My first college essay: Why aren't I dead yet!?

VanillaGorilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
My name is Allen, and if you’re reading this, then there is a pretty good chance I am not dead yet. All my life, I have narrowly avoided the scythe of The Reaper, and on many occasions, I have come out of those encounters unscathed. For all intents and purposes, I should be nothing more than a pile of rotting bones by now, being picked apart by soil dwelling worms, but somehow, I have made it this long without meeting my maker. And while some of my experiences may sound like the crazy exaggerations of a deranged glue sniffer, I can assure you that they are all true.

As a young child, I grew up in a very dangerous part of town. One day, I rode my bicycle right past a house in which a man was bludgeoned to death over money to go to a Subway restaurant. I thought nothing of the sounds emanating from the house, as I had known that my neighborhood had its fair share of psychotics. The noises coming from inside didn’t seem like what you would associate with a homicide. I’m sure if someone had screamed “Help, I am being murdered, call the local authorities!”, I might have become suspicious. Although, it was probably a good thing that I didn’t interject myself into the situation. Surely, if I had witnessed the ordeal as it happened, the 2 assailants would have chased me down and beaten me mercilessly. To this day, I still wonder if those 2 killers ever went to Subway, and if so, does a sandwich taste better after you’ve just killed a man for it?

Not long after this incident, I found myself in my high school gym classs. The high school I attended had its own Olympic sized swimming pool, which we used for a portion of the year. I never learned how to swim, so for most of the class periods, I would stalk the deep end, and wrestle with the giant foam rubber shark we used as a flotation device. However, after all this time in the shallow end, I became jealous of my friends, who could soar majestically through the air, thanks to the diving board. And since Man has yearned to fly for centuries, I decided that it was my turn to attempt flight. Without a life jacket or water wings, I climbed the diving board. As my peers looked on in disbelief, I took to the air. It was a magnificent dive, that famed Olympic diving judge Dr. Leo Donath would have deemed a perfect 10. The subsequent exit from the pool, however, proved more trouble than I had originally intended. As I thrashed my limbs about, attempting to draw attention to my plight, my classmates pointed at me and laughed. My reputation as a huckster had meant that I was not to be taken seriously. To counteract this, I decided to spew profanity, hoping this tactic would draw the attention of the swimming instructor. After what seemed like hours, one of my friends finally dove in and rescued me from the abyss. To him, I am forever grateful.

As you have now read, I have not only had one foot in the grave, I’ve done dirt angels in my plot. It’s only a matter of time before fate catches up to me, and by now, I have come to welcome its cold, clammy hands on my shoulder. Before long, those hands will wrap around my neck and finally finish the job it’s been unable to accomplish for all these years.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']My name is Allen, and if you’re reading this, then there is a pretty good chance I am not dead yet. All my life, I have narrowly avoided the scythe of The Reaper, and on many occasions, I have come out of those encounters unscathed. For all intents and purposes, I should be nothing more than a pile of rotting bones by now, being picked apart by soil dwelling worms, but somehow, I have made it this long without meeting my maker. And while some of my experiences may sound like the crazy exaggerations of a deranged glue sniffer, I can assure you that they are all true.

As a young child, I grew up in a very dangerous part of town. One day, I rode my bicycle right past a house in which a man was bludgeoned to death over money to go to a Subway restaurant. I thought nothing of the sounds emanating from the house, as I had known that my neighborhood had its fair share of psychotics. The noises coming from inside didn’t seem like what you would associate with a homicide. I’m sure if someone had screamed “Help, I am being murdered, call the local authorities!”, I might have become suspicious. Although, it was probably a good thing that I didn’t interject myself into the situation. Surely, if I had witnessed the ordeal as it happened, the 2 assailants would have chased me down and beaten me mercilessly. To this day, I still wonder if those 2 killers ever went to Subway, and if so, does a sandwich taste better after you’ve just killed a man for it?

Not long after this incident, I found myself in my high school gym classs. The high school I attended had its own Olympic sized swimming pool, which we used for a portion of the year. I never learned how to swim, so for most of the class periods, I would stalk the deep end, and wrestle with the giant foam rubber shark we used as a flotation device. However, after all this time in the shallow end, I became jealous of my friends, who could soar majestically through the air, thanks to the diving board. And since Man has yearned to fly for centuries, I decided that it was my turn to attempt flight. Without a life jacket or water wings, I climbed the diving board. As my peers looked on in disbelief, I took to the air. It was a magnificent dive, that famed Olympic diving judge Dr. Leo Donath would have deemed a perfect 10. The subsequent exit from the pool, however, proved more trouble than I had originally intended. As I thrashed my limbs about, attempting to draw attention to my plight, my classmates pointed at me and laughed. My reputation as a huckster had meant that I was not to be taken seriously. To counteract this, I decided to spew profanity, hoping this tactic would draw the attention of the swimming instructor. After what seemed like hours, one of my friends finally dove in and rescued me from the abyss. To him, I am forever grateful.

As you have now read, I have not only had one foot in the grave, I’ve done dirt angels in my plot. It’s only a matter of time before fate catches up to me, and by now, I have come to welcome its cold, clammy hands on my shoulder. Before long, those hands will wrap around my neck and finally finish the job it’s been unable to accomplish for all these years.[/QUOTE]
failsj1.jpg

Wtf? What's this "essay" about? It seems more like a story you'd tell to your buddies than a college essay.

"Hey dudes, check this out. I've seen a bunch of crazy stuff happen and I'm still A-ok!" :)

I hate writing essays so you have my sympathy.

[quote name='strdr4']Wtf? What's this "essay" about? It seems more like a story you'd tell to your buddies than a college essay.

"Hey dudes, check this out. I've seen a bunch of crazy stuff happen and I'm still A-ok!" :)

I hate writing essays so you have my sympathy.[/quote]It was a "no less than 2 page" essay on myself, and what makes me unique. It was also supposed to have an overall theme.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']It was a "no less than 2 page" essay on myself, and what makes me unique. It was also supposed to have an overall theme.[/quote]
My question was answered. Just wanted to know what the essay was about. So I'm guessing if you double spaced that all out, it's as long as two pages? I liked it because you write very well. Oh, and cause I didn't get bored reading it.

A-A+ B+ A.

[quote name='thekeybladewars']My question was answered. Just wanted to know what the essay was about. So I'm guessing if you double spaced that all out, it's as long as two pages? I liked it because you write very well. Oh, and cause I didn't get bored reading it.

A-A+ B+ A.[/quote]Double spaced, it was a page and a half

[quote name='mr ryles']I'm glad you can define your life around 2 subtle events.[/quote]Yes, because 23 years worth of life events can be summed up in "no less than 2 pages", right?

fucking moron.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yes, because 23 years worth of life events can be summed up in "no less than 2 pages", right?

fucking moron.[/QUOTE]

Ya I guess if they threw in an extra page you could have told a story about a trip to Arby's.

I don't like how the essay doesn't know whether it is formal or informal.

[quote name='mr ryles']Ya I guess if they threw in an extra page you could have told a story about a trip to Arby's.[/quote]Here's one:

"I went to the drive thru of Arbys today, and I saw Mr. Ryles standing there placing his order on foot. I didn't hesitate running him over with my car."

I give it an A+

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Here's one:

"I went to the drive thru of Arbys today, and I saw Mr. Ryles standing there placing his order on foot. I didn't hesitate running him over with my car."

I give it an A+[/QUOTE]

:roll:

you saying that jumping off a diving board and riding your bike through the suburbs are flirting with death reminds me of this kid who worked at mcdonalds saying he is going to be a millionaire one day.

[quote name='mr ryles']you saying that jumping off a diving board and riding your bike through the suburbs are flirting with death reminds me of this kid who worked at mcdonalds saying he is going to be a millionaire one day.[/quote]Yes, because obviously, that essay was 100 percent serious , as is everything I post :roll:

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']My name is Allen, and if you’re reading this, then there is a pretty good chance I am not dead yet. All my life, I have narrowly avoided the scythe of The Reaper The Reaper's scythe try to avoid using the "of phrase" when refering to a proper noun, and on many occasions, I have come out of those encounters unscathed. For all intents and purposes, I should be nothing more than a pile of rotting bones by now, being picked apart by soil dwelling worms, but somehow, I have made it this long without meeting my maker. And until you have a more developed style and tone try to avoid begining sentences with "And" while some of my experiences may sound like the crazy exaggerations of a deranged glue sniffer, I can assure you that they are all true.

As a young child, I grew up in a very dangerous part of town. One day, I rode my bicycle right past a house in which a man was bludgeoned to death over money to go to a Subway restaurant. Try to break this long awkward sentence down into two sentences I thought nothing of the sounds emanating from the house, as I had known that my neighborhood had its fair share of psychotics i think you mean psycho's or psycopaths here. The noises coming from inside didn’t seem like what you would associate with a homicide. I’m sure if someone had screamed “Help, I am being murdered, call the local authorities!”, I might have become suspicious. Although, it was probably a good thing that I didn’t interject myself into the situation. Surely, if I had witnessed the ordeal as it happened, the 2 assailants would have chased me down and beaten me mercilessly. To this day, I still wonder if those 2 killers ever went to Subway, and if so, does a sandwich taste better after you’ve just killed a man for it? This paragraph is confusing... did you ride by WHILE the murder was taking place? or was this after the fact?

Not long after this incident, I found myself in my high school gym classs. The high school I attended had its own Olympic sized swimming pool, which we used for a portion of the year. I never learned how to swim, so for most of the class periods, I would stalk the deep end stalk=stealthily hunt... is that what you mean here?, and wrestle with the giant foam rubber shark we used as a flotation device. However, after all this time in the shallow end, I became jealous of my friends, who could soar majestically through the air, thanks to the diving board. And since Man mankind has yearned to fly for centuries, I decided that it was my turn to attempt flight. Without a life jacket or water wings, I climbed the diving board. As my peers looked on in disbelief, I took to the air. It was a magnificent dive, that famed Olympic diving judge Dr. Leo Donath would have deemed a perfect 10. The subsequent exit from the pool, however, proved more trouble than I had originally intended. As I thrashed my limbs about, attempting to draw attention to my plight, my classmates pointed at me and laughed. My reputation as a huckster again i'm not sure this is what you meant to say... had meant that I was not to be taken seriously. To counteract this, I decided to spew profanity profanities, hoping this tactic would draw the attention of the swimming instructor. After what seemed like hours, one of my friends finally dove in and rescued me from the abyss. To him, I am forever grateful.

As you have now read
unnecessary... the readers know that they have just read that... , I have not only had one foot in the grave, I’ve done dirt angels in my plot. It’s only a matter of time before fate catches up to me, and by now, I have come to welcome its [/s] since you are personifing death why not use a pronoun here? cold, clammy hands on my shoulder. Before long, those hands will wrap around my neck and finally finish the job it’s and here? been unable to accomplish for all these years.[/quote]

since a bunch of people are being... less than courteous i did a quick look through for you. feel free to accept or reject any of my criticisms. also kudos on getting back in the classroom! (bold are addition/revison underlines are comments =] )

I didn't read this as a school essay (I figured it would be a story about the essay, not the essay itself). Still, if it's suppose to be no less than 2 pages, the professor isn't looking for a 20 page story here. 2-3 pages is what they want (most of the time, there are always exceptions to the rule). Given this information, you aren't going to write about much in your life. You hit 2 defining moments.

If you have to add a bit, just add a few sentences on how these 2 events helped shape you into who you are today. Maybe you are always suspicious when you hear fighting behind a house. Maybe you can't eat a meatball sub anymore. Just something to show how these were defining moments in your life now.

[quote name='Vampyre611']since a bunch of people are being... less than courteous i did a quick look through for you. feel free to accept or reject any of my criticisms. also kudos on getting back in the classroom! (bold are addition/revison underlines are comments =] )[/quote]

Well done.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yes, because 23 years worth of life events can be summed up in "no less than 2 pages", right?

fucking moron.[/QUOTE]

you realize that you havent written "no less than 2 pages" right?

[quote name='BasketCase1080']Who you calling 'fucking moron'? 23 and this is your first college essay... Way to play your cards right...[/quote]Yes, because every person in America needs to go straight to college after high school, or else they are automatically a dumbass loser. I apologize for calling Mr. Ryles a moron. YOU sir, a the fucking moron. But I wouldn't expect anything less from a Brewers fan.

I'm not surprised by all the douchebaggery in this thread, I'm really not. Now, was that sentence correct? Can one of you Super Geniuses please let me know, I ain't da best booklearner!

I wrote about a dozen sentences for English Comp 1 in college. It took me about 5 minutes before I left for school to write it, and all it wwas was an essay about how the army is unfair to women and gays, more so women. I got an A on it, the "teacher" was a woman, but she gave As out like candy to children on Halloween.

And I say you should take some time off after HS. If you can make it through the hell of HS, unless things have changed since I was there, you deserve time off.

And most of the country doesn't go to college anyways.

VanillaGorilla, I liked your essay. People on message boards can be douches so just discount their posts.

You should have Ikohn4ever proofread your essay, he likes it.

BTW, for future reference when your "no more than 2 page" assignments end and your "no less than 20 page" assignments begin remember that the font "Courrier New" is your friend. That will turn 15 pages into 20 in a matter of seconds.

I think by saying it was an "essay", people are making it out to be this important, strictly graded thing. It was the first day of the class, and the instructor basically said "Here is this thing, write out no MORE than 2 pages about yourself, try to keep some kind of theme to it, and have it done by the end of class." She didn't say crap about formal/informal, or any of that other academic essay structure. It's an assignment they give so that they can find out a little bit about your writing style.

And truthfully, I half assed the thing because when we were done, we could just leave, and I wanted to get to Wing Tuesday at Buffalo Wild Wings.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yes, because every person in America needs to go straight to college after high school, or else they are automatically a dumbass loser. I apologize for calling Mr. Ryles a moron. YOU sir, a the fucking moron. But I wouldn't expect anything less from a Brewers fan.

I'm not surprised by all the douchebaggery in this thread, I'm really not. Now, was that sentence correct? Can one of you Super Geniuses please let me know, I ain't da best booklearner![/quote]
I'm not going to be a douchebag man, but in honest constructive critisism of your style and overall content of your essay, your style is smarmy and indulgent and in the context of the internet, you should expect backlash because quite frankly, it's warranted.

There are millions of people who've had closer calls to death than you and simply being next to a building where someone was being murdered does not constitute a 'Why am I not dead" calibur essay. The 'drowning' incident? That is every single little kid who has never learned to swim stepping in a body of water that goes over his head. It makes you look full of yourself, and as a matter of fact, I've had closer calls to death than that. I'm sure others here in CAG have as well.

Just because you compare your halfway ordinary experiences to the extraordinary experiences of others does not make your experiences any more worthy. It's no different than a C-list celebrity name-dropping A-list names to make himself seem that much more important, no different than the character of Stu in Phone Booth. It's pretentious and it's insulting. You can do better than this.

The fact is that by the end of the essay you have not convinced me that you have one foot in the grave, nor have you convinced me that you've done any dirt angels in your plot. You just like to pretend that you do and to me, that's disingenuous. You may not take it seriously and you may just half-ass it, but that doesn't mean the people reading your essay aren't going to compare it the essays of those people who do take their writing seriously and who aren't going to half-ass anything.

If this were a blog post, it would be critiqued differently, but since this is for college, which a lot of people take very seriously, myself included, it has to be held up to another level of standard.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I'm not going to be a douchebag man, but in honest constructive critisism of your style and overall content of your essay, your style is smarmy and indulgent and in the context of the internet, you should expect backlash because quite frankly, it's warranted.

There are millions of people who've had closer calls to death than you and simply being next to a building where someone was being murdered does not constitute a 'Why am I not dead" calibur essay. The 'drowning' incident? That is every single little kid who has never learned to swim stepping in a body of water that goes over his head. It makes you look full of yourself, and as a matter of fact, I've had closer calls to death than that. I'm sure others here in CAG have as well.

Just because you compare your halfway ordinary experiences to the extraordinary experiences of others does not make your experiences any more worthy. It's no different than a C-list celebrity name-dropping A-list names to make himself seem that much more important, no different than the character of Stu in Phone Booth. It's pretentious and it's insulting. You can do better than this.

The fact is that by the end of the essay you have not convinced me that you have one foot in the grave, nor have you convinced me that you've done any dirt angels in your plot. You just like to pretend that you do and to me, that's disingenuous. You may not take it seriously and you may just half-ass it, but that doesn't mean the people reading your essay aren't going to compare it the essays of those people who do take their writing seriously and who aren't going to half-ass anything.

If this were a blog post, it would be critiqued differently, but since this is for college, which a lot of people take very seriously, myself included, it has to be held up to another level of standard.[/quote]We'll see what the instructor says when, after reading 25 "My name is such and such and I like music, I like this band and this band and this band" papers, she finds something original.

Its pretty far into the semester to be turning in your first paper for this type of class, especially with it only being 2 pages. What class is it for?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']We'll see what the instructor says when, after reading 25 "My name is such and such and I like music, I like this band and this band and this band" papers, she finds something original.[/quote]

But if you were only interested in the what the instructor said, why bother posting it here? ;) Anyway, I'm just speaking from my college experience and true to what you've said, each instructor has their own quirks.

I just think that throwing it out on the internet wasn't really the best way to go about getting a 'Oh look at how witty that is" response, if indeed that's what you were going for because, as I said earlier, students take these things far more seriously (at times perhaps even more so than the instructors) than you thought they would.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I'm not going to be a douchebag man, but in honest constructive critisism of your style and overall content of your essay, your style is smarmy and indulgent and in the context of the internet, you should expect backlash because quite frankly, it's warranted.

If this were a blog post, it would be critiqued differently, but since this is for college, which a lot of people take very seriously, myself included, it has to be held up to another level of standard.[/quote]

I'm glad you saved me the time from writing something along the same lines. In a two page essay, you need FOCUS. You can't waste a word. Most professors expect two page essays to be outstanding in flow and organization, grammar and to clearly tell a story (that is to say "have a point". Your point appears to be (though, it's not entirely clear) that you've walked a line of life and death, that is completely harrowing. As pointed out, by Zen Davis, the examples don't nearly support an essay of "that calibur[sic]."

The result is that you come across as boastful (hardcore?) and it makes me wonder, "What is so extreme about this?" I know people that have had things far, far worse happen with far greater frequency. I'm not saying that you need to have a more extreme example to tell your story - or that your life stories aren't interesting - but perhaps it would be more effective if you picked your one craziest example, went into more detail, and titled it something more along the lines of "The Day that Changed my Life" or "I Could Have Died that Day"... (I don't know...) I walked away from that essay with the feeling of,

"Dude, my life is so crazy.. you don't even know." This story telling approach would work better if we were stoned and you were passing me a beer.

But, on paper it's coming across as arrogant. Now I realize this is your first paper, but this vibe is only exacerbated by all of your grammar mistakes - particularly in the title which translates to "Why Are Not I Dead Yet?." There are no excuses for mistakes like these in college. It tells the professor you wrote it in fifteen minutes. Some two page papers will take you days to write.

Perhaps this is one of your first essays that is receiving college level criticism. I don't know what your high school experience was like. Like anything else, though, if you want to get better just take the suggestions and write, write, write all the time. If you're going to stick with college, even community college you may find yourself writing 45-100 page papers. It would probably be good practice for you to take a class that forces you to be less colloquial. Just so you can work on structure, your theisis and your point. Telling stories in a casual tone is supposed to look easy, but it's actually quite challenging.

All that said - good for you for writing. If you keep practicing (and read, read read!!) you will improve a lot. That's the whole point of these college exercises, anyway.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']We'll see what the instructor says when, after reading 25 "My name is such and such and I like music, I like this band and this band and this band" papers, she finds something original.[/quote]

You're really reminding me of the kid in A Christmas Story when he turns in his "Why I Want a Red Ryder BB Gun," essay....

"....never had such poetry flown from my pen!"

Just make sure to remember to step back from the professor after you hand it to him/her.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Any particular reason you chose death as a subject?[/quote]

Because you know he was going to die if he didn't get none of them there buffalo wings! Tell 'em Gorilla!

[quote name='Zen Davis']Because you know he was going to die if he didn't get none of them there buffalo wings! Tell 'em Gorilla![/quote]

Free speech aside...

Unless the topic assigned was death, I don't know why someone would draw attention to themselves by writing about it. Especially in the wake of the VA Tech shootings.

bread's done
Back