MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='paz9x']hes fighting ednaldo oliveira since hes replacing broughton.[/QUOTE]

Don't know the name off the top of my head, a newcomer I believe? If he has power, it will be interesting but otherwise he probably is just a bum being fed to Gonzaga.

Have to say disappointed in the main event, it was an ok fight but felt boring at times, neither guy seemed like they wanted to commit fully,more so on Masvidal's end being the biggest reason for it but when I keep hearing about Gilbert being like the 2nd best lightweight in the world I'm wanting to expect more then a decision win over someone who isn't a top 15 lightweight.Was annoyed a little with Masvidal though,lost every round and didn't really seem to ever go for the KO despite being way behind in the scorecards and even doing some taunting gestures in the first few roundsJust a real lack of urgency on his part.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Don't know the name off the top of my head, a newcomer I believe? If he has power, it will be interesting but otherwise he probably is just a bum being fed to Gonzaga.[/QUOTE]

uFC debut, hes supposed to be good but has spent his career on the brazilian circuit. he was already scheduled to fight broughton but broughton got hurt so they signed gabe and stuck him in broughton's previous slot.

Im interested to see if gabe sticks with his losing formula of tryign to outstrike guys or if he has his head straight and tries to use his grappling. if its the latter, im interested in seeing him more because hes great on the mat.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Have to say disappointed in the main event, it was an ok fight but felt boring at times, neither guy seemed like they wanted to commit fully,more so on Masvidal's end being the biggest reason for it but when I keep hearing about Gilbert being like the 2nd best lightweight in the world I'm wanting to expect more then a decision win over someone who isn't a top 15 lightweight.Was annoyed a little with Masvidal though,lost every round and didn't really seem to ever go for the KO despite being way behind in the scorecards and even doing some taunting gestures in the first few roundsJust a real lack of urgency on his part.[/QUOTE]

Eh, gil is an elite lw and masvidal is a very good lw himself, maybe not top 15 but hes solidly in the top 25 imo. MAsividal is dangerous and i think it showed in how gil fought him.

I dont see anybody else really for gil in SF he needs to fight some top10 guys to really gauge where hes at.

I agree with masvidals performance though, I dont know if his corner wasnt telling him what he needed to hear and he though he was doing what he should be or if he was just happy to go the distance. sorta odd for a guy that presses and can put fights away.

Melendez has not shown much to be to think "this guy is truly one of the best". I can see him being elite, up there with Maynard or so, but I think he is just shy of being able to be classed in the Bendo/Edgar/Jim Miller group. Maybe its the lack of stellar competition? Only time he ever looks great though is when he's fighting top 40 guys like Kawajiri or powerless fighters like Aoki. He needs to go up against a top 10 or so guy that is well rounded, but I suppose they all reside in the UFC.

UFC 141 HD or SD for Free on XBOX LIVE

Ufc 141 free on xbox live dashboard

1.) Download the UFC app on Xbox live Marketplace

2) Click purchase UFC 141 Lesnar vs. Overeem

3) total is $0

4) Confirm purchase and now you have 141 for next week

Saw this on slickdeals, thanks antonio123!

[quote name='blueweltall']UFC 141 HD or SD for Free on XBOX LIVE

2) Click purchase UFC 141 brock lesnar vs whoever the other guy is

3) total is $0

Saw this on slickdeals, thanks antonio123![/QUOTE]

Awesome. I'm going to try it tonight.

[quote name='blueweltall']UFC 141 HD or SD for Free on XBOX LIVE

2) Click purchase UFC 141 brock lesnar vs whoever the other guy is

3) total is $0

Saw this on slickdeals, thanks antonio123![/QUOTE]

Does that carry over to other consoles? I'm getting a new one for Christmas, and was wondering if I ned to keep this current one plugged in, or if it's tied to my Gamertag.

AHHHH how did I miss this? Oh yeah, I was at work :cry:.

Follow UFConXboxLIVE on twitter though b/c they will be handing out more free passes.

If you're going to preorder the game and get it at full price.Might as well do it from gamestop for 4 exclusive DLC fighters.You'll get Nick Diaz, Jason Miller, Phil Davis and Brian Stann.Other retailers have other preorder incentives you can check out here but from gamestop seems to offer the best.http://www.ufcundisputed.com/preorder

Scratching my head at the bolded items ...

The reverse bout order for "DREAM: New Year! 2011" includes:

• Fedor Emelianenko vs. Satoshi Ishii
  • Champ Shinya Aoki vs. Satoru Kitaoka (for lightweight title)
  • Champ Hiroyuki Takaya vs. Takeshi "Lion" Inoue (for featherweight title)
  • Atsushi Sawada and Shinichi Suzukawa vs. Kazushi Sakuraba and Katsuyori Shibata (pro-wrestling match)
  • Peter Aerts vs. Kazuyuki Fujita (pro-wrestling match)
  • Jerome Le Banner vs. Tim Sylvia (pro-wrestling match)
  • Yuichiro Nagashima vs. Katsunori Kikuno (mixed-rules bout)
  • Josh Barnett vs. Hideki Suzuki (pro-wrestling match)
  • Yuta Kubo vs. Nils Widlund (kickboxing match)
  • Masaaki Noiri vs. Kengo Sonoda (kickboxing match)
  • Ryo Chonan vs. Hayato "Mach" Sakurai
  • Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kazuyuki Miyata
  • Karla Benitez vs. Megumi Fujii
  • Rodolfo Marques Diniz vs. Bibiano Fernandes (bantamweight grand-prix semifinal)
  • Antonio Banuelos vs. Masakazu Imanari (bantamweight grand-prix semifinal)
  • Yusup Saadulaev vs. Hideo Tokoro (bantamweight grand-prix reserve match)

Happy to hear that Migel Torres is back into the UFC.

I find the Le Banner and Syliva pro wrestling match up odd. I remember years back with La Banner calling out Syliva,would've been funner as an MMA or kickboxing match.

Yeah Miguel got ripped off big time. First Forrest, then Rashad, and then him and he gets fired. And then a day or two after he gets fired Dana himself makes a rape joke.

[quote name='Maklershed']Jerome Le Banner vs. Tim Sylvia (pro-wrestling match)
[/quote]

So Tim Sylvia is going to hit a ten-minute chinlock?

On a separate note, glad to see Torres is back. Total bullshit all around that he got singled out.

Diaz weighed in at 157 and then made 156 after they gave him an hour. I think Brock is going to smash Overeem, I just haven't seen much that shows me that Alstair has anything to stop brock from taking him down. The people that have had luck with stopping brocks takedowns were all very good wrestlers. I think Brock finishes in the first, maybe second round with GnP from those luchbox sized fists. I am also excited about the Cerrone/Diaz fight, both of them go hard and make good fights. For how much I hate the Diaz brothers attitudes, I love the way they fight.

Tonight is Fight Night!! My predictions in bold

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem
Donald Cerrone vs. Nate Diaz
Jon Fitch vs. Johny Hendricks
Alexander Gustafsson vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
Jim Hettes vs. Nam Phan

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
Junior Assuncao vs. Ross Pearson
Danny Castillo vs. Anthony Njokuani

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
Dong Hyun Kim vs. Sean Pierson
Efrain Escudero vs. Jacob Volkmann
Luis Ramos vs. Matt Riddle
Manny Gamburyan vs. Diego Nunes

Very excited for Lesnar/Reem and Cerrone/Diaz! I too hope Cerrone whoops Diaz all night. I'm really up in the air about Lesnar/Overeem. If I was a betting man I'd go with Overeem by KO, but who knows.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Supposedly they're going to be giving some more free ones the day of the event, so might wanna keep a look out.[/QUOTE]

Damn, they really meant "closer to the event" didn't they? Any time now, guys. I'm starting to worry that they changed their mind.

EDIT - 18 fucking minutes. Their "additional tickets" lasted less than 18 minutes. What did they give out...20 more? Oh well, guess I'm watching it through "other means". Having it in HD was nice while it lasted. I still say I'd be much more inclined to actually purchase the PPVs if you could do it as an XBL party (ala Netflix).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n8rockerasu']Damn, they really meant "closer to the event" didn't they? Any time now, guys. I'm starting to worry that they changed their mind.

EDIT - 18 fucking minutes. Their "additional tickets" lasted less than 18 minutes. What did they give out...20 more? Oh well, guess I'm watching it through "other means". Having it in HD was nice while it lasted. I still say I'd be much more inclined to actually purchase the PPVs if you could do it as an XBL party (ala Netflix).[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't matter if they gave out a million, their app won't load on xbox live. Been buggy all day, but i guess you get what you pay for. And in that case they will receive no money from me in the future via this app.

UFConXboxLIVE UFC on Xbox LIVE

The 5000 free tickets are now sold out. We are working to resolve the current technical issues ASAP.
Bullshit. Nobody on Twitter could connect. I checked the hashtag for UFConXbox and EVERYBODY was complaining. Even people who had already bought the event last week couldn't connect.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']I was able to connect, and I was able to purchase it. I got the email confirmation a little bit ago. The app won't work at the moment, though.[/QUOTE]

Just tonight? When they announced the final batch of 5,000? I tried continuously from when they tweeted about the tickets up until 8:55 PM EST when they announced that they were all gone. Must be your lucky day man!

I love how there's one ad right on the main home page on my 360 advertising getting this PPV for free with NO mention of the whole "free tickets" thing. Very nice deceptive ad there Microsoft and UFC.

[quote name='GUNNM']nam is getting fucked just give up and let diaz fight already[/QUOTE]

This! I want cowboy to kick his rude ass!

Edit: Here we go!

2nd Edit: :'( good fight

Welp. Lesnar still hasn't improved his standing game and is taken out within minutes. Hoping the Dos Santos and Overeem fight ends up better. Least the Diaz and Cowboy fight was pretty good, though Cowboy never took advantage of the times he leg swept Diaz.

EDIT: And I guess Lesnar knows he won't be better and is calling it quits in the UFC. So I guess we should expect to see him at Wrestlemania...

Well, I was def. wrong on thinking Brock was going to wrestlefuck him, kinda surprised he didn't go for more takedowns but getting your guts busted up will do that. Great showing by Overeem, I am excited to watch him fight JDS and see how that plays out.

I wouldn't expect someone who's had numerous abdominal surgeries and has more or less been sick for the last two years to withstand some nasty, nasty body shots like Reem was dishing out.

I picked Hendricks winning, didn't think by KO so quick like that though.Sadly went with Lesnar, he had me going making me believe he was actually back, Lesnar pre disease.Fight wise I think Jr Dos Santos vs. Overeem was a more interesting fight anyway but sad to see Lesnar retire.Was fun to watch and went straight to the top early on in his mma career rather then slowly building himself despite so little experience.

[quote name='Magiblaze']but sad to see Lesnar retire.Was fun to watch and went straight to the top early on in his mma career rather then slowly building himself despite so little experience.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry. You won't have to miss him for too long. You'll just need to change the channel on your TV, and sit through all the soap opera crap that goes along with pretend fighting.

Lesnar was pathetic. He had ONE chance at beating Overeem, and that was driving through him like a freight train. Instead, he goes for a half-assed single leg...a SINGLE LEG! He should have kept his legs churning until Reem's back was either against the cage or on the mat. This half committed bullshit isn't going to cut it. I don't even like Lesnar, but I HATE seeing guys underachieve. If you're a wrestler...fucking WRESTLE! Working the jab was actually a decent strategy early. But when it's time to shoot, you've gotta go all in. It's all you have. Live or die by it.

Instead, he stands infront of Overeem and gets gut busted back into the WWE. If Brock lost anything from his illness and his losses, it was his fearlessness (hell, you could probably even argue that his cocky attitude HELPED him). Ever since Carwin, he's been fighting scared because he knows one tap on the chin and his eggs are scrambled. So much for the "baddest man on the planet".

Also, Cerrone is an idiot for letting trash bag Diaz dictate that entire fight. That's probably the biggest thing all the shit talking does is make you so mad you want to beat them at their own game...and that's just foolish. Cowboy had Diaz on his back so many times, the least he could have done was follow it up with some GnP, kicks to the legs, ANYTHING. It's like his strategy was either KO him with one punch or outpoint him. And neither strategy was going to work with the amount of pressure Diaz was applying. Cerrone needed to slow Diaz down and make him adjust to a different style of fight.

And finally, see ya later Nam Phan (most likely cut) and Matyushenko (retirement probably). Crazy thinking that 3 of the 5 losers from tonight's PPV are probably done in the UFC.

I too would've liked to see him commit more and go for a power double leg, was unfortunate.I think Nam Phan keeps his job for at least one more fight.They loved his fights with Garcia and he just had a win before this so I'd think he would get at least one more shot.

[quote name='Magiblaze']I too would've liked to see him commit more and go for a power double leg, was unfortunate.I think Nam Phan keeps his job for at least one more fight.They loved his fights with Garcia and he just had a win before this so I'd think he would get at least one more shot.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, maybe you're right. He was just SO bad, lol. I seriously could have seen the fight scored 30-24. It was like Hettes could do literally whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. He was tossing Nam around like a ragdoll. If Nam wants to keep his job, he might need to pull a Kenny Florian and figure out how to get down to 135.

Guess I was right when I said Brock was done several pages back. Too bad, but that illness had to have weakened him more than was being let on. It's fucking asinine that he even took this fight, or ANY fight against someone that wasn't a sacrificial lamb. Sad to see him go but between his medical issues and just plain getting older, he probably wasn't going to do much more anyway.

Better to take some time off, get some more ridiculous tattoos, and sit on his money. Or go back to wrestling if he feels like it, but outside of a one-shot Wrestlemania appearance (with a few appearances beforehand to build it up) I doubt he'll want that full time schedule again.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Seriously though, am I the only one who thinks Fitch stoppage was a bit early?[/QUOTE]

I did initially. But if you watch how hard his head hit the mat, it's pretty clear he was out. If he was composed enough to defend, he wouldn't have landed like that. I'm a big Jon Fitch fan, but even I can admit that he got cracked really good.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Seriously though, am I the only one who thinks Fitch stoppage was a bit early?[/QUOTE]

Yes because he was clearly out. At one point his head went limp and laid completely back on the canvas and his hands weren't up defending himself at all. Plus a guy who starts grappling with the ref is not there.

And keep in mind I say this a) having no horse in this race between Fitch and Hendricks and b) I've gone on record multiple times before complaining that refs panic and stop fights too quickly a lot of times (also that they stand too close to the fighters when they're on the ground and some of that involve themselves in the fight too much .. *cough* John McCarthy .. but that's neither here nor there)

[quote name='Maklershed']Yes because he was clearly out. At one point his head went limp and laid completely back on the canvas and his hands weren't up defending himself at all. Plus a guy who starts grappling with the ref is not there.

And keep in mind I say this a) having no horse in this race between Fitch and Hendricks and b) I've gone on record multiple times before complaining that refs panic and stop fights too quickly a lot of times (also that they stand too close to the fighters when they're on the ground and some of that involve themselves in the fight too much .. *cough* John McCarthy .. but that's neither here nor there)[/QUOTE]

I think Herb Dean and John McCarthy are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back