NFL 2010-2011 Season Discussion Thread

Well, they did beat the Bears at Chicago earlier this year, and the NFC West is traditionally good in the Playoffs. I also picked the Seahawks to win last week.

[quote name='KingBroly']Well, they did beat the Bears at Chicago earlier this year, and the NFC West is traditionally good in the Playoffs. I also picked the Seahawks to win last week.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Bears are as good of a matchup though. Hasselbeck had to play completely out of his mind last week and he is good against the blitz which New Orleans does often. The Seahawks defense gave up 36 points to a team that was totally banged up. If they give up 36 to the Bears they are going to lose by 3TDs. They can obviously beat them (they already did it this year) but I think it is very unlikely.

Still, stranger things have happened - I just really don't like the matchup. The Bears are way better on defense and they are at least a little better on special teams and offense. Unless Cutler has a complete meltdown I just don't see the Seahawks winning. I will be pulling for them - I want them to host the Packers in the NFC Championship game!!

As crazy as it sounds the Seahawks have a chance at the Super Bowl. If they beat the Bears and the Packers beat the Falcons, the NFC Championship would be in Seattle. The Seahawks have traditionally had great home field advantage and one of the loudest stadiums. If it comes down to that situation, who knows.

Nevertheless, I'm sticking with my preseason pick. Packers vs Patriots. (with the Patriots winning it all).

My preseason pick was Patriots/Falcons with the Patriots winning. I'm confident about the Pats, but not so much about the Falcons.

[quote name='SpeedyG']As a Bears fan, I'm not sure how to feel about a possible Packers/Bears NFC Championship game...[/QUOTE]

The Bears still need to get past the Seahawks, haha.

Can't believe they lost to them. :cold:

[quote name='Amblix']The Bears still need to get past the Seahawks, haha.

Can't believe they lost to them. :cold:[/QUOTE]
The six sacks certainly helped. As porous as the O-line was at the time I'm surprised it wasn't 10+!

[quote name='SpeedyG']As a Bears fan, I'm not sure how to feel about a possible Packers/Bears NFC Championship game...[/QUOTE]

I would want this match-up more than anything. First, it would be a Bears home game and second I think division rivals play each other tough so it should be a close winnable game. I wouldn't want to have to go to Atlanta.

[quote name='javeryh']I would want this match-up more than anything. First, it would be a Bears home game and second I think division rivals play each other tough so it should be a close winnable game. I wouldn't want to have to go to Atlanta.[/QUOTE]

That would be a pretty intense champioship game.

[quote name='Tony208']Patriots Seahawks super bowl
huge favorite vs huge underdog/worst playoff team in history[/QUOTE]

Sounds a little too familiar for my tastes. :bomb:

My picks for the next week are

Falcons over Packers
Seahawks over Bears
Patriots over Jets
Steelers over Ravens (though I hope the Ravens pull it out)

Packers over Falcons
Bears over Seahawks
Patriots over Jets
Steelers over Ravens

then

Packers over Bears
Patriots over Steelers

Superbowl
Packers over Patriots

[quote name='gbpackers94']Packers over Falcons
Bears over Seahawks
Patriots over Jets
Steelers over Ravens

then

Packers over Bears
Patriots over Steelers

Superbowl
Packers over Patriots[/QUOTE]

Same, except the other way around in that last one. ;)

Although as one of the few teams in the past two months the Patriots didn't annihilate (and that without Rodgers) there's no team I'd like to see less than the Pack.

[quote name='KingBroly']Well, they did beat the Bears at Chicago earlier this year...[/QUOTE]

Seahawks VS Steelers rematch confirmed. :lol:

[quote name='bvharris']The Jets really love to talk, huh?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...that_patriots_qb_tom_brady_is_an_ass_say.html

It's amazing to me they're actually yapping more this time than they did before the 45-3 game. I wonder how much of this is them being overconfident and how much is opportunistic media members baiting Jets players and them being too stupid to pass up the chance to give the Pats bulletin board material.[/QUOTE]

You know, I used to hate the Patriots as a whole but their behavior this season has really been exemplary. They conduct themselves very well, little trash talk, and few instances of running up the score or anything. They're showing themselves as a mature team that knows they're good and are gracious enough to not feel the need to flaunt it in front of everyone.

The Jets on the other hand are cocky, overconfident, and employ some of the most trash-talking players in the league that don't have enough substance to back it up (Cromartie and Revis). Then there's Braylon Edwards who is basically a thug with no regard to the law. Finally, the classlessness of Rex Ryan at this point is almost a farce (constant swearing, taping his wife's feet for Youtube, etc.). They've publicly trash talked just about every single team they played this year.

I think it all comes down the Jets just wanting to be the next villains of the NFL. Plain and simple they want to be hated. I'll meet their challenge, F' em, I hope the Patriots stomp a mud hole in their ass.

Edit-Looks like most people reading the article felt the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Patriots are always on their best behavior. Most haven't realized it until Jabba the Rex took over as the Jets head coach. The Pats don't talk much at all. They're always 'well, it's for the good of the team, one game at a time, rah rah rah.' At the same time, they're murdering teams left and right and they seem oblivious to the outside world. It's like they've achieved football nirvana or something.

As for my picks this weekend I'm still a bit iffy on everything but BAL-PIT, but most likely if I miss a pick it'll be that game.

[quote name='KingBroly']The Patriots are always on their best behavior. Most haven't realized it until Jabba the Rex took over as the Jets head coach. The Pats don't talk much at all. They're always 'well, it's for the good of the team, one game at a time, rah rah rah.' At the same time, they're murdering teams left and right and they seem oblivious to the outside world. It's like they've achieved football nirvana or something.
[/QUOTE]

This. The Patriots have been that way for the entirety of the Brady/Belichick era. There have really only been a few malcontents over the years, and those guys (Randy Moss, Adalius Thomas, a few others) eventually find their way out of town. Even guys like Corey Dillon who were headaches elsewhere toed the line for the most part in New England.

Belichick subscribes to the "speak softly and carry a big stick" approach, and he gets the players to buy in almost to a man.

The only thing is to be a successful villain you have to be successful.

Also, what they said about the Patriots. Though Tom did have his little comments about the Jets when a reporter asked him if he was watching Hard Knocks.

Mark Sanchez strikes zero fear into me as a Pats fan. He looked pretty bad during most of the game Saturday and he was over throwing everything

[quote name='Viol8tor']Seahawks VS Steelers rematch confirmed. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Hooray! If there is anything I want to see this year, it's a rematch of the worst called, least exciting, all around shittiest Super Bowl of all time!

If that somehow actually happens, it better be one giant MAKE UP CALL with the Seahawks undeservedly winning by 17.

[quote name='bvharris']The Jets really love to talk, huh?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...that_patriots_qb_tom_brady_is_an_ass_say.html

It's amazing to me they're actually yapping more this time than they did before the 45-3 game. I wonder how much of this is them being overconfident and how much is opportunistic media members baiting Jets players and them being too stupid to pass up the chance to give the Pats bulletin board material.[/QUOTE]

Cromartie is an idiot. I love Rex Ryan talking all the smack he wants though - he should be taking the pressure off of the team by saying it is personal to him and that he has to find out a way to beat Belichik, etc. The players should just keep their mouths shut - especially Cromartie who I'm positive will get burned by at least 2 TDs and a PI.

[quote name='Tony208']if only Cromartie was half as good as Revis, NY would love him
didn't he got burned last week by Garcon[/QUOTE]

I think you got burned by grammar.

If only Cromartie could cover receivers like he covers the ladies.

Obligatory Cromartie paternity joke fulfilled.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Pats don't need to talk shit since their fans will do all of it for them, which also extends to Boston sports fans in general.[/QUOTE]

Generalize much? :roll:

I'll lock in my picks now.

Pittsburgh over Baltimore
Green Bay over Atlanta
Seattle over Chicago
New England over New York

[quote name='KingBroly']I'll lock in my picks now.

Pittsburgh over Baltimore
Green Bay over Atlanta
Seattle over Chicago
New England over New York[/QUOTE]

I am in favor of your picks. I'd love Seattle to win (as long as Green Bay does too) but I'm thinking it's not going to happen...

I'm really torn on my picks because who I want to win isn't who I expect to win

Seahawks beat Bears (Seattle seems to end lucky teams)
Falcons beat Packers (can't argue with their home record)
Patriots demolish Jets (this one is gonna be a blowout again)
Ravens stun Steelers

A couple upsets in there and my picks lean a little more toward who I want to win rather than who I think will win but oh well.

Bears > Seahawks
Packers > Falcons
Patriots > Jets
Steelers > Raven

Packers > Bears
Steelers > Patriots

Packers > Steelers

[quote name='javeryh']I am in favor of your picks. I'd love Seattle to win (as long as Green Bay does too) but I'm thinking it's not going to happen...[/QUOTE]

It mainly comes down to the Quarterbacks. Who do I trust less?

[quote name='KingBroly']It mainly comes down to the Quarterbacks. Who do I trust less?[/QUOTE]

For me it comes down to defense and special teams and Chicago is going to crush Seattle.

My original picks and I'm sticking with it:

[quote name='javeryh']Bears 27-16
Packers 27-24

Patriots 34-23
Steelers 23-20[/QUOTE]

Packers over Falcons
Bears over Seahawks

Ravens over Steelers
Patriots over Jets

Packers over Bears
Ravens over Patriots

Packers over Ravens

[quote name='Amblix']Guess I'm the only person that thinks the Jets and Falcons are going to win. :D[/QUOTE]

Well you haven't really given a reason why you think the Jets are going to win, so I guess nobody's convinced. ;)

I think they certainly can win, but I don't see any compelling reason to think it's likely.

[quote name='bvharris']Well you haven't really given a reason why you think the Jets are going to win, so I guess nobody's convinced. ;)

I think they certainly can win, but I don't see any compelling reason to think it's likely.[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen many arguments on why the PAts should besides the game a few weeks ago.

The game will eb all about defense, the Jets pass rush, which is usually top notch, failed miserably that game, I don't expect them to do that again, espcially with Rex Ryan running his mouth.

Mark Sanchez has had signs of greatness from time to time, this has to be the game where he does proves to the league he will be an elite quarterback, he also has to exploit the Patriots secondary, which has had it's off days this year.

Edit;

As for the Falcons and Packers, I just think the Falcons are a better team in most areas then the Packers are. x:

[quote name='Amblix']Haven't seen many arguments on why the PAts should besides the game a few weeks ago.
[/QUOTE]

I assume you mean the one which they won by 42 points?

How about this one: Their quarterback is approximately one million times better than the guy the other team is trotting out there. And if that fake statistic doesn't do it for you....

On paper, the Patriots are a far better team than the Jets and it's really not that close. Football Outsiders has this Patriots team with a 44.7% DVOA (for those who don't follow advanced metrics, that's historically good). Pittsburgh was the only other team in the NFL remotely close.

Their point differential this season is over 140 points better than the Jets is and, more importantly, their +27 turnover differential on the season is also one of the best of all time. For reference, the next closest in the NFL was Pittsburgh at +14, barely over half as good. They forced the most turnovers in the NFL and committed the fewest. That's a recipe for winning football.

I could keep going, but I think my point is made. So essentially, by every conceivable measure the Patriots were the best team in the NFL this season and it was not even close. That's just a few reasons why they "should" win this game. That's not to say they will win it, because of course the Jets can win, but to say there aren't compelling reasons for the Pats to be favored (implying it's essentially a toss-up) is just ridiculous.

Edit: That's not to say that I'm not nervous for the game. As a Pats fan I'm nervous before every game, and a playoff loss to the Jets would be the worst feeling I could imagine. That's how you can tell the bandwagon Boston fans from the lifers by the way, the latter group might be confident about our teams but we're constantly filled with a sense of unending dread from memories of when our teams sucked terribly, and we never lose that. :D

bread's done
Back