MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my picks in on Sherdog. Not sure about them though. I'm thinking I'd like to switch em up and take Palaszewski and Boetsch for upsets but the travel / jet lag issue has me a bit worried. If this was in the US I'd definitely take them. Also, after Rampage's weigh in, I'm strongly considering switching my pick for him to Bader.

I will be so happy if Benson Henderson beats Edgar tonight! Ever since I saw him first fight against Donald Cerrone at WEC 48 I've been a huge fan of his.

Rumor is that Rampage is injured and that his doctors have said that he should pull out of the fight, but that he doesn't wan't to. This maybe a reason why he missed weight yesterday, but its just a rumor so who knows. Hopefully Rampage pulls this win out!!

This card is ******** stacked and its awesome that we get 7 fights on the Main Card instead of five.

Can't wait for tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Akiyama looked OK to me, better then expected considering he is cutting an extra 15 pounds then usual and isn't exactly a young buck either (mid 30s). I doubt the weight cut will help his stamina though and he could end up gassing out very badly or being even weaker then usual at 170.

I am very interested in the card though. I look forward to all the fights really, I think this could be a great card.

Good point about Sexyama's age. But, take into consideration Shields' rigid diet, having less time to recover than normal, and the plane flight, and I think Shields should have had a harder time cutting weight than Akiyama. This is Akiyama's debut at 170 and he's had ample time to properly handle the cut in Japan. We'll see if his cardio is better or worse. Shields' strength advantage may be a bigger factor than I predicted. We shall see.

I locked-in:

Zhang over Tamura by UD
Mizugaki over Cariaso by UD
Fukuda over Cantwell by UD
Yamamoto over Lee by TKO
Mitsuoka over Gomi by SUB
Lauzon over Pettis by SUB
Hioki over Palaszewski by SUB
Okami over Boetsch by UD
Akiyama over Shields by SD
Kongo over Hunt by UD
Bader over Jackson by SD
Edgar over Henderson by UD

I'm still very tentative about picking Kid Yamamoto. Dude has major back problems and his body is older than his age would suggest. I'm also tentative about picking Lauzon. According to sources, he's been having neck issues—but, Pettis supposedly hurt himself by training too hard. I think Pettis could grind out Lauzon in the last two rounds. I'm always weary about picking Rampage, these days. He held his camp at his new gym with very limited staff. He left Wolfslair and didn't have a chance to put roots into a solid camp. Combine that with his recent injury and ever-lackadaisical attitude towards fighting, and I think Bader could steal a decision. I'm additionally concerned about Hioki getting lamped by Palaszewski. Two things I rarely pick to win: Judokas and Asian fighters.

UFC 144 should be stellar card.

I had a gut feeling that Zhang would wilt. I'm a little pissed at myself about not going with my gut.

And Herb Dean has made some less than stellar calls, as of late.

All right, we better hear Nick Diaz bitching on Twitter about the decision in the Akiyama/Shields fight. No way in HELL was that a 30-27 fight. I'm sure he won't have a problem with it since it was one of his "homies" benefitting from it though.

Wow...well, I guess that shows why Edgar needs to drop to Featherweight. I'd like to see the Compustrike numbers, but my initial reaction is to agree with him. I thought Edgar outstruck him and had more takedowns, and at worst, I didn't think Henderson outperformed him enough to take the belt away. His strikes just did more damage because he's freaking huge.

I guess maybe that's the ultimate factor in "winning a fight" because without time limits, the guy getting banged up is going to be in trouble. But I was still impressed with how Edgar approached that fight, and I'm not really sure he could have done much more. He's just in there against guys who probably outweight him by 25+ pounds by the time the bell rings. I'd love to see him fight Jose Aldo though.

Stats aren't everything, but early Compustrike numbers have Edgar out-landing Bendo 124 to 114. Edgar also had more takedowns with 7, while Bendo had 2. That said, Henderson looked phenomenal tonight.

And the only thing more annoying than Joe Rogan trying to retire guys is him pushing his agenda into the heads of fighters post-fight. He does that way too often. Edgar just lost. At least save that stuff for the postfight presser.

I'd like to see Edgar earn his way back to a title shot. I think Pettis still needs a good win—unless people think a win over Lauzon and a close decision to Stephens is good enough to warrant a title shot.

Really good card.

P.S. I'm glad Pick Em resets when it does its launch in March. Tough last two cards.

Edgar could not have lost that fight, and I don't understand how most fight fans can be suggesting that Henderson dominated the fight and the scoring was completely accurate. Compustrike isn't a great representation of a fight, but you would have to be a fool to think Edgar was outstruck or outwrestled at any point in that fight.

If you outstrike your opponent with relative ease and land many more takedowns then your rival, how do you lose the fight?

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Edgar could not have lost that fight, and I don't understand how most fight fans can be suggesting that Henderson dominated the fight and the scoring was completely accurate. Compustrike isn't a great representation of a fight, but you would have to be a fool to think Edgar was outstruck or outwrestled at any point in that fight.

If you outstrike your opponent with relative ease and land many more takedowns then your rival, how do you lose the fight?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much man, he won fair and square.

edit: a rematch looks liike it will happen, knowing the ufc.

I scored the fight 48-47 Edgar (R1: 10-9 Edgar, R2: 10-9 Bendo, R3: 10-9 Edgar, R4: 10-9 Bendo, R5: 10-9 Edgar). And I one-hundred percent disagree with the two judges who scored the fight 49-46 for Henderson.

Rogan announced that the UFC wants Pettis-Henderson. Definitely marketable with those two fighting for the 55 strap in the last fight in the last WEC show.

[quote name='Chase']Stats aren't everything, but early Compustrike numbers have Edgar out-landing Bendo 124 to 114. Edgar also had more takedowns with 7, while Bendo had 2. That said, Henderson looked phenomenal tonight.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when Goldberg said "I think takedowns are even", I about shit myself. I really feel like this was a fight where Edgar was more effective, but it just didn't show (and honestly...getting caught with the upkick was just a mistake). He probably hates it, but when guys are willing to cut 15+ lbs to be "the bigger man", it pretty much forces you to do the same thing. Really says something for what Frankie was able to do to Penn and Maynard though.

Very solid card overall. I was really impressed and surprised with a lot of the performances/outcomes tonight. I started watching the pre-lims on FX at 7 PM and the main card finished about 12:30. Almost 6 hours of fights O_O Looking forward to the 125lb tournament next week. I'm thinking Benavidez runs that division.

Joe Lauzon had a good tweet last night ...

joelauzon: I'm in Japan for a few more days and was gonna look at buying a sword, but I think I'm gonna invest in a helmet instead

[quote name='Chase']Rogan announced that the UFC wants Pettis-Henderson. Definitely marketable with those two fighting for the 55 strap in the last fight in the last WEC show.[/QUOTE]

I'm not expecting another crazy triangle jump kick moment but it should be competitive. Pretty sure Edgar fights an eliminator/tune-up and gets the winner barring a loss.

I guess I'm alone but I thought Henderson won the fight and fairly convincingly too. He was more agressive (this is debatable but IMO he was more aggressive), did more damage (by a lot), and was the only person who nearly finished the fight twice. I just feel like between this fight and the Diaz/Condit fight something is a little off with how I perceive fights vs how others do. I weigh damage done to an opponent very heavily. Condit beat up Diaz, busted his face up but yet what...that means nothing to most people? Last night after 25 minutes Henderson looks like he just took a shower while Edgar looked like he got beat the F up for 25 minutes. I mean if all that matters is purely numbers then I don't know what the hell is going on.... this isn't baseball. Numbers don't always tell the story. Damage inflicted should be a top priority in judging a fight IMO.

I dig Joe Lauzon. And that quote is pretty funny. He also mentioned on Facebook that he should have blocked the kick. Definitely safe to assume he thought Anthony Pettis threw it to the body. And only someone like Frank Edgar or Mark Hunt has the cranial fortitude to take a knockout shot and continue to fight. Duke Roufus has done good work with Pettis.

Speaking of Pettis, I won't get hyped for some crazy sequel to his off-cage head kick, but I think his improved kickboxing will be a prominent feature in the rematch with Ben Henderson. Pettis looked next-level and super-crisp against Lauzon.

Damage is not a factor in the 10-Point Must System. Whether it should be is a debate in itself. I think Nick Lembo hit it on the head when he said that the 10-Point Must System is fine, and that no matter what system you use to score fights it'll be scrutinized to death. And, in regards to Diaz-Condit, if we were to consider damage, Nick Diaz still would have lost. Diaz did very little damage to Carlos Condit in the fight.

And attention should be given to Yoshihiro Akiyama. Impressive 170 debut. He outpowered Jake Shields, who I thought would have a strength advantage. I had the fight 29-28 Akiyama. I think 30-27 Shields is just crazy. This goes back to the 10-Point Must System. Clean punching, ring generalship, and defense went to Akiyama. Effective aggression is the only area Shields had presence in the first two rounds.

[quote name='cgarb84']I guess I'm alone but I thought Henderson won the fight and fairly convincingly too. He was more agressive (this is debatable but IMO he was more aggressive), did more damage (by a lot), and was the only person who nearly finished the fight twice. I just feel like between this fight and the Diaz/Condit fight something is a little off with how I perceive fights vs how others do. I weigh damage done to an opponent very heavily. Condit beat up Diaz, busted his face up but yet what...that means nothing to most people? Last night after 25 minutes Henderson looks like he just took a shower while Edgar looked like he got beat the F up for 25 minutes. I mean if all that matters is purely numbers then I don't know what the hell is going on.... this isn't baseball. Numbers don't always tell the story. Damage inflicted should be a top priority in judging a fight IMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree (though I think most in here felt Condit deserved to win), but for Edgar/Henderson, it's hard for me to really observe "damage done" without beginning to question if it's even a fair fight in terms of size. Obviously, that's something Edgar has to deal with if he wants to continue to fight at 55. But I'm just not really convinced that Henderson was "better" in that fight. When Edgar landed more strikes and had many more takedowns, you have to question WHY he did less damage...and I really feel like it's just because he was fighting a guy way too big for him.

As I said, I really don't know what Frankie could have done differently (other than not be so aggressive and get caught with the upkick). In terms of a "real fight", I'd definitely say Henderson won, as had it continued, I think he would have put Frankie away eventually. But in terms of a sporting event with time limits and a points system, I don't think it's fair to just look at damage done. If anything, Edgar withstood all that damage and STILL outstruck and outwrestled Henderson.

I was impressed that Edgar was even able to finish the fight with basically one eye and a broken nose. Ultimately, I think he should move down to 45 though. It's just the way the sport works. You have guys who walk around at 215lbs who cut to 185lbs to fight. It's insane! I admire Frankie for fighting at his normal weight, but it's just asking too much to think he can consistently dominate bigger opponents.

[quote name='Chase']And attention should be given to Yoshihiro Akiyama. Impressive 170 debut. He outpowered Jake Shields, who I thought would have a strength advantage. I had the fight 29-28 Akiyama. I think 30-27 Shields is just crazy. This goes back to the 10-Point Must System. Clean punching, ring generalship, and defense went to Akiyama. Effective aggression is the only area Shields had presence in the first two rounds.[/QUOTE]

Agree with this 100%. I don't know how any judge could give the 1st round to Shields when he did NOTHING but have takedowns stuffed and get taken down himself. Jake Shields has to be one of the most one dimensional fighters in MMA. I almost think he's more one dimensional than Kimbo Slice, lol. For a guy who's such a bad ass wrestler, I can't remember the last time he was actually able to power through somebody and take then down. It seems like most of his takedowns come from latching on, dry humping the shit out of someone's leg, and then awkwardly falling to the mat and pulling them down with him.

Honestly, what I felt that the judging in Japan showed is how little they value takedowns. Akiyama had some impressive takedowns and really controlled Shields most of the fight. And then with Edgar, his 7 takedowns must have counted for nothing if two judges thought he only managed to win one round the entire fight. That was at least my take on the questionable scoring.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cgarb84']I guess I'm alone but I thought Henderson won the fight and fairly convincingly too. He was more agressive (this is debatable but IMO he was more aggressive), did more damage (by a lot), and was the only person who nearly finished the fight twice. I just feel like between this fight and the Diaz/Condit fight something is a little off with how I perceive fights vs how others do. I weigh damage done to an opponent very heavily. Condit beat up Diaz, busted his face up but yet what...that means nothing to most people? Last night after 25 minutes Henderson looks like he just took a shower while Edgar looked like he got beat the F up for 25 minutes. I mean if all that matters is purely numbers then I don't know what the hell is going on.... this isn't baseball. Numbers don't always tell the story. Damage inflicted should be a top priority in judging a fight IMO.[/QUOTE]

That is ridiculous, I'm sorry. Damage being done is the primary thing when you judge fights? Do you realize how big of an advantage that gives to fighters with thick skin that don't get cut? Frankie has a weak face that swells and cuts, so I guess he should lose every fight.

Damage means nothing because it is completely visual, nothing more. If I smacked you in the face for 20 minutes and put you on your back 7 times but you landed one kick and cut my nose, you win? Nonsense

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']That is ridiculous, I'm sorry. Damage being done is the primary thing when you judge fights? Do you realize how big of an advantage that gives to fighters with thick skin that don't get cut? Frankie has a weak face that swells and cuts, so I guess he should lose every fight.

Damage means nothing because it is completely visual, nothing more. If I smacked you in the face for 20 minutes and put you on your back 7 times but you landed one kick and cut my nose, you win? Nonsense[/QUOTE]

You're right but the judges are going to be influenced by the fact one guy looks like he's been through a mangle and the other like he's been through a workout at the gym, even if it's sub-consciously.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']
Damage means nothing because it is completely visual, nothing more. [/QUOTE]

Wtf does that mean? EVERYTHING in a fight is visual that statement makes no sense to me. Should throwing 10 jabs with little power to them really count for more than 1 power shot that knocks a guy down or makes his eye swell shut? I know not everybody shows damage the same but if you get tagged repeatedly with power shots to the face you show it eventually.....everyone does. Swelling on the face is different than cuts, some people (Edgar, Marcus Davis, ect) get cut very easily I understand that. But damage inflicted has got to count for something. Otherwise why doesn't the UFC just switch to an amateur boxing like situation where we give everyone gear with sensors and just count clean registered hits, tally up the scores at the end and the highest score wins? The notion that damage means NOTHING is so against everything that FIGHTING stands for. I mean lets not forget that this sport still boils down to two humans squaring off 1-on-1 in a FIGHT. How can damage have no effect on how a FIGHT is scored?

In that fight last night Edgar took down Benson 7 times I think. The problem is with those takedowns he did next to nothing to either damage Benson or try to finish him. Henderson almost finished the fight twice, the guillotine and the upkick were without a doubt the two biggest moments in the fight with one guy opposing his will on the other while almost finishing. How the hell does a +5 in takedowns for Frankie surpass the 2 near finishes that Henderson had?

I just think that Henderson was more aggressive, landed more devastating shots, had the closest submission finish, and avoided damage better than Frankie did (by a lot btw). I just fail to see how this all adds up to an Edgar win.

And the weight cut argument is horseshit too. So what if Henderson cuts like 30 pounds to make weight? He is a cardio MACHINE, if he can make weight every time (like he does) then wtf does that have to do with anything? It's not his responsibility to go up in weight if he can make 155, it's the smaller fighter's responsibility (the guy who literally cuts ZERO weight) to move down. Frankie will be a beast at 145, him and Aldo has FOTY written all over it. If huge guys like Henderson, Jon Jones, Forrest Griffin ect. can make weight then good for them. They shouldn't be penalized in fights for doing more damage because they weigh more than their opponents, that is BS.

[quote name='cgarb84']I just think that Henderson was more aggressive, landed more devastating shots, had the closest submission finish, and avoided damage better than Frankie did (by a lot btw). I just fail to see how this all adds up to an Edgar win.[/QUOTE]

If we're going to call valid points "horseshit", then this has to be the biggest steaming pile. How is "avoiding damage" a skill when you're getting hit more? It just means you're bigger and stronger. Don't forget that Frankie did drop Henderson flat on his ass with one punch too. Henderson SHOWED less damage than Edgar. That's the only claim you can make.

And again, I feel this comes back to size. I agree that damage done should be ONE factor in judging the fight. But as I said, if you're setting up the fight with a points system and time limits, you can't have it both ways. Otherwise, you should say "fight until the KO". If Edgar's only chance of beating a guy like Henderson is bloodying him up and knocking him out, then it's a pointless fight.

[quote name='cgarb84']And the weight cut argument is horseshit too. So what if Henderson cuts like 30 pounds to make weight? He is a cardio MACHINE, if he can make weight every time (like he does) then wtf does that have to do with anything? It's not his responsibility to go up in weight if he can make 155, it's the smaller fighter's responsibility (the guy who literally cuts ZERO weight) to move down. Frankie will be a beast at 145, him and Aldo has FOTY written all over it. If huge guys like Henderson, Jon Jones, Forrest Griffin ect. can make weight then good for them. They shouldn't be penalized in fights for doing more damage because they weigh more than their opponents, that is BS.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how it's penalizing him by not getting caught up in "ooh! look how bloody the other guy is!" If anything, Frankie is being penalized and judged more harshly for being the smaller fighter. I already said that Frankie would be better suited at 45. I just said that it sucks that you basically HAVE to cut (and sometimes cutting one weight class STILL doesn't make you the bigger fighter) in this sport anymore.

It didn't use to be that way. But as soon as somebody thought "hmm...I could get an advantage if I dehydrate myself until my body almost shuts down to make weight, and then come into the fight not even at the weight of the next division up", it...tipped the scales *ba dum ching" Obviously, if everybody agreed to not cut weight, it wouldn't be a problem because everyone would be where they shoudl be. But competition, money, and fame convince people to look for any advantage possible. Just the way it is.

I thought Benderson vs. Edgar was very very close. It was hard to tell how tight the guillotine was and Frankie looked in deep trouble after the upkick. Those have to count for something versus Edgar's higher volume. Edgar is amazing and has performed very well against the best in the world and it was a great fight. It was almost impossible to decide, but I think I would've given the nod Benderson.

For the record I had no problem with the Condit vs. Diaz decision. It has been a little while since I've seen it, but I don't remember Diaz landing much of anything the entire fight.

As for Akiyama vs. Shields. I have no problem with how it decision went down. I don't remember Akiyama landing much the entire fight versus Shields' volume. Akiyama had some a very nice throw and a leg sweep but wasn't able to do a single thing with them. If Akiyama landed right into side control and worked something for a while then that would be a whole different story. Jake was immediately right back up. This is also coming from someone who competed in Judo on my college team for 5 years.

Rampage vs. Bader was disappointing. I like Rampage and don't mind Bader, but Rampage hasn't looked too hot so it was a little disappointing.

Was happy to see Hunt get the win. I wonder who will they will put him up against next.

Very cool to see Tim turn everything around that last round. Especially funny since it Joe and Goldie spent the first 10 min saying how this was the best Okami they have ever seen and he was better than ever.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']If we're going to call valid points "horseshit", then this has to be the biggest steaming pile. How is "avoiding damage" a skill when you're getting hit more?[/QUOTE]

Except that Henderson didn't get hit more.....he outstruck Frankie. You could see it watching it live but if not the fight metrics back it up. Henderson landed more strikes than Edgar, did more damage, came the closest to finishing the fight, and was more aggressive. He won the fight. No injustice was done here, it was the right decision and now we should all move on.

Also for the record I had Condit beating Diaz, I don't think I posted anything in here after that fight. Condit won and Diaz is a bitch, those are my feelings on that fight in a nutshell.

[quote name='cgarb84']Wtf does that mean? EVERYTHING in a fight is visual that statement makes no sense to me. Should throwing 10 jabs with little power to them really count for more than 1 power shot that knocks a guy down or makes his eye swell shut? I know not everybody shows damage the same but if you get tagged repeatedly with power shots to the face you show it eventually.....everyone does. Swelling on the face is different than cuts, some people (Edgar, Marcus Davis, ect) get cut very easily I understand that. But damage inflicted has got to count for something. Otherwise why doesn't the UFC just switch to an amateur boxing like situation where we give everyone gear with sensors and just count clean registered hits, tally up the scores at the end and the highest score wins? The notion that damage means NOTHING is so against everything that FIGHTING stands for. I mean lets not forget that this sport still boils down to two humans squaring off 1-on-1 in a FIGHT. How can damage have no effect on how a FIGHT is scored?

In that fight last night Edgar took down Benson 7 times I think. The problem is with those takedowns he did next to nothing to either damage Benson or try to finish him. Henderson almost finished the fight twice, the guillotine and the upkick were without a doubt the two biggest moments in the fight with one guy opposing his will on the other while almost finishing. How the hell does a +5 in takedowns for Frankie surpass the 2 near finishes that Henderson had?

I just think that Henderson was more aggressive, landed more devastating shots, had the closest submission finish, and avoided damage better than Frankie did (by a lot btw). I just fail to see how this all adds up to an Edgar win.

And the weight cut argument is horseshit too. So what if Henderson cuts like 30 pounds to make weight? He is a cardio MACHINE, if he can make weight every time (like he does) then wtf does that have to do with anything? It's not his responsibility to go up in weight if he can make 155, it's the smaller fighter's responsibility (the guy who literally cuts ZERO weight) to move down. Frankie will be a beast at 145, him and Aldo has FOTY written all over it. If huge guys like Henderson, Jon Jones, Forrest Griffin ect. can make weight then good for them. They shouldn't be penalized in fights for doing more damage because they weigh more than their opponents, that is BS.[/QUOTE]

I think you're drinking some Bendo Kool-aid. Henderson's upkick was nice, but he wasn't close to finishing the fight and the Guillotine was tight, but it wasn't a millisecond away from forcing a tap. I like Ben Henderson, think he's a great fighter and that he put up a great fight but saying he won because he was more aggressive and managed to bust up Frankie's face is foolish.

Bendo wasn't landing hard power shots all night, Frankie's face was all swollen and busted up after one round. After two, he had a cut on his nose that happened to bleed a lot and his face just got more swollen.

I'm sure Edgar's face looks worse today, does that mean the pillow he was laying his head on beat his face in last night? Just touching Frankie's face makes him swell and bruise, whereas Henderson almost never takes facial damage. Then he could go 5 rounds with everyone on earth and win every decision just because he always looks like the fresher guy.

[quote name='cgarb84']Except that Henderson didn't get hit more.....he outstruck Frankie. You could see it watching it live but if not the fight metrics back it up. Henderson landed more strikes than Edgar, did more damage, came the closest to finishing the fight, and was more aggressive. He won the fight. No injustice was done here, it was the right decision and now we should all move on.

Also for the record I had Condit beating Diaz, I don't think I posted anything in here after that fight. Condit won and Diaz is a bitch, those are my feelings on that fight in a nutshell.[/QUOTE]

L...O...L. "He outstruck Frankie". Really? Fightmetics don't make much sense in this fight, as you can clearly see that Edgar landed more strikes on a consistant basis. And I also would like to say that aggression (coming forward) shouldn't be the basis for winning rounds/points. I guess the Diaz brothers have never lost a decision in their life, since they all come forward and get punched in the face.

I can't understand how you have Condit beating Diaz though? You just don't like Diaz or...? Because according to your judging gude, aggression and busting the other guy's face up is the key to victory.

I agree that Ben wrecked Edgar. I had it scored 49-46 (Edgar had the first round).

Frankie "Pillow Hands" Edgar didn't put a scratch on Ben and did little with his take downs. I can't even fathom the argument that Edgar won. When Frankie said he thought he won when he couldn't even open his left eye and the rest of his face look like it went through a meat grinder while Ben looked like he had just finished a light jog, I burst out in laughter.

But, I also had Diaz beating Condit 3-2.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']
I can't understand how you have Condit beating Diaz though? You just don't like Diaz or...? Because according to your judging gude, aggression and busting the other guy's face up is the key to victory.[/QUOTE]

I take aggression into consideration but only when you are actually connecting with strikes and doing damage to your opponent. Condit took very few clean shots from Diaz in that fight. Diaz was moving forward the whole time but not utilizing effective striking. Henderson was, he was constantly tagging Edgar with jabs and hard body kicks, even catching Edgar with a few real nice knees. I don't understand what the fuck is so hard to grasp here. I mean even the majority of people on Sherdog think Henderson won the fight and we all know how much people on Sherdog love to bitch about close decisions and someone being robbed. Apparently this thread has decided to take up the shield for Edgar in this fight...I guess someone has to.

I didn't have a rooting interest in this fight but I can't help the way I saw and scored the fight. It's all opinions in here we know that. I'm just telling you what I saw and why I think Henderson won. I mean the way you guys are talking Edgar dominated Henderson in the standup...I just didn't see it that way at all.

I intend to give another view to Edgar-Henderson. I hold a lot of respect for some people in the MMA press, and a few of them said they scored the fight 48-47 Edgar while watching live, but later scored the fight 49-46 Henderson.

Again, I know it's a hot talking point, but damage is not a factor in the 10-Point Must System. FightMetric's algorithm, on the other hand, takes into consideration the things that matter the most in ending a fight while referencing historial fight data of what stops fights. Also note: FightMetric's analysis is independent from the unified rules. The SRN Rewind has an incredibly informative interview with Rami Genauer, discussing the FightMetric methodology in great detail.

Nate touches on a good point for why some people feel including damage would introduce an unstable element into judging. Fighters like BJ Penn rarely take visible damage—while fighters like Fedor Emelianenko have paper-thin skin. I'm apprehensive about adding damage to judging criteria. Visible damage does not necessarily indicate the effectiveness of strikes. And it's difficult to truly know how much damage a fighter takes from, say, repeated leg kicks until they hobble. I think adding damage creates complications. For example, if we use the FightMetric system, a fighter gets credit for landing illegal groin strikes. If damage is included in a revision to judging criteria, do fighters get credit for landing illegal strikes?

Ideally, Hunt's next opponent is a Fedor rematch and Bendo makes his first defense against Melendez. Unfortunately, both ideas have a zero-percent chance of happening.

According to MiddleEasy, the winner of Korean Zombie-Poirier will fight the winner of Diaz-Miller with the winner becoming Ben Henderson's fight title defense. Interesting idea but somewhat ridiculous.

Neat promo video for the first live season of The Ultimate Fighter.

And I know it's just a hype video and should be treated as such, but if it shows how fighting has evolved, shouldn't the pugilist/boxer be a bit lower on the totem pole? I don't know about everyonne else, but I'd take a wrestler and Thai striker over a boxer any day. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRfDW4h3tGs

Man I did terrible in my picks and I had the main event 48-47 but even so felt Bendo beat Edgar worse then my scorecard would indicate.He looked fresh still even by the end looking like he came out without any scratches.

Overall went something like 5-7. So I suck :(.

I feel like it was Rampage's fight to lose more so then depending on how good Bader did.

Kongo's has been looking fragile ever since he had back surgery.Who would have ever thought 4 years ago when it looked like Mark Hunt was only fighting for paychecks would be starting to be considered one of the top heavyweights today?

[quote name='Chase']

According to MiddleEasy, the winner of Korean Zombie-Poirier will fight the winner of Diaz-Miller with the winner becoming Ben Henderson's fight title defense. Interesting idea but somewhat ridiculous.
[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't listen to them.Whoever created the very likely false rumor probably doesn't even realize those are two different weight classes.Its probably down to Pettis and the winner of Miller/Diaz.Although if Miller wins I'd rather see Pettis get the next title shot.

[quote name='Magiblaze']I wouldn't listen to them.Whoever created the very likely false rumor probably doesn't even realize those are two different weight classes.Its probably down to Pettis and the winner of Miller/Diaz.Although if Miller wins I'd rather see Pettis get the next title shot.[/QUOTE]

lol no shit, im reading thinking "wtf is this, the dudes fight fw"

i had it edgar winning for the record, so did most of the table i was with. we can't hear joe's commentary at all so it's a pretty unbiased estimate. especially considering the guys i was with bet money on bendo. ah well that's what happens at lighter weights when people can't finish as often.

if frankie doesn't get an immediate rematch though that is complete shit. he had to give everyone else their chance.

I went with Bendo, he outlanded Edgar and did a lot more damage with his strikes.Even though I had scored it close it really felt like he put an ass whippin on Edgar.It must suck for Edgar though.To have to do rematches and it take up his last 4 fights then not getting one himself.

I think MiddleEasy meant Poirier-Korean Zombie to be the number one contender for Jose Aldo. Most of those dudes are close with Nick Diaz. And we know Diaz's favorite recreational hobby. ;)

Real talk: I'm hating the "Edgar MUST drop to 145 'cause he lost the title" talk. Joe Rogan needs to quit spewing his agenda in his postfight interviews. I'm not one to generalize—but, anyone asking for Edgar to drop to 145 does not have his best interests in mind.

FX revealed the lightweight cast for The Ultimate Fighter Live.

Akbarh Arreola -- Chula Vista , Calif.
Al Iaquinta -- Wantagh , N.Y.
Ali Maclean -- Belfast , North Ireland
Andy Ogle -- Tynemouth , England
Austin Lyons -- Cordova , Tenn.
Brendan Weafer -- New York , N.Y.
Chris Tickle -- Bloomington , Ill.
Cody Pfister -- Amarillo , Texas
Cristiano Marcello -- Curitiba , Brazil
Chase Hackett -- Littleton , Colo.
Chris Saunders -- Long Beach , Calif.
Dakota Cochrane -- Omaha , Neb.
Daron Cruickshank -- Wayne , Mich.
Drew Dober -- Omaha , Neb.
Erin Beach -- San Diego , Calif.
James Krause -- Blue Springs , Mo.
James Vick -- Fort Worth , Texas
Jared Carlsten -- Los Angeles , Calif.
Jeff Smith -- Mechanicsburg , Penn.
Jeremy Larsen -- Phoenix , Ariz.
Joe Proctor -- Pembroke , Mass.
John Cofer -- Hull , Ga.
Johnavan Vistante -- Pearl City , Hawaii
Jon Tuck -- Hagtna, Guam
Jordan Rinaldi -- Matthews, N.C.
Justin Lawrence -- Villa Ridge , Mo.
Mark Glover -- Liverpool , England
Michael Chiesa -- Spokane Valley , Wash.
Myles Jury -- San Diego , Calif.
Mike Rio -- Miami , Fla.
Sam Sicilia -- Spokane Valley , Wash.
Vinc Pichel -- Sherman Oaks, Calif.

Gotta love the new Fight Finder.

[quote name='zewone']I agree that Ben wrecked Edgar. I had it scored 49-46 (Edgar had the first round).

Frankie "Pillow Hands" Edgar didn't put a scratch on Ben and did little with his take downs. I can't even fathom the argument that Edgar won. When Frankie said he thought he won when he couldn't even open his left eye and the rest of his face look like it went through a meat grinder while Ben looked like he had just finished a light jog, I burst out in laughter.

But, I also had Diaz beating Condit 3-2.[/QUOTE]

You had Diaz winning so clearly you cannot judge a fight to save your life. I almost wouldn't trust your opinion if you told me Edgar won his second fight with BJ Penn, because clearly you like to score fights terribly.

[quote name='cgarb84']I take aggression into consideration but only when you are actually connecting with strikes and doing damage to your opponent. Condit took very few clean shots from Diaz in that fight. Diaz was moving forward the whole time but not utilizing effective striking. Henderson was, he was constantly tagging Edgar with jabs and hard body kicks, even catching Edgar with a few real nice knees. I don't understand what the fuck is so hard to grasp here. I mean even the majority of people on Sherdog think Henderson won the fight and we all know how much people on Sherdog love to bitch about close decisions and someone being robbed. Apparently this thread has decided to take up the shield for Edgar in this fight...I guess someone has to.

I didn't have a rooting interest in this fight but I can't help the way I saw and scored the fight. It's all opinions in here we know that. I'm just telling you what I saw and why I think Henderson won. I mean the way you guys are talking Edgar dominated Henderson in the standup...I just didn't see it that way at all.[/QUOTE]

The majority of people on Sherdog. Hahaha, a ton of people scored the Bisping/Sonnen fight in favor of BISPING as well. And a surprising amount of people had Diaz beating Condit based off his aggression too. Sherdog has a ton of fools who cannot score fights on there. Some can, but that's not what we're talking about here.

We can have a difference of opinion, it's all good here, but you'll never convince me that Ben Henderson outstruck Frankie Edgar. It didn't happen, there's a thing called "boxing" and getting "outboxed" and that's what Edgar did (boxing) and Henderson did (got outboxed).

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']if frankie doesn't get an immediate rematch though that is complete shit. he had to give everyone else their chance.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Magiblaze']It must suck for Edgar though.To have to do rematches and it take up his last 4 fights then not getting one himself.[/QUOTE]

I hope everybody can at least agree with this. Regardless of how you felt the fight went, it's really crappy to make the guy fight nothing but immediate rematches since winning the belt, and then the second he loses it, say "ok, you're done...see ya". It just gives me the feeling that nobody ever wanted Frankie Edgar to be champion and have been trying to erase it for two years now.

Frankie has been fighting rematches since 2009, and not giving him one is pretty sick. Duke Roufus said that Pettis has always been confirmed to them as the next challenger, so I doubt Edgar is getting his rematch.

[quote name='Chase']
Real talk: I'm hating the "Edgar MUST drop to 145 'cause he lost the title" talk. Joe Rogan needs to quit spewing his agenda in his postfight interviews. I'm not one to generalize—but, anyone asking for Edgar to drop to 145 does not have his best interests in mind.
[/QUOTE]
I'm with you on this one.He just lost his belt but hes still one of the best at 155 and theres plenty of other good matches for him.Right now I wouldn't mind seeing him face Donald Cerrone next or Guida.Wouldn't mind seeing Diaz fight him either if he loses to Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back