MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

Anyone else enjoy the Diaz/GSP conference call?

Dana White: Blah, blah, blah Nick Diaz is late blah blah blah.
Nick Diaz: Hello.......fucker....

Just a few more days for GSP and Diaz. I was looking at the gallery of GSP vs Condit and man I didn't realize how much damage Condit had actually done. GSP looked like he got hit by a bus. I really hate that they're putting Hendricks against Condit because if Hendricks loses, his only chance at a title shot will probably be gone forever. Dana White and his bullshit matchups is starting to become really aggravating.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Just a few more days for GSP and Diaz. I was looking at the gallery of GSP vs Condit and man I didn't realize how much damage Condit had actually done. GSP looked like he got hit by a bus. I really hate that they're putting Hendricks against Condit because if Hendricks loses, his only chance at a title shot will probably be gone forever. Dana White and his bullshit matchups is starting to become really aggravating.[/QUOTE]

I'm a Diaz fan but Hendricks should be the one fighting for the title this PPV.

Think of it this way. Hendricks wins. Diaz somehow pulls out a win and grabs the title......Hendricks will be the next champ after.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Just a few more days for GSP and Diaz. I was looking at the gallery of GSP vs Condit and man I didn't realize how much damage Condit had actually done. GSP looked like he got hit by a bus. I really hate that they're putting Hendricks against Condit because if Hendricks loses, his only chance at a title shot will probably be gone forever. Dana White and his bullshit matchups is starting to become really aggravating.[/QUOTE]

What people somehow forget is that GSP hadn't fought in almost 2 years when that fight happened. It was an incredibly tough situation for him because with that kind of layoff, he definitely deserved a tune up fight. But by being the champion...and being GSP...people just expect him to come in and be amazing. I'll be shocked if we don't see a much sharper and relaxed GSP in this fight.

Bump for the thread, the main great is going to be great! If you are looking for a good place to watch it PM me.

Main card (my picks)
Weight Class
Welterweight Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Nick Diaz (GSP)
Welterweight Johny Hendricks vs. Carlos Condit (Condit)
Welterweight Jake Ellenberger vs. Nate Marquardt (Jake)
Middleweight Nick Ring vs. Chris Camozzi (Ring)
Lightweight Mike Ricci vs. Colin Fletcher (Ricci)

I only caught the last three fights but they were all great in my book. GSP vs. Diaz went as expected. GSP was active on the ground but never really had Diaz rocked or in deep trouble and Diaz couldn't do anything from his back.

Things got a little iffy at the end of the third round when I thought GSP was tagged a few times.

Diaz is a weird guy. Swinging at GSP after the bell each round. Then in the 4th when he knows he is down he starts doing that taunting with his hands down walking around in a circle. I assume he is trying to bait GSP into a brawl but it obviously wasn't going to work.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']What people somehow forget is that GSP hadn't fought in almost 2 years when that fight happened. It was an incredibly tough situation for him because with that kind of layoff, he definitely deserved a tune up fight. But by being the champion...and being GSP...people just expect him to come in and be amazing. I'll be shocked if we don't see a much sharper and relaxed GSP in this fight.[/QUOTE]

In somewhat of a relation to this talking point,

Sorta surprising that no one has yet to give a mention of how GSP lost a ton of steam heading into R3. Diaz- Ya know, the guy with terrible TDD- was stopping takedowns and hitting GSP with shots. Of course, GSP was never in any real danger, but that won't be the case if/when Hendricks stops GSP from grinding out a decision.

I'm still not 100-percent sold on Hendricks, and think GSP will keep him at range and jab him into oblivion, but there is no way GSP will be able to take punches from Hendricks. GSP is my favorite fighter—but he has always been a little bit of a headcase. When he took a jab to the eye from Shields is an example of this. He was just freaking out and if he didn't have such a solid corner he might have been in trouble. (See: If he had BJ Penn's corner, he would have been in trouble.) I will say GSP by DEC but Hendricks by TKO is also likely given how GSP reacts under fire.

And I have the strangest feeling that he is beginning a decline. Just a gut thing. Similar feeling I had before Edwards upset Neer, Forte upset Etim, Pettis upset Cerrone, Brown upset Swick, Garza upset Hominick, and a few other times.

Last edited by a moderator:
man, diaz took one hell of a beating. he probably should have taken another fight before jumping into a title shot after a year lay off.

I really just hope this is the last we hear of Nick Diaz. I'm sure Dana will be glad to be rid of him after this too. He got his title shot, proved that he's not even close, and now needs to move on. If he wants to skip media days and mock his opponent who just thoroughly trashed him, then go have fun with that immature shit somewhere else. They don't need it in the UFC.

I wasn't surprised at all by the outcome of the GSP/Diaz fight. George just looks so much physically bigger and stronger than Diaz and he manhandled him just like I thought he would.

Diaz isn't a chump though, and what surprised me the most coming away from this fight was just the lack of offense from Nick. I don't know if the credit should go to GSP for stifling him or what but literally the only time I'd see him put combos together was when GSP had him in the muay thai clinch.

Was really hoping for Diaz to pull the upset with some sort of submission, but GSP and Co knew how to defend back roll into something.

Before the fight there was picture of GSP and Marcus Almeida "Buchecha". Until then I thought that Diaz could maybe slip something in, but the way GSP committed to his wrestling showed that he took a lot of lessons from Buchecha on how to stop Diaz's ground game.

[quote name='GUNNM']don't defend take downs
yell bitch!
???
lose fight[/QUOTE]

He defended more takedowns successfully than any opponent GSP has tried to wrestlerape before.

GSP. p4p most boring champion!

[quote name='Calipso']He defended more takedowns successfully than any opponent GSP has tried to wrestlerape before.

GSP. p4p most boring champion![/QUOTE]

I didn't find anything boring about watching GSP turn some scrub who claimed he was going to knock him the fuck out and take his belt into a helpless baby. Seemed pretty damn entertaining to me. :lol:

Go ask Diaz why he didn't show up to fight.

[quote name='tylerh1701']^Dominic Cruz would like a word with you.[/QUOTE]

I don't find Cruz boring. I find his ability to always get hurt and never defending his title boring. I like the figher but he should be stripped.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I didn't find anything boring about watching GSP turn some scrub who claimed he was going to knock him the fuck out and take his belt into a helpless baby. Seemed pretty damn entertaining to me. :lol:

Go ask Diaz why he didn't show up to fight.[/QUOTE]

Clearly you are a GSP fan. You enjoy watching UD after UD that is your thing....fine. I'm not a just bleed fan. I want to see GSP take a risk and secure a sub or two on someone. GSP had SOOOOOO many opportunities to finish Diaz and he didn't. He rode out the UD as he always does. Boringly.

I'm glad I didn't pay for the fight and watched it via stream. I knew how it would play out.

[quote name='Calipso']I don't find Cruz boring. I find his ability to always get hurt and never defending his title boring. I like the figher but he should be stripped.

Clearly you are a GSP fan. You enjoy watching UD after UD that is your thing....fine. I'm not a just bleed fan. I want to see GSP take a risk and secure a sub or two on someone. GSP had SOOOOOO many opportunities to finish Diaz and he didn't. He rode out the UD as he always does. Boringly.

I'm glad I didn't pay for the fight and watched it via stream. I knew how it would play out.[/QUOTE]

Why should GSP take a risk if Diaz isn't taking a risk? The guy losing the fight should be the one going out swinging for the fences when he's down 3 rounds to none. I like seeing finishes too. But I will never understand why people blame the winning fighter for not providing one. I agree with what a lot of MMA writers are saying in that GSP needs someone to push him to fight.

Because as is, he's just finding holes in these guys games, and exploiting them. It's incredibly smart of him...but he makes these guys look like unworthy opponents...which gives the appearance of a "boring fight". Maybe Hendricks is the guy that actually challenges GSP and makes him dig deep. I'm just not going to get down on him for beating these "challengers" by the easiest means possible. It's on them to make it a tough fight.

[quote name='Calipso']GSP had SOOOOOO many opportunities to finish Diaz and he didn't. He rode out the UD as he always does. Boringly.
[/QUOTE]

When, exactly? I hope you're not talking about when Diaz would roll on all fours and give up his back, because if you think GSP was going to be able to get his hooks in and sub Diaz, you're wrong.

Annnd the Diaz camp is now whining that a potential 0.9 lb discrepency is the reason Diaz lost the fight. Can we just cut this asshole already?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/diaz-camp-cites-quebec-commission-205536648--mma.html

I'm not even sure of the point they're trying to make. There's already a one pound margin of error for the scales. So, the assertion that the Quebec commission allows up to 170.9 seems irrelevant. Unless it's also implying that 171.9 would still be counted as 171 (which isn't a point the article or Diaz's "representative" makes). Even so, that is a ridiculously flimsy argument. Are they seriously suggesting that GSP planned to weigh 0.9 lbs over, because he KNEW that the commission would allow it? Now, Diaz's camp is demanding an immediate rematch or for GSP to vacate the belt. fucking ridiculous. CUT...HIM...DANA.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Annnd the Diaz camp is now whining that a potential 0.9 lb discrepency is the reason Diaz lost the fight. Can we just cut this asshole already?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/diaz-camp-cites-quebec-commission-205536648--mma.html

I'm not even sure of the point they're trying to make. There's already a one pound margin of error for the scales. So, the assertion that the Quebec commission allows up to 170.9 seems irrelevant. Unless it's also implying that 171.9 would still be counted as 171 (which isn't a point the article or Diaz's "representative" makes). Even so, that is a ridiculously flimsy argument. Are they seriously suggesting that GSP planned to weigh 0.9 lbs over, because he KNEW that the commission would allow it? Now, Diaz's camp is demanding an immediate rematch or for GSP to vacate the belt. fucking ridiculous. CUT...HIM...DANA.[/QUOTE]

Jesus Christ Nick needs to just go away. I would LOVE to see Dana cut him.

Not really related at all, but I had never seen the GSP Nexus 7 commercial before a couple nights ago, when someone linked to it in discussing GSP's acting chops for his upcoming role in Captain America 2. I found it hilarious, just thought I'd share in case others here hadn't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xijcwbg8CGQ

I respect the man as a fighter and understand he grew up in less than stellar conditions. However the excuse of everything and anything bad that had happened in Nick Diaz's UFC career isn't his fault has been used to the point of becoming parody in my eyes.

I only get to watch it on Hulu, so I'm not sure when it will be up on there. But yeah, I hate Bubba. If he does actually fight, I'm hoping he gets his ass kicked.

Gustafsson is out for this weekends card. His training partner, Ilir Latifi, will be fighting Mousasi instead.

[quote name='tylerh1701']I only get to watch it on Hulu, so I'm not sure when it will be up on there. But yeah, I hate Bubba. If he does actually fight, I'm hoping he gets his ass kicked.[/QUOTE]

When you watch it, you won't be disappointed. :lol:

I'll be honest. On one hand, I don't want him to jump yet another queue to get yet another title shot or deal with his pre, during and post fight antics. On the other hand, I would love to see him get whomped by Silva when he tries the "Come at me, bro" hands down taunt.

[quote name='ced']On the other hand, I would love to see him get whomped by Silva when he tries the "Come at me, bro" hands down taunt.[/QUOTE]

LOL...gotta say that would be pretty funny.

[quote name='Irukandji']When you watch it, you won't be disappointed. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it very much. :D Glad Dana made the right decisions on the semifinal matchups as well.

Watched this week's episode on a whim. Does Bubba always look like he's about to fear-shit his pants during fights or was that specifically for Hall?

So... I take it that no one saw UFC on Fuel 9?

I didn't, but a.) I didn't have time to do research because I had just come back from Maui, and b.) I needed to catch up with some sleep.

(Plus, I have been on an extended break away from betting.)

I did catch Invicta, tho. Michelle Waterson put on a Fight of the Year contender with Jessica Penne. Y'all gotta watch that if you didn't. Invicta is the second best MMA promotion right now.

Let's get this thread going again.

Matt Mitrione was suspended because he thinks its sick for a man to lie in order to beat up on women. I have lost all respect for UFC for this. Trannies are disgusting and a result of rampant drug use and an abusive childhood. Because Mitrione has an opinion that isnt all lovey dovey accept everyone for who they are even though they are borderline psychopath? What a sick world we live in. I wish they would let that tranny in UFC to fight some men and get his ass handed to him.

[quote name='musha666']Matt Mitrione was suspended because he thinks its sick for a man to lie in order to beat up on women. I have lost all respect for UFC for this. Trannies are disgusting and a result of rampant drug use and an abusive childhood. Because Mitrione has an opinion that isnt all lovey dovey accept everyone for who they are even though they are borderline psychopath? What a sick world we live in. I wish they would let that tranny in UFC to fight some men and get his ass handed to him.[/QUOTE]

U MAD BRO? If you're fighting for a company that supports Gay/Lesbian/Transgenders you probably shouldn't go on a hateful tirade about it. Luckily for you, you're just a troll on the internet and you won't lose any paychecks for being a bigot.

[quote name='musha666']Matt Mitrione was suspended because he thinks its sick for a man to lie in order to beat up on women. I have lost all respect for UFC for this. Trannies are disgusting and a result of rampant drug use and an abusive childhood. Because Mitrione has an opinion that isnt all lovey dovey accept everyone for who they are even though they are borderline psychopath? What a sick world we live in. I wish they would let that tranny in UFC to fight some men and get his ass handed to him.[/QUOTE]

Matt is allowed to feel like that (as are you) but he probably should have kept his opinions to himself, or kept them within an inner circle of people who feel the same way as him. I think he would have been fine if he said "He/She shouldn't be able to fight women" and cut it off right there, but the "lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak" comment really left the UFC with no choice but to act.

There's really not a lot of positives to come from sharing your personal opinions publicly, specifically via Twitter, Facebook, etc. I don't work for a major company like the UFC or anything, but if I put racist or homophobic comments on my Twitter account and someone found out about them, I'm sure I'd be in just as much trouble.

I just had to go to sherdog to check that out. I don't think a transgender should be fighting women, but the way that Matt put it was very over the top. If he just stayed with his opinion about it being unfair to the other women and why he thinks so it would've been fine, but he went to far to not have the UFC make somesort of statement or have a reaction.

He is suspended, but honestly he wouldn't be fighting for at least 4 months anyways, so the suspension probably won't have an affect on him.

Pretty par for the course for UFC. Unless you're on Dana White's whitelist or Dana White himself, you're going to get dinged for stepping out of line on anything controversial.

[quote name='ced']Pretty par for the course for UFC. Unless you're on Dana White's whitelist or Dana White himself, you're going to get dinged for stepping out of line on anything controversial.[/QUOTE]

How can you not see it as a no win situation for the UFC? If they DIDN'T give Mitrione some kind of punishment, people would be all over their asses for being "insensitive" and "barbaric". You act like Dana wanted to suspend Meathead. As others have said, pretty much any company would have done the same thing. I can acknowledge that Dana has said plenty of stupid things in his time as well...but he also catches huge shit for it. It wouldn't make any sense for him to suspend himself, lol.

[quote name='Dokstarr']I don't think a transgender should be fighting women, but the way that Matt put it was very over the top. If he just stayed with his opinion about it being unfair to the other women and why he thinks so it would've been fine, but he went to far to not have the UFC make somesort of statement or have a reaction.[/QUOTE]This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the entire situation as well. If Mitrione would've expressed his opinion in a more tasteful/less zealous way, I think he would've been fine. Joe Rogan, another employee of the UFC, has gone on record multiple times as to why he's against having a transgender person fight the opposite sex and he didn't lose his job. But he also made his points very clear and concise. The most obvious reason against this is that men are distinctly born physically superior to women. This is a fact. No amount of surgery and hormones can change that. And before this post-op transgender woman can even step in the cage with another female, she already has an unfair advantage.

I can't argue about Mitrione forcing UFC's response, which is justified. I was pointing out that if Dana or one of "his boys" was at the heart of the discussion, the consequences would have been less severe.

[quote name='ced']I can't argue about Mitrione forcing UFC's response, which is justified. I was pointing out that if Dana or one of "his boys" was at the heart of the discussion, the consequences would have been less severe.[/QUOTE]

I really believe that Dana and any of the other higher ups wouldn't be that dumb to say all that out in public during an interview.

Also, I don't think the consequences are much. Suspend him for 6 months? He wouldn't even fight before that anyways.

[quote name='ced']I can't argue about Mitrione forcing UFC's response, which is justified. I was pointing out that if Dana or one of "his boys" was at the heart of the discussion, the consequences would have been less severe.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. My understanding is the ufc is fond of mitrione, id think a fighter sitting on their shitlist wouldve been cut following the appalling way mitrione spoke about the transgender fighter.

Opinion is fine, calling someone sick and disgusting is not.

I do agree that fallon should not be fighting women because I think she has a physiological advantage, however there are licensing commissions for a reason and she was licensed to fight.

Thats is my opinion I dont need to berate her or an entire segment of people to state it.

Well,,,if Dana said it, I think the consequences would just be different. Like I said, it makes no sense for him to suspend himself. But at the same time, he does more interviews and is out in the public much more than Matt Mitrione. He would have been absolutely lit up by the media if he made remarks like that.

Now, if you're insinuating that if a champion (ie. GSP, Jon Jones, etc) had made those kind of remarks, I don't know what the UFC would do. I'll say it would put them in a hell of a "Damned if you do. Damned if you don't." situation. Are they going to get special treatment because they're the champion? Probably. But at the same time, I doubt the UFC would enjoy having one of their most high profile athletes speak this way. I think the most likely outcome would be that Dana and the Fertitas would demand a public apology and maybe they'd get a short "not going to fight during this time anyway" suspension. It's like a pitcher getting a 5 day suspension for throwing at somebody. It appeases the public, but doesn't really hurt the team.

As other said, that's pretty much what Mitrione got. I just think the damage control would need to be bigger if a more important fighter made those comments. I doubt many people care what Matt Mitrione thinks.

[quote name='paz9x']Opinion is fine, calling someone sick and disgusting is not.[/QUOTE]

Precisely my opinion on the matter.

From my understanding: Since she began he treatment late in life she may still have a physiological advantage—even though it has been several years since she began her transition.

What would be fair to all genders would be a transsexual MMA promotion. She should not be fighting women nor should she be fighting men.

bread's done
Back