my Best Buy - former BB Reward Zone Program

Dranakin

Member since Oct. 2003
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-Promotions/null/pcmcat309300050007.c?id=pcmcat309300050007

3 tiers, up from 2. Spend thresholds are $1500 and $3500 respectively, from $2500.

How do I qualify for My Best Buy Elite or Elite Plus?

Elite status is automatically awarded when you spend $1500 or more on qualifying purchases at Best Buy and BestBuy.com in a calendar year, or $1,500 or more in total anywhere on the My Best Buy MasterCard.

Elite Plus status is automatically awarded when you spend $3500 or more on qualifying purchases at Best Buy and BestBuy.com in a calendar year, $3,500 or more in total anywhere on the My Best Buy MasterCard

Reward Zone Gamers Club appears to now be my Best Buy Gamers Club, program benefits seem to be the same.

What are the benefits of the My Best Buy Gamers Club?

Benefits include:

Get 2X points on new game software, digital content and game accessories

Get 2X points when you trade in games
Special money-saving exclusive offers
Also:

Does it cost anything to be a My Best Buy Gamers Club member?

Gamers Club membership is free. You must be a U.S. or Puerto Rico resident at least 13 years of age with a valid e-mail address.
EDIT: Thanks to person123, who noted that there's still a Gamers Club Unlocked tier, in which benefits include the same 10% bonus trade-in credit, 10% discount off Pre-Owned Games, 10 issues of @Gamer magazine, and exclusive Paid Subscription offers.

---

I imagine we'll get some answers about current statuses in the next few days if you're a Silver member and/or a paid GCU member, since all the programs have changed.

Just to share, I was a Silver member and my status is now Elite Plus through the current status year.

Last edited by a moderator:
No no, the account has been sitting there for a few years, but the certificate is the recent "Gift for You" certificate for October.
Ah that makes sense. My bad. I have had luck in the past with my wife's RZ certs with my RZ account but she was with me every time. If your mother is able to accompany you, I'd suggest that. Better safe than sorry. I doubt they'd do it without her because they look on your account to see what certs u have stored

I was legit silver for 2013 and didn't get bumped to 2015.
Yes, it's already been confirmed about 4 times that the information I was given by customer service when I questioned why I got bumped to 2015 is incorrect. If anyone else reads my post and did not get plus through 2015, I believe that at this point it is wholly understood that I was mistaken, and further chiming in is probably unnecessary. ;)

Yes, it's already been confirmed about 4 times that the information I was given by customer service when I questioned why I got bumped to 2015 is incorrect. If anyone else reads my post and did not get plus through 2015, I believe that at this point it is wholly understood that I was mistaken, and further chiming in is probably unnecessary. ;)
I'm a little behind in this thread. Didn't see the other posts.

Of course I'd like them to compensate me for the 8 months that they're supposedly cancelling but any worthy CAG would have used the welcome packet coupons to recoup their subscription fee several times over. I've only used the B2G1 new coupon so far, but that saved me $39 and put me $24 over what I paid for the sub. The rest of the welcome coupons are just a bonus, plus I'll use whatever worthwhile @gamer coupons come out for the rest of the year.
They never gave me coupons and they talked crap about me for wanting to get the 10% bonus. I still haven't gotten more than it's worth.

For those that still receieve a physical copy of @Gamer magazine, they will be switching everyone to digital with the Jan/Feb 2014 issue. @Gamer confirmed today via Twitter.

Can I use Reward Certificates from other accounts? My mother has a Reward Zone account that she was automatically signed up for back when she bought a refrigerator a few years back.

She doesn't use the account, but the $5 promo reward zone certificate is sitting in there. If I printed it off would I have any trouble using it if my card is scanned first?
Certs are linked to the account that they fall under. Just tell them it's from your mom's account and they will manually input a discount for you.

Certs are linked to the account that they fall under. Just tell them it's from your mom's account and they will manually input a discount for you.

Not really true. Yeah they are linked to that account, but I've used other certificates in store with my RZ account with zero issues. They don't need to manually do anything, but the store may deny you the use of it due to it being under someone elses name.

For those that still receieve a physical copy of @Gamer magazine, they will be switching everyone to digital with the Jan/Feb 2014 issue. @Gamer confirmed today via Twitter.
That would make more sense in that the start of the new year they are doing away with PHYSICAL @Gamer and that may be changing the way GCU is handled. I still don't see GCU going away.

Definitely looking dead for GCU.  Went back to the same kiosk I renewed at very recently and it is no longer listed there.  Only the free version is there.  And of course there were no employees in sight to ask if they heard anything.

Not really true. Yeah they are linked to that account, but I've used other certificates in store with my RZ account with zero issues. They don't need to manually do anything, but the store may deny you the use of it due to it being under someone elses name.

That would make more sense in that the start of the new year they are doing away with PHYSICAL @Gamer and that may be changing the way GCU is handled. I still don't see GCU going away.
if gcu does goes away, it wouldn't be long until they get rid of video game trade ins

Just tried to use a cert from a different account, this past Sunday, and it didn't scan after inputting my account info.

Really? Show a legal basis for a door buster where it is advertised as limited stock is bait and switch. Show me legal precedence or case law of Best Buy being found to have been practicing bait and switch by advertising door buster items. None of that user submitted Wikipedia bullshit, though.

Others have told you it doesn't qualify, and I've explained why. However, since you're wrong and have no argument, why don't you just keep on trolling and changing quotes, handling the situation like a mature adult.

They never gave me coupons and they talked crap about me for wanting to get the 10% bonus. I still haven't gotten more than it's worth.
I will miss GCU, I have had it since the begining, it was worth it. I currently have over 1500 in BB GC. That is 150 worth in current tradein GCU alone. Doesn't account for:

lifetime tradeins,

coupons,

buying used game discounts on flips,

extra rewards points, GC's combined with the now defunct Pitchin card was especially sweet

and tradein/buying points towards elite status/free shipping.

Long story short, I recently had to call Best Buy customer service and they gave me a "case #" for my problem. For the life of me I can't find out what I do with this to check the status of my case.

Where do I go? Thanks in advance.

Long story short, I recently had to call Best Buy customer service and they gave me a "case #" for my problem. For the life of me I can't find out what I do with this to check the status of my case.

Where do I go? Thanks in advance.
you call back with your case number and they tell you what happened with it

I don't think that will work. My G/F got a credit card and instead of linking her reward zone to it, they made her a new one. They don't even allow her to use the points earned off of the regular rewards zone card, with the ones earned from the CC at the same time, because they are different accounts.

GCU apparently will be back. The FAQ on the mybestbuy site says sales have been stopped while enhancements are being made to the program and there will be news on Nov 10.

https://my.bestbuy.com/about/faq/

"Enhancements" to any reward program usually means you can expect to get less in the way of benefits, and rewards will be harder to earn

Doubtful it will be rebooted to the benefit of the consumer.

"Enhancements" to any reward program usually means you can expect to get less in the way of benefits, and rewards will be harder to earn

Doubtful it will be rebooted to the benefit of the consumer.
Depends on which class of consumer you're talking about. The My BestBuy revamp was a screw job for me (no TV calibration, shorter return period) but great for my friends and family who spend less at BestBuy (no more point expiration, lower $ threshold for Elite).

The GCU changes will probably be designed to drive business, esp. with people who preorder and pay full MSRP for things at GameStop. CAG's and flippers are sure to get hosed. I'll bet a $15 membership fee that the program is still worth the annual buy in, though.

I got hosed. Purchased GT5 on 9/16 and didn't get the $20 reward certificate. (Was a GCU member before they shuttered the program) Called their obviously outsourced customer service line and the had to explain GCU to the rep! Then supervisor "Bob" (I really hate being lied to.) told me that I was confusing a pre-order with a store pick-up and that pre-orders required a purchase be made a MINIMUM of four months before release. (No misunderstanding/language barrier here. I asked several questions to clarify.)

I emailed customer service and was told that the transaction was processed as a regular transaction and that the problem was my fault for deleting the confirmation email after I picked up the game. "But hey, [Stanley], you got double points which can eventually go towards a five dollar coupon, so we didn't totally screw you. If you have any questions, feel free to call our customer service line where our untrainef reps halfway around the world will be glad to talk to you in the same tone used to communicate with a small child." (At least that's how the last two lines read in my head.)

I'm not going to stop shopping there completely. (I love a good clearance move and I like Cowboom too much.) But whatever this new version of GCU is, they can choke on it.

I got hosed. Purchased GT5 on 9/16 and didn't get the $20 reward certificate. (Was a GCU member before they shuttered the program) Called their obviously outsourced customer service line and the had to explain GCU to the rep! Then supervisor "Bob" (I really hate being lied to.) told me that I was confusing a pre-order with a store pick-up and that pre-orders required a purchase be made a MINIMUM of four months before release. (No misunderstanding/language barrier here. I asked several questions to clarify.)

I emailed customer service and was told that the transaction was processed as a regular transaction and that the problem was my fault for deleting the confirmation email after I picked up the game. "But hey, [Stanley], you got double points which can eventually go towards a five dollar coupon, so we didn't totally screw you. If you have any questions, feel free to call our customer service line where our untrainef reps halfway around the world will be glad to talk to you in the same tone used to communicate with a small child." (At least that's how the last two lines read in my head.)

I'm not going to stop shopping there completely. (I love a good clearance move and I like Cowboom too much.) But whatever this new version of GCU is, they can choke on it.
Go to their forums and post under the Gamers Club section, those guys are more knowledgeable and helpful then phone / email support. It may take longer but they have always solved my problems.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/bd-p/gamersclub

Interesting rumor about BB going about. Not sure if it is true as it a rumor but something to keep an eye on.

Heard a new rumor from one of the managers i've known for a long time. He said that media/games is set to be reduced to a small new planogram featuring just new releases. Setup for TV/Movies and then several for the different gaming systems. Anderson is taking over games from the sounds of it, which was something bestbuy was doing up until last week. Cd's might be out for good at stores that don't sell enough.

New ministore inside a store are coming as well, similar to the Samsung experience. Microsoft and Google are two of the likely partners taking up some real estate. They've already made a large section available for the Xbox one and Surface 2/Windows 8.1 area.

Game trade in's will be stopping in Febuary according to the employee it has something to do with the new GCU program and mybestbuy.

Interesting rumor about BB going about. Not sure if it is true as it a rumor but something to keep an eye on.
My Best Buy already has a Microsoft ministore, so there might be some validity to this.

My Best Buy already has a Microsoft ministore, so there might be some validity to this.
Yeah, My BB is straight up this way.....There's a Samsung section, a MS section, even a little wooden Goole area(for their Chromebooks)....gaming is all but compressed as much as possible.....now it looks like a straigt up "mall" of sorts with different vendors hawking their specific products........kinda sucks

Sucks. I still buy alot of DVDs (Haven't gotten a Blu-Ray Player yet) & Games, and even the occasional Music CD from Best Buy. It looks like they're going to eventually force everyone into digital media by decade's end.

Confirmed on their forums by a mod. GCU will be back with the same kind of schtick about improvements and enhancements as the FAQ. Posted yesterday.

Greetings everyone!

The Games Club Unlocked membership that we have come to know and love is about to get boost, as we are working to enhance the membership.  In the mean time, we will not be able to renew current or create new Unlocked memberships.  Please check back with us in the next couple of weeks as the enhancement are made available.

Thank you kindly! 

blank.gif

blank.gif
Derek
blank.gif

Depends on which class of consumer you're talking about. The My BestBuy revamp was a screw job for me (no TV calibration, shorter return period) but great for my friends and family who spend less at BestBuy (no more point expiration, lower $ threshold for Elite).

The GCU changes will probably be designed to drive business, esp. with people who preorder and pay full MSRP for things at GameStop. CAG's and flippers are sure to get hosed. I'll bet a $15 membership fee that the program is still worth the annual buy in, though.
If you're Elite Plus you can still schedule your TV calibration appointment. Just call the Elite Plus hotline. The deadline is next Friday, Nov. 1st. I just called for my appointment and requested for one in January. They ask you to have used your TV for at least 100 hours before calibration and my plan is to get a new TV on BF. You can always reschedule your calibration appointment to a later date if need be.

Damn,  my plan of renewing to get the B2G1 coupon for Black Friday is gone now.  Well I guess I'll wait till October 2014 to renew, unless the coupons/deals get better before then.

If you're Elite Plus you can still schedule your TV calibration appointment. Just call the Elite Plus hotline. The deadline is next Friday, Nov. 1st. I just called for my appointment and requested for one in January. They ask you to have used your TV for at least 100 hours before calibration and my plan is to get a new TV on BF. You can always reschedule your calibration appointment to a later date if need be.
So... is the calibration worth it? Like, they go into the menu and mess around with some settings and that's it? I get that it's free but are you assuming they know what the optimal settings are and that it's gonna be better than what you have currently?

Yes and hell yes IF done correctly.

I did the settings someone posted online for my Samsung and it looks 20x better.

So... is the calibration worth it? Like, they go into the menu and mess around with some settings and that's it? I get that it's free but are you assuming they know what the optimal settings are and that it's gonna be better than what you have currently?
If you can schedule one then do it. Otherwise, find the service code for your TV and Google a rudimentary DIY guide. It won't be absolutely perfect but it will be miles above anything you can do in the regular menu. Just make sure you don't change a setting that will FUBAR your display.

I have a Sony XBR960 tube that I calibrated myself with an online guide and the picture is SO much better than when I got it. It was a total pain though since tubes have geometry issues not present in digital displays.

Yes and hell yes IF done correctly.

I did the settings someone posted online for my Samsung and it looks 20x better.

This ^

I had used the calibration settings that CNET posted (their in-house ISF calibration) when they reviewed my Vizio. I was convinced it was going to be a waste of time to get the calibration done. I was so wrong. The TV looked amazing when the calibration was finished. I was stunned at the difference. So much more detail in the picture.

As further proof, my wife even walked in the room and was like "Wow, the TV looks so much better." And she never cares or notices about anything electronic.

On the other side of the coin,
Maybe its just us, but my son and I watched the guy mess with the settings, look through some little sensor thing, and hook up some little contraption, and when it was all over we didn't notice any improvement.
I told the guy it looked better only because I felt bad about how much time he spent on it.

On the other side of the coin,
Maybe its just us, but my son and I watched the guy mess with the settings, look through some little sensor thing, and hook up some little contraption, and when it was all over we didn't notice any improvement.
I told the guy it looked better only because I felt bad about how much time he spent on it.
Sounds like he was measuring color levels and whatnot. I'd wager that your TV was already pretty close to the proper settings so he was just fine tuning it. The more out of whack the picture settings are, the more of a difference you'll notice when they're fixed.

I haven't had one done myself personally since I didn't want to pay a service tech (just googled the optimum settings like Metal said) but based on what I've read on AVS forums, they say professional calibrators are worth it in general. I don't know how good Geek Squad technicians are at this stuff in particular. Also since it's a big company, I suppose it will depend on the actual tech that comes out to your place. The estimate service time is approx. 2 hours too.

For the cost being free to you and the amount of time they are investing, it's worth the shot.

GCU is going to switch to a elite like membership where you must purchase so much to unlock it. The caveat being that you must purchase a certain amount of games before you unlock the deals and benefits of GCU. The same may be happening for movies/tv as well if what I was previously told stays true. Subscriptions may or may not continue he didn't seem to know anything concrete.

Trade in's are effectively going to only happen via the website in the future. They are being told that they will be sending customers to CS and then the CSR is to help customers with submitting trades during the switch over. They will then be taken and shipped out by the store. This is essentially how it is done now but one small change. You will get a e-giftcard in an email after the games have been received by the trade in company. 

I don't know about you but this sounds like a stop gap while the stores undergo whatever changes internally during the transition to the new GCU program whatever that ends up being. They might be switching to new a company for trades.

Express lanes for Elite members are going to be in place for all of the holiday season. Giving those that have it priority to gs/cs and checkout lanes. If it's successful they will stay after the holidays.

You might also be able to pay a yearly subscription to get the Elite benefits as well in the future. It would be included in some warranty services as well as well as cinema now in some form or fashion. The idea is to compete with Amazon prime's offerings. 

When I have more info I'll let you guys know.

Take as a grain of salt...

GCU is going to switch to a elite like membership where you must purchase so much to unlock it. The caveat being that you must purchase a certain amount of games before you unlock the deals and benefits of GCU. The same may be happening for movies/tv as well if what I was previously told stays true. Subscriptions may or may not continue he didn't seem to know anything concrete.

Trade in's are effectively going to only happen via the website in the future. They are being told that they will be sending customers to CS and then the CSR is to help customers with submitting trades during the switch over. They will then be taken and shipped out by the store. This is essentially how it is done now but one small change. You will get a e-giftcard in an email after the games have been received by the trade in company.

I don't know about you but this sounds like a stop gap while the stores undergo whatever changes internally during the transition to the new GCU program whatever that ends up being. They might be switching to new a company for trades.

Express lanes for Elite members are going to be in place for all of the holiday season. Giving those that have it priority to gs/cs and checkout lanes. If it's successful they will stay after the holidays.

You might also be able to pay a yearly subscription to get the Elite benefits as well in the future. It would be included in some warranty services as well as well as cinema now in some form or fashion. The idea is to compete with Amazon prime's offerings.

When I have more info I'll let you guys know.

Take as a grain of salt...
Ugh, I really hope GCU stays as a paid sub and the free version has the spending requirement. I almost never buy games at MSRP during the first part of the year.

bread's done
Back