NHL 2012-2013 Season- Let's do this. Games start January 19

[quote name='Canadian_Man']Keep an eye on the heel, especially around the point of contact.

sensgoal_medium.gif

As a hockey player, you can tell the footing as he progresses through his brake is unnatural, even if going for deflection.[/QUOTE]

If you watch both skates at the same time, it's clearly a stopping motion. Angling the heel for a deflection is fine so long as there is no kicking motion, as said above. I completely agree, it was close and could have gone either way.

The thing about the kick/no kick is that your team of choice has probably had that goal taken away more times than not. I'd be upset too if the Wings had a goal like that allowed against them.

Some interesting little tidbits. Vancouver has been 1-10 in the playoffs since leading 3-2 in the Stanley Cup Finals against Boston.
Marc Andre Fleury has let in 40 goals in his last 10 playoff games.

I'm happy the tv station that provides live NHL games here has been showing the Pens/Isles series as it's been an amusing affair so far.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']The thing about the kick/no kick is that your team of choice has probably had that goal taken away more times than not. I'd be upset too if the Wings had a goal like that allowed against them.

Some interesting little tidbits. Vancouver has been 1-10 in the playoffs since leading 3-2 in the Stanley Cup Finals against Boston.
Marc Andre Fleury has let in 40 goals in his last 10 playoff games.

I'm happy the tv station that provides live NHL games here has been showing the Pens/Isles series as it's been an amusing affair so far.[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is I just watched the replay again from two different angles and he actually has a kicking motion AFTER the puck has crossed the line. Both skates were almost perfectly aligned for stopping and right at the end he appears to try and angle his left skate slightly but the puck has already hit it and gone in the net when there is a slight kicking motion. Small miracles. Regardless, 3-1 lead...fingers crossed they can close this out.

Just watching the gif that was posted you can see the left foot goes in first and angles slightly before the right. To me it looks like it starts that he is going to try to kick it in then tries to slowdown and stop. It just has too much of a kicking motion to me to say it was good.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']Would love to see this.[/QUOTE]

You ask and I shall deliver.

My french is a little rusty, but the site I got this discussed these two gifs.

GIF 1 - after the Zibanejad goal was allowed.

GIF 2 - after the Conacher goal.

As for the kicking motion, he isnt even remotely close to stopping on an edge as there would be a snow spray, even just a little bit. Problem is, you don't come into the net hot on your outside foot out that much unless youre ready for a kicking motion. However, "It's the playoffs!" One phrase I keep hating to hear for crap plays, crap suspensions and crappy ref calls.

Thanks for posting the gifs.

They may win tomorrow, but I'm not confident they will comeback to win the series. Still feeling heartbroken/spiritually-robbed from yesterday and with a decimated lineup (seemingly out of nowhere?), I don't think they have enough character to go on with what they've got.

I would love to see the Islanders take out the Penguins :drool::bouncy:

[quote name='Vulcan2422']As for the kicking motion, he isnt even remotely close to stopping on an edge as there would be a snow spray, even just a little bit. Problem is, you don't come into the net hot on your outside foot out that much unless youre ready for a kicking motion. However, "It's the playoffs!" One phrase I keep hating to hear for crap plays, crap suspensions and crappy ref calls.[/QUOTE]

It was the same thing last year only I don't think it was as bad. It seems like when it comes time for the playoffs that excuse is made every year. I really don't see why they allow the shit that wouldn't be allowed in the regular season to happen in the playoffs. Really makes me glad that I can only see a few games a week and the highlights unlike last year.

It was a close call, but ultimately what saved him were two things; 1) he was coming to a stop so as not to steam-roll right into Price, and 2) there was no "distinct kicking motion" thanks to said trying to stop.

That said, According to Rule 49.2 "A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player's skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal."

He angled the puck with his left skate...

Anyway, tonight will be a big game in Montreal. Only Ottawa and Toronto left to represent Canada in the playoffs, and the odds are against Toronto.

EDIT: http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/...ejads-kicked-in-goal-have-counted-last-night/

This article (near the end) makes a good point, a similar point that I made the other day, about how Zibanejad DOES have a kicking motion...after the puck has already gone off his skate and into the net. The play happened so fast that he barely had time to angle the skate (while stopping), and the kicking motion comes AFTER the puck crossed the line. It was a tough call, but I believe they made the right one.

Poor Montreal. Good luck with Budaj I guess.
Got nothing to say about the Wings loss. Go and win on home ice. Then we'll see how Boudreau handles game 7. Actually I don't think it will have any effect at all. I'm just trying to console myself that we're on the brink of elimination.

[quote name='ajh2298']What an effort by the "Great 8" last night back checking on this Rangers goal.

20130509136808541567205.gif
[/QUOTE]

It's not as bad when you see it from other angles as there was probably no way he gets to him in time, but yeah. A little effort would be nice.

He was coasting from the blue line on the other angle. This gif is my favorite of the playoffs so far. It even looks like he glitched.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']Although we were been beaten in 5 games, I honestly don't feel like we were beaten.[/QUOTE]

The Habs really fall apart when a game doesn't go their way...good series regardless, some bad calls on both sides at times.

They give up much too easily. When they're losing, they almost instantly lose team cohesion and its all downhill from there. I remember some stat during the season that had them scoring the first goal something like 23/29 games.

The one thing I will give the Senators big credit for is that they never seem to lose their team composure through the motions. They never seem to quite hit a stride though, where they dominate a game in terms of puck movement either though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SynGamer']

That said, According to Rule 49.2 "A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player's skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal."
[/QUOTE]

It's the playoffs.

Anyways, I'm glad to see the Ottawa Senators AHL team move on. I'm really hoping they win the Keg.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']He was coasting from the blue line on the other angle. This gif is my favorite of the playoffs so far. It even looks like he glitched.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he got an important phone call...or the pizza guy was at the door. Damn, people. Show a little sympathy.

[quote name='DestroVega']It's not as bad when you see it from other angles as there was probably no way he gets to him in time, but yeah. A little effort would be nice.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. He may have fallen asleep. These things happen.

Phew. Relief. I hope they don't play like they did in Games 3/4 on Sunday.

Also, Penner for the Kings scores with 0.2 seconds left in the second to go up 2-1.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I'm surprised that Detroit is actually taking Anaheim to a Game 7.

Curious to see how Toronto's run will turn out.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit win. He has that Washington Capitals loser stench on him. Poor coaching in the playoffs from him.

As for Toronto...I don't think they'll be able to handle the pressure at home, again. They may have been up 2-0 in Game 4, but you could tell nerves got them in that game, and in Game 6, the crowd will be a lot louder, meaning more pressure on the Leafs.

Pulling for the Isles tonight. My team plays the winner of this series and I would feel far more comfortable playing the Isles than I would the Penguins...

[quote name='SynGamer']Pulling for the Isles tonight. My team plays the winner of this series and I would feel far more comfortable playing the Isles than I would the Penguins...[/QUOTE]

They re-seed in the NHL Playoffs.

EAST:
Pittsburgh- New York Islanders: Islanders (I can dream)
Montreal- Ottawa: Senators (Spot on for this one!)
Washington- New York Rangers: Washington
Boston- Toronto: Toronto (I see Boston taking it honestly.)

WEST:
Chicago- Minnesota: Chicago (Spot On for this one!)
Anaheim- Detroit: Detroit
Vancouver- San Jose: San Jose (Spot On for this one!)
St. Louis- Los Angeles: St. Louis (Damn it! I was so close! I was hoping St. Louis would win the series!)

The interesting stat line at the start of the third held true, the Islanders never scored on the power play in all of their losses to the Penguins this year.

[quote name='KingBroly']Pittsburgh advances.

E1 - Pittsburgh Penguins v. E7 - Ottawa Senators[/QUOTE]

Oye, this is going to be tough.

Lets go Sens! I'm honestly hoping they take it all. It's amazing how well the Isles held up with another AHL team. I don't see Pittsburgh going further as I don't see Iginla being a producer at all. Boston really must be happy they didnt get him.

Sens will have a comparably easy time of it if Anderson plays as consistently as he has, and if Bylsma's dumb enough to put MAF in for two games or more.

Sens NEED some better goals. The series with Montreal saw some really odd and lucky goals. They need some playmakers to step up and produce otherwise I feel the Penguins will steamroll them...

I'd love to see the Sens take down the Pens. It definitely would make for some interesting hockey.

Also waiting to the see if the Hawks will be playing the Sharks or the Wings (if they win tonight).

Today's Matchups:
E3 - Washington @ E6 - NY Rangers; 4:30pm EST (Washington leads 3-2)
E4 - Boston @ E5 - Toronto; 7:30pm EST (Boston leads 3-2)
W7 - Detroit @ W2 - Anaheim; 10:00pm EST (Series tied 3-3)

^go leafs!

In other news i can't believe I'm listening to the Detoilets/fucks game. Much less rooting for the detoilets. Go detoilets!

bread's done
Back