MLB 2010 Discussion Thread

[quote name='ndshide']Steven Tyler's performance was one of the worst things i've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

I agree, and I like Aerosmith.

[quote name='Matt Young']I agree, and I like Aerosmith.[/QUOTE]

Well, would you want to hear Ronan Tynan sing "Dude Looks Like a Lady"? lol

Ugly freaking game tonight. Sabathia looked like an MMA fighter who gassed in the 3rd round. Both bullpens looked like they weren't ready (though I definitely have to give the edge to the Sox there). Marte should be beaten with a wet towel. David Robertson is a better pitcher than Joba Chamberlain, and should be the one with the guaranteed 8th inning role. Robinson Cano is STILL lazy and lacks focus. Overall, it was typical for the first game of the season. I'm sure both team's hitters are going to love how their averages look tomorrow morning, lol.

Mets Opening Day lineup feels like last year all over again. At least Santana is on the mound. Mets can never hit Josh Johnson though. Here's hoping for Santana to throw a gem...

Good game today- at least the last half. It was good to see regular season baseball again.

For those who don't know, DirecTV is offering a free trial of MLB Extra Innings from today-next weekend.

[quote name='DomLando']Mets Opening Day lineup feels like last year all over again. At least Santana is on the mound. Mets can never hit Josh Johnson though. Here's hoping for Santana to throw a gem...[/QUOTE]

let the tumultuous season begin my friend. i first cant believe Pagan didnt get the start...and we have alex cora leading off.....and fucking mike jacobs at clean up? Mets front office for the fail again! Dont know why they just dont slot Bay or Wright in there and slot jacobs at 3 or 5. whatever. dont see this team doing much any way. i do hope they surprise me but i am not expecting anything at all.

I just hope we can tag about 80-85 because everybody behind Santana has looked awful this past spring. We have 2 long relievers which tells us how much confidence they have in said pitching staff, we chose an aged Frank Catalontto over a decent bench player in Chris Carter who was hot all spring, We sent Ramon Valdes down and chose Sean Green over him...in which Sean Green got blowed the fuck up in the mets final Spring game....and which Valdes looked stellar when he was up....basically, this team is a cluster fuck of shit right now and i hope Met fans dont have high expectations this year because we are not going anywhere. Its going to be a laughable season because cynical outlook may be the only thing that saves our sanity once the mets start tanking in mid april.

Let the season begin!

[quote name='wildcpac']Posada has some of the best hitting seasons for a catcher following the age of 33 outside of Fisk. Isn't 33-35 the falloff cliff for all catchers?

HR's, RBI's, Batting and OPS Plus
33, 97, .277, 122 at 34
20, 90, .338, 153 at 35
22, 81, .285, 133 at 37

Couple of points. Posada didn't play catcher until his early 20's and wasn't a full time player until he was 26. The majority of great catchers all came up in the early 20's into MLB. Posada has the extra 5 years which has carried him well into his mid to late 30's. Mauer does appear to be a freak of nature.[/QUOTE]

Mauer has already caught 5300 big league innings; Posada didn't hit that mark until he was 30. I've got to think that Mauer will see more and more time at DH/1B and less at C starting even this season, otherwise the Twins are looking to get about 140 full games tops out of him per year.

Aside from wear and tear, here's what I'd be most concerned about with Mauer and his contract:

Age, season, BABIP, OPS, IsoP, BB%, K%, LD%, FB%, HR/FB%,

23, 2006, .364, .936, .159, 13.0, 10.4, 24.9, 25.8, 10.8
24, 2007, .319, .808, .133, 12.1, 12.6, 17.9, 27.6, 7.2
25, 2008, .342, .864, .123, 13.3, 9.3, 22.6, 28.3, 6.5
26, 2009, .373, 1.031, .222, 12.5, 12.0, 22.6, 29.5, 20.4

2007 just seems to be a fluke down year, so I won't put much stock into that one. His walk and strikeout rates have been pretty steady and don't really show regression or progression, his line drive rate is solid and steady, and his fly ball percentage is ticking up. It's pretty obvious he's a good hitter, and his four year run of BABIP suggests he can maintain a .320+ clip. What I'm getting to, and what is mind-bogglingly bizarre, is that he went from rubbing elbows with Mark Ellis, Jacoby Ellsbury, Todd Helton, Shannon Stewart, Brian Giles, Randy Wynn, and Brendan Harris in HR/FB% in 2007/2008 to sitting between Adam Dunn and Albert freaking Pujols in 2009.

He was 4th in MLB in BABIP, which kept his average extremely high, and had an obscene spike in HR/FB% last season, which shot his power numbers up. While he's shown that he can sustain a high BABIP (if not quite .373), he's going to need to keep his HR/FB% near 20% for him to put up numbers that would justify paying him $23 mil a year through his age 34 season.

I just don't see it happening.

Hell of a game last night. Yanks bullpen is looking to be a glaring weakness. That Robertson kid does look solid though. He was a K machine last year. He just needs to harness those walks a bit.

I'm a lifelong Sox fan from Massachusetts, but I'm not sold on them yet.

[quote name='integralsmatic']let the tumultuous season begin my friend. i first cant believe Pagan didnt get the start...and we have alex cora leading off.....and fucking mike jacobs at clean up? Mets front office for the fail again! Dont know why they just dont slot Bay or Wright in there and slot jacobs at 3 or 5. whatever. dont see this team doing much any way. i do hope they surprise me but i am not expecting anything at all.

I just hope we can tag about 80-85 because everybody behind Santana has looked awful this past spring. We have 2 long relievers which tells us how much confidence they have in said pitching staff, we chose an aged Frank Catalontto over a decent bench player in Chris Carter who was hot all spring, We sent Ramon Valdes down and chose Sean Green over him...in which Sean Green got blowed the fuck up in the mets final Spring game....and which Valdes looked stellar when he was up....basically, this team is a cluster fuck of shit right now and i hope Met fans dont have high expectations this year because we are not going anywhere. Its going to be a laughable season because cynical outlook may be the only thing that saves our sanity once the mets start tanking in mid april.

Let the season begin![/QUOTE]

Yeah I can go on and on with the mistakes they have made but I'm tired of doing it. I am just happy baseball is back. I am going into this season with no expectations for the Mets, so hopefully I can be pleasantly surprised. Not keeping my hopes up though.

[quote name='integralsmatic']20 minutes until opening day at Citi![/QUOTE]

The new additions to Citi field look real nice. At least they did something right.

[quote name='DomLando']The new additions to Citi field look real nice. At least they did something right.[/QUOTE]

yeah its more mets like now. i still wish the changed the color of some of the walls to our home color....but making everything Mets was a move that should have been done when it opened. Putting the HR Apple in front of Jackie Robinson Rotunda was a must. cant wait to go later this month.

[quote name='integralsmatic']yeah its more mets like now. i still wish the changed the color of some of the walls to our home color....but making everything Mets was a move that should have been done when it opened. Putting the HR Apple in front of Jackie Robinson Rotunda was a must. cant wait to go later this month.[/QUOTE]

2-run HR by Wright in his first at bat. Hopefully a sign of what is to come from him this year.

Also I agree with changing the color of the walls.

[quote name='DomLando']2-run HR by Wright in his first at bat. Hopefully a sign of what is to come from him this year.

Also I agree with changing the color of the walls.[/QUOTE]

FINALLY! please do that more DAVID! and here goes Johnson on tear with 3 straight SOs. funny that both jacobs and bay got caught looking..plus Hanley singled :bomb:

C'mon CORA DO SOMETHING WITH THE BASES LOADED!!!!!!

edit: and this is why i miss Jose Reyes..another DP...whats new in mets world. more squandered opportunities.

[quote name='integralsmatic']C'mon CORA DO SOMETHING WITH THE BASES LOADED!!!!!!

edit: and this is why i miss Jose Reyes..another DP...whats new in mets world. more squandered opportunities.[/QUOTE]

With no outs and the bases loaded I knew we wouldn't score with Santana and then Cora due up.

[quote name='DomLando']With no outs and the bases loaded I knew we wouldn't score with Santana and then Cora due up.[/QUOTE]

and that could bite us in the ass because Johan is in trouble now. :bomb:

[quote name='integralsmatic']and that could bite us in the ass because Johan is in trouble now. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Leave it to the Marlins to make 3 errors in an inning. Hopefully the bullpen doesn't blow it.

Pujols hit 2 HR's already today. Triple Crown this year?!?

So what are you all watching today? I'm watching White Sox vs. Indians while flipping to Dodgers vs. Pirates. Next, I'm on to Cubs vs. Braves, then some wrestling, followed by Twins vs. Angels.

[quote name='Matt Young']So what are you all watching today? I'm watching White Sox vs. Indians while flipping to Dodgers vs. Pirates. Next, I'm on to Cubs vs. Braves, then some wrestling, followed by Twins vs. Angels.[/QUOTE]

Watching the Mets vs Marlins right now. Probably some Cubs vs. Braves next and then flipping back and fourth between the College Basketball Championship and the Twins vs. Angels game.

The Dodgers game just ended. They looked pretty horrible in losing to the Pirates 11-5. Mark Buehrle looked great as the White Sox handles the Indians 6-0. Then, I turned on Cubs/Braves in the bottom of the 2nd, and it's already 8-3 Braves. Guess I missed all the action.

[quote name='Proto Man']Phillies dominated the Nats today 11 -1. Halladay is a beast.[/QUOTE]

I was hoping he would get to 10 K's. Not complaining though.

Driving down to DC for Wednesday Night's game. Can't wait.

Going to the Home Opener at Citizens Bank Park too. I'm pumped.

[quote name='DomLando']Leave it to the Marlins to make 3 errors in an inning. Hopefully the bullpen doesn't blow it.

Pujols hit 2 HR's already today. Triple Crown this year?!?[/QUOTE]

yeah thank god we have Nieve in there. I still think he is a pretty solid back end guy and it Niese can't hold it down..ill have no qualms with with him there...and that could put Calero back in the pen when he is all set and ready.

[quote name='DomLando']Mets win![/QUOTE]
:bouncy::hot:\\:D/:whee:

we had contributions from everyone. i hope this kind of ball keeps happening for the mets. as long as they stay competitive, ill be a happy fan. couldnt stop laughing at the mix reactions the crowd was giving to Manuel,Castillo, and Green.

[quote name='yukine']D'backs take care of the Padres, 6-3. Stephen Drew had an inside-the-park home run. Good start to the season.[/QUOTE]

dont forget Reynolds starting where he left off. could be a repeat season by big mark.

[quote name='yukine']Yup, and he is looking way more patient at the plate.[/QUOTE]

im hoping for Francouer to be the same way at the plate. He actually took a walk. I couldnt believe it!!!

[quote name='wildcpac']Did anybody else see the Mark Buerle between the legs throw to first base to get the runner out?[/QUOTE]

No missed it!!!

Ill have to youtube it.

The Angels game ended the way I thought it would. I'm still not sure if Jared Weaver has what it takes to be the #1 starter, but he looked pretty good last night. Matsui did well, and I'm beginning to feel better about signing him over Guerrero. Brandon Wood looked horrible at bat, and it seems like he'll continue to be the weak link in the angels offense. I'm hoping for at least a .250 avg out of him, but that could be pushing it.

Overall, I'm excited about the new season, and I'm glad that there's finally some competition in the AL West again.

[quote name='wildcpac']Did anybody else see the Mark Buerle between the legs throw to first base to get the runner out?[/QUOTE]

Made number one play on Sportscenter btw :D

The Mets really looked different with all the new acquisitions contributing (Matthews Jr, Bay) as well as a good start for Wright with a HR in the first inning. Really pumped for this season.

[quote name='nycmetsfan']Made number one play on Sportscenter btw :D

The Mets really looked different with all the new acquisitions contributing (Matthews Jr, Bay) as well as a good start for Wright with a HR in the first inning. Really pumped for this season.[/QUOTE]

Are you really pumped for the Mets season? I mean don't get me wrong I am happy baseball is back and I am happy they played well yesterday, but can you really see this team finishing higher than third in the division? The offense should be fine once they get back Beltran and Reyes and as long as they stay healthy, but the pitching is a joke. I would be happy with them just being competitive all year and hopefully finishing above .500.

[quote name='nycmetsfan']Made number one play on Sportscenter btw :D

The Mets really looked different with all the new acquisitions contributing (Matthews Jr, Bay) as well as a good start for Wright with a HR in the first inning. Really pumped for this season.[/QUOTE]

Yeah finally we have guys that can possibly get us hits. Barajas gives us much needed power and control of the pitching staff....something that schneider and Santos couldnt do. Blanco will be another underrated pick up that i see the mets hanging on to.

i was ready to write of Matthews Jr but the dude can cover CF and get us hits when we need them. Maybe he just needed the change of scenery.

Thats all Wright should be doing. Driving balls to right field instead of trying to crush them all the time. he is similar in the way how Piazza drives balls....Wright will get way more than his total from last year.

The only question i have...How good is the staff behind johan. Perez still has command issues and Maine and Pelf seem inconsistent. not liking that.

EDIT:and yeah i am with Dom. I am not sure if we will finish high but as long as we stay competitive, ill be happy. It will be a start in the right direction for once.

[quote name='Brownjohn']The Angels game ended the way I thought it would. I'm still not sure if Jared Weaver has what it takes to be the #1 starter, but he looked pretty good last night. Matsui did well, and I'm beginning to feel better about signing him over Guerrero. Brandon Wood looked horrible at bat, and it seems like he'll continue to be the weak link in the angels offense. I'm hoping for at least a .250 avg out of him, but that could be pushing it.

Overall, I'm excited about the new season, and I'm glad that there's finally some competition in the AL West again.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Wood will be benched by the end of April for Izturis. He needs a change of scenery if he's ever going to succeed.

I'd encourage everyone to watch it since just reading a description can't really do it justice. I've been watching baseball my whole life and that was one of the most athletic and coordinated defensive plays I've ever seen, especially from a pitcher.

Looks like it'll be another long year for the Cubs. Facts learned from opening day:

-Zambrano is bad
-Soto wasn't bad because he was fat, he's bad because he tries to hit a home run every time
-Smadzija is going to be the highest paid minor leaguer for quite some time
-An offense featuring Mike Fontenot cannot make a comeback. Plain and simple.
-Theriot may be the worst .300 hitter of all time
-This year, like last year, the ground ball out will be an enormous problem

Naaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Randy Levine the President of the Yankees just told the owner of the Brewers to shut up about payroll. Just reading the comments from people on espn.com and they come off so misguided both ways. Feels like fans are going to kill eachother on that board.

Couple of quick facts. Baseball in 2009 had it's 5th highest attendance almost 75 million people. Baseball also had it's highest revenue ever at 6.6 billion. Not bad for a league during a huge recession.

Yay for me.

Sport is doing fine obviously, but I've lost most of my interest in it. Paying a bit more attention since I've been a Braves fan since I was little and moved to Atlanta last summer, but it's hard for me to get interested in it when top talent is so concentrated on a handful of teams with large payrolls.

I pretty much just follow college football and basketball, and a little NBA and NFL (if my teams are good) these days.

Yay for me too.

The sport overall is doing fine, but then there are quite a few teams that have no chance at all to win anything such as the Pirates and Royals. Other teams just have to get lucky with drafting and trades such as the A's to be competitive. I would like to see a cap of $75-100 million so it isn't just the Yankees and Red Sox who can make mistakes when signing players and just throw another $20 million at a new player if it didn't work out. What is the Yankees payroll up to now? Somewhere north of $200 million?

[quote name='Thongsy']Yay for me too.

The sport overall is doing fine, but then there are quite a few teams that have no chance at all to win anything such as the Pirates and Royals. Other teams just have to get lucky with drafting and trades such as the A's to be competitive. I would like to see a cap of $75-100 million so it isn't just the Yankees and Red Sox who can make mistakes when signing players and just throw another $20 million at a new player if it didn't work out. What is the Yankees payroll up to now? Somewhere north of $200 million?[/QUOTE]

Yankees is at 200. A good majority of the payroll is reward/compensation for winning. Jeter, Posada, Rivera and Pettitte are all paid well well well above average due to their regular season and post season success. ARod is paid beyond great due to the Rangers offering him 100 million more than any other team (rumored). Yankees were pretty much forced to resign him following 2007 after he hit 55 HR's and 150 RBI's.

Here is the thing that I love about Baseball. If you win and make money, you are able to keep your own players. The Yankees core 3 (Jeter, Posada and Rivera) are now in their 16th season together. Pettitte has been here 13 of those years. No other sports cap lets teams keep their players. Football with the hard cap has got to be the worst. I am sick of seeing players come and go every season because teams cant afford them.

You mention the Royals and the Pirates who both play in small market divisions. They do not have to compete with the large market coast teams directly. They also play in division that have had alot of winning being spread around. AL Central has had Twins, Tigers, Indians and White Sox all make the playoffs the past 5 years. Only the Royals have failed. NL Central has seen the Cubs, Cards, Astros and Brewers all make the playoffs in the last 5 years as well.

The value of the Royals and the Pirates have both gone up very well in the past decade alone. Not bad for the Pirates who haven't had a winning season since 1992 and the Royals since 2003.

And the Yankees can afford to go over the cap. How about making a minimum amount a owner has to spend? I remember people were mad at the Florida owner cause he refused to spend money.

What they need to do is to change the draft system. What's the point when the small market team cant afford to sign the top players? They need to have the NBA system when the salary for rookies are set in place

[quote name='62t']And the Yankees can afford to go over the cap. How about making a minimum amount a owner has to spend? I remember people were mad at the Florida owner cause he refused to spend money.

What they need to do is to change the draft system. What's the point when the small market team cant afford to sign the top players? They need to have the NBA system when the salary for rookies are set in place[/QUOTE]

Marlins were just forced by the MLBPA and MLB to increase their payroll. It's pretty funny because the last 2 years the payroll was below 30 million each time. Each season they won 84 plus.

If their is a salary cap, there is going to be a salary floor. Couple of problems with it. 1 it is going to lead to bad players who are free agents getting big deals. 2, how many teams can actually draw enough fans to support the payroll floor? Imagine if it is like football where the cap is 140 and the floor is 100? Pirates, Royals among others cant afford a 100 floor. Well not anytime soon that is.

bread's done
Back