Naughty Dog's The Last of Us - Left Behind Single Player DLC Out Now!

I guess they would need to give you ammo/killing tools in some parts... otherwise, you'll be permanently stuck, since there are many parts where sneaking doesn't work.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of survivor mode though? In Metro: LL, ranger mode was a true test of your abilities because I almost did get stuck once on a boss fight. In my mind, the hardest difficulty setting should mean you might not beat the game, harkening back to NES days when you ran out of lives it was game over. Survivor mode for me really isn't a step up from normal since you always have a failsafe to kick in when you need it. I even found out Ellie will toss you ammo if you're down to your last bullet going into a battle.

Again, I feel like the devs are just trying to fool the player into thinking it's harder when its really not. Hell, I don't even craft or use health packs anymore since I can retry if I die and they give you full health going into each chapter anyway.

And I just finished sewers again tonight using nothing but the shotty pistol. It was hilarious how I'd blow their brains out and get down to one shot, only to get another pack of 4 bullets over and over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of survivor mode though? In Metro: LL, ranger mode was a true test of your abilities because I almost did get stuck once on a boss fight. In my mind, the hardest difficulty setting should mean you might not beat the game, harkening back to NES days when you ran out of lives it was game over. Survivor mode for me really isn't a step up from normal since you always have a failsafe to kick in when you need it. I even found out Ellie will toss you ammo if you're down to your last bullet going into a battle.

Again, I feel like the devs are just trying to fool the player into thinking it's harder when its really not. Hell, I don't even craft or use health packs anymore since I can retry if I die and they give you full health going into each chapter anyway.

And I just finished sewers again tonight using nothing but the shotty pistol. It was hilarious how I'd blow their brains out and get down to one shot, only to get another pack of 4 bullets over and over.
As much as I still like classic games and enjoy a reasonable challenge, I'm glad that most developers don't let you get stuck in games anymore. I have other games to play and a life to live. Having a mode that's a "true test of your abilities" is a laughable concept to me because doing so doesn't help me or improve my life in anyway. If a game can challenge me but still keep me going, then I'm still enjoying it.

Additionally, if developers are fooling you, you still have to take that gamble since the drops aren't guaranteed. I had to rampage after the crash/ambush and didn't get squat from enemy drops. I think the sewers and the two cabin parts were the three parts where ammo drops are ample, since it's impossible to get back into stealth mode (ie, run away and hide) in those parts.

Lol, I just rediscovered these guys after watching their Dark Souls video few years back.  They're still immature assholes about what's going on in the game (reminds me of myself with friends over :lol:) but their prestige of knowledge on dystopian movies is pretty interesting since they're making connections left and right where things are ripped from.  Skip to four minutes when they start actually playing.  There's no spoilers because they don't know what to expect, but obviously they're playing the intro so if you haven't played don't watch dummy.

And holy shit they're right about Panic Room; go google Kristen Stewart in panic room for mind blown moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njp0udtgg6c

I would have to say that the difficultly didn't live up to all then hype.
What difficulty did you play it on? Listen Mode on or off?

I played it on normal with listen mode on. Died maybe 10-20 times.

I worry that playing it on hard with listen mode off the first time and dying 10 times would break the experience somewhat. It felt like a video game version of the "The Road", except it lasted 12 hours and was just... wow at times

Finally finished my survivor+ playthrough tonight after practically forcing myself to sit down and do it heh.  Even now I lack the words to explain how a game so incredible could feel disappointing.  Maybe I just don't have the patience for stealth games anymore but even when I'd go rambo on everyone, it felt like I was doing it wrong and breaking the game.  At any rate, I hope they don't make a sequel and just focus on a new IP for PS4 because I'd love to see what they could do with another genre, like RPG.  They have nothing left to prove on storytelling, so lets see what they could do outside shooters!

I haven't been following this thread at all, but does the game pick up after the first few hours? I played for a three hour block when I got the game and even that felt like a chore at the end. I tried again this past weekend and didn't even make it 30 minutes. It just feels clunky, and frankly, the gameplay is boring as hell so far. Especially compared to the last game I played, Tomb Raider. I'm not trolling here, I honestly want to know if it's something I need to push through until the game opens up. If what I've seen is all I'm going to get, this game is not for me.

I haven't been following this thread at all, but does the game pick up after the first few hours? I played for a three hour block when I got the game and even that felt like a chore at the end. I tried again this past weekend and didn't even make it 30 minutes. It just feels clunky, and frankly, the gameplay is boring as hell so far. Especially compared to the last game I played, Tomb Raider. I'm not trolling here, I honestly want to know if it's something I need to push through until the game opens up. If what I've seen is all I'm going to get, this game is not for me.
For me it was slow too but it did picked up, especially when you get more weapon and upgrades later on. Also if you know how to use your surrounding the game is really fun. Use those bricks and bottles to either distract or stun the enemies.

this game is painfully slow at times. i liked the story (although i didnt care for the ending) but at times, its at a snails pace. i used the glitch to get to play survivor plus on my 2nd play through. i cant imagine going through this game 3 times.

the MP on the other hand i love. if it wasnt for the MP, this would get traded in as soon as i plat.

this game doesnt beat uncharted 2. that game is still king of this gen.

How long did it take you guys to finish this game the first time through? I took my sweet time (22 hours) but figured that was because I checked very nook/cranny and messed around in some fights. But on my re-play, it seems like I'm almost as slow as my original play through (currently at 12 hours at 61%)... though now it might be because I'm trying to find supplies/playing more carefully.

How long did it take you guys to finish this game the first time through? I took my sweet time (22 hours) but figured that was because I checked very nook/cranny and messed around in some fights. But on my re-play, it seems like I'm almost as slow as my original play through (currently at 12 hours at 61%)... though now it might be because I'm trying to find supplies/playing more carefully.
1st playthrough...I'm up to the University and I think I'm around 15 hours, I'm taking my time with this game (at least more so then any others). I haven't minded though searching every area for everything as I feel like it's part of the story\experience of the game. I'm not sure I'll go through it again as I don't ususally play games a 2nd time. This game though is making me think I might want to even if not right away. I'm also considering waiting for the DLC which I never do as I've been in beat it sell it mode for awhile. This game was definitely worth the $$$ though to me.

my first play through clocked in at 13 hours and 39 minutes. that was with sitting there idle watching a collectibles walk through guide on youtube.

First time through took over 18 hours; second time took over 22 because I was focused on collectibles and it was survivor.  Survivor+ took only 14 hours just trucking through it.

I honestly didn't know about it; still don't.  Wish I had though, because the game is too damn long for three consecutive playthroughs.  Maybe if the combat had been solid I wouldn't have minded, but damn it became a chore.  Hate myself for wanting to at least get all the SP trophies, with no desire to finish the plat from doing the MP lol.

I honestly didn't know about it; still don't. Wish I had though, because the game is too damn long for three consecutive playthroughs. Maybe if the combat had been solid I wouldn't have minded, but damn it became a chore. Hate myself for wanting to at least get all the SP trophies, with no desire to finish the plat from doing the MP lol.
Have you given it a try atleast? I was similarly reluctant but got absolutely hooked. Playing with knowledgeable friends that stick together with mics is a must though. It didn't feel like a grind to me, I'm still playing it awaiting the DLC lol. Add me at GMoneyMafia if you wanna ever play.

Yeah, the multiplayer in this is fantastic. Very nice surprise IMO. Kinda wish they would ditch the single player DLC and make the season pass entirely multiplayer based.

Ok, I guess I wasn't the only one who was slow then.

I did it as well.
I actually made it to the end of chapter 4 when I found out and decided to start over with the glitch because... I don't have 40 hours spend finishing the SP twice for the trophies. I don't even know how long it'll take me to do the MP stuff.:whistle2:/

I'm getting my plat legitimately with this one, It will probably take me some time but I dont plan on selling the game so it doesn't matter to me, plus I really loved the SP and I don't mind playing it multiple times. I havent even started my survival playthrough yet, since I've been glued to the MP, can't wait to see what the upcoming DLC offers. I'm hoping we get some new gamemodes.

What difficulty did you play it on? Listen Mode on or off?

I played it on normal with listen mode on. Died maybe 10-20 times.

I worry that playing it on hard with listen mode off the first time and dying 10 times would break the experience somewhat. It felt like a video game version of the "The Road", except it lasted 12 hours and was just... wow at times

I played with listen mode on, but I didn't mean that it was bad that it didn't live up to the hype. I think some made it out to be a lot worse. It is one of the best games ive played.

Where is it because I encountered one where you have to find the ladder to get up the first wall. The first time you use a ladder pretty much.
It's not a gameplay glitch, it's a trophy glitch. It allows you to start the game on the Survivor+ mode if you beat the game in any mode, which saves you the trouble of having to beat it on Survivor first.

It's not a gameplay glitch, it's a trophy glitch. It allows you to start the game on the Survivor+ mode if you beat the game in any mode, which saves you the trouble of having to beat it on Survivor first.
Is there still the same amount of pills and weapon parts available in the survivor mode or do they lessen it to make it hard? I did the glitch too, but I am not sure if I will even be able to beat it since I was only able to upgrade Joel about halfway.

Is there still the same amount of pills and weapon parts available in the survivor mode are do they lessen it to make it hard? I did the glitch too, but I am not sure if I will even be able to beat it since I was only able to upgrade Joel about halfway.
I believe so. I maxed out Joel's stats by the end of chapter 6 (it helps that you don't have to worry about listening mode in Survivor) and I only need like a hundred parts to finish my weapon stats as of the beginning of chapter 8.

Is there still the same amount of pills and weapon parts available in the survivor mode are do they lessen it to make it hard? I did the glitch too, but I am not sure if I will even be able to beat it since I was only able to upgrade Joel about halfway.
there are less pills and weapon supply upgrades in survivor. upgrading joel via pills shouldnt be a problem. i had him fully upgraded mid way through the 2nd play through (although i didnt waste any pills on listen mode, which you dont need to upgrade for the trophy). now, i did miss the weapon upgrade trophy by like 200 supplies. luckily, it was the shotgun, rifle and bow, which all are available at chapter 4. so i only had to play the game a 3rd time up to chapter 4. if say you need to upgrade the flamethrower, well youre S.O.L. until you actually pick it up in chapter 8.

^ Wrong.  Pills and parts spawns are identical in all difficulties.  The only thing that changes are supplies and ammo.

I spent yesterday working through the Pittsburgh section in my first playthrough.  This section just blew me away with the quality of gameplay, and the best is yet to come!  Should I be disturbed that I enjoy the gore in the game?  I think it's amazing that there are so many ways you can kill an enemy, and it's different every time.  Like different blood splatter patterns on the wall.  Even if I die and kill the enemy in the exact same fashion, the death scene isn't always the same.  It really amazes me and adds to the realism along with the great voice acting.

I think people who are complaining about the stealth are just so nit picky and just want to find something wrong with the game.  No game is perfect.  I normally don't enjoy stealth, but this game has such realism.  Like yesterday, I was hiding behind the door waiting for the enemy to come out and as soon as he spotted me, he immediately ran back inside and ducked for cover.  Or his buddies will come help him.

Maybe people don't like that the game just strips away every bit of security.  In one sequence, my heart was pounding when I was forced to start up a generator which made a lot of noise and either run or fight in closed quarters against a lot of clickers.  I ended up doing both.

ive seen parts where i know i got more weapon upgrade parts. some parts had 6 where survivor had like 3.
I followed a guide for my survivor playthrough that was clearly written for normal, because ammo and supplies were missing where it said they would be. The one constant was parts and pills were exactly where it said, in the amount it stated.

Anyone looking for some friends for multiplayer?  This game is 10x more fun when you in a group with civil people who have mics.  If anyone wants to add me feel free, this is my go to MP game right now.  

Ok, I finished my rental and ok...

This game is something special. Naughty Dog is easily the #1 dev of the Playstation 3.TLOU was a really great adventure.

The first 4 hours or so after the prologue was down right scary. The early scenes with the dark area's and nothing but clickers scared the living crap out of me. That one scene in Pittsburgh with generator was nuts because I knew what I was getting myself into by starting the generator but I had to start it up to keep going. It seemed like the second half turned away from the horror since the majority of the enemies at that point was humans.

To me the game started feeling a little too status quo in the middle. It felt like shoot humans, cut scene, shoot humans, cut scene, shoot clickers, cut scene, shoot humans. But when it got to winter and Joel and Ellie were split up, the game reached another level. Ellie being able to hold her own and sneaking in the blizzard was amazing along with her knife fight with David was great. Also, kudos to Naughty Dog for letting me hunt with out a six hour tutorial (looking at you Assassin's Creed 3)

The ending has me thinking. At first I thought that Joel was a complete selfish S.O.B. But the more I think about it the cloudier it feels to me. Joel and Ellie have traveled across the country and now why should she be sacrificed just like that. Also, if the Firefly's held the only possible vaccine/cure would there really be peace for everyone? They have already used force to contain the situation so why wouldn't they use a vaccine to take total control (see The Book of Eli for a group looking for that one item to having power). In the end, I still think Joel did it only because he lost everyone else and he didn't want to lose one of the last people he cared about, but you could take some positive implications out of it.

I give Naughty Dog alot of credit though because the ending was getting alot of crap from play testers though (according to the IGN spoilercast) They could've changed the ending but ND stuck to their guns and kept the ending.

Overall I give the SP a 9.5/10. A few glitches and gameplay quirks aside the SP was up to Naughty Dog's standards. I'm glad I played the SP and will pick up the game when it hits $20.

Back to redbox...

MP is brutal Week 6 Day 1 sucked I heard Week 8 /10/11/12 are all the same almost losing 100% of my clan could have sucked
I'm making a personal list of when missions that risk 100% pop up so i can save an easy mission for those weeks. I'll try to remember to post my notes up here when they are complete (probably take me like a week as I haven't been playing as much).

Honestly, all you need to do to be secure in the later weeks is save the easy stuff like healing, item gifting, and basic downs. Marking can be iffy, because you never know when you might end up in a room full of people with covert 3, and then you're sort of scewed. The supply drop event curently running certainly makes things easier.

It's interesting going right from this to Tomb Raider which I did this week.  I'm about 5 1/2 hours into Tomb Raider and am loving it.  I think the combat is much better in Tomb Raider overall, the shooting feels awesome in that game.  Naughty Dog's combat still leaves something to be desired from me, I just don't think it quite lives up to their other strengths (art direction, characters, storytelling).  I also am having a little more fun playing TR versus TLoU but I think that has more to do with the tone of the games versus the quality of them (TLoU being much more depressing and bleak than TR).  

Overall I think TLoU is a little bit better game overall but TR is more fun (and looks AMAZING on pc).  I think anyone who likes TLoU should give Tomb Raider a shot sometime, it's really frickin good.

Oh and also play Metro:Last Light..... it's not in the same genre as these other two games but just do it anyway haha, love me some of that game. 

It's interesting going right from this to Tomb Raider which I did this week. I'm about 5 1/2 hours into Tomb Raider and am loving it. I think the combat is much better in Tomb Raider overall, the shooting feels awesome in that game. Naughty Dog's combat still leaves something to be desired from me, I just don't think it quite lives up to their other strengths (art direction, characters, storytelling). I also am having a little more fun playing TR versus TLoU but I think that has more to do with the tone of the games versus the quality of them (TLoU being much more depressing and bleak than TR).

Overall I think TLoU is a little bit better game overall but TR is more fun (and looks AMAZING on pc). I think anyone who likes TLoU should give Tomb Raider a shot sometime, it's really frickin good.

Oh and also play Metro:Last Light..... it's not in the same genre as these other two games but just do it anyway haha, love me some of that game.
I also jumped on Tomb Raider after playing TLOU. Both great adventure games and I'm wondering why it took me to play TR. TR plays a lot faster and more enjoyable fighting scenes compared to TLOU. The realistic undertone of TLOU is far superior to TR though. I know it is a game but I love how many of the things go haywire in TR (I know, that is how the series is).

How many times Lara gets hurt (How she gets sliced and impaled and walk through feces/blood infused water and not get any diseases, Keeping her alive via tying her upside down multiple times when they should of just killed her, etc.) and not suffer death is beyond me.

Again both great games.

Took me 25.5hrs to finish my first run on Normal. Got around 123 collectibles on that. My conversations was around 27 then for some reason got reset to zero while chapter selecting or something (darn). Gonna do all collectibles first, then MP then 2 Survival runs for the plat.

At first I thought that ending sucked. Then after around a couple of minutes it finally sunk on to me and thought it was "An honest and appropriate ending" lol. Incredible game, i really enjoyed the main and the smaller stories we came across.

Other story thoughts:
I agree with what joel and marlene said that It's like Ellie was meant to be on that operation. But the Joel that I knew while playing the game would only let it end on his way and will go through extreme lengths to save ellie from the world and herself. Ellie is his world and the only one that worth saving for...be it seem very selfish or not. But it's not like the characters (or we) have been given any choices by those antagonists, like they said it's all about enduring and surviving and that's it. As for that lie... I think she felt that Joel lied to her, but accepted it anyways as she too cared for joel just as much joel cared for her. And oh I also think they will comeback to tommy's dam then finding out that everyone turned into those fungi things (lojk, i think everythings ok on dam when they return).

am i the only 1 here that did the 2 play through glitch?
Explain what the glitch does please.

The game moved 3.4 million copies. I'm surprised it moved that many copies but glad to hear a new IP doing well.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/09/the-last-of-us-sells-34-million-copies-in-three-weeks

Took me 25.5hrs to finish my first run on Normal. Got around 123 collectibles on that. My conversations was around 27 then for some reason got reset to zero while chapter selecting or something (darn). Gonna do all collectibles first, then MP then 2 Survival runs for the plat.

At first I thought that ending sucked. Then after around a couple of minutes it finally sunk on to me and thought it was "An honest and appropriate ending" lol. Incredible game, i really enjoyed the main and the smaller stories we came across.

Other story thoughts:
I agree with what joel and marlene said that It's like Ellie was meant to be on that operation. But the Joel that I knew while playing the game would only let it end on his way and will go through extreme lengths to save ellie from the world and herself. Ellie is his world and the only one that worth saving for...be it seem very selfish or not. But it's not like the characters (or we) have been given any choices by those antagonists, like they said it's all about enduring and surviving and that's it. As for that lie... I think she felt that Joel lied to her, but accepted it anyways as she too cared for joel just as much joel cared for her. And oh I also think they will comeback to tommy's dam then finding out that everyone turned into those fungi things (lojk, i think everythings ok on dam when they return).

Patch 1.01 updated the game so that collectables aren't tracked through multiple play-throughs on different difficulty. The patch also blocked the glitch that allows you to start on Survivor+ before beating regular Survivor.

MP is brutal Week 6 Day 1 sucked I heard Week 8 /10/11/12 are all the same almost losing 100% of my clan could have sucked
you can do the healing one for the last 6 missions. its not hard man, especially if you play with me and my crew

instead of going through the 3 playthrough method (say normal, survivor, survivor plus), you can do normal, then go right to survivor plus by doing normal plus, quitting after you start the 2nd chapter, chapter selecting back to the 1st stage but picking survivor. the game thinks its survivor plus and youll get all the difficulty trophies.

the glitch works with 1.01 and 1.02 patches. confirmed by many trophy hunters.

the glitch works with 1.01 and 1.02 patches. confirmed by many trophy hunters.
Oh, I guess the patch only prevents the collectables from carring over then.

I started the MP and played two matches last night (the deathmatch mode). All I can say is that I have no idea what I'm doing...

you can do the healing one for the last 6 missions. its not hard man, especially if you play with me and my crew

i
Thanks bro I just finished my hunters MP playthough was wondering if the challenges reset I did the crafting/gifting one last 3 missions ended up having to do a minimum of 8 to lose 60%. Hoping they reset as I can churn out about 4 a match in survivor.

Oh, I guess the patch only prevents the collectables from carring over then.

I started the MP and played two matches last night (the deathmatch mode). All I can say is that I have no idea what I'm doing...
I played it for about an hour and thought the same thing. It was kinda fun tho! I just need a headset for PS3 so I can hear better. Also, is it worth upgrading weapons in matches? Doesn't seem to help that much.

I played it for about an hour and thought the same thing. It was kinda fun tho! I just need a headset for PS3 so I can hear better. Also, is it worth upgrading weapons in matches? Doesn't seem to help that much.
I dont think it's worth it honestly, I never noctice much of a difference when I upgrade. I just buy armor and ammo.

I think armor would probably be the best thing to buy since it'll help you survive longer. Apparently, even if you use your parts to buy upgrades during battle, they still carry over to your clan. It was actually pretty fun once I started to make sense of it all, though the matches took way too long.

BTW, with regards to the item drops, are those shared? Like if I open one and take everything, is the rest of my team get nothing or can they open it and get their own supplies? Also, do the supplies you pick up and don't use help your clan in anyway?

when youre in a head to head revolver battle and your gun shoots faster, youll probably win it. i dont ever buy ammo as i dont ever run out. since you get ammo from the people you kill. also with things like the bow and hunting rifle, reload speed could be the difference between getting a kill or not.

armor cost goes up every time you buy, so eventually you wont be able to afford it.

Thanks bro I just finished my hunters MP playthough was wondering if the challenges reset I did the crafting/gifting one last 3 missions ended up having to do a minimum of 8 to lose 60%. Hoping they reset as I can churn out about 4 a match in survivor.
they reset after week 12 day 7. i only ever do the same challenges. i dont mess with downs by weapons. i do executions, downs, special executions, gifts and healing. thats it.

I think armor would probably be the best thing to buy since it'll help you survive longer. Apparently, even if you use your parts to buy upgrades during battle, they still carry over to your clan. It was actually pretty fun once I started to make sense of it all, though the matches took way too long.

BTW, with regards to the item drops, are those shared? Like if I open one and take everything, is the rest of my team get nothing or can they open it and get their own supplies? Also, do the supplies you pick up and don't use help your clan in anyway?

what about upgrades and your clan? for items drops, what you see on your screen is for you and you only. your team mate cant take something you dont take as they dont see it on their screen. if you took everything and they got nothing, hardly anyone would ever be able to make a bomb/molotov/etc...

I'm not gonna lie... this MP is actually a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. I just wish they explained it better. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't make a molotov cocktail and then noticed you need three different supplies to make in MP. I also don't understand how you get parts because sometimes, I got parts without killing or reviving anyone. The loot boxes apparently drop parts too.

I'm not sure I can get these MP trophies though. Online MP was never my thing. Plus, having to play 84 games is quite demanding.

BTW, if you finish the one of the faction missions (Hunter or Firefly), and start another one, do your stats/unlocks reset to zero?

bread's done
Back