my Best Buy - former BB Reward Zone Program

Dranakin

Member since Oct. 2003
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-Promotions/null/pcmcat309300050007.c?id=pcmcat309300050007

3 tiers, up from 2. Spend thresholds are $1500 and $3500 respectively, from $2500.

How do I qualify for My Best Buy Elite or Elite Plus?

Elite status is automatically awarded when you spend $1500 or more on qualifying purchases at Best Buy and BestBuy.com in a calendar year, or $1,500 or more in total anywhere on the My Best Buy MasterCard.

Elite Plus status is automatically awarded when you spend $3500 or more on qualifying purchases at Best Buy and BestBuy.com in a calendar year, $3,500 or more in total anywhere on the My Best Buy MasterCard

Reward Zone Gamers Club appears to now be my Best Buy Gamers Club, program benefits seem to be the same.

What are the benefits of the My Best Buy Gamers Club?

Benefits include:

Get 2X points on new game software, digital content and game accessories

Get 2X points when you trade in games
Special money-saving exclusive offers
Also:

Does it cost anything to be a My Best Buy Gamers Club member?

Gamers Club membership is free. You must be a U.S. or Puerto Rico resident at least 13 years of age with a valid e-mail address.
EDIT: Thanks to person123, who noted that there's still a Gamers Club Unlocked tier, in which benefits include the same 10% bonus trade-in credit, 10% discount off Pre-Owned Games, 10 issues of @Gamer magazine, and exclusive Paid Subscription offers.

---

I imagine we'll get some answers about current statuses in the next few days if you're a Silver member and/or a paid GCU member, since all the programs have changed.

Just to share, I was a Silver member and my status is now Elite Plus through the current status year.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the upside, coupons are free again (remember back when we were all complaining that we now had to pay money for the sorts of coupons that used to be free on the site?).

Also, they're giving away free points just for logging into the Best Buy app anytime you visit a store (up to twice per week).

But it'll be pretty weak if they don't give Unlocked subscribers some sort of bonus for the program expiring. I'm definitely glad I didn't renew when mine expired a few months ago.

I never spend the required amount at best buy itself...yet I've been premier silver and now converted to whatever they're calling it...elite plus 3500 bucks required spending or something. I also have my benefits till 2015. Easy way to get it is getting that best buy rewardzone mastercard. Get points for everything you buy. So just use the card for a bunch of crap you would have paid cash for to get the points. I mostly use it on gas, food, etc. But you also get the bonus for best buy purchases and games I believe. Good deal and easy way to meet the dollar amount. Its nice when you use it in the store also you never need to scan your rz card as your membership is linked to the credit card so you just automatically get the points.

With that being said, BB cust service is the industry standard for driving your customers out of your stores. I try to avoid the stores and aholes that work at them at all costs. There was once a refrigerator they had on sale oos online so I go to the store to buy. Went to a couple different stores and no luck. One associate was actually helpful and gives me a printout of all nearby stores and the stock they have of this refrig. So I go to the closest one where they had one or two in stock(and keep in mind they told me this was real time check of the stock since it was done through the store system not online). Some obnoxious kid at the cust serv desk tells me they have none. I said ok why does your stock say you have it then? He turns red and starts demanding I give him the paper and abrubtly rips it from my hands. He demands to know who gave it to me and lets me know they'll be fired for this. Of course I refuse and ask for the manager before my frustrations boil over and I take it out on the poor freckled fat associate who was very close to having me drag him outside and beat him for coming at me aggresively. So the store manager seems polite at first I explain the situation to him. It seems they only have the floor model left and I'm fine with it. In the meantime, our fat freckled friend has tailed it across the store determined to not let me get what I came for. As the manager is about to sell it to me, he yells no its a clearance item. Then the manager refuses and starts getting aggresive and in my face.

So, long story short they refuse to take my money. They would rather have the floor model to a discontinued refrig sit on the floor with no more ever coming in stock(which makes having a floor model pointless) then take my money. Forgive me, but isn't the point of running a business like that to sell things and make money? I complained to corporate they didn't give a fuck. So lesson learned. I'll treat them as they have me. Abuse the programs to meet my own needs until they go out of business. Apologize for the rant but just thought I'd share.

I never spend the required amount at best buy itself...yet I've been premier silver and now converted to whatever they're calling it...elite plus 3500 bucks required spending or something. I also have my benefits till 2015. Easy way to get it is getting that best buy rewardzone mastercard. Get points for everything you buy. So just use the card for a bunch of crap you would have paid cash for to get the points. I mostly use it on gas, food, etc. But you also get the bonus for best buy purchases and games I believe. Good deal and easy way to meet the dollar amount. Its nice when you use it in the store also you never need to scan your rz card as your membership is linked to the credit card so you just automatically get the points.

With that being said, BB cust service is the industry standard for driving your customers out of your stores. I try to avoid the stores and aholes that work at them at all costs. There was once a refrigerator they had on sale oos online so I go to the store to buy. Went to a couple different stores and no luck. One associate was actually helpful and gives me a printout of all nearby stores and the stock they have of this refrig. So I go to the closest one where they had one or two in stock(and keep in mind they told me this was real time check of the stock since it was done through the store system not online). Some obnoxious kid at the cust serv desk tells me they have none. I said ok why does your stock say you have it then? He turns red and starts demanding I give him the paper and abrubtly rips it from my hands. He demands to know who gave it to me and lets me know they'll be fired for this. Of course I refuse and ask for the manager before my frustrations boil over and I take it out on the poor freckled fat associate who was very close to having me drag him outside and beat him for coming at me aggresively. So the store manager seems polite at first I explain the situation to him. It seems they only have the floor model left and I'm fine with it. In the meantime, our fat freckled friend has tailed it across the store determined to not let me get what I came for. As the manager is about to sell it to me, he yells no its a clearance item. Then the manager refuses and starts getting aggresive and in my face.

So, long story short they refuse to take my money. They would rather have the floor model to a discontinued refrig sit on the floor with no more ever coming in stock(which makes having a floor model pointless) then take my money. Forgive me, but isn't the point of running a business like that to sell things and make money? I complained to corporate they didn't give a fuck. So lesson learned. I'll treat them as they have me. Abuse the programs to meet my own needs until they go out of business. Apologize for the rant but just thought I'd share.
Sounds more like to me that the kid was hoarding the fridge for himself or a family member. I'd gladly sell you the floor model in a heart beat at my store. I'll even bubble wrap it and shrink wrap it for you regardless of if you take it home yourself or request delivery.

I was able to "renew" the day after my GCU expired on 9/16.  I used the printout from the preorder thingy in the gaming dept.  The GCU shows this:

RZ Gamers Club Unlocked
through 9/17/2014

in the same spot it's always been.  It's on the right side column above your point total and under your membership number.  That's what worked for me.  I also had the same issue trying to renew when my GCU was still active (pre-9/16).

I'm a bit confused, besides the 10% bonus for unlocked, does it get anything else?  I know there are coupons, but I barely used any the past two years.  I probably have not optimized my unlocked account.  I traded in a few games, so the 10% bonus is nice I suppose.

My 1000 points for my "free" GTAV pended Wednesday and were posted to my points Thursday. I also picked up a Special Edition and those 1000 are pending! :bouncy:

I've read the OP, and sorry if I sound dumb, but I've never used BB rewards before. Am I automatically signed up for regular gamers club deals? I went to the site and can't find anything about signing up, it just shows all my information for my rewards.  

I've read the OP, and sorry if I sound dumb, but I've never used BB rewards before. Am I automatically signed up for regular gamers club deals? I went to the site and can't find anything about signing up, it just shows all my information for my rewards.
When Gamers Club first started you had to sign up separately by going to the Gamers Club tab when signed in to the RewardZone site. I'm not sure how it is now, but try clicking on that tab to see if there is anything about signing up on there.

Spoke to CS yesterday and you have until 11/1 to schedule your free (former Silver) Geek Squad service, such as a TV calibration. The actual appointment can be for any date in the future, you just need to request it before 11/1.

Kind of shady the way BB quietly nuked this benefit. Anyway, in for the TV calibration.

So people who had silver status where given elite plus status through feb 2014 . So say if you spent 1500$ last year they should have given you elite status for this year . I thought about calling on this but I'm about to hit elite anyways so it's not worth the hassle trying to talk them into that .

Spoke to CS yesterday and you have until 11/1 to schedule your free (former Silver) Geek Squad service, such as a TV calibration. The actual appointment can be for any date in the future, you just need to request it before 11/1.

Kind of shady the way BB quietly nuked this benefit. Anyway, in for the TV calibration.

So if I got one of the Elite trial memberships could I do it, or would I have to have been Silver pre-mBBR/current Elite Plus?

Just curious, since I doubt they could properly calibrate my Sony 34XBR960 anyway.

Ever since they switched this over I keep having to call to get my points added from my purchases. They never get added when I use my rewardzone card. It's frustrating as hell.

Not surprised they finally did some changes, especially the $25 and up shipping.

I ordered probably half a dozen of those composition notebooks for my nephews to kill off gift cards as they were like $1.30 or something. They'd ship each of them solo in a huge box, probably around the size of the boxes a 360 comes in.

So if I got one of the Elite trial memberships could I do it, or would I have to have been Silver pre-mBBR/current Elite Plus?

Just curious, since I doubt they could properly calibrate my Sony 34XBR960 anyway.
not sure, but might be worth a try. the worst they can say is "no"

Elite Plus and Elite member benefits.

• A special event will be held on 11/17 at "select stores". Triple reward points.
  • Early Access to Black Friday deals will be on November 25.
  • Priority access to hot products. They will be reserved and you will be notified via email.
  • Priority Checkout Lanes will be offered at "select stores" this holiday season for Elite and Elite Plus members.
  • Elite Plus members will be able to gift Elite status to 3 family members or friends.
All my best buy members.

• Points will not expire every February, they will only expire if your account is inactive for 12 months.
  • Any member who spends $2500 this calendar year will be receiving Elite Plus through February 2015, spend $1500 receive Elite through February 2015.

Elite Plus and Elite member benefits.

• A special event will be held on 11/17 at "select stores". Triple reward points.
  • Early Access to Black Friday deals will be on November 25.
  • Priority access to hot products. They will be reserved and you will be notified via email.
  • Priority Checkout Lanes will be offered at "select stores" this holiday season for Elite and Elite Plus members.
  • Elite Plus members will be able to gift Elite status to 3 family members or friends.
All my best buy members.

• Points will not expire every February, they will only expire if your account is inactive for 12 months.
  • Any member who spends $2500 this calendar year will be receiving Elite Plus through February 2015, spend $1500 receive Elite through February 2015.
Good updated info, htz. Thanks for that. I'm glad they're honoring the $2500 threshhold for Elite Plus this year (I was worried because I'm gonna hit that with trades, but probably wouldn't have been able to make it to $3500). Also, I like the idea of priority check-out lines during the holidays. Hopefully the early access to Black Friday deals runs smoother than it did last year (I vaguely recall stuff selling out quickly and people raging over not being able to get in on deals since they felt entitled as Silver members...)

Good updated info, htz. Thanks for that. I'm glad they're honoring the $2500 threshhold for Elite Plus this year (I was worried because I'm gonna hit that with trades, but probably wouldn't have been able to make it to $3500). Also, I like the idea of priority check-out lines during the holidays. Hopefully the early access to Black Friday deals runs smoother than it did last year (I vaguely recall stuff selling out quickly and people raging over not being able to get in on deals since they felt entitled as Silver members...)
How does this Early Access to Black Friday deals work? Does it mean online or in-store? For door busters you they pass out vouchers from starting in the front of the line of people waiting outside the store. For the past 4 years I've waited outside at least 10-14 hours ahead of time to be 1st-10th in line and I don't recall anyone with Silver getting a voucher before me.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know if they print your name on the Elite members card they send you? And if so would I have trouble using it since my mom's name would be on it? I've had no trouble with it thus far when they pull up they account via phone number.

How does this Early Access to Black Friday deals work? Does it mean online or in-store? For door busters you they pass out vouchers from starting in the front of the line of people waiting outside the store. For the past 4 years I've waited outside at least 10-14 hours ahead of time to be 1st-10th in line and I don't recall anyone with Silver getting a voucher before me.

In past years it has been online only and no doorbusters were included.

In past years it has been online only and no doorbusters were included.
Strange, the customer service rep I talked to said that it's online and in-store and doorbusters are included. She also mentioned there should be an e-mail we get the Friday before or Monday of regarding the details. However, she was also semi-rude while helping me with my real problem and might have not known what she was talking about. This was the Elite-direct number as well.

Strange, the customer service rep I talked to said that it's online and in-store and doorbusters are included. She also mentioned there should be an e-mail we get the Friday before or Monday of regarding the details. However, she was also semi-rude while helping me with my real problem and might have not known what she was talking about. This was the Elite-direct number as well.
Perhaps they are changing it this year. But I have participated in the early access for the last 2 or 3 years now. Every time it was online only and did not include door busters. Granted I believe that makes a lot of sense since in general door busters aren't even online when BF starts. Door busters are to get people into a buying frenzy, So if you have 5 of a $700 TV (on sale for $300) and it sells out. The other people who wanted that TV are still in the mindset of "I WANT A TV!!!" so the store can upsell them to a $400-600 TV since it was so close to their $300 price point.

It's a lot more difficult to get upsells and add-ons with online sales due to not having an employee direct the customer or other items being right in their face at the store.

Perhaps they are changing it this year. But I have participated in the early access for the last 2 or 3 years now. Every time it was online only it was did not include door busters.
Yep. I've had early access for 3 years now and the doorbusters have not included online. Only the normal ad items.

Yep. I've had early access for 3 years now and the doorbusters have not included online. Only the normal ad items.
Thank you for quoting me, if for nothing else pointing out a huge grammatical error on my part. I had a late night yesterday and am still waking up from it.

Perhaps they are changing it this year. But I have participated in the early access for the last 2 or 3 years now. Every time it was online only and did not include door busters. Granted I believe that makes a lot of sense since in general door busters aren't even online when BF starts. Door busters are to get people into a buying frenzy, So if you have 5 of a $700 TV (on sale for $300) and it sells out. The other people who wanted that TV are still in the mindset of "I WANT A TV!!!" so the store can upsell them to a $400-600 TV since it was so close to their $300 price point.

It's a lot more difficult to get upsells and add-ons with online sales due to not having an employee direct the customer or other items being right in their face at the store.
In a sense I hope they don't change it to include in-store and doorbusters. Just un-fair to those who wait in line for 10+ hours like myself.

I pre-ordered a PS4 as it'll come out on 11\15... wonder if they'll have any in stock on 11\17 so I can re-buy it for the triple reward points... I would wait 2 more days just to get the triple reward points.  Just saying...

I pre-ordered a PS4 as it'll come out on 11\15... wonder if they'll have any in stock on 11\17 so I can re-buy it for the triple reward points... I would wait 2 more days just to get the triple reward points.  Just saying...
i believe preorders/ online orders at bestbuy are held for 7 days, but that is if you ordered through bestbuy.com. i am not 100% positive, IF you preordered in store,

In a sense I hope they don't change it to include in-store and doorbusters. Just un-fair to those who wait in line for 10+ hours like myself.
I fail to see how that matters. Not to be cliche but many things in life aren't fair. You can either wait in line for 10+ hours or spend $1500 per year and get early access and other benefits. I personally would love if the early access was in store as well. Would save me having to deal with the nonsense of the website crashing the second the sale starts.

Thank you. Any incentive to buy it at any retailer? I have a preorder at gamestop from a while ago yet I prefer not to do business with them.
I agree with that sentiment 100%, but sadly as far as I am aware GS has the best pre-order bonus. Pre-order one game get a poster, pre-order both and you get two different posters.

Nintendo games are pretty notorious for not getting pre-order bonuses besides maybe a little item here or there. They are never included in money back promos as far as I recall.

Anyone able to renew Gamers Club Unlocked since My Best Buy took over? I was in my local store for over a hour trying to do it but failed.

Anyone able to renew Gamers Club Unlocked since My Best Buy took over? I was in my local store for over a hour trying to do it but failed.
Not renewed, but I got it for the first time. There might be a pamphlet at the register under the POS and by the employee's legs.

There may also be a machine that can give you a barcode. I couldn't get that to work, but you apparently type "Unlocked" into the search bar and you can find it.

I went in to renew my subscription in store and they said they will no longer be offering the paid option. They also did not have any more of the digital subscriptions on shelves. I'm not ruling it out but maybe its done for? I'd love some clarification as I love the print magazine.

I signed up the other day. They ended up giving me a pamphlet and coupons from April, but they comped the whole thing so I got a year of unlocked for nothing.

I just renewed the other day.  Not a single employee in sight of the video game department.  You would think it would always be a featured offer in the kiosk, but it isn't.  You do need to use the search bar like someone mentioned.  Gamers club or unlocked should find it.  The other part is getting a normal cashier to know what it is.  When I put the paper on the counter with a couple other things, she completely ignored it.  When I picked it up and handed it to her,  all I got was a blank stare.  She finally read it(took her like three minutes) and eventually decided to scan it.  Luckily my status on RZ updated later that day and I did get my welcome coupons email.

Tried again today. No luck. The kiosk did not have Unlocked only the free gamers club. The brochure barcode also did not work again even with trying refresh. He even called corperate and after another half hour of my life wasted the only answer I got was that is that it might be they are working on a switch due the "My Best Buy" thing and to try calling 1800BESTBUY to see if they could help me, then sent me on my way.

Tried again today. No luck. The kiosk did not have Unlocked only the free gamers club. The brochure barcode also did not work again even with trying refresh. He even called corperate and after another half hour of my life wasted the only answer I got was that is that it might be they are working on a switch due the "My Best Buy" thing and to try calling 1800BESTBUY to see if they could help me, then sent me on my way.

Sounds to me like typical Best Buy ... the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing. Be it at the store level or corporate. So much uneccesary confusion.

I just renewed the other day. Not a single employee in sight of the video game department. You would think it would always be a featured offer in the kiosk, but it isn't. You do need to use the search bar like someone mentioned. Gamers club or unlocked should find it. The other part is getting a normal cashier to know what it is. When I put the paper on the counter with a couple other things, she completely ignored it. When I picked it up and handed it to her, all I got was a blank stare. She finally read it(took her like three minutes) and eventually decided to scan it. Luckily my status on RZ updated later that day and I did get my welcome coupons email.
Wait, you got the welcome packet coupons the same day? That must be record time lol. One more question, are the welcome coupons still good to use on Black friday?

bread's done
Back