Ni No Kuni out January 22, 2013

[quote name='Romeo']Can you feed a familiar infinitely? I'm afraid to feed any one anything right until I know. And also, are the gold DLC characters skins that override the current characters or entirely different familiars? I have the gold Mitey and don't know if he will start at lv1 or not.

Finally, I'm looking for the amazon Griffy code! I have a flutterby to trade![/QUOTE]

The familiars get full, and in time you can feed them again.

If the Gold Hurley(#445) from the guide is any indication the Mitey will be lvl 1 and a new familiar with its own number in the Creature Compendium.

So I'm 26 hrs into the game so far and I'm having a blast. Want to give a tip to those who are at or going to Porcine Palace in Hamelin.
I found sparkee (Aquatica class monster you get near Castaway cove) to be valuable in the Porco Grosso Boss fight. His Miracle Move does massive thunder damage which will help you greatly. So use those gold glims on him ASAP. I would advise controlling Ester during the fight so you can use that Miracle Move effectively.

I picked it up on Friday and I'm loving it so far. I haven't had time to play as much as I'd like to though. I'm about 8-9 hours in.

My Best Buy hadn't even put them on the shelves yet and it took me forever to find someone to retrieve them, but I got it, so I was happy.

Can you ever purchase or get receipies to make better treats? Feeding familiars with the standard treats takes way too long once you've leveled a trait 2-3 times. I know you can get better treats as rewards/from quests/battle but that's pretty rare and you only get a few.

[quote name='Vinny']Can you ever purchase or get receipies to make better treats? Feeding familiars with the standard treats takes way too long once you've leveled a trait 2-3 times. I know you can get better treats as rewards/from quests/battle but that's pretty rare and you only get a few.[/QUOTE]

Make it a point to talk to every NPC as you get into new towns. They're not marked on your map, but I've found two just standing around who both gave me an abundance of formulae. I can make up to tier 3 treats now, I believe.

Also, considering how little I enjoyed the demo, this game is eating my soul. I've somehow dropped 27 hours into it already. Can't get enough.

[quote name='Vinny']Well, he said "MP heal" I figured he was talking about a spell.

This is basically how I feel about this game. There's a lot of small issues but I'm been addicted to this game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shadowkast']i saw the MP heal comment and just let it slide[/QUOTE]

I wrote that up wrong guys i meant a revive spell and something other than ice tea to replenish MP.

23 hours in and ive only came across 1 pheonix feather lol

[quote name='Vinny']Can you ever purchase or get receipies to make better treats? Feeding familiars with the standard treats takes way too long once you've leveled a trait 2-3 times. I know you can get better treats as rewards/from quests/battle but that's pretty rare and you only get a few.[/QUOTE]
Talk to the NPC in a purple coat outside Swift Solutions in Hamelin for the T3 treats. Other recipes usually come from more obscure tasks and usually require some hard to get materials.
[quote name='Souljah']I wrote that up wrong guys i meant a revive spell and something other than ice tea to replenish MP.

23 hours in and ive only came across 1 pheonix feather lol[/QUOTE]Upsy-Daisy makes the game even easier, especially in arena fights (no items allowed) so I'm glad they don't give you access early in the game. The familiar you want is a Toko or you can evolve the Thumblelemur you get to an Aye-Aye Catcher for the same spell.

[quote name='Loonknight']The familiars get full, and in time you can feed them again.

If the Gold Hurley(#445) from the guide is any indication the Mitey will be lvl 1 and a new familiar with its own number in the Creature Compendium.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Cannot wait to play again soon!

I've been nervous about feeding any of them, that if there is a cap, I could feed them the 'wrong' food, boosting stats that aren't the most beneficial for a particular familiar, then capping the food, not allowing me to boost beneficial stats.

Talk to the lady on the boat with the basket on her head in Castaway Cove for some more recipes. Jodou mentions the other one that I know of so far.

Edit: Seems another recipe giver can be found at
Skull Mountain. It is the pirate shipmate on the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still confused on how this feeding thing works. I get that familiars have their favorite food, and specific foods raise specific stats. What I don't get how the fullness works, IE can you only feed them let's say 50 treats, but if I feed Mitey 50 treats that increase magic attack (which is pointless), does that bar me from feeding him 50 chocolate afterwards?

[quote name='IanKazimer']Make it a point to talk to every NPC as you get into new towns. They're not marked on your map, but I've found two just standing around who both gave me an abundance of formulae. I can make up to tier 3 treats now, I believe.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jodou']Talk to the NPC in a purple coat outside Swift Solutions in Hamelin for the T3 treats. Other recipes usually come from more obscure tasks and usually require some hard to get materials.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks you two. I just got into Hamelin and so this is definitely nice to know... three of my familiars are maxed out and regular treats take forever.

Also, I just remembered that I haven't talked to Father Oak since talking to him after finishing Ding Dong Dell. I talked to him after Teehiti (that fairy island) but before Hamelin and figured the rewards would stack but I only got one for Teehiti. Bummer... but not sure I care that much, no way I'd want to make that long as trip back after each area.

[quote name='Vinny']Thanks you two. I just got into Hamelin and so this is definitely nice to know... three of my familiars are maxed out and regular treats take forever.

Also, I just remembered that I haven't talked to Father Oak since talking to him after finishing Ding Dong Dell. I talked to him after Teehiti (that fairy island) but before Hamelin and figured the rewards would stack but I only got one for Teehiti. Bummer... but not sure I care that much, no way I'd want to make that long as trip back after each area.[/QUOTE]

I just beat the Trials then went back to the Woods. There was a brief commentary but no awards given.

So do I have to constantly walk back and forth all the damn time in the hopes I don't miss anything rewarding from him?

[quote name='Romeo']I'm still confused on how this feeding thing works. I get that familiars have their favorite food, and specific foods raise specific stats. What I don't get how the fullness works, IE can you only feed them let's say 50 treats, but if I feed Mitey 50 treats that increase magic attack (which is pointless), does that bar me from feeding him 50 chocolate afterwards?[/QUOTE]

The way I understand it is that "Fullness" is basically another term for "I'm full, I can't eat anymore right now." and you're able to feed him more by either doing stuff with him for a while or just letting time pass by in-game. Higher tiered/level food will make your familiar more full than lower tier food on a per food basis.

The number on the right #/10 I assume is how many times I can feed a familiar until they won't take anymore food. Not sure if it can be increased or reduced as I haven't experimented with it, but it doesn't go down from evolving.

[quote name='Romeo']I just beat the Trials then went back to the Woods. There was a brief commentary but no awards given.

So do I have to constantly walk back and forth all the damn time in the hopes I don't miss anything rewarding from him?[/QUOTE]

I decided to look this up... and it seems like it. Some spoilers, obviously but you can probably figure out where to stop scrolling.
http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/01/ni-no-kuni-old-father-oak-rewards/

[quote name='Romeo']I'm still confused on how this feeding thing works. I get that familiars have their favorite food, and specific foods raise specific stats. What I don't get how the fullness works, IE can you only feed them let's say 50 treats, but if I feed Mitey 50 treats that increase magic attack (which is pointless), does that bar me from feeding him 50 chocolate afterwards?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Draekon']The way I understand it is that "Fullness" is basically another term for "I'm full, I can't eat anymore right now." and you're able to feed him more by either doing stuff with him for a while or just letting time pass by in-game. Higher tiered/level food will make your familiar more full than lower tier food on a per food basis.

The number on the right #/10 I assume is how many times I can feed a familiar until they won't take anymore food. Not sure if it can be increased or reduced as I haven't experimented with it, but it doesn't go down from evolving.[/QUOTE]

If you take a look at (This is a trophy guide from someone who had played the jp version):
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/ni...i-wrath-white-witch-trophy-guide-roadmap.html

Under the Imajinn-ary Friend section it shows a little more info how the feeding system works. From what I read it seems that even when you reach the max bonus point limit that food will still apply to the familiar to reach the next heart tier (Have to work off its Fullness meter before applying more food though). Also it seems like tier 4 and tier 5 is going to take a crap ton of food =/.

Loving the game still, half way through Chapter 3

I have a Golden Hurley DLC code, if anybody wants it for $10 Amazon credit, PM me

Compared to most of you guys I'm moving at a snails pace. I got it at launch and just got Esther on my team.

I keep hearing about the difficulty but I haven't had any problems yet. I'm guessing it'll ramp up soon. My friend was telling me about a boss fight coming up where she got stuck for 40 minutes trying to beat it.

[quote name='cabhills']If you take a look at (This is a trophy guide from someone who had played the jp version):
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/ni...i-wrath-white-witch-trophy-guide-roadmap.html

Under the Imajinn-ary Friend section it shows a little more info how the feeding system works. From what I read it seems that even when you reach the max bonus point limit that food will still apply to the familiar to reach the next heart tier (Have to work off its Fullness meter before applying more food though). Also it seems like tier 4 and tier 5 is going to take a crap ton of food =/.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I need some help now with familiar morphs, before I go screw something up.

We all kmow that when you morph they reset to lv1. What I want to know is do they forgot all their movies and start fresh too? Example: Mitey learns ray gun at lv50. If I get him to lv50 then morph him' does he keep that move? Or is it best to morph them right away, as soon as possible?

[quote name='Romeo']Thank you. I need some help now with familiar morphs, before I go screw something up.

We all kmow that when you morph they reset to lv1. What I want to know is do they forgot all their movies and start fresh too? Example: Mitey learns ray gun at lv50. If I get him to lv50 then morph him' does he keep that move? Or is it best to morph them right away, as soon as possible?[/QUOTE]

My understanding is whatever moves you learn prior to morphing is retained, FYI try to find a better main familiar for Oliver instead of Mite (and his future evolutions) because at end of the day he has 3rd lowest physical attack (out of almost 400 familiars) and skills aren't useful at all pass chapter 3 (early game) I would recommend catching that Cat familiar (the cat with the sword, forgot name) but can be captured outside of Cove Town. I am using the cat as my main, higher state increases then mite, and move set more useful later game. He is also after all evolutions in the top 10 familiars.

[quote name='Poor2More']I would recommend catching that Cat familiar (the cat with the sword, forgot name) but can be captured outside of Cove Town. [/QUOTE]

Purrloiner. And I agree 100%. Turns into a beast of a familiar and still holds its own in the later chapters.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Purrloiner. And I agree 100%. Turns into a beast of a familiar and still holds its own in the later chapters.[/QUOTE]

Yep Purrloiner is the one : ) fantastic familiar

[quote name='Romeo']I've been nervous about feeding any of them, that if there is a cap, I could feed them the 'wrong' food, boosting stats that aren't the most beneficial for a particular familiar, then capping the food, not allowing me to boost beneficial stats.[/QUOTE]
There is a food stat cap of +50 from whichever stats you choose. Usually it is better to boost the main attack stat, either physical or magic (almost always the highest stat for a familiar) since it will scale with character synergy to add a few more additional points.[quote name='Poor2More']My understanding is whatever moves you learn prior to morphing is retained, FYI try to find a better main familiar for Oliver instead of Mite (and his future evolutions) because at end of the day he has 3rd lowest physical attack (out of almost 400 familiars) and skills aren't useful at all pass chapter 3 (early game) I would recommend catching that Cat familiar (the cat with the sword, forgot name) but can be captured outside of Cove Town. I am using the cat as my main, higher state increases then mite, and move set more useful later game. He is also after all evolutions in the top 10 familiars.[/QUOTE]
Mite is still very strong throughout the game until you can access Dinoceros. I currently have a Dynamite that with warcry up can cut lose for 200 across all enemies. One boss fight comes to mind where having such an OP aoe attack that you can almost spam will really help. He's still a very solid contender but usually takes a backseat to my Puss in Boats whenever I don't need fire attacks or his aoe.

And honestly, I've never needed any of my third slot familiars for any character, so keeping him around isn't going to gimp you in any way.

So I got the receipts for both the 2nd and 3rd level treats... but I might as well have not bothered. The ingredients needed are a PITA to track down and expensive (besides the base treats, that is). It wouldn't have been as a bad if there was a faster way to travel (which would also be useful for some of these quests). That was a pointless endeavor.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Purrloiner. And I agree 100%. Turns into a beast of a familiar and still holds its own in the later chapters.[/QUOTE]

You mean that cat that's kinda like pirate? I have him in his second form and just a few levels below my other familiars and he doesn't seem that great... I was about to dump him but looks like I'll have to keep training him. I've started to use this stringray thing (Hoo Ray or something was his 1st stage, not sure what his 2nd one is called) that's pretty good.

[quote name='Vinny']You mean that cat that's kinda like pirate? I have him in his second form and just a few levels below my other familiars and he doesn't seem that great... I was about to dump him but looks like I'll have to keep training him. I've started to use this stringray thing (Hoo Ray or something was his 1st stage, not sure what his 2nd one is called) that's pretty good.[/QUOTE]
His evasion and attack speed are where he shines. I put him in a misty shroud to give him 10% more evasion and he barely gets hit now outside of magic attacks. He's around level 40 final form now and hits for around 90, but in rapid succession it adds up. He also gets strong dark attacks for when you need that (fairly rare though).

Oh and maddening shout is amazing since he pulls all aggro and just evasion tanks everything while my Griffy and Bone Baron use conal aoe attacks to just rape them.

I just want to confirm this though... Once a familiar learn every learnable trick, there is no possible negative side effect for morphing them, correct? You'd be a fool not to?

Right now thumbelemur, drongo, flutterby, and seed sprite are morphable. All have all learnable techniques. Is there any reason not to morph them? Or if I morph them at a higher level will the next form starting level start with higher stats or does that not matter?

Is there a resource that explains all this familiar stuff? I just started and I am about two or so hours in. Haven't even got the ability to recruit familiars yet but it would be nice to know.

Loving this game.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Is there a resource that explains all this familiar stuff? I just started and I am about two or so hours in. Haven't even got the ability to recruit familiars yet but it would be nice to know.

Loving this game.[/QUOTE]

I'm around 12 hours in and loving it, except now this whole familiar and morphing crap is driving me nuts.

I've been following this thread here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/65295773

[quote name='Romeo']I just want to confirm this though... Once a familiar learn every learnable trick, there is no possible negative side effect for morphing them, correct? You'd be a fool not to?

Right now thumbelemur, drongo, flutterby, and seed sprite are morphable. All have all learnable techniques. Is there any reason not to morph them? Or if I morph them at a higher level will the next form starting level start with higher stats or does that not matter?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Is there a resource that explains all this familiar stuff? I just started and I am about two or so hours in. Haven't even got the ability to recruit familiars yet but it would be nice to know.

Loving this game.[/QUOTE]
Not sure if this will help answer your questions, but I made a post explaining familiar leveling in-depth. Let me know if you have anything to add to that.
[quote name='Romeo']I'm around 12 hours in and loving it, except now this whole familiar and morphing crap is driving me nuts.

I've been following this thread here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/65295773[/QUOTE]Good god that's high level information. Stats and combat are two different things, so I wouldn't just use that information when deciding on familiars.

I really need to stop leveling up all these new familiars I keep grabbing and continue the story. Apparently I've won 1,000 battles now.

Most surprising familiar that I've liked so far is the Monolith, super high defense with physical resistance.

I must've skipped something but i didnt even know of the Synergy stuff for familiars.

Someone made a spreadsheet of every (or at least 250) familiar's end stats:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5652367/Familiars.xlsx

This seems like it'd be quite useful as I do have a hard time determining if I should bother leveling up new familiars I find at level 1/10 vs. just sticking with my level 30-40 familiars I have now since I don't know how the stats will end up for the level 1/10

[quote name='Loonknight']I really need to stop leveling up all these new familiars I keep grabbing and continue the story. Apparently I've won 1,000 battles now.

Most surprising familiar that I've liked so far is the Monolith, super high defense with physical resistance.[/QUOTE]

Monolith is the shit. Even better once you get him to tier 2 and learn Yoo-Hoo. He's a super tank from that point onward.

Tombs question and did you catch it earlier?

so I got to the tombs and "died". I passed the house and followed one of the trails where it's a dead end. Was I supposed to anything there or is it part of the story line. I'm thinking it's the casino too but unsure.

It's a hunch but I'm assuming Swaine is the older brother. It clicked when he got a gun but then verified it when they had the cut scene at the house. Not sure just yet since I plan on finishing that section tonight after work.

Ok I have a few questions at this point in the game. For reference I am about 10 hrs in, just got to the volcano place (where the 2nd half of the demo started).

1. I have about 3 different familiars that are ready to metamorphosis (sp lol?), where do you get the drop you feed them to level them up? I didn't see any to buy in the desert town and I haven't found any off of enemies yet. Are they just drops? If so are they rare and am I just screwed until I get lucky?

2. What are good basic strategies for having your AI partner be useful in combat but not immediately blow their MP wad? I leave Esther on "don't use abilities" most of the time but this seems to make her kind of useless. If I set her to keep me healed or even to support it seems like she uses all her MP in about 2 minutes.

3. Is there any reason to capture a creature twice? Do similar creatures always roll the same exact stats and abilities? What about when they are a double sign or not? Is it a rare % chance that a creature will be a double sign or is it standard on certain enemies?

Sorry for the noobish questions, I've been reading my guide carefully but still have a few questions I'd like to have clarified. When I do capture a creature I always check it in the guide to see if I want to start leveling it up right away or not. I prefer creatures with either defense/evade over the ones who psyche up, I don't know if that's always a good strategy or not. I am also trying to get a good mix of elemental attacks so that no matter what enemy I come up against something I have will damage it.

[quote name='Psykodelik']Tombs question and did you catch it earlier?

so I got to the tombs and "died". I passed the house and followed one of the trails where it's a dead end. Was I supposed to anything there or is it part of the story line. I'm thinking it's the casino too but unsure.

It's a hunch but I'm assuming Swaine is the older brother. It clicked when he got a gun but then verified it when they had the cut scene at the house. Not sure just yet since I plan on finishing that section tonight after work.
[/QUOTE]

For your first spoiler,
when you get to the point where it's too dark, you need to use your light candle spell (can't remember what it's called) to see. Then, when you talk to that guy standing there just past the bridge, he'll tell you that you need to light candles to continue beyond the blocked path. There's one right near him and you need to cast that same spell (light candle) when you see a "?" above Oliver's head. There are a total of 5-6 candles that you need to light, after which the blocked path will open). I had trouble finding one candle... I wasn't sure if it was hidden or what, but if you go east from where that first candle is (near the zombie guy who tells you what to do), it's in the area where the path starts to curve north (you'll get cursed when you're near it).

As for the casino, remember, you're in the past and it'll take decades to build so it doesn't exist now.

As for spoiler 2, yes.

[quote name='cgarb84']Ok I have a few questions at this point in the game. For reference I am about 10 hrs in, just got to the volcano place (where the 2nd half of the demo started).

1. I have about 3 different familiars that are ready to metamorphosis (sp lol?), where do you get the drop you feed them to level them up? I didn't see any to buy in the desert town and I haven't found any off of enemies yet. Are they just drops? If so are they rare and am I just screwed until I get lucky?

2. What are good basic strategies for having your AI partner be useful in combat but not immediately blow their MP wad? I leave Esther on "don't use abilities" most of the time but this seems to make her kind of useless. If I set her to keep me healed or even to support it seems like she uses all her MP in about 2 minutes.

3. Is there any reason to capture a creature twice? Do similar creatures always roll the same exact stats and abilities? What about when they are a double sign or not? Is it a rare % chance that a creature will be a double sign or is it standard on certain enemies?

Sorry for the noobish questions, I've been reading my guide carefully but still have a few questions I'd like to have clarified. When I do capture a creature I always check it in the guide to see if I want to start leveling it up right away or not. I prefer creatures with either defense/evade over the ones who psyche up, I don't know if that's always a good strategy or not. I am also trying to get a good mix of elemental attacks so that no matter what enemy I come up against something I have will damage it.[/QUOTE]

1. Most of the basic drops I got from enemies. After you finish the trials, finish the volcano and you should get plenty of them. And you can only use the one associated with familiar's sign (ie, Mite needs sundrop). Oh, and don't morph all 3 at once. As they go back to level one, they need quite a bit of time before they're useful again.

2. I did what you did with Esther, set it to "don't use abilities" because as you said, he goes through her MP like she's retarded. Her base familiar is pretty good, keep it with a good defense (physical and magic) and good equipment and let her attack. During boss fights, I set her to "back up" or "heal".

The worst part is that your allies can't defend so she'll take a ton of damage during boss fights. You're a few hours away from getting the "all defense" and "full offense" command for your allies, which makes fights much more manageable.

For some reason, allies are useless when you first get them but after an area or two, they're much better. I had issues with her when I first got her and then again, when I got my next ally. But now, my team seems to be working fluidly.

I can't help you with #3... it's something I've actually wondered myself.

[quote name='cgarb84']1. I have about 3 different familiars that are ready to metamorphosis (sp lol?), where do you get the drop you feed them to level them up? I didn't see any to buy in the desert town and I haven't found any off of enemies yet. Are they just drops? If so are they rare and am I just screwed until I get lucky? [/QUOTE]

I'm in the same area. The guy in Al Mamoon who is looking for pokemon familiars will give you a couple. I also got a drop on the way to the volcano. Also, accessing the familiar retreat will give you the more advanced drop (from lvl 2 to lvl 3) when you access it for the first time.

Personally, I tend to play as Esther for that reason.

From what I can see, your best options are to put the familiars you want them to play up front, since they will put out the first one every time, and only give the familiar the powers you want them to use. If you don't want them using high MP abilities, don't give it to the familiar.

[quote name='cgarb84']3. Is there any reason to capture a creature twice? Do similar creatures always roll the same exact stats and abilities? What about when they are a double sign or not? Is it a rare % chance that a creature will be a double sign or is it standard on certain enemies?[/QUOTE]
Double-sign is extremely rare in the wild and I've only started seeing it on second/third gen mobs that I've encountered. It is not standard and capturing one is even more rare considering the poorly designed capture mechanics.

One reason to capture a mob twice is if you want different third gen metas, or would like a powerful familiar of the same type on two different party members (like Toko for cross healing/ressing). The other is to have differing signs of the same familiar, as each one has two different signs that can roll but only one of the two that can be double. The stats will always be the same until you start evolving, with the limiting factor being what level you decide to evolve.

Alright cool thanks for all the help guys.

[quote name='Vinny']Oh my god... I just got the quick travel spell. I didn't even know there was one. The game is now 1000x better.[/QUOTE]

Man I wish I had that and I'm only 10 hrs in. Roughly how long until you get that?

[quote name='Vinny']Oh my god... I just got the quick travel spell. I didn't even know there was one. The game is now 1000x better.[/QUOTE]
Pro-tip: using the spell resets creature spawns, even if you're 10 feet from where it warps you. Very handy in a certain valley for grinding exp. ;)

[quote name='cgarb84']
Man I wish I had that and I'm only 10 hrs in. Roughly how long until you get that?[/QUOTE]

It's quite a while into the game. I was clocked in at roughly 22 hours when I got it. Of course, I did all the sidequests and stuff so you might be able to shave of a few hours if you skip all of them.

[quote name='Jodou']Pro-tip: using the spell resets creature spawns, even if you're 10 feet from where it warps you. Very handy in a certain valley for grinding exp. ;)[/QUOTE]

Question: after I got that spell, none of my monster hunts show up in any form... the monsters don't show up where they're supposed to be nor can I see active monster hunts in my journal. I can see/complete my regular quests just fine.

Is this some kind of glitch?

I almost had a heart attack when I was hunting for Diamonds in South Billy Goat Gruff and got 9k exp in a battle. Looked online and there's a creature there called Tokotoko that gives 9k exp a kill (and is easy to kill if you can deal w/ its high evasion).

Needless to say, I found my new grinding ground.

[quote name='Vinny']Question: after I got that spell, none of my monster hunts show up in any form... the monsters don't show up where they're supposed to be nor can I see active monster hunts in my journal. I can see/complete my regular quests just fine.

Is this some kind of glitch?[/QUOTE]Umm, maybe you finished them all for now? :lol:
[quote name='Bezerker']I almost had a heart attack when I was hunting for Diamonds in South Billy Goat Gruff and got 9k exp in a battle. Looked online and there's a creature there called Tokotoko that gives 9k exp a kill (and is easy to kill if you can deal w/ its high evasion).

Needless to say, I found my new grinding ground.[/QUOTE]That's nothing. Wait til you find a pack of two of them and get 17k exp from one fight. Make sure you get the spell Veil from in town and you'll always get the drop on them. I personally just one-shot them with Ezio (my Puss in Boats ha) using Drop Chop and then Slice n' Dice on the other. They're both dead before they can even act lol.

Also, to efficiently farm them I just teleport to the town and then look over the ledge for the four spawns. If none are there, fly down into the valley and run down the path looking for more spawns. Kill them all and rinse repeat. I generally find one every other run and I'm getting close to level cap on all my characters/familiars. Sucks S rank arena isn't open to me yet because I'm unstoppable now.

Pro-tip: might want to farm the rabbits or steal from the boars in that valley too for the frogdrops to make chocolate with. The only other source is one harvest spot in Rolling Hills and it's on a long ass timer.

[quote name='Jodou']Umm, maybe you finished them all for now? :lol:
[/QUOTE]

fucking shit, looks like I hit a glitch.:bomb: There's definitely bounties available (there's 5) but my journal doesn't show any of them, just the completed ones.

And after 28 levels, I decided to dump Swaine's familiar. I was hoping it would get better but his defense is just so bad that whoever uses him dies. I'm going to catch and use that tombstone guy some of you were barging about. But it'll take forever to level him to a usable state.

I'm also faced with 5 final form evolutions but I'm not sure who to morph and who to keep.

[quote name='Vinny']fucking shit, looks like I hit a glitch.:bomb: There's definitely bounties available (there's 5) but my journal doesn't show any of them, just the completed ones.

And after 28 levels, I decided to dump Swaine's familiar. I was hoping it would get better but his defense is just so bad that whoever uses him dies. I'm going to catch and use that tombstone guy some of you were barging about. But it'll take forever to level him to a usable state.

I'm also faced with 5 final form evolutions but I'm not sure who to morph and who to keep.[/QUOTE]

Thats sad dude. Well if you just encountered the glitch and havent synchronize your save yet, Just reload your clean save from the cloud... Its better than starting over.

[quote name='Vinny']fucking shit, looks like I hit a glitch.:bomb: There's definitely bounties available (there's 5) but my journal doesn't show any of them, just the completed ones.

I'm also faced with 5 final form evolutions but I'm not sure who to morph and who to keep.[/QUOTE]

I hate to ask, but did you accept the Bounty at the shop? Bounties you have to accept right up front, while Errands are just a list that gets auto-added to your journal.

There is a nice island for leveling just North-ish of Ding Dong Dell called Ugly Duckling Isle, with Toko.

For Swaine's main familiar, I do like Monolith. For Esther I've been using Acee, which resists 2 elements and has Thunderstorm. Has a shield for more +def.

Near the beginning of game it doesn't matter too much, but when I was ready to 3rd form familiars with Jumbo drops I looked for, and only used favorite familiars, the stat boosts are pretty good later in the game.

Another note is certain familiars will only get their 2nd/3rd/4th Trick slot from familiarity or hearts. So be sure to feed your pets too because at Heart level 3 or 5 or so, they'll get more trick slots. While leveling/evolving form was the normal way to get more trick slots.

About 3rd forms: from the guide, the stats are mostly the same +/- 15-30 points. Like form A could have 20 more att but 15 less def than form B. So imo, I'd base your 3rd form decision on the Tricks available to learn and maybe on resists.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']I hate to ask, but did you accept the Bounty at the shop? Bounties you have to accept right up front, while Errands are just a list that gets auto-added to your journal.

There is a nice island for leveling just North-ish of Ding Dong Dell called Ugly Duckling Isle, with Toko.

For Swaine's main familiar, I do like Monolith. For Esther I've been using Acee, which resists 2 elements and has Thunderstorm. Has a shield for more +def.

Near the beginning of game it doesn't matter too much, but when I was ready to 3rd form familiars with Jumbo drops I looked for, and only used favorite familiars, the stat boosts are pretty good later in the game.

Another note is certain familiars will only get their 2nd/3rd/4th Trick slot from familiarity or hearts. So be sure to feed your pets too because at Heart level 3 or 5 or so, they'll get more trick slots. While leveling/evolving form was the normal way to get more trick slots.

About 3rd forms: from the guide, the stats are mostly the same +/- 15-30 points. Like form A could have 20 more att but 15 less def than form B. So imo, I'd base your 3rd form decision on the Tricks available to learn and maybe on resists.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been accepting them... I don't think I could have gotten this far without figuring that out.:lol: Once I do, though they just aren't showing up in my Journal. I guess I'll just reload an old save and hope it was before the glitch.

Thanks for the tips on leveling and whatnot that should speed things up with the Monolith and level 1 morphs.

Maybe you can brute force the bounties by going to where the creatures are and kill them. Some bounties aren't on the world map though and inside dangerous places.

I'm sort of disappointed with the game balance as I'm closing in on the end. The game tempts you to grind levels with tokos, but in doing so leaves nothing of challenge. I'm just walking through boss fights without any strategy or planning involved. My Dinoceros goes wild for about 350 a hit now lol and with the gear he has takes almost no damage. Really wish they had found a better way to level familars in addition to your main party because Oliver now has over 500 HP and that's such a deep well that he can heal to full and never die with certain familiar spells. Maybe endgame has something more challenging to do but so far game balance has broken down to: can't beat it? Outlevel it.

So before I get to the point of the game with the whole collecting of the familiars (about 4 hours in, should be getting to it shortly), I was wondering what is a good team setup strategy for it? Like what would be a good combination of stats for familiars I should be using?

Thanks

bread's done
Back