New Grandia 2 PS2 $9.99 EB B&M

Totally worth it. I loved this game on the Dreamcast, and if you don't have that system you should definitely pick this one up and try it if you like RPGs.

However, the PS2 port is extremely flawed - it seems very rushed.

All in all, it's one of the best reasons to own a Dreamcast (and certainly the best one if you're into RPGs).

The biggest flaw I saw in the PS2 version: SLOWDOWN. If you have a GameRush, sounds like you could score a Dreamcast AND a copy of this game for just a little more than buying the PS2 version anyways. ^_^

Don't think so.... Seen it all over the place.

Of course if it is and I've seen it all over the place, let me know so I can get them... =D

[quote name='nneace']Is Extreme rare?[/quote]

I don't think so. I see them alll the time around here. One comes in, one goes out; that sort of thing.edit: I think the price o fit must have gone down. At a couple EBs I have seen it normally going for 24.99. Hopefully the EB 30% off coupon comes in because I would love to pick up one of these for cheap.

I had heard that the PS2 version wasn't as good as the DC version. I just never knew why... (I own the DC version, and it is excellent!)

I rented the PS2 version when it cames out and I didn't like enough to buy it. Is Grandia extreme better?

Xtreme is an action RPG from what I understand, Grandia 1 & 2 are traditional "turn-based" (I assume 2 is, I've never played it). Possibly depends on what you like.

Xtreme is also incredibly, horribly AWFUL in terms of the voice-acting. Ye gods, that crap is so bad that I thought my skull was going to split before I got to the second battle. It also seems to take forever to really get going, but maybe that's due to aforementioned lack of quality in the voices. :p

Grandia 2 for DC was actually the first traditional (non-action) RPG I ever completed. It's a shame more RPGs can't be this interesting.

[quote name='Rig']I had heard that the PS2 version wasn't as good as the DC version. I just never knew why... (I own the DC version, and it is excellent!)[/quote]

The reason everybody says that is because of the slowdown. I am not kidding when I say it might be the worst I have ever seen on any console game in some places. It does have fog for the battle sequences, but thats not a very good trade off in my opinion.

[quote name='tdphillips']Xtreme is an action RPG from what I understand, Grandia 1 & 2 are traditional "turn-based" (I assume 2 is, I've never played it). Possibly depends on what you like.[/quote]
No, Xtreme's combat system is basically the same as Grandia 2's, which I gather is a lot like the first Grandia's (never really played the original, so I couldn't say). Combat in both games uses sort of an "active time" system (or whatever the hell you want to call it): basically, actions take place in real-time, but the game pauses whenever it's your turn to issue orders to your characters. Doing well in combat requires good planning and a sense of how long it takes to perform actions after you've issued orders. IMHO, this makes combat much more engaging and enjoyable than the "classic" turn-based approach that has existed since the original Wizardry.

The real difference is Xtreme is basically a dungeon crawl: much weaker plot and characters (with poorer voice acting), much stronger emphasis on beating the crap out of stuff. If you're just there for the combat, you might like GX. But if prefer RPGs with a plot, I couldn't recommend it.

I got as far as the randomly-generated dungeon before giving up on Xtreme - just got too tedious for me. [They also made a few tweaks to the combat and character systems I didn't like.] By comparison, despite its cliches, I think Grandia 2 is one of my favorite RPGs of the last five years; I definitely think it's the stronger RPG.

[quote name='unbongwah'][quote name='tdphillips']Xtreme is an action RPG from what I understand, Grandia 1 & 2 are traditional "turn-based" (I assume 2 is, I've never played it). Possibly depends on what you like.[/quote]
No, Xtreme's combat system is basically the same as Grandia 2's, which I gather is a lot like the first Grandia's (never really played the original, so I couldn't say). Combat in both games uses sort of an "active time" system (or whatever the hell you want to call it): basically, actions take place in real-time, but the game pauses whenever it's your turn to issue orders to your characters. Doing well in combat requires good planning and a sense of how long it takes to perform actions after you've issued orders. IMHO, this makes combat much more engaging and enjoyable than the "classic" turn-based approach that has existed since the original Wizardry.

The real difference is Xtreme is basically a dungeon crawl: much weaker plot and characters (with poorer voice acting), much stronger emphasis on beating the crap out of stuff. If you're just there for the combat, you might like GX. But if prefer RPGs with a plot, I couldn't recommend it.

I got as far as the randomly-generated dungeon before giving up on Xtreme - just got too tedious for me. [They also made a few tweaks to the combat and character systems I didn't like.] By comparison, despite its cliches, I think Grandia 2 is one of my favorite RPGs of the last five years; I definitely think it's the stronger RPG.[/quote]

Exactly, Xtreme is indeed quite tedious but it's payoff is what one could argue as having the best combat system of any RPG of the modern generation.

Despite its flaws, I love Xtreme and still play it. The combat system is just so much fun. Of course, I love any game with Grandia in the title.

[quote name='unbongwah'][quote name='tdphillips']Xtreme is an action RPG from what I understand, Grandia 1 & 2 are traditional "turn-based" (I assume 2 is, I've never played it). Possibly depends on what you like.[/quote]

I got as far as the randomly-generated dungeon before giving up on Xtreme - just got too tedious for me. [They also made a few tweaks to the combat and character systems I didn't like.] By comparison, despite its cliches, I think Grandia 2 is one of my favorite RPGs of the last five years; I definitely think it's the stronger RPG.[/quote]

Ok, I stand corrected on GX's battle system. I knew Grandia 1 had the active/turn battle system (hence turn in quotes) and thought 2 had the same system, but I didn't know GX did. It is a good system IMO.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Speaking of Grandia II, was the DC version one disc or two discs long?[/quote]
I think it was one disc but it came with a music cd.

bread's done
Back