Need help finding a notebook

Ultimate Matt X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I've been looking for a notebook and was wondering if anyone had any advice? I didn't put this in the deals boards because I'm interested in brand and other info too, but I am interested if anyone knows of any good deals too. Right now I was looking at a Dell sale I found at techdeals and Circuit City has an HP for a decent price with an Acer I think it is. I'm looking to spend around $600-$800. If anyone has any tips, but needs more info just let me know. The only thing I really care about on the computer is not an overly small screen and the bigger the hard drive the better.

I've been scoping out notebooks too

I really like the Toshiba Satellite P100, and the Dell Inspiron 9400 Small Business.

I used to have a HP ZD8000. Trust me those 17" monitors are gorgeous. I started out with a 15.4" and felt short changed, so I swaped them out. Also spend the extra $200-$400 and get a notebook with a decent video card (non-integrated graphics). Whether you play games or not, it'll come in handy if you ever want to use Vista Aero to it's fullest potential.

Also, go with a hard drive thats 7,200 rpm. Thats why I'd never go with a retailer like Circuit City, CompUSA, Best Buy, Walmart, etc. Because 1) they never specify the hard drive speed 2) unless specifically stated, they will use a HDD with 4,200 rpm to cut back on costs

Also what are you going to use the notebook FOR? If it's just general stuff, you've got all kinds of options. You can also just configure a cheap or midrange notebook on Dell and easily come out with that price.

If you want a gaming system, you can't get one for that price. Cheapest you can do is an Inspiron e1705/9400 with a Geforce 7900GS (Toshiba also has a similarly configured model off and on).

I mainly just want it for the net and school things, I'll stick with the desktop for gaming. Though I don't want it to creep because of Vista or when I'm burning movies and such either.

Here are a couple I'm looking at for around $650 from Dell right now:

$619
Intel Pentium dual-core T2060(1MB Cache/1.6GHz/533MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic or XP Home
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
80GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
Integrated Audio
Media Direct 3

Another was 650 but it had only 1 GB of RAM and had a 120 GB Hard Drive, but had a better video card. HD space is important, but I'm thinking the extra RAM is a better bet, any thoughts?

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']I've been looking for a notebook and was wondering if anyone had any advice? I didn't put this in the deals boards because I'm interested in brand and other info too, but I am interested if anyone knows of any good deals too. Right now I was looking at a Dell sale I found at techdeals and Circuit City has an HP for a decent price with an Acer I think it is. I'm looking to spend around $600-$800. If anyone has any tips, but needs more info just let me know. The only thing I really care about on the computer is not an overly small screen and the bigger the hard drive the better.[/quote]

I sometimes see some good deals on www.tigerdirect.com , reconditioned and such.

bread's done
Back