MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally caught up on a lot of the fights I'd missed the last couple weeks. Man MMA has had some good stuff. I really like watching events taped because if a fight starts becoming boring I just fast forward past the decision to a better fight. Plus I can skip all the delays/commercials/chatter that clog up a card.

Man the women really stole the show on that Rousey card...a couple of really great fights that night.

I really, really, really hope Barnett just clowns Cormier because there are so many potential matchups I want to see him in. He's always been a really solid heavyweight that has just never really made it when it counts. I still feel robbed by no Barnett/Fedor fight...damnit, Josh.

Ah yeah, Sarah Kaufman-Alexis Davis and Ronda Rousey-Miesha Tate really did steal the show on that Strikeforce card. I think Rousey stomps anyone in her path, tho. A fight with Cristiane Santos would be competitive, but Rousey is better on the ground and would win by armbar if the fight got to the ground.

I'm a fan of Josh Barnett—but he needs to stay clean. Japan is very nonchalant when it comes to PEDs and I question his wins. To his credit, he didn't test positive in his wins against Pedro Rizzo and Sergei Kharitonov in the U.S.

In the long-run, I'm more supportive of a Daniel Cormier win. Cormier is an Olympic-level athlete with a tragic, inspirational story. He's new to MMA and would be a great talent to have at the top levels of the UFC.

I don't know if Barnett has a chance to get to the UFC again if he doesn't win the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix. I'd also like to see how he performs against people like Frank Mir, who has some of the best jiu-jitsu at heavyweight, and, UFC Heavyweight champion, Junior Dos Santos.

https://twitter.com/#!/jeremybotter/status/182218508267040768

UFC Featherweight champion Jose Aldo will have his opponent announced tomorrow for the main event in Calgary. Any guesses? It has to be Hatsu Hioki, right?

If so, hopefully this is the Hioki we get against Aldo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT_mYOZrITM

That's a great deal. Warrior is a great piece of film. :)

Busy day for MMA news. Check the OP.

Something not in the OP is this piece on, former U.S. Marine Corps Captain and UFC fighter, Brian Stann. He talks about his two tours of Iraq, fighting, and "the things [he has] to live with."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvZLzRORHYc

Just incredible stuff.

Updated the opening post.

I'm ridiculously happy that the UFC booked Sonnen-Silva 2 on my birthday. Right now, the plan is to be there live in Brazil. I don't know if my girlfriend or friends can take vacation that week. Worst case scenario: I watch Chael Rousey-stomp Silva in the comfort of my home—which is still a good deal.

In case you missed Bellator 62, three days ago, here's an easy candidate for Fight of the Year by Patricky Friere and Lloyd Woodard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM7SLHvgTd4

Thanks for the heads up, Mak. I'm a little bummed I wasn't around to pimp the deal and credit you on Twitter.

I'll be honest: I had no idea who Lloyd Woodard even was until he beat Patricky Friere. Going forward, I'll have to keep an eye on his progress.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Fo...awal-Released-from-Strikeforce-Contract-41407

Today's big MMA news is that Zuffa fined, suspended, and then fired, former Strikeforce 205 champion, King Mo. Now, if you haven't been following the story, Mo tested positive for drostanolone, an anabolic steroid, which is primarily used as a weight-cutting supplement. Drostanolone is an ingredient in many over-the-counter products sold in stores, like Superdrol and M-Drol.

King Mo is no stranger to drug testing. For several years, prior to MMA, he participated in world-class level wrestling competitions with incredibly strict drug testing. In his personal life, Mo says he lives a clean life and has never used recreational drugs, including marijuana. I have much respect for the man, and personally, when Mo says he did not knowingly take drostanolone, I believe him. He was irresponsible with his supplements and he should be punished—but there is a difference between making a mistake and intentionally making a decision. King Mo has been punished more than Thiago Silva. Silva, who purposely falsified his urine sample to the NSAC. Mo has been outspoken about Keith Kizer and the NSAC, and I cannot help but assume Kizer is exploiting this opportunity to make an example out of Mo.

I think the only reason why Thiago Silva is still in the UFC—and King Mo is fired—is because Mo has been utilizing the Zuffa healthcare plan to fight-off a life-threatening staph infection, and has had 16 surgeries, this year, on his knee. I surely hope the reason Zuffa fired Mo from Strikeforce is because they want to sign him under a UFC contract. Otherwise, that's some cold-blooded bullshit.

Well I think its more because of the whole "Racist bitch" comment he made about a woman with the comission.They're really getting onto fighters more about language that might be offensive with women like rape jokes and now with what King Mo said.Isn't quite as worse as what Dana said to Loretta Hunt calling her a "fucking dumb bitch" but after the backlash for that and being with Fox who cares a lot more about public image and wants MMA to be seen as more professional.

I'm going to visit my friend in Madison for 5 or so days and thought about going to Buffallo Wild Wings to watch the UFC card but after seeing how empty the card is other than Jones vs Evans, I'm gonna have to pass. I also hope that King Mo gets a pass back into Strikeforce or the UFC, it was a pretty lame reason to cut somebody over calling an official a racist bitch, supposedly she asked if he can speak and write english which sounds pretty racist to me.

[quote name='icp_00_111']I'm going to visit my friend in Madison for 5 or so days and thought about going to Buffallo Wild Wings to watch the UFC card but after seeing how empty the card is other than Jones vs Evans, I'm gonna have to pass. I also hope that King Mo gets a pass back into Strikeforce or the UFC, it was a pretty lame reason to cut somebody over calling an official a racist bitch, supposedly she asked if he can speak and write english which sounds pretty racist to me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah UFC 145 is an awful card. I'm defentially going to watch it cause I'm a huge Rashad Evans fan and hope he whoops the fuck out of Jones.

As many have stated before, UFC 146 is fuck stacked like crazy.

UFC146.jpg

Main card
Heavyweight Championship bout: Junior dos Santos (c) vs. Alistair Overeem
Cain Velasquez vs. Frank Mir
Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Shane del Rosario
Mark Hunt vs. Stefan Struve

Preliminary card (FX)
Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins
Evan Dunham vs. Edson Barboza
Jason Miller vs. C.B. Dollaway
Jacob Volkmann vs. Paul Sass

Preliminary card (Facebook)
Dan Hardy vs. Duane Ludwig
Kyle Kingsbury vs. Glover Teixeira
Featherweight bout: Mike Brown vs. Daniel Pineda

JDS, Reem,Velasquez,Mir, Big Country, Napao, Hunt, Mayhem all on the same card :drool:

[quote name='Magiblaze']Well I think its more because of the whole "Racist bitch" comment he made about a woman with the comission.They're really getting onto fighters more about language that might be offensive with women like rape jokes and now with what King Mo said.Isn't quite as worse as what Dana said to Loretta Hunt calling her a "fucking dumb bitch" but after the backlash for that and being with Fox who cares a lot more about public image and wants MMA to be seen as more professional.[/QUOTE]

That probably triggered Zuffa to fire Mo. As you and others have stated, I think Dana White—ya know, the UFC President—putting out a video on YouTube referring to Loretta Hunt as a "cunt" and "bitch" is far worse. But hey, Forrest Griffin makes offensive jokes on Twitter yet Miguel Torres gets cut for his poor use of a TV line. It's Zuffa. Some standards don't apply to others.

I hope Zuffa signs Mo to the UFC. And I hope Mo stays tough. This is a lot of bullshit to handle within a short amount of time.

[quote name='icp_00_111']I'm going to visit my friend in Madison for 5 or so days and thought about going to Buffallo Wild Wings to watch the UFC card but after seeing how empty the card is other than Jones vs Evans, I'm gonna have to pass. I also hope that King Mo gets a pass back into Strikeforce or the UFC, it was a pretty lame reason to cut somebody over calling an official a racist bitch, supposedly she asked if he can speak and write english which sounds pretty racist to me.[/QUOTE]

I had a look at the entire card for UFC 145. I actually really like the card. Smart booking per usual. Rory MacDonald getting Che Mills will be a good test against a large welterweight with good power in his hands. Schaub-Rothwell is a big fight for Schaub. He wins, he gets more time to develop as a heavyweight prospect. He loses, and that status permanently goes away. Michael McDonald-Miguel Torres has Knockout of the Night and/or Fight of the Night written all over it. This is a huge test for McDonald.

Then you have Matt Wiman-Mark Bocek, Travis Browne-Chad Griggs, and Matt Brown-Stephen Thompson. All potential bonus-winning fights.

As for Jason Miller-C.B. Dollaway, it's difficult to bet on Miller. He—should—beat Dollaway, but I wouldn't be surprised if he loses. If he wins, it'll probably be by SUB in R1. If he loses, he'll drop a decision.

He should be done if he can't get it done against Dollaway.The UFC is sure to fire him and its a great match up for him style wise,if he doesn't so might as well retire.

Didn't even notice Brown/Thompson was brought up earlier. Hahaha, I can't wait to see the great Matt Brown get knocked out (or submitted) when they fight. The guy thinks he is good, but you cannot be good with a record that bounces around the .500 mark.

[quote name='Chase']That probably triggered Zuffa to fire Mo. As you and others have stated, I think Dana White—ya know, the UFC President—putting out a video on YouTube referring to Loretta Hunt as a "cunt" and "bitch" is far worse. But hey, Forrest Griffin makes offensive jokes on Twitter yet Miguel Torres gets cut for his poor use of a TV line. It's Zuffa. Some standards don't apply to others.

I hope Zuffa signs Mo to the UFC. And I hope Mo stays tough. This is a lot of bullshit to handle within a short amount of time.

I had a look at the entire card for UFC 145. I actually really like the card. Smart booking per usual. Rory MacDonald getting Che Mills will be a good test against a large welterweight with good power in his hands. Schaub-Rothwell is a big fight for Schaub. He wins, he gets more time to develop as a heavyweight prospect. He loses, and that status permanently goes away. Michael McDonald-Miguel Torres has Knockout of the Night and/or Fight of the Night written all over it. This is a huge test for McDonald.

Then you have Matt Wiman-Mark Bocek, Travis Browne-Chad Griggs, and Matt Brown-Stephen Thompson. All potential bonus-winning fights.

As for Jason Miller-C.B. Dollaway, it's difficult to bet on Miller. He—should—beat Dollaway, but I wouldn't be surprised if he loses. If he wins, it'll probably be by SUB in R1. If he loses, he'll drop a decision.[/QUOTE]

The 145 was originally booked with a Canadian audience in mind, the fight card happening in Georgia makes it... less enticing.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Didn't even notice Brown/Thompson was brought up earlier. Hahaha, I can't wait to see the great Matt Brown get knocked out (or submitted) when they fight. The guy thinks he is good, but you cannot be good with a record that bounces around the .500 mark.[/QUOTE]

Ha. Yeah. I get what you're putting down on the table. While Matt Brown is talented, the UFC is filled with top talent, and he'd have an easier time winning outside of the UFC. I dig Wonderboy. He is a super-talented guy and a true mixed martial arts fighter. He has a blue belt in jiujitsu—but I wonder how he'd face against a good grappler. If he beats Brown, a fight with Jake Hecht would be appropriate. If they want to push him as a fighter, I'd give him Brian Ebersole or Mike Pierce.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']The 145 was originally booked with a Canadian audience in mind, the fight card happening in Georgia makes it... less enticing.[/QUOTE]

That may be so—but good fights are good fights. ;)

ONE FC had the entire War Of The Lions show on YouTube but have apparently since pulled it in favor of individual fight videos. Go to their YouTube channel for the rest of the fights from the card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjFtx1tUgHM

Kawajiri should be under the Zuffa banner.

[quote name='Chase']Ha. Yeah. I get what you're putting down on the table. While Matt Brown is talented, the UFC is filled with top talent, and he'd have an easier time winning outside of the UFC. I dig Wonderboy. He is a super-talented guy and a true mixed martial arts fighter. He has a blue belt in jiujitsu—but I wonder how he'd face against a good grappler. If he beats Brown, a fight with Jake Hecht would be appropriate. If they want to push him as a fighter, I'd give him Brian Ebersole or Mike Pierce.
[/QUOTE]

I heard that Thompson has a black belt in BJJ under Machado, his brother-in-law, but that he isn't deserving of a BB. Of course, lots of reports say that he is like 56-0 in kickboxing when I have seen him get knocked out before, so...

He's a pretty good striker, although I very much suspect how good his hands are, but the fact is Matt Brown can't beat him on the feet and SHOULDN'T be able to beat him on the ground either.

Yep, Carlos Machado is his brother-in-law. I did not know Wonderboy earned a black belt in jiujitsu. To my understanding, he is still a blue belt under Machado.

Matt Brown is a tough fighter with good skill on the ground. Unless this is where Brown's chin begins to decline, I see this fight going to a decision. In those fifteen minutes, can he catch Thompson in a crafty submission? Possibly. This fight is going to be a good test to see at what level is Wonderboy's grappling. I wouldn't be surprised if Brown won by decision. A dominate win by Wonderboy means he's ready for the better part of 170.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr7LK1lmJDc

Brown does not beat anyone decent, one of the best wins he has ever had was over Doomsday. If Thompson loses or struggles heavily, it will prove he is going to be just a gatekeeper.

Agreed. Brown is definitely nothing more than a low-tier gatekeeper.

Huge, breaking news.

Overeem tested positive for elevated testosterone levels and is out of the UFC 146 main event with Junior dos Santos.

"@bokamotoESPN: E-mail says Overeem's levels were 10:1. NSAC limit is 6:1."

I'm on my phone. And the copy-paste function isn't working with Mobile CAG, but hit Sherdog, or any MMA news site for the full-story.

I read he was higher than 10:1. fucking reem. I was really looking forward to that fight.
Who do you guys see in his spot? Mir?

Unfortunately, I can't say I'm surprised. It's Overeem. If I were Zuffa/Dana/either Fertitta I'd be pissed. If his win over Lesnar is overturned 'cause he couldn't pass two drugs, he's cost Zuffa a lot of money. Lesnar was perhaps their biggest moneymaker. If I were Zuffa, I'd fire Reem and send him back to K1/Japan were he can juice all he wants.

Mir-Dos Santos makes the most sense. Velasquez-Bigfoot/Werdum would be a good fight. Give Nelson someone like Mark Hunt.

Can you imagine if Mir wins? I like Mir but know a few friends who would be pissed.

Oh, and Rampage made "rape instructionals."

Yes, you read that right. Dude really wants to get fired by the UFC. He just may get his wish.

CAG Mobile is being funky. Google search for the video.

Frank Mir seems like the only other option sadly unless they already wanna do a rematch with Cain but too soon and need a winner fighting for the belt.

I don't think Rampage is trying to get fired.Just being funny and the video ended with him getting raped.

i think rape not being funny has already been well established.

a cain rematch would suck, i want to see them both fight others a couple times before that, build the rematch back up.

I like cain vs. werdum a lot. its difficult being mir is the only option riding a win streak. Reem really put the ufc in a bad spot, the loss of brock like chase mentioned is a big deal. since he was almost certainly on the sauce for that one too.

Rampage is going out of the UFC after losing to Shogun anyway, so I doubt he cares. He pretty much always said and did what he wanted anyway no matter how it looked and his humor is a bit different from what most could consider "funny", but he's leaving after his next fight so he doesn't care.

On the Overeem note, I'm not surprised and I am glad he finally got busted. It was only a matter of time and it was clear for years now that he never got that huge (he is...HUGE) naturally.

205 Overeem looks like a different person from 265 Overeem. I think the Nevada State Athletic Commission having a 6:1 limit for testosterone encourages fighters to abuse their therapeutic use exemptions. Rumor has it that Overeem's T levels were higher than the reported 10:1.

I think Mir has earned a title shot if Overeem can't get licensed. Velasquez still needs a win to put himself back "in the mix." Rumblings indicate that the UFC is leaning towards Nelson-Mitrione—but I'm pulling for a Nelson-Hunt fight. Give the Mitrione fight to Struve.

And I'm fine with Velasquez-Big Foot. It was rumored before and I'm still interested in seeing how Cain fairs against the living Easter Island moai.

As for Rampage, I've become indifferent to his childish shenanigans and never-ending excuses.

Quick note: I did something new with the "frontpage"/opening thread. More info packed into each week with better categorizing. And don't forget to add yourselves to the Twitter list. ;)

I agree completly with the post above for the different matches, I am not a big fan of Mir vs. JDS but what can you do. I do like Nelson/Hunt match alot and hope they make that one set in stone soon.

I haven't seen Hunt in a while. Has his ground game improved at all? I can't imagine it being anything but Big Country rolling Hunt with my current image of Super Samoan.

Yeah, good point, I kinda just hope it is two fat dudes swinging for the fences lol. It would be in Big Country's favor to get it to the ground.

nelson would tap hunt in under a minute if he takes him to the ground. i think cain/silva is a very good fight. im not enthralled with any of the other possible fights. oh well.

Hmm. Yes... Yes, I can see Roy Nelson getting an inside leg trip, then plying various subs in an attempt to catch Mark Hunt with one.

If they keep it on the feet, I'd give Hunt the edge for R1. His conditioning has looked a lot better since the Ben Rothwell fight. I forgot what he did, but he mentioned a change in his diet or training.

On the ground, I give Roy the nod. His jiujitsu game is solid.

Oh, and hey, we found out today that Alistair Overeem's T levels were— Cue drum roll— Fourteen-to-one. 14:1. That is 1400-percent. Good lord almighty.

New NickTheFace, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Qe6fOwEbE

So freakin' good. He mentioned on Twitter that he was an hour away from finishing this promo when news broke about Overeem's drama.

I was holding out hope that Reem would test clean because drug violations is the last thing the sport needs at this point. That said, I am not really surprised that he got caught. The last bust that surprised me was Royce after Gracie/Saku II, in a "Why??" sort of way.

Yeah, Royce testing positive for anabolic steroids came out of the blue. Just goes to show you how much damage can be accrued throughout a fighter's career and why people choose to fight smart, like St-Pierre.

At least fighters wear gloves sized to protect the hand while still able to put out fight-ending damage. Boxing is ridiculous. Oversized gloves that protect hands better than they protect the actual boxer.

I've seen some stupid comments at various MMA avenues. More people who try to talk MMA need to understand a.) how T:E levels work, and b.) what testosterone does and why it's different from steroids. They should try to understand why 14:1 is ridiculous.

Fedor's next fight is scheduled for June 21. The heavyweight free agent pool is limited. I'll watch any fight, but would only be interested in fights against Cro Cop or Kharitonov. I'd rather not see rematches against Arlovski and Sylvia. And Bobby Lashley is pretty unimpressive and would get his face assigned to the ground.

There's something I don't like about back-to-back posts, but this is a pretty interesting development.

2rlztr4.jpg

According to Dana, Mir-Velasquez will still happen. Okay. If it's not Mir (or Velasquez, for that matter), then it's either Werdum, Fedor (which won't happen), or someone in the mid-tier of the division. Perhaps, and I know it's a bit of a stretch if you haven't been following the trends on Twitter— But just perhaps, #RallyForMarkHunt worked.

Hunt-Dos Santos would be incredible.

Could possibly be Dan Henderson as crazy as it sounds.I imagine they'll go with Werdum if they won't go with Mir.Could be Dan but seems less likely then Werdum but Dan says hes up for it and wants a title shot at at 205 or 185 and seems from what hes said recently he'd do 265 too.

Could be Hendo. I saw his tweet where he said he'd fight Junior dos Santos if asked by the UFC. But, I'm somewhat hesitant to believe they'd sacrifice a 185/205 contender to Cigano. I love Hendo, one of the best U.S.-born fighters, but Cigano is bigger and, while he might not finish Hendo with strikes on the feet, he would hurt and probably sub him.

Dependent on who you follow on Twitter, you have people saying that Overeem-Dos Santos will still happen, others saying Dana is holding back Plan B (Mir-Dos Santos), a small contingent hoping for Werdum, and a strong majority cheering for Mark Hunt. I won't lie: Hunt gets the fight and I'll be as excited for Hunt-Dos Santos as I am for Sonnen-Silva 2.

I had hoped Zuffa and M1 could come to an agreement to have Fedor in the UFC. While M1 has dropped their "co-promotion" stipulation, they still hold hostage the greatest heavyweight of all-time. Lorenzo said recently that he'd be open to discussion with M1. Dana's grudge be damned, if Rob Broughton, Steve Cantwell, and Mike Massenzio have jobs, then Fedor deserves a place in the UFC.

he is trading vision/breathing for possible other advantages of the material. the cartwheel pass is ok but like most showy BJJ moves it didn't actually advance his position much.

That is true, Kaze. I don't have nearly enough grappling experience to say for certain, but the material looks to have helped him in a few positions.

And Knees, there is certainly nothing green about that man. Hahaha... User probably did it for page views.

First episode of UFC Primetime: Jones vs. Evans is up. I have heard a lot of buzz about the episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UY2OJTLseU

[quote name='knees_n_elbows']is the person who named the youtube video color blind? theres nothing green about that man.[/QUOTE]Either that or they're familiar with the character from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

[quote name='ced']Either that or they're familiar with the character from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.[/QUOTE]
Great show.

Ended up watching the UFC Primetime last night. Never watched it before, but was bored so decided to take a peak. I enjoyed watching it and it makes me even more excited for their upcoming fight. I am rooting for Jones just because of his freak nature and raw talent.

It's already been said before, but if there's anyone in 205 that would even come close it would be Rashad. The fact that they are former training partners will play a role I think. Regardless if Jones has been constantly evolving, Evans should still have a rough idea of what it's going to take.

Also looking forward to seeing Miguel Torres back in the Octagon and on the Main Card.

I'm a fan of both Jones and Evans. I think this is the last test for Jones at 205. Gustafsson is a work-in-progress, Hendo would probably get caught in a rear naked choke... And that's about it for 205.

4jnamo.jpg

I think Jones finishes Evans in R4 by submission. People have said that Evans would have an advantage if he can get and hold Jones on his back. I think executing that gameplan against Jones would be quite a task. Jones controlled Rua, Jackson, and Machida. Rua and Machida are BJJ blackbelts, and Jackson had some of the best hips in MMA. On the feet, I think Evans has better technique and power, but Jones has his length and far more weapons.

Updated the OP. One thing I want to point out is Akiyama-Alves. I guess Akiyama doesn't get a tune-up fight. He arguably beats Jake Shields, and is victim to uncalled, illegal strikes by Belfort. I can't help but feel sorry for The Sexy One.

Alves is my pick simply because I see him outstriking Akiyama on the feet. But hell, Alves always finds a way to lose, and isn't exactly a safe bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back