MLB 14: The Show - PS4/PS3/Vita - New: Forward-Compatible Saves! Faster 9 Inning Games! Community Challenges!

So I'm guessing the day one digital releases are usually midnight releases? I never really paid too much attention since I don't really buy digital versions of retail games unless they're on sale or part of PS+. I just assumed they were always put up with the rest of the PSN store.
Not always, but quite a few are available at midnight if the publisher/developer wants them to be. Child of Light was a midnight launch on PSN.

Fun game. Doesn't seem like too much has changed since I last played (11 on PS3, 12 on Vita) but that's not a knock on the game at all. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm still terrible at batting. I tend to swing first and facepalm later, knowing better.

Load times seemed excessive on the PS4.  I believe it was copying a lot of data when first started though. 

Do people like the DYNAMIC camera?  I was confused at first.  I switched back to BROADCAST, but I was wondering if Dynamic was worth it to try again.

Is there not a way to change the fielding camera in RTTS? That view they use annoys the ever-loving fuck out of me and makes me not want to play.

It sucks bad
pot_kettle_black.jpg

I haven't had any issues with load times so far with the PS4 version. The thing I'm most disappointed by so far is that Road to the Show players still have the same exact facial hair options as on PS3 for the past several years, so none of the beards and all that they added for the real players is available for created players.

I find RTTS very boring. Seems like no improvements in that game mode over several years.

Pitching is fun, but I find that I can't field or get a hit to fall in RTTS to save my damn life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find RTTS very boring. Seems like no improvements in that game mode over several years.

Pitching is fun, but I find that I can't field or get a hit to fall in RTTS to save my damn life.
There are some very noticeable improvements to RTTS this year.

• No advancement goals. You're just called up when it makes sense.
  • No more investing XP into stats to try to level them up. Just spend XP on increasing each stat by one point.
  • The play evaluator seems to cover fielding plays, baserunning, and better judgment on your at-bats.
  • Catcher has supposedly been overhauled so that you're not spending most of your time calling the entire game.
Road to the Show is still the best mode in any sports game out there for me.

Yea my guy is a catcher and you get to call pitches with the pitcher and its pretty fun. I didnt get one hit in the 3 games u play before your drafted and I got drafted to the Phillies in round 1, pick number 7 lol. Im on the double a Phillies team and I still dont have a hit yet but i get strikeouts so i guess im kinda good for something haha.

it's not just this game that feels stale. i think as a hole all sports games at this point are stale seeing we have seen pretty everything possible in sports games most more so with these new gen of systems. 

Started from scratch and erased my 2B, started a SP instead, modeled after Josh Beckett.

My first scouting game I pitched well. Second game I got rocked. I ended up getting drafted by the Rays in the 2nd round.

In my Double-A debut, I pitched a CGSO with 15 K's. Damn.

Is it just me or is the graphics Suck On the ps4 ver

Last edited:
Is it just me or is the graphics Suck On the ps4 ver
my friend has it for ps4 and i played it and was just as i expected. It's pretty much like all sports games on next gen so far looks decent and in hd but gameplay feels the same. i think this coming year will be the true test for next gen games when the studios have a full year to work on a next gen version.

I started my franchise last night.  I lost in 19 innings in my first game.  I'm not a good hitter yet, what's the trick?  I'm using the Zone hitting (button plus LS). 

I also turned on the manually fielding and I misjudged two flyballs already....I was right there, but it went over my head and the guy lunged for it.  Cost me the game.  Oh well, it's a long season.

I started my franchise last night. I lost in 19 innings in my first game. I'm not a good hitter yet, what's the trick? I'm using the Zone hitting (button plus LS).

I also turned on the manually fielding and I misjudged two flyballs already....I was right there, but it went over my head and the guy lunged for it. Cost me the game. Oh well, it's a long season.
I just can't do the zone hitting, I just do analog.. but that may be cheating not using the zone part, then it's just a timing thing.

I'm loving the game so far. First game in the series I've played and first baseball game I've owned since one if the Nintendo Ken Griffey ones.

Just doing beginner mode currently to learn the ropes. Lost my first game in extra innings, one the second one pretty easily, and one a pitchers dual in the third with a two run homer in the 8th.

Struggling with hitting some and need to work on judging balls/strikes better. Pitching I'm getting down, still on auto fielding so I haven tried that yet.

Struggling with hitting some and need to work on judging balls/strikes better. Pitching I'm getting down, still on auto fielding so I haven tried that yet.
Yeah, coming from the older games to the Show is like jumping from Double-A to MLB with no seasoning. Hell, I've had issues with hitting since MLB 11. haha .. My judgment of balls and strikes is god awful, I look like Dan Uggla out there.

Try tinkering with the sliders. You can turn down pitch speed, which helps a lot when it comes to deciding to swing or not. You can also adjust the timing window of swings.

I started my franchise last night. I lost in 19 innings in my first game. I'm not a good hitter yet, what's the trick? I'm using the Zone hitting (button plus LS).

I also turned on the manually fielding and I misjudged two flyballs already....I was right there, but it went over my head and the guy lunged for it. Cost me the game. Oh well, it's a long season.
mlb the show has always had a steep learning curve on hitting seeing it's all about timming and waiting for right pitch. With that said i think that's what makes the game fun and challenging.

I'm leaving the sliders alone for now as I'm hitting enough to win low scoring games. :D

I'm still on beginner--pitching is 6/6 but hitting stuck on 4/6 for a few games. I did turn on some more control options after tinkering around in practice.

I'm using the full analog for pitching. I like it as it adds enough chances for screwing up, but I still do pretty well. Pulse isn't enough different from the basic mode IMO, and the meter mode I was sucking at the timing.

Hitting I'm going with Zone. It's helping a bit with balls and strikes due to just trying not to swing if I'm no pretty well centered. I found full analog too much with having to time both the stride and swing.

I also turned on the fielding controls to mostly manual--just with assist to start a few steps in the right direction.

In any case, I love how many options there are to play the game, even without getting into the slider adjustments yet. Graphics are amazing, though I can't compare to PS3 versions since it's the first I've played. The load times are pretty lousy is the only gripe I have so far.

Wow, I just found out that you can transfer saves forward to future generations. That is the biggest reason why I haven't played as many sports games in the past several years. Thank you San Diego! I'll start buying MLB the Show on an annual basis now.

it's not just this game that feels stale. i think as a hole all sports games at this point are stale seeing we have seen pretty everything possible in sports games most more so with these new gen of systems.
Lack of competition. It's not really a great situation that publishers can basically pencil in a set number of sales every single year just due to the "die hard fan" contingent. I'm all for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but there's something to be said for not resting on your laurels either.

The NHL series has taken a fairly substantial step backward without people really noticing. It took a lengthy "what we'd like to see in next year's game" article on Game Informer's website to really illustrate how lacking the game had become. Things that were great 4-5 years ago aren't quite as impressive these days. With no competition, it's pretty easy for sports game developers to become complacent.

Doh! Lost a no hitter with two outs in the 9th on a dribbler through the left side.

Oh well I had 26 hits and 9 runs that game so I'm getting the hang of hitting better. Beginner mode is at 6/6 on pitching and hitting now, bit it hadn't graduated me to rookie yet.

Man I've been playing alot of online matches and im 9-1 in my last 10 games so far and I won like 4 games to the mercy rule lol.

My username is Spokker if anyone wants to play on PS4. I'm still learning the ropes.

My username is Spokker if anyone wants to play on PS4. I'm still learning the ropes.
Sure, I'll add you. MattYoung730 is my PSN name. I haven't played an online versus game yet. I've kind of had a busy week so I haven't been able to put much time in with the game, period.

Anyone have any issues with manual fielding?  Sometimes my outfielders do not get under the ball correctly and it flies over my head.

Since there's no friend limit on PS4, I'll probably send friend requests to those of you not already on my list so that we can communicate more easily.

I've been watching this game streaming on Twitch and for some odd reason, I've been enjoying it. You see, I'm not really a baseball fan (I don't hate it but just don't follow the sport) but this RTTS mode seems really fun. I'll watch streamers play it for hours and be greatly entertained. I don't even play my PS3 but I'm considering buying it (don't have a PS4). Any idea if the PS3 version will go on sale any time soon?

I've been watching this game streaming on Twitch and for some odd reason, I've been enjoying it. You see, I'm not really a baseball fan (I don't hate it but just don't follow the sport) but this RTTS mode seems really fun. I'll watch streamers play it for hours and be greatly entertained. I don't even play my PS3 but I'm considering buying it (don't have a PS4). Any idea if the PS3 version will go on sale any time soon?
I could be wrong here, but likely not. The season is just hitting it's stride, so sports games likely won't see a drop until we get closer to the postseason.

I think you may get a sale price around the All-Star Game, otherwise your best bet is AWD or get it at Gamestop used with PowerUpPro + the 20% off birthday coupon.

I could be wrong here, but likely not. The season is just hitting it's stride, so sports games likely won't see a drop until we get closer to the postseason.

I think you may get a sale price around the All-Star Game, otherwise your best bet is AWD or get it at Gamestop used with PowerUpPro + the 20% off birthday coupon.
Hell, I may just have to pay full price for it then. I can't stop watching this game being streamed. Baseball is a little slow and boring for me to watch, especially with so many games in a season, but this Road to the Show mode seems super fun and streamlined for casual playing or otherwise.

Hell, I may just have to pay full price for it then. I can't stop watching this game being streamed. Baseball is a little slow and boring for me to watch, especially with so many games in a season, but this Road to the Show mode seems super fun and streamlined for casual playing or otherwise.
RTTS has always been addicting to me! And frustrating, LOL. I get sucked in and always get a huge sense in pride at making the show because of how much work has to go in!

People complaining about this game make me sad. It plays beautifully. Looks great. Offers playability for all skill sets. Did I mention it's beautiful? 59.99 well spent imo
I wish They had better music. But thats about it for complaints from me.

Yeah I'm loving the game. I love the variety game to game. Had to eek out a 2-1 win with only five hits this morning, just won a game 11-0 with 22 hits just now. :D

Still on beginner though it's been at 6/6 for hitting and pitching for a few games. It will bump me up to rookie on its own eventually right? If not I'll just leave it alone as I play out the 14 game season (11-0 currently with several close calls and a few blowouts).

Also, what's the point of the experience and levels? I'm at level 14 I think.

People complaining about this game make me sad. It plays beautifully. Looks great. Offers playability for all skill sets. Did I mention it's beautiful? 59.99 well spent imo
I wish They had better music. But thats about it for complaints from me.
Can you not have custom soundtracks on PS4? I don't own one, so I'm not sure.

On the PS3 versions of The Show, I always just put in a flash drive with songs on it and rip it to the system, and then select them in the in-game music menu. They play as if they were a part of the original soundtrack. I wish I could've done this with all the hundreds of hours I put into MVP 2005.

only thing i wish was still in the game was challenges you had to do in past to move up and if fail you could drop a level. Now it seems like it's random when you move up and down. im a pitcher in brewers franchise and my guy is 8-0 with 1.20 era and just moved up from double A to triple A.

bread's done
Back