MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='zewone']I agree that Ben wrecked Edgar. I had it scored 49-46 (Edgar had the first round).

Frankie "Pillow Hands" Edgar didn't put a scratch on Ben and did little with his take downs. I can't even fathom the argument that Edgar won. When Frankie said he thought he won when he couldn't even open his left eye and the rest of his face look like it went through a meat grinder while Ben looked like he had just finished a light jog, I burst out in laughter.

But, I also had Diaz beating Condit 3-2.[/QUOTE]

I had been drinking quite a bit, so I didn't score it round by round, but I thought Henderson beat Frankie pretty soundly. Also, going into the fight, I was rooting for Edgar, but was really surprised by how much bigger Henderson looked. He had to have at least 15-20 pounds on Frankie.

The fact that Henderson almost finished Edgar a couple times and did far more damage outweighed the striking comparison, in my opinion.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']The fact that Henderson almost finished Edgar a couple times and did far more damage outweighed the striking comparison, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

The problem with this is that's not how a 10 point must system works. To be honest, even in the round where Henderson landed the upkick, I still thought Frankie won that round. The upkick came with like 20 seconds left in the round, and I didn't think that was enough to steal it. I might feel differently if I watched it again, but watching it live, that's how I felt.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']The problem with this is that's not how a 10 point must system works. To be honest, even in the round where Henderson landed the upkick, I still thought Frankie won that round. The upkick came with like 20 seconds left in the round, and I didn't think that was enough to steal it. I might feel differently if I watched it again, but watching it live, that's how I felt.[/QUOTE]

That's the criteria I believe: effective strikes trump number of strikes. The criteria doesn't factor whether a late but effective shot is any more or less important than any other moment in the round, so I can see why judges could score the round for Benson off the upkick.

I had a chance to rewatch Edgar-Bendo. I can see 48-47 Bendo—but I scored the fight 48-47 Edgar. Again.

My thoughts: if you beat the champion in a close fight, the champion should be afforded a rematch.

If you watch the postfight presser, Frankie looks pissed. I would be too. Edgar beat Penn, but had to fight him again because of a close decision. Edgar came back from a brutal R1 to draw Maynard, and had to defend his title again. The UFC should give Edgar the same opportunity they gave other fighters: a rematch after a close decision.

As for Pettis, I think he needs one more fight before a title fight. He had an impressive performance against Lauzon—but he lost to Guida and barely beat Stephens. I think the winner of Diaz-Miller should fight Pettis in a title eliminator. While that fight goes down, give Edgar the rematch he deserves against Bendo.

Frankie doesn't want to fight at 145. And it doesn't make sense for him to leave 155.

Malki Kawa says Benson wants to fight in Brazil, four months from now. Miller-Diaz is in May. If Edgar is healthy and has no serious injuries, and doesn't get the rematch, I'd have Edgar fight, say, Guida in June-July, and then, if he wins, the winner of Pettis-Henderson and Miller-Diaz.

Theres two free cards, one on FX and the other on Fuel.Could squeeze another ppv in I suppose in March.Theres also the Rousey vs. Tate card next week.

That upkick in my opinion definitely made sure Bendo won round 2.Did the most damage and nearly finished Edgar off with Bendo working on him but Edgar hiding his head beneath Bendo's crotch being saved by the bell.Best strike of the fight.I went with Bendo winning overall though and despite scoring it close 48-47 it seems well earned with hitting Edgar with more strikes and only hitting less in the first round, but also the more powerful strikes.Sadly Edgar doesn't have quite the power as some other guys and with Bendo's cardio I don't think additional rounds would've made any difference except more of a beating later on.It is interesting to see how controversial the bout has became.I would think Edgar is probably 2 wins away from getting a title shot sadly with how things can be clogged up.Pettis looks to be next, and then theres the Miller/Diaz winner unless one of them is given Frankie Edgar.

Yep. What Magiblaze said. Plus, there's the debut of The Ultimate Fighter Live on FX. They want to give that as much attention as possible.

Meant to post this yesterday. New NickTheFace promo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZG0sNDa2JQ

I would love to see Anderson Silva humbled in his home country. There's only one man for the job. His name? "The People's Champion" Chael "Captain America" Sonnen. The man. The truth. The true champion.

Chael will need to be at his best. Anderson is no joke. He needs to stay healthy and do a proper cut. Unlike his state when he fought Bisping. Here's hoping that Anderson stays healthy, too. Lord knows he'll use what ever excuse he can to get out of this fight.

[quote name='Scorch']What's the deal with no more PPV's until the end of April?[/QUOTE]

Actually, there was supposed to be one on March 24th in Montreal, but it was cancelled due to so many fighters getting injured. That was supposed to be UFC 144...but since the cancellation, the upcoming events got renumbered.

As for what reason Edgar would have to move to 145, my opinion is that he's been nothing but screwed at 155. He's the Rodney Dangerfield of 155, lol. Two immediate rematches, but when he loses they throw him to the bottom of the ladder. No respect at all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FPv2toi5og
damn, they don't make comedians like that anymore.

Despite Chael's spectacular performance in their first bout, I just can't see him pulling it off again. Anderson Silva is going to be more motivated and focused than ever as well as angry once they step into the Octagon again. The same goes for Chael, but I don't know. It is going to be a crazy fight but I can see Anderson going in there and finishing it in the 1st round.

Call me crazy, but that's what I truly believe!

It'll be a tough fight for Chael. Anderson is perhaps the best fighter to ever grace MMA. (Well, other than Jon Jones.) An X factor is the supposed shoulder injury that has kept Anderson on the shelf. According to Dana White, it was bad enough to keep him out until June. And Anderson didn't elect for surgery. Another X factor is the home town crowd. While Chael is mentally-tough, it seems to fuel Brazilian fighters. Chael is the ultimate underdog going into this rematch.

MMA needs whatever rules change to make less decisions...this shit is getting tired. Edgar, Bisping, Diaz, etc...I just want to see some non-controversial main events.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']MMA needs whatever rules change to make less decisions...this shit is getting tired. Edgar, Bisping, Diaz, etc...I just want to see some non-controversial main events.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with decisions. It's a sport. Decisions will happen when the best fighters fight. That "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots" stuff more often occurs in vale tudo and low-level MMA.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chase']I have no problem with decisions. It's a sport. Decisions will happen when the best fighters fight. That "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots" stuff more often occurs in vale tudo and low-level MMA.[/QUOTE]

Yup. It's no different than pitchers duels in baseball or defensive battles in football. Both of those are generally perceived as "boring" as well, but really only happen when the top talent is matched up with each other. Both sides are just too good to let the other do anything.

Maybe if you re-worded that to say that JUDGING should be defined a little better, I'd agree. I don't like controversial decisions either, and it's going to be hard to get everyone to agree on how takedowns, ring aggression, etc. should be scored. But it probably would hurt to sit down and try to lay out some better groundrules for how these things should be viewed either. Just letting each judge value it at their own discretion is why you see one judge rule 30-27 for fighter A and another judge 29-28 for fighter B. I HATE fights like that.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']The problem with this is that's not how a 10 point must system works. To be honest, even in the round where Henderson landed the upkick, I still thought Frankie won that round. The upkick came with like 20 seconds left in the round, and I didn't think that was enough to steal it. I might feel differently if I watched it again, but watching it live, that's how I felt.[/QUOTE]

Actually, that's exactly how it works. Here are the official rules on how a judge should score an MMA bout.

(g) The following objective scoring criteria shall be utilized by the judges when scoring a round;

(1) A 10-10 round is awarded when neither fighter has done enough to separate his or her performance from his or her opponent. If a judge does not feel confident scoring a round for either contestant, a judge should score the round 10-10.

(2) A 10-9 round is any round in which a fighter demonstrates a basic, but clear level of superiority. A 10-9 round may be characterized by a greater amount of effective strikes landed, a knockdown, or threatening submission attempts.

(3) A 10-8 round is any round in which a fighter demonstrates a significant level of superiority. The round winner will typically have put himself in position to finish the bout during the round. A 10-8 round may be characterized by multiple knockdowns, a knockdown followed by effective ground strikes, or a lopsided disparity in effective strikes landed.

(4) A 10-7 round is any round in which a fighter put himself in position to finish the bout multiple times.

(5) A 10-6 round is any round in which a fighter was in position to finish the bout for a majority of the round and the round loser produced no effective offense.

The rules are pretty clear here. Henderson knocked Frankie down a couple times and came close to finishing the fight more than once. I think you have to give those rounds to Henderson.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']MMA needs whatever rules change to make less decisions...this shit is getting tired. Edgar, Bisping, Diaz, etc...I just want to see some non-controversial main events.[/QUOTE]

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...d-tap-ufc-flyweight-tournament-182515404.html

While it's not a full solution, I'm glad the UFC is instituting sudden death rounds in case there's a tie during the flyweight tournament. I'd like to see this for all title fights, too.

Think of how amazing the Frankie/Maynard fight would have been if when they announced the fight ended in a draw, the two fighters would have had to come back for one more round. The arena would have lost it.

[quote name='Chase']I have no problem with decisions. It's a sport. Decisions will happen when the best fighters fight. That "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots" stuff more often occurs in vale tudo and low-level MMA.[/QUOTE]

If we can figure out a way to lessen the "48-47, 47-48, 49-46" decisions, I think it'd be phenomenal. However I'm not sure people would get behind completely going off Compustrike's data though it would be the most objective judgement. It would be same shit in a different package when decisions come around and people disagree.

I absolutely understand what you're saying, Ced. In general, the judging system needs a revision. By that I mean judges need to be better educated and there needs to be a system like how Nick Lembo has out in New Jersey. Good judges work bigger shows. Judges who make mistakes get demoted to smaller shows or go back to shadowing better judges.

I can't stress this enough: Anyone who's an MMA fan needs to listen to Jack Encarnacao's Rewind. It's the most informative anything about MMA anywhere. Here's the episode where he had a long sitdown with Nick Lembo discussing judging, judges, and the whole shebang.

http://www.sherdog.com/blog/SRN-Rewind-Nick-Lembo-30087

A quick rundown of the latest.

anbj0x.png

- Rampage says he used testosterone therapy before his fight with Ryan Bader, claims he took the advice of a "UFC doctor"

http://www.fightopinion.com/2012/02/29/ufc-rampage-jackson-testosterone/

- Association Of Boxing Commissions tells members to not license MMA fighters from Michigan

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/1/2835428/abc-michigan-mma-ban-license-fights-ufc#storyjump

- Dana White says Frankie Edgar deserves a rematch—but instead offers him title shot at Jose Aldo

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/2/29/2...n-rematch-ufc-144-jose-aldo-featherweight-mma

- Donald Cerrone spars with newbie, newbie shows why he's a newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGHa8P-iXdU

Saw that video. Looked like Cerrone pulled his kick back too, so maybe the new guy just has a glass chin that breaks at the sight of punches/kicks. Straight up KO too, funny how Cerrone can't get one just one in MMA.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Saw that video. Looked like Cerrone pulled his kick back too, so maybe the new guy just has a glass chin that breaks at the sight of punches/kicks. Straight up KO too, funny how Cerrone can't get one just one in MMA.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. 'Twas definitely a freak accident. Looked like a very light sparring session. Newbie looked like a flyweight, too. Small dude.

My top to bottom for UFC on FX 2.

Shawn Jordan over Oli Thompson by R1 KO
Daniel Pineda over Mackens Semerzier by R1 TKO
Jake Hecht over TJ Waldburger by UD
Kyle Noke over Andrew Craig by R1 TKO
Cole Miller over Steven Siler by R1 SUB
Anthony Perosh over Nick Penner by UD
James Te-Huna over Aaron Rosa by UD
Court McGee over Constantinos Philippou by UD
Demetrious Johnson over Ian McCall by UD
Joseph Benavidez over Yasuhiro Urushitani by UD
Thiago Alves over Martin Kampmann by UD

Prelims have started. My first underdog pick worked out nicely in my favor.

Hoping to battle Maklershed for the higher score. ;) Pick Em restarted with its official launch. Glad, too. Feels nice to rinse away the stank from the last two PPVs. And Rousey-Tate opened, too, by the way.

Hell of a slick armbar from Waldburger

Other than the Jordan/Oli fight, my picks are going to shit so far. :(

[quote name='Chase']
Hoping to battle Maklershed for the higher score. ;) Pick Em restarted with its official launch. Glad, too. Feels nice to rinse away the stank from the last two PPVs. And Rousey-Tate opened, too, by the way.[/QUOTE]

Are you in the NeoGaf pool?

And it figures they reset it. I was doing great, just a few outside of the top 100 and my picks were horrible last week and not looking good so far tonight either.

I ain't doin' much better, man. Hahaha... 3-3. Two missed boosts. This is gonna get ugly if more upsets happen. My new picking percentage already looks like hell. Despite my poor decisions the last two cards, my percentage kept strong with the Top 10. Seems like the most important thing to get right are perfect picks.

'Twas a terrific fight. Tons of action.

And I'm glad they're doing a McCall-Johnson rematch. I had the fight

R1: 10-9 McCall
R2: 10-9 Johnson
R3: 10-8 McCall
29-27 McCall

I think we're all pissed that the athletic commission screwed up the scorecard. A sudden-death round in the first flyweight fight would have added a lot more hype to the division. Nice job, Australia.

And, damn it, I knew I should have picked Kampmann. I figured his solid SUB game would have come into play.

And refs needs to start calling these illegal knees. I dislike the "hand-on-ground/dun knee me bro" rule but it's a foul until it's changed.

Edit 1:

Here's the screwy scorecard.

http://twitter.com/#!/MMAjunkieJohn/status/175786755268681728/photo/1

Edit 2:

As for the Pick Em. Right now, post-restart, I'm 1760. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Oh, and hey, Mak, I am in the GAF pool. I must have joined it at the very start of the Pick Em (when I joined the Sherdog Radio, Facebook, and other pools).

[quote name='Chase']
As for the Pick Em. Right now, post-restart, I'm 1760. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Oh, and hey, Mak, I am in the GAF pool. I must have joined it at the very start of the Pick Em (when I joined the Sherdog Radio, Facebook, and other pools).[/QUOTE]

What's your name on there? Despite going 6 fights or so without a single correct pick I actually didn't do too bad thanks to the final 3 fights and a perfect boost for Benevidez KO in round 2. I'm at 1140 right now.

Don't forget - Strikeforce tonight. Picks are open for the next 11 hours.

Just saw this on the UFC facebook feed:

BREAKING NEWS: Johnson vs. McCall fight scored wrong by the Commission. It should have been a draw that went into a "victory round" to determine a winner. There will be a rematch.

I snagged the name "Chase." I'll double-check to see which pools I'm in when I double-check my picks before Rousey-Tate. :)

Two things still hot in my MMA community Twitter feed, in order: 1.) Thiago Alves snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, 2.) McCall-Johnson scoring.

Lots of buzz about the flyweights—even from people who aren't even casual fans. Very interesting.

[quote name='Maklershed']I checked the GAF pool and didn't see you. Maybe it didnt carry you over?[/QUOTE]

can you put up a link? ill join you guys in the pool.

Just put my picks in for today:

Bowling KO 2 BOOST
Heun Dec
Fodor Dec
Kaufman KO 3 BOOST
Smith KO 1
Souza Sub 1 BOOST
Daley KO 1 BOOST
Thomson Dec
Rousey Sub 1

[quote name='paz9x']can you put up a link? ill join you guys in the pool.[/QUOTE]

Well the website is fantasy.sherdog.com. Did you wanna join the NeoGAF pool or do you think we have interest here to create or own CAG pool?

I'm glad they are giving Uncle Creepy another shot against Mighty Mouse, I thought he won the fight but at least he can try again. Overall I enjoyed last nights card and the Kampmann finish was pretty sweet.

Yes, sir, I did indeed create the CAGMMA pool. :)

I'm in a pool called "MMA-GAF." Is that the GAF pool? Tied for 8, if that helps.

Sweet goodness, Ronda is a pitbull. She's prettier than any ring girl and would beat up dudes at 135.

http://www.mmafighting.com/strikeforce/2012/3/2/2840338/tate-vs-rousey-weigh-in-video

I am torn between Miesha and Ronda. I'm tempted to pick Ronda simply because she's the better athlete. And female MMA is 5-8 years behind male MMA. So being excellent in one area should be enough to get anyone a win.

I have two rules about MMA. One, never bet on a judoka, as they alway disappoint. Two, never bet on Asian fighters. ...And, fuck it, I'm breaking both of those rules.

Ronda Rousey over Miesha Tate by R1 SUB
Josh Thomson over KJ Noons by UD
Kazuo Misaki over Paul Daley by R1 SUB
Ronaldo Souza over Bristol Marunde by R1 SUB
Lumumba Sayers over Scott Smith by R1 KO
Sarah Kaufman over Alexis Davis by R3 TKO
Pat Healy over Caros Fodor by R1 SUB
Roger Bowling over Brandon Saling by R1 TKO

EDIT: I changed it back to Tate by R1 TKO. :lol: I just can't do it. Ronda's a better athlete, angrier, has Olympic credentials, but until she beats someone like Tate she's unproven.

Tate KO? Does she know how to strike enough to get KO's? In order for Tate to get a knockout she would need to wrestle and unleash unholy GNP, especially if you're talking 1st round...that's not going to happen.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Tate KO? Does she know how to strike enough to get KO's? In order for Tate to get a knockout she would need to wrestle and unleash unholy GNP, especially if you're talking 1st round...that's not going to happen.[/QUOTE]

I had a long morning and needed a nap. I have no idea why I didn't go with Rousey by R1 SUB. :cold:

Edit: I remember why I chose Tate. Fighting angry and being overconfident can be a bad decision, like Lauzon-Guillard. I forgot to heavily factor Rousey's Olympic pedigree. She's familiar with pressure and being smart. I can't see the fight going to a decision. Rousey probably nabs the SUB in R2-R3 if not in R1.

[quote name='paz9x']lol are you trolling us chase?[/QUOTE]

Nope! I'm just stupid. Hahaha... :lol:

Reading the results, thus far. I need to watch this Ryan Couture fight. Getting a submission on Conor Heun says that Couture has improved.

[quote name='Chase']Reading the results, thus far. I need to watch this Ryan Couture fight. Getting a submission on Conor Heun says that Couture has improved.[/QUOTE]

no kidding, heun is a tough dude

Apparently, the dude on Twitter had it wrong. I read the actual result on Sherdog. Ryan Couture flattening out Conor Heun and getting a TKO stoppage in R3 is really impressive. Dude has solid jitz. Getting a TKO in the late rounds shows solid conditioning and good power.

An example of how much more women's MMA needs to improve: Kaufman used her boxing to outwork Davis, a good kickboxer, while standing. Kaufman showed a big grappling weakness on the ground. I look forward to female MMA growing to a point where the women are as well-rounded as the men.

And this Columbus, Ohio crowd needs to behave itself. They're almost as annoying as the Denver, Colorado crowd.

Ugh...more horrible judging tonight. One judge goes 30-27 Misaki. Another, 29-28 Daley. How can you seriously be that far apart? Also, who was the idiot in there talking with Mauro and Frank? First he said Misaki should get the 3rd round because he was the aggressor and was moving forward most of the round...even though his face got completely lit up that round. What the fuck is with this line of thinking where walking into a punch gets you points? Don't get me wrong, I think Daley fought like shit overall, but he did take that last round. The only judge who got it right was the last one.

Oh, the other thing idiot commentator said was "They've got Misaki cleaned up pretty good. His nose looks fine now." And Frank goes "His nose DOES NOT good, dude..." lol. Strikeforce just always feels like amateur hour to me. I don't know what it is.

EDIT - Wait...it's Miletich??? WTF is he smoking? lol

I missed the last two rounds of the Misaki-Daley fight. Didn't get to hear Miletich's comments. But, out of the three, I think Miletich is the best. He's usually incredibly knowledgeable. Shamrock always sounds like he's drunk. Ranallo can be unbearable. He'd be a better wrasslin commentator—which is his roots. If Strikeforce folds, I would like Miletich to be transitioned from one Zuffa company to the other, and put between Goldberg and Rogan. Perhaps the third wheel for Anik and Florian, since Anik and Florian sound too similar. That would be a pretty insightful commentary team. Either one.

Just my two cents, tho. Everyone has their preferences. :)

Glad Misaki won. Daley is a flake.

I'm actually good for the night, picks-wise. So Tate can lose if she wants—though I'd definitely support a win.

Woooooo!!! Ronda Rousey! Great fight! Calling it now, Ronda Rousey will be the Randy Couture of women's MMA. She's going to carry it through its evolution.

Ronda Rousey is the real deal. What an athlete. And hats off to Miesha Tate for having her elbow popped in the first armbar, escaping, and pressing the fight.

I'm really happy to see judo finally fulfill its potential in MMA. I'll have to forward the video to my dad.

Also, I gotta say, Sayers vertical suplex of Scott Smith was fucking ridiculous, lol. I thought he was going to do a Hulk Hogan leg drop after that shit, hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back