New to 360 and live. Which one to pick?

hx214

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
Hey guys, I need some insight.

I just picked up a 360 and I have a few games that I am looking at. I just want to pick up one for now, so let me know your opinions. I'm new to live to, I have about 3 people in my family that I can play games with, so let me know if any of these are more fun with people you know.

Chromehounds - I played the demo and enjoyed it, but some people say its only good online. Is the single player that bad? I would like to play online, but does anyone play this anymore? It seems like a good team based game that my friends and I would like to play, but if its almost dead on live then whats the point? Does this have online co-op with the missions?

Battlefield 2 : Modern Combat - My cousin has this game and LOVES it, and a couple of my friends already have it, so it would be a good one to pick up because they already have it, but is there even a single player? Is it any good? I've also heard that people that play this are WAY to good, IE they hit you at respawn places before you can even start. I would NOT enjoy that at all. Impressions on this one? Does it play like Star Wars Battlefront?

Oblivion - It's not really a live game, but it has some great reviews. I mildly enjoyed Morrowind (I put about 12 hours into it before the combat system got to me, I just couldn't stand the forward slash...) They say the combat system is fixed and alot better so that is a HUGE plus. The only thing is, is that I don't know if I have the time that it needs...

GRAW -I have played this one before at a friends house, but just the co-op, its pretty good, but I wasn't totally impressed with the offline play, is it good online?

Any impressions on these games? I can pick up most of them for around $35, give or take a few bux (Chromehounds is like $25)

I was thinking of gears and rainbox 6 - vegas, but i'll probably pick those up after christmas/early next year, just because of the price, (I am a cheapass you know)

If you only had one pick, what would you pick?

Thanks in advance.

I saw that Roufuss, if this tread doesn't follow the rules you can lock, but I wanted specific's about each of these games. Mostly if they are still played online or not

[quote name='hx214']I saw that Roufuss, if this tread doesn't follow the rules you can lock, but I wanted specific's about each of these games. Mostly if they are still played online or not[/QUOTE]

Maybe Chromehounds is still played online, but nobody on my friends list is playing any of the other games at all.

It's mostly Gears of War, Smackdown, some people have finally started to play Rainbow Six Vegas.

The Live community, from what I've noticed, moves fast from game to game unless the game is REALLY good online, like Gears of War. In another few months the 4 games in the OP will be ghost town's.

Oblivion owned my life for 130 hours.

I never played Morrowind so I can't compare the combat systems. There was a lot of forward slashing that you mentioned, but I still really enjoyed it. You don't need to spend 130 hours on it. Someone could easily complete the main questline in under 30 hours.

Oblivion and Condemned are great single player games, if that's what you're going for. I like Condemned better, but I played Oblivion for a lot longer.

GRAW is a bit older. I didn't play it ranked, but it was fun while it lasted. With GRAW2 announced, I'd just wait for that.

I got all I needed from Battlefield 2 out of the online demo. It's only one map, but the game isn't all that great to begin with, so it was enough for me.

If you're looking for the best online/co-op/multiplayer experience on the 360, it's Gears of War, hands down. No game is more fun and no game offers what it does in both co-op and multiplayer.

My take on your situation:

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat - 1st
(out of the 4)

Positives:
Great gameplay both online and in single player
Tons of maps
Tons of achievements
Tough single player campaign
Great graphics
Clan support
24 player rooms
Negatives:
No host option for Xbox Live
Most of the people play one of three maps online

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter - 2nd (out of the 4)
Positives:
Tons of online options: Co-Op, Deathmatch, Terrorist Hunt, Player/ranked matches, etc.
Very big, detailed maps
Very strategic/team-oriented combat
Tons of achievements
Tough game all-around
Good graphics
Huge assortment of guns
A lot of Xbox Live Downloadable Content
Negatives:
Connection to game's server is goofy sometimes (kicks people out of rooms for no reason)
Ranked matches take forever to get going
Downloadable content is rather expensive (at least for Chapter 2 pack)

Chromehounds - 3rd (out of the 4)
Positives:
Awesome CAG clan devoted to playing a lot
Tons of customization options for your hound
Best game in the Mech/Shooter genre
Cool single player experience
Negatives:
Really tough game to get good at
Probably not worth much more than a rental if you plan to not be part of HOSTILE CAG or another group of players online.

Oblivion - 4th (out of the 4)
Positives:
Awesome single player story
Long gameplay
Cool character customization
Great fight sequences
Negatives:
No replay value once achievements are taken care of
No multiplayer
Screen-tearing to the max

Other/better games than you mentioned:

Call of Duty 3 - War is the coolest/most intense game mode out for any shooting game. Period.
Gears of War - The complete package: awesome Co-Op and awesome multiplayer
Far Cry Predator: Instincts - 2 full single player stories plus awesome multiplayer game modes like Predator. Also has created maps which you can use/share online with others.
Call of Duty 2 - Awesome single player
Half Life 2: Episode 2 (next year) - Half Life 2 + Team Fortress = amazing

Out of all the choices in the OP, I have owned them all & have gotten the most enjoyment out of Battlefield. The Single player game is hard, but there is much fun to be had on Live!

bread's done
Back