New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

I love the update but am starting to wonder if the occasional freeze during World at War is a server issue or an issue with game installations. I ask this as the Mini-Dashboard also is subject to an occasional freeze or noticeable delay.

[quote name='Chase']I love the update but am starting to wonder if the occasional freeze during World at War is a server issue or an issue with game installations. I ask this as the Mini-Dashboard also is subject to an occasional freeze or noticeable delay.[/quote]

I occasionally have some delay with my mini dashboard but patience is a virtue right.

I've stayed off of Live since I heard that the NXE is causing problems. My previous 360 kept freezing on me so I took it back. I exchanged it for an Elite a few weeks ago. While checking out the information on NXE I found out it was screwing up Elites.

Is it a particular model of Elites, like those manufactured within a certain period of time? Mine was manufactured on 2-25-08. If you've got the NXE, could you check out when it was manufactured and report whether your system is still working? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I'm paranoid that as soon as I get on Live my 360 will be bricked.

Haven't had a problem until recently...

For some strange reason now when I load up a game, sometimes I appear as being signed-off of my profile(even though I was already logged into my profile both normally and to XBL)

So when I pull up the guide, and click Sign-In my name just appears invisible and won't allow me to click on it.

It's extremely frustrating because I can't save to my profile and obviously can't play on-line.. so I have to actually re-start the XBox to solve this problem because re-starting the game sometimes does not work...

[quote name='seanr1221']Yup, karate kid and ghostbusters were added to my list :)

Anyone with Verizon DSL get more than 2 bars?[/quote]

I have Verizon DSL and I barely get a goddamn bar.

[quote name='MondiBlue']I've stayed off of Live since I heard that the NXE is causing problems. My previous 360 kept freezing on me so I took it back. I exchanged it for an Elite a few weeks ago. While checking out the information on NXE I found out it was screwing up Elites.

Is it a particular model of Elites, like those manufactured within a certain period of time? Mine was manufactured on 2-25-08. If you've got the NXE, could you check out when it was manufactured and report whether your system is still working? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I'm paranoid that as soon as I get on Live my 360 will be bricked.[/QUOTE]

All three Xbox models are identical. The only difference is the case color, and the included accessories. For some reason it seems like these updates kill a lot of systems, but don't worry about it. I mean you'll have to do it sooner or later, so might as well do it now while you're under warranty. And you're no more likely to have it die than anyone else with a Falcon model.

My Falcon updated just fine. I don't' LIKE the new interface (I mean there are improvements, but they could have been implemented in the old interface), but the system works.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I occasionally have some delay with my mini dashboard but patience is a virtue right.[/quote]

It's a shame it isn't a cake scented Scratch and Sniff sticker. At least I'd have some way to entertain myself during the delays. ;)

hey if u guys have already downloaded the bare your teeth and hope runs deep themes delete them off ur hd and redownload them off ur purchase history and you'll get the premium versions!

[quote name='Nelo Ice']hey if u guys have already downloaded the bare your teeth and hope runs deep themes delete them off ur hd and redownload them off ur purchase history and you'll get the premium versions![/QUOTE]

You do not need to delete the originals, just re-download and you will have both on your HD as the new Premium themes have different names.

[quote name='Owen']You do not need to delete the originals, just re-download and you will have both on your HD as the new Premium themes have different names.[/quote]

ic i was just followin off what i read on gaf

I wonder if there are any other themes like that. The only problem is these updated themes will not be listed as purchased so you could accidentally buy them again if you just look at the Game's theme section.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Don't go with At&t (formerly Pac Bell) they are the AOhell of DSL...[/quote]

You had to of been far from your local CO or VRAD. My service with AT&T has been light years better than the garbage I was accustomed to with Comcast.

[quote name='Matt Young']I didn't realize we could use avatars in Bomberman Live. Awesome.[/quote]

you can go on the marketplace and filter by games that use avatars

[quote name='Matt Young']I didn't realize we could use avatars in Bomberman Live. Awesome.[/quote]

Same, I booted up the game and was given a new update, then avatars! Its not really that cool, just a surprise.

both hardwood card games (xbla), keflings, uno, bomberman, and then Scene it: BOS is all the currently uses Avatars.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Same, I booted up the game and was given a new update, then avatars! Its not really that cool, just a surprise.[/quote]

For Bomberman Live I had to update it so it could tell me to redownload it because it had a new update for Avatars :S

Yeah both hardwood card games and bomberman have a TU (title update prompted when the game is started) then the game has to be physically re-downloaded from the marketplace which you are prompted for.

A really backwards way of updating but I guess the game's code was written in a way that they would not be able to do it normally.

Check out the Major's Avatar .

Ripped jeans?
Looks like he's beta testing new clothing options .

I experienced a major lack of performance after i installed GTA4 to the hard drive.

I found the popup was MUCH worse and it was very noticeable. I uninstalled and ran it from the disc, and aside from intial load time the game plays smoother from disc then hard drive. Anyone else have this happen as well?

Yeah, looks like Major's son or something. :lol:

twa, I think that might be because GTAIV already uses caching and continuously streams off the disc. I believe I read that for games like that, typically installing to HD will reduce performance, like Halo 3.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah, looks like Major's son or something. :lol:

twa, I think that might be because GTAIV already uses caching and continuously streams off the disc. I believe I read that for games like that, typically installing to HD will reduce performance, like Halo 3.[/QUOTE]

Which is really too bad, and kind of ironic. I don't know what to think about it, since NOT installing to the drive is not an option for me.

Hopefully, future games will consider hard drive installs, and not use the caching system found in games like Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto 4. There is a high-possibility I will not buy games that experience problems when installed.

[quote name='Zyzomys']How can this not be an option? You still need the disk either way![/quote]

His disk drive is probably loud and skips, just like mine. Disc Read Error city. This is a problem on many units, I'm afraid, and I was waiting with baited breath for the install feature because of it (and it's totally assuaged my difficulties).

I think Halo 3 caches a bit differently than other games do, so stuff like GTA IV and Fable 2, which also cache, will still benefit from installs. Fable 2 certainly benefits immeasurably, and GTA IV does seem to, from what I've seen.

It shouldn't really be too hard to modify games. They're designed to run (tho poorly) without a HDD at all to cache to, so can't they just tell Halo 3 to run itself as if no hard drive existed, BUT, to run that way FROM the hard drive?

I personally don't care, as I don't play Halo (I suck horribly), but it seems like sort of a bummer for folks that play it a lot.

I dunno if anyone else has discovered this, but if you install a game, and there's a fleck of dirt on the disc, when you get to that part the game won't play. It happened to me in gears of war 2. I had to delete the game from my hard drive, clean the disc, and install it again. It took me 30 minutes to figure out what was wrong. it works fine now so if anyone else is having this problem, that's how to fix it.

That is really weird. You'd think it would be smarter about copying it to begin with. Using error correction and whatnot. We'll all need to remember that for future reference...

Is there a list of games somewhere that are known to run worse off the HDD? I know Halo 3 has been mentioned, but GoW2 takes a while to load off my HDD.

But since I did a lot of playing off the HDD with it, I cannot remember if it was taking that long from the disc.

I also noticed playing local co-op on the game makes it get read from the disc. Kinda strange.

[quote name='jd302426']Word on the internet says that new Jasper Xbox 360s have 256mb internal memory so you store NXE fully on the Xbox 360 itself.[/quote]
Sounds interesting, and it would certainly make sense. Honestlly, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't do that from the start, although I suppose that they also probably weren't thinking about the NXE when they designed the system.

[quote name='TruVisionary']I dunno if anyone else has discovered this, but if you install a game, and there's a fleck of dirt on the disc, when you get to that part the game won't play. It happened to me in gears of war 2. I had to delete the game from my hard drive, clean the disc, and install it again. It took me 30 minutes to figure out what was wrong. it works fine now so if anyone else is having this problem, that's how to fix it.[/quote]

That is rather odd. I'll make a mental note in case any of my installs experience issues.

Hmm...that's...weird...to say the least. Definitely haven't encountered that, and I've installed a bunch of games to the hard drive.

The dash still freezes for me when going to the blades in games. They really need to fix that. Well...I'm guessing my 360 is near its' end because I'm guaranteeing the next dashboard update kills it.

[quote name='jd302426']Word on the internet says that new Jasper Xbox 360s have 256mb internal memory so you store NXE fully on the Xbox 360 itself.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that too, but I don't understand what it means. The NXE is still there regardless of whether your drive in inserted. Maybe parts of it...the avatars or something, aren't? Stuff that you can't access anyway without your profile being on the system? That's the only thing I can think, because the basics are all there, and AFAIK nothing about my storage space on my drive has changed, other than a tiny amount storing my avatar's design I presume, but it's smaller than most game saves.

I haven't been in this thread too much since the update went live but I just wanted to relate this little tidbit:

Microsoft made my 5 year-old cry.

All of a sudden this evening he came in crying and asking me why I changed the Xbox because now he can't find the arcade games. He wasn't even playing it at the time - this happened a few days ago and my wife called me while I was out to figure out how to find them. He just remembered it when he saw his brother playing GHWT and it brought back the horrible memory.

Anyway, when I told him I didn't have any choice and they just changed it to work that way he said "I hate those people" :rofl:

So take that Microsoft!

(As for me, I kind of like it - I told him he'll get used to it and figure it out then it won't be so bad).

[quote name='io']I haven't been in this thread too much since the update went live but I just wanted to relate this little tidbit:

All of a sudden this evening he came in crying and asking me why I changed the Xbox because now he can't find the arcade games. He wasn't even playing it at the time - this happened a few days ago and my wife called me while I was out to figure out how to find them. He just remembered it when he saw his brother playing GHWT and it brought back the horrible memory.

Anyway, when I told him I didn't have any choice and they just changed it to work that way he said "I hate those people" :rofl:

So take that Microsoft!

(As for me, I kind of like it - I told him he'll get used to it and figure it out then it won't be so bad).[/QUOTE]

Ooooh that's a riot (and cute). Well, there ya go :D

I've slowly learned more or less where stuff is, but the interface is just stupid. I'm baffled by people who were "confused" by the old interface. I mean it was all labeled pretty clearly, and just sitting right there on the screen.

The most confusing thing about the old interface was just that save game/demo management is in the system area...but it still is in the new one, only it's more confusing to get to.

EDIT: Actually finding your downloaded games seems a lot harder too, even after you find the right area. It was obvious how to separate out games you own with the old interface, but if you can, I STILL don't know how to do that with the new one.

[quote name='io']I haven't been in this thread too much since the update went live but I just wanted to relate this little tidbit:

So take that Microsoft!

(As for me, I kind of like it - I told him he'll get used to it and figure it out then it won't be so bad).[/QUOTE]
Does he post on the internet, yet? Sounds like he's got it figured out already.

:D

My cousin had to have me come over and set up the settings for making his 360 start a game when inserted, and set up to instantly start it if a disc is in the tray when the system was turned on. He thought it was nice when the NXE came out now he hates it.

I dunno I start liking more and more everyday.

Out of curiosity, what do you like about it?

There are some good changes that came with the update, but from what I can see, none of them have anything to do with the new interface. (Stuff like install to drive, and a better listing of content in the marketplace, although worse on your system...)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Out of curiosity, what do you like about it?

There are some good changes that came with the update, but from what I can see, none of them have anything to do with the new interface. (Stuff like install to drive, and a better listing of content in the marketplace, although worse on your system...)[/quote]

It was weird because it was new. I know where everything is now and I like it just fine. Things are faster and you can download from Xbox.com straight to your 360 now. Even if I didn't like this new interface better, if that's what I have to live with to get 8 person party/chat, Netflix and all those other new options, I'll live with it.

[quote name='Trakan']It was weird because it was new. I know where everything is now and I like it just fine. Things are faster and you can download from Xbox.com straight to your 360 now. Even if I didn't like this new interface better, if that's what I have to live with to get 8 person party/chat, Netflix and all those other new options, I'll live with it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but none of those features have anything to do with the new interface. I've kind of memorized where stuff is now, but this is the first time (going all the way back to the TurboDuo and SegaCD) where I've HAD to memorize an interface.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, but none of those features have anything to do with the new interface. I've kind of memorized where stuff is now, but this is the first time (going all the way back to the TurboDuo and SegaCD) where I've HAD to memorize an interface.[/QUOTE]

For one thing, anything that has to do with changing settings or viewing my download history, I know is just clicking on my Gamertag under MyXbox.

So far, that's been the case. EVERYTHING is in there that has to do with user settings, download history or preferences.

Accessing the marketplace content, I can see how that is sort of confusing. I love to check the latest trailers, and it is a bit wonky to get to the trailers. (Click on video marketplace, then new releases)

Has anybody else received this email from [email protected]?

Hello,

This is the Xbox Customer Service Team and I am contacting you in regard to
your Xbox Upgrade order, #4347893987. We are unable to process your order
due to an undeliverable address. The address you provide is:

my address here

Upon receipt of your correct/complete shipping address and phone number we
will process your order. You will receive an email notification following
the processing of your order.

If corrected address information is not received within 3 business days
your order will be cancelled.

Thank you,
Xbox Customer Service Team

I don't know what the problem is. I checked and double checked for any typos I might've made in my address.

DO i need to run out tonight and buy a GOLD membership card to hook into netflix or does the free Trail time work with netflix..

Ordered a 13 month one off AMAZON for 39 but it will not get here for up to 2 weeks

I did not know if the free time will work or i need to run out tomorrow and buy one of those 1 month cards for 7.99

THANKS

[quote name='lllusion']free trail works fine , I did it myself with the free trail then added the 1 year code afterwards.[/QUOTE]

how long is the Free time for

bread's done
Back