NHL 2012-2013 Season- Let's do this. Games start January 19

Yay...my thread got merged and then this was closed again, lol. Not sure what happened there, but thank you to shrike (whom I messaged about it) or whoever took care of this. I was so confused for a little while there, haha. :lol:

I was trying to figure out what was going on with the hockey thread. Open, closed, new thread, closed, merged, still closed.

Eastern Conference team get pretty shafted for playoff spots with the new format, don't they?

[quote name='ced']Eastern Conference team get pretty shafted for playoff spots with the new format, don't they?[/QUOTE]

If you're referring to more teams being in the East, I think the general assumption is that it's in preparation for Western expansion. If you're referring to the amount of good teams in the East...well, it's pretty much always been that way, haha.

Eastern D gets one more team, but they get Columbus. I call that a wash.

(Even if the BJ's are doing well right now, and I'm watching the Flyers try to pretend like Laviolette will still be the team's coach this time next week - I do believe this will reverse itself in the long run.)

As much as I love Laviolette's attitude, I was always under the impression he was the type of coach you hired mid-season to whip up your slumping team (ironic). Can't say I recall him having an extended tenure with any team?

Torterella should be fired before Laviolette. The Flyers have no defense at all, that's why they stink. The Rangers are tired of Angry John's act.

Going to the Sens/Sabres game today. Anyone know when the best time is to try and meet the visiting team? Out back? 1PM (game starts at 3)? My wife is a huge Sens fan so I'd love for her to possibly see them get off the bus or something.

No clue but typically the buses drive into an area where you won't have access to. Though I don't recall how HSBC arena has that set up as I haven't been there in over 10 years.

[quote name='SynGamer']Going to the Sens/Sabres game today. Anyone know when the best time is to try and meet the visiting team? Out back? 1PM (game starts at 3)? My wife is a huge Sens fan so I'd love for her to possibly see them get off the bus or something.[/QUOTE]

Morning skate at about 7 am. Thats when the Lightning practice in their own rink and when they practice at the rink I play at. Plus, it would be hard as most players drive right into the arena or the bus takes them in. Hate to be a buzz kill.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Morning skate at about 7 am. Thats when the Lightning practice in their own rink and when they practice at the rink I play at. Plus, it would be hard as most players drive right into the arena or the bus takes them in. Hate to be a buzz kill.[/QUOTE]

Not a bit deal. We still enjoyed the game, especially after that OT goal by Turris :D

What?! The Detroit Redwings are leaving the Western Division?! The Blues/Redwings rivalry is awesome! :cry:

Send those bastards back to the West to even up the divisions! :bomb:

Detroit's been trying to move East since before Toronto did in 98, they were promised by the league that they'd go at the first opportunity. They made a huge stink when the last proposal had them staying in the West.

Yeah... I've been reading more of the Detroit fan reactions and I guess it makes some sense. I didn't realize they were in the Eastern Time Zone and how many issues its caused when watching the playoffs.

It's going to suck to not have them in the same division, but at the same time I'm sort of glad because it will make it easier for the Blues to finally win the Stanley Cup. The Blues just suck at playing the Red Wings in the playoffs.

Blues just traded D'Agostini to the Devils. I know some Blues fans that will be happy about this so I'm wondering what Devil fans are thinking.

He's off his skates prior to making contact, too, making it even more awful that there was no call at all.

A 3rd/4th line dude would get 3 games for that, easy.

Google brought up this suspension for Ovechkin (when, incidentally, googling for Malkin).

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...3-games-launching-himself-pens-235120566.html

Don't think Malkin or Crosby have ever been suspended. James Neal (I think?) definitely deserved one for headhunting against the Flyers in the 2012 playoff series (though I'm naturally speaking from a position of bias). I think, in that game (don't recall which # game) Aaron Asham rec'd a 1-game for some hit. Not Neal.

Slickkil and my self are.

When you have four powerplays and no shots on goal, its time to rebuild. I feel as if a goaltending coach needs the boot as well. I feel as if Stamkos, Vinny and Marty are safe but a big name will be going very soon. I wish it was Vinny honestly. Free up cap space and get either a great D or a good goaltender. I just dont see Lindback being the Lightnings top goalie, he will be second string. Another problem is the D. They need to go for the check when it's there. There is no aggression at all. Thats why I'm a fan of Radko Gudas. He's a hard hitting player who will go for the check.

The system was a lot of the issue. It worked really well his first year because people didn't know what to do against it. Unfortunately his system was so defensively minded that we just don't have the players to execute it. This team has had a number of issues under Boucher/Yzerman: Lack of shots on the power play despite some of the best offensive players in the league. Too many short handed goals given up. Maybe I don't watch enough hockey around the league but the Lightning give up a lot of them. Slow starts etc...

Yzerman needs to find a goalie asap or he should be shown the door too. Lindback may have it, but he's still iffy and looks like a backup as Vulcan said. I said it earlier in this thread, but way too many teams find great goalies, even if they are one hit wonders, for the Lightning not to find someone. Viktor Fasth is a 30 year old rookie playing for the Ducks and he has a 2.15 GAA and 11 wins. A lot of the Lightning's issues are defensive as well.

I'm happy with way the CBJ have been playing this season. Granted, last night was painful but Bob and the team were due for s letdown (12 game point streak snapped :cry:). However, there is a lot of fight in this team. Finally, with changes to the front office and three first round picks in the draft this year. I like the future of this team. That said if this starts a losing streak and they go into the tank that just means a better opportunity at getting the first pick in the draft.

Getting top draft picks hasn't helped the Oilers much. Just something that came to my mind. As for the Blue Jackets sudden surge I made a claim that they won't make the playoffs this year. Wouldn't want to look foolish if they manage to get a spot.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Something awesome I stumbled upon on reddit. http://www.nhlwheelofjustice.com/[/QUOTE]

I'm loving the Boston and Todd Bertuzzi presets :applause:

D'Agostini was looking like a fair prospect back with the Habs, looked like a good 3rd liner, shame to see he hasn't developped since then?

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']Getting top draft picks hasn't helped the Oilers much. Just something that came to my mind. As for the Blue Jackets sudden surge I made a claim that they won't make the playoffs this year. Wouldn't want to look foolish if they manage to get a spot.[/QUOTE]

Good point but I think the Oilers are ready to make another run. That is a bunch of young talent to not be a playoff contender soon.

I'm not convinced they will either. However, this is the closest they have came in awhile and I'm optimistic. The road will not be easy though lots of good teams still to play again.

Hmm...

raskbwahahaha.gif

[quote name='Canadian_Man']How are they managing to stay under the cap? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

I think the cap is all out of whack this year because of the lockout. I think they had like 8-9 million to spend at the start of the season. So that amount gets pro-rated and goes up the closer you get to the trade deadline.

Good for the Pens. Secretly happy Ken Holland didn't make a play for him. By the way what do the Flames really get in those two players? I don't care about first round picks. Doesn't mean enough to me.

It's sad when an NHL player is put down to the AHL and replaced with an AHL player. Elliott is being sent down to Peoria for some games for reconditioning. I look for St. Louis to make a lot of changes or at least try to during the off season. They will be lucky to make it to the playoffs based on the way they have been playing.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']By the way what do the Flames really get in those two players? I don't care about first round picks. Doesn't mean enough to me.[/QUOTE]
This year's draft is suppose to be pretty good. Even then, that 1st round pick will practically be a 2nd round based on where Pittsburgh will likely finish at the end of the playoffs.

bread's done
Back