New Super Mario/Luigi Bros Wii U Bundle $299.99 - November 1st

trock3

CAGiversary!
1379695_530033750414416_1321698105_n.jpg

Oh yes, just in time for holiday sales.

I disagree. Gamers are seeing that $300 WiiU sitting next to a $400 PS4, and anybody who follows the industry in the slightest is going to know that the PS4 is the far better value, not just in terms of power and functionality, but in 3rd party support. Nintendo cheaping out on the system's power has cost them the 3rd party support yet again, and it seems pretty damn apparent that they are unable or unwilling to fully support the console themselves. I don't think that overpriced HD ports, mountains of $60 2D Platformers, and oceans of mini game compilations (seriously, we've had 3 1st party minigame compilations in under a year from Nintendo, with WiiU Fit and more Wii Sports hot on their heels :shock: ) are going to change anybody's mind. They need to jack that price down to $200 at a minimum, MAYBE $250 for something like the NSMBU bundle.
Nintendo's software is still some of the best in the industry, and $300 for a console bundled with two games is an astonishing deal this holiday season.

But I was more making reference to Nintendo's business decisions in regard to profit on my previous post. If Nintendo sells only 50,000 consoles and makes a profit on each one, but Sony sells 500,000 consoles and loses money on each one, who's making more money here?

So much hate for the Wii U. I was originally getting a PS4, then I looked at the upcoming release schedule. Nearly every upcoming title for it is also coming out for PC (PC is my platform of choice).

Getting a Wii U was a no brainer, exclusives considered.

Everybody has their own reasons, there is no need to bash somebody for liking something different!

So much hate for the Wii U. I was originally getting a PS4, then I looked at the upcoming release schedule. Nearly every upcoming title for it is also coming out for PC (PC is my platform of choice).

Getting a Wii U was a no brainer, exclusives considered.

Everybody has their own reasons, there is no need to bash somebody for liking something different!
The problem is that people are way too hung up on specs now a days. Everything you hear about next gen is how Sony's 8 gb of ram will allow characters to fart in 1080P 60FPS, which makes it beyond amazing. However, the Wii U is an okay system, but it suffers from a few catch 22's.

The biggest and most apparent is the classic chicken or egg question. Does the Wii U lack good games because no one is buying it or is no one buying it because publishers don't care about it and release very few games.

As it stands, it really feels like a lot of publishers want to find excuses not to develop for the Wii U. While I can list a lot of examples, my favorite is the latest one, Deus EX.

PC? $19.99 (or I guess $5 via upgrade)

Xbox / PS3? $29.99

Wii U? $49.99

Gee, I wonder how many people are going to rush out for the Wii U version of that.

I agree, we're right on the cusp of the next generation consoles, and the Wii U is a very bare-bones system, falling short in almost every area. The only thing "different" about it is the gamepad, but its not a very appealing controller at all (bulky, poor battery life, distracting). Nintendo just seems to have lost touch with what the majority of gamers want; they need to fire Iwata and the rest of their upper management, scrap the Wii U, and come up with a solid new console to compete. Of course that probably won't happen, so they'll just continue to flop around like they have for the last few years.
Nintendo turned the 3DS around with a price cut and steady stream of solid 1st and 3rd party game releases. I think they can do it again with the Wii U. They haven't lost touch with gamers. They are doing what they have been doing for more than a decade: Looking at what other gaming companies are doing, deciding not to compete directly against them, and developing hardware and software that fits into a different space. Iwata talks about their design process again and again. This is a common theme.

I have always been a huge Nintendo fan but I don't see any value in the Wii U. I've applauded Nintendo in the past for being different which is good but not when you do it in your own bubble. The simple fact that they have yet to create a single account to which I can purchase games and re-download them even if I sell off my console and re-buy is insane. I won't re-buy the original Zelda or Super Mario Bros. ever again for any amount of money.

The gamecube had the fastest load times of the consoles that gen (largely why I loved it) and then the Wii U comes out and everything is dog ass slow? We all know the PS3 xmb and the XBOX dash have had their problems but how does Nintendo just ignore all of that and make a totally shitty menu system?

The games. I'll admit I've never been a huge fan of some of their bigger games like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, or Pikmin but it just seems to me (not all but) for the most part they just get some small updates and end up as the same thing. I feel like Zelda although great needs some new imagination. Where the fuck is a great new Starfox game or even a killer Metroid game. I was probably 1 out of a million that thoroughly enjoyed Metroid: Other M but where the hell is a new 2.5D game for the 3DS?

Nintendo should stop trying to recreate the Wii success with NIntendo Land, Wii Fit U, and Nintendo Party and all that crap. Dear Nintendo, that shipped has fucking sailed. Get over it. It's not coming back.

Nintendo never has games for their systems at launch. If I have to hear Iwata say "please understand" or some such shit one more time I swear I'll explode. I agree Nintendo needs an upper management cleaning. They are so set in their ways it's almost insane at this point.

What the hell is the point of the controller screen if you aren't making amazing software to support it. It has it's uses but there isn't one truly killer app for it. Was it just for Nintendo Land and Zombi U?

The way I currently see it there is one software team that is truly knocking it out of the park every single time. Mario Galaxy and 3D land were incredible. 3D world looks from trailers more creative than the rest of Nintendo at this point. That's their "A" game and they need a heck of a lot more of it.

If I ever buy a Wii U (yeah I'm a glutten for punishment) it will be at the end of the gen at the bargain basement price when there are at least 5-10 games that even warrant the purchase. So disappointed in Nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that people are way too hung up on specs now a days. Everything you hear about next gen is how Sony's 8 gb of ram will allow characters to fart in 1080P 60FPS, which makes it beyond amazing. However, the Wii U is an okay system, but it suffers from a few catch 22's.

The biggest and most apparent is the classic chicken or egg question. Does the Wii U lack good games because no one is buying it or is no one buying it because publishers don't care about it and release very few games.

As it stands, it really feels like a lot of publishers want to find excuses not to develop for the Wii U. While I can list a lot of examples, my favorite is the latest one, Deus EX.

PC? $19.99 (or I guess $5 via upgrade)
Xbox / PS3? $29.99
Wii U? $49.99

Gee, I wonder how many people are going to rush out for the Wii U version of that.
I think the biggest litmus test was the Wii.

That thing was on top of the world for a few years. Outselling every other console on the market combined and then some.

But third party support ranged from mediocre to garbage.

If third parties didn't want to support the best-selling console of the generation, why would they bother now?

The gamecube had the fastest load times of the consoles that gen (largely why I loved it) and then the Wii U comes out and everything is dog ass slow? We all know the PS3 xmb and the XBOX dash have had their problems but how does Nintendo just ignore all of that and make a totally shitty menu system?
This complaint is no longer valid.

The Spring update fixed the slow OS, and the Summer update optimized it a bit more on top of that.

Nintendo never has games for their systems at launch. If I have to hear Iwata say "please understand" or some such shit one more time I swear I'll explode. I agree Nintendo needs an upper management cleaning. They are so set in their ways it's almost insane at this point.
As opposed to what? The upcoming PS4 and Xbox One? Their launch lineup is pretty uninspiring as well.

Nintendo's software is still some of the best in the industry, and $300 for a console bundled with two games is an astonishing deal this holiday season.

But I was more making reference to Nintendo's business decisions in regard to profit on my previous post. If Nintendo sells only 50,000 consoles and makes a profit on each one, but Sony sells 500,000 consoles and loses money on each one, who's making more money here?
Well you've definitely got a point there, but you have to remember the more consoles they move, the more software they move. Sony makes it's money back on software sales, something Nintendo didn't do with Wii and are failing to do with WiiU.

There is a LOT of ways you can debate this, but in terms of cost / value... Super Luigi U is a solid game. I think a LOT of people forget that this upgrade was $20 dollars, which also had a $30 dollar retail release. With that being said, there are other tweaks that went into Super Luigi U that makes it a different game.

Luigi jumps higher (allowing for harder jumps), slides further (making it easier to screw yourself on the slide), levels have to be finished in 100 seconds, a new character was added for P2 that can't die and every level was "edited" in some way. While none of these things are exactly big, a lot of DLC isn't much better.

CoD Map Pack $15 dollars.

BF Map Pack around $15 dollars.

PS All-Stars costume pack $20 dollars.

Average fighting game character $5+ dollars each.

etc.

The only DLC I've encountered that beats Super Luigi U without a debate of value and cost is Spelunker HD, so I don't think it's really problematic. That is, if you don't expect Super Luigi U to be 3x better than it was ever intended to be.
There's been plenty of DLC that I feel greatly overshadows what Nintendo has put out for NSMBU, the best known example being Undead Nightmare. And to be completely honest, I'd argue that all of your examples of "poor DLC", even the rehashed map packs, are still better than NSLU in that I'd get more playtime and use out of a $5 fighter or maps (or maybe even skins, though $20 is a massive ripoff) than I would going through a platformer once or twice. I think that at $10 digital/$20 retail NSLU would be a fine example of DLC, but $20 digital is pretty overpriced in comparison to all the other DLC out there. Especially when, again, they weren't designing whole new worlds, weapons, or enemies, they were simply tweaking pre-existing levels in an editor and changing a bit of code for Luigi and that purple Nabbit thing.

This complaint is no longer valid.

The Spring update fixed the slow OS, and the Summer update optimized it a bit more on top of that.
The complaint isn't just about speed. It's about dumb as shit like needing to load into the Wii menu to play Wii games and ignoring the advances in menus since the 360 and PS3 did it better.

As opposed to what? The upcoming PS4 and Xbox One? Their launch lineup is pretty uninspiring as well.
Gamers seems to have extraordinarily poor long-term memory in regards to console launches.

Launch will generally bring you one or two extraordinary titles followed up 9 months of absolutely nothing.

Does nobody remember the jokes in regards to people using the PS2 as a DVD player for a year after they lost interest in Madden 2001?

The complaint isn't just about speed. It's about dumb as shit like needing to load into the Wii menu to play Wii games and ignoring the advances in menus since the 360 and PS3 did it better.
Loading into the Wii Menu gives you 100% compatibility will all Wii software, which is more than the Xbox 360 or PS3 can claim.

And of course the PS4 and Xbox One aren't even bothering with backwards compatibility.

Well there is Resogun, Flower, Escape Plan, and Contrast which I'll be getting for free. Yeah and hardly anything else to play...hmmmm....

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag [3]
Battlefield 4 [4]
Blacklight: Retribution [5]
Call of Duty: Ghosts*
Contrast [6]
DC Universe Online*
DiveKick [7]
Escape Plan (Cross-Buy) [8]
FIFA 14*
flOw (Cross-Buy) [9]
Flower (Cross-Buy) [10]
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition [11]
Just Dance 2014 [12]
Killzone Shadow Fall [13]
Knack [14]
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes*
Madden NFL 25*
Minecraft [15]
NBA 2K14*
NBA Live 14*
Need for Speed: Rivals*
Pinball Arcade [16]
PlayRoom [17]
Putty Squad [18]
Resogun [19]
Skylanders Swap Force*
Sound Shapes (Cross-Buy) [20]
Super Motherload [21]
Switch Galaxy Ultra
Tiny Brains [22]
Warframe [23]
War Thunder [24]

LAUNCH WINDOW

1001 Spikes [25]
Basement Crawl
CounterSpy
Daylight
Deep Down
Doki-Doki Universe
DriveClub
Hohokum
inFamous Second Son
Mercenary Kings
N++
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
PlanetSide 2
Pool Nation Extreme
Primal Carnage: Genesis
Ray's the Dead
The Witness
Thief
Transistor
Wolfenstein: The New Order

Any advances in menu navigation that the 360 had made, is completely gone now. Every successive update has bogged down the system more and more. Before I sold my 360 a few weeks ago, it took me 45 seconds from hitting power button to see the dashboard. I'm not even exaggerating. That's on top of having to deal with AXE, Old Spice and Jack Links ads on every godamn page.

I'm really enjoying navigation on the gamepad with my new Wii U.

Is there anything that the PS4 or XBone are doing right game-wise?  A few OK games, a promise that multiplatform games like Shantae are coming...and...that's it while they go through a long period of nothing right afterwards just like the Wii U?

I could only wish a game as good as Brawl would eventually exist for either console, but being honest, that won't happen.  I'd paid $100 right now for the next Smash Bros. game.  I wouldn't pay $20 for any of the PS4/XBone release games.

I guess the Wii U isn't doing so bad...(of course, this is only my opinion and I can say I'm not happy with the game libraries coming up).

Well there is Resogun, Flower, Escape Plan, and Contrast which I'll be getting for free. Yeah and hardly anything else to play...hmmmm....

Copy/Pasted List
Can we get the same list without the digital-only & indie titles please?

What we need to realize is that Nintendo caters to a different segment of the buying environment.

The Wii sold so well because of it's easy accessibility to most everyone and the price.  It's the only console I've purchased in the launch window at retail.  (Note: I acquired an Xbox 360 the February after it released from a friend who wanted $ for paintball stuff instead so that doesn't quite quality as at retail....it had less than 10 hrs playtime on it and was a launch console.)

I'm still on the fence with Wii U because of the price of entry.  To me it's not worth paying $300 because there isn't anything on the console yet I can't live without.  Now once Smash Bros comes out...yeah I'm buying in.  I know I'm buying it to play first-party games which is fine because I'm not expecting fantastic 3rd party support.  The majority of the games I own for the Wii are first party games as well.

But why should Nintendo make a super expensive console that's on par with Xbox One and PS4 in terms of specs when their consumer market doesn't ask that of them?  I hate to say they cater to the lowest common denominator....but it's the truth.

Gamers seems to have extraordinarily poor long-term memory in regards to console launches.
Launch will generally bring you one or two extraordinary titles followed up 9 months of absolutely nothing.
Does nobody remember the jokes in regards to people using the PS2 as a DVD player for a year after they lost interest in Madden 2001?

Loading into the Wii Menu gives you 100% compatibility will all Wii software, which is more than the Xbox 360 or PS3 can claim.
And of course the PS4 and Xbox One aren't even bothering with backwards compatibility.
The Wii U is no longer in it's launch window. Even with their future game announcements there isn't much on the horizon to be excitied about.

Although the PS4 doesn't have definite plans yet it already has been noted that they are looking into BC via Gaikai. There are also other games like Flow, Escape Plan, Flower etc. that are already being brought to the PS4 without an additional cost, some with upgrades.

Any advances in menu navigation that the 360 had made, is completely gone now. Every successive update has bogged down the system more and more. Before I sold my 360 a few weeks ago, it took me 45 seconds from hitting power button to see the dashboard. I'm not even exaggerating. That's on top of having to deal with AXE, Old Spice and Jack Links ads on every godamn page.

I'm really enjoying navigation on the gamepad with my new Wii U.
I agree the xbox dash looks like a Sunday flyer. I kind of hate it too but Nintendo could have used at least the advancements from it and learned from the mistakes. Not just slap together something that didn't fly right out of the gate. Shame on them. Personally at this point I like the XMB the most currently. Not that it doesn't have faults either. I just wish Nintendo would have learned from other's mistakes.

Can we get the same list without the digital-only & indie titles please?
You can parse the disc based titles out if you like but I don't see the point, indies and digital-only titles are some of the best stuff gaming has to offer these days. Why would we remove that they exist and will be available for the console at launch? Oh wait I forgot Nintendo had Balloon Fight.

The Wii U is no longer in it's launch window. Even with their future game announcements there isn't much on the horizon to be excitied about.

Although the PS4 doesn't have definite plans yet it already has been noted that they are looking into BC via Gaikai. There are also other games like Flow, Escape Plan, Flower etc. that are already being brought to the PS4 without an additional cost, some with upgrades.
Backwards compatibility with Gaikai is announced to come sometime in 2014, could be January and it could be December. It's also a pretty crappy method of BC. What happens to the people who have a slow connection or horrible bandwidth caps? Looking at you, Canada.

Is there anything that the PS4 or XBone are doing right game-wise? A few OK games, a promise that multiplatform games like Shantae are coming...and...that's it while they go through a long period of nothing right afterwards just like the Wii U?

I could only wish a game as good as Brawl would eventually exist for either console, but being honest, that won't happen. I'd paid $100 right now for the next Smash Bros. game. I wouldn't pay $20 for any of the PS4/XBone release games.

I guess the Wii U isn't doing so bad...(of course, this is only my opinion and I can say I'm not happy with the game libraries coming up).
I don't know about the XBone but I am going with a PS4 because if you follow the PSN releases there has been an insane amount of games of all sorts releasing. A steady stream that I don't think will be slowing come PS4 launch. Granted not everything will be triple AAA but I'll gladly take a game like Contrast and play it for free then be stuck with nothing at all.

Nintendo doesn't really announce games far into the future, however. With a few exceptions, we generally get at most a 6-month announcement window for titles.

For example, we didn't know that Wii Sports Club even existed until it was announced in late September. It's launching next month.

So of course you can say "there isn't much on the horizon to be excited about", but that's only because Nintendo doesn't tell us what they're working on until it's ready to be shown.

You can parse the disc based titles out if you like but I don't see the point, indies and digital-only titles are some of the best stuff gaming has to offer these days. Why would we remove that they exist and will be available for the console at launch? Oh wait I forgot Nintendo had Balloon Fight.
Nintendo has actually secured quite a few digital-only titles and indie software for release on the eShop, in addition to the Virtual Console.

Backwards compatibility with Gaikai is announced to come sometime in 2014, could be January and it could be December. It's also a pretty crappy method of BC. What happens to the people who have a slow connection or horrible bandwidth caps? Looking at you, Canada.
I agree it's unproven and honestly who knows if it will work but to say that Sony isn't bothering with BC is not true. All I was pointing out.

Agreed. This and the fact that PS+ are now mandatory for online gaming are why I haven't pre-orderd a PS4 and will not get one for some time. Nintendo has screwed up A LOT lately but at least I can still play my Wii games and not be charged for online gaming (even if only a few 3rd party titles go online and are all dead). Not allowing BC with PS3 but bringing in this Gaikai crap (that'll no doubt ask us to rebuy all the games sitting on our shelves now) really pissed me off.

Nintendo doesn't really announce games far into the future, however. With a few exceptions, we generally get at most a 6-month announcement window for titles.

For example, we didn't know that Wii Sports Club even existed until it was announced in late September. It's launching next month.

So of course you can say "there isn't much on the horizon to be excited about", but that's only because Nintendo doesn't tell us what they're working on until it's ready to be shown.

Nintendo has actually secured quite a few digital-only titles and indie software for release on the eShop, in addition to the Virtual Console.
I know how Nintendo operates, like I said I'm a long time Nintendo fan. It's more or less for me what they have already announced I'm not at all excited for. I want them to prove me wrong but so far I'm not hopeful. As for the digital only titles and eshop they can go fuck themselves because they won't offer a unified account like everyone else. It's 2013 get on the ball Nintendo. Honestly though with out all the hate, the VC is cool but I've played most of the classics or have them on my Wii. As for the digital only and indie software they need to PROMOTE the software on it better then they have. I would assume most average Joes don't even know those games exist.

Agreed. This and the fact that PS+ are now mandatory for online gaming are why I haven't pre-orderd a PS4 and will not get one for some time. Nintendo has screwed up A LOT lately but at least I can still play my Wii games and not be charged for online gaming (even if only a few 3rd party titles go online and are all dead). Not allowing BC with PS3 but bringing in this Gaikai crap (that'll no doubt ask us to rebuy all the games sitting on our shelves now) really pissed me off.
Yeah it stinks to have to pay for online gaming but let's not forget you can regularly get PS + for $40 if you wait for a deal. Heck over black friday, gamestop will have the sub for $30. Not to mention personally I have kept a list of all the games I have available to me for being a member for about a year and a half. Between the PS3 and Vita I have 91 games to play. It's hard to say their isn't some value there. It's a lot more than Microsoft or Nintendo has done dollar for dollar wise.

a nintendo flame war and right in the middle is maximumzero... again. smh

...except that he's calmly backing up his points with actual IRL experience and facts, which is the exact opposite of fanning a flame war.

a nintendo flame war and right in the middle is maximumzero... again. smh
This isn't a flame war at all. In fact, I am extremely impressed that this back and forth has been handled so well by all the parties involved.

If you already own the PSN version of those games.

I don't know why you are so adamantly defending a console that isn't out and blasting a system you've admittedly never owned, but at least be honest about it. I also don't understand the listing of the PS4 launch lineup; the Wii U had 23 launch titles and just like the next-gen systems, a whole bunch of them were ports.

I don't understand where all the hostility is coming from in this thread. Some people are like "cool, new bundle, i'm interested in a Wii U and that's a nice deal!" and then people have to come in and tell us all that it's a piece of shit?

I don't know why you are so adamantly defending a console that isn't out and blasting a system you've admittedly never owned, but at least be honest about it. I also don't understand the listing of the PS4 launch lineup; the Wii U had 23 launch titles and just like the next-gen systems, a whole bunch of them were ports.

I don't understand where all the hostility is coming from in this thread. Some people are like "cool, new bundle, i'm interested in a Wii U and that's a nice deal!" and then people have to come in and tell us all that it's a piece of shit?
A lot of people like to hate on the Wii U and even more like to praise Sony for the ultimate spec powahs. So... comments like these happen.

I don't know about the XBone but I am going with a PS4 because if you follow the PSN releases there has been an insane amount of games of all sorts releasing. A steady stream that I don't think will be slowing come PS4 launch. Granted not everything will be triple AAA but I'll gladly take a game like Contrast and play it for free then be stuck with nothing at all.
I think that's fair enough. I know most of them will be for other platforms too, but at least it IS a steady stream.

classic maximumzero i suppose
I just feel that more "Gamers" should just come out and say "I don't care for Nintendo's products."

And that's fine. I have no problem with that. You're welcome to your opinion.

Instead, folks that don't care for Nintendo's products just pop up and go "Nintendo is fucking shit. Garbage games, garbage hardware. You'd have to be some kind of moron to want to own any of their products.", and that I feel like that's a bit extreme, and just vitriolic. That sort of attitude doesn't solve anything.

Now of course there are there folks "in between" that like Nintendo's output but wish for them to be better. That's fine too, I respect that, and I'll agree with you on many things, but it seems like way, way more users all over the internet fall into the former group than the latter. Because of this, I'll often find myself coming to the defense of Nintendo's products because much of what I see posted is either misguided, subjective, and sometimes just outright wrong.

Now, I'll be the first to tell you that I prefer Nintendo's approach to gaming over Sony's and Microsoft's view of what videogames should be, but that doesn't mean I automatically dislike them. Sony and Microsoft both make some great products, and if I had more free time and disposable income I'd likely own every console that's available, including even the odder stuff like the Ouya.

Just let me enjoy what I like to enjoy without telling me that my opinion is somehow wrong or misguided, and I'll allow you to do the same.

touché!

Yes if you already own those games but some of which I got heavily discounted already with Plus and it is a form of BC. Plus I've yet to actually play Flower and now I get it in 60FPS and in 1080p a nice upgrade. It would be nice if NIntendo would do something similar.

I agree it's a bit douchee to come in here and rant on a deal but I guess I'm just really disappointed with Nintendo. I just feel like there is no way in hell I'd pay $300 for the console. I'm almost baffled to as how they lost me so quickly.

I don't mean to deter anyone from it, and I'm sure plenty of people are getting enjoyment out of it.

A lot of people like to hate on the Wii U and even more like to praise Sony for the ultimate spec powahs. So... comments like these happen.
Sadly you're right. I own a 360 but refuse to buy an Xbox One mainly because I don't see the value in any next gen system. People need to realize that people have different needs from a console. For me, I want a system that plays games I can play with my kids and also games I don't have to invest a lot of time in. Also, when I bought GTA V, I realized it wasn't a good idea to have games like that being played around my 4 year old son who has a tendency to wake up and sneak upstairs at night while I am playing. So I purchased a Wii U. Not because it is a powerhouse and not because it can play Titanfall, but because it was the best fit for me and my family... besides that, I love the fact that since everyone has ignored the system that game prices have plummeted and I can buy some decent games for dirt cheap. Sure, it's not the powerhouse sony and microsoft are, and if all you are interested in is better graphics, online play, and having access to tons of AAA titles, then this is clearly not the system for you and anybody that defends that is an idiot. Enjoy your systems and have fun. For me, I have a lot of fond memories growing up in the late 80s on these types of games and I enjoy the look my son has while he is playing the same type of games I was when I was a kid. There will be time for him to get another console, but for now, this is the system for us. Sheesh people... live and let live.

Not to keep harping but since I've already written a lot in here. I'd also like to see Nintendo do Cross-Buy. If I buy the original Zelda on my Wii U why can't I get it on the 3DS as well? It's the little things like that, the added value that NIntendo hasn't done. It's annoying. I guess it goes back to the unified account thing though as well.

Not to keep harping but since I've already written a lot in here. I'd also like to see Nintendo do Cross-Buy. If I buy the original Zelda on my Wii U why can't I get it on the 3DS as well? It's the little things like that, the added value that NIntendo hasn't done. It's annoying. I guess it goes back to the unified account thing though as well.
This and cross-buy is something that companies have to opt for. A lot of people forget that most cross buy titles are indies and there are a sizable number of games that don't support the feature or don't support it in all ways (like SF X Tekken has CB DLC, but not games). Also, thanks to Tyler pointing it out to me, some regions have different rules. For instance, Jak and Daxter collection is a digital CB in Europe, but not in the US.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag [3]
Battlefield 4 [4]
Blacklight: Retribution [5]
Call of Duty: Ghosts*
Contrast [6]
DC Universe Online*
DiveKick [7]
Escape Plan (Cross-Buy) [8]
FIFA 14*
flOw (Cross-Buy) [9]
Flower (Cross-Buy) [10]
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition [11]
Just Dance 2014 [12]
Killzone Shadow Fall [13]
Knack [14]
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes*
Madden NFL 25*
Minecraft [15]
NBA 2K14*
NBA Live 14*
Need for Speed: Rivals*
Pinball Arcade [16]
PlayRoom [17]
Putty Squad [18]
Resogun [19]
Skylanders Swap Force*
Sound Shapes (Cross-Buy) [20]
Super Motherload [21]
Switch Galaxy Ultra
Tiny Brains [22]
Warframe [23]
War Thunder [24]

LAUNCH WINDOW

1001 Spikes [25]
Basement Crawl
CounterSpy
Daylight
Deep Down
Doki-Doki Universe
DriveClub
Hohokum
inFamous Second Son
Mercenary Kings
N++
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
PlanetSide 2
Pool Nation Extreme
Primal Carnage: Genesis
Ray's the Dead
The Witness
Thief
Transistor
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Take out everything that's already available on PC and you're not left with much ( I think Drive Club is now outside the launch window as well. I'm looking forward to that one). I'll probably pick up a PS4 after the console has been around for a year or so. PS + is a solid service even if it's required this time around for multiplayer. Sony and MS will likely both have compelling reasons to own their consoles by 2015. The Wii U has plenty of compelling reasons to own it right now IMO. This bundle for $299 seems like a good price to me. If the deal is sweetened by Black Friday, it only gets better.

If you love games, you're currently spoiled for choice. It's fun to debate the merits of various platforms, but if you earn a living wage, it isn't much of a burden to buy all the consoles that interest you - especially a year or two after they are released. The Wii U seemed like a great value to me right now, so I bought it.

I think there is currently a solid enough library to interest most gamers that aren't focused on specific hardware considerations. And there is more coming soon...

This and cross-buy is something that companies have to opt for. A lot of people forget that most cross buy titles are indies and there are a sizable number of games that don't support the feature or don't support it in all ways (like SF X Tekken has CB DLC, but not games). Also, thanks to Tyler pointing it out to me, some regions have different rules. For instance, Jak and Daxter collection is a digital CB in Europe, but not in the US.
Yeah true but Sony has added it to some of their own games which is nice. I mean even if Nintendo did it just for NES games or something like that it would be helpful. I mean how many times do people have to re-buy Super Mario Bros. lol. I know Nintendo feels they could make more money by re-selling it but sometimes it's about consumer happiness as well. Keep em coming back ya know?

Take out everything that's already available on PC and you're not left with much. I'll probably pick up a PS4 after the console has been around for a year or so. PS + is a solid service even if it's required this time around for multiplayer. Sony and MS will likely both have compelling reasons to own their consoles by 2015. The Wii U has plenty of compelling reasons to own it right now IMO. This bundle for $299 seems like a good price to me. If the deal is sweetened by Black Friday, it only gets better.

If you love games, you're currently spoiled for choice. It's fun to debate the merits of various platforms, but if you have earn a living wage, it isn't much of a burden to buy all the consoles that interest you - especially a year or two after they are released. The Wii U seemed like a great value to me right now, so I bought it.

I think there is currently a solid enough library to interest most gamers that aren't focused on specific hardware considerations. And there is more coming soon...
Ahhh the good old PC. I agree with you on that front BUT...this is Sony's first round into courting indies. Why do you think they are going to all the trouble? The next time around they want it on Playstation at the same time it launches on PC. Look at Transistor...it's the start of that.

As for the Wii U I know enough doesn't interest me currently, I'm hoping that changes. We shall see.

Yeah true but Sony has added it to some of their own games which is nice. I mean even if Nintendo did it just for NES games or something like that it would be helpful. I mean how many times do people have to re-buy Super Mario Bros. lol. I know Nintendo feels they could make more money by re-selling it but sometimes it's about consumer happiness as well. Keep em coming back ya know?
I fully agree. I think one of the worst policies is the Wii U update cost. Even if it is only like a dollar, it really should be free. However, Nintendo seems to have no clue what the consumer wants and even worse at making them happy. Club Nintendo is the clearest indication of this.

People want more things? Nintendo offers virtually nothing new past games, which have been cycling like crazy. (at least offer more NEW games, I would love Kirby 3D)

People want better promotions? Nintendo offers raffles for so so prizes. Kirby had circular cards, Luigi U had a pin, Kid Icarus had a full card collection. They also did okay with the 3DS XL promotion, but excluding previous buyers of the system excluded a LOT of people and the most recent one was awesome (!), but being limited to two games was lame. So far the best is Skyward Sword (I think) and LoZ, though Nintendo opted out of Wind Waker (which Japan got).

People want awesome platinum rewards? While the rewards themselves aren't cheap and I do respect getting anything, they've certainly gone down hill. Hat to figure to buttons to playing cards to an OST is a far drop...

People want more value for their coins? Nintendo has been inflating the price of items in the US. The mushroom tote bag was 250 coins when the program launched and now the Pikmin tote (same dimensions) costs 400 coins. Their most recent announcement, the cradles, sounds absurd for 500 coins. They will sell and probably have resale value, but still 500 coins for a simple cradle is just beyond over priced.

Ahhh the good old PC. I agree with you on that front BUT...this is Sony's first round into courting indies. Why do you think they are going to all the trouble? The next time around they want it on Playstation at the same time it launches on PC. Look at Transistor...it's the start of that.

As for the Wii U I know enough doesn't interest me currently, I'm hoping that changes. We shall see.
I'm one of those indies that they are courting and I have been very impressed with their efforts over the last year. Sony learned some good lessons in the last 5 years and they are applying them in a transparent manner. I think they'll do better in the early part of this console generation than they did in the beginning of the PS3.

They should have the basic 8GB white console bundled with these 2 games for $199. I'd would think about buying if they do because that's all it's really worth. Will only play some first party games and Bayonetta 2 so 8GB is more than enough. I don't plan on buying anything digital in the Nintendo camp because all purchases are tied to the console, not account, which is really stupid.

They should have the basic 8GB white console bundled with these 2 games for $199. I'd would think about buying if they do because that's all it's really worth. Will only play some first party games and Bayonetta 2 so 8GB is more than enough. I don't plan on buying anything digital in the Nintendo camp because all purchases are tied to the console, not account, which is really stupid.
Yes it is. I keep holding my breath for the fabled update that will turn your "Nintendo ID" into a true unified account.

I fully agree. I think one of the worst policies is the Wii U update cost. Even if it is only like a dollar, it really should be free. However, Nintendo seems to have no clue what the consumer wants and even worse at making them happy. Club Nintendo is the clearest indication of this.
Ultimately, many of my problems with Nintendo boil down to cost. I do get tired of this attitude where "Nintendo is better than every other dev because they are Nintendo", and that is used as a defense when they pull crap like $5 NES titles, $50 HDified ports, or refuse to even knock $10 off the MSRP of a game years after release. Just recently, my PS3 collection has outgrown my Wii collection even though I've had my PS3 for far less time, and a very large part of that is because very few devs are too stubborn to lower the prices of their games to keep them on the shelves. Meanwhile, Nintendo would rather yank a game off the shelf than lower the MSRP with only very few exceptions (I'm STILL waiting on a "greatest hits" series for DS to pick up some of those 1st party hits I missed like Tetris DS, the 1st 2 Kirby games, and several of the Mario RPGs :cry: ). Even these game droughts wouldn't be such an issue if I could pick up games I missed on Wii like Fire Emblem for cheap, but no, the very few Player's Choice games they released were games almost everyone already had, and other games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 seem to have actually gone UP in price rather than lower. And cheap tactics like charging us an update fee on a per game basis for what should've been a couple of quick tweaks to an emulator don't help things.

Even worse is when I see the weekly eshop updates filled with "new" VC games on the 3DS that I've owned for years on the Wii, asking us to pay for cross play when it's become an industry standard pisses me off. If Apple, Sony, Steam, or anybody else asked you to pay to access your content on every new device that support it, it would never fly, so why is it ok for Nintendo?

On the other hand, Sony's lack of BC for PS4 is half the reason I won't have one at launch, that's a dangerous precedent that at least, to Nintendo's credit, they haven't fully embraced yet. I guess digital purchases just aren't worth a shit anywhere anymore.

Last edited:
Yes it is. I keep holding my breath for the fabled update that will turn your "Nintendo ID" into a true unified account.
Don't hold your breath. They finally ditched the stupid friend code when the Wii U came aboard less than a year ago, many years after they started their online network. Microsoft and Sony only got everything right from the get-go. That's the year 2002 for Microsoft. It's 2013 now and Nintendo still doesn't know what they are doing with their online network.

Yes, the games are actually completely different.

New Super Luigi U is basically a giant level pack/expansion pack for New Super Mario Bros U. It uses the same graphics and world map, but every stage is completely different.
It can't be completely different and then just an expansion pack. :lol:

I think I'll wait until Mario Kart bundle comes along.

bread's done
Back