MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

God - I hate Roy. He came in the fattest ever - and looked like crap. I thought Roy won it, but with a horribly boring gameplan. 51 significant strikes to 4.

Roy took him down repeatedly but landed no ground and pound or submission attempts. Just smothered him and held on as long as possible. If he at least tried some decent ground and pound, but nothing - just pitter patter garbage.

It is funny how they like to mention all of Roy's high level opponents - that have all destroyed him. Like Barnett, Mir, JDS, Hunt, etc.

It feels weird to hate Roy since he is a bjj black belt (since I love bjj).

Black Beast reminds me of Carwin. Super power but unpolished non-technical striking with iffy cardio. Carwin had better wrestling of course.

EDIT:

And for the UFC embedded vid - man that sucks to watch Cormier find out. Aside from the big money, there goes Cormier chance to put the loss behind him and try to show he is the better fighter. Even though it is Jones fault for being a complete fuck up, it tarnishes Cormier's legacy because he never get a chance for a rematch even though he deserves it 10x over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw some reports that Dana was denying the Silva fight, but who knows. They are all probably running around in circles. I'm surprised about Silva because he just had gallbladder surgery or some other gallbladder problem that kept him out of the Uriah Hall fight.

Crazy to see Eddie take out RDA in the first round. RDA looked untouchable recently after taking out Pettis and Cerrone like nothing but got Eddie capitalized the second RDA was hurt. That flying knee was crazy too. I was glad to see Bellator Eddie back. He had some crazy wars back then. Sadly Bellator Eddie may not keep the belt as long as the recent conservative Eddie would, but happy with Eddie getting it.

Edit: I guess ignore what I posted above. They just announced Silva officially. Imagine of Anderson wins, it would be insane.

Wow, can't believe the Silva thing is happening. That's about the best possible scenario they could have for a replacement from a "regular people will give a shit" perspective.

Maybe they realized how bad having a 3 round "main event" makes them look...even if it was "OMG...BROCK LESNAAAAR". When you have two other 5 round title fights on the card, and you go with Lesnar just because "he sells PPVs", it does give you a bit of that Bellator freakshow quality.

Aldo - Edgar would easily have been a worthy main event...but if they pick that, it probably devalues McGregor. And all the casuals are going to go "Wait...what? I thought Conor was the champion???" So, you go with Tate - Nunes...hype that as a big fight, hope that Miesha wins...so then you can put her against Ronda in MSG, and really establish that as a legitimate match up again.

As for Cormer - Silva...I like the match up if Anderson is actually going to give a shit and try. We still haven't seen somebody wrestle Silva and win. Sonnen came as close as you can get...and Weidman didn't have to wrestle him at all. I'd love to see DC try to put him on his back and put a beating on him. And I'd love to see Anderson use his tactical striking and speed. But we'll see if Silva just smiles and dances around in a glorified sparring session for an easy paycheck.

So the main event for 200 has changed 3 times now? 

Dana and Joe Silva must have aged a few years just for this card lol. 

I'm glad Silva was able to step in last minute but this is looking like a one-sided match. A full-camp DC fighting an aged Silva with 2 days notice at light heavyweight? That big paycheck is a huge motivator. 

Edit: Johny Hendricks also misses weight...again. Weighed in at 171.25 lbs. I'm sure his coaching staff loves him. 

The funny thing is Anderson was just calling out Bisping a few days ago. Then, a big payday pops up and it's like "fuck the belt! I'ma get paid!!!" But it's hard to blame fighters when you see guys like Lesnar and McGregor cashing the biggest checks in company history in fights that don't mean anything.

Hell of a fight between JJ and Claudia but the judging was god-awful. Just a few years ago, most people would have laughed at two 115 lb. girls fighting but now they are giving us some of the most exciting headliners. 

HOLY SHIT Mousasi! lol...damn, he lifted Santos off the ground with that uppercut. Incredible timing.

Wow....I feel like Sage was fortunate to get that decision. He was in a lot of danger in that fight, and kept foolishly grappling with Marin. I thought his stand up and ground & pound looked great. And yet, he just kept trying to clinch and go for chokes. Lucky he didn't take another loss.

Ugh...Hendricks - Gastelum was awful. Hendricks just looks like he doesn't care anymore. And Gastelum is a slightly less shitty version of that. Such a "who cares" fight.

And I don't know what the UFC did, but they've got Cat Zingano looking pretty sexy in her fight photos. But damn, she's dumber than a bag of rocks.

Really surprised how Pena was able to turn the tide in that fight. Cat outclassed her in the first...and was really outmuscling her early in the 2nd. Then all of a sudden, Pena just started smothering Cat on the ground. Even Cat's corner must have thought it was a fluke because they told Cat to take Pena down again. Yeah...that didn't work. Pena ended up on top for almost the entire round.

Feel bad for Zingano. She's been through hell. Blew out her knee, her husband killed himself, she gets steamrolled by Ronda in 13 seconds for her first career loss. Now she comes back 16 months later and loses again. Not sure where she goes from here.

Damn...as good of a fighter as Frankie Edgar is, Aldo is just a freak. I don't know how he made weight yesterday. He looks huge. Kind of funny that first Conor won the interim title while Aldo had the belt. Now the reverse has happened. If Dana doesn't force McGregor to defend against Aldo next, he's gotta just forfeit the title. There's really no other choice.

Poor DC. He's fighting smart and doing what he does best...and the fans fucking hate it, lol.

*sigh* Nate Diaz back to sounding retarded...

Wow...I didn't expect Brock to look that good at all. I mean, part of it was just "too damn big, too damn strong". But he fought smart and just mauled Hunt. I'm actually kind of disappointed he has to go back to WWE.

Wow...

This night didn't go any way I expected.
Same here. From the Zingano fight on, I was fairly disappointed, lol. I was pulling for Cat, Edgar, Hunt, and Tate. So many upsets in the UFC lately. Alvarez, Bisping, Stipe, etc. Probaby a good time to be betting on underdogs.

Crazy amount of underdogs winning championship fights. I generally like the chaos, but I'm a Tate fan so disappointed with that fight. Tate didn't look good at all, even looked uncomfortable in the walkout

Not a bad card per se, just a disappointing one based on the caliber of talent that was on it. The fight pass prelims were full of excitement at least.

The prelims were pretty great and the main card was a big disappointment.

Seeing the Fireball Kid lose was hard, but he's gotta hang them up.

Mousasi looked in top form, but he needs to be in there against a top 10 or 5.

Lauzon looked beastly taking out Sanchez. Diego needs to retire ASAP though. A head can only take so many shots.

Sage vs other guy was entertaining, but a sloppy mess. That was some low level jiu-jitsu right there. Both of them looked bad, but it made for an entertaining fight. If the other guy was good, there is no way Sage should've made it out of those arm bars and kimuras. Just super loose and sloppy.

Hendricks looked beat, but Kelvin seemed pretty good with his movement. Hendricks missing weight again is pretty pathetic though.

Zigano has zero fight IQ, much like when she went against Ronda.

I was happy to see Cain maul Travis. Cain's spinning kicks looked surprisingly smooth and fast. Hopefully Cain didn't hurt himself throwing them and need two years out.

At this point - everything went down hill.

Aldo looked pretty good, but just back pedaled landing occasional shots and Frankie spent 25 minutes chasing him but being unable to land. Not nearly as good as the first fight.

Cormier vs Silva was pretty boring. I can't believe that Cormier didn't do any more than that from half guard. Even his take downs were slow double legs instead of the body slams he did to Hendo. I don't know if it was respect for Silva, or angry about Jones, or just an off night, but Cormier did not look the guy who took on Rumble, Gustaff, Barnett, Bigfoot, etc.

Then Bork vs Hunt. Hard to believe that it was boring. Brock sits on top of Hunt for round 1, kind of runs around for round 2, and then sits on him again for round 3. Props for Brock implementing his gameplan after being gone, but it was just kind of painful. Rematch him with Overeem, Cain or put him against JDS to see if he is truly a better fighter now than 5 years ago.

Main event was exciting - but now the hot potato that is the belt moves to the next person.

Card started out amazing and just kind of fell flat even with the big names on it. Roy Nelson vs Black Beat and Eddie vs RDA was better a few nights ago.

So the rumors are flying that the UFC sale is done for 4 billion and the Fertitas keep a small percent and Dana has a smaller percent. Uncle Dana is also staying on.

The other big news is Bisping vs Hendo for title.  Even though the fight makes absolutely no sense, this is one of the few times I would let it slide. Dan is a future hall of famer and one of the pioneers of the sport and said he wants to retire but would stay for one more big match. One last big pay day would be nice for him before he goes.

But, what if he wins? Also the leap frogging is crazy. Romero deserves 1st shot, then Jacare and then all the rest. Hendo is way beyond all of those guys. My love for Hendo is blurring my hatred for bullshit. This would be like giving Brock a title shot after beating Hunt.

So the rumors are flying that the UFC sale is done for 4 billion and the Fertitas keep a small percent and Dana has a smaller percent. Uncle Dana is also staying on.

The other big news is Bisping vs Hendo for title. Even though the fight makes absolutely no sense, this is one of the few times I would let it slide. Dan is a future hall of famer and one of the pioneers of the sport and said he wants to retire but would stay for one more big match. One last big pay day would be nice for him before he goes.

But, what if he wins? Also the leap frogging is crazy. Romero deserves 1st shot, then Jacare and then all the rest. Hendo is way beyond all of those guys. My love for Hendo is blurring my hatred for bullshit. This would be like giving Brock a title shot after beating Hunt.
If Henderson wins, he should be able to recognize it was a fortunate sequence of events that allowed it to happen and just retire as champion. Then you let Jacare and Romero fight for the vacant belt...while letting Weidman and Rockhold battle it out for the next title shot.

As for Brock getting a title shot...do you actually think that won't happen if Overeem beats Stipe? Overeem - Brock 2 is the money fight.

As for Brock getting a title shot...do you actually think that won't happen if Overeem beats Stipe? Overeem - Brock 2 is the money fight.
It might happen, but everyone knows it shouldn't. A part-time fighter who is 2-1 in his last 3 fights who fought for the first time in 5 years shouldn't be fighting for a title. Cain is the only HW who deserves one since he won his last fight (aside from the obvious Reem). If Brock wants a title shot he should fight JDS, Werdum or the loser of Stipe V Overeem for a chance.

Stupid Brock. He was actually starting to grow on me with his interviews before the fight and the post fight. At least he won't leap frog JDS, Cain or someone else now.

Brock, Mir, and Bigfoot all popped when fighting Hunt. He must be slipping them that tainted kangaroo meat.

I wonder of this will hurt Brock's pro-wrestling stuff. I know they are all chocked full of PEDs but to have it come out on ESPN and all the other sports networks throws it in there face.

Yeah...I just don't get it. He didn't HAVE to come back. They made such a big deal out of his "competitive spirit" and how he "didn't need the money". He just wanted to test himself, blah, blah, blah.

If any of that is true...why in the hell would you cheat? I can't believe for one second now that it was about anything more than just making a crazy amount of money. That's the only thing that makes sense. It was an opportunity for a gigantic pay day, and the UFC got to bring back their "biggest PPV draw ever".

But how are you going to say stuff like "I just couldn't live with how it ended and needed to know if I could still do this"? But yet...you do it unfairly. Why?

Michael Page trolled Santos so hard. KO's him with a flying knee and then throws a poke ball at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU6CvPRl2Hw

I can't decide if I want Page to fight legit competition or just living life like he is Anderson Silva 2.0 - some of his fights are amazing to watch when he dances around and KO's cans but he hasn't fought anyone who is a high level fighter. It would be weird to watch him get crushed my legit competition.

Michael Page trolled Santos so hard. KO's him with a flying knee and then throws a poke ball at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU6CvPRl2Hw

I can't decide if I want Page to fight legit competition or just living life like he is Anderson Silva 2.0 - some of his fights are amazing to watch when he dances around and KO's cans but he hasn't fought anyone who is a high level fighter. It would be weird to watch him get crushed my legit competition.
This is hilarious & disrespectful as you know what

Part of his skull caved in. Pretty brutal:

cyborg-santos-head.jpg

https://www.gofundme.com/CyborgBellatorMMA

Oh man - compound fracture to his skull. That is one of the craziest injuries I can think of in MMA history. I love grappling so am use to the occassional knee, elbow and shoulder damaged, but you can see the exact spot where the knee cracked his skull.

I wonder how much more it would've taken to do serious life altering damage to him (if it hasn't already). He is now stuck in the UK until he gets surgery and probably can't fly for a few weeks or months after it.

Geez...that's horrifying, man. You could tell from the sound of it and how he fell that it was bad. If that's not career ending, I don't know what is. He won't be the same after this.

Geez...that's horrifying, man. You could tell from the sound of it and how he fell that it was bad. If that's not career ending, I don't know what is. He won't be the same after this.
When he went down I was surprised he didn't seen out. He was clutching his head face down kicking his feet. I can't imagine the pain a move like that inflicts.

I hope Cyborg makes as much of a recovery as possible. Even if he does "heal" 100% I can't imagine mentally ever being the same. Like how broken legs have trouble kicking again when healed, or how Koschek has been a shell of himself since GSP blew out his orbital.

So Jones' flag was for an estrogen blocking drug, which apparently is often used when guys are cycling off steroids.

Lesnar's flag is still unknown. Some rumors from yesterday that some asthma medication may be what tripped it, but Dave Meltzer is saying that's not true. As funny as it would be to find out Brock's inhaler is the culprit, sure doesn't seem too likely. Really strange that he was supposedly tested 8 times in a short period of time and passed 7 of them, and the one failed was not the first or last one taken. Not that stranger things haven't happened, but that seems really weird.

Hunt is demanding either all of Brock's money from the fight, or to be released. LOL. Doesn't work that way, dude.

He actually demanded half, and when a fighter missed weight the other fighter can get a certain percentage of their purse if the fight still continues. I don't see why that request is outrageous considering some fighter has given up almost half of their purse to the other fighter before.

I think Mark is more than anything taking a stand against cheating get a slap on the wrist. Even though the test took place 3/4 weeks before the fight it is out of competition - so Brock doesn't lose any money and I think it stays as a win for him.

I also understand how Mark is pissed now. When he signed the contract and then heard that Brock was getting to skip a bunch of testing he went off about steroids, cheating, etc. Lots of people (including Dana White) pretty much told him to man up and stop bitching. So he did, then he fought and lost and acted respectful in defeat. Few days later it turns out that Brock was cheating (allegedly - someone said it was an asthma med but Metzer was saying it was more than that) and it proved that Mark was right. So everyone was telling Mark to stop whining when he was appears to have been 100% correct.

Brock failed his test, Mir failed his test and Bigfoot failed his test. That is alot of failed tests that have gone up against Mark.

He actually demanded half, and when a fighter missed weight the other fighter can get a certain percentage of their purse if the fight still continues.
"Mark Hunt has released a statement saying he demands at least half of Brock’s fight earnings, which he later changed to his entire pay cheque. Mark Hunt stated “I’ve told Dana White that I want a release from the UFC if they don’t sort this out. Brock Lesnar earned a minimum of $2,500,000 for his fight in UFC 200, while Mark Hunt earned just $700,000 in comparison."

http://gbcworldnews.com/index.php/2016/07/16/mark-hunt-furious-over-brock-lesnars-doping-violation-demands-his-entire-pay-cheque/

Man - what a shit show UFC 200 turned out to be. Good thing that 4 billion sale was all finalized beforehand (joking).

First McGregor vs Diaz is off - but that is okay because we got Jon Jones back and it is Brocktober in July!

Jon Jones failed drug test because it looks like now he has been abusing steroids (since that would be the only reason to take estrogen blockers unless he has something like breast cancer) which leads to the horrible Cormier vs Silva match.

Brock comes in and has a boring fight against Hunt, and then gets popped after.

Main event is now a WMMA fight and consists of the hot potato belt being moved around again. Miesha supposedly had a horrible weight cut. I'm guessing that implants and being a fighter don't mix well. Those extra two pounds aren't helping.

There was a rumor that went around before that Jones hid under the cage at his gym (before the OSP fight I think) for like 8 hours to avoid a drug test. Maybe that was true then.

And now Hunt wants out of UFC. Having a 2nd big star (the first being GSP) leave because of rampant steroids is not a good look. Bisping has also always been very vocal on all the cheating (but he won't leave since he is champ and got that nice spot in the broadcast booth).

Yeah, it makes me wonder if things will change at all with the new owners...or are they really just "happy to be a part of it"? Are they going to care about cleaning up the sport? Or are they going to care about entertainment and big revenues? Or are they really ok with telling Dana "Just keep doing what you're doing"?

Damn...Lesnar failed his fight night drug test as well. Same substance found. Looking like it's the same estrogen blockers that Jones used.
Haha - Lesnar just didn't give a fuck apparently. He just went out there and roided his brains out to one big pay day. But now with the in competition test he will lose like 50% of his purse (or something similar I believe).

Brock didn't even have the decency to try and cycle off correctly and before the fight. Cheating is 100% wrong, but if he was only caught on the out of competition test then he probably trying to cycle off and hide his cheating. With being caught on multiple tests just makes it look like he didn't care. I don't understand why he would just openly cheat like that? Did he think he was too big and that USADA would be paid off by Lorenzo? Does he just not give a crap about his legacy as a fighter? How will the WWF even market him now? As no longer a real fighter because he is roided out of his mind?

I know I stated it earlier, but wow.... UFC 200 was a shit show.

Not the most polished animated gif - but I like it. Referencing the alleged Jones hiding under a ring/cage for 8 hours to avoid a USADA test.

jon_jones_IN_with_dog.gif

So...it appears that WME-IMG might be having buyer's remorse, lol.

http://fansided.com/2016/07/21/ufc-president-dana-white-refutes-rumor-ufc-sale-souring/

Not really surprising considering what a clusterfuck UFC 200 became. Honestly, if McGregor doesn't beat Diaz, pretty much all of the UFC's big names are fucked. Lesnar, Jones, McGregor, Ronda. And considering the recent chaos, I wouldn't be shocked if GSP just decided it isn't worth it.

They've got nobody right now. Stipe doesn't seem like a lasting champion. Cormier isn't really an exciting fighter. Bisping isn't a lasting champion, Lawler isn't a great talker and takes forever between fights because of how busted up he gets. Alvarez is a relative unknown to casuals (and the lightweight belt has been as much of a hot potato as the women's bantamweight belt). Aldo doesn't bring numbers. Cruz's legs are ready to explode at any moment. And Mighty Mouse...is just too small for anyone to give a damn about.

On the women's side, it's even worse right now. Nunes looks like a mongoloid and in no way could carry a card. And Joanna...for as great of a fighter as she is...she's kind of a weirdo bitch. Neither of them speak great English and are very awkward.

So, yeah...not really a great time for the UFC.

bread's done
Back