MLB 2010 Discussion Thread

[quote name='Drclaw411']Looks like it'll be another long year for the Cubs. Facts learned from opening day:

-Zambrano is bad
-Soto wasn't bad because he was fat, he's bad because he tries to hit a home run every time
-Smadzija is going to be the highest paid minor leaguer for quite some time
-An offense featuring Mike Fontenot cannot make a comeback. Plain and simple.
-Theriot may be the worst .300 hitter of all time
-This year, like last year, the ground ball out will be an enormous problem[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you speak the truth. While I was at work I checked the score and saw we were up 3-0 in the first and thought "wow, they've spotted "Z" a few runs to work with not bad". I check the score about 15 minutes later and it's frickin' 8-3 Braves WTF!

Looks like another long season chock full of fail!

Nay, unless it's a very soft cap. Salary cap completely ruined my interest in the NFL, because the good teams can never afford to keep all of their good players. As long as the team is willing to spend the money, they should be able to keep everyone they want to...not be restricted by the cap.

And even though I am tired of repeating the Yankee company line, it really is the truth: they play by the rules. Teams seriously need to stop crying about them, especially considering their franchise makes the sport a shit load of money.

[quote name='Matt Young']For those who don't know, DirecTV is offering a free trial of MLB Extra Innings from today-next weekend.[/QUOTE]

FYI that should be for ANY provider that offers MLB Extra Innings. That's how it's done on any of the pay season sports packages (even NFL Sunday Ticket is free for week 1.)

I feel bad for Zack Greinke. That dude has some awesome stuff but he's doomed to another season full of either one run losses or no decisions because the Royals hitters and bullpen sucks!

[quote name='Chitown021']I feel bad for Zack Greinke. That dude has some awesome stuff but he's doomed to another season full of either one run losses or no decisions because the Royals hitters and bullpen sucks![/QUOTE]

they said this about lincecum a few years ago. giants seems to be turning it around. i vote nay for salary cap, as every team is capable of bringing in players, it''s just that most ownerships(fla,kc,pitt etc) dont care. it has nothing to do with ny having the most money(they end up paying it back to other teams anyways). it's the ownership.

as a cubs fan, we're stuck with soriano for 4+ more years, we had open cap space and we spent it on a declining player. we got lucky with the silva for bradley trade, but no cap allows teams to stay together. the red sox are going to be good for a long time, after being terrible for 20+ years, because they can keep pedroia, their young rotation, and still bring players up.

if the nfl was like this, the giants and jets wouldnt be winning super bowls every year, it would be dallas and(who isn't in as big of a market as most nfl teams, they just have Jerry) and the Redskins.

plus the mlb is the only major sport that doesn't have college sports as their minor league system. which is a benefit considering #1 nfl picks are making more then 10 year vets.

[quote name='lt_homer']they said this about lincecum a few years ago. giants seems to be turning it around. i vote nay for salary cap, as every team is capable of bringing in players,

if the nfl was like this, the giants and jets wouldnt be winning super bowls every year, it would be dallas and(who isn't in as big of a market as most nfl teams, they just have Jerry) and the Redskins.
.[/QUOTE]

i dont think there should be a ceiling but probably a cap floor. Teams have to spend at least this much.

Dallas not being in a huge market?????? Don't the cowboys bring in a ton of revenue every year from their stadium and ticket sales? They always been a large market team. even if it was uncapped in football.. you can't take a team full of expensive pro bowlers and expect to win a chip. Its why the draft is so important. You win by the draft. and signing key players to fill positions. its why the Jets were successful last year. They did just that.

:Sigh: John Maine look like he has no command or velocity on his pitches tonight.....another terrible 5 inning outing by him. Nolasco pitching like a Santana is not helping either.

WoW JENRY MEIJIA? Still think he should be a SP but lets see what this kid has!

edit: he is not settled. looks like the Marlins will about to blow this out of the water

Mutha fucker! Nice job Grablow serving up a batting practice hanger to Chipper Jones to give the Braves a 3-2 win. Way to waste an excellent start by Dempster and another solid inning from Marshall.

[quote name='Chitown021']Mutha fucker! Nice job Grablow serving up a batting practice hanger to Chipper Jones to give the Braves a 3-2 win. Way to waste an excellent start by Dempster and another solid inning from Marshall.[/QUOTE]

know how you feel......tatis thought he was jose reyes....trying to steal home with wright at the plate.

C'mon Mets RALLY!!!

edit: Marlins Bullpen......WOW! Ill take the game tying run on a Balk!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here go the Royals working their magic. They were one pitch away from winning and bam! the Tigers get a foul pole homer to tie the game...

fuck you takahashi! WTF!!!!!! Why were you tossing them over the plate???

we should have won this game.

but cant really blame him. the mets fail with bases loaded again. Classic Mets...get my hope ups and at the end kicked in the face.

The Dodgers lost a really good 10 inning game to the Pirates and their voodoo magic. The White Sox looked absolutely terrible, but somehow mustered up 3 runs due to the incompetence of Fausto Carmona. Indians won 5-3.

[quote name='integralsmatic']fuck you takahashi! WTF!!!!!! Why were you tossing them over the plate???

we should have won this game.

but cant really blame him. the mets fail with bases loaded again. Classic Mets...get my hope ups and at the end kicked in the face.[/QUOTE]

Don't even get mad. This is going to happen all year. You and I both know this.

Hollywood Hamels won his first outting of 2010 against the Nats 8-4, thanks to some serious bat support, including a beautiful homer by 2009 NLCS MVP Ryan Howard.

[quote name='DomLando']Don't even get mad. This is going to happen all year. You and I both know this.[/QUOTE]

yeah true...pretty typical loss with typical Mets mistakes. atleast Wright and Bay are making impacts. The two of them were threats all night long..I just hate the fact that Jacobs is clean up. All he did was pop out today.

this gave me a laugh
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVqT2dMqlPY[/media]

[quote name='Dahk']Hell of a game last night. Yanks bullpen is looking to be a glaring weakness. That Robertson kid does look solid though. He was a K machine last year. He just needs to harness those walks a bit.

I'm a lifelong Sox fan from Massachusetts, but I'm not sold on them yet.[/QUOTE]

Yankees bullpen looks light years ahead of the Sox bullpen. Sunday was pretty much opening day jitters for both teams. Okajima hasn't looked solid. Papelbon is issuing a ton of walks and got beat pretty bad by Granderson. Ramon Ramirez is hittable and Bard is hit or miss. I am still scratching my head as to how Atchison is being thrown into the wolves den the first week. I guess Tito wants to find out immediately what he is made out of. SSS for everything, I know.

Angels lost. Couldn't stop stranding runners and couldn't keep anything inside the park. Twins had four runs on five hits at one point.

Kind of hard to call out a team's "weakness" 3 games in the season, especially when it doesn't look to be much of one. After Sunday's night game, the Yankee bullpen shut the Sox down completely in the next two games. And at the end of the day, the Yankees have something that no other team does: Mo.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Kind of hard to call out a team's "weakness" 3 games in the season, especially when it doesn't look to be much of one. After Sunday's night game, the Yankee bullpen shut the Sox down completely in the next two games. And at the end of the day, the Yankees have something that no other team does: Mo.[/QUOTE]

I can see weaknesses pretty early. In watching the Cubs, I see a few:

-Bullpen is garbage
-Ground ball will be an enourmous problem
-Mike Fontenot is the starting second baseman

[quote name='Drclaw411']I can see weaknesses pretty early. In watching the Cubs, I see a few:

-Bullpen is garbage
-Ground ball will be an enourmous problem
-Mike Fontenot is the starting second baseman[/QUOTE]

i feel you on that....but arent the cubs going through ownership issues still? is that the reason why they havent made moves latley? at least Ryan Dempster is back and Randy Wells has potential to become a star pitcher.

[quote name='integralsmatic']i feel you on that....but arent the cubs going through ownership issues still? is that the reason why they havent made moves latley? at least Ryan Dempster is back and Randy Wells has potential to become a star pitcher.[/QUOTE]

The Cubs were just sold to new owners. They're actually strapped because of all of the cash they've got tied up in long term deals with their veterans. Soriano, Zambrano, Bradley/Silva, etc...

True. The bright spot in last night's game was that Dempster looked like he was back and Sean Marshall looked stellar again pitching the 7th. Randy Wells was a huge surprise last year. I don't have the stats in front of me but if I'm not mistaken he lead the team in ERA as a rookie last season.

I was really hoping Jeff Samardzija would step up this year but so far it looks like he's taking one huge leap backwards.

Anyone else see umpire Joe West's comments about the pace of the Red Sox-Yankees games? He called it a disgrace to baseball.

I could understand if one team was upset or if one team was gaining an advantage, but this is how both teams want to approach the game. What the fuck does anyone else have to do with it? Both teams want it this way, both fanbases want it this way, even NESN and the YES network, both owned by their respective teams, want it this way. Everyone else can go to hell.

[quote name='dafoomie']Anyone else see umpire Joe West's comments about the pace of the Red Sox-Yankees games? He called it a disgrace to baseball.

I could understand if one team was upset or if one team was gaining an advantage, but this is how both teams want to approach the game. What the fuck does anyone else have to do with it? Both teams want it this way, both fanbases want it this way, even NESN and the YES network want it this way. Everyone else can go to hell.[/QUOTE]

Well the 5 hour traditional Yankee/Red Sox game does take it's toll on fans of both teams. Cant really blame the offense of both teams for slowing the game down and being patient at the plate. 7 World Series between the two in the last 15 years. Fans of every team in baseball want to see the hitters work the count, tire out the pitcher, etc.

talk about patience at the plate. The Mets game was extended due to the Marlins sorry ass bullpen. for the Marlins sake, they better hope this was just a bad game for Chris Coughlin...because his fielding is ATROCIOUS! infact the whole Marlins defense is atrocious.

Vernon Wells with 4 HR's in the first 3 games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To think nobody wanted him this off season when teams were trying to package him with Halladay. Rumors were that the package for the 2 was alot less than the package for just Doc. Since that huge contract would have come off the books for the Jays.

[quote name='dafoomie']Anyone else see umpire Joe West's comments about the pace of the Red Sox-Yankees games? He called it a disgrace to baseball.

I could understand if one team was upset or if one team was gaining an advantage, but this is how both teams want to approach the game. What the fuck does anyone else have to do with it? Both teams want it this way, both fanbases want it this way, even NESN and the YES network, both owned by their respective teams, want it this way. Everyone else can go to hell.[/QUOTE]

I heard Bob and Len talking about it tonight during the Cubs broadcast. Was Joe West umpiring in that series?

The White Sox just lost an epic 11 inning game to Cleveland. The game was really good despite the fact that the home plate umpire, Bruce Dreckman, called the worst game I have ever seen- for both sides.

[quote name='Matt Young']The White Sox just lost an epic 11 inning game to Cleveland. The game was really good despite the fact that the home plate umpire, Bruce Dreckman, called the worst game I have ever seen- for both sides.[/QUOTE]

Umps have been a joke for the last 5 years. The calls and games are just getting worse and worse.

[quote name='integralsmatic']YAY! 1st opening series in 5 years. Great start 2010 Mets. Drop the series to the natties and then we are talking.[/QUOTE]

At least Reyes will be back Saturday. How long until he goes on the DL again? I give it 2 weeks.

[quote name='DomLando']At least Reyes will be back Saturday. How long until he goes on the DL again? I give it 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

max 2 weeks, minimum Saturday
[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Pulls his hammy warming up before the game. Out for the season .[/QUOTE]

Fixed!

Can a Tigers fan tell me what happened to Miggy? He has doubled in size since coming up in 2003. Looks like he spent the whole off season eating McDonalds.

I could understand if one team was upset or if one team was gaining an advantage, but this is how both teams want to approach the game. What the fuck does anyone else have to do with it? Both teams want it this way, both fanbases want it this way, even NESN and the YES network, both owned by their respective teams, want it this way. Everyone else can go to hell.[/QUOTE]

Finally something fans of both teams can agree on. I could MAYBE see an argument for excessive mound visits (which Girardi can have a tendency to do). But other than that, what is there to complain about? Everybody knows baseball is a lengthy sport. But if MLB is really that worried about people with a 2 hour attention span, they're catering to the wrong market. If that's the issue, might as well just make the game 6 innings like Little League. And if Joe West doesn't like 4 hour games, don't let him umpire any more Yanks or Sox games. I'm sure there are plenty of other umps who will be happy to work in October.

Although I've been a White Sox fan for a long time, I'm debating whether I continue to stick with them or become an Orioles fan (since they are now my home team). Regardless, I'll be going for both teams until they play one another (when I'll have to decide who to go for).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Although I've been a White Sox fan for a long time, I'm debating whether I continue to stick with them or become an Orioles fan (since they are now my home team). Regardless, I'll be going for both teams until they play one another (when I'll have to decide who to go for).[/QUOTE]

I'm from Chicago also. I'm a Cub fan, but one thing I know about is that Chicago fans dont bail on their teams because they move, especially for a team as worthless as Baltimore.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Although I've been a White Sox fan for a long time, I'm debating whether I continue to stick with them or become an Orioles fan (since they are now my home team). Regardless, I'll be going for both teams until they play one another (when I'll have to decide who to go for).[/QUOTE]

no stick with Sox. It would not make any sense to jump to a worse team.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I'm from Chicago also. I'm a Cub fan, but one thing I know about is that Chicago fans dont bail on their teams because they move, especially for a team as worthless as Baltimore.[/QUOTE]

2nd'd

as shitty as the Metropolitans are....ill never jump ship from this team no matter what.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I'm from Chicago also. I'm a Cub fan, but one thing I know about is that Chicago fans dont bail on their teams because they move, especially for a team as worthless as Baltimore.[/QUOTE]I stuck with the Bulls and Blackhawks (I'm especially still a big Bulls fan, will never change no matter where I move). For football, the Ravens have become my favorite team (but Bears are my favorite NFC team). Eh, I'm use to losing seasons for my sports teams, which is why I don't mind cheering for the Orioles. Shockingly, I never lived in Chicago, but was always close to their teams (I came from Indiana, but I hate all Indiana professional sports teams with a passion).

I'm no Cubs fan though, despite liking all other Chicago teams. :p

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I stuck with the Bulls and Blackhawks (I'm especially still a big Bulls fan, will never change no matter where I move). For football, the Ravens have become my favorite team (but Bears are my favorite NFC team). Eh, I'm use to losing seasons for my sports teams, which is why I don't mind cheering for the Orioles. Shockingly, I never lived in Chicago, but was always close to their teams (I came from Indiana, but I hate all Indiana professional sports teams with a passion).

I'm no Cubs fan though, despite liking all other Chicago teams. :p[/QUOTE]

Do not root for a team that has Mike Gonzalez as the closer. He has 2 blown saves and almost a 3rd in the first 4 games. Plus do not root for a team that plays in the same division as the Sox, Yankees and Rays.

[quote name='wildcpac']Do not root for a team that has Mike Gonzalez as the closer. He has 2 blown saves and almost a 3rd in the first 4 games. Plus do not root for a team that plays in the same division as the Sox, Yankees and Rays.[/QUOTE]Oh I absolutely despise the Yankess, Red Sox, and Rays. :p

[quote name='Drclaw411']I'm from Chicago also. I'm a Cub fan, but one thing I know about is that Chicago fans dont bail on their teams because they move, especially for a team as worthless as Baltimore.[/QUOTE]

Damn right. I am from Chicago but now live in Kansas City. I'm a life long Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks, and Notre Dame fan. I've also sort of adopted Kansas State since my wife went there. Funny thing is I have never liked the Bulls. Growing up I was a huge Supersonics fan.

Wow, not a bad first outing for Silva! Granted it's against the Reds but six strong inning of one run baseball.

[quote name='Chitown021']I heard Bob and Len talking about it tonight during the Cubs broadcast. Was Joe West umpiring in that series?[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure he did. Umpires don't like it because their job performance is evaluated partly based on how short their games are. But lots of other crews work Red Sox-Yankees games.

Anyway, somebody reported that MLB told West to keep his mouth shut.

The Dodgers just wrapped up a 7-3 victory over Florida. It was 7-1, but the marlins scored 2 in the 9th and threatened with runners on 2nd and 3rd before Broxton shut the door.

The White Sox/Twins game is much more interesting. It's tied at 3-3 now in the 8th. The White Sox would likely be up 3-2 if not for a couple costly errors.

The White Sox just lost another 4 hour, 11 inning game, this time to Minnesota. I'm worried about the Chicago bullpen after back to back 11 inning marathons.

Yankees got blown out by the Rays and Vazquez looked in his 2004 second half form. I feel a little better since the Sox blew a 3-0 lead against the Royals and Bard got lit up.

The umpiring in the Rays O's series was a joke. They really need to do something about it because I'm sick of watching these jokers sit out there with their thumbs up their asses getting calls wrong and not changing them because of their bullshit pride.

On a lighter note; the rays kicked the yanks asses

bread's done
Back