MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Machida looked more depressed than Shogun at the post fight conference. He knew he lost. Either way though both fighters did a poor job. Shogun's strategy seemed reliant on a decision victory. Lyoto's strategy for this fight didn't work because Shogun is just as quick as him, and his strikes didn't hurt Shogun at all.

Shogun won 1,2,4, and 5. And even round 3 was close. If Forrest Griffin could squeak out a victory over Rampage in their title match, there is no reason why Shogun shouldn't have won this match. The constant bad scoring is getting out of hand, they need to come up with a better system, or some better judges.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Man... UFC -_-. Today was my birthday and my girlfriend took me to Hooters (once a year I am OK to look at other chicks, woohoo). So we drove 30 so miles and when we finally got there, I had no idea tonight was the UFC championships event. So, in LA with all the douche (LA) UFC fans and had to WAIT until the game was over around 2 hours after arriving there. So we finally got to eat around 10:30 at night...

Seem like a sweet fight any other day of the week though.[/QUOTE]

Haha, sorry. But this has gotta be one of the most womanly posts I've ever read. I would laugh at my wife if she said anything like this.

[quote name='DT778']Get new cornermen that will push you to finish a close fight.[/QUOTE]

Worst advice ever. The fight really wasn't THAT close. When you're going into the 5th round and already feel like you've decisively won 3 rounds, the LAST thing you need to do is be fighting overly aggressive and get yourself KTFO. Shogun's approach to that round was fine. Machida was the one to question. How the hell he got the decision with the way he fought that 5th round, I'll never know.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']*starts to wonder if the UFC is fixed beyond it's convenient booking tales I read*[/QUOTE]

Yes, just like the MLB and NBA are fixed because of their bad umpiring, right? There's no way this is a possibility. When Dana went over to Shogun at the end of the fight, I can almost guarantee you he told him he got robbed. He's not afraid to agree with a decision, and as Goldberg and Rogan were talking about, Shogun winning the title would have opened the door for Anderson Silva to make a run at 205. But I COULD see the judges being reluctant to give Machida his first loss that way. It's not really fair, but in their eyes, Shogun might have needed to finish him to earn a victory.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']UFC is rigged.[/QUOTE]

You really have nothing better to do than go around trying to get rises out of people, do you?

The UFC should just cough up the money and get compustrike(owned by HBO) to score the fights, currently HDNet has the exclusive deal with them.

well atleast its obvious shogun isnt done. despite the apparent robbery (i havent seen it yet, fucking streaming kicked my ass) his cardio issues seem to be resolved and im confident if he doesnt get the immediate rematch with machida he will decimate whomever he fights.
glad to have the real shogun back.

I will just echo what everyone else has said, Shogun got screwed royally. I scored it 49-46 for Rua giving Machida Round 3. But even though this decision was bullshit something good came out of it, one of the very best fighters in the world appears to be all the way back, or at least very close to it. A great Shogun is fantastic for the UFC, when healthy he is one of the best in the world.

I really wish I knew what the fuck fight you guys were watching in regards to the Cain/Rothwell fight. Cain is a manbeast, seriously he has like 5 pro fights and he looks like that? Rothwell is no joke, he is incredibly tough (see his fight with Arlovski in Affliction), he can take some big shots and keep coming. Cain was BLASTING him, those weren't weak shots, he was throwing bombs. The stoppage was a little premature but the outcome wasn't affected. Cain has a long ways to go to be champion but he has more raw potential than anyone in the Heavyweight division now, including Lesnar.

[quote name='cgarb84']I really wish I knew what the fuck fight you guys were watching in regards to the Cain/Rothwell fight. Cain is a manbeast, seriously he has like 5 pro fights and he looks like that? Rothwell is no joke, he is incredibly tough (see his fight with Arlovski in Affliction), he can take some big shots and keep coming. Cain was BLASTING him, those weren't weak shots, he was throwing bombs. The stoppage was a little premature but the outcome wasn't affected. Cain has a long ways to go to be champion but he has more raw potential than anyone in the Heavyweight division now, including Lesnar.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree that Cain was dominating Rothwell. But where did you see any damage from all those punches. As Goldberg stated, Velasquez hit Kongo 250 times in the head and there was barely a mark on him. Essentially the same thing happened with Rothwell. Many of the punches also looked incredibly slow. My point was just that a lot of other fighters in the HW division would leave a hole in their opponent's face if they hit him as many times as Velasquez did to Kongo/Rothwell. Just out of curiosity, what is it about Cain's punches that constitutes calling them "bombs"? The fact that they were big and looping? If anything, I think Rothwell was just worn out from being tossed all over the cage.

I have no problems with the "early" stoppage because the reason to call it early just proves my point that Cain's punches do nothing. The fight would have gone the distance if they were waiting for Rothwell to be rocked by anything. I just think Velasquez gives the appearance that he's "devastating" his opponent because he stays so active. I agree that he has potential, but against a Carwin or Lesnar who also have good wrestling, I doubt he's able to be so dominant, and he sure as hell won't hurt them.

had to WAIT until the game was over
[quote name='Scorch']what.[/QUOTE]

Oh godam. Drank a lot last night and the hooters girl kept saying, "the game is about to end" and everyone would laugh. But, she kept calling it that... so it got stuck in my head, so I would call it that as a joke throughout the night.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Oh godam. Drank a lot last night and the hooters girl kept saying, "the game is about to end" and everyone would laugh. But, she kept calling it that... so it got stuck in my head, so I would call it that as a joke throughout the night.[/QUOTE]

Whew...thank God. I knew no man could talk like that. Unless by "girlfriend", you meant boyfriend. And by "Hooters" you meant Chippendales. :D Don't those Hooters girls know they're not supposed to talk though? That just ruins the illusion, lol.

Just watched it. About the Machida/Shogun fight: I love Machida and definitely was rooting for him but even I have to admit a decision in his favor was absolute bullshit. Maybe I don't understand the MMA scoring system yet or something but to me it looked like Shogun landed far more kicks than Machida did punches/kicks combined. I'm not sure if there was even a round I would've scored in Machida's favor let alone the majority of them.

[quote name='Scorch']On a side note..

UFC 105 will be free on Spike TV. That's pretty awesome. [/quote]

That's gonna be a good weekend between a free UFC event and the first weekend after the release of MW2.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']UFC is rigged.[/QUOTE]

I know you do nothing but troll and I wouldn't be surprised to find you're an alt of someone that has been banned but I have to admit that after an insanely awful, head scratching decision for that Shogun/Machida fight, there may be a bit of truth to this statement. Not rigged as in the fighters are pulling punches or the fights are choreographed but rigged as how things are called.

[quote name='tehweezner']Pretty disappointed by Machida's performance, especially the last rounds. He knew he was losing yet didn't press Shogun at all. Guh.[/QUOTE]

that whole match seemed of to me. ive seen a number of his fights and ive never seen him go at it like that. granted the guy he was fighting was no slouch so obviously he was going to play it safer than usual but i can see why someone would feel ufc could be fixed.

what would work best for them having machida crush the guy or having them go the distance with him keeping his belt but many people feeling shogun was robbed and deserves a rematch? i hope im wrong and i could be but i was definelty surprised by how that match went.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']That was the worst decision I've seen since Bisping-Hammil. Shogun was robbed, pure and simple.[/QUOTE]

This pretty much sums things up here. Before this event, Bisping-Hammill was the worst decision I could remember seeing. I honestly have absolutely no idea how the judges can be so consistently terrible. Terrible decisions are becoming way too common. The Belcher-Akiyama fight from a few months ago comes to mind.

In my mind Shogun won rounds 1,2,4, and 5 clearly. I gave Machida round 3 and do not understand how anyone could think he won more than one round. This is easily the worst decision I have ever seen now and it is so awful that Shogun is not currently the Light Heavyweight champion.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DT778']Well that sucks. Although unofficial, Carwin stated that it's been moved to 108 on January 2nd.[/QUOTE]

that makes the most sense. thats their big card anyhow.

Another "cursed" card for the UFC. They seem to have one or two of these a year when they have to scramble to change fights around due to injury. So far both Main events have been changed (or postponed) due to Coleman and now Lesnar being out. I am glad they are still going with Carwin vs Lesnar as soon as they can and not sticking Carwin with someone else.

Overall, a good night of fights(Cain keeps looking better every time he fights). Johnson is a monster at WW! Surprised to see Stevenson actually win without too much lay and pray.

I'm still not sure how Machida won 3 rounds out of five though. Rua needed to press the action and take the belt, not wait for the judges to hand it over. As brutal as that guy throws, it says a lot about how much he repects Machida's counters for Rua to not go hard after Machida... even after he'd blasted Machida's legs and greatly hampered Machida's movement.

I think if he pressed the action late in the 4th or throughout the 5th, he'd have the strap. He left it ambiguous, so the judges gave it to the safe pick.

Shogun finally showed UFC fans what Pride FC fans already know(he is a bad man).

Definitely warrants a rematch!

Rua deffintly won that, no clue how the judges can just hand the belt back to Lyoto when he lost, maybe they all toasted his victory with his piss afterwards since Lyoto is into that kind of thing.

So much Lyoto hate after Saturday night. I've watched the match so many times and it was so close to the point where they need to call the match a draw. People are acting like it's a landslide victory for Shogun.

I think a lot of the "omg shogun got robbed" opinions come from the fact that Rogan was swinging from his nuts the entire bout. There was no mention every time Machida put a fist to Shogun's dome but Shogun lands a leg kick and it's like Machida is just about done. Ridiculous.

The first 3 rounds had no decisive victor. You had Machida swinging for the dome and Shogun taking the safe route of body/legs. It was a pretty cruddy way of fighting for both guys that obviously didn't pay off for either of them.

In other news I've been to Metamora, IL. You've got to get out of there garb.

actaully rewatching the match with the commentary off, there were multiple times that machida connects that were never really talked about.

either way, commentary serves as a massive influence on the viewer's POV

if Shogun really wanted to win, he should have taken it. Dont expect to be given it

Shogun did more damage, Shogun was more aggressive, Shogun landed more strikes ----> Shogun won the fight.

And to Kaze: you live in Washington what in the blue hell were you ever doing in Metamora? And it's a nice town overall for only having 3,000 people in it. I mean it's my home c'mon \\:D/

The damage to Machida wasn't apparent until rounds 4 and 5. From rounds 1-3 Machida and Shogun exchanged blows that didn't adversely affect one another too much. Shogun does win the damage game because he looked good all 5 rounds while Lyoto got tired by round 4.

Aggression and Machida don't go together. As a counter-striker, he's going to be less aggressive than his opponent. Machida still seized opportunities to strike when Shogun was open but hesitated more than he has his last 2 fights. I wouldn't rule aggression as an advantage for Shogun in this fight.

Shogun did land a lot more strikes thanks to his smart strategy of chopping down Machida's legs. These leg kicks didn't bother Machida until rounds 4 and 5. I'm not saying Shogun only threw leg kicks but they were the great majority of his offense.

I would've judged rounds 2 and 3 Machida, 1 a draw if it wasn't a 10 point must scoring system, 4 and 5 Shogun.

[quote name='seen']Here are the compustrike stats if anyone was curious. I completely agree with what someone else mentioned about Rogan being extremely bias on who he wanted to win.[/QUOTE]

agreed... when you watch MMA, the commentator plays such a massive influnce on the viewer's opinion... that was definitely not a Dominating performance by Shogan.

If Shogan wanted to become the Light Heavy weight Champ, he needs to take it from Machida like how Machida took it straight from Rasheed Evans... no questions asked

I heard a radio interview on Sherdog or the TUF website with Mike Goldberg. In part of it he talks about how some of the guys are his friends (also that he trains with them) and the hardest thing for him is when his two friends fight.

With all due respect to MMA commentators that is some of the most ridiculous garbage I have ever heard. Some of the boxing guys who call it on HBO do put their foot in their mouths sometimes but never are as bias as saying that they are friends with fighters.

I'm sorry. Even looking at the Compustrike stats, I STILL have to give the decision to Shogun. The first 3 rounds were close, but in almost every round (with the exception of kicks in the 3rd round), Shogun landed more strikes and landed a higher percentage of strikes. Having a category for "power punches" is a joke because that's completely subjective.

Then look at the last two rounds. Machida did NOTHING in those rounds. Hardly throwing any strikes at all, and only landing about 35%. He was fighting like he already had the fight in the bag. That's just ridiculous. Yeah, I guess Shogun should have been more aggressive, but unless we're just going to make a new rule that says you have to knockout/tapout the champion to take the belt, it's not fair to say he didn't win that fight. Even the numbers show that Shogun completely controlled that fight.

As for seen's comments about Goldberg and Rogan, the thing you have to understand is that the UFC is practically like a traveling circus. Aside from the referees and judges, everybody else works and travels with the company from city to city. It's a strange concept to think about but yeah, you end up with Joe Rogan hanging out with Randy Couture. Bruce Buffer hanging out with Tito Ortiz. The octagon girls hanging out with Mike Goldberg! They're co-workers and they're friends. I don't think it takes away any professionalism though.

Shogun was getting attention because he was the more aggressive one. I also think he was getting attention because his strategy was throwing Machida off, and it was kind of surprising. In the first several rounds, it seemed like every time Machida went in for a strike, Shogun was already coming at him and hit him first. I think Rogan was just impressed by it. I know I was. That's a side of Shogun that has been absent for quite some time. And it was worth talking about.

Yeah I had already saw the numbers from the fight, it only strengthened my resolve for who I think won that fight. Shogun landed more strikes (39 isn't a small number either), was more aggressive and did more damage. The commentary argument isn't valid when you just look at the damn numbers.

cgarb - originally i'm from P-Town (REPRESENT) i just moved out here, and it is awesome. get out of the midwest asap!

anyway compustrike is nice and all but when shogun is forced to roll against the cage with his hands up because he's stunned, he is not winning the fight. i am disappointed machida did not attempt to finish shogun in those occasions when he managed to connect cleanly. he definitely gave shogun too much respect and we all got a crappy fight out of it.

in the rematch expect someone to go down hard.

in other news Dream 12 was a beautiful event. the presentation vids made me get goosebumps they were so awesome. i can't wait for NYE.

After watching the fight again I would say the forst three rounds could have went either way(Machida) and the last two were all shogun

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Well that rematch won't happen soon. Machida has a medical suspension for 2 months.[/QUOTE]

Well, I doubt it would have been that soon anyway. And a lot of fighters receive medical suspensions after fights. Although with the damage Machida took, anybody suspect a broken rib?

If Shogun had his knees redone, he must have stainless steel in his knee joints... that must be painful as hell getting rammed by steel rods into your side and legs

I think that's all just an act or at most he's just a bit unstable/bad temper. If he was really crazy he wouldn't admit to being crazy. definitely not saying that he talked to his wife in his head, he'd think that he actually spoke to his wife.

Was I watching the same fight as Dana tonight? Both guys were pretty tired and out of it by the middle of the first round. It seemed like they could barely lift their arms.

Yeah, had it not been a TUF fight Dana wouldn't have been so gung ho about. Both guys gassed really quick. Sure, they both threw some heavy shots, but by the middle of the first round they looked like rag dolls in there. Of course, I understand that Dana isn't going to say that the fight sucked. The cardio on a lot of these guys is incredibly bad.

1f9r11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back