Nintendo 3DS $99 with trade-in (DSL, DSi, DSi XL) and PUR Coupon (8/12 - 8/14)

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Not too bad for a DS Lite or DSi trade-in. Given all threads on the 3DS price drop, I thought this needed its own thread.

EDIT:

If you're not a PUR member or don't have a coupon, the trade-in offers are tiered:
DSi XL: $99
DSi : $109
DSL: $119

this amounts to about + $10 trade-in

$99 for a 3DS?
It Must Be a PowerUp Rewards Pro™ Exclusive!

It's a mobile gamers dream! For a limited time, PowerUp Rewards Pro™ members can get a brand new 3DS for only $99* when you trade in your old DS Lite, DSi or DSi XL between Friday, August 12, and Sunday, August 14.

This hot deal requires a coupon, but we've got you covered! Look for the coupon Friday, August 12* in the Active Offers section of your PowerUp Rewards account. Simply log in, print your Pro members-only coupon, and get to your nearest GameStop store to take advantage of this offer.
Even if you don't own a DS system to trade, you can still take advantage of an awesome price drop! Upgrade the way you game to start playing in glorious 3D without 3D glasses. Get your 3DS for the low price of only $169.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone tell me if I need a pur membership or any kind of membership to use the coupon? A friendly Cag member passed me one, just needed this question answered.

Thanks

Can anyone tell me what you need to trade in the DS Lite??

Just the DS with stylus? or power adaptor 2???

cuz i had the buy the usb power adaptor anad idk if they'll accept that.

Please help !!

[quote name='akuma77']Can anyone tell me what you need to trade in the DS Lite??

Just the DS with stylus? or power adaptor 2???

cuz i had the buy the usb power adaptor anad idk if they'll accept that.

Please help !![/QUOTE]

The power adapter is in need, the stylus is not. however some employees wont let you get away without it, never happened to me.

[quote name='skkared4life']The power adapter is in need, the stylus is not. however some employees wont let you get away without it, never happened to me.[/QUOTE]
any idea where to get a power adaptor in 1 day?? XD
i dont think they'll take the usb one

[quote name='laseractive']This sounds like a good plan. Worst case is I keep the Blue, but definitely worth a try on the 9th.[/QUOTE]

I'm not completely sure, But this is what i was wondering also. I even asked the employee... which thought it wouldn't work because it was a whole new month away. But as it turns out its still within the 30days. So in theory it should work, (God this is one of the factors i wanted this deal.) At 99$ For a brand new Red 3DS On launch day. I'm storing my 3DS away. cause i wanted the Red one since the 3ds where introduced. Have saying that. I do believe you can, as you traded in a ds lite. And they cant steal your money like that,. If they dont let me im damning a refund, either way I'm getting that Red 3DS At 99$. (Hope this helped.)

[quote name='akuma77']any idea where to get a power adaptor in 1 day?? XD
i dont think they'll take the usb one[/QUOTE]

Sadly i don't know. other then buying from a store for about 10$ which is still a steal,. "or" they subtract it from your funds for trading it in. depending on employee.

On the other hand, you can borrow a cousins or friends and return them a different charger. if of course that could be arranged. =)

is it worth trading in a dsi xl to get a 3ds? i don't think so! the dsi xl has a bigger screen and a longer battery life than a 3ds. than there is the lack of good games on the 3ds than the dsi xl.

[quote name='jterp7']personally I'd wait for starfox..which is less than a month away. I'm not sure if you're my age, by I refuse to buy my kids games I wouldn't play myself (or had already played). It's hard trying to tell them that the transformers game is absolute sh** even though they love the movie[/QUOTE]

Thats a problem for me though as I have yet to meet a Nintendo game I liked enough to finish. One of my issues with Nintendo games is the whole having to repeat entire levels over and over until you finally get through it. I find them frustrating while my kids do not. So I can't really base it on what I like.

for example, I haven't met a Zelda game I liked yet. While I do like Mario I have never had the patience to finish a game.

the reason I eliminated OoT is because I already know my 10 year old doesn't like it.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']is it worth trading in a dsi xl to get a 3ds? i don't think so! the dsi xl has a bigger screen and a longer battery life than a 3ds. than there is the lack of good games on the 3ds than the dsi xl.[/QUOTE]

This may be true... I've often lacked playing DS games. And having that said, 3DS Is better, yes it does lack Screen size & Power. But on the other hand. Paper mario? Starfox 3ds? Super smash bros 3ds? All these in the quality of the wii system? I'm too tempted. and your first instinct is always right. Whatever that may be oh yeah and mario galaxy for 3ds? I just cant resist this offer. I traded in a Ds lite though. may be different story for you though. If you were to trade it to target i believe you get 75$ trade in credit+ Free game?

[quote name='kk012']I really want that red 3DS. I guess I'll just trade in my silver DS Lite for a blue 3DS and keep it sealed to exchange it for a red one on 9/9.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='laseractive']This sounds like a good plan. Worst case is I keep the Blue, but definitely worth a try on the 9th.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='skkared4life']I'm not completely sure, But this is what i was wondering also. I even asked the employee... which thought it wouldn't work because it was a whole new month away. But as it turns out its still within the 30days. So in theory it should work, (God this is one of the factors i wanted this deal.) At 99$ For a brand new Red 3DS On launch day. I'm storing my 3DS away. cause i wanted the Red one since the 3ds where introduced. Have saying that. I do believe you can, as you traded in a ds lite. And they cant steal your money like that,. If they dont let me im damning a refund, either way I'm getting that Red 3DS At 99$. (Hope this helped.)[/QUOTE]

Ok, I traded my DS Lite for a 3DS. I put down $25 to reserve a red 3DS so that I would be guaranteed one on release date. Since I'm a regular customer, the manager wrote a note on my receipt that would allow me to exchange my sealed 3DS for the flame red 3DS on 9/9 and get the $25 back.

[quote name='Driver121113']Can someone tell me if I need a pur membership or any kind of membership to use the coupon? A friendly Cag member passed me one, just needed this question answered.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Still looking for an answer to this, any help would be appreciated. On the coupon it says you need a powerUp rewards card. Is there anyway of getting around that? or do they not even ask to see your card?

[quote name='Driver121113']Still looking for an answer to this, any help would be appreciated. On the coupon it says you need a powerUp rewards card. Is there anyway of getting around that? or do they not even ask to see your card?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, have been wondering the same thing. Maybe one of the many CAGs doing this could give us some info on how their transaction went down? :p

Wow you guys, should I jump on it then? I wanted a Red 3DS and this would be the cheapest way to get it right?

Got mine today. I will say this thing is serious fun, and I was not going to get one. With my old ass DSlite getting a decent trade in, I jumped on it.

The AR games are damn cool. I can see that this system is going to be around for a while, thats the other reason I bit. They are going to have a lot of potential for this system, and while the Vita is more powerful, this thing is pretty fun.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Yeah, have been wondering the same thing. Maybe one of the many CAGs doing this could give us some info on how their transaction went down? :p[/QUOTE]

The manager read the entire coupon (guess he wasn't aware of the deal for the coupon yet) then asked for my PowerUp Card to scan in.

[quote name='karyadi']Wow you guys, should I jump on it then? I wanted a Red 3DS and this would be the cheapest way to get it right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, especially since you can't sell a used DS Lite for 70$ anywhere.

[quote name='gokuofheaven']The manager read the entire coupon (guess he wasn't aware of the deal for the coupon yet) then asked for my PowerUp Card to scan in.[/QUOTE]

Ouch...
what did you say?

hmm, I just looked at the website for PowerUp rewards. It says you can sign up for a free one or a 14.99 pro one. Link

So I guess we could just sign up for the free card and use the coupon.

I was able to preorder the red one with this deal. Just had to pay in full, and go pick it up on the ninth. Probably depends on employee.

[quote name='Driver121113']hmm, I just looked at the website for PowerUp rewards. It says you can sign up for a free one or a 14.99 pro one. Link

So I guess we could just sign up for the free card and use the coupon.[/QUOTE]

For the coupon to be in your account you need to have the paid membership and had to be a Pro member prior to 8/8

Was able to use someone else's coupon. I'm pretty sure you'd be able to sign up for PUR and use the coupon same day. Wasn't too much of a hassle. They took my thumbprint because it's a system being traded in with a serial number. Pretty lame because I held up the line. Also, without the PUR, I don't think the coupon went through because it was only going to give me $40 for it (maybe it was $25 plus bonus?). Either way, they had to redo it, scan the card, ds lite, coupon, 3ds and hit total and everything worked.

Ghost Recon 3D is on sale at Target for $17. Picked that up as well.

I traded in my psp with a gamestop USB charger and they took it for full value.

I haven't personally tested this but....

I'm a PURP member and most of their coupons have "Coupon most be surrendered upon use" in the fine print, but this one doesn't. So I called my local GS and asked if I had two DSLs could I get two 3DSs for the $99.99. He told me as far as he knew the answer was yes, but I'd have to bring someone with me since it does say "Limit 1 per customer".

So I went out today, bought a DSL for $20 off CL, and will be going tomorrow with two DSLs and my wife. We'll see how this goes.

[quote name='Driver121113']Still looking for an answer to this, any help would be appreciated. On the coupon it says you need a powerUp rewards card. Is there anyway of getting around that? or do they not even ask to see your card?[/QUOTE]

Based on my experience today, I would say yes. My cashier knows me as a regular so she asked for my card right away. She didn't scan the coupon at all. I don't know if she did an override or what but I walked out the door with my blue 3DS for $100+ tax.

Edit-She still took the coupon and it was gone from my account when I logged in.

Just got back from trading my DSL and a couple of games for the 3DS. The cashier had to override the DSL, because it kept coming up as 30.00 TIV, but everything else went okay.

Also, there were no 3DS's at this store, so he asked if I wanted to use it toward a new Flame Red 3DS preorder, which is what I wanted anyways. xP

Edit: I don't think the coupon was correctly taken, as the offer is still in my active offers. So if anyone wants the coupon, hit me up a PM. (Taken)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from trading in my DS Lite and six games, using the credit and some previous credit on my PUR Pro card and paying only $25 for a Black 3DS. :shock:

I'm still stunned that I saved more than $140 total; this has the makings to be the deal of the year for me...

[quote name='acev']Just got back from trading my DSL and a couple of games for the 3DS. The cashier had to override the DSL, because it kept coming up as 30.00 TIV, but everything else went okay.

Also, there were no 3DS's at this store, so he asked if I wanted to use it toward a new Flame Red 3DS preorder, which is what I wanted anyways. xP
[/QUOTE]

I wish the GS manager was able to just apply my trade-in total to a red 3DS pre-order. I have to do an exchange to get the red one, but as long as I get a red 3DS I'll be :).

Ok, I'm still confused. If I sign up today for a PUR membership today will I get a coupon or is it too late to get one? If I sign up now and get a coupon from a CAG member would I be able to use it? Lastly... Anyone got a coupon? :eek:)

[quote name='sadunk']They took my thumbprint because it's a system being traded in with a serial number. Pretty lame because I held up the line.[/QUOTE]

Different states have different requirements. No one takes a thumbprint for system trade-ins in the state of Washington. Just mentioning it in case anyone becomes surprised when they trade their systems in; it's dictated by the state, not GameStop.

[quote name='sudanem']If anyone has the coupon they are not using, a fellow member could use. [/QUOTE]

Is this a question? Or are you just making a statement that if someone has a coupon they are not using, that it is possible that someone else could use it?

OK I got in on this one today. I used the coupon that someone here game me without any issue. $70 credit for my DSlite. They had a used Zelda. Also got Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon from the Target deal for $17 each. Zelda is classic as always, but Ghost Recon for freaking great. I would say a must have. Have not tried Splinter Cell yet. Thanks again guys. Great deal and $70 for a used DSlite this late is NICE.

I never got a coupon code, is there any cool cheapassgamer willing to give out their coupon that they don't want to use? I would greatly appreciate it.

[quote name='SteveGo']Is this a question? Or are you just making a statement that if someone has a coupon they are not using, that it is possible that someone else could use it?[/QUOTE]
Indeed, my badd yes it is a question of someone having a coupon they wouldn't mind giving to a fellow member. I dont have one and would like to take advantage of this deal.

How bad is the 3ds with playing ds games? I've been hearing its rather bad, I have some ds games I have yet to play. If possible could I get some opinions from people with 3ds? thanks.

I considered trading in my sons DS lite, but just couldn't do it yet. Not sure I care for the battery only lasting 3-5 hours when his DS lite averages about 14. Also, I messed with one in the store and the camera is worse than the camera on my cell phone. Other thing I didn't care for is the lack of 3D games/movies. Will wait and see what the bundle deal will include come the holidays.

Just got back from gamestop and trading in my DSL. Had to drive about 15 miles because all the GS around my house were sold out. Got it for $20 after my trade in plus credit I'd been saving :O Then I swung by target and got Ghost Recon for $17. This whole thing has been the deal of the century.

Yeah, I've been trying to get a coupon all day too. It seems everyone that has one just asks for pms instead of looking on here. I would love to get in on this deal, and even without the coop at $119 for a ds lite is a good price. a coupon would just push me over the edge. I'd definitely have to do it.

[quote name='KtMack23']Just got back from gamestop and trading in my DSL. Had to drive about 15 miles because all the GS around my house were sold out. Got it for $20 after my trade in plus credit I'd been saving :O Then I swung by target and got Ghost Recon for $17. This whole thing has been the deal of the century.[/QUOTE]

That would have sounded perfect if it weren't for the Ghost Recon bit. What a sham of a game.

I asked a GS Employee, For those wondering. You may use this trade in offer for a red 3ds as a pre-order is does still apply. you do not need to "Exchange it." unless you were going to hold on to your black or blue 3ds till then,. Sadly he did not know whether the coupon& card are tied. but theirs a chance this is not.

bread's done
Back