MLB 2010 Discussion Thread

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Posada (best offensive catcher of the decade, but never considered a good defensive catcher)[/QUOTE]
I was going to say something but then I remembered Piazza hasn't been around for years, and wasn't relevent in his last few anyway. Doesn't seem like that long ago he was top dog. I always viewed Posada as only an above average offensive catcher, but now actually looking up the competition, he and Pudge were the best throughout the year decade. Even looking up guys who I thought were some of the best of the decade: Javy lopez retired a few years ago, Johnny Estrada lost the high average and eventually disappeared, Mauer and McCann have only been around a few years, and Michael Barrett isn't as good as I always thought he was. Basically, he definitely should go in the HoF.

On the other hand, someone who i think will get mentioned from time to time but is probably on the wrong side of the fence: Bernie Williams.

Yeah, Posada flies under the radar, but he definitely put great offensive numbers for a catcher. When MLB Network was doing their rundown of the top 9 players at each position for the decade, Posada was basically one or two for just about all of the offensive stats as a catcher.

What are all your thoughts on the rumor of the Phils offering Howard for Pujols?

The idea that the Phillies would offer it, sure. The idea that the Cardinals wouldn't laugh in their face? Not a chance.

Even the notion that the Cards might want a downgrade in player to fit their long term budget is nullified by the fact that Cards fans would burn down the new Busch if this deal were real.

Originally Posted by FriscoSoxFan@SlickDeals
I called to cancel so I could rebuy and before I was able to give much more than my name and account info, the CSR said, "If this is because of the slickdeals thing, it was a false deal and our site was 'hacked.' I don't know if the customers will be canceled or not because I don't have that info, but if they aren't canceled, we will most likely refund you the difference."

[quote name='integralsmatic']Have no clue why that deal was even thought about. The cards would be stupid to even lightly consider it.[/QUOTE]

Rumor is that Pujols told the Cards that he wants Arod money $250 million. The Cards then called the Phillies about Howard. How much money do you think Pujols would get on the open market in the 2010-2011 off season. Red Sox, Angels, Mets, etc could all use a new stud first basemen.

[quote name='wildcpac']Rumor is that Pujols told the Cards that he wants Arod money $250 million. The Cards then called the Phillies about Howard. How much money do you think Pujols would get on the open market in the 2010-2011 off season. Red Sox, Angels, Mets, etc could all use a new stud first basemen.[/QUOTE]
but if the cards are just now figuring that out, then they are denser than I thought. It's been common knowledge for 3-4 seasons now that Pujols would get, I believe, beyond A-Rod money.

[quote name='wildcpac']Rumor is that Pujols told the Cards that he wants Arod money $250 million. The Cards then called the Phillies about Howard. How much money do you think Pujols would get on the open market in the 2010-2011 off season. Red Sox, Angels, Mets, etc could all use a new stud first basemen.[/QUOTE]

thats my wet dream is to have Albert at first base in a Mets uniform. I would take away half of the bad things i said about omar if Pujols was met.

[quote name='myl0r']but if the cards are just now figuring that out, then they are denser than I thought. It's been common knowledge for 3-4 seasons now that Pujols would get, I believe, beyond A-Rod money.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, if John Mozeliak didnt prepare for this 3-4 years down the road...than he shouldve been fired long ago.

I think the Cardinals' only need to decide whether they want his salary back loaded or not. You really HAVE to sign the guy, whatever he wants.

Although with that said, did anyone else read the article a month or so ago on Yahoo comparing Frank Thomas to Albert Pujols after 8 seasons? It's scary how similar their stats are. Frank Thomas is a hell of a player, and one of my all times favorites, but if Pujols takes a similar course that Thomas did in the last 10 years(note-I don't think he will), then locking him in for $30m/yr would not be great. But you still gotta do it.

I think a big question (and one that I don't know the answer to) is who is Pujol's agent? If it's Boras, then the Cards are looking at a 10 year contract worth +$300mil. If it's not, then I imagine Pujols would be willing to take a smaller contract, whether in price and/or length, to stay with the team. Maybe more along the lines of, say, 8 years at maybe $200-$220mil.

That strike year really fucked Tony Gwynn and Thomas over big time. Frank Thomas would be seen completely different if he was able to hit for the triple crown.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']That strike year really fucked Tony Gwynn and Thomas over big time. Frank Thomas would be seen completely different if he was able to hit for the triple crown.[/QUOTE]

It also fucked the Yankees...but not as bad as it fucked the Montreal Expos. That team might have never moved if the season had been allowed to play out.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']It also fucked the Yankees...but not as bad as it fucked the Montreal Expos. That team might have never moved if the season had been allowed to play out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it sucks for Donny Baseball. It would have been his first time in the post season in over 13 years at that point. Everyone was screwed that strike year.

Natstown released Elijah Dukes. I wonder who is going to pick him. He had an OPS of 130 in 2008 with 13 HR's, 45 RBI's in 80 games. Only 25 and plays a decent RF.

The rumor behind the release is due the injuries the past couple of years and that he has cleaned up his life. I did read that he fathered like 5 kids between 4 different women between 2004 and 2007.

[quote name='wildcpac']The rumor behind the release is due the injuries the past couple of years and that he has cleaned up his life. I did read that he fathered like 5 kids between 4 different women between 2004 and 2007.[/QUOTE]

dannng, i wonder how much he is behind in Child support.

Just heard on WFan that Ron Washington the manager of the Rangers tested positive for Cocaine last year. He saved his job by calling Selig and notifying the Rangers bosses that he failed his test before the results came back.

Pujols has been the face of St. Louis sports since 2001. I don't see any way he's not going to get resigned. Mozeliak is not stupid. He knows what the repercussions will be from the fan base if they lose Albert. As a lifelong Cardinals fan, I will be disappointed if I don't see Pujols and Holliday batting 3-4 for at least the next 6 years.

Mauer just signed with the Twins for 8 years 184 million according to Espn and SI. If Pujols goes to free agency add another 60-70 million on top of that 184.

The Indians aren't going anywhere this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fausto Carmona gets serious Cy Young consideration like Cliff Lee did a few seasons ago.

[quote name='Filbert']The Indians aren't going anywhere this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fausto Carmona gets serious Cy Young consideration like Cliff Lee did a few seasons ago.[/QUOTE]

He is going to have to come up REALLY BIG than...because all he had was really 2 good seasons and ever since that injury he had, he is no where near the same as he was.

So the Mets are going in to the season with 2 long relievers............Shows how much confidence the mets have in their starters lol.

Oh yeah, I'm hoping he returns to his highest form. What else do I have to look forward to this season?

[quote name='dafoomie']Andre Dawson was the 2nd guy in the history of the game to have 400 HR and 300 steals. The first was Willie Mays, the only other was Bonds. He won an MVP, 8 Gold Gloves, and was an 8 time All Star. McGriff accumulated more HR in his career by being a middling power hitter in an era with more home runs. Fred McGriff has nothing on Andre Dawson.

If you want to see what Bonds might've been without steroids, look at Andre Dawson.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but that's wrong. I'm skipping a couple pages of unknown material to point this out.

Dawson's highest career OPS+: 157
Dawson's best five year run of OPS+: 111, 136, 157, 132, 141
Dawson's ten best seasons of OPS+: 157, 137, 136, 135, 132, 130, 123, 116, 115, 115

McGriff's highest career OPS+: 166
McGriff's best five year run of OPS+: 157, 166, 153, 147, 166
McGriff's ten best seasons of OPS+: 166, 166, 157, 157, 153, 147, 144, 143, 142, 130

Dawson stole bases for a few years, McGriff didn't, that closes the gap. If Dawson's in the Hall, McGriff should been in as well.

As for the Bonds comparison, Bonds had nine consecutive pre-steroid seasons with a higher OPS+ than Dawson's career high; many of them were 25+ points higher.

Please post more ridiculous stuff in the future.

[quote name='Matt Young']http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/MattYoung/Dodgers vs Royals/

Dodgers vs. Royals photos from Friday.[/QUOTE]

pretty nice man.must've felt good to watch some spring ball.

I cant wait to go to a ball game this year. I got tix for the Met/Braves series in April. Ill be taking video/pics of that also. i havent been to citi yet so, it should be a wild ride. i just hope i go on a Santana start. ill refund if its an Ollie Start lol...he got blowed up today by the cards.

[quote name='wildcpac']Mauer just signed with the Twins for 8 years 184 million according to Espn and SI. If Pujols goes to free agency add another 60-70 million on top of that 184.[/QUOTE]
sorry to go back a few days on the discussion, but I heard Buster Olney on the St. Louis ESPN radio station over the weekend, and he was talking about how it might not be a lock for Pujols to get $250-300 mil. I don't want to make him sound like a looney, because I think he talked about how Pujols is gonna get a huge contract, but he was simply stating how some teams are going to be in a bidding war for him because Adrian Gonzalez goes to FA that same year.

Also, he talked about how Mauer's contract could be a deterrent because Mauer is much younger, adds offense to a position where offense is not as deep, is coming into his own as a power hitter. Basically Mauer would probably be more sought after.
He talked about how the majority of GM's he's talked to have said if they redrafted the entire league, most GM's would take Mauer as the cornerstone of their team right now over Pujols.

Just something I found interesting.

That is interesting, the thing about Mauer is he is a catcher, how long can his body handle the wear and tear of the position? He needs to move to 1st or DH soon.

[quote name='vrs1650']That is interesting, the thing about Mauer is he is a catcher, how long can his body handle the wear and tear of the position? He needs to move to 1st or DH soon.[/QUOTE]

Pudge is still playing catcher after 19 years. he just has to take care of himself.

[quote name='integralsmatic']pretty nice man.must've felt good to watch some spring ball.

I cant wait to go to a ball game this year. I got tix for the Met/Braves series in April. Ill be taking video/pics of that also. i havent been to citi yet so, it should be a wild ride. i just hope i go on a Santana start. ill refund if its an Ollie Start lol...he got blowed up today by the cards.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I went to Arizona for WrestleMania and its surrounding events, but I went to the LA/KC game last Friday and the Cubs/Reds game Monday. I'll post a link to the Cubs/Reds pics once I get them uploaded.

I hadn't been to a baseball game since maybe 2001-2002. The only MLB games I have attended in the regular season have been Cardinals games. I don't like them, but I got to go for free both times. I lived an hour and a half from St. Louis for many years.

I'd love to go to at least one game at Dodger Stadium this season. LA is an hour away from where I live now. And while the Dodgers are not my favorite team (White Sox always have been), I started following LA when Jayson Werth was drafted out of my high school to play for them, and they became my #2 team/NL team after I moved to Southern California. I'm also tempted to check out their minor league team, the Inland Empire 66ers, who play very close to where I live.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Pudge is still playing catcher after 19 years. he just has to take care of himself.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, Mauer is a huge guy: he's listed at 6'5" and 230. That's gonna make it hard on him to stay behind the plate. Plus, Pudge really had no choice but to keep himself in shape and keep playing behind the plate. There's really no where for him to go. His bat isn't good enough anymore to become a 1B or DH. If he wants to play in the Majors, he needs to behind the plate.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']The thing is, Mauer is a huge guy: he's listed at 6'5" and 230. That's gonna make it hard on him to stay behind the plate. Plus, Pudge really had no choice but to keep himself in shape and keep playing behind the plate. There's really no where for him to go. His bat isn't good enough anymore to become a 1B or DH. If he wants to play in the Majors, he needs to behind the plate.[/QUOTE]

Ah I see. I shoulda looked up his weight. yeah his knees could be shot in 10 years.

[quote name='wildcpac']So are Mets fans happy that Daniel Murphy got hurt?[/QUOTE]

:wall::fridge:#-o

if those emoticons dont express my feelings i dont know what will. its just getting old hearing a player on the Mets getting hurt when we need them the most. first beltran, than reyes, and now Murph. The only saving grace is that Mike Jacobs will be there to fill in and not Double Play Tatis. Also ike davis is waiting in the minor leagues...so murph would get at most a year there before davis comes up and claims that spot.

Getting read for another Met season full of disappointments. i hope they prove me wrong.

Pudge was also allegedly on steroids, and his IsoP dropped 50 points when he turned 31 (and another 30 points when he turned 34). Unless Mauer splits time with Morneau at 1B/DH or moves to corner outfield, his contract will be a colossal mistake in about four years.

Watching Yankees/Sox tonight, and White Sox/Indians and Dodgers/Pirates tomorrow.

My predictions:

NL East: Phillies
NL Central: Cardinals
NL West: Dodgers
NL WC: Rockies

AL East: Yankees
AL Central: White Sox
AL West: Mariners
AL WC: Angels

World Series: Yankees over Phillies

[quote name='Matt Young']Watching Yankees/Sox tonight, and White Sox/Indians and Dodgers/Pirates tomorrow.

My predictions:

World Series: Yankees over Phillies[/QUOTE]

Wow, you dont like the R Sox? Pitching staff and defense are both well above average to great. Sox still need another bat which they could easily make a trade for by the All Star Break like last year if needed.

Yankees, Red Sox (WC), Twins and Mariners
Phillies, Braves (WC), Cardinals and Dodgers.

Giants have a good shot at the WC too if their offense can finally show some life outside of Sandoval. Braves have a very good pitching staff, a healthy Chipper and a team motivated to get Bobby into the playoffs one last time.

ARod and Pujols for MVP
Felix and Doc Halladay for Cy Young

Yankees over Phillies in the WS.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Pudge was also allegedly on steroids, and his IsoP dropped 50 points when he turned 31 (and another 30 points when he turned 34). Unless Mauer splits time with Morneau at 1B/DH or moves to corner outfield, his contract will be a colossal mistake in about four years.[/QUOTE]

Posada has some of the best hitting seasons for a catcher following the age of 33 outside of Fisk. Isn't 33-35 the falloff cliff for all catchers?

HR's, RBI's, Batting and OPS Plus
33, 97, .277, 122 at 34
20, 90, .338, 153 at 35
22, 81, .285, 133 at 37

Couple of points. Posada didn't play catcher until his early 20's and wasn't a full time player until he was 26. The majority of great catchers all came up in the early 20's into MLB. Posada has the extra 5 years which has carried him well into his mid to late 30's. Mauer does appear to be a freak of nature.

Red Sox, Twins, Texas, Yankees (WC)
Phillies, Cardinals, Rockies, Braves (WC)

Mauer and Utley for MVPs
Lackey and Halladay for Cy Young

Phillies over R. Sox in the WS

Kind-of homerish picks, I'll admit. None of them are that big of a stretch though.

So is Curtis Granderson going to be the 2010 Nick Swisher? The guy Yankee fans thought we'd hate, but he started out ridiculously hot, until he's batting .150 for a month and we hate him again?

[quote name='Matt Young']Watching Yankees/Sox tonight, and White Sox/Indians and Dodgers/Pirates tomorrow.

My predictions:

World Series: Yankees over Phillies[/QUOTE]

The only different picks i would make here are the central to the Twins, AL West to the Angels and WC to the Red Sox. The mariners are overrated with their big signings. If they think they are going to win with Milton Bradley as clean-up..they have another thing coming to them.

AHAHAHA...nice play Martinez! Gotta love that double steal with Jeter and Gardner! I have to feel that was a bit of an F-U for last year when Ellsbury stole home on Andy Pettitte. Hilarious! Hope CC stays strong. Nice to see Beckett pitching like himself though :)

[quote name='integralsmatic']The only different picks i would make here are the central to the Twins, AL West to the Angels and WC to the Red Sox. The mariners are overrated with their big signings. If they think they are going to win with Milton Bradley as clean-up..they have another thing coming to them.[/QUOTE]

What about the Mets winning the East?!?!? What kind of fan are you?!?!

haha nah I'm just kidding, Phillies got it. Mets will be lucky to get third.

[quote name='Chronis']So is Curtis Granderson going to be the 2010 Nick Swisher? The guy Yankee fans thought we'd hate, but he started out ridiculously hot, until he's batting .150 for a month and we hate him again?[/QUOTE]

Swisher 2009 could hit on the road but not at home. He would have been a 40/120 player if all 162 games were on the road.

Granderson homerun chart from last year was all to RF and played half of his games in Comerica. Put him in the new YS and he should just flat out rake. Knock on wood.

[quote name='wildcpac']Swisher 2009 could hit on the road but not at home. He would have been a 40/120 player if all 162 games were on the road.

Granderson homerun chart from last year was all to RF and played half of his games in Comerica. Put him in the new YS and he should just flat out rake. Knock on wood.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Unlike many lefties who come to the Yankees and then tailor their swing to the stadium, his swing is already made for that place. If he can replicate the kind of production he had last year, we are looking at a huge season out of him.

bread's done
Back