MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
If/when Cerrone beats Siver, he should be another two fights or so away from a shot I agree. Bendo will likely get it first after demolishing Boceck and Miller and now will beat up Guida as well. Melendez/Edgar would happen probably immediately though if Gil made the move over to the UFC. At worst, he fights the number 1 contender (say Bendo) and beats him and then gets his shot soon after.

Bendo has just looked unbelievable in his last couple fights. He seems so much bigger than everyone and just seems to dominate them. The fight with Clay should be interesting and all I know is the UFC had better make sure that Fox gets that onto the televised portion of the card.

Its disappointing hitting the one card that seemed like if you were going to buy only one ppv this remaining year, that this would be it.On the bright side it makes Diaz vs. Penn get the respect it should more being moved to the main event.As the co-main event underneath GSP and Condit it just didn't feel like Diaz vs. Penn had as much hype as it should be.Still pretty good main card minus Brad Tarves vs. whoever.

By now everyones already seen it five times, but worth a watch for a 6th time.Just too awesome
http://youtu.be/lmD_8wFFTUU

Last edited by a moderator:
That video with Barry and Cro-Cop was epic!! CC is scheduled to fight Roy Nelson in the future and I hope that CC can pull it off, but with the beating JDS gave Nelson without knocking him out idk if CC can do it.

Not the most exciting UFC lately, but damn...Cro Cop AND BJ Penn calling it quits on the same night? I've never been a huge Penn fan, but I hate the Diaz gang with a passion, and it was sad to see BJ completely demoralized in the cage like that. Hearing him say "I don't want to go home looking like this..." was awful.

And of course, the whole time, Diaz has to act like the prison thug that he surely would have been had life not been kind enough to give him a career where he gets paid millions to punch people in the face. I can't wait to see GSP put him on his back because he's not going to just stand there and get picked apart the way Penn did.

The only other fight that really impressed me was Cerrone just smashing Siver and swarming on him for the tapout. Roy Nelson lost weight and beat a "one foot in the community center" Cro Cop. Big deal. I still don't think he could even beat Frank Mir...let alone Cain or JDS. The Kongo - Mitrione fight was a snoozer until the 3rd round when Kongo finally realized he didn't need to respect Mitrione when he could just put him on his back and beat him senseless.

I was sad to see BJ lose, he is one of my favorite fighters of all time. I think if he decides to not retire he needs to go back to lw, he gives up too much weight at 170.

BJ is a legend, and he truly deserves our respect...his time is gone, so sad seeing him loose like that.And regarding to Diaz, he is a good fighter and all, but a fight with GSP, hmm....not so sure he can beat GSP.

i've never really felt bj was all that great since he basically just uses natural toughness and heavy hands to stun people so he can land an easy sub. i'm pretty sure this isn't event the first time he's "retired" in the ring and then goes back to the locker room and suddenly changes his mind. :\

crocop just hasn't been the same since 2006 when he put on the best performance of his lifetime. at least he's getting hella paid i suppose, but he should just go back to being congress/swat/whatever he is back in croatia.

roy nelson has tremendous power when he has someone's back...those punches were sick. he needs to work harder in the gym on wrestling so he can get this position more often.

i don't understand how diaz just makes people look so bad when he fights them. he is a real lesson in the damage accumulation of body punches can cause. i don't really like his chances vs. gsp because of the wrestling and speed difference. gsp be might be goaded into fighting diaz on the feet though, but i won't hold my breath.

bartimus looked pretty great tonight and it's good to see him where he belongs.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i've never really felt bj was all that great since he basically just uses natural toughness and heavy hands to stun people so he can land an easy sub. i'm pretty sure this isn't event the first time he's "retired" in the ring and then goes back to the locker room and suddenly changes his mind. :\

I agree, even though he is one of my favorite fighters I almost label him under the same thing as Randy Moss, so much talent and what would he be if he tried his hardest in training.......

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i'm pretty sure this isn't event the first time he's "retired" in the ring and then goes back to the locker room and suddenly changes his mind. :\[/QUOTE]

I've never understood why so many people give weight to these moments in the first place. A guy gets punched in the face 100+ times, and loses, he's obviously not going to be in the best mindset for making career choices.

BJ will fight again, hopefully back at LW.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Not the most exciting UFC lately, but damn...Cro Cop AND BJ Penn calling it quits on the same night? I've never been a huge Penn fan, but I hate the Diaz gang with a passion, and it was sad to see BJ completely demoralized in the cage like that. Hearing him say "I don't want to go home looking like this..." was awful.

And of course, the whole time, Diaz has to act like the prison thug that he surely would have been had life not been kind enough to give him a career where he gets paid millions to punch people in the face. I can't wait to see GSP put him on his back because he's not going to just stand there and get picked apart the way Penn did.

The only other fight that really impressed me was Cerrone just smashing Siver and swarming on him for the tapout. Roy Nelson lost weight and beat a "one foot in the community center" Cro Cop. Big deal. I still don't think he could even beat Frank Mir...let alone Cain or JDS. The Kongo - Mitrione fight was a snoozer until the 3rd round when Kongo finally realized he didn't need to respect Mitrione when he could just put him on his back and beat him senseless.[/QUOTE]

"gets paid millions"...huh? :rofl:

Anyways, Diaz looked pretty normal (good, but iffy defense) but Cerrone really impressed me. I knew he was coming along great but his striking is making such huge strides that its almost unbeliveable.

As for Nelson, I think he would easily beat up Mir if he wasn't all sickly the first time. Could never beat a Velasquez or Dos Santos, but Nelson could get a fight like Kongo or the like sometime because Nelson is fun to watch and wins by KO all the time.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i've never really felt bj was all that great since he basically just uses natural toughness and heavy hands to stun people so he can land an easy sub. i'm pretty sure this isn't event the first time he's "retired" in the ring and then goes back to the locker room and suddenly changes his mind. :\ [/QUOTE]

I actually agree with this, for being a possible Hall of Famer and a legend in the sport, Penn has always been shy of big win streaks or dominating rows of elite level guys. He has always had weaknesses for fighting off his back and early in his career struggled in some striking matches too. Guy is 16-8, if he was as great as a Henderson or Fedor or Silva, he would have the record to show it.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I actually agree with this, for being a possible Hall of Famer and a legend in the sport, Penn has always been shy of big win streaks or dominating rows of elite level guys. He has always had weaknesses for fighting off his back and early in his career struggled in some striking matches too. Guy is 16-8, if he was as great as a Henderson or Fedor or Silva, he would have the record to show it.[/QUOTE]

why do professional fighters sing his praises? guys who fight for a living continually say how great he is. i dont disagree with your point on win streaks or dominating top level guys. records dont show it all. there are plenty of guys that enter the ufc with impressive records and get buzzsawed.

He was pretty great for what he was.HOFer for sure.Its similar to the Randy Couture situation.His record may not be the best, but he was fighting top guys for the most part.To some extent,like the guys mentioned above although Pride had just as many top guys,there was more mismatches like Wandy crushing japanese can of the month or w/e.All three guys you mentioned though HOFers for sure too.Hopefully if BJ does change his mind he'll drop back down to Lightweight where he belongs since going up in weight to fight whoever (Machida,GSP etc) hasn't been so kind to him but yeah his days as top dog are sadly gone.

Edit : Just noticed the post there ^ lol.I'd say it was because of how good BJ was.Tons of potential although thanks to not taking training as serious as he should be sometime didn't live up to it until his 2nd lightweight run.He was pretty great, just so dominant when he was on,great hands and one of the guys to really implement the jab really well.Although people don't normally talk about his wrestling it was great as well and was able to overpower a lot of guys bigger then he was.So far I would say "Greatest Lightweight of All Time" for now.Maybe Frankie Edgar will pass him there someday.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']"gets paid millions"...huh? :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Diaz vs Penn - $200,000
Diaz vs Daley - $175,000
Diaz vs Santos - $150,000

That's $525,000 over his past 3 fights alone (all in 2011). I wasn't talking per fight dude. Cumulative. For a guy who makes that much money, you wouldn't think he'd be such a huge piece of white trash. Most guys recognize that it's a sport. He walks around like he wants to stab somebody.

Thats only the reported pay too though.Theres off the side bonuses and ppv percentages for some fighters and they never get reported and that sort of thing along with big sponsorship money depending on who you are and sometimes if you're lucky something like a Fight of the Night bonus.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Thats only the reported pay too though.Theres off the side bonuses and ppv percentages for some fighters and they never get reported and that sort of thing along with big sponsorship money depending on who you are and sometimes if you're lucky something like a Fight of the Night bonus.[/QUOTE]

Sponsorship money is also no joke. Some of those fighters get millions just for wearing a specific brand. Although I honestly doubt Diaz is making millions, he's making some money.

I love BJ Penn, one of my favorite fighters of all time. It was sad how devastated he was after that loss. I don't think he is going to retire though, I think he was speaking due to the heat of the moment. His message on his website says

“I want to thank all the fans for their love and support. I have decided to take some time off to enjoy life, train and teach. I will keep you guys posted with what’s next.”

-BJ Penn

Good to see him taking some time off. BJ is a warrior and it is definitely well deserved. I'm hoping he will come back better than ever. Also they released the official UFC 141: Lesnar Vs. Overeem Poster. Man I can't wait for this fight!

Scaled_php.jpg

Heres a surprise.Anthony Johnson is moving to middleweight, at least for one fight and it'll be against Vitor Belfort.Johnson is big enough to fight there but before it was just talks since missing weight at times.It'll be interesting to see how he does.I think sadly we'll probably be seeing Johnson trying to do what he did to Dan Hardy.

I don't think Diaz is making millions, but I would be surprised if he didn't make over a million this year or close to it.

Rumble vs Vitor interests me, idk what will happen but I will cross my fingers that they will stand and bang. If they do somebody is getting put to sleep.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Diaz vs Penn - $200,000
Diaz vs Daley - $175,000
Diaz vs Santos - $150,000

That's $525,000 over his past 3 fights alone (all in 2011). I wasn't talking per fight dude. Cumulative. For a guy who makes that much money, you wouldn't think he'd be such a huge piece of white trash. Most guys recognize that it's a sport. He walks around like he wants to stab somebody.[/QUOTE]

Its not like Diaz is a millionaire, that is clearly not true. He gets paid well, but he SHOULD be getting paid a TON more considering his level. MMA fighters are woefully underpaid, but that's another post for another day.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Heres a surprise.Anthony Johnson is moving to middleweight, at least for one fight and it'll be against Vitor Belfort.Johnson is big enough to fight there but before it was just talks since missing weight at times.It'll be interesting to see how he does.I think sadly we'll probably be seeing Johnson trying to do what he did to Dan Hardy.

I don't think Diaz is making millions, but I would be surprised if he didn't make over a million this year or close to it.[/QUOTE]

Belfort will get KO'd hard if Johnson can clip him, but I suppose the same can be said about Johnson because I don't 100% trust his chin for some reason. Vitor is the much, much better fighter, but will be smaller and Johnson could have who knows how much better cardio due to not having to cut another 15 pounds.

Its possible but I don't think Johnson will be willing to stand with Vitor for too long without shooting in.With a guy like Dan Hardy he wouldn't deliver a stand up fight so with a guy with the hands that Vitor has I think he'll try to take it to the ground if possible.Interested in seeing how he does at middleweight,one would think he'll have a bigger gas tank like you mentioned and who knows probably even a little more explosive which is a little crazy to think of, maybe a move to middleweight might be better for him then cutting so much weight.Hes a huge guy, balloons up to 230 sometimes when not fighting.

[quote name='Metal Militia']

Scaled_php.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Diverticulitis vs Banned Substances: Which will scrap this match?

Honestly, I hope it happens because my excitement for this is like hyping up for a Pride freak show battle except with actual fighting skill sprinkled in there.

Overeem doesn't fail drug tests these days and Lesnar should be able to fight, even if he is a bit weakened. It takes a lot to not be cleared to fight in MMA.

Still unsure of how Brock will be,ever since his first bout of diverticulitis hes been around 70% and with a guy like him, most of what made him so good was his freakish strength being able to power his way into things.Hes had surgery to help the problem finally but from what I heard its one of those things he won't ever be at what he was even with the surgery.Hes got the wrestling to pull it off and the cardio,but I'm a bit split on this.If it ends in the first round I'd go with Alistair, leaning towards Lesnar if it went to a decision or ended in rounds 3-5 and probably round 2 as well.Right now probably leaning towards Overeem a bit.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Still unsure of how Brock will be,ever since his first bout of diverticulitis hes been around 70% and with a guy like him, most of what made him so good was his freakish strength being able to power his way into things.Hes had surgery to help the problem finally but from what I heard its one of those things he won't ever be at what he was even with the surgery.Hes got the wrestling to pull it off and the cardio,but I'm a bit split on this.If it ends in the first round I'd go with Alistair, leaning towards Lesnar if it went to a decision or ended in rounds 3-5 and probably round 2 as well.Right now probably leaning towards Overeem a bit.[/QUOTE]

I'll say this, Overeem has a much better odds to win then just via 1st Round KO. Lesnar has good cardio but Overeem could easily win in the second round. Third...well, I think they'll both be looking dead tired at that point assuming somehow it went that long.

i didn't see people talk about it but the last dream was pretty great...i did notice the production value was definitely scaled back. the ufc just has nothing on the japanese guys when it comes to giving a fightfan goosebumps.

I think he means more on like a showman ship level and how its presented as more "honorable" in a way,but not completely sure.Yeah they started cutting production values on Dream for a while now trying to keep cost down to try and save it from dying.It was nice to have it but gotta do what they can to keep it from going under I suppose,seems uncertain if they'll even continue but hopefully they do.Still sad to see Saku keep losing bouts.

The U.K. card wasn't too shabby, some pretty decent fights. Leben is a warrior and I think Dana lets him stay even if he loses a bunch in a row just because of his heart and exciting fighting style. Munoz seems like he might be a legit contender, also, if Sonnen could throw GnP like Munoz does he would be champ right now. On another note I am excited about Cain vs. JDS, it is almost here!

Velasquez Vs. Dos Santos for the UFC Heavyweight Title is tonight free on Fox!!!!!!!!!!

UFOX1_600X250_JPG.jpg

This fight is going to be awesome. Its hard for me to pick a winner because both these guys are two of my favorite fighters, but I'm leaning towards Velasquez. I wonder if Cain is confident in his striking to engage on the feet with JDS or is he goin to want to take JDS to the ground? I'm thinking he is going to use his wrestling, but JDS has shown some pretty good TDD especially in the fight against Roy Nelson. I just hope we see a great fight regardless of the outcome.

I'm also really excited to see Ben Henderson Vs. Clay Guida as well. I'm a big fan of Bendo so I'm going to go with him. He really impressed me the way he dismantled Jim Miller for 3 rounds. I used to really like Guida, but it seems to me like all he does is lay and pray now. Also Joe Rogan said at the Weigh-Ins that this fight will determine the number #1 for the UFC Lightweight title.

Anyone heard of http://www.mmaplayground.com/
It's pretty much like a fantasy mma draft where you pick your winners and the way they win. It's all point based and seems kinda neat if you get your buddies in on it. Also provides stats on the fighters so makes it easier for those fighters you never heard of.
I got JDS knocking Cain out in RD2. It's gonna happen.

I'm looking forward to Clay vs Hendo also. The fight of the wild hair. I was really surprised Clay was able to outclass Pettis. I'm going with Clay on this one.

First fight I've been looking forward to in months. I kinda lost interest in MMA because of all the events they were holding each month (UFC specifically, since that's all I ever watched.) But damn, Cain vs JDS is gonna be fucking GREAT. I really love and respect both of these fighters and they are my favorite in the sport.

Two of the smallest heavyweights, plowing through guys like Brock and Shane is incredible. I'm a heavy favorite for Cain but anything can happen. JDS striking is really great, but I think Cain's striking is very good as well. The guy has a fucking gas tank like there's no tomorrow and he pushes the pace every round. I'm super stoked for this fight, and regardless of the outcome I am 100% positive it will be entertaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the Fox show will be fun. Hoping JDS wins since "Brown Pride" is an even worse tattoo than Brock's sword.

I think Brock may be done. Love what he did while he was still fresh but I don't see how you can come back from multiple forced hiatuses because of that disease and still be as strong as you were. Hope he proves me wrong.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yeah the Fox show will be fun. Hoping JDS wins since "Brown Pride" is an even worse tattoo than Brock's sword.

I think Brock may be done. Love what he did while he was still fresh but I don't see how you can come back from multiple forced hiatuses because of that disease and still be as strong as you were. Hope he proves me wrong.[/QUOTE]

well he had the surgery to correct the issue. from what i heard his training was severely effected by the diverticulitis.

Cain (probably ITD), Bendo, Pierce (easy fight for him). I think Kid Yamamoto should stop his guy, but his opponent is a great submission guy so not an easy fight.

[quote name='GUNNM']so a whole hour was wasted for a one minute fight? jeezus[/QUOTE]

Ehh...that's what happens when your fights aren't scripted. I understand why they wanted to spend time introducing the fighters and "teaching" new viewers about the sport, but it wasn't an accurate depiction of a UFC event and probably isn't going to convince people to spend $40 on a PPV. You don't pay $40 for one fight. You don't spend 30 minutes watching interviews. I'm a little worried how this is going to be received by the general public. They probably would have been better off just doing a regular card and trusting in their product to sell itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back