N64 game case project - live!

I think there's a decent chance. I would like to, but of course all I have is games and basic Photoshop skills. It can't happen unless people have the boxes to scan.

I can imagine that there will be a cover project for some other system in the [relatively near] future though, so it makes sense to architect your database and code in such a manner that it doesn't assume GBA or N64.

Thanks a ton Snowcone! Nice work with the site! Awesome!

Hell yeah!

[quote name='Snowcone']Is this something you guys are going to actually move forward with? (snes covers)[/QUOTE]

As for that, don't worry about it for a few months. A few people have said they'd like a project for it, but.. it's way to hard to make that happen right now. We should wait until at least 98% of N64 games are covered first.

Besides, it's hard enough scrounging up last-gen games' boxes, much less 2x-ago-gen games' boxes. Plus, IIRC there's at least 2 times as many SNES games as N64 games.

And on that note, I upload:

Yoshi's Story

Oh, lastly, my internet connection has gone awry on me again. I'm now limited to using the internet on campus, which means that until I figure out another system, I can only check the web at random times between noon and midnight and not as often.. ugh.

It won't stop me from making covers though, since I can just download raw scans, cover them at home, then come back here to upload them.

Yeah, I don't foresee any other cover projects happening any time soon, I just wanted him to take it into account so he wouldn't have to edit his site yet again if there's another one and he graciously hosts it. :)

I just got the list of completed scans to load up today, I'm scrounging around for where I put all of my N64 boxes. I found Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire so far in perfect condition, will scan and upload asap. Most of the popular boxes are already scanned though, hopefully I'll find something a bit rarer :)

I'm new to this project, but I'm still looking to help.

I just uploaded Resident Evil 2 scans to the raw scan directory. I'm no good with photoshop so I'll leave that to the professionals. I have several more boxes, but would like to know if the scans I submitted are good enough and workable. My scanner is ancient and my scanning abilities also aren't very good.

[quote name='slash000']
That's it for now. I haven't put them in the online album yet because I'm in a hurry, so I'll do that tomorrow, and also delete the raw files.[/QUOTE]

I took care of it for you. Thanks for the new covers!

Nate

[quote name='Toukijin']I just got the list of completed scans to load up today, I'm scrounging around for where I put all of my N64 boxes. I found Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire so far in perfect condition, will scan and upload asap. Most of the popular boxes are already scanned though, hopefully I'll find something a bit rarer :)[/QUOTE]

Awesome, Shadows of the Empire is a popular one that we still need. :)

[quote name='timred']I'm new to this project, but I'm still looking to help.

I just uploaded Resident Evil 2 scans to the raw scan directory. I'm no good with photoshop so I'll leave that to the professionals. I have several more boxes, but would like to know if the scans I submitted are good enough and workable. My scanner is ancient and my scanning abilities also aren't very good.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the raw scan. It's a little dark, but that's easy to fix -- just turn the brightness up a little bit in your scanner settings when you make more scans. The one you submitted (RE2) will be okay, I can fix that by adjusting some things in Paint Shop Pro, but it'd help us out a bit if you turn up the brightness a bit on your next raw scans.

Otherwise, your scans were perfectly suitable. So upload any more box scans that we don't have yet!

[quote name='nate1749']I took care of it for you. Thanks for the new covers!

Nate[/QUOTE]

Thanks, :)

Just uploaded SotE, I have both spines, but only uploaded one of them. If you want to use the bottom spine, or if anyone else would like to use it make their own custom box using the bottom spine instead, just let me know and I'll add it to the album.

Keep up the good work guys!

[quote name='Toukijin']Just uploaded SotE, I have both spines, but only uploaded one of them. If you want to use the bottom spine, or if anyone else would like to use it make their own custom box using the bottom spine instead, just let me know and I'll add it to the album.

Keep up the good work guys![/QUOTE]

Sweet, I'll do SotE tonight, and upload tomorrow.

I don't know if this will interest anyone or not, but what the heck. I work at a high volume corporation in the accounting department and we get all sorts of samples for different things. Well, we're switching over to a new invoicing system that requires us to have high resolution bar codes. The one problem is they come with a perforated bottom lining. Or at least they were supposed to. I got my hands on a whole ream of paper they were going to throw out anyway, custom ordered 32lb. matte legal paper designed for use with color lasers. I'm gonna test it out on the professional laser printer that we use for printing business cards, it prints at 600dpi, and I'll let you guys know how it does.

*IF* it works out, I'll make a tally of how many sheets I have and I'd be willing to print the covers and mail them to whoever wanted them for whatever the cost is for shipping. I figure have two blank outside sheets of just regular 20lb. legal paper, pressed between two pieces of cardboard for support, and throw it in a legal size envelope. I'm not sure what it'd cost to send, but it's probably less than Kinko's. We lease the color laser printer and the lease runs out in August, so I figure I might as well give the printer back with an empty drum :)

Just throwing it out there, to see if there was any interest. Just to sort of time stamp this entry, there'd be no way I could do this after August 10th or so. No more printer.

Toukijin

[quote name='nate1749']Uploaded Castlevania to album & deleted raws.[/quote]
Thanks again. :)

[quote name='nate1749']
18.5% complete - just 5 more to get to 20%, was hoping to make this by the end of June. I'll go bump the post over at digitpress to see if more people will help.[/QUOTE]

Well, I just got 7 more done:

CastleVania Legacy of Darkness

Cruisin' Exotica

GT64 Championship Edition

N64 Expansion Pack

Resident Evil 2

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
edit: the above link is broken, weird. I'll put it in the online album.

Turok 3 Shadow of Oblivion

So that should put us at over 20%, :)

Even so, I hope people from Digitpress can submit more raw scans. I know we still have a bunch of raws that are still uncovered, but the sooner we get all the raw scans possible the sooner we will essentially have the n64 library at our covering access.

Wow. Guys, I just have to say how absofrigginamazing this is. I though the GBA project was the coolest thing ever and loved seeing older GB games get done too, but this is just awesome.

I'm 100% positive that while it may be slow starting, an SNES and Genesis project would work. I know a lot of people still have boxes from those consoles.

I was recently thinking of trying to Ebay all my old N64, Genesis, and SNES games just to get the ones with boxes, but I'll just do this instead. Too bad there's no case that works for NES games eh?

[quote name='Zeo'] Too bad there's no case that works for NES games eh?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there is - just not these MediaShelving cases. NEW game rental was huge in the late 80s and early 90s, and all the stores (that I saw) used generic plastic cases. At least NES games have their black sleeves though.

[quote name='XboxHardcore.com']That's a whole lot of ink to be wasting....[/QUOTE]

Indeed :). Alternatives for printing include Kinkos, OfficeMax, university campus computer labs, office printers, etc.

Kinko's or OfficeMax is a good option for those not looking to spend on ink cartridges. Although I printed off about 18 covers on one inkjet cartridge on Normal quality without running out by far, so.. it's not too bad. Unless you have a huge N64 collection.. which some people do, :p.

[quote name='Backlash']Where the New Tetris love? I thought for sure we'd have that one by now. That was a great game.[/QUOTE]

I've got that box in emaculate condition. I'll toss one together for the site. I've also got 20 mint SNES boxes, so I guess I'll get that one rollin as well. ;)

I've got about 44 decent NES boxes, so if someone can find a case (Blockbuster used to have one that took sleeves), I'll start on those when I'm done with SNES (and New Tetris ;)

I've got some of the WWF titles for N64 hiding somewhere, but I know they're in good condition, will upload as soon as I find them. I'm frantically looking for my SNES/NES boxes too, I saved a fair amount of them. I have around 20 NES boxes (probably some matching with Mayor), and I don't remember how many SNES, but I'd say at least 10. And if anyone was following my previous thread, I printed 5 covers on the 32lb. bond matte legal paper I got my hands on and they look pretty damn good, I'll take some pictures once my storage boxes come in.

Toukijin

This is so cool. You guys are awesome! When I go home this weekend, I'll check my old stash of game boxes. I think I've got about 10 or so N64 boxes, and about 50 SNES, Genesis and NES. I'll get crackin on that.

Also, is there anyway you guys can leave the raw spine art up for a bit? I would like to make spines that are as close to the original as possible. I'm picky.

I uploaded The New Tetris on Snackbar. I was able to do a few SNES inserts while watching a movie tonight, but there's nowhere to upload those. Snackbar needs a SNES section stat!

I just noticed a minor imperfection on the New Tetris spine (dark green in the lower right corner) that I'll have to fix. If I upload the same file will it just overwrite the other one?

I have Final Fantasy II, Zelda, FZero, Mega Man X, Tetris Attack and Bulls vs. Blazers scanned, cleaned and insert-ized.

I'll need to come up with a good spine logo. For now I'm just using them as is....

Alright, I've got a first pass on a few more SNES boxes done. I'd be interested in feedback on the light levels. Since the boxes are black, I play with the levels to get them true black and then paint out any scratches or nicks in the box. I'm curious to see if this is perceptable on someone elses monitor with different gamma settings. I've got these done so far:

Bulls Vs. Blazers
Final Fantasy II
FZero
MegaManX
Mortal Kombat
Secret of Mana
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
Super Metroid
Tetris Attack
Super Mario Kart (Players Choice Box)
Zelda

When I'm done I'll go back over each of them meticulously to get rid of every imperfection. I have these left to do:

Super Metroid (alt box)
Populous
Prince of Persia
Super Star Wars
Super Street Fighter
Super Tennis
Madden NFL '94
Mortal Kombat II

I'm still waiting to upload these until Snackbar adds a SNES section and I work out a spine treatment (as I might have to retouch these). Here is the FZero box for anyone to check out.:

The small button logo on the spine looks odd next to the normal sized button logo on the front. This can't be helped due to the size of the spine. The levels are off a little too. Maybe this won't be a big deal when you put it in the case, but I haven't received my cases yet so I can't check. I haven't found a good logo that might work in it's place. Anyone have any ideas? The Super Nintendo logo is too long and thin.... Maybe just all black?

I'm on a pocket PC so this'll have to be quick:

1. If you upload a file to snackbar with the same filename as a previous upload, it will overwrite the old with the new one.

2. If there's gonna be a Snes project, can it be handled in its own thread? Doing 2 of these ambitious projects simultaneously, they kind of distract from one another, in the same thread anyway. I can help with a Snes project too, but not until this one is completely done.

Otherwise, keep the raw/final covers coming! Good job so far!

Just finished:

MLB ftr. Ken Griffey Jr.
NBA Live 99
Space Station Silicon Valley (black)
Space Station Silicon Valley (red)

I'll upload tomorrow or Monday.

I just went throught the list over at Snackbar and realized that I have another 7 N64 boxes that aren't listed. Is that the master list? Can I assume that if it's not up there or mentioned in this thread, that someone isn't working on it?

Here's what I've got:
Mario Kart 64 (original packaging)
Donkey Kong 64
Killer Instinct Gold
Extreme G
NBA Live 2000
Madden 2000
Madden 2001

(my Maddens are still shrink wrapped. This may cause scanner problems. If it does, I'll skip them. I don't think I'm going to unwrap them just to scan them. :)

Let me know if any of these have been done and maybe just don't show up on the list yet....;)

[quote name='Mayor McCheese']

Mario Kart 64 (original packaging)
Killer Instinct Gold
Extreme G
NBA Live 2000
Madden 2000
Madden 2001
[/QUOTE]

Upload these. DK64 is completed. The others we still need. We have the Players Choice for Mario Kart 64, but it'd be nice to have the original packaging.

Scan and upload the Maddens, even though they're shrink-wrapped. If the scanner gives it trouble, we should be able to photoshop out any problematic defects.

[quote name='slash000']Just finished:

MLB ftr. Ken Griffey Jr.
NBA Live 99
Space Station Silicon Valley (black)
Space Station Silicon Valley (red)

I'll upload tomorrow or Monday.[/QUOTE]

Ah, just got a chance to upload these earlier today. So, cross 'em off the list!

[quote name='onetrackmind']anyone have like 7 of the cases i could buy off them?[/QUOTE]
I'm interested in buying some of them, too. I'd appreciate it if someone could PM me about selling them to me.

By the way, I'm making my own covers for some of my favorite games (the ones I'm going to give cases to), but these are modified ones, my first cover is Mario 64's:

http://galeon.com/mrockindolphin/mario64.jpg

I think there should be a section for this kind of covers for those who do want to make some like the Mario 64 I made; just my opinion, though. I'll be making some for OOT, Dr. Mario 64, Kirby, and some others, and I might post them here so that those people who want them as well can print those.

[quote name='RockinX']I'm interested in buying some of them, too. I'd appreciate it if someone could PM me about selling them to me.

By the way, I'm making my own covers for some of my favorite games (the ones I'm going to give cases to), but these are modified ones, my first cover is Mario 64's:

http://galeon.com/mrockindolphin/mario64.jpg

I think there should be a section for this kind of covers for those who do want to make some like the Mario 64 I made; just my opinion, though. I'll be making some for OOT, Dr. Mario 64, Kirby, and some others, and I might post them here so that those people who want them as well can print those.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there were a lot of alternative custom covers in the GBA project, so I think it'd be fine if you want to upload those kinds of covers. As long as they're the same pixel dimensions for the front,back, and spine, so that they'll fit properly.

Upload any raw scans for covers we don't have yet, too, while you're at it :)

[quote name='slash000']Yeah, there were a lot of alternative custom covers in the GBA project, so I think it'd be fine if you want to upload those kinds of covers. As long as they're the same pixel dimensions for the front,back, and spine, so that they'll fit properly.

Upload any raw scans for covers we don't have yet, too, while you're at it :)[/QUOTE]
Of the game boxes I have all of them have been uploaded already, so....

Fixed the name and sorted it all alphabetically.

I made the album have more columns too so that there are less pages to scroll thru. If someone finds a large lot of boxes on eBay I'll buy it, of course the last time I saw a lot of this type was the week before I found this project. Large meaning preferably 50+, but at least 15 or 20.

Nate

Snackbar seems to be laggin with their udpates. I put some stuff up a week or more ago and haven't seen anything updated. Snowcone also mentioned that there would be a SNES section added. I know they have a business to run....I'm just impatient for some boxes that I know are scanned already. :cry:

Slash, I need NFL Blitz and Live 99 to complete my N64 boxes. I know you did Live and I thought I read that Blitz was done too. Can I get these from somewhere else besides Snackbar? I tried manually typing the address for:

http://www.snackbar-games.com/images/gbacovers/slash000.n64_nbalive99.jpg

but I get a 404 error.

Okay cool. I'll create a thread at PA sometime this week as well.

Also, SnowCone is sort of reworking the cover pages at his site. So, he's a little behind in posting them up over there. The ukbeats album that Nate runs is the best place to get the most recent covers.

:)

Works fine for me. Also, nate said he was setting up another album for the SNES covers, but I'm not sure exactly what the status is. Apparently there was some software trouble setting up two instances of the gallery or something like that.

bread's done
Back