Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

I got Bit Trip Saga for my 3DS its pretty fun and I got Pac-Man(Nes) and Chuck E cheeses Alien Defense force to enjoy! I am having a lot of fun playing my 3DS lately. I thought about moving up to a 3DS XL during the sale gamestop has with the lowered price and double trade in but I have the nyko Battery plus on mine and it is awesome I can get my 3DS going almost 3 days on a charge (based on my playing style).

After upgrading from a 3DS to a 3DS XL last night it is painfully obvious Nintendo needs to get their shit together when it comes to these digital purchases and storage solutions. I agree these purchases should also be cross platform. It just shouldn't be this difficult. An authorize this device to use these games like Sony does would work much better.

[quote name='jkam']After upgrading from a 3DS to a 3DS XL last night it is painfully obvious Nintendo needs to get their shit together when it comes to these digital purchases and storage solutions. I agree these purchases should also be cross platform. It just shouldn't be this difficult. An authorize this device to use these games like Sony does would work much better.[/QUOTE]

I agree... I wasn't a fan of basically having to completely commit to a new system. It's why I put off the XL for so long. With the way they have it now, my old 3DS is basically useless to me, which takes away the option of using the smaller system if necessary.

That said, the transfer process is pretty painless. Outside of the length of time, I liked that I didn't have to re-download anything and it basically setting the new system exactly like the old one.

I have a couple more questions, with Pokemon Black 2 if it was inserted into the 3DS can you get both 3DS streetpasses and the passes that you get in Pokemon Black 2 at the same time?

Also how long does battery life last on a regular 3DS with the system closed and streetpass on?

Also is that $139 price drop on the regular 3DS coming anytime soon?

I am strongly considering this system if it did drop to $139, I know I should have picked it up during the holidays but I needed to save up some more best buy credit so I can get it for the cost of credit.

Yeah, I take it out with me all of the time, but I've never cross paths with anybody else that had one on them, as well. The only other StreetPasses that I have are with a Mii or two from the local Target's 3DS and one of the Nintendo execs that sent their Miis out during E3 last year.

I will probably go with the regular 3DS when I get one, I know I can get passes here, heck today I just passed 2 kids playing 3DS systems (don't have a 3DS but I saw them playing). I want the portability and I don't want regular DS games to look crappy. I have gotten passes on my Pokemon Black games too which are different kinds of passes, but I have gotten them. Note you have to be very vigilant, you must take your 3DS or DS out if you are going out every single time!!! That is right every single time!!!

Try going to the mall (food court or where anyone is gathered sitting), a college campus, or an airport. Perhaps a bus station would work. After the holidays is the PERFECT time to get passes as tons of kids bring out their 3DS systems after they just got them for Xmas. I am actually seeing quite a few playing 3DS systems now, but a year ago there was like no one playing them out in public. Note that I have never seen anyone over 12 play one in public.

The only problem here is I am not sure if streetpass is automatically enabled, the nice thing about Pokemon is the game's c-gear is automatically enabled unless you specifically turn it off when you start playing the game, making it possible to catch people who are playing Pokemon in public. I just stash my DS in my purse and no one even knows its there.

Also you can't get passes if whomever you are passing is playing a regular DS game, for some reason as far as I know. Also its really unlikely that people are going to be walking around with a 3DS on in their pockets or purse turned on, they do in Japan but not in the USA. But there is still opportunity to get passes these days.

[quote name='johnnypark']I'm at MAGFest right now (www.magfest.org) and have completed all the puzzles. The # of passes is totally insane and kinda distracting. I don't know why I care but it's kind of addictive![/QUOTE]

That sounds all right. Not incredibly far drive from me (6 hrs) but I wish I'd known beforehand.

[quote name='SaraAB']I will probably go with the regular 3DS when I get one, I know I can get passes here, heck today I just passed 2 kids playing 3DS systems (don't have a 3DS but I saw them playing). I want the portability and I don't want regular DS games to look crappy. I have gotten passes on my Pokemon Black games too which are different kinds of passes, but I have gotten them. Note you have to be very vigilant, you must take your 3DS or DS out if you are going out every single time!!! That is right every single time!!!

Try going to the mall (food court or where anyone is gathered sitting), a college campus, or an airport. Perhaps a bus station would work. After the holidays is the PERFECT time to get passes as tons of kids bring out their 3DS systems after they just got them for Xmas. I am actually seeing quite a few playing 3DS systems now, but a year ago there was like no one playing them out in public. Note that I have never seen anyone over 12 play one in public.

The only problem here is I am not sure if streetpass is automatically enabled, the nice thing about Pokemon is the game's c-gear is automatically enabled unless you specifically turn it off when you start playing the game, making it possible to catch people who are playing Pokemon in public. I just stash my DS in my purse and no one even knows its there.

Also you can't get passes if whomever you are passing is playing a regular DS game, for some reason as far as I know. Also its really unlikely that people are going to be walking around with a 3DS on in their pockets or purse turned on, they do in Japan but not in the USA. But there is still opportunity to get passes these days.[/QUOTE]

You have to enable streetpass, you have to have the wireless on and the system on (or in sleep mode). I used to leave the wireless off to save battery life, but lately I don't mind.

It's probably my favorite part of the system, but I rarely go out with it because of the other stuff in my pockets. When I visited NYC, I got more hits at the Met Museum than the Nintendo Store. Airports are good but lately I've had no luck.

[quote name='KingBroly']Theatrhytm Final Fantasy

Get it.

Seriously.[/QUOTE]

I tried the demo and didn't like it. I just don't like the concept for a 3DS. I'll stick to Guitar Hero and Dance Dance Revolution.

On another note, I hope the 3DS gets a real Final Fantasy game.

I hope you guys are ready for the impending Pokemon announcement. It's most likely Generation VI releases for 3DS.

I just bought a used 3DS Xl (with Mario Kart pre-installed). Everything seems to be fine with it but it says that there is credit in my eshop account. How do eshop accounts work? Do i need to log off (how?) and create a new account? If i can do that will it affect Mario Kart? Is the credit just linked to the device?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first nintendo portable since the gameboy advance, and i have no idea what i am doing.

I finally got around to getting Crosswords Plus and I'm not a fan of what they've done to the early part of that game. If I'm remembering correctly, Crosswords DS had all of the puzzle modes open up front with some being locked until you play enough of each mode. Plus only offers crosswords up front and even though I've played a good 25 puzzles already, the other puzzle modes are still locked.

I've unlocked a couple of special crossword puzzles, including a gigantic puzzle that took me nearly two hours to complete, but I'm hoping that I really don't have to do a fuck ton of crosswords to unlock the stuff I enjoyed enough in the original that I had to play through first.

[quote name='macontosh2000']I just bought a used 3DS Xl (with Mario Kart pre-installed). Everything seems to be fine with it but it says that there is credit in my eshop account. How do eshop accounts work? Do i need to log off (how?) and create a new account? If i can do that will it affect Mario Kart? Is the credit just linked to the device?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first nintendo portable since the gameboy advance, and i have no idea what i am doing.[/QUOTE]

It's linked to the system, not the device. Which means you have free credit, more or less.

I would detach the current Club Nintendo account and add yours instead, though.

It will not affect the games on the device.

[quote name='macontosh2000']I just bought a used 3DS Xl (with Mario Kart pre-installed). Everything seems to be fine with it but it says that there is credit in my eshop account. How do eshop accounts work? Do i need to log off (how?) and create a new account? If i can do that will it affect Mario Kart? Is the credit just linked to the device?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first nintendo portable since the gameboy advance, and i have no idea what i am doing.[/QUOTE]

No, you don't have a specific account. If there's money there, you can go ahead and spend it.

I already have a physical copy of Mario Kart 7 before I picked up a new 3DS XL with the pre-installed copy. Is there anyway I can transfer the pre-installed game to another 3DS XL? I want to keep the physical copy for me and give my nephew the pre-installed version.

I have the regular flame red 3DS now and for the price I paid ($99) because I managed to find one of the clearanced systems its quite good. DS games look fine on it, the stylus placement could use some help but that is not an issue for me since I prefer to use my own larger stylus. I would probably have a much different opinion of the system if I paid the original $250 asking price... yikes!

I don't think the circle pad actually contacts the top screen as mentioned previously but I do I think the raised bottom of the bottom screen contacts the top screen, however I have noticed this seems to only happen when you put pressure on the top screen. Aka when you are holding the system in your hand and holding the top and bottom at the same time, perhaps putting the system in a pocket would cause this effect. Anyways this can be fixed easily with screen protectors so your screen doesn't get permanently damaged or by putting larger bumpers on the top screen.

For the preinstalled copy of Mario I think a system transfer would work but I think it would take all your data and move it to the other system, unless there is a way to just select the one game to give (which I think there might be). You may have to resort to keeping the preinstalled copy for yourself and giving your nephew the physical copy.

So how does the whole friend thing work again? I have some puzzle pieces and today I got a notice that someone was "visiting" my Mii plaza. This brings my total to 11 out of 110 puzzle pieces. At this rate I'll never get them all.

[quote name='Javery']So how does the whole friend thing work again? I have some puzzle pieces and today I got a notice that someone was "visiting" my Mii plaza. This brings my total to 11 out of 110 puzzle pieces. At this rate I'll never get them all.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that a streetpass? You can get puzzle pieces if you walk around with the 3DS in sleep mode and collect coins. You can get 10 coins per day (100 steps per coin), which adds up to 5 puzzle pieces.

I have only taken mine out a few times so I can't say I have gotten any Streetpasses yet. Keep in mind you can streetpass demo units at Gamestop and Target but I don't think Best Buy units work. But I know exactly where to go in my area to get some passes so I am gonna try this weekend. If not I should have plenty of opportunity during spring and summer. I could have gotten some at this location a couple weeks ago as I walked by several kids with a 3DS, however I did not have a 3DS a couple weeks ago. I will post back when I get some streetpasses.

Presidents day is also coming up, the malls will be really busy, might I suggest going shopping then if you are able to?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I finally got around to getting Crosswords Plus and I'm not a fan of what they've done to the early part of that game. If I'm remembering correctly, Crosswords DS had all of the puzzle modes open up front with some being locked until you play enough of each mode. Plus only offers crosswords up front and even though I've played a good 25 puzzles already, the other puzzle modes are still locked. [/QUOTE]

I don't know about modes, but I recall that it forced you to go through all of the easy crosswords, all of which were as dumb as dirt.

I estimated how long it would take until I got decent difficulty crosswords and traded it in the next opportunity. Nothing beats NYTimes Crosswords.

I won't touch Crosswords Plus. I hope it gets better for you.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have only taken mine out a few times so I can't say I have gotten any Streetpasses yet. [/QUOTE]

Once, I took mine to a children's museum and I got some hits. I was jazzed. I then began taking my 3DS everywhere, including airports.

And got jack. Well, I did get irritation, because I kept checking it was on and wireless was on and got no hits. Haven't bothered since.

I have gotten plenty of hits on my Pokemon Black and Pokemon Black 2 games, and that requires you to walk by a player who is specifically playing Pokemon Black/White or Pokemon Black/White 2! Most recently I got one when I went to this estate sale, and I don't think anyone was playing in the house, and I got one at TJ Maxx, yes TJ Maxx. TJ Maxx has chairs near the entrance and kids frequently sit there and play their DS systems. This leads me to believe I will definitely get streetpasses at some point even if it does take a while, I don't mind being vigilant and patient. My cousin also has a 3DS so I can definitely streetpass him and so does my other cousin but the chances of me seeing him with his 3DS is pretty slim, so at least I have that and the demo units to work off of.

Here's the thing about my area, we have a lot of Canadians here and apparently they love Pokemon, the DS and the 3DS, as all the hits I have gotten on my Pokemon games have been Canadians. How do I know, it tells me their region when I checked the game. I think I am starting to like the Canadians now!

Edit: Got my first streetpass tonight, don't know where it came from. I did go to Target but this Target to my knowledge does not have a DS demo unit at least one that I can see.

Last edited by a moderator:
The unlock system for Crosswords Plus seems to be solely based on playing it on new days, as I unlocked a Word of the Day puzzle mode on my second day with the game and then Word Search on the third day. That's kind of crazy to have it unlock that way without a hint of how that works, but at least I have the mode that I'll burn through right away while slowly working through the crossword puzzles.

It's old and not as good as Picross DS or Picross 3D, but Mario's Picross is worth what it costs ($2 or $3). I'm still hoping for Picross E to show up on the US eShop.

[quote name='Alucard0x']Just got the Mario kart 3ds xl bundle. Any good downloadable games y'all recommend? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Mighty Switch Force (pretty short, but it's fun and I love the 3D effect 2D sprites have on the system)

If you like RPGs, I highly recommend The Denpa Men. It's more dungeon crawler than epic adventure, but I'm addicted to searching for new Denpa Men over WiFi signals when I travel for work.

Cave Story is also really really good, if you don't already have one of the 50 other versions floating around out there.

Art of Balance Touch is also a pretty enjoyable puzzle game from what little I've played so far.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Pushmo is a must. I haven't played Crashmo yet, but I imagine that is probably a must as well.[/QUOTE]

Crashmo is just as good if not better.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']It's old and not as good as Picross DS or Picross 3D, but Mario's Picross is worth what it costs ($2 or $3). I'm still hoping for Picross E to show up on the US eShop.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, wtf is up with that. Is it still not up? (haven't checked in a while). Picked up Picross 3D again and would def be in for more Picross goodness. There are a few apps for iPhone but they're just not as good (the controls are nowhere near as refined).

[quote name='Zmonkay']Seriously, wtf is up with that. Is it still not up? (haven't checked in a while). Picked up Picross 3D again and would def be in for more Picross goodness. There are a few apps for iPhone but they're just not as good (the controls are nowhere near as refined).[/QUOTE]

To make it worse, Europe got Picross e2 this week while we can't even get the first one.

I just picked up Paper Mario despite all the negativity... I'm sure it will be at least OK. That makes 5 retail games already for me + Pushmo. I'm planning on getting Luigi's Mansion in March too. The system is definitely picking up steam...

[quote name='Javery']I just picked up Paper Mario despite all the negativity... I'm sure it will be at least OK. That makes 5 retail games already for me + Pushmo. I'm planning on getting Luigi's Mansion in March too. The system is definitely picking up steam...[/QUOTE]

I picked it up as well. It is pretty awesome.

Pretty bummed the 30th anniversary sale on the WiiU isn't on the 3DS as well. One more reason it's totally absurd to not have a unified network and cross platform compatibility for VC games.

I heard rune factory 4 is coming to the USA via XSeed

Also I have another question, is it normal for the regular 3DS to take this long to charge. I plugged mine in at literately 10:20 this morning and it did not shut off until about 1:40pm, this is with only one bar of life gone (the other 3 bars were present, I think there are 4 bars.) I am finding charging times for this system to be abnormally long. Heck I think this system takes longer to charge than my iPad 2, which only takes this long to charge if its well depleted. However the 3DS with only 1 bar depleted takes several hours to charge. Really not an issue with me because I play at home thus I can plug my system in any time but these long charging times are really unacceptable in today's world especially when the battery lasts so little on the 3DS. I don't even play with the 3D on and I play mostly regular DS games, so I should be getting longer battery life than someone who played with the 3D on and played 3DS games but its still absolutely terrible.

However, the BEST thing about the 3DS is NO HEALTH AND SAFETY SCREEN at startup! I cannot stress how good of a feature this is, as its extremely annoying to see that screen every time you boot up a handheld system, so this is quite awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is definitely not normal. I don't think it takes that long to charge my 3DS when it is completely dead. Does this happen regardless of where you charge it? And do you have more than one cable to test with?

bread's done
Back