MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
As everyone else is saying this is basically a broken record about Silva. That video with Dana is hilarious. I'm just glad that Dana never tries to defend Silva after this crap. I thought Maia won the last 2 rounds because in those rounds, he was actually trying to do something. I would have never stopped laughing if Maia could have somehow got a hold on one of Silva's legs or submitted him somehow. The Maia and GSP chants during the later rounds of the fight were awesome.

I don't know who will be next for Silva, maybe Belfort. If it is Vitor I will be a huge fan of his on that night. Silva always acts respectful before the fights but then acts like a jackass during the fight. He needs to realize that everyone would rather see him end his fights in the first round than jack off for 5 rounds. But in the end its just another time where Dana has to apologize because Silva won't do it.

Is Anderson Silva a great fighter? fuck yes. Will I ever drop money on a PPV that he's headlining again? fuck no. To see someone that far above his opponent absolutely coast to decision is inexcusable. He could have finished Maia in the first round, easily, and instead chose to showboat through the rounds. fuck him.

If there weren't fans of the UFC, these fighters wouldn't be making money, period. The fans make the sport, that goes for MMA, MLB, NFL, whatever. I absolutely don't want, or expect, to see a KO or Sub every fight I watch. I love seeing a good 3 or 5 round fight. Hell, I even enjoyed the GSP vs Dan Hardy fight from 111, despite it being completely one-sided. At least GSP stayed active, and attempted to finish the fight. Basically, when you do what Anderson did last night, you're spitting in the face of the people who make it possible for you to make a living fighting.

Frankie Edgar impressed the hell out of me last night. I honestly thought he had almost no chance of beating BJ, and he did just that. I think it was after the Sanchez fight that I was talking on here about them needing new blood in the LW division because no one there could beat him. I was very, very happen to be proven wrong.

I gained a lot of respect for Maia after last night. During the fifth round when he was going all out, I was praying one of his punches would connect just right and put that showboat on the ground. I wanna see Silva move up and get his ass beat. He's still prob the best p4p fighter out there but he lost me as a fan.

Anderson does this when he is forced into fighting someone he has no interest in. If Dana wants to see killer Anderson Silva, he needs to make mega fights (like he did with Griffin). Anderson needs out of this weight class.

[quote name='Pavel6969']Anderson does this when he is forced into fighting someone he has no interest in. If Dana wants to see killer Anderson Silva, he needs to make mega fights (like he did with Griffin). Anderson needs out of this weight class.[/QUOTE]

thats a pitiful excuse. in no way does that make his disrespect even slightly acceptable.

Look, I'm not a MMA fan, but I'm a common sense fan.

It's not on Silva to knock out anyone, it's not on Silva to impress anyone....IT'S ON SILVA TO WIN.

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME

It's like how in boxing people get mad at Floyd. Floyd is a horribly boring defensive boxer..but he WINS.

Silva was paid to go in that fight and win. There wasn't any knockout conditions that were publicly known. There wasn't any submission details that anyone were aware of. He was paid to what? WIN.

And did Silva win? YES. He won. What the fuck is wrong with yall???? And what the fuck is wrong with Dana White???? You don't like it Dana? Put on your big boy shoes and get the man someone that can whoop his ass, or at least challenge him!

Or, throw so much money at him that he'll move up a weight class and fight better people. Do something!

Or...keep feeding the dude cupcakes and cream puffs and watch him laugh at 'em.

Dana White talking about being like Mike Tyson. Shut that shit up. Dana White wants to pimp his fighters and caters to people who encourage blood and 1 hitta quittas.

It took dude 5 rounds to finally grow some balls and attack Silva. He should have done it in the 2nd round when Silva was taunting him like a bitch. Yea, he took his manhood so early in the match that it was disgustingly hilarious.

To be the man, you have to beat the man. And the ref should have stepped in the 3rd round if he felt like Silva was running too much. I mean Silva ran BEHIND the ref at one point and the ref laughed!!!! Ref was just playing the crowd's reaction.

Basically, I don't see what's wrong with Silva clowning this dude. Give the man some competition and I bet you he'll actually fight. I've done the same thing...

[quote name='strongpimphand']Look, I'm not a MMA fan, but I'm a common sense fan.

It's not on Silva to knock out anyone, it's not on Silva to impress anyone....IT'S ON SILVA TO WIN.

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME

It's like how in boxing people get mad at Floyd. Floyd is a horribly boring defensive boxer..but he WINS.

Silva was paid to go in that fight and win. There wasn't any knockout conditions that were publicly known. There wasn't any submission details that anyone were aware of. He was paid to what? WIN.

And did Silva win? YES. He won. What the fuck is wrong with yall???? And what the fuck is wrong with Dana White???? You don't like it Dana? Put on your big boy shoes and get the man someone that can whoop his ass, or at least challenge him!

Or, throw so much money at him that he'll move up a weight class and fight better people. Do something!

Dana White talking about being like Mike Tyson. Shut that shit up. Dana White wants to pimp his fighters and caters to people who encourage blood and 1 hitta quittas.

It took dude 5 rounds to finally grow some balls and attack Silva. He should have done it in the 2nd round when Silva was taunting him like a bitch. Yea, he took his manhood so early in the match that it was disgustingly hilarious.

To be the man, you have to beat the man. And the ref should have stepped in the 3rd round if he felt like Silva was running too much. I mean Silva ran BEHIND the ref at one point and the ref laughed!!!! Ref was just playing the crowd's reaction.

Basically, I don't see what's wrong with Silva clowning this dude. Give the man some competition and I bet you he'll actually fight. I've done the same thing...[/QUOTE]

You say you're not an MMA fan and I'd be willing to bet that you were saying this stuff after Silva's fight with Thales Leites. This isn't pro wrestling. If I want to see someone showing off and disrespecting his opponent I will watch wrestling. Even last night more than his fight with Leites it was not just his job to win. Dana said he had been excited about this event for weeks. This was the first time for the UFC going to Abu Dhabi. Dana wanted this to leave the fans there wanting more, not booing and chanting for GSP (which was hilarious) during the main event.

I like Silva, but there was no way I was paying for a pay-per-view with him fighting a bjj fighter. I did that with the last bjj fighter and got burned. Also, I think he does better with people not from Brazil, it seems like he will finish them quicker. Most of the people he fights from Brazil goes to the score card. I don't think it is right it is just something I noticed.

[quote name='bg88']You say you're not an MMA fan and I'd be willing to bet that you were saying this stuff after Silva's fight with Thales Leites. This isn't pro wrestling. If I want to see someone showing off and disrespecting his opponent I will watch wrestling. Even last night more than his fight with Leites it was not just his job to win. Dana said he had been excited about this event for weeks. This was the first time for the UFC going to Abu Dhabi. Dana wanted this to leave the fans there wanting more, not booing and chanting for GSP (which was hilarious) during the main event.[/QUOTE]
Here's the thing though. You and all these other hardcore MMA fans want Silva to be this killing machine who puts on great matches and destroys everyone. Like how a boy plays with their action figures and destroys everyone with 'em.

Silva's job is not to have the crowd cheering and shit...it's to win. You play to win the game, and that holds true in EVERY sport. It's like the Detroit Pistons and San Antonino Spurs jobs weren't to draw the biggest crowds...it was to win championships in the early 2000's.

It's not Silva's job to just destroy people. It's the opponent's job to destroy Silva, or, to win a majority of the rounds. Right?

Maybe this is why I don't get excited for MMA. This would be like Paul Taligbue being pissed off at Bill Bellichek back in the early 2000's for playing defensive football the whole time and refusing to be offensive in route to his 3 rings. Illogical.

Give that Silva man some money or force him (I don't know if you can) to move up a weight class.

I just wanna note that I COMPLETELY understand if you or any other fan refuses to buy a UFC PPV because of his actions. It's your money and you pay for what you like. I just don't understand how yall are piling on this dude when he wins. Doesn't make sense. Enjoy his wins or demand that he faces tougher people. I laughed all the way through this fight when I downloaded it. It was hilarious how irritating he was. Maia lost the will to fight until he was literally against the wall with a swollen eye and busted nose. That's pitiful!

If I were a betting man...
I would put money on Silva letting it go to decision for $$$ reasons. Simply there was money wager not just on the outcome, but on the duration of the match. Whoever picked Silva to win by decision made out like a bandit. Watch the last 2 rounds and tell me he didn't want it to go to decision. Also he had many chances on punches to end it in first two rounds and seemingly missed on purpose. (he is a precision puncher and those missing are way out of character for his last 10 fights). I can see a Brazilian betting ring being in cohorts with him.

both of your posts are idiotic. first and foremost, the ufc, nfl, and professional boxing are for the entertainment of the audience. why do you think the nfl owners meeting this offseason will address the issue of benching players late in the season? wins in that scenario dont mean anything but the entertainment of the fans suffer. when fans dont watch the owners/players dont get money. its the same thing, people wont pay for silva, every event hes on the other fighters on the card will lose out.

if a fighter wants to cruise to a win over lesser competition thats one thing, but when a fighter openly mocks and disrespects his colleague and professional fighter in front of millions during a sporting event its without excuse. every one of your examples refers to winning, this isnt high school athletics, this is a professional sport run to make money by entertaining fans. the references to the patriots and spurs are ill-suited, both of those teams implemented a gameplan and played their games competitively, more akin to gsp wrestling for 5 rounds.

"Give the man some competition and I bet you he'll actually fight. I've done the same thing..."
really?...really?
what a jackass.

[quote name='strongpimphand']Look, I'm not a MMA fan, but I'm a common sense fan.

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME

Basically, I don't see what's wrong with Silva clowning this dude. Give the man some competition and I bet you he'll actually fight. I've done the same thing...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='strongpimphand']Here's the thing though. You and all these other hardcore MMA fans want Silva to be this killing machine who puts on great matches and destroys everyone. Like how a boy plays with their action figures and destroys everyone with 'em.

Silva's job is not to have the crowd cheering and shit...it's to win. You play to win the game, and that holds true in EVERY sport. It's like the Detroit Pistons and San Antonino Spurs jobs weren't to draw the biggest crowds...it was to win championships in the early 2000's.

It's not Silva's job to just destroy people. It's the opponent's job to destroy Silva, or, to win a majority of the rounds. Right?

Maybe this is why I don't get excited for MMA. This would be like Paul Taligbue being pissed off at Bill Bellichek back in the early 2000's for playing defensive football the whole time and refusing to be offensive in route to his 3 rings. Illogical.

Give that Silva man some money or force him (I don't know if you can) to move up a weight class.

I just wanna note that I COMPLETELY understand if you or any other fan refuses to buy a UFC PPV because of his actions. It's your money and you pay for what you like. I just don't understand how yall are piling on this dude when he wins. Doesn't make sense. Enjoy his wins or demand that he faces tougher people. I laughed all the way through this fight when I downloaded it. It was hilarious how irritating he was. Maia lost the will to fight until he was literally against the wall with a swollen eye and busted nose. That's pitiful![/QUOTE]

[quote name='strongpimphand']I just wanna note that I COMPLETELY understand if you or any other fan refuses to buy a UFC PPV because of his actions. It's your money and you pay for what you like. I just don't understand how yall are piling on this dude when he wins. Doesn't make sense. Enjoy his wins or demand that he faces tougher people. I laughed all the way through this fight when I downloaded it. It was hilarious how irritating he was. Maia lost the will to fight until he was literally against the wall with a swollen eye and busted nose. That's pitiful![/QUOTE]

I think this is the main point. The reason Dana is upset is because his sport is centered around Pay-Per-View. It's not the NFL or NBA where games are televised for free. It's not like Silva should be given a mandate of "oh, you HAVE to win by knockout!" But if he's not interested in delivering an entertaining fight (as others have mentioned, GSP vs Hardy also went to a decision, but it was entertaining), he has no business fighting on the PPV, and sure as hell has no business being the main event.

Sure, winning is winning, but money is also money. And I also agree with others that openly mocking and disrespecting your opponent is indefensible. To use your NFL or NBA comparison, players would be given HUGE fines for that garbage. Would it be "hilarious" to you if Lebron James acted like that all game long? Is this the XFL? It's about being a professional. And win or not, what Silva did was completely classless and it hurts the sport.

[quote name='paz9x']both of your posts are idiotic. first and foremost, the ufc, nfl, and professional boxing are for the entertainment of the audience. why do you think the nfl owners meeting this offseason will address the issue of benching players late in the season? wins in that scenario dont mean anything but the entertainment of the fans suffer. when fans dont watch the owners/players dont get money. its the same thing, people wont pay for silva, every event hes on the other fighters on the card will lose out.

if a fighter wants to cruise to a win over lesser competition thats one thing, but when a fighter openly mocks and disrespects his colleague and professional fighter in front of millions during a sporting event its without excuse. every one of your examples refers to winning, this isnt high school athletics, this is a professional sport run to make money by entertaining fans. the references to the patriots and spurs are ill-suited, both of those teams implemented a gameplan and played their games competitively, more akin to gsp wrestling for 5 rounds.

"Give the man some competition and I bet you he'll actually fight. I've done the same thing..."
really?...really?
what a jackass.[/QUOTE]

He's not suppose to be your jiggaboo or cyborg and be a "Mike Tyson". Only Mike Tyson is Mike Tyson. Silva is a grown ass man. Get that bullshit outta here.

You type how this isn't high school athletics. You're right. THIS IS PROFESSIONAL SPORTS. I don't even have to comment further honestly on that part. It's not like Maia was an amatuer, which would be different. Dude is a professional. He should have been able to fight Silva, or at least go down a-blazin'

Anderson is doing this to strictly send a message, don't make him fight unworthy challengers or he will embarrass you. Is it a good plan? No, but it is definitely the way he is doing things.

I never understood the heat Anderson took for the Leites fight, since Leites turtled constantly, and the Cote fight was the first true showing of what Anderson will do when forced to fight someone he sees as a weak challenger.

If Anderson stays at middleweight, he still have Belfort and Walderli he could fight, both of whom would make for highlight knockouts for Anderson due to their straight forward striking style.

GSP doesn't want to fight Silva imo. He will not move up in weight, forcing Anderson to drop down to make the fight happen. George is happy to dominate his division with his lay and pray style, and he knows a move up in weight would be bad news because he wouldn't be able to manhandle guys who are much bigger than he is.

[quote name='Pavel6969']Anderson is doing this to strictly send a message, don't make him fight unworthy challengers or he will embarrass you. Is it a good plan? No, but it is definitely the way he is doing things.

I never understood the heat Anderson took for the Leites fight, since Leites turtled constantly, and the Cote fight was the first true showing of what Anderson will do when forced to fight someone he sees as a weak challenger.

If Anderson stays at middleweight, he still have Belfort and Walderli he could fight, both of whom would make for highlight knockouts for Anderson due to their straight forward striking style.

GSP doesn't want to fight Silva imo. He will not move up in weight, forcing Anderson to drop down to make the fight happen. George is happy to dominate his division with his lay and pray style, and he knows a move up in weight would be bad news because he wouldn't be able to manhandle guys who are much bigger than he is.[/QUOTE]

You praise Silva and then call GSP "lay and pray"? Are you fucking kidding me??? GSP dominates his opponents, and does so without having to dance around like a fairie. I agree that it's dumb for GSP to move up to fight Silva...but only for the same reason it was stupid for BJ to move up to fight GSP. These guys are at the maximum cutting point for their division. I think there are several WW BJ could beat...and I think there are several MW that GSP could beat. But the top guys who ALREADY cut to make weight? No freaking way.

I just feel like Silva is trying to have it both ways. He acts like he's "bored" with his division, but when Dana wanted him to make a run at the LHW belt, he refused because he's friends with Machida. Now, it's like he's being a dick just for the sake of being a dick. Unless this is a temper tantrum because Dana won't let him fight Roy Jones Jr. I don't know, maybe he needs a change of scenery or something. I'd rather see the old Anderson back than him leave the UFC, but I definitely don't want to see any more showboating from him.

The UFC desperately needs to think about implementing the yellow card system that PRIDE had.......or start telling refs to take a point from a fighter for taunting.

What Silva does also takes away from every other fighter on the card. The Edgar/Penn fight isn't being discussed much, nor is the ridiculous comeback for Munoz. Instead the lasting impression from what was an historic event is that Silva fought like an asshole.....again.

[quote name='Ronzilla']Interesting article from Yahoo! sports, also calls into question the drop to middleweight to fight GSP.[/QUOTE]

I heard rumor that GSP was suppose to enter the Octgon after the fight to challenge Anderson Silva but Dana called it off. It would be awesome if Dana did let it happen. GSP would so called out Anderson Silva, "I am not impressed by your performance."

mm5pus.gif

[quote name='blueweltall']I heard rumor that GSP was suppose to enter the Octgon after the fight to challenge Anderson Silva but Dana called it off. It would be awesome if Dana did let it happen. GSP would so called out Anderson Silva, "I am not impressed by your performance."[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I didn't hear that but it might explain why he was sitting up so close to Dana at the event.

I think even during Joe Ro's commentary, he did his best GSP impression with that comment LOL. :lol:

I REALLLLLY want to know what he said to Silva after the Post-Fight News Conference because that's when the
"Trailer Meeting" went down. I wonder how you say "fuck" in Portuguese?

[quote name='GUNNM']
mm5pus.gif
[/QUOTE]

LOL at the gif!

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I am just sick and tired of Silva's bullshit. Just like everyone else has said his acting like a jackass isn't what I pay money to see. I just don't even care who he fights next, I am just not interested in watching him fight anymore. However, I would love to see Dana "reward" him for his efforts with a heavyweight fight, with Carwin or Lesnar lol. My dream fight is for him to fight Fedor........ oh man would I love to see that. Also just want to say sometimes Dana White does things that make me hate his guts but then I see videos like that interview posted earlier and I almost love him again haha. Seriously though, his post fight reactions and what he told Ed Soares after the 4th round were just hilarious.

[quote name='cgarb84']Also just want to say sometimes Dana White does things that make me hate his guts but then I see videos like that interview posted earlier and I almost love him again haha. Seriously though, his post fight reactions and what he told Ed Soares after the 4th round were just hilarious.[/QUOTE]

What I love about Dana is he's not at all your typical big money, smooth talking businessman kind of guy who is in charge of a company. He's a regular guy. He gets angry like a regular guy. He makes mistakes like a regular guy. He puts his foot in his mouth like a regular guy. But he's real. He doesn't bullshit anybody. He may say something that he'll change his mind about later, so then people think he's full of shit. But when he says it, he means it. He's just not a guy who waits on his lawyers to write up prepared statements before he speaks. But I like him for that.

I just hope he can stick to his guns with this Silva decision and not let the politics of shunning your MW champion play into it. At the very least, I wish he'd fine Silva for being disrespectful to his opponent. How is it any different than an NBA player taunting, or Chad Ochocinco doing something crazy in the endzone? It's unfortunate that a fighter of Silva's caliber needs "parenting", but he's proven 3 times now that he can't be trusted. Like I said before, hit him where it hurts: the wallet.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']What I love about Dana is he's not at all your typical big money, smooth talking businessman kind of guy who is in charge of a company. He's a regular guy. He gets angry like a regular guy. He makes mistakes like a regular guy. He puts his foot in his mouth like a regular guy. But he's real. He doesn't bullshit anybody. He may say something that he'll change his mind about later, so then people think he's full of shit. But when he says it, he means it. He's just not a guy who waits on his lawyers to write up prepared statements before he speaks. But I like him for that.

I just hope he can stick to his guns with this Silva decision and not let the politics of shunning your MW champion play into it. At the very least, I wish he'd fine Silva for being disrespectful to his opponent. How is it any different than an NBA player taunting, or Chad Ochocinco doing something crazy in the endzone? It's unfortunate that a fighter of Silva's caliber needs "parenting", but he's proven 3 times now that he can't be trusted. Like I said before, hit him where it hurts: the wallet.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry, but I can't remember the last time a boxer has been fined for "excessive celebrations" or "clowning" or whatever you wanna call it.

These are both professional fighters. The Maia guy should have been good enough to fight the guy. This wasn't an professional vs amateur event. Maia should have been able to punch Silva in the damn mouth for what Silva was doing to him. At least try!

Instead, I saw a match of Maia being too trigger shy to challenge the champion until the 5th round. And by then, his eye was shut and his nose was busted!

I just don't see what Silva was suppose to do.

On a honest no joking manner...what was Silva suppose to do with an inferior opponent? Knock him out? Make him tap? What? Since Dana White used Tyson...Tyson's strategy (which he has stated multiple times) was to knock 'em out ASAP. Would yall have loved the fight if Silva did so in 20 seconds???

I'm just curious.

I heard the announcer talk about how Pride has the yellow card system. UFC should implement that. That's what Dana White should have been crying about..how he has to do such things like that!

[quote name='strongpimphand']
On a honest no joking manner...what was Silva suppose to do with an inferior opponent? Knock him out? Make him tap? What? Since Dana White used Tyson...Tyson's strategy (which he has stated multiple times) was to knock 'em out ASAP. Would yall have loved the fight if Silva did so in 20 seconds???

[/QUOTE]

Silva is supposed to be one of the pound-for-pound best fighters in the world. If he is facing such an inferior opponent, why not finish him early to prove your position as a top fighter? There are literally no benefits to what Silva was doing. Him prolonging the fight increased his chance of getting injured, increased his chance of getting caught in a submission, disrespected his opponent, make a joke out of the fight, pissed off the fans who help pay his salary, pissed off his boss, left a black mark on a historic night, etc.

I really wouldn't mind seeing Dana throw Silva in there with a heavyweight just so he could get punched in the face a few times. Throw him in there with someone like Carwin or Velasquez and see what happens if Silva acts like a fool. Fedor against Silva would also be awesome to see. I don't think anyone would have been pissed if Silva finished the fight very early. Then people would have been talking about how great Silva is, instead of him being a dick.

shouldnt he be just as mad if not more with the guy silva was fighting? he didnt put up much of a fight till the end and i dont know of too many other mma fighters who would let someone taunt them like that and not answer back with some kind of violence. the guy got scared , hell can anyone blame him, he got in the ring ready to use whatever game plan he had to get the win and it all fell apart on him. nobody jumps in there looking to lose but when faced with that fact that he was pretty much going to lose he basically froze up.

i do think its shitty silva didnt just knock him out and end the damn thing as soon as he knew he had the momentum but my guess is theres more to all this than the public will probably ever know. could be due to gambling ( since i doubt many people had the match going the distance) could be something else. maybe silva wanted white to know that he didnt have as much control over him as he thought. its not the first time a disgruntled employee has done something to piss off their boss.

overall most of the main fights were less than exciting the first few fights were awesome though.

[quote name='lokizz']i do think its shitty silva didnt just knock him out and end the damn thing as soon as he knew he had the momentum but my guess is theres more to all this than the public will probably ever know. could be due to gambling ( since i doubt many people had the match going the distance) could be something else. maybe silva wanted white to know that he didnt have as much control over him as he thought. its not the first time a disgruntled employee has done something to piss off their boss.

overall most of the main fights were less than exciting the first few fights were awesome though.[/QUOTE]

What you're now suggesting is that Silva is fixing his own fights, lol. Well that's MUCH better! Haha, let's just keep defending the guy. No matter what his reason was for prolonging the fight, it was unnecessary. That's the key issue. Also, this is the 3rd time he's done this. At some point, you have to say enough is enough.

As for strongpimphand's continued ramblings of not having a fucking clue what he's talking about, OF COURSE we would have loved to have seen Silva knock him out in 20 seconds! This isn't pro boxing where people are paying to see one decent fight and feel ripped off when it ends early. The UFC puts at least 5 fights on every card, almost all of which are top notch. Hell, there were TWO belts being defended on this card alone.

When Silva knocked out Forest Griffin in the 1st round, it reminded everybody of just how dominant he is. Nobody was mad at him for that fight. People LOVE watching Fedor Emelianenko just smash his opponents one after another (27 straight wins and counting). The difference is, he does it with class, and he rarely lets it go to a decision. The more you comment, the more you show that you don't understand mixed martial arts at all. Just stop talking, and go back to something you know.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']When Silva knocked out Forest Griffin in the 1st round, it reminded everybody of just how dominant he is. Nobody was mad at him for that fight.[/QUOTE]

Nope, everyone was too busy being pissed at Griffin for running out like a little bitch. Has he even shown his face since then?

[quote name='Scorch']Nope, everyone was too busy being pissed at Griffin for running out like a little bitch. Has he even shown his face since then?[/QUOTE]

He fought Tito and won.

I had Munoz, Edgar, Hughes, and Silva all correct. Edgar really does seem to have an "answer" for everyone. When Penn's corner ordered him to take it to the ground, I knew he wouldn't. The big problem with Penn's camp is that he's the only good fighter in his camp. He doesn't have any real reason to listen to anyone or take advice from his corner.

Silva/Maia was a pretty crushing disappointment as a Maia fan. He was far too gunshy after his first KO loss ever from Marquardt. This was definitely not the time to accept the Silva fight. He should have fought a couple more times to get the KO out of his mind first. Gunshy Maia vs. Apathy Silva (who later turned into tired Silva) is not a recipe for a great fight.

The worst part is Maia will never get another chance at the strap after this because he left this sort of impression on people.

I don't think BJ Penn was 100% for the fight. I am surprise nobody is asking if he was injure or not. I don't see how he could have lost, he looked like he won at least three rounds.

[quote name='blueweltall']I don't think BJ Penn was 100% for the fight. I am surprise nobody is asking if he was injure or not. I don't see how he could have lost, he looked like he won at least three rounds.[/QUOTE]

My opinion is he just took Edgar lightly. After seeing how he looked against Florian and Sanchez, I thought the "bad BJ" was gone for good. I suppose he could have been hurt, but I think it's more likely that he just didn't train hard enough.

BJ slipped back into his old habits again for this fight. He gassed way to early, which clearly showed he didn't train like he has been. The fight was very close though, so I think Dana will make an immediate rematch, and BJ will stop Edgar then.

[quote name='Pavel6969']BJ slipped back into his old habits again for this fight. He gassed way to early, which clearly showed he didn't train like he has been. The fight was very close though, so I think Dana will make an immediate rematch, and BJ will stop Edgar then.[/QUOTE]

No way. I don't want to see an immediate rematch. Finally, one of the "immovable belts" in the UFC changed hands and you want to give it right back? Let Edgar defend against Florian or somebody, and have BJ destroy another "top contender", then let him fight the winner. Giving an immediate rematch just makes it look like this fight didn't matter at all.

Problem is, the belt is going to be back on Penn relatively quickly anyways. Say they do Florian vs Edgar, which is an easy win for Florian, and Penn vs Maynard, easy win for Penn.

Then we get Florian/Penn again, Penn is champ again.

I would prefer to see Penn vs Edgar immediately because I don't see Edgar keeping the belt for long, and would like to see them rematch.

I am not one for rematches normally, but when it is a very very close title fight, a rematch should happen right away. They are doing it with Machida vs. Shogun immediately. And they should have with Griffin vs. Rampage.

[quote name='Pavel6969']Problem is, the belt is going to be back on Penn relatively quickly anyways. Say they do Florian vs Edgar, which is an easy win for Florian, and Penn vs Maynard, easy win for Penn.

Then we get Florian/Penn again, Penn is champ again.

I would prefer to see Penn vs Edgar immediately because I don't see Edgar keeping the belt for long, and would like to see them rematch.

I am not one for rematches normally, but when it is a very very close title fight, a rematch should happen right away. They are doing it with Machida vs. Shogun immediately. And they should have with Griffin vs. Rampage.[/QUOTE]

No, I totally get what you're saying, and there's easily enough reason to do it like that. I guess I'm just hoping for a little variety and spice to the division. I mean, think about it. In the scenario I proposed (and you explored), we'd likely have 3 LW champions in the span of one year, which sets up all kind of "payback" scenarios down the road.

I agree the belt is most likely going back to Penn anyway, but I just feel like there's a chance here to make it a little more exciting than "Ok, BJ. You barely lost. Here's a rematch. Now kill him." It's really a preference thing though, and I can't say that BJ doesn't deserve an immediate rematch. But with 3 (maybe 4) of the 5 belts in the UFC seemingly untouchable, it was nice to see some "competition" for once. Also, I'm a little biased because I'm a Florian fan and would LOVE to see him fight Edgar in August when the UFC does its first show in Boston. Dana has to see the dollar signs there.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I'm a Florian fan and would LOVE to see him fight Edgar in August when the UFC does its first show in Boston. Dana has to see the dollar signs there.[/QUOTE]

thats what should happen. though i dont think florian easily beats edgar. that sets up a potential year end title fight involving bj.

The question now is are they going to set up a Florian-Maynard fight (Since Maynard called Florian out leading up to the Gomi fight) to see who fights Edgar or are they going to try to make two title fights out of it? From a marketing perspective it may be more profitable to set up two PPV "belt" events instead of having Maynard and Florian trash each other for top contender status.

[quote name='JoshTX']The question now is are they going to set up a Florian-Maynard fight (Since Maynard called Florian out leading up to the Gomi fight) to see who fights Edgar or are they going to try to make two title fights out of it? From a marketing perspective it may be more profitable to set up two PPV "belt" events instead of having Maynard and Florian trash each other for top contender status.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it just depends how much the UFC wants to temporarily push BJ aside. Personally, I think Edgar, Florian, and Maynard could have a good triangle for a couple great fights. But then what do you do with BJ? Get inside his head and tell him to go after GSP again? lol

But having Florian fight for the belt in his hometown would mean huge sales (hell, it's pretty close to Edgar's home too. They'd both have a lot of supporters there). Yeah, he fought BJ for the title recently, but Penn losing the title changes everything. I wouldn't have given him a shot at Penn again so soon, but he's really still the top contender, and even if the belt makes its way back to Penn eventually, the UFC should cash in while they have the opportunity.

i think maynard has a chance at nabbing a 3 rounder from bj.

i like florian/edgar maynard/bj as upcoming fights.
if the ufc doesn't want to give maynard a shot at BJ then give it to Tyson Griffin whose only losses are to Sherk and Edgar.

[quote name='zewone']Blocked at my work.[/QUOTE]
I don't know what that guy was talking about, it doesn't say why Tito is out.

I'm guessing we have to watch the show.

UFC 112 thoughts:

Hughes with the leg kicks at least it was no lay and pray.

Munoz vs Grove was a great fight and nice comeback by Munoz.

Edgar really did what he had to do to beat Penn I'm impressed (still think BJ should have went for more takedowns). BJ did seem to take Edgar lightly I see a rematch soon. Silva seems very bored he really needs a challenge. The running around was bullshit he should have just finished the fight in the second round. I hope Shogun beats Machida so Silva moves up to LHW (if that happens it will be one Brazilian Silva better not take lightly). Either that or we finally get to see GSP vs Silva.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back