NHL 11 - Out now!

bumping this for Striker ;) Normally, I'd pre-order with Amazon in a heartbeat. But they're really not doing anything special with this game. At least Gamestop is giving you the equipment boosts, which should be useful all year. They've also had some free overnight shipping coupons going on as well.

[quote name='Flyersfan']So are we going to vote on a new gameday or are we sticking with Friday night?[/QUOTE]
I'm still all for moving to Saturday, and since Nate said that we might be having 2 nights a week, perhaps we can have both. I just figured that Saturday is a day that most of us have off, so we could spend a bit more time with NHL (gives us a lot more practice time too).

[quote name='Magicking610']I'm still all for moving to Saturday, and since Nate said that we might be having 2 nights a week, perhaps we can have both. I just figured that Saturday is a day that most of us have off, so we could spend a bit more time with NHL (gives us a lot more practice time too).[/QUOTE]

Well, since there's a chance that I won't be able to play the game after December, I don't want to dictate too much this year. You guys can play whenever you want to play. But I can say that Saturdays wouldn't really work for me. I could basically guarantee 2 Saturdays a month I wouldn't be able to make it. Between UFC events and going out with my wife, Saturday's worse than Friday for me personally.

I definitely wouldn't mind having two nights a week set to play NHL, since that would give people an alternate to Friday in itself. But spacing the days out might be a good idea too...just in case anybody is stuck working all weekend. Unless we did something like Sunday and Wednesday, you'd think Friday would be a good day for ONE of the days. As for the other, I'd be fine with basically any day but Saturday.

As I've told Nate and Magic before (and probably others), I'd definitely like to move to another day or add a second day since I will once again be attending the ECHL games and the Reign have a lot of their home games on Friday and Saturday nights. Sundays are usually good, and most weeknights would work fine as well.

Man, I should probably get in some time with the demo before my friends show up in a bit. Haven't played it yet.

Friday's have pretty much always worked. Adding another night would be fine too, like a Tuesday or something?

I have to miss the first Friday and I'm pissed already about it, but I'll be there Friday #2 for sho.

I agree with Nate, Saturday is much harder.

[quote name='Matt Young']As I've told Nate and Magic before (and probably others), I'd definitely like to move to another day or add a second day since I will once again be attending the ECHL games and the Reign have a lot of their home games on Friday and Saturday nights. Sundays are usually good, and most weeknights would work fine as well.

Man, I should probably get in some time with the demo before my friends show up in a bit. Haven't played it yet.[/QUOTE]

I get your reasons why you have to miss a lot of Fridays and Saturdays, Matt. But the only reason I think Sunday could pose a problem is due to people having to get up for school or work on Monday mornings. And it would seem kinda dumb to not have ONE Hockey Night on the weekend. To me, that's why adding a 2nd Hockey Night at the beginning of the week (like Destro said...maybe Tuesday or something) would help those people.

But really, these are just suggestions. Ultimately, people can play as much or as little as they want. I know there were a few stretches where we were playing almost every night. It just takes effort from multiple people to make that happen. It's easy to talk about it. But doing it is another thing entirely. I will say, I'd personally like to play the game with people who play often though. It's easy to get rusty, and if we're trying to put an emphasis on defense this year, we need to keep our skills sharp. A bigger commitment from everybody would be awesome!

^This... I know once NHL comes out the only two games I will be playing are this and Halo:Reach.

I will be there for every Friday Hockey Night I can, and when my friends aren't playing Reach during the week, I'll definitely hop on NHL and we can get some games in. I just don't see the need to move the weekend night, we always had at least 4 guys ready to go almost every Friday at 8 o'clock, and tons of nights we had two full squads. And like Nate said, there was a good stretch where I saw guys playing almost every night.

New to this thread but been playing NHL since 08 on PS3 now XBOX. I play almost exclusively Online VS with my wife and we rack up quite a few wins each year ranked in the top 200... I'd love to see if we could get involved with the CAG team this season if possible. I know that OTP is an entirely different game but I'm willing to learn and practice.

I guess I'll look for the thread when the game is released. We're up to play any position, all though I love playing offense and my wife plays better D.

Just tried goalie. Seems mostly similar to last year but with small improvements to movement and moving across the crease which is good.

edit- after another game I can't tell if the movements have been changed or if it is just easier to react with the slower game speed. It seems much easier to see a play developing in front of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
NHL and WWE for me really lol.

Also, I just got the puck with the Goalie, threw it out in the middle and a Flyers got it and scored, they reviewed it and it didn't touch his stick just his skate so they ruled it a No Goal. I thought that was really cool.

I really liked the demo. Somehow the graphics seem much more crisp as you can see the reflections of the arena far more in detail on the fresh ice in the beginning of each period.

All the new momentum fixes feel great. The speed differences are very appreciated. I really like now the AI competes offensively with puck dumps that make sense as well we using Dekes and stick handles to get open. Last year all the CPU on superstar wanted to do was pass along the perimeter near the boards and never take it in!

Oh yes, I also thoroughly enjoy seeing the stick handling taking more strides and space only if your player has a higher rating. In 10 it seemed as if your third and fourth line guys could do the same puck drop and stick fakes and dekes as your first liners. Definitely great attention to detail here.

[quote name='azngtlman']I'd love to see if we could get involved with the CAG team this season if possible. I know that OTP is an entirely different game but I'm willing to learn and practice.

I guess I'll look for the thread when the game is released. We're up to play any position, all though I love playing offense and my wife plays better D.[/QUOTE]

We'd love to have both of you. We're pretty good about rotating positions, and a lot of times there's enough to have 2 squads going also. The only thing that would concern me is having a lady present with some of the game chatter that goes on. Not that I ever say anything crude or offensive though... *cricket* haha

[quote name='DarkTower80']edit- after another game I can't tell if the movements have been changed or if it is just easier to react with the slower game speed. It seems much easier to see a play developing in front of you.[/QUOTE]

I think you hit the nail on the head here. This is why I like the slower speed. Yeah, it makes the game feel "less exciting" because you're not flying all over the ice, but it just translates to better hockey. I really think it helps with the cross creases as well. Giving the players more time to react just makes sense.

I can't wait to see if the slow game speed gets carried over to OTP, it would be quite nice to have more time to react to plays.

As for the second game day, the only second day I can use is Saturday, unless you guys don't mind me dropping out after 2 or 3 minutes.

Wife and I played roughly 10 games the other day and some of the more notable changes:

1) Game movement and speed is much slower now.
2) Passing is much different, the touch sensitive passes will take some getting used to, but I kind of like it. And passes take a bit to register whereas they used to fly from player to player instantly.
3) Being stick lifted no longer renders you useless for what seems to be 5 seconds, on numerous occasions, being stick lifted from behind, I was still able to recover the puck with the same player.
4) Skating around without a stick is a bit awkward but fun.
5) Tripping calls taking place much more often even if the player you "tripped" didn't fall to the ice.
6) HUT mode looks like it's going to be really fun unlike the MUT in Madden 11.

as soon as i can get my brothers disk i'll be on.. he lives 2 streets away and said he should be home by 9...

hopefully my BAP for online didn't delete? I think i got rid of the files, maybe not though

It was really fun playing last night. I have 2 suggestions:

1) Obvious suggestion- we should get together and play more OTP on 10 in the next week or so. I'm free tomorrow, or maybe late tonight after the UFC pay per view. Other days work; that's just the soonest.

2) There are achievements for league play:

League Champion: Win an Online League that has at least 4 members (30G)
It's the Playoffs: Complete an Online League playoff match (25G)

I think it'd be nice if we could get 4 of us in a league, playing each opponent once. 3 regular season games per person would be all, and then 2 people would get the playoffs achievement, with 1 getting the champion achievement.

I'd also love to boost the remaining online achievements with you guys. Even stuff like scoring 100 goals in ranked matches wouldn't be hard, since we could probably get damn near 20 goals per game with the other guy puling the goalie. not sure who might be into that, but I'd like to try.

^I'm no fan of boosting that way, you can't do ranked games against friends anyway

If you play 5-8 games a night until 11 comes out, you can earn the 100 goals yourself, it really isn't too hard.

the league is a different story, I was on fire in the last league until it became stagnant, would have at least liked the playoff one.

I had fun last night as well, sorry I didn't do much aside from that tying goal with 5 secs left. Being a random OTP player with no attribute points was rough, I just tried to play position and do my best.

Looking forward to 11.

You can do ranked games against friends with no problems. Just challenge them from your friend list in the player hub.

I don't like playing Versus that much, as opposed to OTP. that's why I wanted to boost.

Well, it would help if we knew when you were online. :p I know I appear offline when I'm trying to stick with one game/group for a while, but with your status, we neither know when you were online last, nor which games you have. :(

Again, lots of fun tonight, even if it sucked losing by 1 goal all the time. I think we played well for the most part, with a couple exceptions (as in games, not people). I would have played more, but it's almost 2 A.M. and I woke up early on Saturday.

If anyone and we only need 3 people- is interested in the league/playoff deal, or if anyone wants to boost ranked achievements (I know people who are not from CAG who can help with those if need be) I'll be around tomorrow.

I changed my status Matt, I had a couple annoying ass friends who would invite me to BF2BC every 20 seconds. So I put a stop to it and took them off my list and blocked communications with them. So If I'm online, I'm online. Only problem is that the PS3 takes up most my time now. But I have been playing Madden 11 and it's not to bad, Hopefully it holds me over till NHL comes out.

Madden 11 for PS3, then? If so, that sucks.

I have MLB 10, LBP, and ModNation as far as online multiplayer games for the PS3. Oh, and Wipeout.

No, for 360. I only have a few games for the PS3. But I tell you what, I'll be getting Smackdown vs Raw 2011 for the PS3. If it was actually EASY to put music on the 360, I would prob get it for that, but I can stick my thumb drive into the PS3 and just put my music on that way. Wish the 360 was that damn simple but no, every time I burn a CD for the 360, the music is either always corrupted or something goes wrong almost 90% of the time I burn a music cd for the 360.

Yea i'm doing the Kmart deal myself since Amazon isn't showing any love.

I'm a casual hockey fan at best, last game I bought was 07 a couple years back for like $10. I liked the new demo and really liked how they did the Hockey Ultimate Team. If Maddens UT could only have been that good....

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't stop playing the demo. At first I thought it was too slow and cumbersome and the passing was still off. After playing countless games, I don't want to go back to the old engine or any other hockey game for that matter. EA managed to make a realistic sim hockey game that appeals to both the casual and hardcore fanbases.

As a hockey player myself, I notice the intricate details that are in the game like the speed, momentum, and weight of a player before I do anything, just like in real life. If I have the puck and I see a dman who is 4 inches taller and about 25lbs heavier than I am, I will look to pass or dump it in to avoid getting smashed. I can't wait for next week!

[quote name='Matt Young']I have had no problems copying music to a 360 using a USB flash drive. Strange.

If you have Madden for the 360, let's play![/QUOTE]

I want to know your secret for putting music on your 360 with a thumb drive. Sure as hell doesn't work for me.

Will Gamestop B&M's be getting this next Tuesday or Wednesday? The website says it ships out on the 7th(Tuesday) but I thought EA Sport games always go on-sale on Tuesdays and ship out on Mondays?

[quote name='ajh2298']Will Gamestop B&M's be getting this next Tuesday or Wednesday? The website says it ships out on the 7th(Tuesday) but I thought EA Sport games always go on-sale on Tuesdays and ship out on Mondays?[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping that stores get it early like Madden so they can have it available when they open. I'm worried that Labor Day will cause a delay if they didn't. All I know is that I'm off on Tuesday for this so they better have it!

Stores should have it early. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't. Aren't some stores even doing midnight launches? With as important as release dates have become to gaming, I'd be surprised if the old "That's the shipping date...but we won't have it till tomorrow" crap becomes a factor.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and close the NHL 10 team thread since people keep bumping it for no apparent reason, lol. I guess I'll make a new thread for the 11 team...even though I was reluctant to since I might not be able to play after December. Although, I will still be on the internet...so I guess at worst, I can just be the CAG Team's "Gordon Bombay", hahaha. :)

[quote name='VipFREAK']So... no love/deals for 11 eh... ? fail.

I guess I'll finally use those Target gift cards...[/QUOTE]

$20 gaming coupon with a purchase at K-Mart is probably the best deal I have seen. I'll probably pick up a copy for my brother there. Looks like they are giving away some gaming coupons if you pick up MS points too. Kmart has actually had some really good deals lately.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264039

My order from GS shipped and I already received my Boost pack code via email. If Monday wasn't a holiday it would probably show up a day early, but it looks like it will be Tuesday for me. Cannot wait!

So, it's a coupon towards another purchase of something? I think I'll probably pass since I don't have a kmart around here and I'm not planning on buying from them. Thanks though.

Yeah, I wish Amazon offered a $20 credit, or even $10. I appreciate Kmart's good deals they've had lately, but I make most of my purchases through Amazon now due to accumulated credit and free Prime from the Amazon student thing using my college e-mail address.

Yea after reading the kmart thread they are saying that the coupon that prints out might not work immediately because people were abusing previous weeks coupons. Due to the location of kmarts around here that could be a real negative for me because ultimately I would like to just get the $20 coupon and pick up a point card or a cheap game so I wouldn't have to go out of my way to head back there again because I think those coupons expire in 30 days. That kmart thread is 300+ pages so it is a bit of a beast to comb through right now.

I was at TRU this morning and they have a B1G1 50% off deal running on select games this week and on the in store signage it had NHL 11 listed as one of the games. It isn't on the website or in the ad, but in store it was listed. It makes sense since they have all the "11" EA games in the ad including the new NHL Slapshot Wii only version. Might be worth checking out if you can find another game you want.

The Target $10 off isn't a bad last resort. At least that matches Amazon's lack of a deal if you do not have Prime.

bread's done
Back