Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

Radiant Dawn easier than Shadow Dragon?! We're playing the same game here, right lol? Radiant Dawn was one of the most brutal Fire Emblems I've ever played, imports included. Thracia 776 and Genealogy of the Holy War are the only other ones to match Radiant Dawn in difficulty, for me anyway.

I truly believe Shadow Dragon is the easiest one in the series, by far. Maybe Sacred Stones but I think Shadow Dragon may be easier than it. :D What's giving you a hard time man?

[quote name='Josef']Anyone know when the 3DS shop is going to be available to download games? I'm getting a little anxious and have a ton of points to burn.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo's said May, though who knows.

[quote name='M-PG71C']Radiant Dawn easier than Shadow Dragon?! We're playing the same game here, right lol? Radiant Dawn was one of the most brutal Fire Emblems I've ever played, imports included. Thracia 776 and Genealogy of the Holy War are the only other ones to match Radiant Dawn in difficulty, for me anyway.

I truly believe Shadow Dragon is the easiest one in the series, by far. Maybe Sacred Stones but I think Shadow Dragon may be easier than it. :D What's giving you a hard time man?[/QUOTE]

We're talking about the DS one and the Wii one, right? I've gotten stuck in all Fire Emblem games except the Gamecube one, which I really liked. But I got a lot further in the Wii one than the others. Got slaughtered almost immediately in the DS one.

[quote name='Josef']Anyone know when the 3DS shop is going to be available to download games? I'm getting a little anxious and have a ton of points to burn.[/QUOTE]

i hear may we get our shop/internet/video update.

When the eShop starts... a new currency will start. Any current points you have now, will not be able to be transferred.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']When the eShop starts... a new currency will start. Any current points you have now, will not be able to be transferred.[/QUOTE]

But you can use your points on a current DSi and transfer your purchases over, right?

Started playing PilotWings and enjoying everything except landing. Uggh.

I've stopped trying for perfect landings for now and have just been going for 3 stars on each level.

With all the posts about people having difficulty finding 1 last balloon, I was rather surprised that I got all of them with very little trouble. There were a few in caves that took a few tries to get but other than that they were all rather easy to spot flying around at night.

So far I enjoy flying all the aircraft, trying to land the hang glider and rocket belt are a royal pain though. I keep overshooting the target by going too fast in an effort to beat the finish time.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']:'(

My cousin dropped my 3DS and it snapped[/QUOTE]

1) Oh, snap!

2) See if that trick works on your cousin.

Seriously, though, that stinks, hombre.

I need to pick up something other than SFIV. I'm looking at my 3DS like "yep. Got a 3DS. How about that...now I guess I can play some Street Fighter again."

Or go play Chrono Trigger on my DSi XL instead.

*cringes* Sorry to hear that.

I spend a lot of time in the basement which has been converted to a large office plus a rec room. The floor is tiled so I gotta be extra careful while carrying anything fragile including my 3DS. Hoping to get the basement padded-n-carpeted someday in the future...it'd set me back a couple thousand, tho...ugh.

I'd suggest that we don't let anyone else play our 3DSs while standing. Make them play seated and maybe tell them not to play Face Raiders or similar games. Better safe than sorry.

Any news on when Gameboy store opens or release list for months of April and May. Still looking for that one game I'll like before taking the 3DS plunge.

[quote name='laaj']Any news on when Gameboy store opens or release list for months of April and May. Still looking for that one game I'll like before taking the 3DS plunge.[/QUOTE]

May, supposedly.

My 15$ Shadow Wars from Amazon just came today. I've been playing it for a little bit, so far these are my impressions. Music is pretty good, but the graphics and controls could have used some work. There's very little support for the circle pad. I'm enjoying the art design, but the 3D hasn't really impressed me that much.. It's pretty much just "there", nothing really spectacular was attempted to take advantage of it. Game-play is also pretty good as well.

This is pretty much a

[quote name='confoosious']I don't see the issue here: you break it, you bought it. You don't want to buy things you break, don't drop my 3DS.[/QUOTE]

kinda hard considering the kid is underage and family, which is really a double whammy. rarely will family members make situations "right" and compensate for their bratty offspring.

Does anyone know of a good case with an arm strap loop? I'm kinda disapointed there is no arm strap loop with the 3ds like there was with the GBA, DS and DS Lite.

[quote name='KingDox']Does anyone know of a good case with an arm strap loop? I'm kinda disapointed there is no arm strap loop with the 3ds like there was with the GBA, DS and DS Lite.[/QUOTE]

Some DS Lite cases will work on the 3DS. Camera cases are another way to go.

http://mynintendonews.com/2011/04/05/nintendo-3ds-nintendo-3ds-successfully-used-to-catch-cheating-husband/

LOL turn off your streetpass if you bring your 3DS with you while cheating

[quote name='Wolfpup']Nintendo's said May, though who knows.

We're talking about the DS one and the Wii one, right? I've gotten stuck in all Fire Emblem games except the Gamecube one, which I really liked. But I got a lot further in the Wii one than the others. Got slaughtered almost immediately in the DS one.[/QUOTE]

Shadow Dragon was the easiest for me! And I also loved the Gamecube one. I own Radiant Dawn but only got a little of the way thru because I thought that one was too difficult.

[quote name='QiG']http://mynintendonews.com/2011/04/05/nintendo-3ds-nintendo-3ds-successfully-used-to-catch-cheating-husband/

LOL turn off your streetpass if you bring your 3DS with you while cheating[/QUOTE]

But is that evidence going to hold up in divorce court? Defense lawyers will demand the source code and Nintendo won't allow that. And she could have got near the other woman for streetpass before and claim that happened in some other time.

[quote name='laaj']But is that evidence going to hold up in divorce court? Defense lawyers will demand the source code and Nintendo won't allow that. And she could have got near the other woman for streetpass before and claim that happened in some other time.[/QUOTE]

Doubtful, but the story is shenanigans anyway. Following the sources, BitMob had it as an April Fool's post that they decided to highlight three days later.

@Wolfpup

I believe so, Radiant Dawn is the Wii one, Shadow Dragon the DS one. I really thought the DS one was pretty easy really, especially with the save spots on the map. What's killing you in Shadow Dragon lol? It's been a couple years since I played it so refresh my memory lol

I wanted to love Shadow Dragon, and I did, for a while. But when I kept retrying missions to try to keep certain party members alive or to rescue certain players -- urgh. Maybe I should have just taken my losses and moved on.

I love the idea of strategy games, but I'm never great at them.

[quote name='KingDox']Does anyone know of a good case with an arm strap loop? I'm kinda disapointed there is no arm strap loop with the 3ds like there was with the GBA, DS and DS Lite.[/QUOTE]

There is... There's actually two. They're just in odd spots. They're on the front bottom corners of the 3DS. You'll have to provide your own wrist strap though.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']When the eShop starts... a new currency will start. Any current points you have now, will not be able to be transferred.[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks. They use the same point system for Wii and DSi yet 3DS has to use something different? Dumb.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I wanted to love Shadow Dragon, and I did, for a while. But when I kept retrying missions to try to keep certain party members alive or to rescue certain players -- urgh. Maybe I should have just taken my losses and moved on.

I love the idea of strategy games, but I'm never great at them.[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem. Advance Wars worked so much more better for me. Have you given that a try?

[quote name='UncleBob']There is... There's actually two. They're just in odd spots. They're on the front bottom corners of the 3DS. You'll have to provide your own wrist strap though.[/QUOTE]

very awesome, thanks I wonder how I missed them. I took the arm strap from my DS to my DS lite to my 3DS. Am I the only one who ever used the "shoe" to control stuff on the DS? It sure has felt that way since I never hear anyone talk about it.

another battery pack has hit the market. Newbie Battery Extender. It acts as a second battery. it basically tops of the internal until the extended runs out and the last line of defense is the internal battery.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/4355012154/nintendo-3ds-powerplay-battery-extender-from

I think it makes the 3DS look ugly...but atleast you do not have to unscrew the rear cover off and acts as a case too....gonna wait for reviews on this one.

A lot of retailers have the protection plans that can be bought within 30 days.... I would jump on that so quick.

[quote name='integralsmatic']another battery pack has hit the market. Newbie Battery Extender. It acts as a second battery. it basically tops of the internal until the extended runs out and the last line of defense is the internal battery.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/4355012154/nintendo-3ds-powerplay-battery-extender-from

I think it makes the 3DS look ugly...but atleast you do not have to unscrew the rear cover off and acts as a case too....gonna wait for reviews on this one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but:

"it lasts 9 to 15 hours with 3D turned on, and 15 to 24 hours with 3D turned off."

Come to think of it, I have a Duracell NiMH charger (that may not be offered anymore, unfortunately) that you can reverse, so it provides power through a USB cable. With a USB cable for the 3DS, you could basically extend it forever, until your supply of AA or AAA batteries ran out, and a single set of them would probably power that thing for ages.

It was confirmed in Nintendo Power that BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II is coming to the U.S. this Spring from Aksys Games.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']kinda hard considering the kid is underage and family, which is really a double whammy. rarely will family members make situations "right" and compensate for their bratty offspring.[/QUOTE]

why are you answering for i killed chewbacca?

[quote name='confoosious']I don't see the issue here: you break it, you bought it. You don't want to buy things you break, don't drop my 3DS.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kurrptsenate']kinda hard considering the kid is underage and family, which is really a double whammy. rarely will family members make situations "right" and compensate for their bratty offspring.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='confoosious']why are you answering for i killed chewbacca?[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I wondered too!

Whats up here?

[quote name='foltzie']http://m.kotaku.com/5788720/so-i-took-my-3ds-to-the-eye-doctor

Interesting.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much if you can't see the 3D you may have a lazy eye or other ocular muscle disorders.

If you get a sense of vertigo hours after looking at the screen you could have brain issues which can arise from having glaucoma (or could have suffered a stroke or other brain trauma in the past).

It's almost like having a built in eye exam :lol:

The 2 doctors neither condem nor condone the 3D, but doctors never condem or condone anything for leisure and always recommend moderation. Doctor Mario recommends the 3D.

I'm not so sure about that-other experts have said the issue is focusing on...oh I can't even remember how they explained it, but it's something we don't do naturally, and has nothing to do with eye defects or anything. I seriously doubt the issues are limited to only 10% of people either, given in real life over half of people I've talked to about it have issues. (With theatrical "3D" at least-most haven't used a 3DS)

They have AA packs that come with a USB cable for cell phones so I am sure you could make one of these work with the 3DS. Like I said the Music Power encore charger will definitely work and will only run you $10-15 plus a DSi/3DS/DSiXL USB cable but you will have to have the cord and charger hanging from the 3DS, or set it down on a table or slip the charger into your pocket.

I love how all these battery packs are so expensive, when they are probably just cheap chinese batteries inside a plastic case. I wonder how long the batteries inside the cases will last or if they will run out of charge quickly or if they will have an effect on the Nintendo battery that is actually provided with your system (obviously not the nyko one since you take it out but the other one might affect the battery in your system).

For the original DS I had an extended battery pack from some company, it was kinda cool cause it was basically just an extra battery and holder, I think it was by nyko. It made the DS look very weird and it didn't lie flat on a table but yes, it did provide enough power to play animal crossing on wifi for almost a full day before having to plug in and charge. But it lost its charge quickly, and at this point it barely works. It only cost around $10 (which is about the cost of a pack of 8-10 AA's these days) so I got my money's worth out of it easily. But I would be a little cautionary about spending $40 for a 3rd party extended battery pack especially if you expect to get more than a year's use out of it.

Honestly I wish these portables and cell phones and iPods just used AA batteries like they used to. More power, more options, cheaper :whistle2:/ Oh noes, they'd have to be marginally larger. Noooooo!

LOL. It would take a lot of AA's to power a smartphone for any significant amount of time. I have a 4 battery AA charger thing I intended to use with my iPhone to recharge it, and with a freshly charged set of Eneloop batteries it might give perhaps 10 to 15 minutes of run time, or you can charge it a tiny bit. Or maybe it wasn't even that long. I can't remember now, I just remember that it was pretty utterly useless and has gone into the junk drawer. It's also heavier and thicker then my iPhone, even though providing such pathetic power.

[quote name='crunchewy']LOL. It would take a lot of AA's to power a smartphone for any significant amount of time. I have a 4 battery AA charger thing I intended to use with my iPhone to recharge it, and with a freshly charged set of Eneloop batteries it might give perhaps 10 to 15 minutes of run time, or you can charge it a tiny bit. Or maybe it wasn't even that long. I can't remember now, I just remember that it was pretty utterly useless and has gone into the junk drawer. It's also heavier and thicker then my iPhone, even though providing such pathetic power.[/QUOTE]

Whaaaaat?!? That doesn't sound right at all. A single AA should have considerably more power than a cell phone battery, let alone 4 AAs. AAs are usually 2000-2800Mah per battery, versus maybe 800-1500 for a cell phone battery.

So can the 3DS project a 3D image or is everything confined to "inside" the screen? I've only demoed SFIV for about 10 minutes at a GameStop and I guess I expected shit to be flying out at me.

[quote name='Javery']So can the 3DS project a 3D image or is everything confined to "inside" the screen? I've only demoed SFIV for about 10 minutes at a GameStop and I guess I expected shit to be flying out at me.[/QUOTE]

From what I had heard, I THOUGHT it was all just inside the screen, but I read something recently that some game or maybe picture or something looked like it popped out a little bit...so...I guess it's a limitation of the tech, but maybe can do it a bit.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Whaaaaat?!? That doesn't sound right at all. A single AA should have considerably more power than a cell phone battery, let alone 4 AAs. AAs are usually 2000-2800Mah per battery, versus maybe 800-1500 for a cell phone battery.[/QUOTE]

rechargeable batteries used in electronics > AA > rechargeable AA.

[quote name='confoosious']rechargeable batteries used in electronics > AA > rechargeable AA.[/QUOTE]

Why? Those are reverse order in terms of power and flexibility. NiMH AAs have way more power than proprietary batteries in these things do (and I think more than alkalines too).

AA/AAAs are larger of course, but IMO that's not a huge deal, as past a certain point I haven't found it useful to keep shrinking stuff, and if it means you could slap on a bigger screen, have more battery life, and be able to swap batteries on a whim...

I really miss those days :/

Well in ghost recon it appears that the faces, and details of the missions are popped out of the screen.

Then when you play smoke is in the forefront while the aerial view seems to go into the screen.

I would say maybe an inch or two at most.. not 3-5 incehs out of the screen.

As mentioned some of the pictures really jump out at you.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be hilarious if it could look like stuff was flying right out at your face :lol:

So far my favorite use of "3D" was the Alice trailer in front of Avatar (my first and last "3D" film), where the cheshire cat flies at you. That was silly but fun.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Well if nothing else, it's right on the packaging.[/QUOTE]

i'm not sure if i'm being trolled. But you need to do some research.

bread's done
Back