MLB 2010 Discussion Thread

I still say it's amusing to see Mets fans demand Minaya's head on a stake when he was such a key figure in turning the team around a few years ago.

But anyway, I was just watching Baseball Tonight and they recapped the Seattle openner, were Duchersererererere just completly dominated for the A's. And it got me thinking.... weren't the Yankees trying to get him? i've been a big fan of Duch for a few years now. The guy consistantly has a sub-3 ERA, but it seems like he's overlooked.

[quote name='Chronis']I still say it's amusing to see Mets fans demand Minaya's head on a stake when he was such a key figure in turning the team around a few years ago.

But anyway, I was just watching Baseball Tonight and they recapped the Seattle openner, were Duchersererererere just completly dominated for the A's. And it got me thinking.... weren't the Yankees trying to get him? i've been a big fan of Duch for a few years now. The guy consistantly has a sub-3 ERA, but it seems like he's overlooked.[/QUOTE]

I dont recall hearing about the Yankees going after Duch. Couldn't picture Beane giving up on a above average cost controlled pitcher. He is overlooked because he was a setup guy pre 2008, injured part of 08 and all of 09 and is 32 years old.

A's have been the big surprise of the first week especially with the horrible starts for the Angels and Mariners.

Lol at Bradley continuing his antics in Seattle. Good luck with that fuck chop M's! It must be the Cubs fans fault. We were so cruel to him his sucking has carried over into the 2010 season.

[quote name='Chronis']I still say it's amusing to see Mets fans demand Minaya's head on a stake when he was such a key figure in turning the team around a few years ago.
[/QUOTE]

he turned them around for 1 year. 2006 was our best season and then after that we just got lucky with the Core hitting their stride. Minaya not trading Milledge and Pelf for Haren was beyond me. plus trading Heath Bell for peanuts was stupid, Trading away Lindstrom and Jacobs for peanuts is another reason, JJ Putz deal was a terrible deal...all we are left with is an injured Sean Green who will get sent down since Raul Valdes is going to take his spot. Dont forget giving Ollie Perez and Luis Castillo one of the worst contracts ever! They are now untradable and unreleasable, not bringing in pitching to give Santana some help behind him.

It really piles up. The only moves i give him credit for is Santana,Beltran, and Pedro. other than that....he slowly traded away key players or didnt make trades for key players. it's just frustrating.

Atleast his prospects are looking great. Martinez and Davis will be stars i hope..and Jenry Meija has terrific stuff. So yeah all is not bad...but its just frustrating that the moves we feel are needed to be made aren't.

[quote name='speedracer']3 of those wins were against the Astros. Those don't count.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Who was giving the Rockies the World Series trophy? The NL West is probably the 4th/5th best division in baseball. Only the NL Central is worst.

I'm not sold on Duscherer; he was successful due to an MLB-leading .240 BABIP in 2008, and his ERA (2.54) far exceeded his FIP (3.69). Granted, he doesn't walk many hitters, and Oakland's defense is pretty good, so there's a decent shot he can continue to slightly outperform his career FIP (3.81), but I wouldn't count on sub-3 ERA totals. Very solid #3 or #4 starter, though.

Previous concerns aside, can he stay healthy?

Dodgers looking good right now. Manny and Blake Dewitt each hit their first homers of the season in the 4th. LA is up 4-1 over Arizona.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Giants....6-1....shhhhhh.

But wait....aren't we giving the Rockies the World Series trophy though?[/QUOTE]
Lets see where the Giants are at the All-Star break, lots of teams start off really well and end up sucking it up later in the season.

Ricky Romero with 12 K's and a no hitter through 7 so far tonight against the White Sox.

4-2 Blue Jays now. Romero bounced a pitch in the dirt that AJ faked hitting him to get on first and then the next hitter hit a homerun. I would be beyond pissed if I were Romero/ Blue Jays and the fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mets losing 6-0 in Colorado. Were they not prepared tonight? Does Omar fly out to fire Jerry tonight? When do the coupons go enough is enough?

It's one thing to be bad, it's another thing for the Mets to be bad and it's another thing to be Mets bad in NY with the Yankees.

8-0 Rockies now. Maine has given up 6 runs this inning all with 2 outs.

Randy Choate has got to be the worst relief pitcher in baseball. How the Rays continue to throw him out there is beyond me. The guy is instant offense for the other team. 27.00 era so far this season.

This is going to make integral happy. Mets had first and second with no outs and Franceour grounded into a double play and Tatis stranded a runner at 3rd with 2 outs.

[quote name='integralsmatic']NO MORE JOHN MAINE PLEASE! let the hurt stop![/QUOTE]

That inning was awful to watch. 6 runs with 2 outs. No offense, but Wfan is going to be great to listen to tonight and tomorrow. Omar and Jerry are going to get roasted. It's sad to think of how far the Mets have fallen in the past couple of years. From a contender to a joke. Yadier Molina's homerun just killed them.

[quote name='wildcpac']This is going to make integral happy. Mets had first and second with no outs and Franceour grounded into a double play and Tatis stranded a runner at 3rd with 2 outs.[/QUOTE]

:bouncy:

Im estatic to know that the Mets are a joke. Frenchy has to stop trying to kill the baseball. His eyes grow huge and he whiffs or hits a weak grounder. Tatis will soon lead the team with runners stranded. Thats his specialty.

ill call it right here. Greg Smith CG Shutout and the Jerry says his team was mentally retarded.

Mets are going to have to have a Yankees 2008 off season after this year. (CC, AJ, Teixiera and Swisher)

Mets are going to have to sign Pujols or Pena if Pujols isn't available for first base.
Jose Lopez for second base.
Carl Crawford for the outfield.
Cliff Lee as a starter.

Castillo out at second trying to turn a single into a double and he was Safe! Nothing can go right for the Mets. Lets see if Jerry gets thrown out. Nope. Wright hits a homerun. There goes the shutout. Too bad nobody was on base.

[quote name='wildcpac']Mets are going to have to have a Yankees 2008 off season after this year. (CC, AJ, Teixiera and Swisher)

Mets are going to have to sign Pujols or Pena if Pujols isn't available for first base.
Cliff Lee as a starter.

Castillo out at second trying to turn a single into a double and he was Safe! Nothing can go right for the Mets. Lets see if Jerry gets thrown out. Nope.[/QUOTE]

Keep dreamin'

[quote name='wildcpac']That inning was awful to watch. 6 runs with 2 outs. No offense, but Wfan is going to be great to listen to tonight and tomorrow. Omar and Jerry are going to get roasted. It's sad to think of how far the Mets have fallen in the past couple of years. From a contender to a joke. Yadier Molina's homerun just killed them.[/QUOTE]

No Offense taken. Its going to be funny to hear Joe and Even rip the Mets a huge one tomorrow and to hear the fans complain. Also Francesca will douche on them too. Its going to be nice. The Mets deserve every single insult that is put their way. They are a disgrace right now to NY Baseball. I thought the 93 team was....but this decade's team just seems more disgraceful. They just cock tease you all the time...its like a girl who looks great from a far distance but then when you move closer to her she is fucking fugly. Thats what i feel about them. On paper, they are good..but in reality they all stink...from Reyes to Catalanotto....they just can't do a thing. Even the KC Royals are playing better baseball than them. What a joke.

I'm on the brink of selling my tickets. There is no way they are going to take 1 game away from the braves. Every game so far is an utter disaster and no point on wasting my money for a terrible product.

Edit: Castillo was safe but if was STUPID OF HIM TO DO THAT! fuckING RETARD!

Edit 2:
the only reason not selling them...never been to Citi yet. So i may just keep them for the stadium and Jackie Robinson Rotunda.

[quote name='wildcpac']Mets are going to have to have a Yankees 2008 off season after this year. (CC, AJ, Teixiera and Swisher)

Cliff Lee as a starter.

Castillo out at second trying to turn a single into a double and he was Safe! Nothing can go right for the Mets. Lets see if Jerry gets thrown out. Nope. Wright hits a homerun. There goes the shutout. Too bad nobody was on base.[/QUOTE]

we will be lucky if the Coupons even try for Jose Lopez. If this happend move for move, i would take everything back call Omar GOD and lick his toes for a week. Good thing that this will never happen lol.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Keep dreamin'[/QUOTE]

I am a Yankees fan. Mets are already drawing flies to Citifield the first week of the season. It's going to be even worse if they come back from a horrible road trip and it's a tough one on paper. If they dont improve the team after this year with the 5 star talent free agents (Pujols, Lee) the Mets are going to lose whatever fan base of theirs is left.

I bet the Coupons just want to take the next 5 years off and not even try because the Phillies are too great. Just wait until after Howard, Utley, Rollins and Doc fall off the map. Mets are in rebuilding mode.

[quote name='wildcpac']I am a Yankees fan. Mets are already drawing flies to Citifield the first week of the season. It's going to be even worse if they come back from a horrible road trip and it's a tough one on paper. If they dont improve the team after this year with the 5 star talent free agents (Pujols, Lee) the Mets are going to lose whatever fan base of theirs is left.

I bet the Coupons just want to take the next 5 years off and not even try because the Phillies are too great. Just wait until after Howard, Utley, Rollins and Doc fall off the map. Mets are in rebuilding mode.[/QUOTE]

which won't be for a long time and do not count out the Braves and Marlins either. In the next 5 years, those two teams may nip at the heels of the phillies..heck even the natties have potential.

[quote name='integralsmatic']we will be lucky if the Coupons even try for Jose Lopez. If this happend move for move, i would take everything back call Omar GOD and lick his toes for a week. Good thing that this will never happen lol.[/QUOTE]

Coupons are too afraid to spend 400 million in one off season. Even though it would change the direction of the team 180 degrees. Lee, Pujols, Jose and CC would add 20 plus wins, millions of fans and a couple of playoff series wins every year.

[quote name='wildcpac']Coupons are too afraid to spend 400 million in one off season. Even though it would change the direction of the team 180 degrees. Lee, Pujols, Jose and CC would add 20 plus wins, millions of fans and a couple of playoff series wins every year.[/QUOTE]

and that I will gladly take.

At least the bullpen is being dominant. Raul Valdes and Jhenry Mejia have looked great so far. Pretty sick curve from Mejia too. Its the only thing i can take away from another terrible Maine Event.

edit: Wow Tatis and Frenchy back to back hits?? Please Rally..DO SOMETHING!!!!

I thought Barajas had that. He does hit the ball hard. 8-2 now.
Pagan just missed one to the same exact location. If this were a day game it would be different.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Thats one signing i did like. I hope they keep Barajas for a couple years. at least he is a power threat and better all round that Brian Schnieder.[/QUOTE]

VMart is a free agent but I am sure he wants to stay in Boston. Guy is Piazza bad behind the plate though.

Just saw the Mets schedule for the rest of the month. 2 more with the Rockies, 3 with the Cards, 4 with the Cubs, 3 with Atlanta, 3 with the Dodgers and then 3 games in Philly. Mets would be lucky to start the season 10-15. Even that might be pushing it. 8-17 seems more about right.

Mets bullpen walks in a run trailing 8-2 to make it 9-2. Rockies have the bases loaded and no outs.
Reyes boots a sure gidp to only get one out, 10-2 now. Can Jerry just forfeit the rest of the game?

[quote name='Chitown021']Lol at Bradley continuing his antics in Seattle. Good luck with that fuck chop M's! It must be the Cubs fans fault. We were so cruel to him his sucking has carried over into the 2010 season.[/QUOTE]
Bradley was the life of Seattle's party after hitting a three-run homer in the eighth inning to power his new team to a much-needed 3-0 victory over the Oakland Athletics.

"A great night for Milton," Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu said. "That couldn't have been better timed."
haters-gonna-hate-eagle.jpg

/hot
//dodgers fan
///i hate him too

[quote name='DomLando']Well Omar rolling the dice by keeping this pitching staff is coming back to bite him. What a shock!!![/QUOTE]

Coupons wouldn't give him money this past off season to spend. Cant blame Omar when Fred and Jeff are crying poor.

[quote name='wildcpac']Coupons wouldn't give him money this past off season to spend. Cant blame Omar when Fred and Jeff are crying poor.[/QUOTE]

Fred and Jeff didn't give Perez that huge contract and give Bay all that money.

Don't get me wrong I like Bay but pitching is obviously a bigger problem on this team.

[quote name='DomLando']Fred and Jeff didn't give Perez that huge contract and give Bay all that money.

Don't get me wrong I like Bay but pitching is obviously a bigger problem on this team.[/QUOTE]

Perez was given a 3 year 36 million contract off of a very good year in 2007 and a slightly above average year in 2008. Mets figured his numbers would improve going into an even more pitchers park in Citifield.

Bay was given money because the Mets had to do something with their offense and save face with the fanbase. It was putting a bandaid on a severed leg. Lackey wanted no part of the Mets and quickly signed with the Red Sox. Omar wanted to go after Joel Piniero but the coupons wouldn't open up their checkbook.

either way, the mets didnt get it done in the off season to improve themselves. This is what it feels like. I shouldnt be bitching because we are only 7 games but dam...it feel like its 400 lol.

http://www.metsblog.com/2010/04/14/its-early-but-its-too-late/

at the end of it all...it doesn't matter who gets fired...they will inherit this pile of lard and lose just as much.There are no quick fixes. We don't have another option at starter if we wanted to move Maine and Perez out of the rotation..the only guys we have are Pat Misch(who has been pitching really well for Buffalo) and Dillon Gee. The team is locked up with bad Free Agents that it can't do a quick fix. it might as well be another 5 years before we see a winning season because this is where ownership and the front office put us. The whole organization should take the blame...and i hope the message is put out there by fans not showing up to the park. Y'know i won't be surprised if the Astros come out of May with more wins than the mets..and THEY ARE WINLESS!

[quote name='speedracer']...

haters-gonna-hate-eagle.jpg

/hot
//dodgers fan
///i hate him too[/QUOTE]

LOL, yeah I heard about his 3 run homer after I made my post. One good game out of 162 does not a season make... We'll see how long he goes before he hits meltdown mode.

Despite a savage 2 innings for starter Kyle Kendrick (giving up 6 runs), the Phillies batted back to a 14-7 win over the Natinals, advancing to 7-1. I can't wait to see them take on real teams.

[quote name='wildcpac']Perez was given a 3 year 36 million contract off of a very good year in 2007 and a slightly above average year in 2008. Mets figured his numbers would improve going into an even more pitchers park in Citifield.

Bay was given money because the Mets had to do something with their offense and save face with the fanbase. It was putting a bandaid on a severed leg. Lackey wanted no part of the Mets and quickly signed with the Red Sox. Omar wanted to go after Joel Piniero but the coupons wouldn't open up their checkbook.[/QUOTE]

And Perez had a history before that of exactly what he is doing it now. So lets base his salary on one good year and one decent year?

I really don't think the Mets had to go out and spend that much on one player. They had way to many holes to spend that kind of money. Also the Mets did offer a contract to Piniero but it was a little less then the contract he ended up excepting.

[quote name='DomLando']Mets tie it in the top of the ninth. So which pitcher will give up the game winner tonight?[/QUOTE]

please let it be the opposing one tonight.I want to know what its like to actually win coming from behind. This is the first time in MANY WEEKS we got big hits late...and Igarashi looks stupid nasty out there. I wish we had this bullpen in 07.

edit: CMON ROD....just one OF sac fly!

edit 2: oh great. cora is up...dont have much confidence in this.

edit 3:And my intuition was right. RISP takes a dip along with Cora's abysmal batting average. Colorado played that inning perfectly getting out of that jam

Edit 4: Looks like it was Jhenry Meijia in this game.

[quote name='DomLando']And the Mets lose again[/QUOTE]

no surprise there.

The ultimate kick in the balls. Nelson Figueroa got the W today for the Phillies. Great roster cut Omar!

Man, that Dodgers game was 5 hours long. It ended after midnight! LA used 8 pitchers; Arizona used 7. After a 9th inning rally, LA's bullpen, of course, blew it again in the 12th inning. Hmph.

[quote name='Matt Young']Man, that Dodgers game was 5 hours long. It ended after midnight! LA used 8 pitchers; Arizona used 7. After a 9th inning rally, LA's bullpen, of course, blew it again in the 12th inning. Hmph.[/QUOTE]
I knew it was over when the Dodgers put in Russ Ortiz. :lol:

I guess the Mets didn't want a pitcher who just shut down the Yankees at YS.

Joel Pineiro reflects on New York Mets' lackluster and 'weird' offseason pursuit
"Alex was telling me (it was going to happen)," Pineiro said Wednesday. "I was like, 'all right, I'm just waiting for that good thing to happen, and I'm ready to go.'

"But it never came."

Pineiro indicated that the Mets stayed in contact with his agent throughout the winter, but didn't make any real move to sign him until the Angels got involved in mid-January. Even then all indications are the Mets knew their two-year, $15 million offer wasn't going to be enough, and at that point, it may well have been for the sake of appearance.

"Is it that the Mets wouldn't go the extra mile?" I asked Pineiro.

"Exactly," he said. "It was a business decision, I guess. They had their guys, already."

They had their guys, all right. The Mets put the word out that they weren't going to overpay for pitchers that were no better than John Maine, Mike Pelfrey and Oliver Perez. How's that working out so far?

Just shows another reason why Omar and a lot of the front office should be gone. And like I said before, the Mets had no reason to go out and spend big money on Bay when they had so many holes to fill. They could have signed a few mid level guys to fill in other holes instead of giving one big contract to one guy.

That is weird. From what I have heard, the Mets offered Pineiro more money than the Angels, but he said no thanks and signed for less to avoid them.

lol we are a cancer. Even Piniero doesn't want to pitch for us.

well we have Jorge De La Rosa on the ropes...must be an off day for him.

wildcpac-
Where did you get that story? Can you link it for me?

bread's done
Back