New Super Mario/Luigi Bros Wii U Bundle $299.99 - November 1st

trock3

CAGiversary!
1379695_530033750414416_1321698105_n.jpg

Oh yes, just in time for holiday sales.

Don't hold your breath. They finally ditched the stupid friend code when the Wii U came aboard less than a year ago, many years after they started their online network. Microsoft and Sony only got everything right from the get-go. That's the year 2002 for Microsoft. It's 2013 now and Nintendo still doesn't know what they are doing with their online network.
At least they recently publicly acknowledged that it is an issue. That's progress: link

I fully agree. I think one of the worst policies is the Wii U update cost. Even if it is only like a dollar, it really should be free. However, Nintendo seems to have no clue what the consumer wants and even worse at making them happy. Club Nintendo is the clearest indication of this.

People want more things? Nintendo offers virtually nothing new past games, which have been cycling like crazy. (at least offer more NEW games, I would love Kirby 3D)

People want better promotions? Nintendo offers raffles for so so prizes. Kirby had circular cards, Luigi U had a pin, Kid Icarus had a full card collection. They also did okay with the 3DS XL promotion, but excluding previous buyers of the system excluded a LOT of people and the most recent one was awesome (!), but being limited to two games was lame. So far the best is Skyward Sword (I think) and LoZ, though Nintendo opted out of Wind Waker (which Japan got).

People want awesome platinum rewards? While the rewards themselves aren't cheap and I do respect getting anything, they've certainly gone down hill. Hat to figure to buttons to playing cards to an OST is a far drop...

People want more value for their coins? Nintendo has been inflating the price of items in the US. The mushroom tote bag was 250 coins when the program launched and now the Pikmin tote (same dimensions) costs 400 coins. Their most recent announcement, the cradles, sounds absurd for 500 coins. They will sell and probably have resale value, but still 500 coins for a simple cradle is just beyond over priced.
Shit! I paid the $25 for the XL cradle through their store. I would have rather dumped the 500 coins, even though I don't have that much currently.

At least they recently publicly acknowledged that it is an issue. That's progress: link
Not exactly, same article:

We don't have anything new to announce, unfortunately, other than we've definitely heard that feedback many times from both inside and outside the company. It's definitely something that we're very much aware of. All development for the infrastructure really happens out of Japan, so we've kind of communicated this need in the market, and they're very much aware of it and working towards really just always improving the eShop.

It's the development and infrastructure out of Japan thing. In my opinion it's the top brass in Japan that is holding the company back from the changes that are needed at this point. I like how the article put it:

With the continuing absence of Wii U to Wii U transfers, the idea of switching models is unpalatable for those that have downloaded any content; that's a scenario that, to be blunt, is unacceptable in 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shit! I paid the $25 for the XL cradle through their store. I would have rather dumped the 500 coins, even though I don't have that much currently.
I've found it's not even worth the effort to redeem Club Nintendo Coins anymore. My time's not worthless, and I have better things to do than spend 30 minutes doing surveys in exchange for a stupid notebook, cloth, or shoelaces similar to what I can get at the local dollar store. The platinum prizes would've been fine for regular prizes like 600 coins each or so, but posters, a re-released sound track, pins, and playing cards seem insulting as a platinum reward, like they couldn't be bothered to give us anything cool. And I can't stand how they make you choose; "You (theoretically) invested $600 into our products this year, AND supplied us with tons of free data for our marketing department, so we can give you a CD OR posters, a set of cards OR posters, but not both". It's not like these are expensive prizes Nintendo, you're largest expense on these is likely shipping, why not just give both out?

Of course, the few times they DO offer great rewards (like that awesome gold nunchuck) they sell out instantly. This is more of a NoA problem than a Nintendo problem in general, but it still hurts.

I've gotten far, far more value out of trading Club Nintendo coins online, including this site. I know I'll take Steam keys, coupons, indie bundles, ect. over fucking shoelaces any day of the week.

Last edited:
Not exactly, same article:

We don't have anything new to announce, unfortunately, other than we've definitely heard that feedback many times from both inside and outside the company. It's definitely something that we're very much aware of. All development for the infrastructure really happens out of Japan, so we've kind of communicated this need in the market, and they're very much aware of it and working towards really just always improving the eShop.

It's the development and infrastructure out of Japan thing. In my opinion it's the top brass in Japan that is holding the company back from the changes that are needed at this point. I like how the article put it:

With the continuing absence of Wii U to Wii U transfers, the idea of switching models is unpalatable for those that have downloaded any content; that's a scenario that, to be blunt, is unacceptable in 2013.
yeah and like I said, this interview is the first time they publicly acknowledged the issue. Even if a unified account system never happens (which it certainly will), acknowledging that it is an issue is progress compared to sticking their heads in the sand and ignoring their customers.... so.... progress.

yeah and like I said, this interview is the first time they publicly acknowledged the issue. Even if a unified account system never happens (which it certainly will), acknowledging that it is an issue is progress compared to sticking their heads in the sand and ignoring their customers.... so.... progress.
You say it "certainly will", but how do you think they are they gonna implement it? Aside from Club Nintendo they have no way to keep track of who has bought what AFAIK. I know it is possible to implement an account system with the current setup, but I don't see Nintendo dedicating the time/resources, and certainly not the funds, to clean up their current mess. Remember, this is a company that can't even be bothered to implement online multiplayer on what is supposed to be their multiplayer heavy, AAA holiday megasmash hit this year (Super Mario HD Land).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an account based system. I'd love to buy a 3DS XL to play at home while keeping my standard 3DS to play while I travel, but the inability to share what little digital content I have between the two has stopped me from even considering it. Likewise, my inability to play WiiU VC titles on the 3DS (and vice versa) has largely kept me out of the eshop. I honestly just can't picture Nintendo fixing this mess, I think the best we can hope for is that they'll implement it next gen (and likely stop us from transferring any and all digital purchases in the process so they can "start fresh").

Edit: Maybe they'll do one solely for the WiiU, and that would be better than nothing, but honestly, what's the point? I don't know about you guys but I've never had to replace a console that doesn't start with "Xbox" in my life. I'm not going to break my WiiU, drop it on the ground, lose it at the Airport, have it stolen in a mugging, or spill water on it. Unless my apartment burns down or I am robbed, I don't see that being a huge issue. I'd be satisfied if they'd let you transfer fucking save files on an SD card or something so that we don't have to unlock everything in SSB or Mario Kart on those rare occasions I play at a friend's house.

Last edited:
I guess so. That's why they should have console pricing that's more appropriate for their business model. 1 generation behind in hardware and 2 generations behind in online network, they cannot charge $299-$349 for the deluxe console. $199 tops with or without games bundled.

It doesn't matter they publicly acknowledged anything because Dan works for NOA not NOJ. He even says so. All development and infrastructure happens out of Japan. NOA has been held back by NOJ since day 1. Until Iwata himself says this is a problem and we are working to correct this nothing will change.

As for the above post I'd say the only content they have kept track of is the stuff you have purchased that gets registered automatically if you have your system linked to your club Nintendo account.

Are the games really all the different? To me it seems like one game and you can just play as Luigi. Nintendo really needs to make a new Mario game that is actually new, like a Mario 64, or Mario Galaxy.

They have completely wasted the last year they had free rein on their new console.
Um, they're doing exactly that. Super Mario 3D World is shaping up to give Galaxy a run for its money. Best looking Mario game I've ever seen, and I've been gaming Nintendo for over 20 years. And I wouldn't say they wasted the last year. They spent the last year building a library, just like Sony and MS will have to do. In case you didn't realize, but Sony/MS launch is a barren wasteland of nothing. People act like Nintendo is doing something wrong by having the Wii U exist. Libraries take years to build. And considering they've released NSMBU, Nintendoland, Game & Wario, NSLU, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Zelda Windwaker HD, Wii Party U, and in a few weeks add Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit U, Mario & Sonic at 2014 Olympics and Super Mario 3D World, and they dropped the price to under $300, got Virtual Console up and running with releases such as Earthbound, Super Metroid, and Super Mario World, plus they released 2 major updates this year... I'd say "wasted" is the farthest thing from what they've done.

I know its popular to trash Nintendo and Wii U, but think about what you're saying. Just because Wii U isn't an immediate sensation, doesn't mean Nintendo isn't doing their job. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ALONE makes the Wii U the best console ever to hit market. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Nintendo fanboys are ridiculous.

All fanboys are ridiculous, Nintendo fanboys are just even more insane because there is a longer history.

To me games that stand out as different are Mario 3, Super Mario World, Mario 64, and the Galaxy. All Nintendo seems to be doing now is releasing 3-4 Mario games a year that all could be Mario 1 from the 80s. I just wanted to know if Lugi's game was anything special or different. It's not. It's an expansion pack.

I'm not trashing the Wii U, I'm just saying bring me the games and I'll happily buy one.

All fanboys are ridiculous, Nintendo fanboys are just even more insane because there is a longer history.

To me games that stand out as different are Mario 3, Super Mario World, Mario 64, and the Galaxy. All Nintendo seems to be doing now is releasing 3-4 Mario games a year that all could be Mario 1 from the 80s. I just wanted to know if Lugi's game was anything special or different. It's not. It's an expansion pack.

I'm not trashing the Wii U, I'm just saying bring me the games and I'll happily buy one.
Well, Luigi U is TECHNICALLY different, since it was designed to be a harder version of Super Mario Bros. U.

I would like to think that Nintendo can somehow verify that a game has been downloaded to your console, the internet enabled games at least. It really sucks that there's no digital equivalent of a Club Nintendo product code. 

I would like to think that Nintendo can somehow verify that a game has been downloaded to your console, the internet enabled games at least. It really sucks that there's no digital equivalent of a Club Nintendo product code.
If you have your CN account connected to your console, then your games should appear. Likewise, they should appear on the DX promo page if they're eligible, though I am not sure if this is what you're talking about.

I used to slob the Nintendo knob aggressively, but the WiiU is straight up shameful. $300 for what? I've never liked Sony all that much but for $100 less, you can get an obscene amount of value with their Black Friday PS3 bundle.

I still pimp the Gamecube as one of my favorite consoles and the N64 as my hands down favorite. I still have a Wii. I dragged my signif other to the Nintendo Store in the rain just to try out the WiiU. I am a Nintendo fanboy for all intents and purposes. I don't even care that they release new versions of the DS like they're software updates. The WiiU is unjustifiable though. You're telling me that for $300 I can get an improved Wii with remake of a game I played a bunch of years ago OR two games that would normally be considered DLC. All the while having to use obtuse codes to play online with people I know.

That's just jholden. Don't let the dumb things he say speak for all fanboys. His fanboyism is on a whole other level. He literally argues with everyone that doesnt love nintendo.
I love my Wii U but it's posts like his that make me a little ashamed to own one.

It's not a perfect console for most. I have little time to play games, so I picked up the Zelda bundle. Once I'm done I'll play NSMBU which I got on sale, and then NSLU. By that time it'll be next year and I can enjoy Mario 3D World. Everything else on the console looks like something I don't care for.

I used to slob the Nintendo knob aggressively, but the WiiU is straight up shameful. $300 for what? I've never liked Sony all that much but for $100 less, you can get an obscene amount of value with their Black Friday PS3 bundle.

I still pimp the Gamecube as one of my favorite consoles and the N64 as my hands down favorite. I still have a Wii. I dragged my signif other to the Nintendo Store in the rain just to try out the WiiU. I am a Nintendo fanboy for all intents and purposes. I don't even care that they release new versions of the DS like they're software updates. The WiiU is unjustifiable though. You're telling me that for $300 I can get an improved Wii with remake of a game I played a bunch of years ago OR two games that would normally be considered DLC. All the while having to use obtuse codes to play online with people I know.
A few quick corrections:

a) Technically only one of the "two games that would normally be considered DLC" would be considered DLC, that being "New Super Luigi U". New Super Luigi U is sold on a disc at $30, so it's a $90 value packed into the box.

b) Friend Codes are a thing of the past for Nintendo consoles. You now have proper usernames to use and a system-wide friends list.

c) Not sure where you're getting "an improved Wii" from. It's a bit like saying the PS4 is an improved PS3.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ALONE makes the Wii U the best console ever to hit market.
Holy shit, what? I love Monster Hunter, I played Freedom Unite religiously for a loooong time, but you pretty much just said Tri is the greatest game of all time. That's a bold statement and I don't know if anybody on this earth would agree with you.

Holy shit, what? I love Monster Hunter, I played Freedom Unite religiously for a loooong time, but you pretty much just said Tri is the greatest game of all time. That's a bold statement and I don't know if anybody on this earth would agree with you.
I love the game, but the cross save functionality is so bad that it's almost worse than nothing.

I still pimp the Gamecube as one of my favorite consoles and the N64 as my hands down favorite. I still have a Wii. I dragged my signif other to the Nintendo Store in the rain just to try out the WiiU. I am a Nintendo fanboy for all intents and purposes. I don't even care that they release new versions of the DS like they're software updates. The WiiU is unjustifiable though. You're telling me that for $300 I can get an improved Wii with remake of a game I played a bunch of years ago OR two games that would normally be considered DLC. All the while having to use obtuse codes to play online with people I know.
I don't know any DLC that offers the quality and content of New Super Mario Bros U of NSLU. I also don't understand how the Wii U is an "improved Wii". by that logic all the Xbox One and PS4 are is "improved" 360/PS3 systems. I mean seriously the power gap between Wii and Wii U is seriously big, its not an "improved" Wii when it adds its very own social network, off TV play, HD graphics and is significantly more powerful. I don't think adding 1.9GB RAM, tripling the Wii'S eDRAM, adding USB storage support and other nifty features of the U is just "improving" it, its a huge generational leap over the Wii

Also, use obtuse codes? You say you have a Wii U but you sound like you're referring to friend codes. You know there are no friend codes on the Wii U right? Just user names?

Told a lady about the new bundle coming out Nov. 1, as she was doing some christmas shopping already, and she was super excited about getting 2 free games!

Have fun waiting 2 years.
Or use some special coupons

CAGs are supposed to learn the cheapest way to buy games and related items.

I remember back when Newegg.com had $50 off $250 purchases .

That would definitely be nice to use on a Wii U bundle.

I'm waiting for Newegg.com to bring back that coupon.

I think some people used that coupon on a PS3 before and I'm quite sure SD should have some posts about that.

Not to keep harping but since I've already written a lot in here. I'd also like to see Nintendo do Cross-Buy. If I buy the original Zelda on my Wii U why can't I get it on the 3DS as well? It's the little things like that, the added value that NIntendo hasn't done. It's annoying. I guess it goes back to the unified account thing though as well.
I see what the deal is - you've been spoiled by Sony's varied attempts to get people excited! :p I can't blame you. I've had PS+ for about 18 months and it's been pretty sick. And I bought 2 PS3 games today (Sly 4, R&C: FFA) that have Vita cross-buy for $15 each. They just seem to be much more progressive (aggressive?) with trying new ideas and making their customers' lives a bit easier. I have to agree that Nintendo is still several years behind in infrastructure, but what can ya do?

Or use some special coupons

CAGs are supposed to learn the cheapest way to buy games and related items.

I remember back when Newegg.com had $50 off $250 purchases .

That would definitely be nice to use on a Wii U bundle.

I'm waiting for Newegg.com to bring back that coupon.

I think some people used that coupon on a PS3 before and I'm quite sure SD should have some posts about that.
Life's too short to hang out for $50. For me, it's no fun playing games a year after everyone else has. I like playing games when they come out, this means I'm very selective to what I choose to play, but for a game that I'm dying to play, even........... nvm dont even feel like finishing this reply too lazy

That new Skylanders Swap Force bundle effectively makes the wii U $225. Thats a damn good deal and while some will scoff at the 8GB of internal memory, but that is more than enough for save data and updates, etc. It is so easy to just get a USB drive for $50 or so and use that if you want/need more space for downloading games etc. More people need to realize who Nintendo's approach to memory solution is better for the consumer in the end. I got a 750 GB my book HDD for $30 last year on clearance and that has worked out damn good for me. I have more space from this 1 drive than I ever had on my 360/ps3. Regardless, Nintendo is going to sell a lot of consoles with these new bundles.  

bread's done
Back