New PS3 model on the way (CECH-4001)? EDIT: Now with pics.

[quote name='edson13']Looking at the picture, it looks like the tray pops out, just like the 360.[/QUOTE]

With the power button and light built into the tray? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Edit: Oh crap, my worries were true!

bLVry.jpg

And an unboxing video: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/19/ps3-super-slim-unboxing

Last edited by a moderator:
This PS3 slimmer model is an interesting move by Sony. It is a clear indication that they are doubling-down on the current console cycle. It's going to be a year minimum before we see the next Playstation, and possibly three years minimum before it launches.

What is most distressing about this PS3 slimmer is the fact that they are raising the price. That's a bit odd. While I could understand them maintaining the current price, raising it is a bit strange. A slim model at the same price would have been decently competitive. A slim model along with a price drop would have been great for the holiday sales. But a slim model with an increased price feels half-hearted, and is going to make it harder for the PS3 to compete with the 360 and WiiU this holiday season.

The slide top doesn't particularly surprise me. That particular loading model is known for its stability. From a hardware design perspective it makes sense.

So, I'm supposed to be excited, and pay more money for a system that is no different than the current model, besides the lame ass top loading tray. Screw off Sony.

Wow, that is one ugly system.

[quote name='screwkick']So, I'm supposed to be excited, and pay more money for a system that is no different than the current model, besides the lame ass top loading tray. Screw off Sony.[/QUOTE]

I don't see the problem here... they're releasing this to take place of the slim. If they can cut manufacturing costs and help their own bottom line, of course it makes sense to do it.

[quote name='Vinny']I don't see the problem here... they're releasing this to take place of the slim. If they can cut manufacturing costs and help their own bottom line, of course it makes sense to do it.[/QUOTE]

The problem is they are charging more, while not actually adding any features. Aside from the decrease in size, there are no other advantages. The last time they did this there was a considerable price drop that went along with it. in this case they are actually including a price hike.

It is neither normal nor particularly wise to increase the base price of your system six years into its lifespan. This is especially true when it has significant competition on both sides.

[quote name='Richard Kain']The problem is they are charging more, while not actually adding any features. Aside from the decrease in size, there are no other advantages. The last time they did this there was a considerable price drop that went along with it. in this case they are actually including a price hike.

It is neither normal nor particularly wise to increase the base price of your system six years into its lifespan. This is especially true when it has significant competition on both sides.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can really call it a price increase w/o added features though, since the $30 increase includes 90 GB of more storage space (160 -> 250 gigs) and a bundled game.

I agree that I would rather see a cheaper 160 gig system, but the price increase does include more features. Just not features that make me want to buy one (I already have a 160 gig slim and UC3). If the existing stock of 160 and 320 gig slims get marked down to get cleared out, I'll be all over that though.

Get one of the old slims while you can, once they're gone you're stuck with this . . . and it doesn't look nearly as good as the previous model, IMO. I wonder about quality as well, would worry about the sliding door. There should be sales on PS3s towards Christmas, Black Friday for sure I would think; a good time to pick one up, even as a backup.

[quote name='waldo21212']I don't think you can really call it a price increase w/o added features though, since the $30 increase includes 90 GB of more storage space (160 -> 250 gigs) and a bundled game.[/QUOTE]

Anyone with the technical know-how will tell you that memory is the least important feature on the PS3. I've personally switched out hard drives on two different PS3s. It is a fairly easy and painless process. I took a PS3 that originally had only 40 Gigs, and dropped 320 in it. And I paid a LOT less than you would for a full-priced new system.

If I could pick up clearance-priced Original-Slim PS3 on Black Friday, I could pull out whatever hard drive it had and drop in as big a hard drive as I please. The biggest advantage of this new model for me is that stores will probably be more eager to ditch the previous model.

And to think I was hesitant to buy the GT5 slim bundle this summer because of the super slim! This thing looks janky as hell. I'm very happy with my decision.

[quote name='Richard Kain']The problem is they are charging more, while not actually adding any features. Aside from the decrease in size, there are no other advantages. The last time they did this there was a considerable price drop that went along with it. in this case they are actually including a price hike.

It is neither normal nor particularly wise to increase the base price of your system six years into its lifespan. This is especially true when it has significant competition on both sides.[/QUOTE]

I see, I didn't notice the price in any of the articles in the OP but found it in another article. I figured it was the same price but yeah, that's pretty stupid.

I like the idea of a non-motorized disc loading mechanism (unless I'm misunderstanding these pics). I might get rid of my two slims and get the 500 gb model. It's ugly but, whatever, I thought the previous 2 PS3s were ugly as well.

The price won't be a factor as there will be some type of deal on Black Friday. You also have to factor smaller unit will produce less heat, and the system should last longer than the previous model.

[quote name='62t']The price won't be a factor as there will be some type of deal on Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

The price will be a factor, price is always a factor. This is especially true when there are cheaper units on the shelf at the same time. Unless retail stores are able to clear out existing PS3s quickly, the super-slim PS3 is going to be competing against its predecessor, as well as the 360, the WiiU, and the Wii over Black Friday.

You also have to factor smaller unit will produce less heat, and the system should last longer than the previous model.

This is an advantage, to be sure. But this comes along with every system hardware revision. The difference here is that they are charging more, while all previous revisions charge the same. Even with the remodeling of the 360 they charged the same amount, and in that re-release they added a wireless internet adapter.

I'm not saying they the super-slim PS3 is going to be bad. I'm just pointing out that it is very odd for Sony to be charging more for it, and that this might come back to bite them this holiday season. A super-slim model at the same price might have helped to push PS3 sales. Charging more for it could curtail any momentum this redesign would have fostered.

[quote name='Richard Kain']The price will be a factor, price is always a factor. This is especially true when there are cheaper units on the shelf at the same time. Unless retail stores are able to clear out existing PS3s quickly, the super-slim PS3 is going to be competing against its predecessor, as well as the 360, the WiiU, and the Wii over Black Friday.

This is an advantage, to be sure. But this comes along with every system hardware revision. The difference here is that they are charging more, while all previous revisions charge the same. Even with the remodeling of the 360 they charged the same amount, and in that re-release they added a wireless internet adapter.

I'm not saying they the super-slim PS3 is going to be bad. I'm just pointing out that it is very odd for Sony to be charging more for it, and that this might come back to bite them this holiday season. A super-slim model at the same price might have helped to push PS3 sales. Charging more for it could curtail any momentum this redesign would have fostered.[/QUOTE]
They are not charging more. You get a $40 game and a $30 DLC voucher for $20 more in the bundle, the standalone is same price. The 500 gb is said to be free Assassin's Creed 3 at $299.99. You can't compare the slim from MS to this slim. Is MS on the verge of disappearing completely? No. So straight comparisons are invalid.

It will be interesting to see what Sony makes the price of these Super slims once these bundles get off of the store shelves and start selling the system unbundled sometime early next year.
At 199 bundled it would of brought a lot of new customers. But at 269? I think people will just buy a brand new system called the wiiU instead and roll the dice to play nintendo games.

It's funny that Sony says raising the price of the system is 70 dollars in "savings" to the consumer.

Official first look video on PS.Blog: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/25/new-ps3-model-out-today-exclusive-first-look/

C'mon now... why couldn't they at least upgrade it to Wireless N and add 1 more USB port? (So at least the official accessories could be accommodated; the official 7.1 Headset dongle, a PS Eye, and charging a Dualshock Controller)

Also its fugly and the sliding tray just makes it seem cheap in a cost cutting "plasticly" way.

Not interested unless I absolutely need a new PS3.

At least Maya brought some cuteness to the official first look.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original fat one is my favorite. Got 2 of those but I still need one more. This super slim looks too ugly with that sliding mechanism. I hope the price drops or we get some deals for the original slim. I dislike that but it's much better than the super slim.

I have an 80GB Fat. My hdd is full. If I trade it in to GS, I will get $135 towards the new slim. If I buy a new HDD, I will only pay ~$50. Any advice on how to proceed?

Too many hur dur increased price posts for the same thing. You can't compare this deal straight up with the 160gig $250. Think about it for 20 more you get, UC3 + DUST with $30 DL. 250gig HD. And don't say "I already have UC3" because if you do then you have a ps3 already plus I don't think it's marketed towards the people who already have a working PS3. For a PC gamer like myself who is seeking to purchase a PS3, this makes perfect sense.

The qeustion is, where can i buy one from retail??? I have 300 cash and I don't want to get it from Amazon since I have to pay tax now anyway. I rather not wait for the transit time and get it NAO!

[quote name='kerouac kid']I have an 80GB Fat. My hdd is full. If I trade it in to GS, I will get $135 towards the new slim. If I buy a new HDD, I will only pay ~$50. Any advice on how to proceed?[/QUOTE]

That fat will probably get the YLOD. I'd sell it and it's games on Ebay or when Gamestop does their good console promo (the one where they give $50 extra). They do it once or twice a year. Then buy a new Slim with the 500gb. That way you avoid having a paperweight, save money on electricity, and get the model that will very likely last the longest. At least, that's what I did with my 80 gb fat a year ago.

can u upgrade the harddrive

the sliding tray makes it good when u have LYOD because u can opening it when it's not working

bread's done
Back