Netflix has arrived! 7.99/mo, first hit is free

doctor_payne13

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Netflix.ca

No streaming yet on 360, put there's a client already available on PS3 (a feature that U.S. PS3s don't have yet), and you can order a disc for the Wii.

First month is free, but they require a credit card or Paypal account, so don't forget to cancel if you're not impressed.

It's neat! But the selection of movies and shows seems kind of... hilariously bad. Some diamonds in the rough though!

[quote name='Ashground']Let me know if anyone has any comments / questions :)[/QUOTE]

Very awesome! I'm thinking of sticking with NetFlix now that my trial is ending on Monday, so I will bokmark this. I never realized how much MST3K was recently added, very useful so far!
What is it about Central Canada that its full of people with awesome ideas for useful websites? :)

Comments (suggestions really):
1) hopefully there will be a search engine soon? I think searching by categories would be the most useful right now.
2) post this to RFD if you want way more coverage/feedback.

Their selection is absolutely abysmal. After trying the trial and finding out they had no episodes of family guy I literally canceled it 10 minutes later lol. There are better options right now imo

[quote name='helluvagood']Their selection is absolutely abysmal. After trying the trial and finding out they had no episodes of family guy I literally canceled it 10 minutes later lol. There are better options right now imo[/QUOTE]

It's funny, I had the exact opposite reaction. There are so many movies that I've been dying to watch that you'd never expect to find at a rental place (like the original Solaris, or a thousand MST3Ks, or a decent selection of old Doctor Who). It's not a great service if you're looking for a really specific (and recent) movie or TV show, but if you're just in the mood to "watch something", I've found the selection to be spectacular.

I mean, hopefully that'll change and we'll see a lot of more recent content, but even if it stayed the way it is and only added older movies, I think I'd still feel justified in subscribing.

Just updated the site -- now there's a link in each summary to "Watch Now", which (if you're logged in to Netflix) should automatically start the movie instead of taking you to the details page. I haven't tested it, but I'm assuming that if you're not logged in to Netflix you'll just get the login screen.

[quote name='Ashground']Just updated the site -- now there's a link in each summary to "Watch Now", which (if you're logged in to Netflix) should automatically start the movie instead of taking you to the details page. I haven't tested it, but I'm assuming that if you're not logged in to Netflix you'll just get the login screen.[/QUOTE]

Very impressed. You should look into getting some money out of this!

[quote name='Heartless18']Very impressed. You should look into getting some money out of this![/QUOTE]

I'm looking into running some ads, but I'll only do it if they're really, REALLY unobtrusive. I'm always pissed when someone makes a really clean, useful site, and a week later it's covered in ads.

[quote name='helluvagood']After trying the trial and finding out they had no episodes of family guy I literally canceled it 10 minutes later lol.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Family Guy is what killed it for you?

To each their own, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
RSS feed? It might exist already:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1036640

"Go see this RSS feed I keep watching ... it updates to show every new addition to the Canadian Netflix catalogue

feed://www.netflix.ca/NewWatchInstantlyRSS

hope this helps
smile.gif
"

I don't have Netflix, but thought I would pass the info.

[quote name='cashinstinct']RSS feed? It might exist already:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1036640

"Go see this RSS feed I keep watching ... it updates to show every new addition to the Canadian Netflix catalogue

feed://www.netflix.ca/NewWatchInstantlyRSS

hope this helps
smile.gif
"

I don't have Netflix, but thought I would pass the info.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the feed I'm getting my info from. It just makes the data in it much more presentable -- and unlike the feed, actually tells you when a movie was added. I've found the feed that exists to be kind of useless, because all it does is dump all the movies in chronological order, so you don't know if a movie was added a day ago or a month ago.

Makes sense, I did not know where info came from.

Some people could use this RSS feed while you figure out a way to make a more useful RSS feed.

Thanks for your work for the community.

I almost forgot to cancel my free trial but I did a day before it ended. I only used Netflix once on the PS3 and the quality sucked IMO. Plus they never did get me my Wii disc sent out to me (not that it matters now since the Wii is disc free.

If they had Dragon Ball Kai available then maybe I would have kept on with them but they didn't and either does Zip.ca. I guess I will be sticking around with Zip.ca since the shipping times aren't bad and the stock is very nice (except they need to get Dragon Ball Kai).

[quote name='lustyhitter']It's good to see some "Cowbell" on Netflix.[/QUOTE]

Watched the cowbell tonight. Good to see the SNL stuff showing up.
Also Netflix sent me a few emails extending my free trial due to difficulties (1 day per each e-mail).....kinda odd since I had no difficulties.
Extended free is good for me.

Eh, I got my Wii disc in the mail today. Despite ordering it back in September, and after Netflix became available on the shop channel.

Oh well. My Wii is borked anyway. I get sound but no vide. Anyone know what the problem could be?

[quote name='bs000']Eh, I got my Wii disc in the mail today. Despite ordering it back in September, and after Netflix became available on the shop channel.

Oh well. My Wii is borked anyway. I get sound but no vide. Anyone know what the problem could be?[/QUOTE]

Your systems video card could be fried. Call up Nintendo's customer support. They got excellent customer service.

My launch day Wii bricked about a month after I purchased it and before it died I think the video card was going on it. The screen kept on flashing every so often.

I just wanted to let everyone know that RSS feeds are now available for whatsnewonnetflix.com. Thanks to everyone who suggested this. You can subscribe through http://feeds.feedburner.com/whatsnewonnetflix.

There are a couple reasons this is better than the official Netflix RSS feed. First of all, it works; you can't subscribe to the official Netflix feed in something like Google Reader because it'll always default back to the US feed. This is a dedicated Canadian feed. Secondly, Netflix tends to add movies in batches, and while their official feed has a new post for every movie that gets added, this feed groups new movies into a single post. So, if 60 movies are added at one, like they were this week, you get a single post with 60 movies, instead of 60 unread posts. Finally, you can actually start watching a movie straight from your feed reader. I'm not really sure who watches a movie straight from their feed reader, but... well, it's a feature.

There's a slight formatting error with a couple movies (the "&NFb;&NFb;_;" at the start of a few movie summaries), but any new movies that get added shouldn't have this problem. That's the only real error I know of. As always, let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

Okay, good news and bad news. The bad news: if you subscribe to the What's New On Netflix feed, you probably just had all the posts so far re-appear as new posts in your reader. Sadly, it couldn't be helped. The RSS feeds have gotten off to a bit of a rocky start, but -- fingers crossed -- every bug should be squashed now.

To make it up to everyone, I added the second RSS feed people have been asking for, which publishes an individual entry for each movie that's released. It's essentially a mirror of the official Netflix RSS feed, but the upside to this one is that it doesn't redirect to the US feed like the official one does, so you can subscribe to it in any feed reader.

Anyway, I'm sick as a dog, so I should probably stop coding and go find some tea. You can find both feeds on the homepage, http://whatsnewonnetflix.com.

wait so it's just streaming or 'wii discs'? i assumed it was the mail in thing so i could rent blurays for $X a month & ditch rogers

[quote name='kn00tcn']i assumed it was the mail in thing so i could rent blurays for $X a month & ditch rogers[/QUOTE]

Nope. They don't plan on rolling out DVD shipping in Canada--ever. As far as they're concerned, streaming is the future (and most of their growth in the States is going to be in the streaming area as well.)

i think I'm going to give it a try in the next few days...

at least it'll give me a reason to turn on my PS3 again as I've barely used it since I played through Demon's Souls

[quote name='kn00tcn']wait so it's just streaming or 'wii discs'? i assumed it was the mail in thing so i could rent blurays for $X a month & ditch rogers[/QUOTE]

At first I was hoping to get DVDs in the mail also, but after testing the streaming I'm not sure that I'll miss the option at all. The only benefit would've been a wider selection of movies and I'm in the camp that there is already a ton of great stuff already available. (Many of the movies I search for aren't available, but every time I browse the catalog on my computer there are another 4-5 standout movies/TV series that I'd like to watch. My biggest complaint is that there is no good way to queue up stuff I'm really interested in for later.)

I'd totally understand if others feel differently though.

I've noticed some screwy things with the selection. The show Justified doesn't run the proper episode. I notified them and they took the show away for a few days....and when it came back on nothing changed....actually I think it's worse now.
A few movies are also choppy or not synced right (faulty towers, rumble in the bronx).

I've also been on a horror movie binge (low on my quota) and today we watched The Covenant (mostly because I kept trying to remember who Renny Harlin was) but after it was over I read the description and it wasn't the movie listed.

This was listed:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480516/
This is what ran:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475944/

I found the 2nd one in with the search function but it was listed as unavailable....oops.
I guess it pays to just run everything sometimes without reading the info.

[quote name='Ashground']Okay, good news and bad news. The bad news: if you subscribe to the What's New On Netflix feed, you probably just had all the posts so far re-appear as new posts in your reader. Sadly, it couldn't be helped. The RSS feeds have gotten off to a bit of a rocky start, but -- fingers crossed -- every bug should be squashed now.

To make it up to everyone, I added the second RSS feed people have been asking for, which publishes an individual entry for each movie that's released. It's essentially a mirror of the official Netflix RSS feed, but the upside to this one is that it doesn't redirect to the US feed like the official one does, so you can subscribe to it in any feed reader.

Anyway, I'm sick as a dog, so I should probably stop coding and go find some tea. You can find both feeds on the homepage, http://whatsnewonnetflix.com.[/QUOTE]

This is incredibly useful, thanks! Bizarre that Netflix itself doesn't make it more apparent which movies are actually new.

[quote name='Robotron2084']I've noticed some screwy things with the selection. The show Justified doesn't run the proper episode. I notified them and they took the show away for a few days....and when it came back on nothing changed....actually I think it's worse now.
A few movies are also choppy or not synced right (faulty towers, rumble in the bronx).

I've also been on a horror movie binge (low on my quota) and today we watched The Covenant (mostly because I kept trying to remember who Renny Harlin was) but after it was over I read the description and it wasn't the movie listed.

This was listed:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480516/
This is what ran:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475944/

I found the 2nd one in with the search function but it was listed as unavailable....oops.
I guess it pays to just run everything sometimes without reading the info.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I had the same thing happen when trying to watch the Good Shepherd. It's listed as the Damon/Jolie/De Niro one, but instead it's some low budget made in Canada thingy starring Christian Slater :whistle2:? Judging from the comments lots of people have informed Netflix of this, with no response.

[quote name='helluvagood']Their selection is absolutely abysmal. After trying the trial and finding out they had no episodes of family guy I literally canceled it 10 minutes later lol. There are better options right now imo[/QUOTE]

I actually signed up to these forums just to reply to this, lol.

Netflix has Family Guy, every season ever released on DVD so far. I also checked the date of the post I'm replying to in case it was posted long time ago, but it wasn't. I've been watching Family Guy streaming through my PS3 from Netflix for past few months. They've had them long time.

Hopefully I'm not misreading this. You are referring to Netflix selection right? If so, then yeah, they've had all the Family Guy episodes released on DVD thus far. They are also available for streaming.

[quote name='h0tNstilettos']I actually signed up to these forums just to reply to this, lol.

Netflix has Family Guy, every season ever released on DVD so far. I also checked the date of the post I'm replying to in case it was posted long time ago, but it wasn't. I've been watching Family Guy streaming through my PS3 from Netflix for past few months. They've had them long time.

Hopefully I'm not misreading this. You are referring to Netflix selection right? If so, then yeah, they've had all the Family Guy episodes released on DVD thus far. They are also available for streaming.[/QUOTE]

family guy is currently not available on netflix.ca it is on .com but not .ca

[quote name='nightwing12']family guy is currently not available on netflix.ca it is on .com but not .ca[/QUOTE]

Oh, ok, that explains it. Very sorry lol. I wasn't aware of that. ^^

bread's done
Back