MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this isn't the boxing thread but just in case if anyone is planning to watch the Pacquaio fight tonight I recommend http://www.wsnlive.com They mma, wrestling and boxing fights in High quality. It is a paid service but it saves you money in the long run. If anyone has any questions PM me and I can tell you more.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Injuries man... seems like another fighter pulling out everyday.

I think Lesnar is just trying to make his WWE storyline look real with peaking interest out there.

I'd like to see BJ just go back to 155.He just doesn't look so great at 170 rather it being outsized or his conditioning seeming to suffer more at welterweight.At 155 seems like he has to work to get there a little more and has to put in more effort.[/QUOTE]

I regards to Lesnar, I dont think he cares about his WWE storyline looking better the only thing he cares about is $$$.

creepy did indeed look slower than ive seen him before. he looked off, especially in the 1st and 3rd rounds. Im really hoping jb kos johnson cold. that dude rubs me wrong every time i read or hear an interview.

edit- mm outfought him soundly.
I had also read something that creepy added a bit more weight because he thought it would accentuate an advantage he had in the first fight.

[quote name='shotgunshine']I hope they cut Garcia. I personally have nothing against the guy, but his fighting style is atrocious to watch. Im also pissed because hes gotten so many decisions that he never should have gotten. He is simply not a UFC caliber fighter...Dana loves guys that fight like that though so its possible he gets one more chance. I still didn't understand how he was the betting favorite. If I was a betting man(and maybe i'll be one soon) I would've bet the house on Grice.

Chase, or anyone else, what are some good betting website(s) yall use?[/QUOTE]

I use 5dimes. I hear Pinnacle is good, too. :)

I had been pretty angry about Neer-Pyle. My entire idea relied on Neer's ability to eat punches—and Pyle is not a guy with heavy hands. I figured Pyle would get Neer to his back, as Neer's TDD is awful and his ability to get back to his feet is mediocre. But, I think Neer has a better guard and bottom game to Pyle's top game. The fight went as I saw it with the added bonus of Neer actually being able to get back to his feet. Neer even hurt Pyle. I did not foresee that this would be the fight where Neer's chin finally deteriorated to where he could get flat-out knocked-out. I'm more disappointed in myself than the money I loss. Oh well. Live and learn. My system is far from perfect. Still new to betting. I'll have to make a note in the files of fighters who rely on their chin and have mediocre standing striking defense.

Also: Jose Aldo is injured. What about Erik Koch-Korean Zombie for interim title? Too dangerous to eliminate title contenders?

And yeah, Paz, Johnson had some interesting comments for the post-fight press, which included, "Joe: Baby, I love you. You're sexy. But, I can't wait to hit you in the face."

I think Benavidez wrecks him, which is good.

Oi6HQ.png

Thanks again, boxing, you corrupt, reliable farce. But, money is money, I guess. $$$$

Waiting for the scorecards because I'm just not sure where Bradley won the strike battle other than the 2 rounds Pacquiao was resting.

[quote name='ced']Waiting for the scorecards because I'm just not sure where Bradley won the strike battle other than the 2 rounds Pacquiao was resting.[/QUOTE]
e52aa504aea157951baa58c3db3a2.jpg

I'm watching the post-fight presser right not. I am fucking dumbfounded.

[quote name='blueweltall']Lets do a rematch on Nov 10th! Yeah this fight isn't rigged. How can you know that date far ahead is on a Saturday?:roll:[/QUOTE]

Both fighters are signed to the same promoter, so it's most likely a rematch clause that was stated on the contract. But I definitely agree, this fight's outcome is very, very fishy. Pacman won the fight no doubt. I had it scored 10-2 Pacman.

This is why people hate boxing. Im not even mad..im still stunned...like it hasen't sunk in yet. I gave Bradley 3 rounds...how in the hell did two of the three judges have it 115-113...and even the judge that gave it to Pacquiao had the same score...just unbelievable.

[quote name='-GoodFella-']Both fighters are signed to the same promoter, so it's most likely a rematch clause that was stated on the contract. But I definitely agree, this fight's outcome is very, very fishy. Pacman won the fight no doubt. I had it scored 10-2 Pacman.[/QUOTE]

Okay that kind of make sense but this fight is still rigged.

[quote name='shotgunshine']This is why people hate boxing. Im not even mad..im still stunned...like it hasen't sunk in yet. I gave Bradley 3 rounds...how in the hell did two of the three judges have it 115-113...and even the judge that gave it to Pacquiao had the same score...just unbelievable.[/QUOTE]
Same here.

Bradley thinks he broke his ankle. That was a nasty twist he had in round 3?

edit: AHAHAHA...Holy fuck, they have a giant fake ticket for the rematch on 11/10 behind Bradley.

[quote name='dohdough']Same here.

Bradley thinks he broke his ankle. That was a nasty twist he had in round 3?

edit: AHAHAHA...Holy fuck, they have a giant fake ticket for the rematch on 11/10 behind Bradley.[/QUOTE]

WOW!:lol:

I won almost three times the amount of money I lost on Neer—which was one-third of the money I won by betting Chiesa to win, by SUB, and inside the distance.

Pretty decent start to June.

And I'm happy because the Bradley decision further shows that boxing is a joke.

[quote name='Chase']I use 5dimes. I hear Pinnacle is good, too. :)

I had been pretty angry about Neer-Pyle. My entire idea relied on Neer's ability to eat punches—and Pyle is not a guy with heavy hands. I figured Pyle would get Neer to his back, as Neer's TDD is awful and his ability to get back to his feet is mediocre. But, I think Neer has a better guard and bottom game to Pyle's top game. The fight went as I saw it with the added bonus of Neer actually being able to get back to his feet. Neer even hurt Pyle. I did not foresee that this would be the fight where Neer's chin finally deteriorated to where he could get flat-out knocked-out. I'm more disappointed in myself than the money I loss. Oh well. Live and learn. My system is far from perfect. Still new to betting. I'll have to make a note in the files of fighters who rely on their chin and have mediocre standing striking defense.

Also: Jose Aldo is injured. What about Erik Koch-Korean Zombie for interim title? Too dangerous to eliminate title contenders?

And yeah, Paz, Johnson had some interesting comments for the post-fight press, which included, "Joe: Baby, I love you. You're sexy. But, I can't wait to hit you in the face."

I think Benavidez wrecks him, which is good.[/QUOTE]

Thanks..i'll check that one out.

Another injury? This is insane...there all big fights to... off the top of my head theres Wandy-Belfort, Stann-Lombard, Shogun-Silva, Bahadurzada-Alves...and now Aldo...it sucks to be Joe Silva right now.

I doubt it but hopefully since its Manny Pacquiao being screwed they start doing something about these horrible decisions. The word robbery is thrown around way too much for fights that were semi close...Pacquiao-Marquez 3 comes to mind. While I think Marquez should've won and was mad he didn't, at least you can make an argument Pacquiao won. But this, this wasen't even close. Off the top of my head some recent, awful decisions i've seen are:

Manny Pacquiao-Tim Bradley, obviously

Gabriel Campillo-Tavoris Cloud

Richard Abril-Brandon Rios

Erisandy Lara-Paul Williams

I think the only action that was taken was the judges for the Lara-Williams fight. They were suspended. Other then that, people get outraged then its forgotten about until the next robbery and the process repeats itself. They need to start holding these judges accountable. Revoke there license, dig in to see i there is corruption going on...SOMETHING. Theres bad decision in MMA as well but imo, it seems to happen more in boxing.

[quote name='shotgunshine']I doubt it but hopefully since its Manny Pacquiao being screwed they start doing something about these horrible decisions. The word robbery is thrown around way too much for fights that were semi close...Pacquiao-Marquez 3 comes to mind. While I think Marquez should've won and was mad he didn't, at least you can make an argument Pacquiao won. But this, this wasen't even close. Off the top of my head some recent, awful decisions i've seen are:

I think the only action that was taken was the judges for the Lara-Williams fight. They were suspended. Other then that, people get outraged then its forgotten about until the next robbery and the process repeats itself. They need to start holding these judges accountable. Revoke there license, dig in to see i there is corruption going on...SOMETHING. Theres bad decision in MMA as well but imo, it seems to happen more in boxing.[/QUOTE]
After Mayweather-Ortiz, I keep saying to my gf, "I wonder what crazy shit will go down this time." Tonight alone, you had the second undercard fight that was a snooze fest until Bailey hits Jones with dragon punch to the moon to end the fight. Then you see Arce's match get a no-contest after a 4-hit foul combo with a low-blow, headbutt, punch to back, and one to the back of the head.

I'm not going to lie though, Pacquiao hasn't had a good fight since Cotto and despite the win, you can tell that he's been slowing way the fuck down. The only thing saving him is his chin and his fists. There's no way that Mayweather loses to Pacquiao.

[quote name='shotgunshine']This is why people hate boxing.[/QUOTE]

If people hate boxing so much why do they continue to order and watch it? I hate Soccer, doesn't mean I go out of my way to watch it and nitpick the flaws. That's dumb.

This doesn't only happen in boxing, this kind of corruption happens in all sports. The only difference is boxing is showing it to you right in your face.

Boxing has been this way for decades, why are people acting like this is something new? It doesn't matter anyway, we had a good fight and the people KNOW who won the fight. That's the most important thing because 20 years from now people will still talk about Pacquiao getting robbed just like Whitaker got robbed against Chavez.

The corruption is not going away period, and don't think MMA isn't as corrupt as boxing especially with all the fixed fights that used to happen in Pride and Pancrase.

[quote name='shotgunshine']I doubt it but hopefully since its Manny Pacquiao being screwed they start doing something about these horrible decisions. The word robbery is thrown around way too much for fights that were semi close...Pacquiao-Marquez 3 comes to mind. While I think Marquez should've won and was mad he didn't, at least you can make an argument Pacquiao won. But this, this wasen't even close. Off the top of my head some recent, awful decisions i've seen are:

I think the only action that was taken was the judges for the Lara-Williams fight. They were suspended. Other then that, people get outraged then its forgotten about until the next robbery and the process repeats itself. They need to start holding these judges accountable. Revoke there license, dig in to see i there is corruption going on...SOMETHING. Theres bad decision in MMA as well but imo, it seems to happen more in boxing.[/QUOTE]

Clottey vs Cotto can be added to that list. Pretty much what Kirby said though. Boxing matches getting rigged isn't that new. I think what we're all most pissed about is how OBVIOUS this one was.

I'm not a huge boxing enthusiast but I do like to watch the big names. Shit like this makes me happy not to be a die hard fan. I would probably lose my mind if I were committed to something like this.

Back to MMA. Three Champions out due to injuries and three matches for Interim Belts. I feel Interim Belts are so fucking useless. I understand something needs to be done in the mean time, but I just wish they went about it a better way. As for what may be better, I have no idea.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']If people hate boxing so much why do they continue to order and watch it? I hate Soccer, doesn't mean I go out of my way to watch it and nitpick the flaws. That's dumb.

This doesn't only happen in boxing, this kind of corruption happens in all sports. The only difference is boxing is showing it to you right in your face.

Boxing has been this way for decades, why are people acting like this is something new? It doesn't matter anyway, we had a good fight and the people KNOW who won the fight. That's the most important thing because 20 years from now people will still talk about Pacquiao getting robbed just like Whitaker got robbed against Chavez.

The corruption is not going away period, and don't think MMA isn't as corrupt as boxing especially with all the fixed fights that used to happen in Pride and Pancrase.[/QUOTE]

LOL..I dont watch boxing to nitpick at its flaws. Having an absolute robbery of a fight is more then a ''flaw.'' Also, other then Mayweather and Pacquaio, many people aren't ordering boxing ppv's.

I know robberies in boxing is nothing new. Its been happening for a long time and it still sucks. Theres been such a string of bad ones lately that im getting tired of it, and it would be nice to see something done about it(there wont be though)

[quote name='ced']Stunner of the decade as somehow Bradley got the split decision to beat Pacquiao.[/QUOTE]
Just........ Saw the fight and had problems with it towards the end of the 12th round so went to sleep figuring Manny had comfortably won a decision.Wake up and somehow the judges gave it to Bradley.......Seemed like it was an easy decision to me.

Completely factoring out corruption for a millisecond, I think this is the premier case highlighting the fundamental flaws of the 10-point system. Primarily, that somebody that out punched his opponent by damn near 100 punches in a full 12 rounds of boxing can still lose the fight if judges feel he didn't do enough in certain rounds.

I would make Compubox stats a factor in decision making. I think some would argue that it would make incentive for more amateur style point fighting, but if the "professional" system can muck it up like Pacquaio-Bradley and Lara-Williams then I wouldn't mind.

I would like to say that my gut instinct was "I would love to see boxing with PRIDE rules." But with 4 times the rounds, I don't know if there is a plausible way to reward a strong finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ced']Completely factoring out corruption for a millisecond, I think this is the premier case highlighting the fundamental flaws of the 10-point system. Primarily, that somebody that out punched his opponent by damn near 100 punches in a full 12 rounds of boxing can still lose the fight if judges feel he didn't do enough in certain rounds.

I would make Compubox stats a factor in decision making. I think some would argue that it would make incentive for more amateur style point fighting, but if the "professional" system can muck it up like Pacquaio-Bradley and Lara-Williams then I wouldn't mind.

I would like to say that my gut instinct was "I would love to see boxing with PRIDE rules."[/QUOTE]

Soccer kick! I am in!

My final thoughts on boxing: Read about the livebetting for Bradley by decision going into the final round. Wish I had known about that line. That potential profit makes my Bradley winnings look inadequate. Hmm.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Back to MMA. Three Champions out due to injuries and three matches for Interim Belts. I feel Interim Belts are so fucking useless. I understand something needs to be done in the mean time, but I just wish they went about it a better way. As for what may be better, I have no idea.[/QUOTE]

I have no complaints about interim titles. They add prestige and value to the number one contender while the champion heals from their injury. However, I do feel it's unfair to the number one contender that his title shot becomes another number one contender fight. Fighters are paid to fight—but I respect the decisions of people like Carlos Condit who beat up someone tough like Nick Diaz and wait for a real title fight instead of defending the interim title.

[quote name='Chase']I have no complaints about interim titles. They add prestige and value to the number one contender while the champion heals from their injury. However, I do feel it's unfair to the number one contender that his title shot becomes another number one contender fight. Fighters are paid to fight—but I respect the decisions of people like Carlos Condit who beat up someone tough like Nick Diaz and wait for a real title fight instead of defending the interim title.[/QUOTE]

This is probably my biggest gripe. You bring up a good point with Carlos Condit. Had Nick Diaz not screwed up though, there would have been a rematch. I can't even imagine how messed up it would have been if that rematch happened and Diaz would have won instead. After all the shit Condit had to put up with, his decision to wait for a real title shot is well deserved.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']This is probably my biggest gripe. You bring up a good point with Carlos Condit. Had Nick Diaz not screwed up though, there would have been a rematch. I can't even imagine how messed up it would have been if that rematch happened and Diaz would have won instead. After all the shit Condit had to put up with, his decision to wait for a real title shot is well deserved.[/QUOTE]

You make a good point. And I am thankful that Condit didn't have to endure a rematch because some guy's fans wouldn't stop crying. One of a few times where I felt disgusted with the sport.

Apparently, Mauricio Rua said he would rather Zuffa fire him than fight Glover Teixeira. I read this over the weekend but the weekend was already backed with news. Today, some fan asked Dana why he "put Shogun on blast." Dana replied with a more crass version of "Would you rather I lie to you whiny babies?"

Dana has a good point. Gotta love his honesty. Shogun ducking Teixeira adds about the same credibility as a Teixeira win over Shogun. Counting the annihilation of Kingsbury, how many more wins does Teixeira need before a title shot? After Jones beats Hendo by R4 SUB, the division pretty empty. Perhaps Jones-Teixeira on the first card of 2013?

I don't know if Shogun is really ducking Glover that hard, where is the proof other then Mr. White that Shogun said he'd rather be cut then fight Glover? When has Rua been known as somebody who would try to avoid fights, let alone saying so something so strong...I don't buy it unless Rua's camp says that they wanted no part of Glover for whatever reason. On a sidenote that will probably get me a lot of heat (like almost everything I say hehe), I don't even think Glover is that good.

Not gonna dive into the speculation pool. Just going off what Dana said. I think it's more plausible that his management declined the offer than Shogun refusing the fight. However, no one truly knows.

I don't have a file on Teixeira, so my opinion is basically what I remember from his fights with Kingsbury, Rodriguez, and Eastman. I'd love to watch his decision loss to Ed Herman. That would offer a decent perspective.

And the fight with Vera should offer a good perspective regarding Shogun's current place as a fighter.

Glover's manager:

“I just sent a message to the UFC. I’m waiting for their call”, Heller said. “(Turning down a fight with Glover) it’s not true at all”.

Julio said they’ll wait for the UFC before making further comments, and the decision to fight Glover, or any other opponent, is in Shogun and his coach Andre Dida’s hands.

“We have to wait for the names whey’ll offer, and then we’ll see what we do."

[quote name='Chase']Not gonna dive into the speculation pool. Just going off what Dana said. I think it's more plausible that his management declined the offer than Shogun refusing the fight. However, no one truly knows.

I don't have a file on Teixeira, so my opinion is basically what I remember from his fights with Kingsbury, Rodriguez, and Eastman. I'd love to watch his decision loss to Ed Herman. That would offer a decent perspective.

And the fight with Vera should offer a good perspective regarding Shogun's current place as a fighter.[/QUOTE]

Vera isn't high level and will be murdered in a round or two, at max. It won't do much as far as "Shogun needs a title shot, he just killed Vera!" but it will be a good win for him while he stays active and hopefully injury free for a day.

Brandon Vera used to be one of my favorite fighters when I first started watching UFC. I remember his Muay Thai looking really good back then. I also remember him saying he wanted to hold belts in both HW and LHW :lol: Maybe he should have just focused on one hehe jk. After that though he started looking real mediocre at best and I stopped caring much about him. I pretty much agree that he will get put out by Shogun.

Was Vera just really not that great and overrated, or did something happen to the guy? He showed so much promise early in his UFC career. He wasen't beating the best fighters or anything(Just Eilers, Fabiano Scherner) but he did blast Frank Mir out quickly but even that may not mean much as Mir had gotten TKO'd by Marcio Cruz earlier that year. He also showed good aggression and was one of those guys "that went for it." I haven't seen that in any of his fights since Mir. I still cant believe with his recent performance's, that hes now in the main event for the Fox show. Injuries or not thats still crazy. He'll probably get beat bad by Shogun, but hes got nothing to lose so hopefully he'll go all out.

He's a fighter and got robbed pretty bad against Couture, but he has always been a mediocre fighter for the most part. His striking is decent but he doesn't grapple well (in spite of a BJJ Black Belt) and even his striking can be exposed really. He is a game journeyman but he gets blasted out by anybody good...I would probably keep him around in the UFC just to give prospects somebody to beat and feed him some Tim Eliot-level guys so keeping him around is justified.

Back in the day he could have possibly been the Heavyweight champion on a good night during the Syliva/Arlovski era's.Its just more of the level of fighters having gotten much better in the past 6 years and fighters having improved a lot.Sitting out a year with contract negotiations wanting bigger paydays didn't do him any favors either.Seems like hes still a good mid level guy to me.

Mid level at best, perhaps. Tim Eliot was busting him up in that last round though, and I think that's a big indicator of just how good he is. He can be decent at times but even guys like Thiago Silva, who aren't elite themselves, wiped the floor with him.

Vera lost to Tim Sylvia's lay and pray. That was the only win Sylvia had after a UD loss to Couture and before a sub loss to Big Nog, a sub loss to Fedor, and a KO loss to Ray Mercer. If losing to a guy that 3 top levels and a balloon with fists beat doesn't solidify Vera's legacy as a gatekeeper to the top level at heavyweight, I don't know.

[quote name='shotgunshine']LOL..I dont watch boxing to nitpick at its flaws. Having an absolute robbery of a fight is more then a ''flaw.'' Also, other then Mayweather and Pacquaio, many people aren't ordering boxing ppv's.

I know robberies in boxing is nothing new. Its been happening for a long time and it still sucks. Theres been such a string of bad ones lately that im getting tired of it, and it would be nice to see something done about it(there wont be though)[/QUOTE]

We'll find out Sept 15th.

Canelo vs. Ortiz on Sho PPV, and Chavez Jr vs. Sergio Martinez on HBO PPV. We'll see if either show doesn't sell well.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']We'll find out Sept 15th.

Canelo vs. Ortiz on Sho PPV, and Chavez Jr vs. Sergio Martinez on HBO PPV. We'll see if either show doesn't sell well.[/QUOTE]

Those are actually two damn good fights...well at lest Canelo and Ortiz is. Is Chavez Jr.-Martinez confirmed? Until Chavez Jr. is in the ring with Sergio,then I wont believe it until I see it.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Mid level at best, perhaps. Tim Eliot was busting him up in that last round though, and I think that's a big indicator of just how good he is. He can be decent at times but even guys like Thiago Silva, who aren't elite themselves, wiped the floor with him.[/QUOTE]

I think you mean Elliot Marshall, but yes, that was a humiliating performance by Vera. Especially considering he said he wasen't just bringing back the old Brandon Vera but Brandon Vera 2.0. Since he was facing Marshall, who really isn't good, I bought into the hype. Instead he did nothing for 2 rounds, then got rocked, and nearly got submitted. If I remember correctly, Marshall actually broke his arm.

Yes, I came in here to say I meant Eliot Marshall. Vera is nothing at HW, he's too small, and at LHW is still not the biggest or the strongest. His striking can be beaten and he wrestles/grapples poorly, so that doesn't scream all-star to me.

The amount of injuries happening in the UFC is staggering. Joining the list is Big Nog. Shawn Jordan replaces him against Cheick Kongo at UFC 149. If I were superstitious, I'd say Calgary is a cursed city.

Who will be next to join the injured army? Faber? Pegado? Kongo? Bahadurzada? Court McGee-Nick Ring could wind up being the main event. Or, even worse, Ryan Jimmo—who I think is outclassed in the UFC and so boring I'd rather fuck a wet mattress—could headline with Anthony Perosh. Woo-hoo!

God damn injury plague. Chase don't even joke about Jimmo main eventing. Dude has a 15 fight win streak, but for fuck's sake he couldn't finish Wilson Gouveia and he either wins or gets smashed into oblivion.

[quote name='Chase']

Who will be next to join the injured army? Faber? Pegado? Kongo? Bahadurzada? Court McGee-Nick Ring could wind up being the main event. Or, even worse, Ryan Jimmo—who I think is outclassed in the UFC and so boring I'd rather fuck a wet mattress—could headline with Anthony Perosh. Woo-hoo![/QUOTE]
I'm still curious as to where Jimmo will be able to keep a job in the UFC.Sure he might have the long win streak but hes a huuge late starter and isnt all that active at times.

Jimmo will get smashed by anybody that's bordering high level. His biggest wins in his streak are UDs vs Soukoudjou and Gouveia, neither exactly screaming legit contender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back