MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Lesnar looks good now. I saw some videos and photos, and he seems to be at prime condition. Unless I read/hear that Overeem is injured, I'd have to pick him to beat Brock. Brock has a good chin, but that means nothing when he starts spinning around and turtling up from strikes. For a guy his size, he crumbles when he gets hit. This is a big test for Overeem too, mind you. He's never faced anyone with Lesnar's size and wrestling. I have Overeem by TKO in R2.

And Cung got PAID. Good lord.

"@MMASupremacy Cung Le and Dan Henderson got PAID! Top UFC 139 Payouts: Cung Le: $350K, Henderson: $250K, Wandy: $200K, Shogun: $165K. #MMA #UFC #SanJose"

I want his agent/PR team.

Yeah I just saw that an hour ago, thats crazy about that can crusher whos been known to handpick fights getting paid that much, especially for his UFC debut.His popularity works well in San Jose but thats classic overachieving right there.Dana must still have a hard on from him beating Frank Shamrock years ago.

Le getting paid that much, especially considering it is vastly more then DAN HENDERSON and WANDERLEI SILVA...come on. Just terrible, the way the UFC payscale works makes no sense.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']
I didn't say you specifically said he was faster, I just said that it was laughable to suggest he was. As far as the mid-level thing goes, if Bowles isn't mid-level then I guess you'd have no problem picking him against Cruz, Benavidez, Faber, etc.

:rofl:[/QUOTE]

did that really make you roll on the floor laughing?

Hes not mid-level. he is in the upper echelon of that division. I didnt pick him to beat faber before the last fight, i certainly wouldnt in another. I wouldnt pick him to beat cruz, though i think he has more of a chance at connecting and stopping cruz than he would faber. I wouldnt pick him to beat benevidez either, but i think hed have the best chance at winning that fight out of those three guys.

So there are 3 bantamweights, because they are better that makes bowles a mid-level fighter? Thats stupid logic. Hes probably at the cusp of top ten, somewhere around jorgensen. hes right outside the elite of that weight, which is a small number of guys.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Le getting paid that much, especially considering it is vastly more then DAN HENDERSON and WANDERLEI SILVA...come on. Just terrible, the way the UFC payscale works makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

It makes pretty simple sense. guys get paid for making the organization money. le sells tickets and ppv's.

[quote name='Magiblaze']

I'm still pretty split on Lesnar vs. Overeem.I go back on it back and fourth but overall I feel if it reaches the 3rd rounds it'll be Lesnar's fight.Hes not having any trouble with getting KOed just turtling up.Its nice to see Lesnar regaining the weight he had before these diverticulitis problems showed up, hes at 278 in one of the last interviews.With what hes got that extra 13-15 pounds of muscle tends to help and the whole not fighting at 70% anymore.Overeem showed a good takedown defense against Werdum but those were Werdums shots and not someone with the wrestling or strength Lesnar has so it'll be interesting.Tough to choose between the two,right now I'm leaning towards the Reem more but its a back and fourth thing.
[/QUOTE]

Ive been a fan of overeems for the last few years. he really irked me with bas' account of the golden glory split. If thats the real way it went down, I think overeem could use an ass kicking.

I think the fight will hinge on overeems use of knees and clinch work. I think hes going to be tentative in the standup, like he was with werdum. Im looking forward to that fight.

That's a good idea. I wonder if Dana has helped. I'll use my other Twitter account and forward the link to Dana's Twitter. *bows*

I read speculation last night and there's more speculation this morning about the UFC on FOX 2 card (which happens on January 28, 2012).

http://mmainterviews.tv/2011/11/22/munoz-vs-sonnen-likely-to-headline-ufc-on-fox-2-on-january-28th/

I don't know whether I'm pissed that Silva is putting off defending his title until June—or as I've been calling it "ducking Chael"—or happy that the mainstream will get to see Sonnen-Munoz for free. If Munoz-Sonnen happens, that's gonna be one heck of a fight. I'd take Sonnen because his wrestling is world-class and his boxing is ridiculously underrated. Munoz does have "Donkey Kong" strength, though, and solid wrestling. It would be one heck of a main event.

Also rumored is Sanchez-Ellenberger and Miller-Guillard.

Sad to hear about Miller's son.Maybe someone like you mentioned like Dana might be nice enough to take care of him, just for the kid to reach 40 it'll be about 5 million dollars,around 10 million if he could make 80 but thats something pretty horrible to have.Just doesn't look like too good of a future sadly.

Hopefully Anderson will take up the fight rather then it ending up as Munoz. I like Munoz but really everyone just wants to see Sonnen and Munoz and Munoz has a serious shot here of beating Sonnen and eliminating him from title contention for a while.

[quote name='paz9x']Ive been a fan of overeems for the last few years. he really irked me with bas' account of the golden glory split. If thats the real way it went down, I think overeem could use an ass kicking.

I think the fight will hinge on overeems use of knees and clinch work. I think hes going to be tentative in the standup, like he was with werdum. Im looking forward to that fight.[/QUOTE]

I used to be an Overeem fan too and was rooting for hinm in the Lesnar fight but now idk. Bas' story made me like Overeem alot less because that is horrible to turn your back on people that have been there for you when you were fighting horribly and loose three in a row and they still have your back and you leave at the first really big payday. I'm not a Brock fan either so I am torn and just hope they work each other over really well. :)

[quote name='Chase']I read speculation last night and there's more speculation this morning about the UFC on FOX 2 card (which happens on January 28, 2012).

http://mmainterviews.tv/2011/11/22/munoz-vs-sonnen-likely-to-headline-ufc-on-fox-2-on-january-28th/

I don't know whether I'm pissed that Silva is putting off defending his title until June—or as I've been calling it "ducking Chael"—or happy that the mainstream will get to see Sonnen-Munoz for free. If Munoz-Sonnen happens, that's gonna be one heck of a fight. I'd take Sonnen because his wrestling is world-class and his boxing is ridiculously underrated. Munoz does have "Donkey Kong" strength, though, and solid wrestling. It would be one heck of a main event.

Also rumored is Sanchez-Ellenberger and Miller-Guillard.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking Silva is messing with Sonnen quite a bit by delaying the fight more and more and not exactly "ducking" him. All the bad mouthing Chael has been doing about Brazil, and about Anderson himself is not working on him at all. If you think about it, Silva's plan is much more sinister. He knows how bad Chael wants this fight and he knows it's getting under his skin by delaying it.

I definitely wanna see the fight happen. Chael is about the only legitimate threat at 185 for him right now. I would definitely like to see Silva vs Jones as well though. Even though Jones lacks the experience, you gotta think his physical attributes would give Anderson some trouble. I'd still lean towards Silva for that fight, but Jones crazy maneuvers have that possibility of landing and ending the fight at the same time.

Apparently Anderson Silva is injured and won't be able to fight until June 2012. As you said, I think Silva is messing with Chael Sonnen. If Silva sustained such a severe injury, how could he mimic Cung Le to help Wanderlei Silva for his fight with Le?

I like the idea of a Jones-Silva superfight, but hasn't Silva already befriended Jones? And we all know about Silva's stance in regards to fighting people within his crew. (One reason why a Munoz-Silva fight could be interesting.)

A lot of MMA news personalities have tossed out speculation, on Twitter, that Rampage-Bader will main event over Munoz-Sonnen.

I really hope that's just speculation. That doesn't even make sense.

Just got around to watching Hendo vs Rua. My God what a fight. And Hendo winning the decision restores my faith in judging and affirms that those guys actually do judge it round by round and don't wait to the end to score it.

Yep, the present system is per round. I definitely agree with the Hendo decision. I probably would have given it to Hendo under Pride scoring, too.

Happy Turkeyday, gents. MMA-wise, I'm thankful that Kim Winslow hasn't been assigned to any recent, important UFC fights, for entertaining underdogs like Nick Diaz and Chael Sonnen, and all things Sherdog (forum, podcasts, their staff). Gotta get back to cooking. Have a good one!

It'll end by Machida backing away from Jones and Jones lunging in with a lightning fast jab to Machidas chin which knocks him to the ground. Jones then pounces on top of Machida and grounds and pounds him to unconsciousness.

i think machida is a very good fighter but i'm not sure he is ready to deal with the craziness of jones.

overeem will likely walk through lesnar.

Unless Machida has changed up his style for this fight I don't think he'll fair well. He likes to back away and point/counter strike. I think Jones will overwhelm and panic him.

I like Jones in the fight.Out of everyone in the light heavyweight division though I think Machida currently probably has possibly the best style against Jones with understanding distance the best in the weight class but even with that and his elusiveness its tougher with Jones's huge reach.I'd probably go with Jones TKO/KO Round 2 or 3.

Jones has too much raw athleticism for Machida's style to handle. The slow, calculating counterstrike thing isn't going to work when someone like Jones decides to flurry. Too much reach, speed, and strength for Machida to counter effectively.

Bahaha... I love that video. The best part is when Rashad and Pa Machida run to Lyoto. Drinking piss, y'all!

I think Jones has enough talent to stop Machida by Round 3. I see a special highlight TKO by Jones. Perhaps a raw elbow to the face (which is a very rare TKO achievement).

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Machida found a way to beat Jones. Lyoto has ridiculous movement, an underrated ground game, and more power than he's credited.

And to steal a line from Joe Rogan, "this guy is my hero!"

http://www.middleeasy.com/index.php...nen-for-the-first-time&catid=34:organizations

It's as a friend said, "Chael makes bitches wet!" Hahaha...

[quote name='Chase']And to steal a line from Joe Rogan, "this guy is my hero!"
[/QUOTE]

I think Joe gets hot and bothered by anyone with a primarily Tae Kwon Do style.

Hahaha... That IS true about Rogan. Guy loves taekwondo and has one HECK of a spinning back kick.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/12/...s-tuf-14-finale-weigh-ins-a-memorable-affair/

At the weigh-ins today, Michael Bisping flipped the double bird and told the fans "fuck you all." Stay classy, Bisping. I hope Jason Miller catches him in a heel hook, shreds all of the ligaments in Bisping's knee, and ends his career. I'd even settle for Miller holding onto a rear naked choke SUB win for an extra 5-500 seconds. I don't just dislike Bisping as a fighter. I hate him as a person. Guy is a total douchebag on-screen and off-camera. Oh, and he missed weight. Ya know, a total sign of disrespect and unprofessionalism.

I hated him but was actually starting to warm to him and then the other day I saw the replay of his fight with Jorge Rivera where he purposely knees Jorge in the head and then when he later KOs him he goes over to Jorge's corner and talks shit. The hate returned.

Damn. Bisping is a dick. It's going to be a hell of fight night tomorrow night. This season of TUF had a lot of great fighters with great potential.
Bisping should have learned some humility after Hendo knocked his ass out.

I very rarely toss around the word "hate" but it's applicable with Bisping. I live in Las Vegas. Outside of my job, one reason why I choose to live in this shithole is because it's a home of the UFC. I know people hate Sonnen. What they see on TV is an act. Yes, he's made a couple mistakes, but who hasn't? I've had a chance to meet Chael Sonnen and Michael Bisping. Chael was really humble and nice, which is what he's like if you watch his interviews. Bisping blew off my "Hey, Michael, you looked good against Akiyama" greeting and said "Get the fuck outta my way." What a gent.

[quote name='Chase']I very rarely toss around the word "hate" but it's applicable with Bisping. I live in Las Vegas. Outside of my job, one reason why I choose to live in this shithole is because it's a home of the UFC. I know people hate Sonnen. What they see on TV is an act. Yes, he's made a couple mistakes, but who hasn't? I've had a chance to meet Chael Sonnen and Michael Bisping. Chael was really humble and nice, which is what he's like if you watch his interviews. Bisping blew off my "Hey, Michael, you looked good against Akiyama" greeting and said "Get the fuck outta my way." What a gent.[/QUOTE]

shouldve told him to eat shit, what a dickhead. I have a feeling were gonna see the bisping from his fight with leben show up.

I LOVED the 139 promo with the "ding lights out" as hes getting wrecked by hendo.

I'm not a Sonnen fan by any means, everybody says he is a great guy in person and I believe that, but going at Brazil as hard as he did seemed to be the final straw I had before all my respect was gone. I could turn around and like him again as I am a quick forgive as long as it looks like the person actually changed. Anyways, I can't stand Bisping ever since the Hammil "win", I was a fan but he was totally disrespectful when in actuallity he should have been humble considering they gave him a gift that night, also the Rivera incident was horrible, there are countless other things that he has done. I don't think Mayhem wins, I'm hoping but I don't think he will. If he does win I hope they give him Anderson, he has been protesting for a fight with him for a while now, and boy would I love to see that fight!! Dana won't do it I don't think though he has coddled Bisbing for quite a while now to keep the english market happy.

The more I see of Bisping the less bad I feel about him taking that extra unprotected fistdrop from Hendo.

Nobody likes Bisping, and his attitude is not an act from everything I've heard about him. Just a D-bad by all accounts.

As for the card, not interested in it for the most part but Miller has a great, great shot to submit Bisping in their FIVE ROUND fight. Lots of time for ol' Mayhem to pull out a sub in what will probably be a "comeback" (Miller losing on the cards). Without the sub though, Bisping wins a sleep-inducing decision I'm sure.

Wow, Miller is making Bisping look amazing...Pretty sad for Miller, his fighting skills are no where near his verbal.

Poor Miller ran out of gas in the first round. Some great fights tonight. I was pulling for Bermudez but Deigo pulled a amazing sub out of nowhere.

Yeah...ugh...not a good showing from Mayhem. I really like him as a person, but I'm so tired of seeing "world class" BJJ guys who can't get their opponent to the mat. His striking is never going to be good enough to stand with even a guy like Bisping...let alone a Silva or a Henderson. He needs to drill wrestling and trips EVERY DAMN DAY in training. I actually thought his head movement was good, as he did duck under some pretty big shots. He just couldn't do anything with the sudden advantage it gave him. He's got a lot of work to do if he hopes to stay in the UFC for very long.

Also, I thought the Dodson stoppage was early. Herb Dean seems to be doing that a lot lately. TJ was rocked from the first punch, for sure. But the thing that put him on his back was more of a shove than anything. Then Dodson does the wild animal routine and we get an "OH MY GOD...HE'S KILLING HIM!!!" reaction. At least give the guy a chance to cover up. Christ! Dodson most likely would have won anyway, but I hate when fights feel tainted like that.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah...ugh...not a good showing from Mayhem. I really like him as a person, but I'm so tired of seeing "world class" BJJ guys who can't get their opponent to the mat. His striking is never going to be good enough to stand with even a guy like Bisping...let alone a Silva or a Henderson. He needs to drill wrestling and trips EVERY DAMN DAY in training. I actually thought his head movement was good, as he did duck under some pretty big shots. He just couldn't do anything with the sudden advantage it gave him. He's got a lot of work to do if he hopes to stay in the UFC for very long.

Also, I thought the Dodson stoppage was early. Herb Dean seems to be doing that a lot lately. TJ was rocked from the first punch, for sure. But the thing that put him on his back was more of a shove than anything. Then Dodson does the wild animal routine and we get an "OH MY GOD...HE'S KILLING HIM!!!" reaction. At least give the guy a chance to cover up. Christ! Dodson most likely would have won anyway, but I hate when fights feel tainted like that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was rough to watch, I didnt think Bisping looked good at all either. The guy trains a lot, I think it was nerves that crushed his cardio. hopefully well see hom soon. A bummer that a lot of newer fans think that was his actual ability or lack of showing. Hes a solid fighter.

I cant stand dodson and will never willingly watch him speak, he just aggrevates me. But wtf was dillashaw doing? hes not faber, trying to dance and drop his hands like that? stupid. I think he really bought into himself and over looked dodson.

the cucuy/yves fight was awesome and bermudez/bradao made the card. enjoyable.

I did most of my venting on Twitter and Facebook, so I'll try to be a bit more levelheaded here.

Prior to gassing, Mayhem looked good in R1. Won it 10-9. Bisping attempting an illegal head kick—after he landed an illegal knee to Jorge Rivera in that fight—shows his character as a person.

And his "I come from working class roots and am a humble person" is lies and garbage. He comes from fucking Polish nobility and has been scum to fans.

Brandao looked impressive, as Bobo said. He may want to limit those wild, looping punches, tho, as a more technical, better fighter will drop him. As N8 said, Dodson looked impressive. He has a lot of power and speed for a guy who, like 155 kingpin Frank Edgar, could fight a weightclass lower.

Mayhem gassing out really made him look like a weak desperate typical BJJ guy in that second/third round...reminded me a bit of Werdum/Overeem II. Don't know why Mayhem gassed that badly, guess he wasn't used to going rounds? But he looked better against Shields then he did tonight.

I also think Ferguson lost, as many other people do. LOL at people saying Tony is such a good striker...he has decent power but that's it. Technique is poor and his head movement is...almost non-existent really.

Hes had cardio troubles before in the past but I didn't think he would gas out quite like this.It was sort of funny though to see him tell Bisping "is that all you got" and then Bisping punches him in his hamburger face some more.Even though Miller was outclassed pretty badly tonight I hope he at least gets one more chance to redeem himself but he doesn't seem like he'll ever be top level in the UFC.

Diego vs. Bermudez was a fun fight,really looked like Bermudez would take it here until that slick quick armbar by Diego.All first round stoppages for Diego in his TUF career so pretty nice.

Ferguson vs. Edwards was another good fight, it was close, surprised by the two 30-27s, but you'd have to give it to Ferguson unquestionable for round 1 and rounds 2 and 3 were still pretty close so figured he'd still be winning.Some nice power in those hands and nice chin, didn't mind taking one to give one at times.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Hes had cardio troubles before in the past but I didn't think he would gas out quite like this.It was sort of funny though to see him tell Bisping "is that all you got" and then Bisping punches him in his hamburger face some more.Even though Miller was outclassed pretty badly tonight I hope he at least gets one more chance to redeem himself but he doesn't seem like he'll ever be top level in the UFC.

Diego vs. Bermudez was a fun fight,really looked like Bermudez would take it here until that slick quick armbar by Diego.All first round stoppages for Diego in his TUF career so pretty nice.

Ferguson vs. Edwards was another good fight, it was close, surprised by the two 30-27s, but you'd have to give it to Ferguson unquestionable for round 1 and rounds 2 and 3 were still pretty close so figured he'd still be winning.Some nice power in those hands and nice chin, didn't mind taking one to give one at times.[/QUOTE]

If Ferguson wasn't being fed unjust decisions or, more commonly, easy match ups, I think he would be getting destroyed in the UFC. I doubt it will take too long for him to step up at all and start heading the Efrain Escudero path. Only problem is that he will probably be getting the benefit of the doubt on the cards in close fights and his chin is solid, so he'll be tough to knock out.

It wasn't that bad of a decision but yeah I agree if he moved up the ladder too far at this point he would be getting beat.For him its better to move him up slowly and keep letting him improve while giving him winnable match ups but something that'll still test him like they do for most of their TUF winners.

Bisping got paid way too much, way too much. Even for being the UK poster boy, still very overpaid (well, not "overpaid", as I feel MMA guys are underpaid severely, but he is getting too much more money then established fighters).

Bisping/Maia for the third fight on UFC on Fox 2, pretty good free card overall. I'm glad that we can finally watch great fights for free on a major network. Btw, the other two fights are Sonnen/Munoz and Davis/Evans.

So how do you guys educate yourself on what goes on during a match?

With football, I spent a little time playing Madden and watched a lot of games, and I ended up getting a good grasp of what's going on during a game. With MMA, I don't know what the hell is going when a fight hits the ground.

My friend's been training jiu-jitsu for a while, so when I watch a fight with him, he sees things coming a mile away, and I find myself saying how the hell did you see that? That the sort of thing that probably only comes with first-hand experience?

Guessing I'd appreciate the sport a lot more than I already do if I knew how to know what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back