MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='paz9x']its the judging awarding "points" for securing a takedown regardless of what happens on the ground.
a fighter could be landing decently on the feet being cautious but scoring and lose a round by a single takedown with nothing done as a result of the takedown. its just annoying that takedowns are weighed so heavily. it allows fighters with no finishing skills to win fights by taking someone down. I know the counter arguement is TDD and i dont disagree, i just wish they wouldnt score takedowns so heavily on their own.[/QUOTE]

Ehh..that's a tough call because I do think takedowns are at least worth points. I think the problem lies in Fighter A getting a takedown, and a point, and then Fighter B is held on the ground for 2 minutes and doesn't have the opportunity to score points of his own. That's why you get so many rounds where all the judges have to go on is "Ok, Fighter A got one takedown...both fighters threw a few weak strikes, but no real damage was done...and there was a little scrambling, but no reversals. So, I guess Fighter A wins the round."

At least if they were stood up, Fighter B could work harder to get that point back. That would also be where TDD comes into play. If after a stand up Fighter B still can't stop the takedown, then he didn't prepare enough for the fight and has no business winning. That's my take on it anyway. Judging is never easy, but all they have to go on is what is allowed in the cage, and who is perceived to have been the dominant fighter. To me, the referees are making wrestlers look dominant by allowing them to lay on people for 2-3 minutes.

The full UFC Undisputed 2010 roster has been announced:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/27/1448006/ufc-undisputed-2010-full-roster#storyjump

There are a few big ommissions from this list that I was surprised to see - No Wanderlei Silva, Lil Nog, Paul Daley, or George Sotiropolous. It looks like they didn't have enough time to really update the heavyweight division much either - there's no Ben Rothwell, Gilbert Yvel, or Paul Buentello, yet they are still carrying Eddie Sanchez and Justin Mc Cully.

[quote name='JoshTX']The full UFC Undisputed 2010 roster has been announced:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/27/1448006/ufc-undisputed-2010-full-roster#storyjump

There are a few big ommissions from this list that I was surprised to see - No Wanderlei Silva, Lil Nog, Paul Daley, or George Sotiropolous. It looks like they didn't have enough time to really update the heavyweight division much either - there's no Ben Rothwell, Gilbert Yvel, or Paul Buentello, yet they are still carrying Eddie Sanchez and Justin Mc Cully.[/QUOTE]
Wand has to be in there. There's no way that they left him out after being in last year.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']Wand has to be in there. There's no way that they left him out after being in last year.[/QUOTE]

I hope he's in there and the list is just wrong. I have a feeling he is and they just ommitted him somehow. I know there are alot of people out there who want to play out their own Silva vs. Bisping fight. :cool:

[quote name='JoshTX']I hope he's in there and the list is just wrong. I have a feeling he is and they just ommitted him somehow. I know there are alot of people out there who want to play out their own Silva vs. Bisping fight. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Oh yeahhhhhh :cool:
I just hope they streamlined the ground game, 09's was unbearable.
I really wish EA hadn't been douchebags so they could've implemented the Total Punch Control from the Fight Night series. But eh, waddaya gunnado?

I strolled through Gamestop and saw a big poster they had up featuring the 4 exclusive characters from TUF - Nelson, Mc Sweeney, Jones, and Schaub. It's kind of funny that Kimbo is a permanent character in every copy of the game, but to get Roy Nelson, the guy who won TUF, you have to do a pre-order. Hopefully the 4 TUF characters become a free download for everyone after a couple months.

[quote name='DT778']They should have put in Matt Mitrione instead of Jones.[/QUOTE]

Bite your tongue. Who doesn't like "The Darkness"???

Nah, I get what you're saying, but Meathead annoys the shit out of me.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Demo just came out yesterday for anybody who signs up for the UFC Undisputed Community. Full game releases on May 25th.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of something else obviously since I posted the details on the demo a couple days ago lol.

Well that ruins my good time on finding out which Forrest would show up against Little Nog: Perfect Gameplan Forrest or Crying in the Face of Adversity Forrest.

Too bad about Forrest, saves himself another loss though. He hasn't looked good in awhile (since the Rampage fight really, and that was a damn close fight).

[quote name='Maklershed']Consensus No. 1 heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko's bout with Fabricio Werdum has been officially set.

After months of uncertainty, Strikeforce and M-1 Global today confirmed that their marquee fighter will return to action against Werdum on June 26 in the promotion's hometown of San Jose. The card will air live on Showtime.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...urn-date-finally-set-june-26-against-werdum/1[/QUOTE]

Fedor by Zulu

Did anyone see the new Ultimate Fighter tonight? It just happened to be on so I decided to watch. Man, the takedown overpointage was in full effect and pissed me right the fuck off. Liddell's man clearly won, but because Tito's fighter got the takedown the fight went to him. Not only did Chuck's guy out-strike, he was out'n'out blocking over half the shit that was getting thrown at him. Oh, AND his ground defense was impressive. He was the better fighter by far, but that fucking over-emphasis on takedowns reared it's ugly head once again... Someone in the biz has got to address this shit, it's maddening and absurd.

[quote name='TheCapn010']Did anyone see the new Ultimate Fighter tonight? It just happened to be on so I decided to watch. Man, the takedown overpointage was in full effect and pissed me right the fuck off. Liddell's man clearly won, but because Tito's fighter got the takedown the fight went to him. Not only did Chuck's guy out-strike, he was out'n'out blocking over half the shit that was getting thrown at him. Oh, AND his ground defense was impressive. He was the better fighter by far, but that fucking over-emphasis on takedowns reared it's ugly head once again... Someone in the biz has got to address this shit, it's maddening and absurd. [/QUOTE]

eh, i agree with some of that, i thought mcgee won the 2nd round, the first round i thought ring won the each had a takedown, but ring looked good defensively off his back and mcgee didnt do anything at all from the top. ring looked better on top later in the round and i think ending the round in top position was big for him.
i like both those guys, i thought mcgee looked really slow and lacked any power because of it. it shouldve gone a 3rd round.

I agree that it should have gone to a third round. I had them each winning one round. The old "never leave it up to the judges" thing is getting old too. I'm just tired of hearing it every time there's a lopsided decision, and in the UFC, there's been quite a few of those lately. I wish there was a more specific method to how the judges decided things.

Doesn't it seem that at least one judge is going to make a bad decision everytime nowadays? The string of bad judging is getting out of hand. I think it is time to revamp the scoring system and bring in a batch of new judges.

Anyone catch Bellator last night? Im still shocked with disbelief that Pat Curran pulled the upset over Roger Huerta. He deserved the win, I'm just surprised he was able to push the fight like that and keep Huerta that contained.

Rua by split (I see another close one that can go either way).
Koscheck by LnP
Stout by UD
Slice by D
Belcher by D
Lawler by ko
The Darkness
Hendricks
Hague
Yoshida
Salter

My picks on UFC.com are:

Machida - unanimous decision
Koscheck - unanimous decision
Stout - TKO
Mitrione - knock out
Kote - majority decision

The more I hear Kimbo speak about his fortune and dedication to becoming a mixed-martial arts fighter, the more I like the man. He may have started as a 'bum' fighter, but he takes seriously his training, and is very humble. I hope he amounts to something in the UFC. If he does, his story would be quite a tale. :)

Regarding tonight's fights, as Dana mentioned, Cote-Belcher should be quite fun. I predict it gets the Fight of the Night honors. The winner of Daley-Koscheck gets a shot at St-Pierre and will coach against St-Pierre in the next season of The Ultimate Fighter.

I fucking despise Koscheck. But, I think Koscheck-GSP would be much more competitive fight than Daley-GSP. Koscheck has good wrestling and Daley has poor takedown defense.

That said, GSP-Shields is what I want to see. Shields is probably one of the last true contenders to GSP's Welterweight title. (GSP would still win, by the way. Shields has a tough chin, good striking, and good jiu-jitsu--but GSP has great striking, better jiu-jitsu, and a lot more power.)

My picks:

Rua by Split decision
Belcher by TKO
Koscheck by Unanimous decision
Stout by TKO
Slice by Unanimous decision

[quote name='JoshTX']Anyone catch Bellator last night? Im still shocked with disbelief that Pat Curran pulled the upset over Roger Huerta. He deserved the win, I'm just surprised he was able to push the fight like that and keep Huerta that contained.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't surprised. I won $625 on that fight:cool:

[quote name='Maklershed']Dayumn. That reminds me .. did anyone in here bet on Frankie Edgar to beat Penn? If so, how much did you win?[/QUOTE]
I didn't. I almost threw $50 on him, but decided against it.

Wow, impressive fight from Belcher! Hilarious that Cote's corner is bitching about being "spiked" on his head. If Belcher wanted to spike him, he would have stayed leaning back. You could tell he purposely leaned forward to drop him straight down. That's what Cote gets for hanging onto that damn single for so long and trying to stall the fight. I wonder what went through his head when he felt his feet being lifted off the mat, haha.

Damn. I've actually grown to like Kimbo as a person (though I don't like the ignorant "fans" who think he's the marquee name in the sport), but I give him maybe 2 more fights in the UFC. Unless Dana just wants to ride his name into the ground and give him cupcakes to knock out, Kimbo just isn't going to do anything. I won't even say it's because he has no skill or desire to learn, because you can tell he's trying. He's just too old and has too much muscle on that frame to have any endurance at all at this point in his life. I'll say it one more time. It's a shame he didn't get discovered 10 years ago because I really think he could have had potential.

So disappointed by kimbo. I was a big fan of his backyard fights and was hoping he'd be good in MMA, but its just not working for him. He just gets way too tired way too quick and once he gets tired he just rolls over and takes punches to the face till its over. He needs to drop a weight class and see if he can do anything there, because he has no chance in this weight class.

[quote name='Cracka']So disappointed by kimbo. I was a big fan of his backyard fights and was hoping he'd be good in MMA, but its just not working for him. He just gets way too tired way too quick and once he gets tired he just rolls over and takes punches to the face till its over. He needs to drop a weight class and see if he can do anything there, because he has no chance in this weight class.[/QUOTE]

The only way that's working is if he somehow loses muscle mass. Even when he cut to 215, he was ridiculously ripped. Those big muscles really don't do a whole lot of good in the fight game. After the first 2 minutes, they were just weighing his punches down. Honestly, Kimbo would probably stand a better chance going into acting at this point. His name is still a hot topic, and he's proven to have a decent personality. He probably would have been a better choice for B.A. Baracus than Rampage Jackson.

fuckING PIECE OF SHIT JOSH KOSCHECK!!! Faking another illegal shot! He's the biggest dirtbag in the sport. No question. I really don't want to see him as a coach on TUF. I guess I'd love to see GSP beat the shit out of him, but I don't want to listen to his yappy ass mouth all season. What a fucking loser.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']fuckING PIECE OF SHIT JOSH KOSCHECK!!! Faking another illegal shot! He's the biggest dirtbag in the sport. No question. I really don't want to see him as a coach on TUF. I guess I'd love to see GSP beat the shit out of him, but I don't want to listen to his yappy ass mouth all season. What a fucking loser.[/QUOTE]

hahah i dont even know what to say, and im a koscheck apologist.

Ah, classless move by Daley at the end of that fight as well. But I can't blame him for being frustrated with the acting job by Kos and then the lay & pray to win the fight. But sadly, the truth is, if he doesn't like it, he's gotta learn better takedown defense and a better ground strategy. Instead of trying to get up and constantly giving up his back, I would have just clamped on to Koscheck and got Miragliotta to stand the fight up. It was pretty obvious he wanted to. But when you just give Koscheck easy sub attempts, what can you expect? It sounded like Rogan wasn't really impressed with Koscheck's "skills" either, pointing out the obvious submissions he was missing.

May 8, 2010: The day I became a fan of Josh Koscheck. He is my new hero.

What Paul Daley did was absolutely pathetic. I'm glad Koscheck won. Daley would have gotten slaughtered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back