Microsoft 2010 E3 - Worst Ever!!!

kingkiller33

CAGiversary!
I am sure that I am not alone in feeling massive disappointment over Microsoft's E3 conference. I knew that the motion control was going to be a major factor, but it appears that the ENTIRE conference was about this product that practically no one is excited about.

Granted, I've only read the Joystiq article, but from the photos, people are dancing and waving arms, oh so much freaking fun. Woohoo! Is Microsoft trying to reign in the Nintendo audience?

So no big new IPs, no big Live annoucements, no Hulu, and they throw in the new Xbox as a big surprise hoping to make up for the complete suck of it all. You fail, MS!!

I wouldn't say it was a total fail, but it certainly wasn't a very strong showing. All the games they showed we have already known about*, and the Kinect demos were sometimes painful to watch/hear.

I was surprised to see Wii Sports coming to the Xbox 360 though.

Despite the lackluster showing, I am still in for one of those new, shiny Xbox 360s.

I give the presentation a C-

my bad, forgot about Codename: Kingdoms

At times it was beyond painful to watch. I had to pull my headphones off. looking forward to Sony tomorrow. If KB is on stage AT ALL, it's a win for Sony.

Yeah, it was pretty dreadful at times.

Rising looked fucking fantastic, that was really all I was excited about. Reach looks cool as well, but I think Rising stole the show.

I'm in for a slim, though. My shitty 60 GB model needs to go.

They also have espn, which I think is cool anyway.

Edit: Made what I said make sense. If that makes any sense.

Really pushing Kinect this year, still hoping to cash in on the fad of motion controls by giving it some extra features. Neat, but not worth spending my money on.

Games, we got nothing truly huge. A new IP, cool. New videos, cool. The Xbox Slim, leaked early....not world shattering. I only geeked out for ESPN

Poor show IMO. I'd agree with a C-

I thought the games that were not Kinect related showed well, although the amount of time the 3rd party games got was quite small. There was no Crackdown 2, no Summer of Arcade announcements, but I thought the ESPN presentation looked great. The overall Kinect experience showed very well on stage. It was for the non-hardcore gamer, so many here will be disappointed, but those of us with kids were smiling. My wife might like the fitness game, and moving around the dash with gesture and voice worked.

Hardcore games coming in 2011.

It was really good up until Halo Reach. After that it went downhill. Only decent thing then was the Slim 360 at the end.

I enjoyed Black Ops/Gears Of War 3/MGS/Halo Reach and the slim 360 announced. Rest was garbage.

Missed it as I didn't think it started yet (google told me it started tomorrow the lying bastards).

But for espn, is it a subscription service like netflix or for free? If the latter, I would be a fan of that probably.

I think you all forget when nintendo's major headlining game was Pac-Man Vs. That was the worst E3 conference I have ever watched.

I like the exercise game where it measured your limbs and scanned your body. The dance game looked good too... the one thing I learned is that that game will need a disclaimer... "Just because you learn the moves does NOT mean you can Dance." The new 360 looks nice... (a lot like a PS3); and I'm wondering just how much "whisper quiet" it can be.

[quote name='JStryke']Missed it as I didn't think it started yet (google told me it started tomorrow the lying bastards).

But for espn, is it a subscription service like netflix or for free? If the latter, I would be a fan of that probably.[/QUOTE]

ESPN is free for Gold Members, that was all they said. Live programming and On Demand.

was it that they had nothing to show, or that they just showed nothing? Option A is scary, option B just means they're waiting for PAX or something to show off the fun stuff.

Far and away the worst Microsoft conference ever... Sony and Nintendo have each had some bad ones in recent days, but make no mistake, this one was certainly a contender for the worst in my mind.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']So do you have to have Kinect to use the ESPN service?[/QUOTE]

they were using controllers for the ESPN stuff.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I think you all forget when nintendo's major headlining game was Pac-Man Vs. That was the worst E3 conference I have ever watched.[/QUOTE]

how about just Nintendo 97-05? Except for the hype for the DS, all of those were fucking terrible.

That being said, I thought MS's show was decent. Nothing really outstanding outside of the new COW but definitely not as bad as the fanboys are making it out to be.

I thought the show itself was ok, as there were several Kinect games that looked fun, but I knew something was up when they didn't announce a price. The listings I found on gamestop (which I posted in another thread) show that it will be $149 and games will be $60, which is probably not a good idea if they want to get this into a lot of households. I know I had no plans to even consider one unless it was $99 with a wii sports type pack in game. Instead, I can get them for a combined $210, more than double what I was looking to pay. Not to mention that the unit is almost the cost of a Wii system.

It was a disaster imo. Rising was great, COD: Black Ops was awesome, and that was about it. I don't care what anyone says, Kinect is simply a gimmick and it has been done before, successfully, by Nintendo. The games looked absolutely boring as hell. Kinectanimals or whatever? Are you kidding me? Or how about the "game" that was looking at a Ferrari for 5 minutes. I can do that in real life in a shopping mall parking lot. I don't want to pay $60 for "Dealership: The Game." Oh great now I'm signing a lease, but wait, the salesman needs to talk to his boss before he gets the ok?!?! My heart is racing! Stupid.

What's next, "Paint Dry 360?" Who's color will dry first after you paint it with Kinect? You and 4 of your friends can all redecorate a room and see who's paint is sticky the longest! Wow talk about not knowing your audience...touch games for adults and then touch games for little kids. No hardcore gaming, no games at all really. At least Nintendo usually sticks with the kid crowd for the most part.

I was honestly excited for ESPN to be on the 360. How sad is that? That should have been a feature that was included in between some new IP and a brand new price point for the console. Instead, it was in my top 3 favorite things during the conference.

Will Kinect fail? I honestly don't know. I think it really depends on the price. Look at it this way: The Wii will cost someone $149.99-$199.99 depending on the model with 2 games included and motion sensing. The 360 with a Kinect will cost...what? $149.99-$299.99 for the console alone, possibly $179.99 for the Kinect (going by pure rumor of course), and $60 for a game? Holy balls. No parent will buy that for their kid when the Wii is the better, easier option. If Kinect is $60, then it will sell like crazy. Hell, I'll buy it at that price. If it's $1 above that, count me out. I don't care that much when my Wii barely gets played as it is.

[quote name='Pck21']It was a disaster imo. Rising was great, COD: Black Ops was awesome, and that was about it. I don't care what anyone says, Kinect is simply a gimmick and it has been done before, successfully, by Nintendo. The games looked absolutely boring as hell. Kinectanimals or whatever? Are you kidding me? Or how about the "game" that was looking at a Ferrari for 5 minutes. I can do that in real life in a shopping mall parking lot. I don't want to pay $60 for "Dealership: The Game." Oh great now I'm signing a lease, but wait, the salesman needs to talk to his boss before he gets the ok?!?! My heart is racing! Stupid.

What's next, "Paint Dry 360?" Who's color will dry first after you paint it with Kinect? You and 4 of your friends can all redecorate a room and see who's paint is sticky the longest! Wow talk about not knowing your audience...touch games for adults and then touch games for little kids. No hardcore gaming, no games at all really. At least Nintendo usually sticks with the kid crowd for the most part.

I was honestly excited for ESPN to be on the 360. How sad is that? That should have been a feature that was included in between some new IP and a brand new price point for the console. Instead, it was in my top 3 favorite things during the conference.

Will Kinect fail? I honestly don't know. I think it really depends on the price. Look at it this way: The Wii will cost someone $149.99-$199.99 depending on the model with 2 games included and motion sensing. The 360 with a Kinect will cost...what? $149.99-$299.99 for the console alone, possibly $179.99 for the Kinect (going by pure rumor of course), and $60 for a game? Holy balls. No parent will buy that for their kid when the Wii is the better, easier option. If Kinect is $60, then it will sell like crazy. Hell, I'll buy it at that price. If it's $1 above that, count me out. I don't care that much when my Wii barely gets played as it is.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps MS invested too much money in Kinect and no turning back now. Otherwise, I don't see the logic in asking a high price point for a product that has no built in audience. I thought they would at least try to show how Kinect can work for mature games like FPS.

I can't wait to hear what CheapyD has to say about it.

[quote name='dizee']this was worse then sony in 2006.[/QUOTE]

...nothing was worse than Sony in 2006, at least in the "modern era" of E3.

This was bad. I was expecting it to be bad though, so...shrug. If I had been anticipating something awesome, I'd be pretty fucking annoyed. The ESPN thing was nice but not something I really care about with my gaming console. And if this leads to the rumored Gold price hike or "platinum" member status (since ESPN is supposedly free for gold members), screw that.

Once this stupid gimmick fails I'd hope they will get refocused.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Perhaps MS invested too much money in Kinect and no turning back now. Otherwise, I don't see the logic in asking a high price point for a product that has no built in audience. I thought they would at least try to show how Kinect can work for mature games like FPS.

I can't wait to hear what CheapyD has to say about it.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you but I'm reading prices anywhere from $80-$180 and that's just way too much for something like this. I don't know how Kinect could work with an FPS unless someone wants to hold an invisible gun for hours on end? I sure don't. When I game, I want to relax, not move and flail about my living room like a moron. Did you see those people up there "playing" games? They looked nothing short of mental.

Did anyone happen to catch the Star Wars game? How bad did that look? At first I was like, "Ah here we go. Lightsaber action? Go on..." At the end I was like, "So, Sega CD is coming out with a new game. Awesome." It looked terrible. I mean, just downright awful. Mark my words: This will not appeal to hardcore gamers and they will not sell Kinect games to a built in hardcore audience that plays Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, etc. They should know their audience by now and it is not filled by cute little asian girls who want to pet virtual tigers for 4 hours.

Every year the Haters proclaim 'Worst E3 Press Conference Evar!" even when I thought they had showed off some really good stuff. But this was by far the worst E3 presser Of All Time. What a massive huge disappointment. I honestly thought they would have some truly unique and compelling Natal games something like Milo, but it was all 100% crap minigame collections. Honestly, this is not good for MS of the 360 at all, this is gonna really hurt them the next year.

I thought they were going to show some bad ass new IPs for the Kinect and all they showed off was crappy ass shovelware, Wii sports/fit rip offs, and no new IPs by 3rd party developers. Kind of lame if you ask me. Even lamer is the fact that as of right now this year the Kinect has little to no third party support. That could be a death sentence for the Kinect. With an add on peripheral like the Kinect you need a strong showing right off the gate. Otherwise you have a sega CD or 32x situation on your hands.

Showing was alright. I expected them to spend most of their time showcasing KINETIC.
Looks fun. Better and easier than waving sticks around and standing on a plastic board.
Can't wait to see some games for the hardcore gamer using Kinetic, or a combination of Kinetic and controller.
Hopefully some really interesting games will be shown by the time it launches in November.

[quote name='usickenme']When you don't even price your Next Big thing....that's a problem[/QUOTE]

No, when you price your machine so high that you tell consumers to work overtime for it, then you're asking for problems. $599, Giant Enemy Crabs, Riiiiidge Racer! No press conference will ever fail as hard as Sony's.

MS is simply waiting for Sony to show it's hand in regards to MOVE pricing. Business tactics.
Probably be $149. Then you'll see the $129 and $99 price drops.

I didn't see it as much of a failure, but that's because it hit all the notes I assumed it would heading in. Microsoft (and, to an extent, Sony) is putting a ton of eggs into the 'motion' basket, attempting to keep this console cycle going for a bit longer. If Kinect and Move hit the market like a wet fart, I guarantee we see at least one company announce a new console next year.

Ultimately, outside of new IPs (which are hit or miss anyway), there's not much more 'wow' that can come out of this generation. We know the consoles, we're getting close to what they're capable of, and the Wii is destroying them. Where else do they go from here? We already know most (all?) of the big holiday titles for 360 at this point, so anything new was going to be WELL into the future anyway (which, again, if Kinect crashes and burns, may shorten the time until a new console).

Was it exciting? Not really. Was it expected? Certainly.

I'm expecting more out of Nintendo than any company this year, mainly because they'll show a new handheld, and they really haven't announced much beyond that. One of the main points is that Metroid is coming out late August, but we still have *zero* big Wii titles for next holiday. There's gotta be *something*. (fingers crossed)

I watched it with my kid step-bro, and it wasn't all that bad. There was a distinct lack of actual games, but the technology they presented was pretty fucking impressive. The dance game looks like a lot of fun.

Will I buy it? No. But still, I thought it was a good conference.

The problem with Kinetic is that all its games are basically shovelware....

I think that little girl summed up the press conference for MS; "Awwwwww that's okay Skittles" [we'll get em next year]

Watching G4 right now, they brought up some great points:

1.) We've seen this "system" and games before on Nintendo's Wii...Nintendogs (Skittles the tiger), Wii Sports, cart racing, etc.

2.) You still have to have an Xbox 360 to use the Kinect (What I've been saying all along).

3.) Appealing to who exactly? Kids? At what price does it appeal to everyone?

Looking back on it, the games they showed for Kinect were carbon copies of Wii Sports and Nintendogs. "Kinect Sports?" You couldn't even change the name? Might as well of put "Wii Sports" up there and crossed out the "Wii" with red crayon for effect.

I'm ticked off because I was really excited for Microsoft's conference because they usually have some great stuff. I thought the Kinect would be like Minority Report or something and instead it's a blatant rip off. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo found a way to sue them tbh. Hopefully Sony's Move will showcase better...ugh.

[quote name='KaneRobot']The ESPN thing was nice but not something I really care about with my gaming console. And if this leads to the rumored Gold price hike or "platinum" member status (since ESPN is supposedly free for gold members), screw that.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully the additional ad revenue ESPN will be able to get will keep it profitable to them so that Gold memberships won't see a price hike.

[quote name='kingkiller33']
I can't wait to hear what CheapyD has to say about it.[/QUOTE]

[sarcasm] Cheapy thought Natal was a stupid idea. Then, Cheapy got a free 360 Slim at E3. Now Cheapy loves Kinect. ;) [/sarcasm]

[quote name='DeilGyre']Showing was alright. I expected them to spend most of their time showcasing KINETIC.
Looks fun. Better and easier than waving sticks around and standing on a plastic board.
Can't wait to see some games for the hardcore gamer using Kinetic, or a combination of Kinetic and controller.
Hopefully some really interesting games will be shown by the time it launches in November.[/QUOTE]

There's another huge problem: The name. It's called "Kinect" as in "connect" and "kinetic" combined. You seem to be a fan of MS and don't know how to pronounce it. Stupid name for a stupid product in my opinion.

Here's what Joystiq says about HDD transfer:

The hard drive is 250GB, and there's a tab on the bottom that you can pull out to replace it if necessary. Transfer software is built into the system this time, so all you have to do is plug one end of the cable into the system, the other end into the hard drive, and then transfer away -- no disc needed

I'm guessing the cap is still 250gb HDD.

Disclaimer: I didn't see the press conference, I've only seen pictures of the new 360 and Kinect.

Regarding recognizing their audience. They have, and it's largely tapped out. That's the reason for Kinect. Bringing it to market has to have benn (still is) a massive undertaking. At the same time I think they know that their core audience isn't going anywhere. You all complain about this being the worst ever, but are you going to sell your 360s? I doubt it. So what Microsoft primarily had to do was show Kinect and they've done that. It also doesn't hurt to show a new 360 that promises, at least, to rid them of reliability issues and noise.

Except for that not naming the price of Kinect bit. Ouch.

[quote name='Thomas96']Gamestop has a price for Kinetic: 149.99

http://kotaku.com/5563233/gamestop-prices-kinect-new-xbox-360-kinect-bundles[/QUOTE]

So they priced themselves out of the market already.

Arcade ($149.99) + Kinect ($149.99) + 1 Kinect game ($59.99) = $359.97 before taxes.

OR

Kinect Arcade Bundle ($299.99) + 1 Kinect game ($59.99) = $359.98 before taxes.

Nintendo Wii w/ 2 games ($199.99) = $199.99 before taxes.

I'm not going to include the Elite Kinect bundles because that's just unfair.

[quote name='007']
Was it exciting? Not really. Was it expected? Certainly.
[/QUOTE]

A voice of reason on CAG? Man, and I thought...

Thanks, seriously.

[quote name='Pck21']So they priced themselves out of the market already.

Arcade ($149.99) + Kinect ($149.99) + 1 Kinect game ($59.99) = $359.97 before taxes.

OR

I'm not going to include the Elite Kinect bundles because that's just unfair.[/QUOTE]

The Arcade price is only temporary though. It's a clearance sale on older units.

[quote name='Pck21']So they priced themselves out of the market already.

OR

I'm not going to include the Elite Kinect bundles because that's just unfair.[/QUOTE]

149.99 gives you at least one game... its a bundle of some sorts... I would hope they'd give you The Kinectic sports and at least two more...damn. Plus the Kinectic games should cost about 30 dollars each.

I can't see them charging 60 for that stuff... [update: they are charging 60 for 2 of the games]

bread's done
Back