Modern Warfare 2 $45, Hardened Edition $59 (360/PS3) at Amazon

gwill

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9777[/IMG-R]Amazon has price matched its competitors and has discounted both the regular and Hardened editions of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

iconamazon.gif
Modern Warfare 2 $44.96
iconamazon.gif
Modern Warfare 2 Hardened Edition $59

You can also get 5% cashback if you use checkout with Amazon PayPhrase

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gwill']Yes, 60 - 20 gc is a better 'deal' if you are definitely going to buy another game. Nice point....I guess. However, it does of course lock you into buying another game in a time frame that is set by amazon. I prefer not feeling like I HAVE to buy a game from them before the $20 credit runs out. I see real money (the $15 dollars I still have in my pocket) as better than the possible $20 dollars amazon would be holding ransom from me until I decided to plop down another $40 for that next $60 game that I kinda really don't want, but will lose $20 if I don't buy it. I'd rather save $15 instantly on a game I will play than get some other game I won't play because I have credit to burn.

And your quip about paycheck to paycheck is kind of assish. Then to follow it up with some talk about flipping games is kind of contradictory to whatever you may have been implying.
Personally, I don't like dealing with credit this or credit that, flip this or flip that. All of that takes my time, which is more valuable to me than a couple $2 dollar credits d/t flipping.

Finally, I don't exactly get what you're trying to accomplish by pointing out that someone should have done a deal that is no longer available. That deal is no longer available, people did not take advantage of it for a variety of reasons, and now they are taking advantage of this deal. Why exactly do you care? Personally, if I were you, I would be glad I got the 60 - 20 deal, and pat yourself on the back, and then flip a few more games, or play the ones you've got.[/QUOTE]
Agreed 100%.

[quote name='bigl523']Looks like it's dead :([/QUOTE]
Kinda glad, too--I don't need to spend more money on games this month. :)

[quote name='KingGondo']Kinda glad, too--I don't need to spend more money on games this month. :)[/QUOTE]

But this game is spectacular. I say it's even worth a full $60 (though deals do not hurt at all ;)).

[quote name='dieresis']But this game is spectacular. I say it's even worth a full $60 (though deals do not hurt at all ;)).[/QUOTE]

+1.

got my copy when it was released.

[quote name='Feral Lynx']Amazon did not have a lot of deals that interested me on Black Friday. And the way that I spend my money is none of your business.

Wow.. the trolls on this forum. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Wow.. the sensitivity in this forum :lol:

[quote name='dieresis']But this game is spectacular. I say it's even worth a full $60 (though deals do not hurt at all ;)).[/QUOTE]

$60 for a 4-5 hour campaign? Yeah, that's spectacular. Please don't give me the "online" excuse... I have online but some people don't, like a coworker of mine who bought it and was pissed the game was over after playing it for 2 days.

[quote name='oasisboy']$60 for a 4-5 hour campaign? Yeah, that's spectacular. Please don't give me the "online" excuse... I have online but some people don't, like a coworker of mine who bought it and was pissed the game was over after playing it for 2 days.[/QUOTE]

its all about online, don't tell me your friend didn't know that the game's campaign is 4-6 hr he should goggle before buy games don't you think?

[quote name='oasisboy']$60 for a 4-5 hour campaign? Yeah, that's spectacular. Please don't give me the "online" excuse... I have online but some people don't, like a coworker of mine who bought it and was pissed the game was over after playing it for 2 days.[/QUOTE]

"Online excuse"? Are you kidding? Modern Warfare was as popular as it was because of its multiplayer, so naturally the multiplayer will be the focus of the sequel. And your co-worker should probably think about investing in his whole "internet" craze.

[quote name='ProggleRock']"Online excuse"? Are you kidding? Modern Warfare was as popular as it was because of its multiplayer, so naturally the multiplayer will be the focus of the sequel. And your co-worker should probably think about investing in his whole "internet" craze.[/QUOTE]
A lot of us don't have access to high-speed internet. That's the price one pays for rural living, I suppose.
I'm still getting this game because of the co-op content; the fact that one can play Spec Ops split screen with a friend.

[quote name='anathema728']Do you not know about amazon flips? Or are you working from paycheck to paycheck? I just don't get why $42.75 is a better deal than $60+20credit.

Spending money at Amazon is inevitable.

Batman AA for 360 was $30 lightning deal, 20 after discover promo, 29 TIV
Forza 3 was 1:1 i think.
Rhythmn heaven was also a flip that made like $2/copy.
Tekken 6 was $40, 30 after discover promo, $32 TIV.[/QUOTE]

Real money off now is always better than potential money off later.

Furthermore, $60 game + $40 game (after the $20 off) is $100 or $50 per game. $45 is cheaper than $50.

MW2 has single player mode? Did the other COD's have single player mode too?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Real money off now is always better than potential money off later.
Furthermore, $60 game + $40 game (after the $20 off) is $100 or $50 per game. $45 is cheaper than $50.[/QUOTE]

Who's to say I'm not buying another game that comes with $20 credit?
It comes out to y = 60X - 20(x-1), as x approaches infinity, y approaches 40. I can bring in the math too bro.

I guess I'm just cheaper than other gamers.

[quote name='anathema728']Who's to say I'm not buying another game that comes with $20 credit?
It comes out to y = 60X - 20(x-1), as x approaches infinity, y approaches 40. I can bring in the math too bro.

I guess I'm just cheaper than other gamers.[/QUOTE]

If store credits are your thing, then go ahead and collect them - no one's stopping you. However, a lot of people have their own reasons for wanting savings on actual money, instead of store credits.

Everyone has their own spending habits, and each gamer's "cheapness" is a relative term that's dependent on various factors (annual income, tax refunds for the year, amount of credit available, etc.). That said, to compare your own "cheapness" to someone else's seems like a moot point, since each person's life is different. If you're content with your own buying habits, then good, but don't expect everyone else to be the same as you. You're pushing a non-issue here.

Considering how we're all members of a forum dedicated to gaming (cheaply), I'd pretty much agree that $20 = $20 gaming credit.

I sent back the copy I pre-ordered, since it got a nasty, circular scratch, and Amazon gave me a nice refund. As soon as I saw this, I ordered it again, so i saved $20.00 (15.00 from the game, plus 5 from shipping at that time), plus I had the chance to use the $20.00 promo credit on another order (Tekken 6 Fightstick bundle) a few weeks ago. Now, I 'll just have to wait for it.

And for those of you who're reluctant to play it because it's "overhyped" or whatever, I could care less about hype, this is one of the best shooters ever made for the Xbox 360. The online is amazing (although there's a lot of campers out there), the campaign and Spec-Ops modes are sick. I've played a few FPS on the 360, and I must say Modern Warfare 2 is basically at the top of the list. I do love Bioshock/The Orange Box's more sci-fi/pot driven gameplay, but Modern Warfare 2 is just balls out crazy. Give it a try. I know the campaign is really short, but I'd rather have it that way than playing through a forced, thirty hour plus game that just sends you on the same missions over and over. I mean, Halo 3 wasn't exactly an epic game, length-wise, and I don't see anyone complaining about it. I think I beat it in three days, and I wasn't even dedicating much time to it since I was hooked on Street Fighter IV when I first played it (I'm still playing Street Fighter IV every day of the week).

[quote name='xlaxparkax']I sent back the copy I pre-ordered, since it got a nasty, circular scratch, and Amazon gave me a nice refund. As soon as I saw this, I ordered it again, so i saved $20.00 (15.00 from the game, plus 5 from shipping at that time), plus I had the chance to use the $20.00 promo credit on another order (Tekken 6 Fightstick bundle) a few weeks ago. Now, I 'll just have to wait for it.

And for those of you who're reluctant to play it because it's "overhyped" or whatever, I could care less about hype, this is one of the best shooters ever made for the Xbox 360. The online is amazing (although there's a lot of campers out there), the campaign and Spec-Ops modes are sick. I've played a few FPS on the 360, and I must say Modern Warfare 2 is basically at the top of the list. I do love Bioshock/The Orange Box's more sci-fi/pot driven gameplay, but Modern Warfare 2 is just balls out crazy. Give it a try.[/QUOTE]
Well put. When I'm in the mood for a philosophical treatise, I'll put in MGS4 or Bioshock. When I'm in the mood for shooting stuff, this is the game to get.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Anyone have a comment on MW2 on the PS3 side?

I hear it's bugged and has server issues, but are those fixed?[/QUOTE]

Ack! I hope not. I just bought it (and I have a 360...but I was thinking about canceling LIVE when it ran out this month). I *thought* I heard there were no noticeable differences...

Quick Google check found this. Small sample size of opinions, but hopefully its true.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=callofduty3&thread.id=745615

This came up in another thread and I still don't know why people think this way. You really can't subtract the $20 in future credit from the price of your purchase.

Many people seem to rationalize $60+$20 credit is like spending $40. Your real cost IS $60, that is what is going to be on your bank statement at the end of the month. You also can't make a broad assumption that everyone WANTS to buy another game, and use that $20 credit.

I would go so far as to say there are probably people that force themselves into buying another game to make use of that credit, when they really didn't need to make another purchase in the first place.

In either case tho, it is your prerogative. But to come to a thread and almost lambaste people for not taking advantage of an earlier (DEAD) deal, as a means to justify your own expenditures is kind of silly.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Anyone have a comment on MW2 on the PS3 side?

I hear it's bugged and has server issues, but are those fixed?[/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with the PS3 version, just dl the update.

Price just went back down to ~ $45 again (via amazon). Ordered the hardened edition earlier convinced it wouldn't drop again, and damn if it didn't within the hour. Had to call amazon to canx the previous order and have them send out the standard edition. I was fine with paying $4 more for the premium, but not $15.

[quote name='Manoleke']its all about online, don't tell me your friend didn't know that the game's campaign is 4-6 hr he should goggle before buy games don't you think?[/QUOTE]

I guess you have not heard that there are casual gamers out there that don't bother googling stuff about games and that don't play online.

[quote name='ProggleRock']"Online excuse"? Are you kidding? Modern Warfare was as popular as it was because of its multiplayer, so naturally the multiplayer will be the focus of the sequel. And your co-worker should probably think about investing in his whole "internet" craze.[/QUOTE]

I don't recall watching those TV ads for MW2 saying that this game was "online" only (as like Warhawk for PS3). My co-worker is not a "he", its a she who happens to be a casual gamer who does not care about play online.

If my memory is correct, Call of Duty 2 and 3 were reasonably long in the campaign mode and were great games.

[quote name='kulsechsky']MW2 has single player mode? Did the other COD's have single player mode too?[/QUOTE]

Yes, try Call of Duty 2 and 3.

[quote name='gunstar808']This came up in another thread and I still don't know why people think this way. You really can't subtract the $20 in future credit from the price of your purchase.

Many people seem to rationalize $60+$20 credit is like spending $40. Your real cost IS $60, that is what is going to be on your bank statement at the end of the month. You also can't make a broad assumption that everyone WANTS to buy another game, and use that $20 credit.

I would go so far as to say there are probably people that force themselves into buying another game to make use of that credit, when they really didn't need to make another purchase in the first place.

In either case tho, it is your prerogative. But to come to a thread and almost lambaste people for not taking advantage of an earlier (DEAD) deal, as a means to justify your own expenditures is kind of silly.[/QUOTE]

There is one flaw in your statement is that you are on a GAMING DEAL forum you honestly think that people who made an account here would not use that $20 credit without forcing themselves to do so?

[quote name='oasisboy']I don't recall watching those TV ads for MW2 saying that this game was "online" only (as like Warhawk for PS3). My co-worker is not a "he", its a she who happens to be a casual gamer who does not care about play online.

If my memory is correct, Call of Duty 2 and 3 were reasonably long in the campaign mode and were great games.[/QUOTE]

The single player in this game is about 4-5 hours long that is it.

[quote name='oasisboy']Yes, try Call of Duty 2 and 3.[/QUOTE]

You do know that kulsechsky is being sarcastic. With the campaign being 4-6 hours, and your co-worker being unhappy about it, then I suggest that the person not buy heavenly sword. It is around 6 hours. Aside from that when they were showing previews of MW2 they did specify that the main importance was on multiplayer. Then here is another question for you then, would the co-worker rather pay lets say $20 for it if they made the game into both single player and multiplayer only, while still charging $60 for the online play. Doesnt matter what happens currently since mostly all ps3 and 360 games either start at 50 or 60 even if it is a 2-5 hour game.

I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this -- I bought the PC version (big mistake) and returned it because I couldn't get it to work. I would get it for the PS3 version but $44 is a little steep right now ($40 or even $30 would result in instant buy for me).

Plus, I just got Disgaea 3 for PS3 at $30 and that's on its way.

[quote name='gunstar808']This came up in another thread and I still don't know why people think this way. You really can't subtract the $20 in future credit from the price of your purchase.

[/QUOTE]

Does anyone really need a game?

If you buy a lot of games (or plan to purchase another game soon after), credit is just as good as cash. If you don't, then obviously it isn't. The fact is that there are usually 3 choices someone here has to make when a new game is released that he or she wants:

1) Buy it at full price.
2) Buy it at full price + credit.
3) Wait until sale or price drop.

Because choice 1 is retarded, he or she generally chooses between 2 and 3. And again, if you plan on buying another game anyway, 2 is the obvious choice because you get the game rather than putting it hold.

[quote name='125125']You do know that kulsechsky is being sarcastic. With the campaign being 4-6 hours, and your co-worker being unhappy about it, then I suggest that the person not buy heavenly sword. It is around 6 hours. Aside from that when they were showing previews of MW2 they did specify that the main importance was on multiplayer. Then here is another question for you then, would the co-worker rather pay lets say $20 for it if they made the game into both single player and multiplayer only, while still charging $60 for the online play. Doesnt matter what happens currently since mostly all ps3 and 360 games either start at 50 or 60 even if it is a 2-5 hour game.[/QUOTE]

I buy CoD games mainly for the single player, which are fantastic experiences. I always try to get into multi-player, but it just never happens. Either I die too fast, or I just don't have fun online. I don't have any friends who play games, so kind of screwed there. I guess I just miss the old days with games like golden-eye.

MW2 will definitely be my last FPS purchase, as I will be renting them from now on. Too bad it took me so long to realize that.

[quote name='Xiemos']I buy CoD games mainly for the single player, which are fantastic experiences. I always try to get into multi-player, but it just never happens. Either I die too fast, or I just don't have fun online. I don't have any friends who play games, so kind of screwed there. I guess I just miss the old days with games like golden-eye.

MW2 will definitely be my last FPS purchase, as I will be renting them from now on. Too bad it took me so long to realize that.[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean. To this day the only new shooter I've been able to actually get into online has been Killzone 2. Brilliant multiplayer, and it's very easy for n00bs to get started on there.

[quote name='anathema728']Who's to say I'm not buying another game that comes with $20 credit?

I guess I'm just cheaper than other gamers.[/QUOTE]

What stupid ass math is this? No matter the price of the second game, you're only saving $10 per game once you factor in the use of the credit. With this deal, not only do you save $15 on the game, you save it instantly. This is the better deal.

If you use the $20 credit to buy another game with a $20 credit, then you're saving $40 across three games or $13.33 per game. This is still the better deal, especially since games with $20 credit deals are rare.

$60 game plus $20 credit DOES NOT mean you're only out $40.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']What stupid ass math is this?[/QUOTE]

Limits

I actually left out part of the equation, it should be y = [60x - 20(x-1)]/[x], where x is the number of games you buy, and y is the amount you pay for each game.

[quote name='anathema728']Limits

I actually left out part of the equation, it should be y = [60x - 20(x-1)]/[x], where x is the number of games you buy, and y is the amount you pay for each game.[/QUOTE]

The reason I called it stupid was because it doesn't apply, not because I didn't think it was actual math. That all assumes that you will perpetually find deals with a 20 dollar credit, which you won't. Don't be mad that you missed this better deal.

You would need to buy 5 games with the $20 credit before you would get a better deal than $45 per game.

question, is payphrase showing up for anyone on mw2, either standard or hardened? it isn't for me.

i know that payphrase is only on certain items. for example, i see a payphrase for Ratchet and Clank Crack in Time

But this thread says that you CAN get payphrase on mw2, so I'm just checking...

Note, it seems like the hardened edition (360) will be a lightning deal today @ 6:30am. It says the current price is $59 so it should be less than that.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']The reason I called it stupid was because it doesn't apply, not because I didn't think it was actual math. That all assumes that you will perpetually find deals with a 20 dollar credit, which you won't. Don't be mad that you missed this better deal.

You would need to buy 5 games with the $20 credit before you would get a better deal than $45 per game.[/QUOTE]

This.

Following this "deal debate on credits vs. instant reductions" and being a math geek myself, I agree with you when applying the equation to real life scenarios. You have to continually grab $20 credit games to fulfill his equation. Props to you if you not only can do that, but each game is one you really want. I'm of the thought that I'd rather have $15 off first on a one time game, but if I KNOW I'll be purchasing a game later, and that it'll be less than $60 by a good bit via pre-order promotion or the likes (like lets say $50 or so) then I'd rather snag the $20 credit, and consider the 2 purchases a "duo" of purchases. In the end I'd spend, say $90 on two games ($60 + $30 (because the second was $50 at Amazon for a promotion and the credit made it $30)) and spend about $90 that way, or I could find two at $45 each with instant reductions, it will depend on the likelihood of each scenario. My match up is predicated on Amazon having two games at $45, or on getting your $20 credit to apply to a further game that is normally at $60, down to $50 on sale, and then the $20 comes in and makes it 30....

There are too many hypothetical's and it's dependent on each gamers taste, habits, income and personality...almost a nonpoint to debate as said variables create a stalemate when you factor in purchasing habits or tastes in games, etc...

ANYWAYS....I am one of those that basically never plays online, and have grown upon the COD franchise more as a single player as a result. I don't really care about online MP as of now, as I don't have a reliable enough connection, and have too big of a backlog to go through to get started now. And honestly, I have more fun with local multiplayer anyways, as was mentioned above me with GoldenEye, Perfect Dark 1, etc...as you are sitting next to your friends/opponents, and it makes it much better (I played online at a friends for a couple hours, only person "there" was my friend, it paled compared to having 4 guys in a room on a couch)...I enjoy single player, and refuse to do Live (the cost), so I have PSN. Haven't played a game online with it yet, and am just content that way as of now, as I have been enjoying my single player experiences or my local multiplayer (The Club, Army of Two co-op, MW1 split screen, Resistance 1 Co-op, hell I've broken out the N64 for Perfect Dark local play a few times in the last couple years)....So when you factor in my disgust for Bobby Kotick, I've been holding off on MW2 for a while, until either it's about $40 or less (I can wait) or that asshat changes his attitude.

[quote name='rpnguyen']question, is payphrase showing up for anyone on mw2, either standard or hardened? it isn't for me.
[/QUOTE]
From Amazon:
Which items are eligible for CashBack?

All items purchased with Amazon PayPhrase on Amazon.com and Checkout by Amazon merchant sites which ship by December 31, 2009 are eligible for CashBack Rewards. Amazon.com Gift Certificates and Gift Cards are not eligible for CashBack Rewards. Orders must be placed during the promotional period using a PayPhrase to be eligible for PayPhrase CashBack Rewards.

[quote name='whotheheck']Note, it seems like the hardened edition (360) will be a lightning deal today @ 6:30am. It says the current price is $59 so it should be less than that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I'm interested in the Hardened Edition, but I'll wait and see how much it drops in price at 930.

Ordered the 360 (Hardened) version @ $47.99, but no 5% off option. I'll have to contact Amazon to get refunded.

Thanks, op.

[quote name='HughMBeing']Ordered the 360 (Hardened) version @ $47.99, but no 5% off option. I'll have to contact Amazon to get refunded.

Thanks, op.[/QUOTE]

Cashback is dead

[quote name='HughMBeing']Ordered the 360 (Hardened) version @ $47.99, but no 5% off option. I'll have to contact Amazon to get refunded.

Thanks, op.[/QUOTE]

Tried ordering but it still shows up at $59 on my order page. Says only 32% sold.

bread's done
Back