NBA 2K11 - General Discussion & Info

[quote name='FrankySox']The Suns are going to suck this year. Nash is 80 and they lost their inside dominance. Stoudamire was one of the best players in the NBA last year during the second half of the season, without him they wouldn't have made the playoffs.

You should definitely pick up the game![/QUOTE]
You think the Suns are behind the Bobcats this season? Really?

And the Lakers are going to suck this year, without D. J. Mbenga they wouldn't have made the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yukine']You think the Suns are behind the Bobcats this season? Really?

And the Lakers are going to suck this year, without D. J. Mbenga they wouldn't have made the playoffs.[/QUOTE]
lol @ comparing the importance of Amare to the Suns like Mbenga to the Lakers.

Anyways, I'm having fun with the game so far. Although, online mode seems a bit sketchy, again. I can't get into any ranked games.

Also, OT, but I really wish Amazon would start sending me stuff via FedEx from now on. I come home from working out in the morning, and I see my copy waiting for me on my doorstep. That never happens to me.

so far ive only tried a few Jordan challenges and My Player. i played the crap out of 2k10 and im still stuck in that mindset so i have to learn how to go with this games flow. the Jordan challenges are no joke! hard as hell. i had the "bad Boys" challenge basically beat but i lost the game by 2 points...an isah thomas buzzer beater! i'll be playing all night between jordan and my player. its awesome playing as jordan they got him spot on.

I do like the game and these Jordan challenges are going to kick my arse. I can score and dish the rock but not that great with crashing the boards. Maybe put Jordan at the 4th spot to get some rebounds...lol. And I've never had so many turnovers with the computer defenders having 360 court vision like they have here.

Last edited by a moderator:
We need an NBA Jam thread I am loving NBA 2K11 but I really want a fun Aracde mode.

The NBA Jam announcer is awesome as ever yet $49.99 is way to much on the Wii and NO Multiplayer. Its killing me to wait.

Quote from NBA Jam 2010.

"like your momma wearing latex pants..., That Dunk was Tight !"

Just played that little opening game, might get on for some more tonight, but I like what was there. More on this after I play some more.

This game really stepped it up in terms of jersey options compared to past 2K games. I know some(or most) people don't care about this, but it's one of my favorite aspects of NBA games. The EA games usually had tons more than 2K in the past, but this game is loaded with retros and alternates. It's missing some of my favorites (90s Suns with the shooting suns, 90s Pacers during the height of the Knicks/Pacers rivalry, and the early 90s Sonics), but there are a ton of options this year. I love it.

I got chills during the intro. That was awesome. As for gameplay, turnovers are a beast. I'm going to really have to work on that. This game is already better than last year's, and the opening is the only thing I've played.

[quote name='MSUHitman']So no crippling bugs? It's safe to buy? Is it playable online?[/QUOTE]

That's what I am waiting to hear about as well.

I'm only a casual NBA fan but usually buy an NBA game every year, just cause I enjoy them. I bought this yesterday and been just playing Quick Games and NBA Today and just did a game with OKC vs Cle... good lord Kevin Durant is a beast in this game. Also, if you're having issues with too many steals from bad passes, use icon passing, its a bit slower, but much much better.

After messing around with some Jordan moments, and some online with friends I finally decided to play a quick game, with default settings, except for quarter length which I had set at 12 min. I was the Warriors and I hosted the Hornets. I must say that it was the best experience I've had with a basketball game in a VERY long time. I ended up getting the victory 114-109.

I really had nothing to complain about, the defense is so much better than last year, everything just feels right to me. The stats looked good, I had 47% shooting and I think the CPU had 45%. I can't wait to play some more games tomorrow and start my association. This game is awesome.

[quote name='FrankySox']After messing around with some Jordan moments, and some online with friends I finally decided to play a quick game, with default settings, except for quarter length which I had set at 12 min. I was the Warriors and I hosted the Hornets. I must say that it was the best experience I've had with a basketball game in a VERY long time. I ended up getting the victory 114-109.

I really had nothing to complain about, the defense is so much better than last year, everything just feels right to me. The stats looked good, I had 47% shooting and I think the CPU had 45%. I can't wait to play some more games tomorrow and start my association. This game is awesome.[/QUOTE]

I saw where you were beating the Kings something like 80-2.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I saw where you were beating the Kings something like 80-2.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I like to practice my moves against the computer on easy with their shot turned all the way down when I get the game. Gives me good practice rebounding, and allows me to practice running plays as well as post moves. I like to think of it as a practice session that combines all the practice modes together with the ability to work on rebounding. I suck at rebounding.

im wondering what are you guys using for settings? when i play on default (pro) mode i win by like 20 points but when i up it to All Star mode i get my ass kicked by 20. maybe i should keep it on pro mode but try the sliders on "sim" instead of custom or default. i want to have a challenge without being blown out or blowin the cpu out. i found on all star mode the cpu steals like half my passes no matter what. i always use the pass icon for passes.

Superstar w/ 10 minute quarters. I have to be really careful when I play that way though. Like I'm playing Orlando in my franchise as Miami. I'm up 17 points with about 4.5 minutes left. Fast forward to under a minute left in the game, and I'm just up by 3. So yeah, the AI will definitely punish you for any mistakes you do.

Glad to see the online servers are not complete trash at release for a change.... OH YEA!! Just like normal online is broken at launch. Team up works untill 1 or 2 people quit. Then it says there are no human players remaining.

Noticing playing D has changed alot this year. Haven't played much besides some Jordan stuff and had to play a game with Wall and then check out Cousins.

[quote name='FrankySox']After messing around with some Jordan moments, and some online with friends I finally decided to play a quick game, with default settings, except for quarter length which I had set at 12 min. I was the Warriors and I hosted the Hornets. I must say that it was the best experience I've had with a basketball game in a VERY long time. I ended up getting the victory 114-109.

I really had nothing to complain about, the defense is so much better than last year, everything just feels right to me. The stats looked good, I had 47% shooting and I think the CPU had 45%. I can't wait to play some more games tomorrow and start my association. This game is awesome.[/QUOTE]

The only thing that sucks is how long 12 minute quarters take. I don't think I ever finished a season in past games on 5 minutes quarters. But, with 5 minute quarters, while you get realistic percentages and such, the teams end up scoring in the 50's and 60's.

I played as the Warriors online last night and it was awesome. Curry/Ellis can rain in buckets like no other. The shooting feels a lot smoother and more satisfying this year too.

[quote name='drbutchevil']So, whats anyone using for Shooting type for jumpshots? Real Player % or Shot Stick? Which is default online and can it be changed?[/QUOTE]

Online default is shot stick for both the FT's and regular jump shots. I like to use Real Player % for FT's in my association but keep jump shots at "Shot Stick". I've never tried playing with jumpshots on Real % because I think it'd make you miss some open shots just because you are due to miss. I don't know if that's for sure how it works because I've never tried it, but never really interested in it either.

I've been getting good results with the sim gameplay and 12 min. quarters. Loving the game so far.

[quote name='sublime90']im wondering what are you guys using for settings? when i play on default (pro) mode i win by like 20 points but when i up it to All Star mode i get my ass kicked by 20. maybe i should keep it on pro mode but try the sliders on "sim" instead of custom or default. i want to have a challenge without being blown out or blowin the cpu out. i found on all star mode the cpu steals like half my passes no matter what. i always use the pass icon for passes.[/QUOTE]
5 minute all-star, and I increase foul chance so people can actually foul out and teams can get into the bonus, and I also decrease fatigue, so I actually have to use my bench. It's been working well, as through three association games I'm 2-1, with my only loss being on the road to the Lakers. I've had several times in the bonus, and one or two people foul out, not to mention I've used 10 out of my 12 players.

Are all of the Jordan challenges 8 minute quarters? I went to do one of them, started it, and saw that it was 8 minutes, which I didn't have time for, so I quit. I also noticed you can save your progress in them, which is cool.

[quote name='matto1233']5 minute all-star, and I increase foul chance so people can actually foul out and teams can get into the bonus, and I also decrease fatigue, so I actually have to use my bench. It's been working well, as through three association games I'm 2-1, with my only loss being on the road to the Lakers. I've had several times in the bonus, and one or two people foul out, not to mention I've used 10 out of my 12 players.

Are all of the Jordan challenges 8 minute quarters? I went to do one of them, started it, and saw that it was 8 minutes, which I didn't have time for, so I quit. I also noticed you can save your progress in them, which is cool.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to check when I get home, but I thought it reflected your current game settings. I only had a chance to play for a very few minutes last night, but when I started "The Arrival" against Boston it was at 7 minutes which is what I had set my preferences to.

[quote name='chriscolbert']I'll have to check when I get home, but I thought it reflected your current game settings. I only had a chance to play for a very few minutes last night, but when I started "The Arrival" against Boston it was at 7 minutes which is what I had set my preferences to.[/QUOTE]

No, it can't be, because I tried three others and they were all at 8 minutes. I have mine set to 5 minute quarters.

I have always enjoyed the blacktop 5v5 on prev games but this one is pissing me off. WTF is up with those damn spotlights? Is there any way to turn it off or choose like a diff court?

[quote name='matto1233']No, it can't be, because I tried three others and they were all at 8 minutes. I have mine set to 5 minute quarters.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what I must have been looking at last night. I had got home late from the Nets/Sixers preseason game and was pretty tired I guess.

8 minutes it is!

[quote name='chriscolbert']I have no idea what I must have been looking at last night. I had got home late from the Nets/Sixers preseason game and was pretty tired I guess.

8 minutes it is![/QUOTE]
I didn't mean that it couldn't have been 7 minutes, I meant that it wasn't what your settings were. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I love Jordan mode, actually its the only thing I'm gonna play until I finish it. I don't know if it's because I've never played as a legit, not created, Jordan on a video game ever but playing against these Legendary teams with the incredible Bulls teams is just so much fun.

Cannot stop playing them, and the challenges aren't really too bad. Although as I was playing the Shrug game, Drexler had 10 with 5 mins to go and you only have to hold him under 20. I thought I was golden but I think the computer was trying to get me to fail, he ended up with 19.

Yeah, that jordan mode is amazing. I love how they made the everyone play as their real life counter parts. I personally am playing the mode on HOF as I find it would be disrespectful to play a Jordan mode on some pussy level like pro.

When I was vsing boston you would have thought I just slept with Larry Legends sister....daggers from every where. You can feel that Jordan has better skills than everyone but that doesnt stop them from displaying some of their own.

Damn you Clyde the Glide.....stop dunking on my team mates!

You guys seeing any weird trades in Association mode? I'm the Heat, and I keep on getting offers for Wade or Lebron. IDK why other teams would think I'd give them away.

Man, the presentation in this game is probably the best in any sports game ever. The player specific highlight packages they put together at the end of the game are seriously ridiculous. After my first Jordan Challenge I actually beat, I watched Jordan's highlights to bask in my accomplishment, and the montage was crazy. It looked like real Jordan career highlights.

The camera angles, the slo mo, the moves...everything looked true to life. It looked so good, I had to actually remind myself that it was in game footage and things that I had done. It looked more like CGI video they'd use in a commercial to promote the game. I even watched the one for John Paxson since I started raining down threes with him when Jordan got double teamed, haha. It was beautiful. :)

[quote name='eddie291']You guys seeing any weird trades in Association mode? I'm the Heat, and I keep on getting offers for Wade or Lebron. IDK why other teams would think I'd give them away.[/QUOTE]

I simmed 2 seasons of Association, and constantly had teams offer me shitty players for Joakim Noah or the deram package of Derrick Rose and Carlos Boozer. Miami actually offered me Mario Chalmers and Mike Miller for Rose and Boozer! Wow.

I agree with you, Nate. Pretty much everything is well done. The Jordan modes and classic team stuff could almost be a full game by itself, and I'd probably have bought that over the current league since I grew up in Illinois with the Bulls and Jordan and have seen all of those games (some not live, like the '86 Celtics game when I was 2 years old). The only slight downside is that not all of the players on classic teams are represented, and they use the same generic players on multiple classic teams. I have no idea why they have Jud Buechler (my man!) on the Bulls, but a fake Randy Brown and Dickey Simpkins.

Usually, with these games, I play Association and CAG leagues, and that's about it. I play with the Bulls 80% of the time and the Lakers 20%, and rarely try other teams. I bring that up because the NBA Today mode in quick play is fucking brilliant. To have each day's matchups right there gives me a great reason to try out all the teams. The fact that the correct locations and non-NBA arenas are used for overseas preseason games at the moment, the commentary acknowledging it being preseason, and the teams' upcoming schedules popping up along with advertisements for upcoming NBA games on TV is just amazing.

I have only played 5 games or so, but this title is just incredible. This is literally what I conceived and dreamed up as a 10 year old kid, times 100. I was obsessed with basketball till I finished high school, but while it's no longer my favorite sport, this game is just spectacular. The lone downside, as the reviews mentioned, is My Player. Granted, I have only played through the drills and a couple Draft Combine games, but the mode seems way too hard and not as much fun as one would think. Drills are tough; players rarely pass to you even when you call for it in games; and the points you get for doing something positive versus the massive amount taken away for something negative needs more balance.

I don't want to ramble on too long, though (or have I already?). This game is the shit. Hard, but the shit.

[quote name='Matt Young']The lone downside, as the reviews mentioned, is My Player. Granted, I have only played through the drills and a couple Draft Combine games, but the mode seems way too hard and not as much fun as one would think. Drills are tough; players rarely pass to you even when you call for it in games; and the points you get for doing something positive versus the massive amount taken away for something negative needs more balance.[/QUOTE]

I haven't read through all the reviews, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I set my guy up as my actual self...and trying to be a 5'11" point guard is hard enough, but the stats they start you out with are just too low. The only drill I can get anything in is the shooting one. I've come close in the dribbling drill (though for whatever reason, I suck at the Iso moves) and the steals drill (but again...being 5'11" makes it easy for them to just throw the ball out of my reach).

It also doesn't help that my teammates can't make shots for shit. When you have goals of getting a certain amount of assists, but can't get a guy to hit a 5 foot jumper, it really sucks. Then I come down the court and get half a grade taken away for "allowed an inside pass". That's worse than "You were out there while a goal was scored" in NHL 11, haha. Just brutal. I did better in my first D-League game though. I scored 17 points in 11 minutes because I just started streaking to the other end of the court as soon as a shot went up, which gave me a bunch of easy lay ups. It was the only way I could keep my damn teammate grade up.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I haven't read through all the reviews, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I set my guy up as my actual self...and trying to be a 5'11" point guard is hard enough, but the stats they start you out with are just too low. The only drill I can get anything in is the shooting one. I've come close in the dribbling drill (though for whatever reason, I suck at the Iso moves) and the steals drill (but again...being 5'11" makes it easy for them to just throw the ball out of my reach).

It also doesn't help that my teammates can't make shots for shit. When you have goals of getting a certain amount of assists, but can't get a guy to hit a 5 foot jumper, it really sucks. Then I come down the court and get half a grade taken away for "allowed an inside pass". That's worse than "You were out there while a goal was scored" in NHL 11, haha. Just brutal. I did better in my first D-League game though. I scored 17 points in 11 minutes because I just started streaking to the other end of the court as soon as a shot went up, which gave me a bunch of easy lay ups. It was the only way I could keep my damn teammate grade up.[/QUOTE]
That's exactly what I do. Fastbreak all day. However, I love my player. It's a great challenge. Very frustrating, but a great challenge. I sucked in the combine games, got drafted mid 2nd round, however I'm averaging like 12 and 6 in 3 summer league games.

[quote name='matto1233']That's exactly what I do. Fastbreak all day. However, I love my player. It's a great challenge. Very frustrating, but a great challenge. I sucked in the combine games, got drafted mid 2nd round, however I'm averaging like 12 and 6 in 3 summer league games.[/QUOTE]

Well, I love the mode. It's just not done quite as well as Be A Pro in NHL 11 or Road to the Show in MLB 10: The Show. I just wish there were more positives or that they counted for more. When I'm the leading scorer on my team and lead us to a win, my teammate score should be better than a C+.

So do you guys agree with the IGN reviewer when he says that this is the best sports game of this generation? I'd say that title goes to College Hoops 2K8 right now, but that might change once I spend a little more time with this game.

^I just like the College Hoops legacy mode. It's more addicting than association. Other than that, I feel that gameplay-wise CH is always a step down below the NBA 2k series. For me, it's hard to make an argument for CH right now (well, it has legacy mode).

Just played some offline games with a friend. Mayn, plays pretty well and presentation is awesome. I remember reading impressions and people were saying that it forces you play a more sim-style game of bball. I feel that's true, and so far, there's not a solid way to get around that (as I watched my friend try to). I like that, hehe.

Something weird happened in our last game-- none of the highlights were working, so during the halftime show, they just showed stats and went straight to a courtside view for a good minute. Same with postgame/Jordan Player of the Game. Im guessing it's cause I don't have HD space, but it worked in the first couple of games we played... I don't understand.

Still trying to get used to the new isomotion controls. I'm not as "smooth" with the ball movement as I was in NBA 2k10 yet.

The one thing I don't like right now is the hop step dunks. Those seem impossible to pick the ball off/block and they happen too frequently (first game with Miami, Lebron's first three dunks were that hop step dunk). =/

Is there any sort of tutorial mode in this game or anywhere online that can give me a run down on any how to play the game well?

I found the practice mode but that just lists the offensive stuff... I was hoping for a full on tutorial mode but I don't think it's in there.

I haven't played a basketball game since the Dreamcast days and I'm doing *horrible* at this and not quite sure how to improve. When the Hornets beat the Lakers by 30 points I know I'm playing the game completely wrong, haha.

And yea, for a new player, I'll echo the comments about My Player... it's brutally hard, the lowest difficulty is Pro and I lost every game in the combine due to my teammates missing 90% of the shots. It doesn't help that after I get some 2k Insider telling me how much I suck. I'm not really enjoying that mode at all.

I love the way the game starts off with the MJ intro into the bulls lakers game.

Why cant every game start like that..They should of done that style into for every jordan moment.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']So do you guys agree with the IGN reviewer when he says that this is the best sports game of this generation? I'd say that title goes to College Hoops 2K8 right now, but that might change once I spend a little more time with this game.[/QUOTE]

No, but I'm definitely biased to the college football games, I think NCAA 11 is the best. NBA 2k11 is no doubt the best basketball game I've played though. On the court this game is simply amazing.

I'll be around all weekend if anyone is interested in a game, I use the Warriors.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, I love the mode. It's just not done quite as well as Be A Pro in NHL 11 or Road to the Show in MLB 10: The Show. I just wish there were more positives or that they counted for more. When I'm the leading scorer on my team and lead us to a win, my teammate score should be better than a C+.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to spend those hard earned skill points before your games because they can give you NEGATIVE points. Just played one of my better games in My Jr. High Player mode and got a C- and -82 points. Good thing I spent everything I had before I played. I put up 8 pts, 5 reb, and 5 assists. Unfortunately I turned the ball over twice and allowed my matchup to score 6 points, shame on me. You'd think you were playing with Jordan based on the way they grade you. I guess I'm supposed to take over the game with my 16 overall player and get us a win, otherwise -500 points.

Ugh, will it ever get better.

I haven't played My Player mode yet but everything else so far has just been awesome. I was originally considering waiting on buying this until closer to Christmas due to the HUGE amount of bugs and glitches in last year's game at release but I'm really glad I went ahead and bought it. This year's game plays GREAT out of the box, so much better than last year. The presentation is the best of any sports game I have ever played, and the sound is incredible as well. Just an awesome game so far, between this and NHL 11 I am set all Winter.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']So do you guys agree with the IGN reviewer when he says that this is the best sports game of this generation? I'd say that title goes to College Hoops 2K8 right now, but that might change once I spend a little more time with this game.[/QUOTE]

I'm much more of an NHL guy than I am an NBA guy, so I think that NHL 11 is right up there with it's gameplay and everything else it brings to the table in regards to the different modes you can play and whatnot.

I skipped out on 2K10 last year so the learning curve is a bit tougher for me personally, but I can certainly appreciate everything that this game does and can't argue that there's a definitive "better" sports game out there, especially if you're an NBA fan in the least. This week has just been crazy for me and I look forward to spending more time with it. The first time I turned it on was after I got home from seeing the Nets/Sixers preseason game Tuesday night and when I saw that it was being played in Roanoke, VA that just blew my mind.

If someone stole every game in my collection except for this, NHL 11, NCAA 11, and The Show, I'd be okay ;) .

[quote name='chriscolbert']I'm much more of an NHL guy than I am an NBA guy, so I think that NHL 11 is right up there with it's gameplay and everything else it brings to the table in regards to the different modes you can play and whatnot.

I skipped out on 2K10 last year so the learning curve is a bit tougher for me personally, but I can certainly appreciate everything that this game does and can't argue that there's a definitive "better" sports game out there, especially if you're an NBA fan in the least. This week has just been crazy for me and I look forward to spending more time with it. The first time I turned it on was after I got home from seeing the Nets/Sixers preseason game Tuesday night and when I saw that it was being played in Roanoke, VA that just blew my mind.

If someone stole every game in my collection except for this, NHL 11, NCAA 11, and The Show, I'd be okay ;) .[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I meant to go that Nets/76ers game in Roanoke and i totally forgot about it. Oh well.

This game has the best presentation of any sports game I've played, and it's just about all I could want in a basketball game. The commentary is incredible, as they actually talk about the results from their previous game, and the set up where you can play whatever game is scheduled for that day is a very cool idea. I haven't gone into any of the online stuff, so I'm hoping that's not the weak part of the game.

The only thing that I could possibly still ask for is something that no sports game has ever really tried doing with the exception of NBA Live 10.

I want an XBOX Live (or PSN) integrated season mode where yes, you would have to wait for the games to take place, but you would be able to play a concurrent season with the real rosters and stats (with the games you play being the only thing different from the actual season).

Now I fully understand what you have to give up with this type of mode but I think there's a market for it. I don't care about running a dynasty or how many trades the CPU makes after two years. It's essentially the NBA Today feature more fleshed out where you can go back and play any game to count towards the season (along with accumulating stats and whatnot). When you think about all the other crap they can do with games nowadays you would think someone (other than NBA Live 10) would try to pull it off. Think about it. Games that reflect real roster moves, trades, hot streaks, etc. without you having to do anything except play the damn game.

That's my unofficial challenge :D

[quote name='bstan21']The game is brutal if you try and run and gone. You have to use movement and spacing. See these, they should help...

It all starts on D :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

This helped a bunch. I turned it down to Rookie mode as well so I'm starting to get better. Just trashed the Suns as the Thunder 101 - 69, haha.

I guess i'm that guy.... I hate the game this year. HATE it... I didn't play the demo just bought it at release just like every year at release. Went straight online as that's 99% of my NBA 2K game time and got a huge how-do-you-do. LOL everything changed everything.

I'm more of a college fan than a pro fan. I prefer and play a straight run and gun aggressive game on offense and defense with an athletic team. My play style is totally raped this year. Defense was the most fun last year and they totally changed it to just playing lanes and playing space... Oh well.

bread's done
Back