Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I posted about it in the eShop thread, but it'll probably get more exposure here. It's been confirmed that we'll be getting the Zelda Oracle games sometime.[/QUOTE]

Never owned them. Will definitely look into.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Then what is it?

The Bit.Trip Saga sale is over anyways. Crashmo is $5.99 for the next week.[/QUOTE]

Crud. I would have snagged it earlier today if the 3DS supported storing more than 3 wifi networks at a time, but I wasn't nearby any of my usual spots/home and didn't have time to go through all the networking crap.

Was going to wait to purchase a 3DS in hopes a Mario Golf or DK bundle came out, but patient I am not.

Therefore, going to buy a flame red tonight, but I noticed a difference in the standard 3DS box size. I'm assuming the larger boxes have the charging cradle vs.the smaller boxes only have an AC adapter. Are there any differences other than this and is the charging cradle worth it?

[quote name='whoknows']I have the charging cradle.

I don't even know where it is. That's how useful it is.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I have one that I've never used.

I don't think I used the cradle once when I had the original 3DS, so I definitely didn't complain when my XL didn't come with one.

I love the Wii U Gamepad charging stand, though. I couldn't do without that.

My cradle is sitting in the system box, I have never used it. Kind of pointless when plugging in the adapter takes the same amount of time as sticking it in the cradle, then you have to find a place to put the cradle...

Honestly, the 3DS was the system that really showed me how awesome charging cradles were... the idea of just walking in and plunking it down without having to worry about figuring out where the cord went was a really great convenience.

One of the first things I did when I got my XL was to give Nintendo $25 to give me the big charging cradle. I love the damn thing... wish I had one for everything I need to plug in on a daily basis.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Then what is it?

The Bit.Trip Saga sale is over anyways. Crashmo is $5.99 for the next week.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't told, unfortunately. I get the feeling that it does create some kind of backup somewhere and somehow though.

I love the charging cradle.
Even imported one from Japan for the XL. (i know NoA sells it but it was actually cheaper this way)

[quote name='dallow']I love the charging cradle.
Even imported one from Japan for the XL. (i know NoA sells it but it was actually cheaper this way)[/QUOTE]

link to where you picked it up? I hate not having a cradle for my XL...

I just finally opened my 3ds form the MK7 bundle when it was $170 and I totally forgot I even had a Wii. I'm sure I didn't login as whatever name I used on the Wii. Did I screw myself out of anything? The only digital games I bought were World of Goo and Super Mario Kart. There's not even an actual account ala Xbox and PS3, right?

[quote name='darrenaero']I just finally opened my 3ds form the MK7 bundle when it was $170 and I totally forgot I even had a Wii. I'm sure I didn't login as whatever name I used on the Wii. Did I screw myself out of anything? The only digital games I bought were World of Goo and Super Mario Kart. There's not even an actual account ala Xbox and PS3, right?[/QUOTE]

Nope

Nope I didn't screw myself or nope there's no universal Nintendo account? Or both? So there's no way whatever points balance I have on my wii can be used on the 3DS?

[quote name='darrenaero']Nope I didn't screw myself or nope there's no universal Nintendo account? Or both? So there's no way whatever points balance I have on my wii can be used on the 3DS?[/QUOTE]

Each system's shop is it's own. No overlap. Even the 3DS and WiiU are seperate. You can move purchased games between like systems (DS to 3DS, Wii to WiiU) with a full wipe, but points are generally stuck to the initial system (except for Wii to WiiU, but they're still locked to that new system's Wii mode). The Wii and DS even use a points system, whereas the newer consoles just use dollar amounts.

Short answer... Having a Wii changes absolutely nothing about owning a 3DS in terms of shops or accounts. You can transfer Miis, though, if you want.

[quote name='007']Each system's shop is it's own. No overlap. Even the 3DS and WiiU are seperate. You can move purchased games between like systems (DS to 3DS, Wii to WiiU) with a full wipe, but points are generally stuck to the initial system (except for Wii to WiiU, but they're still locked to that new system's Wii mode). The Wii and DS even use a points system, whereas the newer consoles just use dollar amounts.

Short answer... Having a Wii changes absolutely nothing about owning a 3DS in terms of shops or accounts. You can transfer Miis, though, if you want.[/QUOTE]

Ahh. Got it. Thanks for the thorough explanation! Couldn't care less about the Miis. Would've like to play Super Mario Kart though on the go. :(

[quote name='007']Each system's shop is it's own. No overlap. Even the 3DS and WiiU are seperate. You can move purchased games between like systems (DS to 3DS, Wii to WiiU) with a full wipe, but points are generally stuck to the initial system (except for Wii to WiiU, but they're still locked to that new system's Wii mode). The Wii and DS even use a points system, whereas the newer consoles just use dollar amounts.

Short answer... Having a Wii changes absolutely nothing about owning a 3DS in terms of shops or accounts. You can transfer Miis, though, if you want.[/QUOTE]

Re: points, I had $5.xx in my account when I transferred to my XL and the cash went with it. It transfers literally everything and resets the old system as if it's fresh out of the box.

Thanks everyone for the advice on the cradle. I went with the older 3DS box so I could get the cradle and really like it. Charging it up now. Flame red!

Now the problem was I had to drive 30 miles extra to find Fire Emblem. Sold out everywhere around me. Called to confirm and then drove to a Walmart in the boonies to get their last copy. WM employee actually held it for me.

Pretty excited. I waited for a DS lite before adopting that cycle and there were already plenty of good games out. I was seeing the dollar signs on future purchases, Layton, MK7 and a couple of the Marios.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I posted about it in the eShop thread, but it'll probably get more exposure here. It's been confirmed that we'll be getting the Zelda Oracle games sometime.[/QUOTE]

best news.

I'm disappointed this board is dead after I just got my 3DS. Anyway, my first game was Fire Emblem and have played it for about 2-3 hours so far. Overall, the 3D, sound and quality of the images is amazing. Additionally, I've never played a strategy rpg before, so this entire experience so far is a blast.

I'm waiting on GS B2G1 sale to pick up some of the older titles I haven't played yet and am looking forward to a good 4 others announced so far this year.

Now this Streetpass is going to take some strategy. I work right beside a childrens dentist office, so I'm thinking Ill leave the 3DS in the car and park as close as possible to that office.

Or take up smoking, in front of the dentists office. Set a good example for the chil'ren.

I get a lot of streetpasses at the mall, I mean not a lot, but 1-2 each time I go it seems, on a Saturday or Sunday or other times when it is really busy. I was thinking at a mall you could also catch workers who were on break playing as well as people who are playing in the mall. This mall does not have stores with demo units so its not that. I also got one on the highway or thruway in NY state as we call it, I assume I got one on the highway as I left my house and did not stop driving and I checked the DS when I stopped at my first stop and there was the streetpass.

I always make sure to walk around the food court every time I go to the mall, the 3DS is hidden in my purse so no one knows what I am doing. I would imagine if someone caught me trying to get streetpasses that would make me look quite creepy if you get my drift. In fact I probably shouldn't even be talking about this here. You should even walk through the food court several times during your mall trips if you stay for a while.

I am sure the dentist's office would be a great place to catch streetpasses, when I was going to the dentist for braces there would always be a ton of kids in there playing some kind of game system (although this was quite a few years ago), so I would imagine it would be the same for the dentist in your area. The dentists offices that I have to visit with my family don't really have any kids in them at all.

You aren't allowed to smoke outside of public buildings such as medical buildings in NY state, you aren't even allowed to smoke anywhere near a doctors office or hospital campus not even in your car so that would not work.

Also going by schools does not work, I live directly across from a school, like one fairly narrow street inbetween my house and the school and nothing. Kids aren't allowed to bring electronics to school that is probably why.

We also need a friend code thread for the 3DS, I could not find one (there is one for the Wii U), and I have no friends.

I work at a hospital/university and also am doing some graduate studies there. We have two campuses and going between them and passing through on my way to my office or class, I get at least one a day, sometimes as many as three.

I tried the Lords of Shadow demo. It's a pretty decent God of War game - button mashing, quick time events, cartoonish pecs, big monsters, you name it. If you're into that stuff, check it out.

Not much of a castlevania game though. There's a map and a whip and you fight monsters. Wish they'd put out aria of sorrow on VC

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I tried the Lords of Shadow demo. It's a pretty decent God of War game - button mashing, quick time events, cartoonish pecs, big monsters, you name it. If you're into that stuff, check it out.

Not much of a castlevania game though. There's a map and a whip and you fight monsters. Wish they'd put out aria of sorrow on VC[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I tried the demo and thought the combat was decent but I mean the rest of the game feels very limited. It's like they took a metroidvania, stripped all of the rpgness as of stats, tons of gear, etc and replaced it with god of war/2D brawler combat. I mean it's not bad, but I kinda was hoping for more. I will still buy it because I have that $30 newegg preorder from ages ago, but I would of loved it to turn out like a metroidvania mixed with the combat.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I tried the Lords of Shadow demo. It's a pretty decent God of War game - button mashing, quick time events, cartoonish pecs, big monsters, you name it. If you're into that stuff, check it out.

Not much of a castlevania game though. There's a map and a whip and you fight monsters. Wish they'd put out aria of sorrow on VC[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as soon as I saw the whip flailing around in an area attack like Kratos, I was bummed. Even the green health bars!

Really disappointing IMO. I loved all the GBA and DS Castlevania games, and was hoping this would come close to doing them justice. Unless the reviews are unexpectedly positive I'll be skipping this one.

[quote name='SaraAB']I would imagine if someone caught me trying to get streetpasses that would make me look quite creepy if you get my drift.[/QUOTE]
I guess that makes me a huge creep, then.

Seems like people always forget that Castlevania wasn't always the metroidvania style. This is the same style as the pre SOTN games. If anything, people could say the series stopped being Castlevania once Symphony of The Night came out since that was completely different from the games that came before.

Anyway, I prefer this style over the metroidvania style, so I really liked the demo.

P.S. Super Castlevania IV >>>>> Any metroidvania style Castlevania game.

The green health pools and range attacks are all carry over from the C:LoS game that came out a few years ago. It's a blatent rip off of the hack&slash style, but it was fun.

Just got a 3DS XL and was surprised StreetPass is not like Near on the PS Vita where instances of people's online activity is saved with location data. So you kind of "check in" and get the recent goodies/user info from everyone who played in that area. Granted there's no persistent stuff to do with the feature like puzzle pieces or Mii Plaza. I was just hoping I didn't need to physically pass by someone who has their system at that moment, but overall it's a fun little system.

After Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, I guess it was only a matter of time before they announced something similar for Devil Survivor 2.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517794
At a pre-screening event for the Devil Survivor 2 anime, Atlus officially announced Devil Survivor 2 Break Record for the 3DS. Not much info about it though, just that it would contain some new story content.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='humidore']Just got a 3DS XL and was surprised StreetPass is not like Near on the PS Vita where instances of people's online activity is saved with location data. So you kind of "check in" and get the recent goodies/user info from everyone who played in that area. Granted there's no persistent stuff to do with the feature like puzzle pieces or Mii Plaza. I was just hoping I didn't need to physically pass by someone who has their system at that moment, but overall it's a fun little system.[/QUOTE]

That's how Near works? I can't figure that shit out at all. Nintendo had the right idea, I think, it takes 5 minutes to figure out Street Pass and then games actually get things from it (high score challenges, etc.) in addition to the puzzles and Find Mii.

[quote name='johnnypark']That's how Near works? I can't figure that shit out at all. Nintendo had the right idea, I think, it takes 5 minutes to figure out Street Pass and then games actually get things from it (high score challenges, etc.) in addition to the puzzles and Find Mii.[/QUOTE]

You get stuff from Near as well, like costumes, weapons, things like that. I like that they're far easier and more possible to get from people too since you don't need to walk by them.

I like Street Pass as well, but my problem is after about a year and a half I've only gotten 1 street pass.

I had no idea how Near works either (still don't, really) and I certainly didn't know that you get stuff from it. Whenever I use it, it shows one or two people and tells me what game they last played and I think that's about it. Everything about that app is confusing to me, especially the UI.

Near is better with a big friends list. I trade items all the time with it. Getting items from strangers in Near is more a bonus.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I had no idea how Near works either (still don't, really) and I certainly didn't know that you get stuff from it. Whenever I use it, it shows one or two people and tells me what game they last played and I think that's about it. Everything about that app is confusing to me, especially the UI.[/QUOTE]
It basically lookups all of the recent location updates within a certain radius and shows you where they were at around you, what they've played, and a couple of those game lists have gifts attached to them. The present button has all of the gifts from your PSN friends for various games, which you can set to automatically download things for games you own.

Near is basically what StreetPass stuff would be like if it were contained in one app and done via SpotPass so you didn't need to physically come into close contact with other 3DS owners.

I was confused about NEAR as well, thanks FriskyTanuki for the info on it. I am playing pokemon white v2 again going to try to finish it before pokemon X chromosome and Y chromosome come out

Okay, finished the Castlevania demo. People who want a 2D combat-intensive game will probably enjoy it, but quick-time boss fights on a handheld are just a terrible, derivative, uninteresting idea to me. I realize the original Lords of Shadow played much the same way, but it feels more forgiving in a 3D space. This game is trying to emulate the look of other 2D Castlevania's but clearly has nothing to do with them.

I think there's room for both kinds of games, but it looks like this is the direction of the series for the time being and that's a major bummer.

I don't mind QTEs on a handheld, but rapid button presses on a handheld (particularly one that needs to be held at a particular angle to look good) are not welcome.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It basically lookups all of the recent location updates within a certain radius and shows you where they were at around you, what they've played, and a couple of those game lists have gifts attached to them. The present button has all of the gifts from your PSN friends for various games, which you can set to automatically download things for games you own.

Near is basically what StreetPass stuff would be like if it were contained in one app and done via SpotPass so you didn't need to physically come into close contact with other 3DS owners.[/QUOTE]
Ah, gotcha, thanks for clarifying that. That kinda explains why I've had so much more success with StreetPass: I don't have PSN friends! Well, I have two, but neither of them own a Vita. And since the Vita is more expensive, not so many people around here have it. It probably also doesn't help that I only turn it on every few weeks. My 3DS, on the other hand, is always with me, so I usually meet at least one person when I go out (in fact, I got one StreetPass at our tiny zoo today).

[quote name='ZombieToast']Ah, gotcha, thanks for clarifying that. That kinda explains why I've had so much more success with StreetPass: I don't have PSN friends! Well, I have two, but neither of them own a Vita. And since the Vita is more expensive, not so many people around here have it. It probably also doesn't help that I only turn it on every few weeks. My 3DS, on the other hand, is always with me, so I usually meet at least one person when I go out (in fact, I got one StreetPass at our tiny zoo today).[/QUOTE]

They don't need to be on your friends list for Near, it can help though. When I'm on Near I can see a bunch of people that aren't on my friends list. A lot of them have tried to add me though. Getting a friend request that says "I live close to you" can be kinda creepy though :lol:

[quote name='johnnypark']Okay, finished the Castlevania demo. People who want a 2D combat-intensive game will probably enjoy it, but quick-time boss fights on a handheld are just a terrible, derivative, uninteresting idea to me. I realize the original Lords of Shadow played much the same way, but it feels more forgiving in a 3D space. This game is trying to emulate the look of other 2D Castlevania's but clearly has nothing to do with them.

I think there's room for both kinds of games, but it looks like this is the direction of the series for the time being and that's a major bummer.[/QUOTE]
I passed by that one area and I could already tell there would be a lot of back tracking. One door only opened for dark magic one only for light but the game was fun I'll rent it and buy it from gamefly if I like it

[quote name='whoknows']They don't need to be on your friends list for Near, it can help though. When I'm on Near I can see a bunch of people that aren't on my friends list. A lot of them have tried to add me though. Getting a friend request that says "I live close to you" can be kinda creepy though :lol:[/QUOTE]
The people near you on the map don't need to be your friends, but there's also a list of gifts directly from your friends that can be filled with stuff if you have more people on your list.

Managed to get my first two streetpasses today. Went to Gamestop and then a Mexican restaurant. Based on the time, I got one in each. Even better that my Mii's greeting is Que Pasa.

Still impressed by the 3D after a week. Fire Emblem looks absolutely fantastic.

[quote name='whoknows']They don't need to be on your friends list for Near, it can help though. When I'm on Near I can see a bunch of people that aren't on my friends list. A lot of them have tried to add me though. Getting a friend request that says "I live close to you" can be kinda creepy though :lol:[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, I get that they don't have to be on my friends list; I just mentioned it because there isn't really anybody nearby who owns a Vita so I don't usually find any strangers. I live in a relatively poor neighborhood in a relatively poor city. And I only have the WiFi version, so it's no good on the go (hotspots aren't exactly common here). But yeah, I can totally see that being kinda creepy. I run into something similar with a couple of the location-based Windows Phone apps I use like Qonqr and Outsider.

I ended up canceling my castlevania preorder. I was thinking about it and I realized I just did not care for the new style. I mean the old style of games were good because they were platformers. Then we have the metroidvanias which were great action like rpg games.

This is just a generic 2D brawler with a map system. I think I will wait till it gets sub $20 level.

bread's done
Back