MLB 14: The Show - PS4/PS3/Vita - New: Forward-Compatible Saves! Faster 9 Inning Games! Community Challenges!

Question about fielding (PS4 version). I've played the last 4-5 iterations of this game and have never had so much trouble with fielding animations screwing me over. Guys with so-so speed are safe on simple infield grounders because my SS or 2B decides to take 2-3 steps and pound his glove a couple times before throwing the ball (even if I've "pre-loaded" the throw). Yesterday there was a fly ball foul in right field foul territory. My RF ran over (not at full speed, mind you), caught it near the wall, then slowly collided with the wall and lazily pushed himself away before spinning fully around and throwing the ball in. Meanwhile the runner tagged and scored all the way from 2nd - he was around third before the throwing animation even started. I've tried increasing my throwing "power" to help give a sense of urgency, but all that's done is increase the number of throwing errors. Any suggestions out there?

Can you not have custom soundtracks on PS4? I don't own one, so I'm not sure.

On the PS3 versions of The Show, I always just put in a flash drive with songs on it and rip it to the system, and then select them in the in-game music menu. They play as if they were a part of the original soundtrack. I wish I could've done this with all the hundreds of hours I put into MVP 2005.
If you subscribe to music plus(9.99/mo rip off) supposedly you can stream music. What a rip off I know. I own the music already and I cant listen to it? Rip... off...

Hell, I may just have to pay full price for it then. I can't stop watching this game being streamed. Baseball is a little slow and boring for me to watch, especially with so many games in a season, but this Road to the Show mode seems super fun and streamlined for casual playing or otherwise.
Yeah, your best bets for getting the game soon'ish and saving money would be buying it used either through Amazon Warehouse Deals (though they don't come up often on there), GameStop with a 20% off birthday coupon + 10% Power Up Rewards discount, or gohastings.com when they do one of their used game sales (and it seems like they haven't had one in a while, so they should be due for one). If you work for it, you should be able to get the game for around $40.

Here's a link to it on gohastings.

http://www.gohastings.com/product/GAME/MLB-14-The-Show/sku/294256687.uts#.U3aN5_ldV8E

Question about fielding (PS4 version). I've played the last 4-5 iterations of this game and have never had so much trouble with fielding animations screwing me over. Guys with so-so speed are safe on simple infield grounders because my SS or 2B decides to take 2-3 steps and pound his glove a couple times before throwing the ball (even if I've "pre-loaded" the throw). Yesterday there was a fly ball foul in right field foul territory. My RF ran over (not at full speed, mind you), caught it near the wall, then slowly collided with the wall and lazily pushed himself away before spinning fully around and throwing the ball in. Meanwhile the runner tagged and scored all the way from 2nd - he was around third before the throwing animation even started. I've tried increasing my throwing "power" to help give a sense of urgency, but all that's done is increase the number of throwing errors. Any suggestions out there?
I've noticed this too. Lots of routine grounders where the runner is safe. The other issue is the flyballs. I'll move my guy to the "spot", but then he lunges for it. It's like they want you to fine tune it. I've blown like 3 games with misplayed balls. PS4 version also.

I think I've settled on Zone for hitting and Meter for pitching. I was just to inconsistent with analog pitching. Still not great all the time with Meter, but at least usually miss high or low and not hitting batters trying to pitch inside. :D

I also fiddled with the sliders some finally, basically bumped all my hitting stuff up one notch (foul tendency down one), pitching stuff up one, and pitch speed down one to get a bit more time to judge balls and strikes. Seems to be helping as I was struggling a bit in the playoffs with a lot of 1-0, 2-1 type games with only a couple hits on each side. With those sliders the last game was 4-2 with 12 hits for me and 7 for the CPU which seems more realistic--and definitely more fun in any case.

For those having to many fielding/throwing errors, there are sliders for those you can turn down if you want. There's also a fielding reaction one that you could maybe turn up and help some with those delayed reactions leading to infield hits. I've really only had that happen on slow rollers, or a ball I had to go a long way to the left to get from short which are often hits in real life.

Threw a two pitcher no hitter in the first game of the world series. Starter went 8, brought in closer for 9th as he was over 100 pitches and I was only up 1-0. Guess it was a pseudo perfect game as it was 27 up, 27 down, but had an error on a pop foul I misplayed. Should have had more runs myself but had a homer taken away by a fence climbing grab, and a diving catch on a liner in the gap that would have scored two more.

Finished up winning the world series with the Braves in my season. Still winning low scoring games--4-1, 3-0 etc. even with the slider bumps and it still on beginner.

Game is very good, but I'll take a break and play some other stuff like Transistor before checking out RTTS mode. I get bored with sports games pretty quickly unfortunately. Much like online shooters I feel like I'm just doing the same thing over and over (because you are at the end of the day) and end up getting bored and moving back to story driven games.

How many games did you actually play during the season?
The shortest option. :D Played 14 regular season games, then 11 in the post season (3-1 first, series, 4-0 next two, but simmed game 3 of the World Series to speed things up). Probably played 10ish exhibition games before to get the ropes, as well as some time in practice mode.

I've never gotten how the real sports fans play multiple seasons and all that jazz, or the shooter fans that put thousands of hours into every CoD or Halo, or MMORPGs players etc. I get sick of games very fast and mainly like shorter, story driven games. To each their own of course, is what it boils down to.

I'm keeping The Show for now as I do want to check out RTTS mode. But I doubt I'll do another season or a Franchise mode or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
My RTTS character's career has been interesting. Tran Nguyen. Drafted to the Yankees. Moved my way up to the MLB. A broken elbow ended my season. Yankees got rid of me in the off season. Royals picked me up. Did okay during spring training but they put me on the minor league team. Now it's my comeback and I should be close to getting back in the majors. Dynamic difficulty bumped me up to veteran so I hope I can still hang with my team.

Some funny clips.

My lazy catcher didn't want to make the tag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK0lnMhmyMs

But look how hard the other team's catcher works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_58jLs0Ypws

Hit a homer and the baserunner in front of me got confused about where to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gU5tucaP2I

This guy got hit in the face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfjCTLiJqWA

Good teamwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhnW5TdY3Vo

bread's done
Back