MicroCenter offering +5/+10/+25 on trades

stoned99

CAGiversary!
Feedback
128 (100%)
s_eB0907B_36_37.gif

Wait, did he make you buy back the games you traded in for a penny each? Wasn't sure how you ended up with $8 worth of PSX games and why he pennied out all your games.

[quote name='equest943']Wait, did he make you buy back the games you traded in for a penny each? Wasn't sure how you ended up with $8 worth of PSX games and why he pennied out all your games.[/QUOTE]

no no..

I didn't get a penny each for those shitty games I got from EB.. I got between 10-40 cents for each game. I did it in 4 transactions with 9 games each (as the promo stated) which should allow for 25 dollars extra credit certificate back for each transaction so I should have gotten 4 25 ECC's back. The manager today shot me down and was only going to allow for 2 and I had to stick it to him by showing his own promo on the website. He tried to stick it back to me saying "Manager approval" statement on the ECC. When i asked him what is the reason why he is denying me and to clarify the program details (since it says see store associate for details) he would NOT tell me(WTF??!?!) and had the nerve to say that I was trying to "Sham" the system (I think he said that but I have to check the recordings of the argument for it). That's when I got really pissed and said "Are you saying I am trying Fraud you?!?!?" and of course that's when he realized he really fucked up by saying that to a customer. Since he wasn't going to give me the other 2 ECC for the other 2 transactions, I said fine, lets void this and I will take those 18 games back. When he realized he couldn't do it for some reason, he decided to let it slide and say "Ok, I am going to do this for you and let you have it but after this NO MORE" or something like that. I think he did realize that yep he and his employees fucked up, and yep he tried to accuse me of scamming the system, but I wasn't, and knew that if I did report this to the BBB and Corporate, there would be a major investigation of this.

I think what's also happening is that I think there is things happening in that store that he doesn't want Corporate to look into that's why he didn't want to talk to Corporate with me in the store.

As for the check out procedure for my Wii package, other manager went in and over wrote the entire system and manually changed everything to a PENNY! So I got the Wii, MP3:C, another Wiimote, and the charging stations for a total of 5 cents.

The manager firmly stated at the register that I AM NOT TO BRING IN ANY OF THE SAME TITLES AGAIN.

I wasn't banned from trading..but it will be awhile before I trade again.

AS for those remaining ps1 sports games in my car, I wanted to do this in 2 waves but when the manager got involved, and said NO MORE after that, that was it.

That manager was pretty upset that he was allowing the gaming employees to take in old stuff and when he saw the SNES games, he almost blew a fuse.

If it's in the system, they can take it but don't expect much for it. Heck I was loosing like anywhere from 5-10 cents per game traded into them...so I was loosing a bit as well.

Anyways... I didn't expect this much hassle. Even the employees who processed me yesterday caught on and were planning on doing this week. Good luck to them.

its their own fault for not making a fine print and which titles, genres, & platforms should be excluded. i really cant wait to do this again maybe thursday or so. i need a new ps2 :)

[quote name='deenem']do pc games work with this deal[/QUOTE]

LOLZ

NO!

If they did, I would unload my collection oh of about 400 discs.... with that $25 for every 9 offer, I would 1100 worth of certificates+ store credits.

[quote name='phear3d']its their own fault for not making a fine print and which titles, genres, & platforms should be excluded. i really cant wait to do this again maybe thursday or so. i need a new ps2 :)[/QUOTE]

that's what my brother, girlfriend and other good friend said to me...they fucked up and if they didn't make you sign something or charge your CC/Account, once you walk out the door, then it is ILLEGAL if they do it without your permission and you could file a lawsuit against them for that. They could be brought up on charges for that as well.

Funny thing is, the Wii I just got? Well my 360 I got from them just died an hour ago so the Wii will have to entertain me until the 360 comes back online :whistle2:\

which either could be a day via the return of it to Microcenter OR 6 weeks from MicroSOFT if I return it to them.

They wouldn't let me trade in ps1 or n64 games today. Guy working there said he said to have his manager verify the transaction or something and his manager would say they aren't taking them because they won't sell. He told me to come back tomorrow when a different manager is working. I think I'm gonna complain if they get me running through hoops just to say no.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of dated sports games for ps2 and xbox on the wall. Yeah, those will sell.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']They wouldn't let me trade in ps1 or n64 games today. Guy working there said he said to have his manager verify the transaction or something and his manager would say they aren't taking them because they won't sell. He told me to come back tomorrow when a different manager is working. I think I'm gonna complain if they get me running through hoops just to say no.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of dated sports games for ps2 and xbox on the wall. Yeah, those will sell.[/QUOTE]

Well a few things you can do...

Call Cooperate , ask if the game is in the system, can you trade it in? If they say yes, then your clear.

After you talk to Cooperate, go back there, and do the transactions, IF they stop you or give you lip, ask them for the "official" rules of what can and cannot be traded in. If they CANNOT come up with the official rules/policy, then you can stick it to them. Yes it is subject to manager approval BUT your within your legal rights to ask what his refusal is based on? "Because it won't sell.." is NOT a legal reason for turning down the transaction. Yes they can refuse service however you CAN ask the reason. If they do not, or dare to call you a "scammer" (even if it's a slip of the tongue) they will be in deep shit.

Bottom line is that if they cannot come up with an EXCLUSION list, then you have the right to stick it to them. They knew they fucked up royally with me that's why they let it slide. I could have called the BBB and the DA's office and filed a major complain because of what the manager did.

Until they post "EXCLUSIONS APPLY or NO SPORTS TITLES ACCEPTED" then your in the clear.

Just be firm with them and stick it to them...but don't get violent... then they have the right to throw you out.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Yes it is subject to manager approval BUT your within your legal rights to ask what his refusal is based on? "Because it won't sell.." is NOT a legal reason for turning down the transaction. Yes they can refuse service however you CAN ask the reason.[/quote]

i was given this reason when they had the trade 4 get 1 free at FYE. i repeatedly told her that the reason she gave me does not apply to the matter. she still said no so i went home and reported them to BBB.

i went back to the same FYE to trade in Enchanted Arms (when they had it for $59.99 and GS has it for $19.99) to get credit and also traded in a few other titles that i thought they wouldnt take but they did the transaction and gave me my credit, no problem at all. some stores would rather have it the hard way. i hate when managers create their own policies.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']They wouldn't let me trade in ps1 or n64 games today. Guy working there said he said to have his manager verify the transaction or something and his manager would say they aren't taking them because they won't sell. He told me to come back tomorrow when a different manager is working. I think I'm gonna complain if they get me running through hoops just to say no.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of dated sports games for ps2 and xbox on the wall. Yeah, those will sell.[/quote]

I actually sold some n64 games to the Cambridge one....and most of those crappy sports games were mine...

[quote name='caedeskhan']I actually sold some n64 games to the Cambridge one....and most of those crappy sports games were mine...[/QUOTE]

well there ya go.. if they take in your games, then they will take in his games as well.

[quote name='phear3d'] i hate when managers create their own policies.[/QUOTE]

If it's not written down and visible to the customer or avalible for the customer to review, then they might as well be blowing smoke out of their asses.

Just out of curiosity did you guys have to give all your personal info? Are they actually required to ask for that? Also, They capped me at 1 transaction so I brought my dad to do another. Got $8 + $25 in credit for the N64 stuff, $16 for 10 old PS2 and Xbox sports games. Arena football got $2.50...i think that was the best of them.

[quote name='caedeskhan']Just out of curiosity did you guys have to give all your personal info? Are they actually required to ask for that? Also, They capped me at 1 transaction so I brought my dad to do another. Got $8 + $25 in credit for the N64 stuff, $16 for 10 old PS2 and Xbox sports games. Arena football got $2.50...i think that was the best of them.[/QUOTE]

They do require to put in your name in the database..however if your done business with that store before, your name and address should be on file.

According to the written rules which is a big sign below the counter, they are required to check photo id, take down name and address AND get a signature. I think it's a law or something that even pawn shops have to do. I know eb has done it and also Best Buy when I did a trade in with them a few years ago. It's pretty much a paper saying that all the stuff you have traded in was yours and was never stolen or whatever. That usually protects the store from buying stolen goods and fucks you over with the police if it was stolen.

However since I had the receipts of all my games that I traded in in my pocket..I was just waiting for the manager to say "I am not taking in stolen goods..." then I would have pulled out that 4 foot long receipt from GS and sticked it hard to his face! That wording would have gotten the manager and store in some really deep shit with not only Cooperate but the BBB and any other agency I could have complained to.

Since they only took down my name and address (or looked it up) and NEVER got a signature nor checked my ID, well lets just say if they are stupid enough to send me a bill for the Wii transaction that was conducted by a store manager and approved by two of them, I can let cooperate know and I bet you someone is going to get fired and fined for that.

ITDEFX: Thanks, I'll give corporate a call before I head out there. Everything about this deal feels so YMMV and dependent on the clerk that I think I might have to fight with the clerk over the trade in bonus if they do take the games.

[quote name='caedeskhan']I actually sold some n64 games to the Cambridge one....and most of those crappy sports games were mine...[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I didn't see the boxed GBA games and n64 game I traded in before when I was there again. I'd actually be more inclined to buy stuff from n64 days and below anyway more than anything else.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']ITDEFX: Thanks, I'll give corporate a call before I head out there. Everything about this deal feels so YMMV and dependent on the clerk that I think I might have to fight with the clerk over the trade in bonus if they do take the games.

:lol:

I didn't see the boxed GBA games and n64 game I traded in before when I was there again. I'd actually be more inclined to buy stuff from n64 days and below anyway more than anything else.[/QUOTE]

heck when i was at my store, I saw a old GBA (first generation) unit that looked like it was traded in. Let us know know what Cooperate says about the trade in deals.

You can trade in systems (I don't know about the original GBA, I'd have to check the database to see if it's in there), but just don't expect a lot. The values are fairly low for anything pre XBox/ps2/GC generation.

I got denied again today for anything pre- ps2, this time there was even a sign at the game department that said they don't take anything for non-current gaming platforms. It didn't look like something mocked up in 2 minutes so I didn't take it any further, I'm already exhausted enough from all the work I have today.

im so tempted to do this again tomorrow. i was gonna do one yesterday just didn't have enough time. i saw that they had Metal Saga still $49.99 at the Paterson NJ store and i bought this from a TRU sale for $8.96, i wonder how much they're willing to buy it for :)

[quote name='phear3d']im so tempted to do this again tomorrow. i was gonna do one yesterday just didn't have enough time. i saw that they had Metal Saga still $49.99 at the Paterson NJ store and i bought this from a TRU sale for $8.96, i wonder how much they're willing to buy it for :)[/QUOTE]

they may have NOT updated the sticker. This is not eb, so they aren't very pro active updating the stickers on games. Heck I saw RE Zero at my store for 44.99 USED. They admitted they don't update as fast. Yet weeks later it's still sitting on that shelf for that price.

As for your question..you might get around that price. Do an actual price check and then you would get a feel of what it's trade in value.

[quote name='ITDEFX']eshbums

did your store get that same memo and posted a sign not to accept PS1 games?[/QUOTE]

I don't work in one of the stores, I'm located out of the home office.

I live in South-East Missouri, and there are no MicroCenters within less than 3 hours around here. I've never traded any games in actually, so I have a crap load of old games collecting dust. Is there any other stores that ever have any good deals like this?

Thanks for any help!

[quote name='Pyloric']I live in South-East Missouri, and there are no MicroCenters within less than 3 hours around here. I've never traded any games in actually, so I have a crap load of old games collecting dust. Is there any other stores that ever have any good deals like this?

Thanks for any help![/QUOTE]

WRONG topic to post this.

Do I need to bring in a coupon to do this? Or can I find the coupon somewhere in the store? Man...I should have clicked on this a few days ago. I just kept browsing over this. I hope the one I'm near will trade in PS1 games. :)

[quote name='pcktlnt']Do I need to bring in a coupon to do this? Or can I find the coupon somewhere in the store? Man...I should have clicked on this a few days ago. I just kept browsing over this. I hope the one I'm near will trade in PS1 games. :)[/QUOTE]

no no..

look at the microcenter.com store ad AGAIN..page 35-36 I think.

Basically they GIVE you a coupon for each transaction. So if you want to get a lot of coupons, make sure you do this in separate transactions of 9. If you do more then 9 on 1 transaction, then they will only give you 1 coupon. That's the loophole.

[quote name='ITDEFX']no no..

look at the microcenter.com store ad AGAIN..page 35-36 I think.

Basically they GIVE you a coupon for each transaction. So if you want to get a lot of coupons, make sure you do this in separate transactions of 9. If you do more then 9 on 1 transaction, then they will only give you 1 coupon. That's the loophole.[/quote]

Sorry, but where can I find the ad on the webpage? Thanks

[quote name='pcktlnt']Sorry, but where can I find the ad on the webpage? Thanks[/quote]

Nevermind, I found it. I thought it was like spam advertisement :)

Went back again today. Traded in 29 games to the Microcenter in Columbus, Ohio. I traded all in at once forgetting about doing it separate but the guy was cool and still gave me 3 coupons (had to ask his manager but still, no problem).

My store is still taking old stuff, I traded in ps, dc, ps2, and original gb games. Nothing shocking price wise except that if you have power rangers the movie gb then trade it because it got $8.72!

The Madison Heights, MI store will now only accept PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Gamecube, PSP, DS, GBA, and 07 and 08 sports games. My friend's Xbox sports games got rejected, and the guy showed us the handwritten sign behind the counter.

[quote name='emperorx']The Madison Heights, MI store will now only accept PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Gamecube, PSP, DS, GBA, and 07 and 08 sports games. My friend's Xbox sports games got rejected, and the guy showed us the handwritten sign behind the counter.[/QUOTE]

Is that LEGAL?

I say fight it, because it feels like a bait and switch.

Unless it's in PRINT, like an official store memo, then the management of that store is being a real bitch and I would stick it to them as the advertisement does NOT state any exclusions. Subject to manager approval just means he can be a bitch about it but still needs something from Cooperate base his decisions on.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Is that LEGAL?

Unless it's in PRINT, like an official store memo, then the management of that store is being a real bitch and I would stick it to them as the advertisement does NOT state any exclusions. Subject to manager approval just means he can be a bitch about it but still needs something from Cooperate base his decisions on.[/quote]

"Trade-ins subject to manager approval" There is your "PRINT"

You should know that people like your self "ITDEFX" are the reason why there limitations and also why we probally will not run this promotion again for a while, which in turn hurts everyone.

Companies do these deals for to turn profits and create business, not to be taken advantage of.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Is that LEGAL?

Unless it's in PRINT, like an official store memo, then the management of that store is being a real bitch and I would stick it to them as the advertisement does NOT state any exclusions. Subject to manager approval just means he can be a bitch about it but still needs something from Cooperate base his decisions on.[/quote]

Actually I think you will find that "Subject to managers approval" means the manager has been empowered to act in the best interests of the company. Which in your case seems to have happened. I think you should be happy for the ride you've already had and quite complaining. You're lucky the manager doesnt just ban you out of malice.

[quote name='yaddam205']"Trade-ins subject to manager approval" There is your "PRINT"

You should know that people like your self "ITDEFX" are the reason why there limitations and also why we probally will not run this promotion again for a while, which in turn hurts everyone.

Companies do these deals for to turn profits and create business, not to be taken advantage of.[/quote]

while i agree with you half way, your company still should have done its research.

Gamestop have run these promotions (similar to these at least) before where they get an overwhelming response which led them to add exclusions for their future promotions. its not a bad gig if you think about it. it brings people inside your store, regardless. if you deny their transactions because the company made a mistake, then that mistake could turn into a disaster. not necessarily for all transactions, but certain people could affect other people by saying how badly they were treated, etc, etc.

why do you think your company sells games? it makes the least profit. from what you're saying its almost as if micro center is afraid of a small loss. after my excellent experience with micro center, think of the many people that views this particular thread and how it could have affected them. many in which led them to do business with micro center, maybe not just with games. i really don't think its that bad. be thankful that someone is actually buying games at micro center. before i went there to trade games, that was the least place i would have bought my game.

[quote name='phear3d']while i agree with you half way, your company still should have done its research.

Gamestop have run these promotions (similar to these at least) before where they get an overwhelming response which led them to add exclusions for their future promotions. its not a bad gig if you think about it. it brings people inside your store, regardless. if you deny their transactions because the company made a mistake, then that mistake could turn into a disaster. not necessarily for all transactions, but certain people could affect other people by saying how badly they were treated, etc, etc.

why do you think your company sells games? it makes the least profit. from what you're saying its almost as if micro center is afraid of a small loss. after my excellent experience with micro center, think of the many people that views this particular thread and how it could have affected them. many in which led them to do business with micro center, maybe not just with games. i really don't think its that bad. be thankful that someone is actually buying games at micro center. before i went there to trade games, that was the least place i would have bought my game.[/QUOTE]

The lack of limitations was intentional, so as not to not isolate those gamers that only had crappy ps1 sports titles from day one...the point is to get people in the store and check it out, and maybe make a long-term customer out of them.

Sure, you'll have people that will milk the system and bend the rules to get their way, but overall it's been a great way to get the word out.

And yes, 'subject to manager approval' means just that. If a store manager wants to give a thumbs up or thumbs down to a trade, that's his choice. While some stores may want to sell older titles, others may not. The "print" doesn't also guarantee that every game brought in will be purchased. It's left to the store level management to decide.

Bait & Switch is a completely different animal - look it up some time.

yaddam205 said:

"Trade-ins subject to manager approval" There is your "PRINT"

Companies do these deals for to turn profits and create business, not to be taken advantage of.

As a former Assistant Manager of a radio shack years ago, I would need to have something from Cooperate to fall back on in regards to a special promotion. That's one of the few good things I got out of that job, a shit load of training. If a customer wanted to know why I am making the decision, I would tell them and show them any memo the company said.

So your blaming ME that you didn't see this first? wow that's really smart of you. So your saying that it was my fault that 2 years ago Best buy offered me 30 bucks for Robocop for the Xbox,35 bucks for Doom 3, and 30 for Death by degrees. All these games I paid less then 10 bucks for. Yes they fucked up by offering such a high amount for shitty games but that was there fault. In a few weeks they finally stabilized there trade in system and gave out EB values for the games. Best buy offered a trade in for store credit, and I unloaded a bunch of crappy games for the store credit. Heck I remembered back then they had a 10% extra promo coupon to give you a bonus on the trade in. Best buy isn't the type of store that needs to do these things to get the customers to get into the store and buy the stuff...they will come in if they need something electronic or otherwise without a promo.

stoned99 said
I think you should be happy for the ride you've already had and quite complaining. You're lucky the manager doesnt just ban you out of malice.
The only thing I was complaining about was the managers piss poor attitude towards me and having the nerve to saying I was "shamming" the system. As a manager you don't DARE say something THAT STUPID to a customer, espically a customer who has a digital recorder in his pocket recording EVERYTHING you say. I was waiting for him to say "I am not taking in Stolen Property!", and once those words came out of his big mouth, I would have pulled out the two receipts from EB stating EACH TITLE in which I legally paid for! When a customer wants the number to cooperate or wants to see cooperate policy, you are required to provide this information. He not only refused to show me the policy, but refused to call cooperate to get clarification on the promotion. I made him go on the web site and look at the promo for himself. It was after I threaten to report the incident to Cooperate and the BBB that he decided to back down because he knew he fucked up by saying what he said. He knew he didn't have enough information to base is actions on. He also knew that his employees fucked up BIG TIME by not following cooperate procedures which states in a big ass sign in front below the counter that the store will take name, address, phone number, ID and signature. EB/GS makes you do it, BB makes you do it..but Microcenter DID NOT. It's been happening for weeks and the employees haven't taken down that info as required (I think it's law). As soon as he learned of that he assured me that it's gonna stop right now, meaning employees will take that required information from now on. So I did THEM a favor.
At the end of the manager's transaction, (remember that two managers were involved) all I was told that no more multiple same title trade ins...meaning don't bring in 4 copies of Madden '98 to trade. I wasn't banned, I wasn't given any notice what so ever. Heck the next day when my 360 died, I came back to swap it out and walked around the store and saw those same managers and they didn't say SQUAT to me. I was there for about 45 minutes. You think if I was banned from the store, security would have approached me by then.

phear3d said

while i agree with you half way, microcenter still should have done its research.

Agreed. Two things could have prevented this.. 1. Exclusions apply, see store associate for details. 2. Better trained employees!! Every time I go in there it took 45 minutes for them to process 9 games. One guy, although kinda nice just kept on making remarks about everything I was trading in.. "Oh it looks like you didn't play this game much...." , "what's that mark on the disc label?"(it looked like a white powdery substance and I was thinking oh shit some crack addict used the disc to snort his shit and there was left overs).. "Why is this game looked like it is warped?" (a ps2 game, I forget which one but i've seen it happen to all dvd/cd's across all systems including pc's) "Why are you trading in GGx2?" and so on... what the fuck? Other employees didn't know what the fuck they were doing, especially that one guy the other day who tried giving me a coupon that goes into affect AFTER 10/14/06! I had to tell him where the coupons were!

eshbums said

The lack of limitations was intentional, so as not to not isolate those gamers that only had crappy ps1 sports titles from day one...the point is to get people in the store and check it out, and maybe make a long-term customer out of them.

I was really surprised they allowed SNES and other non cd games to be traded in. Based on my frequent shoppings with them, that store has NO PROBLEMS doing business as that place has a lot of lines and a lot of people buying stuff. If I need a generic cable or part that I can't get at best buy or the now gone Compusa, I go to Microcenter. I have been a long term customer with them for over 10 years and I will keep on going for years to come. They have some great deals every once an awhile.

eshbums said

Bait & Switch is a completely different animal - look it up some time.

Maybe B&S wasn't the term I was looking for to express the situation. Yes the promo brought me into the store. However after I traded in all those PS2/XB/GC/DS games and realized that I could have traded in all those PS1/DC games and gotten MORE via the bonus credit after all this time, I should have kept those games. But oh well..it's too late now and Microcenter will turn around and sell them for 2-3 times that amount that I got for them. Like I mentioned earlier, they still have resident evil zero for 44.99!!! Who still has that game for 44.99???

Bottom line people is my Microcenter really fucked up. By not putting up a exclusions apply sign or no sports titles or no PS1 games, but to have not trained their employees on this program which has been in operation for weeks. The final two nails in the coffin for them was the manager arguing with me (and also saying what he said) but also not following Cooperate and local procedures regarding the trade in when it came down to taking names, addresses, phone numbers, ID and signature. For all I know, everyone who traded before me could have brought in stolen property and microcenter bought it all up! By having TWO managers that day who not only allow me to have both the store credit and those coupons but ALLOWED me to use those coupons on one single transactions and giving me the receipt makes it all legal . Now the store manager could have gotten involved and ultimately could have overwrote the other two managers authority. Guess they were more interested in shutting down the employee's activities then trying to screw a customer.

bread's done
Back