Ni No Kuni out January 22, 2013

[quote name='Rumors']Sorry to steer off the current topic.... I really want this game but the cag in me says to wait. Especially considering my daunting backlog. So I guess the question is will this become really hard to find if I wait around for a drop or a sale?[/QUOTE]

Given that the game is on PSN, you can probably wait to get it since the digital copy will be available indefinitely (or unless Namco pulls it, which is unlikely).

So after almost completing the desert (Summerland area) I decided to head back to the Ding Dong Dell area and pick up some familiars that Oliver & Esther have an affinity for. A water familiar found deep inside Ding Dong Well is a beast when it comes to raw strength. You're able to psyche him up too. Also picked up a Teeny Booper (Dragon familiar) for Oliver. Super high attack speed and movement. I still need to level him some more.

I must've tried 30-40 times fighting the Monoliths and still haven't had a chance to get one.

But I have to say I find the whole starting at level 1 thing a chore. Is there anyway later on where you don't have to grind them so much to make the effective?

I try to convince myself that I have a love/hate relationship with JRPGs but then I start wondering if it's really hate/hate. I'm really wanting to pick this up but I just wanted some general advice based on what I'm about to say.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm just too stupid for these types of games or something. Like something doesn't "click". I look at a game like this that appears to be geared towards a younger audience and wonder what's wrong with me when I struggle.

I don't want to have my hand held the whole time but I don't want to hit a wall (which happens in EVERY RPG for me) where all of a sudden I'm expected to grind for 10 hours just to get by one boss. The demo sucked IMO simply because of the lack of tutorial and I had no idea what I was doing. Sure it looked awesome and I really want to enjoy it but am afraid of everything I just mentioned.

So is it user-friendly to casual players and only as overly-complicated as you make it?

[quote name='Rumors']Sorry to steer off the current topic.... I really want this game but the cag in me says to wait. Especially considering my daunting backlog. So I guess the question is will this become really hard to find if I wait around for a drop or a sale?[/QUOTE]

This game leapfrogged past my whole back log and even made me stop playing WoW, which was the source of my backlog. I love it. I'm a huge cheap ass, but this game is well worth $60 to me.

[quote name='Rodimus']But I have to say I find the whole starting at level 1 thing a chore. Is there anyway later on where you don't have to grind them so much to make the effective?[/QUOTE]

Once you take to the open seas not too far in the game, you can visit an island north of Ding Dong Dell called Ugly Duckling Isle. It has a rare monster worth 2k exp.

Once you take to the air, you can visit a forest area west of Hamelin. You'll have 2 nice spells to compliment farming a rare monster there
Travel to near-by city to respawn monsters, and Veil to sneak up on them
, that gives 8k exp, and some battles have 2-in-1 so 17k+ exp. I had Oliver level up twice in 1 battle, to show you how much exp that is.

It's all optional, you have to decide how much you want to do before tackling the next area/boss, if at all.

[quote name='chriscolbert']I don't want to have my hand held the whole time but I don't want to hit a wall (which happens in EVERY RPG for me) where all of a sudden I'm expected to grind for 10 hours just to get by one boss. The demo sucked IMO simply because of the lack of tutorial and I had no idea what I was doing. Sure it looked awesome and I really want to enjoy it but am afraid of everything I just mentioned.

So is it user-friendly to casual players and only as overly-complicated as you make it?[/QUOTE]

The demo doesn't work because the in-game tutorial is spread out over a long period of time. It might be 3 or 5 hours until you even get a 2nd party member?

The "need to grind" only comes up on certain bosses (one instance before you get 2nd party member, you're supposed to skip mobs because they'll hurt you bad). And you can either turn the game to easy, or use those EXP tips I said. Either way, it is not a long grind, and you can actually over level on accident with toko's.

"Grind for 10 hours" is not this game. I've only ever had it set to normal, and the grinding may take 30 minutes and you should be able to smash the boss after. Or use a different strategy. It really sucks you get "All-Out-Defense" sooooo late in the game, along with the Travel spell. Both should be given at/around Desert/Cast-a-Way-Cove, but weren't.

"Grind for 10 hours" could be this game if: you want to collect them all, and/or evolve them all to 3 forms. Which is why I loved the guide, I was able to see lvl.99 max stats and abilities and pick which familiars I wanted before I leveled them, and which final form I preferred in advance.

[quote name='Rodimus']But I have to say I find the whole starting at level 1 thing a chore. Is there anyway later on where you don't have to grind them so much to make the effective?[/QUOTE]
Tokos ease the grind a lot but keep in mind your main party is always leveling, so after only an hour or two you will have broken the fragile balance and make the game a lot easier. By the time I beat the game, everyone was level 99 except for my familiars who were in their 90's. Suffice to say, I steamrolled the end bosses and failed to find anything of challenge post-game. I felt a bit cheated honestly, because I like grinding towards goals and the Tokos are too exploitable.[quote name='Kazaganthi']Once you take to the air, you can visit a forest area west of Hamelin. You'll have 2 nice spells to compliment farming a rare monster there
Travel to near-by city to respawn monsters, and Veil to sneak up on them
, that gives 8k exp, and some battles have 2-in-1 so 17k+ exp. I had Oliver level up twice in 1 battle, to show you how much exp that is.[/QUOTE]
Wait til you get to the final area and they give 28k exp per kill. ;)

[quote name='Jodou']Tokos ease the grind a lot but keep in mind your main party is always leveling, so after only an hour or two you will have broken the fragile balance and make the game a lot easier. By the time I beat the game, everyone was level 99 except for my familiars who were in their 90's. Suffice to say, I steamrolled the end bosses and failed to find anything of challenge post-game. I felt a bit cheated honestly, because I like grinding towards goals and the Tokos are too exploitable.
Wait til you get to the final area and they give 28k exp per kill. ;)[/QUOTE]

wish i had more time to spare to play like you but with work and house matters... i get lucky to get an hour or 2 a day of play time. btw, thanks for the info on tokos... i might look it grinding that enemy later in the game. just got the boat and backtracking to the previous maps trying to collect all available familiars in those areas before moving on.

quick question though... is there any benefit in maxing out first form familiars? or are you guys morphing all your tames to its final forms? having the OCD of collecting all familiars, it feel like its hard for me to morph any of my current 1st level forms...

[quote name='CAGkrazy']quick question though... is there any benefit in maxing out first form familiars? or are you guys morphing all your tames to its final forms? having the OCD of collecting all familiars, it feel like its hard for me to morph any of my current 1st level forms...[/QUOTE]
That's a loaded question but the short answer is no, unless you absolutely want to min/max.

Very few familiars have average growth and are early bloomers for first and second generations, which means they get the majority of stats very quickly and taper off until hitting level cap. In layman's terms, the longer you wait, the more you get from the stat carryover but each level gives less and less. The cumulative return is roughly 5-7% of stats overall once the familiar is hard capped, if you max out each generation. It's up to you if grinding the added exp is worth those stats.

I finally found North Billy Goat Bluff (I knew of the southern part, but figured the northern part was the blocked/dark/rainy part, didn't think it'd be just west of the southern part). I got one into fight with a Tokotoko... that was crazy. A while later, I got into to fight with two of them. Seeing one of my familiars go from level 1 to 28 was pretty funny.

The best part was that I actually caught one. I was surprised to see the prompt and then even more surprised to see that they still gave me the experience. I wonder if it's worth leveling?:whistle2:k

EDIT* Tokotoko needs 15K exp just to get to level 2. 15,000! His magic defense jumped up 69 points but his defense only went up 8. I'm guessing he makes a beast if you level him, but it'll take forever because he needs 30,000 for level 3.:whistle2:S

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what a Tokos is yet, but I'll head to the Ugly Ducking place and see what I can find.

I can't believe some people have beaten this already.

I actually just beat it last night. Clocked at about 60 hours, having no other available sidequests or bounties before the endgame. Spent some time alchemizin' some nice equipment too.

Though I certainly had some minor beefs with the game, I absolutely loved it overall. Pretty much stole my nights after work right out from under me. Lucky that the fiancee enjoyed watching it too. Excited to get into this post game content. One more merit stamp reward to go!

[quote name='IanKazimer']One more merit stamp reward to go![/QUOTE]
Let me know if you get it because by my count I come up 5 merits short, if I completed an alchemy sidequest that involves grinding rare ingredients (which is pointless since there's nothing left to beat). Not sure if the game just gives you a gimme or if they really screwed up in handing out merits.

[quote name='Jodou']Let me know if you get it because by my count I come up 5 merits short, if I completed an alchemy sidequest that involves grinding rare ingredients (which is pointless since there's nothing left to beat). Not sure if the game just gives you a gimme or if they really screwed up in handing out merits.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you're talking about (grinding now :roll:) and I think that they probably just screwed up on handing out stamps. I see nothing else in my journal or guide that rewards em.

[quote name='navalg1337']Ugh, I honestly could use some restraint right now. Semester just started and I already just want to play this game more.[/QUOTE]

I have some extra confidence, will that work?

[quote name='Jodou']Let me know if you get it because by my count I come up 5 merits short, if I completed an alchemy sidequest that involves grinding rare ingredients (which is pointless since there's nothing left to beat). Not sure if the game just gives you a gimme or if they really screwed up in handing out merits.[/QUOTE]

I got it tonight, and the last quest definitely just threw me the rest of the merits I needed to max out the card.

[quote name='KrebStar']I got it tonight, and the last quest definitely just threw me the rest of the merits I needed to max out the card.[/QUOTE]
LMAO, I guess math is hard for them when planning ahead. :lol:

I tried grinding scrolls last night and I give up. The best steal rate is on the trail but the mob is too rare there to efficiently farm. After two hours and zero scrolls, screw it.

[quote name='cgarb84']Ok I'm starting to get pissed. I want to leave the desert area (I cleared the volcano today) but I still have one side quest left to finish. I need to capture one of those damn green banana bunch looking things for that guy who wants the 2 familiars but I can't cap one of the bastards. I am way overleveled for the desert by now, it is way harder to capture a familiar if they run away from you? I think I killed 20 of these bastards this afternoon but no dice. I then went down south toward the next area and I captured about 4 familiars in 20 minutes. Anyone have any ideas, I'm about ready to just say fuck it and move one....the merit points aren't worth it.[/QUOTE]

That's funny. I captured that one in the second fight just after reaching the town. Just some bad luck for you.

Found that island with the Toko's. I managed to kill one but those monkeys and mites kick my ass. I can see how that island might break the game early on.

Quick question: familiars with double signs, what does that mean again? They level faster or higher stats? Also what does having an affinity for a genus do again?

[quote name='Jodou']LMAO, I guess math is hard for them when planning ahead. :lol:

I tried grinding scrolls last night and I give up. The best steal rate is on the trail but the mob is too rare there to efficiently farm. After two hours and zero scrolls, screw it.[/QUOTE]

That'll be me tonight. I was gonna grind out more Kaleidostones because I wanted dat Primordial Sword, but I think I'll probably be fine without. Ended up spending two hours at Old Smoky last night trying to catch a gold Draggle. Finally got one. I find him very entertaining.

[quote name='IanKazimer']That'll be me tonight. I was gonna grind out more Kaleidostones because I wanted dat Primordial Sword, but I think I'll probably be fine without. Ended up spending two hours at Old Smoky last night trying to catch a gold Draggle. Finally got one. I find him very entertaining.[/QUOTE]
You know you could have got his evolved form in glittering grotto, right? That's where I was farming for stones/scrolls at one point, because both his third forms are there and can even spawn in the same pack! Draggamuffin is way more common though, which was nice because he's the one that can drop scrolls. Never did though. : \

[quote name='Jodou']You know you could have got his evolved form in glittering grotto, right? That's where I was farming for stones/scrolls at one point, because both his third forms are there and can even spawn in the same pack! Draggamuffin is way more common though, which was nice because he's the one that can drop scrolls. Never did though. : \[/QUOTE]

I do. The whole reason I left was because while farming, I was also doodling in my sketchbook. On hour two or three, after hearing the charm jingle playing for what I assumed was another Sasquish, I looked up just in time to see my Bone Baron ruthlessly cut down the Bedraggle that only wanted to come home with me. It was hard to watch.

I had a hell of a time grinding for stones in the Grotto, but I got lucky with the scrolls so I can't really complain.

Now I just need to decide on a good spot to start leveling familiars to fill out the collection.

[quote name='Brainberry']What level during second stage do you need to get to final form?[/QUOTE]

Each familiar is different. Usually around 35-ish. Best bet is to check their skills. Look at the last skill, it will give a level it will be learned at, and you'll be able to morph before that level, or around it.

[quote name='KrebStar']Now I just need to decide on a good spot to start leveling familiars to fill out the collection.[/QUOTE]
Ivory Tower. Do laps before the final boss room with veil on and attack any tokotokocolds you see for almost 30k exp a kill. They can be pretty rare, but I also found attacking the witches or mermites there ~15% of the time get paired with them as well. It's sick leveling.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Each familiar is different. Usually around 35-ish. Best bet is to check their skills. Look at the last skill, it will give a level it will be learned at, and you'll be able to morph before that level, or around it.[/QUOTE]

Great info! Thanks! I just got the dragon and I think I should do a little grinding, I'm at level 30ish and battles have been a pain

[quote name='Jodou']Ivory Tower. Do laps before the final boss room with veil on and attack any tokotokocolds you see for almost 30k exp a kill. They can be pretty rare, but I also found attacking the witches or mermites there ~15% of the time get paired with them as well. It's sick leveling.[/QUOTE]

i just read your recommendation of turning griffy into the fire evolution too late, and went with ice. How big of a deal is it?

Ever since I got that dragon, I've been flying around and getting treasures, leveling, and whatnot for most of 15 hours. I think I've logged 40 hours into the game so far... I think it's about time I start progressing.

I'm at
the point just after getting the 3 stones for the wand and trying to figure out how to make them fit.
About how much longer do I have?

[quote name='navalg1337']i just read your recommendation of turning griffy into the fire evolution too late, and went with ice. How big of a deal is it?[/QUOTE]
Depends. Have you already been to Winter Wonderlands? The reasoning is you encounter most of the fire resistant enemies very early in the game (desert/old smokey) and towards the second half his fire attacks can be really useful.
[quote name='Vinny']I'm at
the point just after getting the 3 stones for the wand and trying to figure out how to make them fit.
About how much longer do I have?[/QUOTE]
You're maybe 75% through the game.

[quote name='Jodou']Depends. Have you already been to Winter Wonderlands? The reasoning is you encounter most of the fire resistant enemies very early in the game (desert/old smokey) and towards the second half his fire attacks can be really useful.

You're maybe 75% through the game.[/QUOTE]

Nope I am still in Hamelin. There's no way to get a second griffy I assume..

[quote name='navalg1337']Nope I am still in Hamelin. There's no way to get a second griffy I assume..[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's one and done sadly. He still hits like a truck regardless, so not having the fire spells isn't a huge deal; just speeds up fights later on.

[quote name='Jodou']

You're maybe 75% through the game.[/QUOTE]

Geez... and here I was hoping I could finish it in a couple of hours.:lol:

I'm guessing it's impossible to get all familiars as dlc ones (and possibly other one timers?) have multiple evolution chains.

Anyway I'm about 6hrs in having ust entered Al Mamoon last night. So I think I'll be getting the girl and the ability to recruit. Also I guess I'll be able to redeem dlc familiars pretty soon.

Now some noob questions:

• Are celestial signs fixed (aside from double sign chance)? As in can familiar X be a sun or moon etc?
  • The check/X just means that familiar is resistant or weak to that attack type. Are elemental attacks only tricks or do some familiars have basic attacks that are?
  • Why do some mobs run away from me but some seek me out? From what I could tell, the mobs were just as strong/weak. This was in the world map area outside Ding Doll Dell and before that forest dungeon leading to the desert.
  • I noticed the side quests are numbered. Any have an idea why they didn't start at #1? I think the first one I got was a 40 something. Same for bounties.
Also not really game related but every so often I hear beeps from the ps3. It does happen during some load times for a cut scene or transition but usually just 'randomly' when I'm running around. I have the disc version and first time playing on a ps3 btw.

Whats a Griffy lol

Edit: Oh its DLC, I hope it becomes avail to all in the future, he/she looks pretty dope.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I evolve a Mite at level 20 rather than 15 is the stat bonus significant, should I level him up sooner than later? Generally I've been evolving my familiars right when the learn all their skills. Is that a good rule to go by or should I wait sometimes.

Also what are some other good familiars fairly early in the game? I've wasted my time leveling up crappy familiars. I just got the ship and third member of my team. Thanks

Quick question
Regarding the spell Unleash: How many times can you use it? It says it draws power from the guardians you beat so does that mean it eats up the stone you get when you beat them thus only being able to use it once for each stone?

[quote name='Gamer SDP']Now some noob questions:

• Are celestial signs fixed (aside from double sign chance)? As in can familiar X be a sun or moon etc?
  • The check/X just means that familiar is resistant or weak to that attack type. Are elemental attacks only tricks or do some familiars have basic attacks that are?
  • Why do some mobs run away from me but some seek me out? From what I could tell, the mobs were just as strong/weak. This was in the world map area outside Ding Doll Dell and before that forest dungeon leading to the desert.
  • I noticed the side quests are numbered. Any have an idea why they didn't start at #1? I think the first one I got was a 40 something. Same for bounties.
[/QUOTE]Yes, some familiars aren't restricted to one sign, but it's rare to find one outside their natural sign. All attacks are physical outside of tricks that specifically state otherwise. Some mobs will engage no matter what level you are. Mites, Boars, and witches are typically prone to this.

As for the numbering, who knows. Eventually the tasks fill in, 1-140 or so, but they get chopped up here and there.
[quote name='Rodimus']If I evolve a Mite at level 20 rather than 15 is the stat bonus significant, should I level him up sooner than later? Generally I've been evolving my familiars right when the learn all their skills. Is that a good rule to go by or should I wait sometimes.

Also what are some other good familiars fairly early in the game? I've wasted my time leveling up crappy familiars. I just got the ship and third member of my team. Thanks[/QUOTE]
Completely up to you, but the end stats vary 5-7% if you evolve immediately. It's not a huge loss, but necessary to min/max.

Mite is a good tank/front line fighter for most of the game, but should be retired when you have access to Dinoceros. If you don't have Griffy, people seem to like that obelisk/tombstone familiar for his survivability on Esther. Purrloiner will round out your team nicely for burst damage and bonehead isn't a bad choice to start leveling now for your third party member.
[quote name='Brainberry']Quick question
Regarding the spell Unleash: How many times can you use it? It says it draws power from the guardians you beat so does that mean it eats up the stone you get when you beat them thus only being able to use it once for each stone?
[/QUOTE]
You know, IDK LOL! I got the spell, remember all that dialogue and never used it, ever. I rarely ever used Oliver to cast, especially once my Dinoceros got Healthy Glow. Something wrong when a tank can heal themself to full and barely take damage lol.

One quick question, I'm about to leave the
fairy
island and I have about 6 merit cards stored up I haven't spent yet. I am kind of waiting for some better more expensive rewards to appear but it seems like I'm still stuck on the early rewards that aren't that great. Do I need to buy the crappier rewards to unlock the better ones or do they appear as I get further into the game?

[quote name='cgarb84']One quick question, I'm about to leave the
fairy
island and I have about 6 merit cards stored up I haven't spent yet. I am kind of waiting for some better more expensive rewards to appear but it seems like I'm still stuck on the early rewards that aren't that great. Do I need to buy the crappier rewards to unlock the better ones or do they appear as I get further into the game?[/QUOTE]

Get two more Merit Cards and enjoy the prize =)

[quote name='cgarb84']One quick question, I'm about to leave the
fairy
island and I have about 6 merit cards stored up I haven't spent yet. I am kind of waiting for some better more expensive rewards to appear but it seems like I'm still stuck on the early rewards that aren't that great. Do I need to buy the crappier rewards to unlock the better ones or do they appear as I get further into the game?[/QUOTE]
YEP. You're falling into the same trap I did because I had about 19 cards stored before finally figuring it out. Nowhere does the game tell you that each tier requires purchasing all the rewards to unlock the next, but that's how it works. REALLY pissed me off considering the next tier has stuff like increased rare drops and they're all worth having.

[quote name='Jodou']YEP. You're falling into the same trap I did because I had about 19 cards stored before finally figuring it out. Nowhere does the game tell you that each tier requires purchasing all the rewards to unlock the next, but that's how it works. REALLY pissed me off considering the next tier has stuff like increased rare drops and they're all worth having.[/QUOTE]

I have 7, someone told me one more and I can get a
HP Boost Reward

[quote name='Brainberry']I have 7, someone told me one more and I can get a
HP Boost Reward
[/QUOTE]
That's in the third tier and is 100 HP/MP for 8 merits.

[quote name='Brainberry']Quick question
[/QUOTE]

You can use as many times as you want. Just uses up your MP. Think of it like a FF summon.

[quote name='Jodou']Completely up to you, but the end stats vary 5-7% if you evolve immediately. It's not a huge loss, but necessary to min/max.

Mite is a good tank/front line fighter for most of the game, but should be retired when you have access to Dinoceros. If you don't have Griffy, people seem to like that obelisk/tombstone familiar for his survivability on Esther. Purrloiner will round out your team nicely for burst damage and bonehead isn't a bad choice to start leveling now for your third party member.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I did catch a Bonehead, maybe I'll start leveling it now. The Purrloiner is my favorite so far. I've been using him more than my Mite.

[quote name='Psykodelik']
You can use as many times as you want. Just uses up your MP. Think of it like a FF summon.
[/QUOTE]

Sweet!

Weird because when I look at the spell from the square menu its the only spell that doesn't give a mana value.

I played enough to get to Hamelin tonight. Backtracking to both Old Smoky and Golden Grove to complete side quests was a pain in my ass coming from the fairy island. I need the fast travel asap lol.

Which tier two merit reward should I get first? I have exactly three cards and I don't want to blow them on something that isn't that great first.

bread's done
Back