New PS3 model on the way (CECH-4001)? EDIT: Now with pics.

[quote name='Thomas96']I hope you're right about that price....that's reasonable.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing $200/$250/$350

Also, I'd call it the PS3 Thin since from front to back the size is about half.

The 16gb of Flash versus a 160gb/250gb HDD would mean a pretty good chunk of cost saving for Sony. It could undercut the Xbox 360 on price.

I don't really like the design. Why couldn't they make it a normal rectangle shape like their blu ray players but slimmer?

I am hoping the 16gb version will be 149.
But Sony may try to get away with releasing it at a 199 price point And 249/299 for the 250gb/500gb models. Since its a new design. Will this have +N wireless ?

Right now the 160gb model is overpriced and in need of a pricedrop from 249pricepoint.

I may be in the minority here but I like this one better than the first slim. It looks much better in the clearer pics. The Fat model is the best though IMO, still a proud owner of one :D

http://www.gamefocus.ca/news/17187.html

10gia8l.jpg

From looking at the pictures, it looks like it will be a top-loader like the PS2 Super Slim. Hopefully the Blu-ray drive will be a lot quieter than the current PS3 Slim.

Alright, now I can see the Hard Drive door on the opposite side of the front USB ports. It also looks a lot nicer than those blurry camera pictures. I'm still very disappointed that it doesn't seem to have rear usb ports.

The 16 gig model will work perfect (for me) if priced well. I've been looking for a 2nd PS3 and have extra HDD's lying around. Assuming I can swap out the HDD like the other systems, I'd jump at $149 (possibly even $199 if I was feeling a little fiesty or had some "freebies" thrown in).

I think the 16GB version is to compete with the 4GB 360 sku. I still agree the PS3 fat is still the best looking design and feature wise. I hope my PS3 fat last me long enough until 1-2 years into the PS4's console cycle. I'm still kind of worried where Sony is heading with the PS3's redesigns. I hope they design a better looking PS4.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Any word on whether the new model is going to use less electricity?[/QUOTE]
I just hope they put the power supply on the outside of the damn case finally like the slim PStwo had, since it's that portion of the console that generates so much mf'n heat with the current slims imo. Honestly, I don't know why the hell Sony tried to go so frickin' complex with their current gen system this time around. A simple top or tray loading system would've been just fine with me from the start.

Eh. That sucks then. Even with the huge fan they have in the PS3 systems it just isn't enough to keep the system cool during more than an hour or two gaming session.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Any word on whether the new model is going to use less electricity?[/QUOTE]

New one draws 80W (180 max) compared to the 100W (200 max) of the current slim. So slightly less.

Is there any technical reason for why Sony creates the base of the PS2 and PS3 as a small rectangle and then the top is for all intents and purposes a much larger rectangle? I really hate that whole design choice. Maybe it is the most efficient use of space.

[quote name='J7.']Is there any technical reason for why Sony creates the base of the PS2 and PS3 as a small rectangle and then the top is for all intents and purposes a much larger rectangle? I really hate that whole design choice. Maybe it is the most efficient use of space.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Base holds the mobo and it appears Sony molded the casing to be an exact fit, rather than having excess plastic...

I'm tired of my 60gb ps3 it makes my entire room hot. Great heater though....
It also sounds like a damn jet too. I can't wait to replace it. (if the price is right...of course.)

[quote name='Nogib']New one draws 80W (180 max) compared to the 100W (200 max) of the current slim. So slightly less.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the random bump but I am just getting around to this. That's great news as I have one of the first slims which draws even higher than that. A ~30W drop would be enough to get me to have this thing either folding or noby'ing all day again.

Thanks Nogib.

i was disappointed sony didn't unveil this at gamescon. maybe we'll see it at tgs. *keeping my fingers crossed*

Kotaku first reported the new model will hit on 9/25... but no idea if that is u.s or japan.

http://kotaku.com/5944433/sony-unveils-a-brand-new-model-of-the-ps3

The new model is 25% smaller and 20% lighter than the current model, and will come in two flavours: 250GB and 500GB. It'll also be available in two colours, white and black.

The black console will be out on October 4, while the white model will be out on November 22
(japan release date??)

250gb price point 24,900 yen = 313dollars with hotshots golf
500gb price point 29,900 yen = 378dollars with hotshots golf

black = 250gb, 500gb
white is only in 250gb

Someone posted the following info. Not sure if its accurate.

North America

The 250GB PS3 will be available on September 25th for $269.99 (MSRP) as part of a limited edition bundle featuring UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception: Game of the Year Edition and a voucher for more than $30 worth of bonus digital content for the highly acclaimed digital title, DUST 514.

250GB - $269 (Bundle Only) - September 25th
500GB - $299 - October 30th
Europe and PAL Territories

Flash Memory 12GB - 229 Euros - October 12th

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused. What is the reason for a price increase? And aren't those ridges just going to be a pain to clean? I just dont understand this.

Ok so the 250GB is obviously a bigger HDD and it's a bundle with...something. Lame.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I'm confused. What is the reason for a price increase? And aren't those ridges just going to be a pain to clean? I just dont understand this.[/QUOTE]

I don't like the design either. Really strange.
If the us pricepoint with uncharted3 is 269 then the unbundle version when released I am guessing would be 249. Which is the current price of the 160gb version. I still think a 199 and 249 price point is where they should of gone with the WiiU release coming soon. But I guess Sony thinks just being cheaper then WiiU will be enough. Even for a 6-7yr old system.

Looks good to me. Like the new UC3 Cover Art too, though the original was solid and simple.

So what then, seems to be implying we have at least two years to go with PS3, right?

[quote name='edson13']so does the new system actually decode truehd and dts hd?[/QUOTE]

I would assume so, they've done that since they came out with the slim.

Edit: you can see the dts hd logo on the front with all the other logos; which i really don't like., too much wording. It reminds me of the infamous Batman "10 out of 10" goty cover art.

I have a question my ps3 recently isnt working and I contacted Sony and they told me to send it in. I haven't sent it due to money issues but since I am gonna send it soon will I be receiving a new system or the current one. My ps3 doesn't read any discs

[quote name='ssjgoku90501']I have a question my ps3 recently isnt working and I contacted Sony and they told me to send it in. I haven't sent it due to money issues but since I am gonna send it soon will I be receiving a new system or the current one. My ps3 doesn't read any discs[/QUOTE]

Depends on what option you choose. Either you get your system back repaired or you get a refurbished 160 gig slim

Looks ugly. And the fact that the price isn't dropping...ouch. Makes me think 2 things.

A - PS4 is going to be ASS expensive like PS3
B - Sony's lost their cotton-picking minds again

assassin-bundle.png
ps3-uncharted3-system-large.png

I'm happy to see that both Playstation 3-Three SKUs include pack-in games. Hopefully this is something SCEA continues for the remainder of the PS3's life cycle.

I'm not really a fan of the new white system, but it doesn't seem like it will be coming to America anyway. Hopefully Sony releases more high definition pictures of the redesign soon.

[quote name='shadowkast']Depends on what option you choose. Either you get your system back repaired or you get a refurbished 160 gig slim[/QUOTE]

Thanks and what's the best option because I don't feel like sending my ps3 every time in.

Of course the big question I still have is: how do discs load? Does the top pop open like slim PS2s? Does the corrugated part slide left to access the disc? Because it certainly doesn't look like it is slot load anymore and Sony changed the "Eject Disc" option to say "Remove Disc" a few firmware revisions ago. And I feel that not having slot load or tray just makes the thing seem cheap.

[quote name='Nogib']Of course the big question I still have is: how do discs load? Does the top pop open like slim PS2s? Does the corrugated part slide left to access the disc? Because it certainly doesn't look like it is slot load anymore and Sony changed the "Eject Disc" option to say "Remove Disc" a few firmware revisions ago. And I feel that not having slot load or tray just makes the thing seem cheap.[/QUOTE]

Looking at the picture, it looks like the tray pops out, just like the 360.

I just saw this model on facebook. I didn't know it was coming. I really have to dump my PS3s now. I still have a sealed blops bundle and a sealed 250 GB.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']What will we call this new PS3 model? PS3 Slimmer? I kind of want one, but my PS3 slim is fine for now.[/QUOTE]

anorexia 3000 or AN3

[quote name='KingBroly']Looks ugly. And the fact that the price isn't dropping...ouch. Makes me think 2 things.

A - PS4 is going to be ASS expensive like PS3
B - Sony's lost their cotton-picking minds again[/QUOTE]

Why would they drop the price for an upgraded console that's smaller and has more memory?

They probably will drop the price of the old slim PS3s, but it wouldn't make sense to drop the price for the new one.

I think it's cute, wish I had a reason to pick one up but my slim works just fine thankyaverymuch

They should have just kept the old HDD sizes in favor of a price cut. Also, according to the slides last night, the newer model is going to be more expensive than what's out there now.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']What will we call this new PS3 model? PS3 Slimmer? I kind of want one, but my PS3 slim is fine for now.[/QUOTE]

I call it the Playstation 3-Three. I was thinking about buying one if it had a rear usb port for the Playstation Eye, but I think my slim is good enough for the remainder of the generation. (Now if Square finally decides to release the next Lightning PS3 in the USA I'm going to be pissed.)

bread's done
Back