NHL 2012-2013 Season- Let's do this. Games start January 19

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419405

Alright. Red Wings are looking at improving the defense. It's no secret that the blue line has suffered since Lidstrom retired and some haven't performed like expected (White has had a rough season being a healthy scratch, Erricsson is well not so great). I recall myself being harsh on Quincey when he joined the squad again but he's turned out to be fine with one of the best +/- on the team. The defense has been a work in progress this shortened season so here's hoping this signing strengthens the D.

The two players Pittsburgh gave up are absolute nobodies, neither was one of their top 10 prospects. Only significant piece is the late 1st.

Boston's offer was much better as it had the 1st, a legit prospect, and a bubble ahl/nhl guy who could play for Calgary right now. Iginla fucked Calgary and fucked Boston by being disingenuous about his intentions, he didn't have a list of 4 teams, he had a list of one.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']How are they managing to stay under the cap? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

1. they had a ton of cap room at the beginning of the season
2. the cap is calculated every day so the closer you get to the trade deadline the more space you have. and in the playoffs there's no cap or roster limit at all

[quote name='dafoomie']The two players Pittsburgh gave up are absolute nobodies, neither was one of their top 10 prospects. Only significant piece is the late 1st.

Boston's offer was much better as it had the 1st, a legit prospect, and a bubble ahl/nhl guy who could play for Calgary right now. Iginla fucked Calgary and fucked Boston by being disingenuous about his intentions, he didn't have a list of 4 teams, he had a list of one.[/QUOTE]

boo hoo hoo a guy who got a NTC in his contract used it to go where he wanted. if that's so terrible maybe GMs shouldn't hand them out like candy

I'm so torn: I haaaaate Pittsburgh with every fiber of my being. No Pens fans is worth a fuck when 5 years ago Lemieux was partying at every Las Vegas buffet he could trying to find a new home for the team. Fair weather scum of the highest order in this town (with the peculiar exception of the Pirates, but I have nothing to say on that one).

But I also haaaate the Bruins, Boston sports fans, and Jeremy Jacobs.

One must be gleeful and one must be miserable, but they are distinctly related to each other - so while I love the misery of Bruins fans' right now (and reading the comments section on an SB Nation article on the trade, seeing excitement transition to hesitancy to outright misery to fury - bloody incredible theater), the fact that it makes Pens fans happy dulls the sensations a bit.

At least they're contenders. Me? Well, I got baseball starting tomorrow, that's how well my team's hockey season is going. That Peter Laviolette hasn't been fired yet blows my mind.

[quote name='mykevermin']Fair weather scum of the highest order in this town (with the peculiar exception of the Pirates, but I have nothing to say on that one).[/QUOTE]

what towns aren't? people like their teams better when they win, film at 11

Never liked Don Cherry but my god does the whole Coaches Corner now piss me off with the Maple Leafs not being terrible. This is like some Dallas Cowboys or New York Yankees ball washing by ESPN.

Looking forward to watching Wings vs Blackhawks today. Chicago has been dominating us in the regular season for some time now and the games this year were close and fun (I think both were 2-1). Since Chicago has been a little more mortal since the end of their streak I'm hoping the Wings can grab 2 points.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']what towns aren't? people like their teams better when they win, film at 11[/QUOTE]

Many towns are, certainly - but how many of those towns' teams actively and openly are shopping for a new city to move to because they aren't financially viable in their current town? A team angling to get the city to pay for a new stadium by threatening to move is one thing (and a very unfortunate thing, yet not the topic of conversation), but looking to move because you can't afford to stay is another. Pittsburgh is in the latter category.

So that, to me, is the distinction.

That was tough to watch. All hope was gone after the quick 2nd period goals. Sure there were lots of shots on net but rarely were there any scoring chances. Abysmal way to celebrate Gordie Howe's birthday. Gustavsson didn't play well either after replacing Howard.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']what towns aren't? people like their teams better when they win, film at 11[/QUOTE]

Love when Tampa wins, but even when they lose we still support them and still a sold out crowd. Even with the playoff hopes gone, still a sold out stadium.

Myke, you see the picture of of Eric Lindros? Holy shit dude, talk about letting your self go.

As to what Myke said, it was really classy of Vinick to dish out his own money for the Stadium. He believes in that much of the community. Hell, with the lockout, nobody lost their job at all and even got two weeks vacation. He is probably one of the classiest owners really helping the community and not caring if he gets that money back. When the lockout was still in effect, he was still giving away 50k to a community hero for every home game. I just wish more owners were like Vinick.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Myke, you see the picture of of Eric Lindros? Holy shit dude, talk about letting your self go.[/quote]

I saw a photo a few weeks back at a celebrity game where he was stretching his sweater and it didn't look like he was wearing any gear underneath it. Also, extra laffs for the Dallas Stars' helmet he had on. :lol:

As to what Myke said, it was really classy of Vinick to dish out his own money for the Stadium. He believes in that much of the community. Hell, with the lockout, nobody lost their job at all and even got two weeks vacation. He is probably one of the classiest owners really helping the community and not caring if he gets that money back. When the lockout was still in effect, he was still giving away 50k to a community hero for every home game. I just wish more owners were like Vinick.

Between what you're saying here and the $200 season tickets you mentioned weeks back, that's a straight up classy owner for sure. Tampa's lucky to have that kind of dude.

Starting to feel bad for the Stars. The fans only get a few months of Jagr and the team has now given up this season. A real waste by Joe Nieuwendyk.

Not a bad trade deadline. Columbus landing Gaborik sure caught me off guard and I wonder who will benefit the most from the Ottawa/Tampa trade (Conacher for Bishop). I know who my most hated team in the west is for the rest of the season. San Jose for acquiring Torres. Two things that made me chuckle is Redden going to the Bruins (do the Bruins really need him?) and Vancouver for not being able to solve their Luongo issue. Though for Luongo I can see him being viable after the end of the season when some team may get very desperate for a starting goaltender.

Doubt it. His GAA isn't that far off from Lindbacks. Solve the D problem first and then work on a goalie. Honestly, the goalie coach needs to go as it was either Mike Smith or another goalie that said that once he stopped listening to the goalie coach and did his own thing, he played much better. Conacher slowed down without Vinny and getting Hall and putting him on waivers made no sense. Maybe Yzerman will be next on the chopping block. I will say, watch out for Radko Gudas, kid has a lot of potential and actually goes for the check. If they trade him I'll lose faith in this club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmEsz3oPkI0

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Doubt it. His GAA isn't that far off from Lindbacks. Solve the D problem first and then work on a goalie. Honestly, the goalie coach needs to go as it was either Mike Smith or another goalie that said that once he stopped listening to the goalie coach and did his own thing, he played much better. Conacher slowed down without Vinny and getting Hall and putting him on waivers made no sense. Maybe Yzerman will be next on the chopping block. I will say, watch out for Radko Gudas, kid has a lot of potential and actually goes for the check. If they trade him I'll lose faith in this club.
[/QUOTE]

It was old man Dwayne that said that about the goalie coach last year. Bishops GAA is almost .5 lower (2.44 v 2.88) and his save percentage is much better .922 vs .902
If he doesn't look like a statue out there and give up soft goals he's automatically better than Lindback. A lot of our young guys look really good that we've been calling up lately. Hopefully they swing another deal or two for some of the older guys that they have

Looks like Marc Andre was the only other deal we made besides some minor league swap

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll miss Dorsett :cry: NY is getting one heck of a player! However, so long Mason and Brassard. :bouncy: Also, not giving up any of the 1st round picks = WIN!!

JD is flying to NY to pick up Gaborik right now to pick him up and take him down to Nashville to suit up tomorrow night! :D

Very excited! \\:D/

He can score and hopefully just needed a change of scenery.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419794

Oh my. Washington has got to be kidding for waiting this long to announce "MARTIN ERAT EVERYBODY!!!". Anyways good for Nashville getting a top of the line prospect. Nice job by Poile for fleecing the Caps.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am very excited about this trade. It's been pretty much universally known that Nashville needed a true scorer. Erat isn't a bad player, but the Preds are full of guys like him...decent two way players who pass well and can put up around 25 goals. Fisher, Legwand, Wilson, Hornqvist, etc. Those guys can all do exactly what Martin Erat does. Hopefully Forsberg will be the 40 goal scorer Nashville has never had. I'm a little disappointed the they got rid of Scott Hannan for only a 7th round pick though...but I know he didn't fit into the team's long-term plans.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Hands down most hilarious trade has to be Mason going to Philly. LOL[/QUOTE]

Even funnier is the fact that the goalie they traded away last summer to CLS beat Mason out for the job this year

Good for the Bluejackets. Their fan(s) suffered enough. Bobs is a helluva goalie (I miss him dearly, but he deserves to be a starter somewhere), and picking up Gaborik is a brilliant maneuver. I'm happy to see them making sincere efforts to build a solid core and get to the playoffs.

Meanwhile, we acquired Steve Mason from y'all. Big deal, though I guess this means that we now have a backup goalie that the coaching have some modicum of faith in (which is more than could be said for Boucher or Leighton). There are also some delusional people talking about Mason being the starter in Philly next year, claiming we'll amnesty Bryz after this season. Which would be an idiotic maneuver, and that realization increases the likelihood that it will happen. :lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']There are also some delusional people talking about Mason being the starter in Philly next year, claiming we'll amnesty Bryz after this season. Which would be an idiotic maneuver, and that realization increases the likelihood that it will happen. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't try to undo that 8 yr (whatever it was) mistake. No reason to have 2 starters right... ? lol

[quote name='slickkill77']It was old man Dwayne that said that about the goalie coach last year. Bishops GAA is almost .5 lower (2.44 v 2.88) and his save percentage is much better .922 vs .902
If he doesn't look like a statue out there and give up soft goals he's automatically better than Lindback. A lot of our young guys look really good that we've been calling up lately. Hopefully they swing another deal or two for some of the older guys that they have

Looks like Marc Andre was the only other deal we made besides some minor league swap[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind Bishop has been *nearly* phenominal since replacing Anderson when he went out on injury. And during Bishops time this year, he's been playing for a team that doesn't have Spezza, Karlsson, Michalek, Anderson. That's two of their top forwards, one of their best D, and their top goalie. No pressure ;)

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']Starting to feel bad for the Stars. The fans only get a few months of Jagr and the team has now given up this season. A real waste by Joe Nieuwendyk.[/QUOTE]
They got a lot back in picks/prospects for guys they'd lose anyway. The Ryder for Cole deal was questionable but they can build around Benn and Eriksson with cap space in a year where few teams will have it. If your ambition this season isn't to win the Cup, what's the point of holding on to them?

[quote name='dafoomie']They got a lot back in picks/prospects for guys they'd lose anyway. The Ryder for Cole deal was questionable but they can build around Benn and Eriksson with cap space in a year where few teams will have it. If your ambition this season isn't to win the Cup, what's the point of holding on to them?[/QUOTE]
I understand that they are rebuilding. It's just that the idea for this season was clearly playoffs and the team never was a threat from the start. I mean yeah I remember that Dallas was going for a youth movement and then suddenly grab Jagr and Whitney. Raising hopes for the year but it turned out that these signings were pointless.

[quote name='slickkill77']Yep Bishop already looks like a real goalie and we're only 1.5 periods in. It can only go down from here I guess[/QUOTE]

Seriously, who is this Tampa team and what have they done with the regular players? Bishop has been great tonight and Tampa is producing some great-looking goals. That 4th goal was buttery smooth.

Game one, goalie coach didn't get a hold of him yet. Just wait! 45 saves, but I also don't think Carolina is the best team to test him against. Glad they got the win but I'm still not fully convinced.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Game one, goalie coach didn't get a hold of him yet. Just wait! 45 saves, but I also don't think Carolina is the best team to test him against. Glad they got the win but I'm still not fully convinced.[/QUOTE]

Vulcan can we not just enjoy our first shutout?

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Fiiinnnnneeeee.

Good game Bishop[/QUOTE]

Stop being such a Negative Nancy. You don't want everyone to call you Nancy, do you? lol

In other news, it seems that Nashville has decided that being the #8 seed in the playoffs really isn't any better than not making the playoffs. I can't say that I blame them. The Forsberg trade kind of indicated the same thing. Scrap this crazy shortened season. Start building for the future.

The most eventful thing to happen at the Preds game last night.

http://video.predators.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=236144&lang=en

Pretty impressive. Wish it was me! lol

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Stop being such a Negative Nancy. You don't want everyone to call you Nancy, do you? lol

In other news, it seems that Nashville has decided that being the #8 seed in the playoffs really isn't any better than not making the playoffs. I can't say that I blame them. The Forsberg trade kind of indicated the same thing. Scrap this crazy shortened season. Start building for the future.

The most eventful thing to happen at the Preds game last night.

http://video.predators.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=236144&lang=en

Pretty impressive. Wish it was me! lol[/QUOTE]

Well

ks_stanley-cup_blog.jpg

You never know...

I still picture Carter and Richards as having Flyers' jerseys on whenever I see them.

Even if I still maintain we did get a *lot* in return for that trade, controversial as it was/is.

[quote name='mykevermin']I still picture Carter and Richards as having Flyers' jerseys on whenever I see them.

Even if I still maintain we did get a *lot* in return for that trade, controversial as it was/is.[/QUOTE]

I still picture Carter banging Hartnell's ex-wife when i see him.

Charming.

That certainly relieves me of any guilt I may have felt for laughing my ass off at Crosby's jaw being shattered, so thanks for that.

Gaborik already showed positives last night.

1 G, 1 A, 4 SOG

The game vs the Blues along with the rest of the games this season are very important.

Don't know about the east, but in the west that 8th seed is going to be a fight. Every team is within a few points of each other for it. So no one can really afford a loss. I see teams bouncing back and forth in that spot all the way till the end of the regular season.

[quote name='sendme']Don't know about the east, but in the west that 8th seed is going to be a fight. Every team is within a few points of each other for it. So no one can really afford a loss. I see teams bouncing back and forth in that spot all the way till the end of the regular season.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, it is going to be quite a race for next few weeks.

[quote name='sendme']Don't know about the east, but in the west that 8th seed is going to be a fight. Every team is within a few points of each other for it. So no one can really afford a loss. I see teams bouncing back and forth in that spot all the way till the end of the regular season.[/QUOTE]

That's why I think the Predators two trades showed that they're backing out of it. They traded two NHL players for a prospect and a draft pick. It wouldn't surprise me if they started giving guys (Rinne especially) more rest too. The last thing you want is an injury at the end of a season you've given up on.

Blues have done the same. They traded D'Agostini for a conditional fourth or fifth round pick in the 2015 NHL draft and a conditional seventh-round pick in 2015 to the Devils and just traded Redden for a conditional 2014 7th round draft pick. The pick becomes a 2014 6th round pick if Redden plays one or more playoff games with the Bruins. I'm not to happy about the Redden trade however they did just pick up Leopold and Bouwmeester. I have not been able to see the games since they picked them up due to work. I saw some last night however I was in and out of it due to the lack of sleep. Boumeester seemed good.

Who's that in 3rd place in the Eastern Conference? Is it that them rascally Washington Capitals? I believe it is! :)

[quote name='KingBroly']Who's that in 3rd place in the Eastern Conference? Is it that them rascally Washington Capitals? I believe it is! :)[/QUOTE]

The conference that's so lousy that being knocked to 2nd place means a one-way ticket to 10th in the division?

I noticed you had been extraordinarily quiet so far this season, was wondering if you were fair-weather or not. Thanks for confirming.

[quote name='mykevermin']The conference that's so lousy that being knocked to 2nd place means a one-way ticket to 10th in the division?[/QUOTE]
Couldn't have said it better :applause:

Pity too when you consider some of the teams in the division.

[quote name='mykevermin']The conference that's so lousy that being knocked to 2nd place means a one-way ticket to 10th in the division?

I noticed you had been extraordinarily quiet so far this season, was wondering if you were fair-weather or not. Thanks for confirming.[/QUOTE]

I've been pretty busy with other things, but it's not like I have time to check in here on a day to day basis. Sometimes I check, but I really haven't had the urge to post. I know the Caps didn't even try early on, leading me to turn the games off pure disgust. But no, I'm not a fair weather fan. The Washington Capitals are the first team I ever went to a home game for (93' vs. the Islanders), and the first sports team I ever rooted for. I know the heartbreak of them losing so many times that you do have to distance yourselves from time to time (pretty much like every DC sports team, since that heartbreak seems to happen to every DC sports team [see: Nationals of last year]).

bread's done
Back