Naughty Dog's The Last of Us - Left Behind Single Player DLC Out Now!

Lol yeah, the bugs in this game are the one real downside and I'm shocked they didn't use all that extra time to polish the game more.  One aspect that I discovered since I had to redo the first two hours, is just how many audio events you can miss because the AI might zoom off to the next objective before you discover something that would cue it.  This is really shitty considering a trophy is tied to the optional dialogue IIRC.  Also, since I restarted the game it didn't count my first firefly tag towards the in-game achievement.  There's actually a lot of bugs tied to restarting a checkpoint, such as after using a medpack to heal you can sometimes restart to gain the medpack back without losing your health total from the heal.  Sometimes environmental triggers will respawn after a restart, like traps that were used before the save.

I also don't like that AI pathing is set in a patrol pattern because restarting a checkpoint is an exercise in premeditated murder until you execute perfectly.  It's so predictable I could figure out the timings of where each enemy would be at a certain time to take them down unnoticed.  This is another reason why stealth has become more of a chore than fun because there's no chaos or randomness to it.  I can suddenly understand the low scores this game got because of some glaring flaws that from a gameplay perspective, really bring it down.

Many people are willing to forgive the faults for the story though, that so far is in a class of its own.

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is basically like the case bioshock infinite. High review scores/praises mainly given for the story, because the gameplay is just mediocre/ above average

This post is going to be a bit more generic I would like it to be... (aka I cannot really quote everyone like I want too as I'm still getting use to the new forum) Sorry about that.

First, played for about an hour and a half. I have no place to go, no need for sleep, etc so why I'm posting and not playing...? I'm not really sure. I guess I just want to gripe about some stuff and then move on back to the game.

First, 20 minutes was indeed amazing. Very, very, well done. I actually failed in one part... Which was a bit surprising as I didn't think I was doing anything wrong and it was obviously a very, very, scripted event so that was sort of a cool surprise. (Somehow I did it right the second time... but I really don't think I did anything different.)

Plays like Uncharted? Not really in my opinion. You cannot really run and gun. Literally, you cannot move quickly and shoot at the same time. Joel's run/sprint seems to be about Drake's normal fast movement. (aka stick all the way forward.) I would really say the game plays more like the Tomb Raider reboot, at least in combat. (Its really the “Everything most be aimed down the sights and then fired” and the “move around cover without sticking to it” mechanics that make me think TR: Reboot.)

Anyhow my gripes.

I played a bit more and I really like the game thus far. My one gripe so far is that enemies are blind when it comes to spotting Tess... sometimes she runs right in front of them and the AI (at least, the human AI) doesn't notice her.
You mean Backpocket? That's what I call her because that's exactly where she is... In Joel's Backpocket and constantly in the way... I reverse field a lot, looking at maybe going from a different angle and she is always there. I honestly haven't seen partner AI this bad since the original Army of Two and at least you could send him somewhere else via commands.

So, yeah, while I hadn't notice the AI being oblivious to her... yet, I can only assume there was simply no other way to make the game playable... At least in a stealth manner.

Game Mechanic vs Real World; I know this is probably a bit much, and maybe a bit silly to complain about... but when I kill a human who is actively using a firearm against my character I expect to find ammo at their feet... or occasionally an empty gun. Yet, its happened so many times already it just pulls me from the game and its just, well, silly... Just like finding ammo in a building/passage that they've taken hundreds of times before (and has been scavenged by others as well) is silly too.

Now, I'm not looking to Rambo through the game... I just wish it was a bit more realistic. (same goes for the health system also... I found a candy bar I couldn't do anything with as my health was full... Yet, I got this backpack for something right?)

Questions

1) I snuck up on someone and didn't choke them out immediately and I got a full clip of ammo and I think I health pack... but I haven't been able to duplicate it. Anyone know how I did it?

2) Flashlight. They told me how to turn it on once but I was looking at something on screen (either a collectable or just interactive environment) and missed it... They didn't repeat how to turn it on either... And the game comes with no instruction manual, nor does it even have a generic control layout in the menu screen either. Anyone know how to turn it on?

Also, when my brother tried to play the game on his system it took 20 minutes to load and then froze in the first chapter.
Mines like that and it sucks, been waiting soooo long and finally got my copy after work and its so buggy I cant even begin walking after I control Joel and the backgrounds are constantly disappearing, and even after the bug has been "fixed" I still get autosave issues. Very disappointing, looks like I gotta wait for some patches

Questions

1) I snuck up on someone and didn't choke them out immediately and I got a full clip of ammo and I think I health pack... but I haven't been able to duplicate it. Anyone know how I did it?

2) Flashlight. They told me how to turn it on once but I was looking at something on screen (either a collectable or just interactive environment) and missed it... They didn't repeat how to turn it on either... And the game comes with no instruction manual, nor does it even have a generic control layout in the menu screen either. Anyone know how to turn it on?
1) Not entirely sure on that, but I've had a seemingly "random" item drop too. I choked a character, searched around and didn't get any prompts but later on, his body disappeared and he dropped some ammo. Not sure, but I think these might be random. Maybe you what you did resulted in the enemy being unarmed (or at least, take away his ammo)? I don't even know if that's possible...

2) R3 or L3 (both on/off), it's currently slipping me as to which one but it's one of two.

Questions

1) Not entirely sure on that, but I've had a seemingly "random" item drop too. I choked a character, searched around and didn't get any prompts but later on, his body disappeared and he dropped some ammo. Not sure, but I think these might be random. Maybe you what you did resulted in the enemy being unarmed (or at least, take away his ammo)? I don't even know if that's possible...

2) R3 or L3 (both on/off), it's currently slipping me as to which one but it's one of two.
1) I hope its more than random... but, yeah, like you I'm not sure what I did so I'll have to play around with it some more...

2) Thanks. Not really sure how I didn't try those buttons...

all these bugs and things going on don't feel like naughty dog at all. Something tells me sony pushed this game out of the door way before it should have been so it don't mess with ps4 launch. In my mind sony pushed out ps4 before they planned to push it out scared ms would announce and come out first again and they did not want that to happen.

man, looks like people have already beaten it. A bit shorter than I expected, but I suppose it isn't a huge group of people submitting times yet, so the average is understandably low. Still seems crazy they got through it already though :whee:
I don't think I'll even come close to those times... Then again, I wonder if those times are straight playthrough or a collection of all check point reloads and whatnot.

I got another hour with it... and, yes, I'm taking a break from it again.

Honestly, I'm not seeing how this game got all those perfect scores... Its been good but way too many issues. I've seen the world disappear (leaving only its wire frame), I saw one party member run directly in front of a an enemy without alerting them. I've now encountered ultra aware enemies that ignore my grab attempts from anything other than a perfect angle... I've seen Toss engage in a 20 secound firefight with soldiers at near point blank range without dealing/or taking fatal damage. And again the game continues to be heavy scripted with little chance to use your imagination... You have to figure out what ND expects you to do. (Also I've choked out about 10-15 soldiers now and not one has given me a single round of ammo... So I'm going to assume I'm not suppose to be shooting anyone... Even as a last resort.)

Anyhow, I'm not seeing how this is going to win anything other than Disappointment of the Year... Hopefully, I'm wrong on this and ND opens up this wonderful world up for exploration... but, yeah...

Anyhow, I wonder how the MP is...?

1) I hope its more than random... but, yeah, like you I'm not sure what I did so I'll have to play around with it some more...
It's RNG. Every enemy has a chance to drop loot, even the infected. . .which doesn't make much sense either. I've restarted checkpoints hundreds of times now and each time the same enemies will drop different stuff or nothing at all. My favorite was when infected kept dropping grenades so I just chained together one explosion after the other lol.

So I'm halfway through the game now and it's starting to run a bit thin. The cinema sequences are awesome and a great break, with a few events being incredible to play through but then you just hit this wall of sneaking or killing your way through really big areas. The library I was just in must've taken 30 minutes to clear and if you die, it's back to the start. I can't help myself wanting to kill everyone but at the same time it gets tiresome. That and there's no way to reset stealth, so taking out a pack of enemies with a grenade just puts the entire area on high alert until you kill them all. Seems counter-intuitive to give you weapons for a specific job and then penalize you for using them correctly.

I think what happened is they approached the game the way Uncharted was made and then slowly started scaling back the action only to find out it didn't mesh well. I'm guessing the AI companions were eventually nerfed so that it would not alert enemies unless you had already done so and the result is them walking in front of baddies precariously. The result is a mixed bag, but an enjoyable one in small doses. However, the game drives you to see what happens next so it ends up being a marathon to the end. Sadly, I feel as though this marathon snakes around a main course, just to pad its length.

I have to wonder if I would have criticized its length had they just cut the extraneous areas, though.

It's RNG. Every enemy has a chance to drop loot, even the infected. . .which doesn't make much sense either. I've restarted checkpoints hundreds of times now and each time the same enemies will drop different stuff or nothing at all. My favorite was when infected kept dropping grenades so I just chained together one explosion after the other lol.

So I'm halfway through the game now and it's starting to run a bit thin. The cinema sequences are awesome and a great break, with a few events being incredible to play through but then you just hit this wall of sneaking or killing your way through really big areas. The library I was just in must've taken 30 minutes to clear and if you die, it's back to the start. I can't help myself wanting to kill everyone but at the same time it gets tiresome. That and there's no way to reset stealth, so taking out a pack of enemies with a grenade just puts the entire area on high alert until you kill them all. Seems counter-intuitive to give you weapons for a specific job and then penalize you for using them correctly.
Actually that's not true. You can reset stealth. All you have to do is run and hide somewhere else. That seems to be what gets the enemies alert to go back to regular. If they don't find where you are hiding/your new hiding place, then they eventually settle back to normal/no alert level.

My favorite attack strategy with runners & clickers= throw brick in an area, infected come over to check it out, then throw molotov at the group. Haha gets me every time :'D

8 hours in and it's been a great game. A few minor annoyances but overall i'm loving it.

I don't care for the clickers that much. Learned my lesson about attacking them without a shiv rather quickly. Molotovs are my favorite weapon so far.

I Always feel Ellie should be giving me alot more praise for some of the feats I do. Like I was really hoping she'd say "HOLY fuck! YOU JUST KILLED 12 GUYS IN THAT BUILDING WITH JUST A SHIV AND ONE WELL THROWN MOLOTOV COCKTAIL!" Because goddamn if I wasn't thinking or even saying that aloud.

So funny as shit just happened in the game again... (AI Stuff) I'll spoiler it though I'll likely be describing what could be many combat encounters in the game...

Not too long after you get the Molotovs (and learn how to make them) I came to a room with a fairly large group... but I group separated by some distance so its really hard to do it with only one Molotov. So I figured I would lure one of the infected closer so I could choke it out (This isn't as stupid as it sounds as its one of the less threatening ones that you can pretty much kill however you want too.)

So I've gotten it close to me... and I've back up on the others a bit but everything is under control and I'm about to toss another brick so I can get its back to me and I can choke it out real easy... And then it all goes to shit as Tess decides this is the perfect time to shot the infected. Or at least I assume she shot it, she at least shot at it, but only enough to piss it off AND everything else in the fucking location.

So having a brick in hand, and not expecting my AI partner to be so stupid, I'm late on the draw with my gun and the thing is on me... I'm not sure if I shock it off or if Tess punched it off of me but it and me end up behind the others and a whole hoard of angry clickers... So, at this point I'm not sure why I'm not just reloading the encounter but I beat it down with my wooden 2x4 while I'm sure death is upon me at any second...

Sure enough I turn around and something is charging me so I swing wildly again, too late in my realization that it was Ellie who had likely been running around in circles on sure where the fuck to go because even though she's AI she smart enough to realize Tess is fucking stupid and we're all dead already.

So as Joel regains his balance I refocus down the hallway only to realize Tess has aggro ed the three Clickers and they are bating her around like a plaything... With no hope I do the only reasonable thing... Molotov.

My aim is perfect and true and the molotov lands directly off of Tess' dumb noggin . Hey, I figure if I got to load a check point again I might as well work out some of my aggression first, right? So, the Clickers go running around screaming their death throes and Tess just stands their, as dumb as possible, while the molotov burns out around her feet.

And I murmur to myself, “Works for me...”

And I keep on going...

(Yes, your AI partners seem to be completely immune to fire damage.)

So, yeah, totally wish I had a capture card cause this is some dumb as AI and it needs to be on youtube...

Only played about 90 minutes so far, it's good but yeah I've already had really bad AI moments and guys glitching into solid objects.

Was stuck on the same part for over an hour last night till the charge in my controller died.

In Pittsburgh when you are in the hotel and have to turn the generator on in the basement. The big undead guy gets me everytime no matter where I run to.

im really digging this MP. the 2 gold trophies for completing the journeys will take some time (168 matches total) but it wont be a grind because i enjoy it.
168 Total or per side?
84 days in 12 weeks. unless it goes to week 12, day 7. then itll be a little more.

also, it seems like youre entire clan can die, and if that does, you gotta start all over from week 1.

My grillfriend and I made a video of Last of Us. If you've played through the beginning parts of the game then there's no spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF4qpI3jpm8

Warning: later in the video you might get dizzy because of the way she controls the third-person camera, haha.

I'm surprised at the review scores after having played the SP. They're way too high, and I think they let themselves get wooed by the absolutely stunning animation and visuals. That said, it's a good game, but the AI is incredibly frustrating at times, and I hate this flimsy cover system. There was no good reason to veer so drastically away from the Uncharted cover system.

Anybody know if the % on your game is tied to story completion or full completion? My save says 60% complete and I am 9 hours in. I am not a hardcore guy so I have certainly died my fair share however I am usually very close to the times on "how long to complete" If the % is tied to story completion I won't be anywhere close to 13 as I am looking at 15 minimum, probably more as I'm sure I'll die more as it gets harder. If the % isn't tied to story then I am sad it could be over in 3 hours or so. I have enjoyed the game, but it has its flaws. Why does Naughty Dog insist that people can get shot 4 and 5 times and keep coming? Why can I clip people in the head and they barely flinch? I know the game is much more intense than Uncharted, but why are so many areas so damn dark. If you are going to neglect the realism of death and AI then let me see where the hell I am. The lightning in this game is very odd. If it is kind of dawn/dusk outside, which seems to be a popular choice, then you will use your flashlight inside and as soon as you walk outside it has practically no effect so it actually gets darker. I like games to feel real but not frustrating. FYI, Pittsburgh sucks!

Is there a CAG clan? If so I'm interested. I haven't played the MP yet but have about 4 or 5 hours into the SP.
PSN ID is in the sig if anyone wants to invite me.

EDIT: Have a headset btw, if that matters.

Was stuck on the same part for over an hour last night till the charge in my controller died.

In Pittsburgh when you are in the hotel and have to turn the generator on in the basement. The big undead guy gets me everytime no matter where I run to.
Funny enough, I got past that part on the first try.

Get the key card first, and be ready to run.

I know, I know it's VIDEO GAME LOGIC. But this is an apocalyptic future where supplies and especially ammo are scarce. I just killed several highly armed guards. I can't grab their armor, their guns, if I'm lucky I might get a couple bullets for one of the guns I'm carrying. Complete bullshit. It's not a huge detractor but a game where they were going for grim reality I take dead soldier's armor and gun. About 4 hours in now, unless something changes SP I'd give a 7.5, especially since the close quarters combat is incredibly spotty and and no matter how much Naughty Dog wants to say otherwise, it's Uncharted with zombies.

I know, I know it's VIDEO GAME LOGIC. But this is an apocalyptic future where supplies and especially ammo are scarce. I just killed several highly armed guards. I can't grab their armor, their guns, if I'm lucky I might get a couple bullets for one of the guns I'm carrying. Complete bullshit. It's not a huge detractor but a game where they were going for grim reality I take dead soldier's armor and gun. About 4 hours in now, unless something changes SP I'd give a 7.5, especially since the close quarters combat is incredibly spotty and and no matter how much Naughty Dog wants to say otherwise, it's Uncharted with zombies.
Yeah I thought that was pretty weird. I get more ammo from clickers/runners then the guards and hunters.

Yeah I thought that was pretty weird. I get more ammo from clickers/runners then the guards and hunters.
I think it's funny that you have both health kits that you can pick up and save for later, and also these one-time granola bars that you have to use on the spot. Why can't you put them in your pocket? And why are crunch bars just sitting out in spore infested buildings and haven't spoiled yet?

What difficulties did you guys start on? I usually do a normal playthrough as default but with all this talk I am wondering if I would be better served just playing on easy. 

My grillfriend and I made a video of Last of Us. If you've played through the beginning parts of the game then there's no spoilers.
Absolutely awesome! (Just like the TR video.)

Is there a CAG clan? If so I'm interested. I haven't played the MP yet but have about 4 or 5 hours into the SP.
PSN ID is in the sig if anyone wants to invite me.
You would need to get everyone to buy in to the same faction... as once you chose you cannot change your mind... Which seems to be pretty stupid. Not sure which faction I personally need to chose to be with the bulk of my Uncharted friends... Not that it much matters. I haven't heard good things about it so I suspect we'll all be back to UC3 soon enough, Yay! (Sarcastic)

What difficulties did you guys start on? I usually do a normal playthrough as default but with all this talk I am wondering if I would be better served just playing on easy.
I started on Normal... I died quite a bit trying to figure out what I'm suppose to do in the scripted sections... Not so much at other times and I'm uncertain how difficulty plays into those events too.

Honestly, I'm not seeing how this game got all those perfect scores... Its been good but way too many issues. I've seen the world disappear (leaving only its wire frame), I saw one party member run directly in front of a an enemy without alerting them. I've now encountered ultra aware enemies that
Naughty Dog stated that this is intentional. They didn't want stealth to be ruined by your AI companion acting up.

Honestly, I'm not seeing how this game got all those perfect scores... Its been good but way too many issues. I've seen the world disappear (leaving only its wire frame), I saw one party member run directly in front of a an enemy without alerting them. I've now encountered ultra aware enemies that
Naughty Dog stated that this is intentional. They didn't want stealth to be ruined by your AI companion acting up.
Of course it was. They had no choice their AI code is crap.

Hm... given all the complaining, I guess I'm the only one who thinks the game (at least the SP) delivers so far.
I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I just wish Naughty Dog wasn't a Playstation exclusive developer. This game would rock on a 360 controller. That's the only gripe I have, (the PS3 controller is a tad smaller than I'm used to).

woo numba uno

Bstzhny.png

Hm... given all the complaining, I guess I'm the only one who thinks the game (at least the SP) delivers so far.
I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I just wish Naughty Dog wasn't a Playstation exclusive developer. This game would rock on a 360 controller. That's the only gripe I have, (the PS3 controller is a tad smaller than I'm used to).
MP would be better too.. but just don't go their, (Though this forum is allot better than most when it comes to reasonable chat about things.)

Anyhow, Almost like clockwork I got an hour in and had to take a break... and in a first I looked at trade in values for the game on both Best Buy and Amazon... Neither is accepting trades on it.

Honestly, I think I'm at the point where the game play is killing my enjoyment of the game...

Note: Anyone reading this via email notification the next is in spoiler text and you likely do not want to read it.

Tess, just died and I'm just happy to have one less AI annoyances.

all these bugs and things going on don't feel like naughty dog at all. Something tells me sony pushed this game out of the door way before it should have been so it don't mess with ps4 launch. In my mind sony pushed out ps4 before they planned to push it out scared ms would announce and come out first again and they did not want that to happen.
Lol, this guy

woo numba uno
Nice for the longest time I was the number one player of Uncharted 3 on Raptr... Its pretty easy to do since so few track their game time on raptr.

Edit: 37 hours on Uncharted 3 and I'll be number one again... When I came back from my break I was a 100 plus hours away from number 1.

Lol, this guy
I don't really want to be that guy but 17 patches later and UC3 still has numerous bugs and glitches...

I can't believe how disappointed I am in this game.  I had a pretty wide open weekend and planned on finishing the single player.  I've only played five hours and am not having much fun with it.  Like everyone else I have a problem with enemies not dropping ammo especially when it's so scarce.  The game play IMHO is nothing to write home about.  Sneak around, search for supplies.  At this point I'm about to put it on easy and just try and run through it for the story.  I'm simply blown away that so many perfect scores came in for this game.  It's nice to see players on here that are also not too impressed.  This game is NOT Uncharted with zombies.  Uncharted was MUCH better.

At this point I'm about to put it on easy and just try and run through it for the story. I'm simply blown away that so many perfect scores came in for this game. It's nice to see players on here that are also not too impressed. This game is NOT Uncharted with zombies. Uncharted was MUCH better.
If you do drop it down to easy let me know how it goes for you enjoyment wise... I'm tempted too but really suspect that it won't fix the issues.

And, yes, its a disservice to compare this to Uncharted, the worst Uncharted (on the PS3) is better than this... Truth be told, I'm at the point where I think I've played better games on the PS3 not made by ND. (I only play exclusives so its rather limited selection.)

At this point I'm about to put it on easy and just try and run through it for the story. I'm simply blown away that so many perfect scores came in for this game. It's nice to see players on here that are also not too impressed. This game is NOT Uncharted with zombies. Uncharted was MUCH better.
If you do drop it down to easy let me know how it goes for you enjoyment wise... I'm tempted too but really suspect that it won't fix the issues.

And, yes, its a disservice to compare this to Uncharted, the worst Uncharted (on the PS3) is better than this... Truth be told, I'm at the point where I think I've played better games on the PS3 not made by ND. (I only play exclusives so its rather limited selection.)
Yeah I'm definitely going to do it, I don't think it will increase enjoyment much but it will probably allow me to get through it faster. As far as other games being better this wouldn't even be in my top 3 games of the year. Ni No Kuni, Bioshock Infinite, and Tomb Raider were all more enjoyable...at least for me. I rolled through all of those games when I had ANY free time, the same is not the case with Last of Us.

Lol at some of you expecting Uncharted Zombies. No wonder you're not liking it, because it isn't like Uncharted or Call of Duty where there is these big set pieces and scripted events. This game is very slow-paced, just like 'The Road'. This game is not for everyone. This is FAR from Uncharted and people who are expecting this big action packed game just makes me laugh. I mean, it has it's moments of big time action, but it's not as heavy as other games. 

This game is absolutely beautiful to me. There is so much detail and everything is done at such high quality. The voice acting and music is top-notch, and the gameplay is very fun and fresh. This will EASILY... EASILY be one of the top three games of the year, and probably one of the top 3 games of the past few years. 

Yeah I'm definitely going to do it, I don't think it will increase enjoyment much but it will probably allow me to get through it faster. As far as other games being better this wouldn't even be in my top 3 games of the year. Ni No Kuni, Bioshock Infinite, and Tomb Raider were all more enjoyable...at least for me. I rolled through all of those games when I had ANY free time, the same is not the case with Last of Us.
Yeah, same here... I didn't like what they did with TR in the reboot but it was by far a better game. Haven't gotten around to playing Bioshock Infinite yet but their was other games (that I won't mention by name as people will likely just label me a troll) that I enjoy far more than The Last of Us.

The game just drags to a crawl at too many checkpoints and their is nothing worse than doing scavenging over and over again in a large room full of enemies only to have to check point it again... and then again.

I'm pretty malicious in tracking my time on raptr cause I'm always curious how long I've played a game... Tonight before my 1 hour game session I had 4 hours of time on raptr and my save said I had 2 hrs and 22 minutes.. Way too much check pointing.

One thing I would like to give Naughty Dog credit for is how quickly the game loads when it goes back to your previous check point. Its lighting quick.

Lol at some of you expecting Uncharted Zombies. No wonder you're not liking it, because it isn't like Uncharted or Call of Duty where there is these big set pieces and scripted events.
We must not be playing the same game as their is a ton of scripted events just not with big set pieces...

I'm aout 4 and a half hours in and I don't have anything bad to say about the game. It's resident evil, a uncharted, metal gear, rolled up into one game. I'm going to reframe from reading comments until I read the game. (At least try). I do t know what my deposition towards the game will be once I'm done and had a chance to reflect, but I definely want to have my opinions be as fresh as possible. Shipwreck commented about the failing stealth sequences in the game. Before I read that I didn't see it to be a problem.

Well, I guess I'm the first but I beat Last of Us tonight.  I really, really, really want to love this game.  It's gorgeous, the writing is great, and it puts newer Resident Evil's to shame considering this is how survival horror should be done.

But the gameplay just left me cold.  I didn't feel this way about Tomb Raider, Metro: Last Light, or any of the Uncharted games.  After sinking 19 hours into it, I don't want to even replay it because it feels so repetitive.  I think a major part of the problem is once again collectibles.  I feel like I should be skipping enemies as much as possible via stealth and using combat as a last resort, yet so many artifacts/comics/dog tags are all tucked away in places that you'd skip doing so.  To complicate matters, they give you options on how to progress so sometimes I end up going in circles or get lost in a maze of corridors.  More importantly, since I was trying to find everything to fully explore the world they created it meant dealing with the idiot AI, and I don't mean the companions.

I'm talking about enemies that just piss me off when they don't cooperate.  Throw a brick to direct them somewhere and they decide to take a different route there, or stop short at the doorway.  Sometimes I'd go to grab them and instead of doing a silent takedown, I'd make too much noise apparently and alert the guys way down the hall.  There's not nearly enough checkpoints for this BS either, because some areas can take half an hour to clear and if you die to the last enemy you go alllllllllllllll the way back.  It's just a mess.

I suppose I could be more forgiving if the combat was rewarding, but I just found it bland.  Enemies are fucking bullet-sponges and I swear to god I shot this one guy in the head three fucking times before he went down.  I know some enemies have helmets, but the first shot takes that off.  No, this particular guy just wouldn't die because of shit code.  Keep in mind this was on normal difficulty, so it's not like he was padded for that.

Speaking of padding, the game is too long.  There's seriously some throwaway content in this game that could have been cut and not affect the final product at all.  I thought the game was going to end about four separate times but it just kept going and going and going.  As for the ending
not at all what I was expecting and pretty much a letdown for me.  I really thought they were going to get to the hospital and find it empty, hence the title 'Last of Us' but for Joel to finally crack and keep Ellie for himself, dooming the human race seemed like weak writing.  There was no payoff and it just cuts to black after Joel reiterates his lie so that he can have his 'daughter' back again.  Maybe it's just me but I didn't like it.

This game is such a work of art that I wish it lived up to all the perfect scores, but I just can't shake that bad taste the combat left me with.  Everyone with a PS3 should play this game though, for sure.  It will change the way you look at videogames forever.

Multiplayer is really great. I am weary of games in which they seem to tack on crappy online play to increase the replay value (Mass Effect 3, Tomb Raider come to mind), but they managed to foster a very tense multiplayer atmosphere.

I honestly think I just played the best hour and a half session I've had with this game... No, that's an outright lie. It was by far and away the best part of the game so far... And I'm pretty sure part of it had unlimited ammo.

Anyhow, I likely would still be playing but the game presented a natural stopping point and my stomach was growling.

Spoiler Text

it was on the way to meet Bill, and his introduction (up to the armory), starting with the last checkpoint in the capital building (which I somehow got through on my second try... I took a break after two or three failures previously.. So it wasn't two overall.)

And may I say, so far Bill's AI, seem to be far more useful than Tess' AI. I don't know if its because he has more firepower or if its just written better.
Also, I've been saving all of my skill points to upgrade the first Shiv skill. (Its the one that lets you kill a clicker with a Shiv when it lungs at you instead of watching the load screen). And, well, its paid for itself already...

Any other skills that others fill are a must have? (I'm tempted by Weapon Sway... but I have no idea of its usefulness and skill points are just so hard to acquire in this game I'm a bit worried of picking it next.

Multiplayer is really great. I am weary of games in which they seem to tack on crappy online play to increase the replay value (Mass Effect 3, Tomb Raider come to mind), but they managed to foster a very tense multiplayer atmosphere.

Do you happen to have played Uncharted MP? (First, I'm always looking for others... Second, curious to get seasoned UC vets opinion of stuff. Like lag and whatnot.)

Lol at some of you expecting Uncharted Zombies. No wonder you're not liking it, because it isn't like Uncharted or Call of Duty where there is these big set pieces and scripted events. This game is very slow-paced, just like 'The Road'. This game is not for everyone. This is FAR from Uncharted and people who are expecting this big action packed game just makes me laugh. I mean, it has it's moments of big time action, but it's not as heavy as other games.

This game is absolutely beautiful to me. There is so much detail and everything is done at such high quality. The voice acting and music is top-notch, and the gameplay is very fun and fresh. This will EASILY... EASILY be one of the top three games of the year, and probably one of the top 3 games of the past few years.
Fresh gameplay? The puzzle-based gameplay of getting around is exactly the same as Uncharted, down to things like giving someone a lift up to a higher spot (to an annoying degree).

bread's done
Back