MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha UFC Unleashed was on earlier and they showed Lesnar vs. Mir II. They cut out Lesnar flipping the middle fingers to the audience and his awesome post fight interview. The trash talk to Mir was shown visually but Lesnar's voice was muted. All of that is what made the match memorable. It also made Lesnar even more dislikable.

That 8 minute teaser of TUF 10 was such a... tease. "fuck him." "Yeah, fuck him!" Oh man I'd be shocked if Kimbo tears through everyone on that show.

This card is looking good especially if Penn vs Sanchez is happening on the same night.

[quote name='Sherdog']
Florian-Guida Scheduled for UFC 107

Wednesday, September 09, 2009
by Sherdog.com Staff

A featured lightweight bout between Kenny Florian and Clay Guida has been moved to UFC 107 on Dec. 12 at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn.
ESPN’s "MMA Live" reported the re-scheduling on its Twitter account Wednesday. Florian also confirmed the new date to Sherdog.com via text.

The bout, originally slated to take place at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas, has big shoes to fill: A light heavyweight matchup between Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans was called off Saturday after Jackson withdrew due to other commitments.

Jackson, who will star with Evans as rival coaches on Spike TV’s “The Ultimate Fighter 10” for the next 12 weeks, is currently filming a lead role in the remake of “The A-Team.” Evans told Sherdog.com Tuesday that the bout will be rescheduled in early 2010.

Florian was submitted by lightweight champion B.J. Penn in the fourth round of their championship bout at UFC 101 on Aug. 8. The 33-year-old host of ESPN “MMA Live” had won his last six bouts prior to that.

Guida, 27, lost a controversial split decision to Diego Sanchez at “The Ultimate Fighter 9” Finale in June. The Chicago-based wrestler is 5-4 in the Octagon.[/quote]

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']http://mmamania.com/2009/09/11/boxing-bigot-bob-arum-mma-is-for-skinheads-and-homosexuals/

If that does not get your blood boiling, IDK what will.[/QUOTE]

Wow, and Joe Rogan had JUST sat near him on the plane to UFC 100. Joe posted some pictures on Twitter and was talking about how Arum was berating his wife and calling her an idiot. Maybe this is Arum's way of striking back? Either way, it's a good thing he said this AFTER they shared a plane together. Can't wait to hear what Rogan has to say about it. He never holds his tongue on the MMA vs Boxing issue.

HAHA only a homosexual skinhead watches mma eh? First of all, a homosexual skinhead is most likely non-existant. Second, I am a minority and I do happen to liike boxing and mma. I cheer for Paquaio and Machida.

Oh hell there's no use in correcting that guy. He's aware that mma is gaining more and more fans while boxing is losing them so he has to talk shit about the sport. I'm really interested in UFC 103's buys vs Mayweather/Marquez's buys.

[quote name='BoB Arum']The guys who throw punches can’t throw a punch to save their ass, when the punches land, the guys have no chins.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see a boxer fight an MMA fighter.

UFC fighters look like skinheads? :rofl:

I don't want to have to be the one to break that news to Lyoto Machida, Big Nog, Little Nog, Anderson Silva, Rampage, Rashad, Thiago Silva, etc.

[quote name='Maklershed']I would love to see a boxer fight an MMA fighter.[/QUOTE]

someone missed the sylvia fight.

he got knocked bout by the boxer in like 39 seconds.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']someone missed the sylvia fight.

he got knocked bout by the boxer in like 39 seconds.[/QUOTE]
He said an MMA fighter, not Tim Sylvia.

Finally there is a main event for UFC 105, Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera.

Not much of a fight I don't think, but it does put Randy on freetv. Ru or has it Rashad turned down the fight first, so Vera got it. Light heavyweight too.

While contracts are not signed, at this moment the planned main event for UFC 105, on November 14th in Manchester, is Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera. Both sides have agreed to the fight, which is a first after numerous different possible matches were talked about for this show. The Telegraph and Gareth Davies in the UK broke the story earlier today, and we've since had it confirmed. This came after the plan of two days ago for Dan Henderson vs. Nate Marquardt fell through.
-F4Wonline.com

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I'm planning to go to my first UFC PPV in December, UFC 107. I really wish Jackson vs Evans didn't get pushed to a later date.[/QUOTE]

It will still be a stacked event, it sucks though I wanted to see that fight too. it will happen next year.

UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn vs. Diego Sanchez
265 lbs.: Frank Mir (12-4) vs. Cheick Kongo (14-5-1)*
155 lbs.: Kenny “Ken Flo” Florian (11-4) vs. Clay “The Carpenter” Guida (25-10)*
185 lbs.: Wilson Gouveia (12-6) vs. Alan Belcher (14-6)*

Just popping into this thread to give props and good luck to Jon Jones the next time he fights. I went to high school with him, had gym class with him when i was a sophmore and he was a senior. He's a scary good athlete, and in fact they're whole family is athletic, his two brothers are on the defensive line for Syracuse. He could definitely be a big name in UFC in the future, so good luck to him : )

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I'm planning to go to my first UFC PPV in December, UFC 107. I really wish Jackson vs Evans didn't get pushed to a later date.[/QUOTE]

How/when do you get tix for this?

[quote name='specialk']How/when do you get tix for this?[/QUOTE]

More than likely I'll have to get them through ticketmaster once they go on sale. If that fails, I'll have to get them through eBay. As seen said, they haven't gone on sale yet and a date hasn't been announced.

If Kimbo actually beats 3 guys and makes it to the finale, I'll eat crow. If these guys get caught up in the hype and actually trade with him, they're stupid. He shouldn't be difficult to take down at all, and unless he's the quickest learner in the history of MMA, a disciplined fighter should be able to take him out. Unless they pull some crap like in TUF1, where you can skate by without having a fight until the semi-finals, I expect Kimbo to win maybe one fight, and then be sent packing.

He generally sucks at fighting.

I would love to see that he improved his MMA training and got serious about the sport because a Kimbo Slice vs. Lesnar fight would probably destroy the current UFC 100 PPV record.

Who wouldn't pay to see that?

I think mma peeps just think that he has no chance against anyone with decent mma skills and has no business getting so much attention in this sport for being a glorified street fighter.

He generally sucks at fighting.

I would love to see that he improved his MMA training and got serious about the sport because a Kimbo Slice vs. Lesnar fight would probably destroy the current UFC 100 PPV record.

Who wouldn't pay to see that?

[quote name='Maklershed']I've only seen him in the youtube videos and what not but why the general hatred for Kimbo?[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't hate Kimbo. He's just not a trained fighter. One of the big reasons he might be disliked is not even his fault. He was taken "off the streets" and thrust into the spotlight by a shitty MMA organization that had no interest in selling a credible product. He was put on primetime network TV and given headliner status with hardly any experience.

Because of all this hype, the less knowledgable fans started calling him a "great fighter" or even "the best MMA fighter". It was just all too much, too fast, too soon. And once he got thrown in with a decent opponent he got his ticket punched in 16 seconds. Like I said, most of that is not his fault in any way, and I give him credit for making a name for himself the only way he knew how.

But the guy is 35 years old, and is nothing more than dude who hits hard. It's highly unlikely that he's going to (or even has a desire to) learn the intricacies of MMA before he gets too old to make an impact anyway. If we were talking about a 25 year old Kimbo Slice, I'd say he could do some damage. At 35, he's got a puncher's chance, and that's about it.

I can't believe this! Now I know why Josh Koscheck looks so familiar to me. He used to hang out in my room in college! I went to Bloomsburg and my roommate was on a scholarship as a state champion wrestler and a bunch of wrestler dudes would hang out in our room and he was one of them. He used to wrestle for Edinboro and was friends w/ my roommate and another wrestler dude that was a mutual friend of ours.

I hadn't seen all of Kimbo's street fights on youtube, but wow straight up street-fighting. He's got one thing on the other guys, some bare-knuckle brawling, potential for serious harm experience. I don't think he will get far on TUF, but hoping he proves me wrong.

[quote name='tehweezner']I hadn't seen all of Kimbo's street fights on youtube, but wow straight up street-fighting. He's got one thing on the other guys, some bare-knuckle brawling, potential for serious harm experience. I don't think he will get far on TUF, but hoping he proves me wrong.[/QUOTE]

If you think Kimbo is the only MMA fighter to ever get in a street fight, you're sadly mistaken. The rest of them just don't tape it and put it on Youtube. Also, a lot of the guys he fought were sloppy, and had no endurance. Kimbo has raw power. But to be successful, he needs to learn real skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back