Minnesota Deals Topic

gameguy22006

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Thought I'd go ahead and create a topic for Minnesota. As usual, be sure to include specific info such as the store's location when posting a deal (and of course, information about the deal itself). Enjoy! :)

This is a BIG YMMV, but I just stopped into the EB in Apple Valley to pick up a pre-order and sitting on the counter were two TOTALLY COMPLETE copies of Lunar Silver Star Story AND Lunar 2.

Was there a reprint that I was unaware of?

The manager said that they were just shipped to him today, so maybe there's some kind of stockpile somewhere that no one knew about. It could be worth a call to your local EB to see if they got some copies in as well. You may just get lucky.

[quote name='nintendokid']And...why didn't you pick them up for yourself? :)

It's too bad I just have other games to buy instead! But.. new complete Lunar 1 and 2?[/QUOTE]

lol, guess I left that part out. Of course I bought them! How could I pass those up!?

[quote name='Azeroth2k']This is a BIG YMMV, but I just stopped into the EB in Apple Valley to pick up a pre-order and sitting on the counter were two TOTALLY COMPLETE copies of Lunar Silver Star Story AND Lunar 2.

The manager said that they were just shipped to him today, so maybe there's some kind of stockpile somewhere that no one knew about. It could be worth a call to your local EB to see if they got some copies in as well. You may just get lucky.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that happened to me to but with other games, they had Persona 2 and Rhapsody in stock in one day at my local gamestop both complete the sales guy said it was kind of weird they got a bunch of copies at the same time as other stores.

[quote name='Azeroth2k']This is a BIG YMMV, but I just stopped into the EB in Apple Valley to pick up a pre-order and sitting on the counter were two TOTALLY COMPLETE copies of Lunar Silver Star Story AND Lunar 2.

The manager said that they were just shipped to him today, so maybe there's some kind of stockpile somewhere that no one knew about. It could be worth a call to your local EB to see if they got some copies in as well. You may just get lucky.[/QUOTE]

Well, with Working Designs closed and out of business, I doubt they were reprints. They must have found a bunch somewhere though as I recall witnessing the same thing at the Maplewood EB about a week and a half ago (couple copies of Lunar 1 and 2 on the counter...didn't look to see if they were new or preowned).

[quote name='Teodoric79']Yeah that happened to me to but with other games, they had Persona 2 and Rhapsody in stock in one day at my local gamestop both complete the sales guy said it was kind of weird they got a bunch of copies at the same time as other stores.[/QUOTE]

That's actually why I wondered if they were reprints. Persona 2 and Rhapsody were both reprinted recently so they aren't really rare anymore. I've picked up Persona 2 myself and it was obviously new sold as used.

[quote name='Nogib']Well, with Working Designs closed and out of business, I doubt they were reprints. They must have found a bunch somewhere though as I recall witnessing the same thing at the Maplewood EB about a week and a half ago (couple copies of Lunar 1 and 2 on the counter...didn't look to see if they were new or preowned).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I suppose that's true. Hard to reprint something when you're out of business. But their closing down was the first thing that came to mind...and that maybe they had some copies at their HQ or something.

After looking at the condition of the discs, Silver Star Story is MINT. Not a scratch to be seen, but Eternal Blue has visible small scratches that come with use. If they're not new they've been VERY taken care of, which is refreshing considering most used games you see are wrecked beyond description.

I just went to a place called games 4 less in Lino Lakes. It was pretty cool. It had all the old school games and systems, with the new and dvd's. The prices were decent and almost all the old school games were buy 2 get 1 free. I bought I just bought 3 nes games i have been looking for and 3 snes games. I just thought I would let you guys know, I just can't stand gamestop and there cold pushy attitudes, pluss they have old school whitch are hard to find now a day's.

[quote name='bisache']I just went to a place called games 4 less in Lino Lakes. It was pretty cool. It had all the old school games and systems, with the new and dvd's. The prices were decent and almost all the old school games were buy 2 get 1 free. I bought I just bought 3 nes games i have been looking for and 3 snes games. I just thought I would let you guys know, I just can't stand gamestop and there cold pushy attitudes, pluss they have old school whitch are hard to find now a day's.[/QUOTE]

We have a store like that in Duluth called All Game that has nothing but classic games on west 1st Street right up one block and to the left after you pass Pizza Luce coming up on Hwy 35 its kind of hard to miss but they had a real good selection since last time I went there.

If anyone is still looking for the Xbox 360, they have the bundles in stock (as of 10 minutes ago) at the Costco in Coon Rapids. It's the $488 bundle with the included hard drive, extra controller, play and charge kit, and Project Gotham Racing 3. I don't know how many they have, as they only had one on display at the front of the store.

[quote name='inubu']If anyone is still looking for the Xbox 360, they have the bundles in stock (as of 10 minutes ago) at the Costco in Coon Rapids. It's the $488 bundle with the included hard drive, extra controller, play and charge kit, and Project Gotham Racing 3. I don't know how many they have, as they only had one on display at the front of the store.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I believe that is the only place in the entire Anoka area that has 360s in on a near regular basis. Its not a bad deal either, but I'm going to wait until the premium can be had for around $250-300 before I jump to the 360.

[quote name='bisache']I just went to a place called games 4 less in Lino Lakes. It was pretty cool. It had all the old school games and systems, with the new and dvd's. The prices were decent and almost all the old school games were buy 2 get 1 free. I bought I just bought 3 nes games i have been looking for and 3 snes games. I just thought I would let you guys know, I just can't stand gamestop and there cold pushy attitudes, pluss they have old school whitch are hard to find now a day's.[/QUOTE]
how were the prices on the nes games?

[quote name='Nogib']Well, with Working Designs closed and out of business, I doubt they were reprints. They must have found a bunch somewhere though as I recall witnessing the same thing at the Maplewood EB about a week and a half ago (couple copies of Lunar 1 and 2 on the counter...didn't look to see if they were new or preowned).[/QUOTE]

The gamestop in mankato, mn (the one in the mall) had arc the lad collection, lunar 1 and 2 like this also. They were pretty beat up. I got arc the lad and ran out of their before I spent more money (I have lunars disk and case already)

[quote name='rally9x']The gamestop in mankato, mn (the one in the mall) had arc the lad collection, lunar 1 and 2 like this also. They were pretty beat up. I got arc the lad and ran out of their before I spent more money (I have lunars disk and case already)[/QUOTE]
Last time I was at the Midway St. Paul Gamestop they had 3-4 complete arc the lad collections and 1 of the lunars. No way they were reprints all of the boxes had scuffing on the outside and the bare cardboard edges that are supposed to be white were very yellowed.

[quote name='billyG']how were the prices on the nes games?[/QUOTE]

From what I remember pretty reasonable. All the old school games (nes, snes,n64,ps1 and even gb and gba) and dvd's were buy 2 get 1 free. I think there most expensive game was Zelda at $17.99, but everything averaged around $5 or $6.

Does anyone know any good places around the Twin Cities, specifically the Southern Metro, that has a decent selection of game or anime figures/statues?

I don't know if this is nationwide but the Toys R Us in Blaine is supposed to be getting (if they haven't already) Elecktroplankton for the DS. I was in a few weeks ago and saw the display boxes sitting there. The R Zone folks told me that they are just waiting for the copies to come in. I'm going by today (as in Sunday) to see if they got it in yet. :D

The EB games at the Eden Prarie Mall has Klonoa for the PS1 (without the back slip) for 15, amd Rhaphsody for 30. and a store called Too Cool (bottom floor near EB) has some neat anime and game related stuff too, like a mini keyblade from kingdom hearts. just to let everyone know

Any one know any pawn shops that have a decent selection and prices on NES games? Pawnamerica in robinsdale sucks, they want 50$ + for final fantasy III for SNES.

On another note, has anyone ever found a decent deal at Games N Go? Since they are one of the few stores around that sells older games I stop in there every once and a while only to realize that they want 250$ for Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Duluth MN TRU is now 50% off games and 70% off accessories. Its also closing in 6 days. Still had some decent DS stuff repriced a lot of stuff to so they are more expensive then a week ago. They had Baiten Kaitos at 30 before discount and they had Battalion Wars like 5 copies since someone had asked about that. I was tempted to get a couple newer games but I realized I can wait a few months to get them when I have the actual time to play them.

[quote name='Azeroth2k']Does anyone know any good places around the Twin Cities, specifically the Southern Metro, that has a decent selection of game or anime figures/statues?[/QUOTE]

Shinders? Up in Roseville? It's very decent ish. Not the greatest.

MN has a lot of pages.

I remember when they had the "reprints" of Gitaroo Man, Rhasody, Persona 2.. they call it more like "suddenly finding it and giving it away" or something.

[quote name='Teodoric79']Duluth MN TRU is now 50% off games and 70% off accessories. Its also closing in 6 days. Still had some decent DS stuff repriced a lot of stuff to so they are more expensive then a week ago. They had Baiten Kaitos at 30 before discount and they had Battalion Wars like 5 copies since someone had asked about that. I was tempted to get a couple newer games but I realized I can wait a few months to get them when I have the actual time to play them.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like some good deals, but unfortunatly I live in the twin cities area.

[quote name='Azeroth2k']Does anyone know any good places around the Twin Cities, specifically the Southern Metro, that has a decent selection of game or anime figures/statues?[/QUOTE]
There is a large comic book store a couple of blocks from the roseville gamecrazy on snelling. Can't remember the name, it is on the corner and on one side of it is a gas station and the other side is some fancy resturant. Went in there once on the .0001% chance they would have video games, they had a ton of stuff though, even stuff like sealed gi joes from WWII.

[quote name='1SwtDeception']Shinders? Up in Roseville? It's very decent ish. Not the greatest.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought Shinders may have had SOME kind of selection, but the one in Burnsville had almost nothing. Maybe I'll have to check out a different one.

[quote name='billyG']There is a large comic book store a couple of blocks from the roseville gamecrazy on snelling. Can't remember the name, it is on the corner and on one side of it is a gas station and the other side is some fancy resturant. Went in there once on the .0001% chance they would have video games, they had a ton of stuff though, even stuff like sealed gi joes from WWII.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll check it out.

[quote name='billyG']There is a large comic book store a couple of blocks from the roseville gamecrazy on snelling. Can't remember the name, it is on the corner and on one side of it is a gas station and the other side is some fancy resturant. Went in there once on the .0001% chance they would have video games, they had a ton of stuff though, even stuff like sealed gi joes from WWII.[/QUOTE]

The name of it is The Source and, while the do carry a bit of anime stuff, IIRC its mostly gaming and comic books. Its been a few months since I've been there so they may have started carrying more anime.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The name of it is The Source and, while the do carry a bit of anime stuff, IIRC its mostly gaming and comic books. Its been a few months since I've been there so they may have started carrying more anime.[/QUOTE]

I live just a mile from the place and it's absolutely awesome. Lots of new and classic tabletop games, comic books and comic book stuff, etc. There are anime DVD's in the north side of the store as you walk in and past the counter.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The name of it is The Source and, while the do carry a bit of anime stuff, IIRC its mostly gaming and comic books. Its been a few months since I've been there so they may have started carrying more anime.[/QUOTE]

The Source! I remember when they used to run TV commercials during afternoon cartoons way back in the early 90's. I forgot about that place.

The Source has great stuff.. but damn it's expensive (at least in my eyes). They have rare stuff... Well the stuff animal I got was $24-26 dollars. Cute thing, but too much.

[quote name='billyG']Any one know any pawn shops that have a decent selection and prices on NES games? Pawnamerica in robinsdale sucks, they want 50$ + for final fantasy III for SNES.

On another note, has anyone ever found a decent deal at Games N Go? Since they are one of the few stores around that sells older games I stop in there every once and a while only to realize that they want 250$ for Panzer Dragoon Saga.[/QUOTE]

I just went to games 4 less in Lino to get some snes games today. They are ok priced and they have all the old and new stuff. They probably had about 60 nes games, alittle more of the snes and probably close to 100 n64. The best thing is if you buy 2 you get 1 free.

[quote name='bisache']I just went to games 4 less in Lino to get some snes games today. They are ok priced and they have all the old and new stuff. They probably had about 60 nes games, alittle more of the snes and probably close to 100 n64. The best thing is if you buy 2 you get 1 free.[/QUOTE]

Where exactly is this place? I tried doing an internet search for it, but can't find it.

[quote name='inubu']Where exactly is this place? I tried doing an internet search for it, but can't find it.[/quote]

It's in Lino Lakes off of Birch st. and Hodgson rd. in the spirit hills little mall between a liquir store and a gas station. Look it up on mapquest.

[quote name='bisache']It's in Lino Lakes off of Birch st. and Hodgson rd. in the spirit hills little mall between a liquir store and a gas station. Look it up on mapquest.[/QUOTE]

I stopped by after work. Thanks for the directions. I wouldn't have found it in a million years otherwise.

It's the first time I've seen that many NES games in one place in one time for a long time. I was hunting for some old Gameboy games, which they had quite a few of, but not any of the ones I was looking for.

Duluth Tru was down to 70% the store was pretty bare prolly about a row of stuff still left total in the store small handful of games including Battallion Wars.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Any TNA figures left... especially any Jeff Jarrett ones? :rofl:

(Yeah even those are probably gone but I thought I'd ask)[/quote]

Sorry no they were gone when I looked next day store was pretty picked clean.

I also tried to get some of the posters for games in their secure storage room but they wouldn't give them to me.

Oh well I think they're closed now no time to go up and check though.

For those of who who have been sleeping in a cave... Circuit City has a 360 relaunch this Sunday and yes Northtown will have a few 360s in stock (along with the rest of the Twin Cities). I highly recommend if you are looking to score a 360 to show up early. Stores open at 10 AM, but who knows what kind of line up there will be before opening. There will be vouchers for those who show up early.

[quote name='dbiersdorf']Got a complete copy of Final Fantasy III on the SNES at Games 'n Go for $50.[/QUOTE]
That reminds me, Toyriffic over at Maplewood has a LOT of complete SNES games in right now. Off the top of my head there was Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, Ogre Battle, and Breath of Fire II. They were sealed but I'm pretty sure that it was just a reseal job. The kicker though is that they're all about $100 each...

[quote name='dbiersdorf']Got a complete copy of Final Fantasy III on the SNES at Games 'n Go for $50.[/QUOTE]
Surprising to hear games 'n go had a decent price on something.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That reminds me, Toyriffic over at Maplewood has a LOT of complete SNES games in right now. Off the top of my head there was Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, Ogre Battle, and Breath of Fire II. They were sealed but I'm pretty sure that it was just a reseal job. The kicker though is that they're all about $100 each...[/quote]

Yeah, they are all reseal and they aren't a dick about it, they tell you straight up that it's not new and they only do that so it keeps dust and oxygen from killing the box. Cool thing is, they let you check out any game and they from top to bottom and don't watch you like you are going to steal it. It is quite spendy, but remember, they do negotiate and bargain, to my knowledge. I scored 11 Dragonball Z dvds (the uncut originals all with cases) last summer for $90 - much, much cheaper than Ebay, trust me on that. I went in there last month and sadly, all of the DBZ stuff are gone. But oh well, if anyone else knows where to get alot of DBZ dvds for a good deal (not Suncoast) tell me about it.

[quote name='nintendokid']Yeah, they are all reseal and they aren't a dick about it, they tell you straight up that it's not new and they only do that so it keeps dust and oxygen from killing the box. Cool thing is, they let you check out any game and they from top to bottom and don't watch you like you are going to steal it. It is quite spendy, but remember, they do negotiate and bargain, to my knowledge. I scored 11 Dragonball Z dvds (the uncut originals all with cases) last summer for $90 - much, much cheaper than Ebay, trust me on that. I went in there last month and sadly, all of the DBZ stuff are gone. But oh well, if anyone else knows where to get alot of DBZ dvds for a good deal (not Suncoast) tell me about it.[/QUOTE]
The gamestop near ridgedale has a ton of DBZ dvds and they are all B2G1F.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That reminds me, Toyriffic over at Maplewood has a LOT of complete SNES games in right now. Off the top of my head there was Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, Ogre Battle, and Breath of Fire II. They were sealed but I'm pretty sure that it was just a reseal job. The kicker though is that they're all about $100 each...[/QUOTE]
Hmm, interesting. I work at the Toyriffic in Eau Claire, so I'll have to call up one of my friends from the Maplewood store to get the scoop on these.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Hmm, interesting. I work at the Toyriffic in Eau Claire, so I'll have to call up one of my friends from the Maplewood store to get the scoop on these.[/quote]

YESS! Finally, a Toyriffic employee. Will you please enlighten me and the rest of us? Since the beginning of time, I've been wondering about these things:

1) Is Toyriffic a local, regional, or national chain? I know it only exists in MN and WI. Are there other places?

2) Who is the owner anyway?

3) Are employees swapped from location to location? I used to go to college in River Falls and I stopped at the Hudson location one time. I went to the Maplewood a few months later and bam! The same employee (I know it's the same because of the long hair).

AND

4) WHAT'S UP WITH TOYRIFFIC'S PRICING??????!!!!! 99% of what they have can be found for $10-20 cheaper, and sometimes, in better condition, on eBay and even here on CAG. *Thinks about the ridiculous N64 prices*

[quote name='nintendokid']YESS! Finally, a Toyriffic employee. Will you please enlighten me and the rest of us? Since the beginning of time, I've been wondering about these things:

1) Is Toyriffic a local, regional, or national chain? I know it only exists in MN and WI. Are there other places?

2) Who is the owner anyway?

3) Are employees swapped from location to location? I used to go to college in River Falls and I stopped at the Hudson location one time. I went to the Maplewood a few months later and bam! The same employee (I know it's the same because of the long hair).

AND

4) WHAT'S UP WITH TOYRIFFIC'S PRICING??????!!!!! 99% of what they have can be found for $10-20 cheaper, and sometimes, in better condition, on eBay and even here on CAG. *Thinks about the ridiculous N64 prices*[/QUOTE]

Actualy, I can answer one of those....

#3 - Employees ocassionaly help out at other locations, especialy during the 50% off sales.

And I can guess at a couple others....

#1 - I'm pretty sure its a "local" thing, with stores being in Rice Lake, Hudson, and Eau Claire in WI and Maplewood in MN

#4 - Its because people will pay it. You will not believe the stupid people and white trash that comes into the Eau Claire store. Ask Kirin for a couple stories, he has plenty.

[quote name='nintendokid']YESS! Finally, a Toyriffic employee. Will you please enlighten me and the rest of us? Since the beginning of time, I've been wondering about these things:

1) Is Toyriffic a local, regional, or national chain? I know it only exists in MN and WI. Are there other places?[/QUOTE]
Regional. We have stores in Maplewood, Hudson, Eau Claire, and Rice Lake. Used to have one in Menomonie, owned by cousins of the owners, but due to some incident involving bad business practices, they were forced to change their name. I don't know any of the juicy details, sadly.

(2) Who is the owner anyway?
A married couple, Dave and Denise, are the owners. They live in the Minneapolis area.

Haha, I bet that's Marcus. The Hudson and Maplewood stores often swap employees because they're so close, but Rice Lake and Eau Claire have their own staff. At one point it was only myself and another person working in Eau Claire, so every other weekend or so they'd send one of those employees down to give us a day off - but now we have four guys working in Eau Claire, so we don't have that problem anymore. Whew.

(4) WHAT'S UP WITH TOYRIFFIC'S PRICING??????!!!!! 99% of what they have can be found for $10-20 cheaper, and sometimes, in better condition, on eBay and even here on CAG. *Thinks about the ridiculous N64 prices*
The eternal mystery. I know a guy working at the Maplewood store was doing the prices at one time, but he quit a few months ago. I'm under the impression that a lot of the better stuff gets priced at "what we can sell it at." Sometimes this price is average, sometimes it's a little low, and sometimes it's crazy-high.

I do my best to update the Eau Claire price books to reflect any sort of price drops, but unfortunately I can't alter some of the more pricey, older stuff. I'll occasionally mention when something is unreasonably high to my superiors (SNES Mario Kart used to be $39.95, but I managed to get them to drop it to $29.95 - we have a ton, and it's no wonder!), but that's no guarantee it'll change, and I certainly can't fix everything. I'm probably one of three employees chain-wide that are aware of the actual value of this stuff, and we try to change it as best we can (one of them works at the Eau Claire store with me, and lurks on these boards every now and then). Anything that's not priced concretely in the price books, such as DVDs, I'm much more generous with.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask![/QUOTE]
I have a question for you... Do you guys have a complete copy of Tales of destiny? and if so how much is it?

[quote name='billyG']I have a question for you... Do you guys have a complete copy of Tales of destiny? and if so how much is it?[/QUOTE]
I can't speak for any of the Minneapolis-area stores, but I know for sure that Eau Claire doesn't.

I have one in my personal collection, though! :D

[quote name='dbiersdorf']I've never been to a Toyriffic, or even heard of it before, do they have any good deals on complete N64 games?[/quote]

Good deals, no. For example, I checked this weekend and Starcraft 64 is $49.99. They usually have complete for some of the more common items (Mario 64, Mariokart, Zelda, etc.) but they'll usually cost you an arm and a leg. I'd say usually the stuff is $10-15 more than what you can get it on eBay for and most of the stuff is cart-only, FYI.

But selection wise, it's a gamer's paradise. Official NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Dreamcast controllers, all mint and non-discolored, are hung up on hooks nicely. There are systems boxes all over the counters and the employees actually know video games. The Maplewood Toyriffic has everything from Panzer Dragoon Saga to Lunar SSSC/EB complete to Suikoden 2 mint and complete - I know it's mint because I checked it out last year. They still have the $149.99 price tag on Suikoden 2.

It's a fun place to shop and a good place to waste a Saturday afternoon if you are in the area. Try to shop for things that aren't in the price book (cords, peripherals, I got the SNES hudson multitap for $5 last spring).

Again, I'm not sure why no one has brought it to the attention of the owner that prices for classics (N64, SNES, Genesis) need to be brought down about $10-15 but I guess no one cares enough to do anything about it. It would make sense to do it because well they need the space, PS3 is on the horizon and once Xbox360 is no longer scarce and the game library expands, people are going to be trading in GCN/XBOX/PS2 games like crazy.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']
I have one in my personal collection, though! :D[/QUOTE]
It's nice to know that there is at least one copy of this f'n game in the world. Only damn Ps1 rpg I can't find..

bread's done
Back